The sets are dying out.

The other day I decided to try and get another Toa Metru, because I only have one, and I realized, the sets (especially the titan sets) are beginning to die out. If your lucky enough to find one that came out before the year 2008, there is usually only 1-5 in stock, ant the very few that are in stock are very expensive. I have looked all over the internet, amazon, ebay, toywiz, and most of the time you get the message, only 1 left in stock! Order now! I actually was saddened, because I knew the day would come when you couldn't find any of the sets anywhere, but now I fear that day might be here.

• Upvote 1

giphy.gif

I've got a sealed Vhisola, which I once didn't realize I had until a few years after its release date. I am hoping out that, maybe, just maybe, many years from now, it would become a valuable relic of BIONICLE as one of the few sealed sets that will still be in existence.

But, based on the current rates on Vhisloas, I shouldn't get my hopes up even if it does become the only sealed set still in existence. :P

Edited by V-N
  • Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

I don't think this is a huge surprise. After all, the sets have been gone a long time, particularly the older sets like Toa Metru. And since most of those sets were not in production for more than a year or two, it's almost surprising that some of those earlier sets have lasted this long.

At the same time, plenty of people are and have been growing out of their old BIONICLE collections, so it's not impossible to get rare old sets second-hand. According to Brickset, there are a number of Toa Metru sets on eBay.

There's also folks on the BST subforum here who are selling Toa Metru and other old sets every now and then. Like Aanchir said, there's people who are growing out of Bionicle looking to sell their collections, or people who need money, or whatever their situation is. I'm sure that as long as we're buying there'll always be a market.

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

My first stop is usually BrickLink. A few months ago I bought Roodaka from a seller on there. Of course, she was parted out into ziploc bags and didn't include instructions, so your results may vary depending on what you're looking for.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Well, I feel really dumb now for opening the formerly sealed Toa Tahu Mata from 2001 which I purchased recently.

I've bought several Bionicle sets off of ebay recently, and while many, particularly the ones from the first five years of the line, are no longer possible to find unopened for their original retail price, I've never noticed a lack of available sets. There always seems to be at least three or four copies of a set available for purchase at any given time. Even relatively rare McDonald's promotions, such as the original six tohunga, are relatively common on ebay in their original packaging, falling under the rule that I mentioned above. Sometimes, there are even five or six different copies of one tohunga available at any point in time, and one would think that those would be among the rarest of all Bionicle sets.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I've never bought many Bionicle sets online. It hardly needs to be said that the line is extinct on shop shelves.

Still, there are many fans who were children in the last decade and are now growing up and finding themselves in need of money for college or cars or whatever else, and their old collections provide a convenient solution. So I imagine there'll be plenty of decent quality second hand sets available for a long time to come.

eBay!

Buying New-in-box of a construction-based toyline is going to be very difficult, as the supply will be super low - very few people would have kept their kids' lego sets mint.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

About a year and a half ago, I got all six Toa Metru for about £15 and the Nui Jaga and Nui Rama for £9 each, £18 in total. The former especially was a really good deal.

Since then, the only set I've been trying to get is Mata Nui (the Glatorian Legends version) but even that's hard to find.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I buy lots and test my luck. So far it has been pretty good. On ebay, I look at the pictures for a good hour, and decide if it is worth it or not. If you are looking for older sets, check locally, ask friends. I recently got like 5 pounds of Bionicles from one of my best friends. I also knew this one guy who had every single set and collectable all the way up to 2005, and he protected them with his life. He almost wouldn't let me look at them, let alone even hold anything.

Apparently in southern Alberta people like Bionicle. huh

Locally has given me the best finds.

beatdown2.png

DON'T MESS WITH US! NOTHING GETS PAST US! UNLESS WE WISH IT!

I find this sadly true. But it is to be expected, as mentioned above. I've totally ignored the notion of getting anything MIP/MISB. As long as the condition is decent, I'm not going to be furious.
I bought the original Mata, all six, for about a hundred bucks a few months back. I got them after Christmas (Thanks to my ex, who is helping me with the Kanohi I've recently bought off Bricklink) and the only problem I have right now is Lewa. His ball joint pieces and left (or is it right?) foot are grievously cracked. I had to buy replacements.

