The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Twenty Toa of light team up and blow all the Makuta off the face of the planet, system's broken, game dies.  

I think you're forgetting that light is just as vulnerable to shadow as shadow is to light. If there's more Makuta than there are Av-Toa, then the Makuta are still quite easily going to win, given their abundance of other powers. 

Actually, Toa of Light aren't inherently vulnerable to Shadow; pretty sure the Makuta are only vulnerable to Light since they're literally beings of Shadow, whereas Av-Toa are simply beings who can harness Light.

Not that I don't agree with your point.

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

What can I say, we really like breaking stuff via fictional characters.

Maybe there aren't any Light users allowed in the tournament because they're the villains of this universe.

In a world with Teridax of all people still working with the Order of Mata Nui, anything's possible.

The RPG has multiverse in the title. They probably would know that such is not the norm. And I'm not sure if it would make a difference if they were, considering how often evil characters are made for these games.

I really would like an actual explanation for why Light is being banned. If at all possible.

Because the combination of lasers, hard light objects, and the ability to move at light speed is incredibly unfair in a fighting tournament.

Light powered beings would never be allowed in the tournament proper, and would at best be relegated to exhibition matches.

It's the only element with a hard no on it right now, though I'm considering psionics as well.

Actually, Toa of Light aren't inherently vulnerable to Shadow; pretty sure the Makuta are only vulnerable to Light since they're literally beings of Shadow, whereas Av-Toa are simply beings who can harness Light.

From the BS01 pages on Shadow/Light:

Light is very powerful against Shadow and vice versa.

Shadow is very strong against Light and vice versa.

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I mentioned this on skype, but rather than outlawing certain powers and abilities all together, perhaps in-universe the arena and its facilities could have a dampening field or something similar?

Basically something in-universe that automatically limits/weakens any and all elemental powers, keeping them from being OP.

For example, since it's being discussed - a hardlight shield outside of the facilities might be able to function almost as a physical barrier for long periods of time, but in the arena might be broken rather easily (thus rendering it more useful as a very temporary solution, rather than a more permanent one?)

It's really not that hard to nerf it, or lay out some basics on how the powers work that prevent them from becoming ridiculously overpowered.

For instance, while hard light object are indeed very useful, there are several drawbacks. At least the way I play them. First of all, they need a steady flow of energy to keep them stable. Meaning it's a constant power drain. Also the strength of the construct is dependant on the amount of energy pumped into it. It might be pretty simple to block a blade but the heavier an attack gets the better a solid element looks in comparison.

On lasers, simple. Don't make them light speed. They should be fast, yeah. But they don't need to be autohit levels of speed.

Light speed movement we have seen all of one time. And even then it was a specialized power. Takanuva was only theorising about doing it and if it is indeed possible it would be a high level technique that would require some sort of sage Toa or one who specialized in it.

I'm not trying to force you to include it, nor am I arguing because I specifically want to use that power. It's just that there is space between "Let them do everything they want," and "Ban it for all eternity."

Edited by Silvan Haven
  • Upvote 2

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Silv, how many people did you accidentally traumatise?

I don't care what he says, it isn't accidental. It never was.

Okay, how many people did Silv traumatise in his quest for total dominance, and how much of this attempt at banning light is an attempt at stopping any future attempts by him?

Because honestly, this guy will try and screw you over even without using light anyway.

I for one support not only the banning of light and shadow as player elements, but Silvan's involvement in a Doctor Strange-esque freak car accident on his way to the profile topic just in case.

I wuv u silv-senpai.

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I had one idea where it was an RPG where you could drive sort of tank-robot-whatever things, except you could, say, have a basic chassis(from a bunch of different things) and have, say, different equipment slots. Take this as an example:

>Basic chassis: 3 weapon slots, 3 equipment slots.
>Small cannon(2 weap slots) and one MG(1 weap slot)
>Basic tracks(1 equip slot)and medium armour(1 equip slot)

Or, maybe

>Two MGs(2 weap slot) and a laser(1 weap slot)
>Basic legs(2 equip slot) and light armour(1 equip slot)

As for story and locations, can't say right now. Strongly based around making your own vehicle. You could, of course, make larger ones and work in tandem with other players, but most would likely be single-occupant. There would be a set list of parts for vehicles and custom ones _could_ be submitted in a profile, but they'd be up to GM discretion.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

I had one idea where it was an RPG where you could drive sort of tank-robot-whatever things, except you could, say, have a basic chassis(from a bunch of different things) and have, say, different equipment slots. Take this as an example:

>Basic chassis: 3 weapon slots, 3 equipment slots.

