Chima Month is Here!

Legends of Chima is one of the biggest themes that LEGO kicked off in the past few years, following the pattern of Ninjago and Bionicle before it. Here at BZPower, we have decided to take a greater interest in the theme to help widen our audience. That's why April is Chima Month, and will be full of reviews, contests, raffles, news, and more! If you like free LEGO sets and Chima, this is your lucky month! Read on to see what we have in store.

Note: this story will stay updated with the latest news and activities regarding Chima Month, so keep checking back!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

The actual prank should be evident enough, unless you're new to BZP, perhaps, which is ironic.

EDIT: Also, good to see the March flickr contest prize is in. ;)

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

It haste been ten years since Lord Hapori Dume came upon us. How sad that he has not returned to his true power.

Edited by Rhaegar Targaryen
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

This is a lot cooler than the April Fool's prank I was expecting. This works out great since I have been working on catching up with Lego's other story focused themes and have finished the cartoon and both video games.

Even though the cartoon had some problems, I am looking forward to the second season. I think that adding an overarching goal to the story will keep things more focused and fix a lot of those problems.

I wouldn't mind some more theme months if this turns out well.

EDIT: I just noticed the spinning icons that tell how old an account is changed. I am not sure if it is an April Fool's thing or the icons are switching to things that are more system based for this month, but I found it funny.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

......WHY GOD? WHY COULDN'T BZPOWER STAY CONSTRACTION-ONLY?! WHY?

Well believe it or not, there has been just a teensy bit of thought about this new direction. We've had pretty intense discussions behind the scenes for almost a year now about what it is that draws people to BZPower, and after extensive looks at post data (where the most activity has been in the forums year after year), the survey results, and our own analysis it's become super clear that it's not CONSTRACTION style building that draws people to BZPower. Sure, it's a component, but the thing that has made us who we are, the thing that makes us different from just another Lego news site, is our intense focus on Lego storylines. Literally nobody else does this - you can go anywhere to find a review of any given set, but news about the latest books? Reviews of the movies and TV shows? Theories about how they integrate together, what is canon, what isn't, and discussion about minor details that end up being missed by the majority of the audience? That's the thing that makes us special. So the conclusion from there is pretty simple - we need to focus on Lego's story-based themes as much as possible, because that's our sweet spot.

AND anyway Chima WAS a constraction line until like three weeks ago, so the point's kind of moot.

• Upvote 6

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Well believe it or not, there has been just a teensy bit of thought about this new direction. We've had pretty intense discussions behind the scenes for almost a year now about what it is that draws people to BZPower, and after extensive looks at post data (where the most activity has been in the forums year after year), the survey results, and our own analysis it's become super clear that it's not CONSTRACTION style building that draws people to BZPower. Sure, it's a component, but the thing that has made us who we are, the thing that makes us different from just another Lego news site, is our intense focus on Lego storylines. Literally nobody else does this - you can go anywhere to find a review of any given set, but news about the latest books? Reviews of the movies and TV shows? Theories about how they integrate together, what is canon, what isn't, and discussion about minor details that end up being missed by the majority of the audience? That's the thing that makes us special. So the conclusion from there is pretty simple - we need to focus on Lego's story-based themes as much as possible, because that's our sweet spot.

AND anyway Chima WAS a constraction line until like three weeks ago, so the point's kind of moot.

Thank you.

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

BZPower hasn't been constraction-only for years.

Has it ever been completely constraction-only?

up until late 2011, yes.

Not really. Even before then, it had the LEGO General Discussion subforum and Completely Off-Topic subforum. The 2011 update just increased the visibility of other LEGO discussion in accordance with its increased significance in BIONICLE's absence.

The idea that non-constraction themes aren't relevant to BZPower is terribly outdated. Even when the site was focused strictly on BIONICLE, it hardly limited that focus to discussion of the sets. On the contrary, there were a number of BIONICLE fans with little to no interest in the sets, but who were huge fans of the story and who discussed it at length. If this site is going to recognize recent constraction themes as the legacy of the BIONICLE sets, it is every bit as important to recognize story-driven System themes as the legacy of the BIONICLE story.

I'm not totally sure whether this is an April Fools' Day prank. "Themed" months are a great idea, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest in Chima on this site to merit a subforum of its own. Obviously story-driven System themes are some of the most popular ones here on BZPower, but I think if you were to separate themes like Ninjago and Chima from general System discussion it would leave the much-reduced "LEGO Discussion" subforum to flounder. I guess we'll find out tomorrrow which of these changes are here to stay and which are just temporary. In any case, it's great to see themes like this getting greater recognition.

• Upvote 2

I'm not totally sure whether this is an April Fools' Day prank. "Themed" months are a great idea, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest in Chima on this site to merit a subforum of its own. Obviously story-driven System themes are some of the most popular ones here on BZPower, but I think if you were to separate themes like Ninjago and Chima from general System discussion it would leave the much-reduced "LEGO Discussion" subforum to flounder. I guess we'll find out tomorrrow [sic] which of these changes are here to stay and which are just temporary. In any case, it's great to see themes like this getting greater recognition.

I don't think it is related to the April Fool's Day prank, unless it's something really complex that has yet to unfold.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

The picture of Laval in the banner is kind of doing a David Bowie thing with the two eye colours.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Huh; very nice. I shall be following this month with rapt attention.

A NOTE TO ANY THAT MAY BE TRYING TO GET INTO CHIMA: Don't get discouraged by its mediocre/awful first season of the TV show. It's been steadily improving in season two. :P

-Mesonak

• Upvote 1

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

I'm not a Chima fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I like the concept of themed months.

I don't really think Chima needs it's own subforum right on the board index. though. I think having it's own subforum isn't a bad idea, but I think it would be better suited as a subforum under LEGO Discussion. In fact, I think there should be even more themes added under LEGO discussion, and at least HF should go there too.

Bliss.png

Huh; very nice. I shall be following this month with rapt attention.

A NOTE TO ANY THAT MAY BE TRYING TO GET INTO CHIMA: Don't get discouraged by its mediocre/awful first season of the TV show. It's been steadily improving in season two. :P

-Mesonak

Thanks for the assurance. I guess sometime this month I ought to watch what I've missed of Season One and start watching Season Two. I never really ended up watching more than the first three episodes because while I knew they might get better, I didn't really want to hold out hope (particularly when it would mean keeping track of yet another show's release schedule, on top of the few I was already keeping up with at the time).

Truth be told, I didn't find the first few episodes as abysmal as some people made them out to be. I liked the voices, for instance, including Laval's. And some of the comic relief, particularly that involving Plovar and Gorzan, was quality stuff on par with the humor of Greg Farshtey's Chima chapter books. But it just felt a little bit disjointed to me, what with the attempts at an epic tone being undermined by awkward pacing and frequently inane dialogue.

I'm much more excited for the new Ninjago episodes this month, though! That's a series that hasn't let me down with the quality of its storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...