I'm going to eventually buy the Metru and the Nuva, and I'm going to go as cheap as I can, as intact as I can. I find that they can go individually pretty good like around ten bucks on ebay and even about 4 or 5 bucks on Bricklink.

Unfortunately I haven't found a single green metal Krana Kal on Bricklink, nor on Ebay, so I'm gonna have to eventually beg around here. Heh.

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

I just keep an eye on ebay for any in box/canisters. Not too hard to come by, but older sets you'll have to lower your hopes for sealed items

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I buy for parts so I generally don't have problem getting what I need. This is a special feeling to opening up a brand-new, sealed set that you've never owned before, though. That's probably what I miss most- we still have the story, we still have the parts, we still have the community. But without a good bit of money you can't get yourself a sealed set.

• Upvote 1

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Honestly, it depends on what condition the set is in.

I find it rather easy to find second-hand sets for a decent price on bricklink, and as said before, it can be a good idea to test your luck with ebay "lots".

However, finding sealed sets is an entirely different story.

It's not impossible to find sealed sets, but you'd better be willing to fork up quite a bit of money to get them. I'm talking 150-some odd dollars for Tahu Mata on Amazon! And while that's a rather extreme example, most sealed set's are quite over priced.

Edited by ~garnira returns~

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

• 2 weeks later...

i just found mahri matoro and defilak in a pharmacy a couple days ago. payed like 30 bucks for the two. was quite a find im guessing, judging by some of the posts here...

Yeah, places like pharmacies can be a treasure trove for OOP toys. You'll probably pay a mark up, sure, but not to the price you'd pay for some of them on eBay.

hElbrZ6.gif

i just found mahri matoro and defilak in a pharmacy a couple days ago. payed like 30 bucks for the two. was quite a find im guessing, judging by some of the posts here...

This is the reason I still peek into every single store I pass that looks like it might for whatever reason have old sets laying around like that. Nice find :D

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

• 3 weeks later...

thats amazing but still imagine if you find a tahu mata in a pharmacy these days.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

thats amazing but still imagine if you find a tahu mata in a pharmacy these days.

It would be an incredible find, but I suspect the set itself still wouldn't be worth all that much right now. The original Toa sold so well that they remain in wide circulation among Lego owners. But if you kept it MISB for the next twenty five years or something like that, then from then onwards it might be worth a lot.

• Upvote 1

I came across a Sahmad & Baranus and a Tarduk set in a very small local toy store near the city that I live in in the spring of 2012. I took advantage of it, and purchased the Tarduk set that day.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

KBtoys was an AMAZING place for finding yesteryear's legos. I remember seeing Slizers there well after Bionicle started. I remember finding some great Alpha Team- Deep Sea Mission sets at a KBtoys in another town. I remember seeing Toa Whenua just a short while before the stores all closed down. HECK, I remember seeing those Space... insectoid sets next to life on Mars sets back in the day. I didn't even know what those bug things were! Ah, memories...

Oh, well. It's a pity they can't have a sort of store made JUST for that.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I'm quite honestly surprised that there are any sets still for sale anywhere. I mean, the sets got axed almost half a decade ago.

It's definitely not commonplace among toys that have been discontinued for several, but it's also worth remembering that Bionicle lasted for ten years, more than twice as long as it's been off of shelves for, and that it was among TLG's strongest selling themes ever.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

AAZZ.jpg

I've never found a shortage of sets anywhere on the web, for decent prices. In summer 2012, I got Tarix in a toy shop in Florence, Italy. IN 2012!!!! Also, if you're in the UK, I recommend The Little Brick Shoppe on eBay. They have loads of sets, with even the Mata only around £10, and free shipping in the UK!!!

A few months ago, I managed to get both Hagah for around £20 in total, plus Hordika Vakama, and Oohnorak, using only my birthday money and about £10 from my savings. I think only got about £30 for my birthday. So as I said, look at The Little Brick Shoppe! My Gali Mata and 03 Teridax came from there.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

I've never found it to be trouble to find BIONICLE sets second hand nowadays. Of course, if you're looking for unopened sets, yeah it's gonna be near-impossible for many, but otherwise I'm pretty sure they're available on Bricklink and eBay. You can find plenty of sets from years upon years back without looking too hard.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!