>Small cannon(2 weap slots) and one MG(1 weap slot)

>Basic tracks(1 equip slot)and medium armour(1 equip slot)

Or, maybe

>Two MGs(2 weap slot) and a laser(1 weap slot)

>Basic legs(2 equip slot) and light armour(1 equip slot)

As for story and locations, can't say right now. Strongly based around making your own vehicle. You could, of course, make larger ones and work in tandem with other players, but most would likely be single-occupant. There would be a set list of parts for vehicles and custom ones _could_ be submitted in a profile, but they'd be up to GM discretion.

Some sorta RPG about wacky Nynrah Ghosts trying to beat each other up to prove their customised giant robot is the greatest? Even if it's literally just an Exo-Toa with a Fohrok headplate?

Edited by 25K When?

Some sorta RPG about wacky Nynrah Ghosts trying to beat each other up to prove their customised giant robot is the greatest? Even if it's literally just an Exo-Toa with a Fohrok headplate?

Sounds about right. Maybe some kind of objective. A reason to shoot each other besides proving your robot's worth.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

National pride. Good old Metru Nui engineering vs Nynrah and their super fancy tech.

Everybody is on a shoestring budget because it's all crowd funded. Thousands of Matoran putting forward their hard earned widgets for their favorite mech team.

• Upvote 4

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

mech team.

This gave me an idea.

Instead, it's mech sports.

None of the weapons are explicitly harmful(at least permanently) to a mech. As long as they bear their island's colours, mechs can be customised however.

Guns could include

>Lasers(disables sensors for a while. More tech-heavy mechs will suffer against these.)

>Electro Guns(Affects mech equipment. Hinders movement for a moment. Short effective range.)

>Cannons(Force weapon. Knocks the enemy back a bit.)

>Missiles(Like a Cannon on steroids. Unlike other weapons, actually limited ammo per game.)

Slots and the like would still be in effect, and there would be equipment you could add. You could play one of two, three, maybe four teams.

• Upvote 2

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

So in other words, it's moving away from the Gundam or Evangelion themes and more towards IGPX, just not entirely focused around racing?

That could be interesting.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

So in other words, it's moving away from the Gundam or Evangelion themes and more towards IGPX, just not entirely focused around racing?

That could be interesting.

There was literally no Gundam or Evangelion there.

I mean I guess you could spin G Gundam though.

Sweet jesus, people actually remember IGPX exists?

mech team.

This gave me an idea.

Instead, it's mech sports.

None of the weapons are explicitly harmful(at least permanently) to a mech. As long as they bear their island's colours, mechs can be customised however.

Guns could include

>Lasers(disables sensors for a while. More tech-heavy mechs will suffer against these.)

>Electro Guns(Affects mech equipment. Hinders movement for a moment. Short effective range.)

>Cannons(Force weapon. Knocks the enemy back a bit.)

>Missiles(Like a Cannon on steroids. Unlike other weapons, actually limited ammo per game.)

Slots and the like would still be in effect, and there would be equipment you could add. You could play one of two, three, maybe four teams.

How about Kanoka Disks? How will they play a part?

You can't have Metru Nui without the disks.

Well, the last couple of RPGs to include mechs have had them primarily centered around combat-related uses more than anything, so yeah, I figured that it was still a fairly accurate comparison.

Matoran und Panzer, Bionifight Infinite, and Y60K being the examples in question, though the latter was definitely more Pacific Rim in pretty much every aspect.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Pacific Rim wasn't set in the Bionicle universe. The changes that were applied were more than enough to keep the same feel while simultaneously making it its own thing.

Atlantic Rim, on the other hand, might've been for all I know; I actually sat through the whole thing on Hulu once for laughs, and I'm assuming that it was really horrible, seeing as to how I somehow managed to retain absolutely no memories of the incident and therefore couldn't tell you a thing about it. Aside from it being a cheap, cash-in ripoff, obviously.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Pacific Rim wasn't set in the Bionicle universe. The changes that were applied were more than enough to keep the same feel while simultaneously making it its own thing.

nah m8 the entire concept behind y60k was "pacific rim except it's bionicle" and then we ted our way to some lore that vaguely made sense

or at least i did, pretty sure dane didn't help with that

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

• 1 month later...

Speaking as one of the individuals (the other being Strider, in this case) who currently control the highest ranking active characters in The Outsiders, a.k.a. the BZPRPG's morally neutral take on The Dark Hunters, I can pretty much safely say that there probably aren't going to be many people who would be willing to back the idea if it's soley centered around that one particular concept. Not that it isn't interesting, mind you; personally, I'd love to see something like that get up and running. It's just that mercs don't seem to be the most popular character choice these days.

Over the past two years, we ourselves have dropped from about 13 different players with something like 20 associated characters down to around 4 and 6, respectively, and aside from Ghidora, nobody's even gone so far as to express interest in joining for at least a year. Granted, something like this could serve as a much needed jump start if it ever managed to take off, but realistically, in the hypothetical (and highly improbable) event that a game like that was suddenly approved for play and posted for others to jump into tomorrow, I'd expect nothing less than an uphill battle.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I think Timageness is right here, for one main reason which I don't think he mentioned.

See, when you have a Dark Hunters RPG, you have a bunch of mercs running quite literally everywhere, and the island of Mata Nui is big enough that you need several GMs to handle it all. How will any team of people handle running the entire Matoran Universe as a playing field?

I think Timageness is right here, for one main reason which I don't think he mentioned.

See, when you have a Dark Hunters RPG, you have a bunch of mercs running quite literally everywhere, and the island of Mata Nui is big enough that you need several GMs to handle it all. How will any team of people handle running the entire Matoran Universe as a playing field?

Well, for smaller games that lack a dedicated staff like the BZPRPG that are usually created by one player, you make it a smaller scope. 

The entire island of Mata-Nui is fine for one person being, essentially, game staff. We've had, in COT way back when; incredibly active, incredibly expansive sandbox-esque TBRPG's that were staffed either by one player (the creator of the game), or with a couple offhand staff (ie: two GM's plus the RP leader). And they lasted for a long time. 

For one person to run the big, expansive sandbox games, though; it's incredibly time consuming and it's incredibly hard to be on the same page with everyone and it's incredibly hard to keep everything straight in a sense of a timeline to work off of. It's a lot of work, even when you have an actual team for staff to work with. It's doable, but it's usually a lot better to try and keep the scope a bit more narrow so that it's easy to follow, keep things in check, read and sort through. So more of a set in stone plot that develops based on what needs to occur for the plot to actually move, and player interaction with the plot for other things to occur or different events to take place that were influenced by their participation in the game. (And dealing with in game instances that create out of game drama, which is never fun to put up with). 

I don't really feel there's many qualifications to running a successful TBRPG, except confidence to be able to do it and the time necessary to keep it afloat. Roleplay experience helps, working as staff in other games also helps, as you generally learn a lot of valuable things doing that. But I know a lot of players who are on this site, or are long gone, who would create their own games for their first foray into a TBRPG and, while it doesn't always pan out well, there are definitely games that existed where it did. And getting, or finding, someone willing to help staff and work with you to create it who has that extra experience can also help. 

(I've been roleplaying for like... 12 years, and I hate running games, but if you have an idea and you want to go with it, starting it up in a planning stage and getting overall input from the community that'd play it would be fine in and of itself to actually make a quality base for the game. Running it just comes down to writing, time you have, your own interest in it, and progressing the events of the game in a natural sense that doesn't make players feel like they have 0 impact on what's happening). 

• Upvote 2

Making it like the current iteration of the Hero Factory RPG, where general missions are given out for players to do collectively, could work for this. That way there'd only be one or two locations at a time active in the Matoran Universe, and the player base would be confined to those general areas for the duration of those missions.

• Upvote 1

I'd hardly compare a small player run group of mercs in a sandbox game to a focused dark hunters RP.

If I recall correctly, Requiem originally took inspiration from the Dark Hunters while creating The Outsiders for the BZPRPG. That being said, this effectively makes them the closest active reference point that we currently have available for literally any form of comparison whatsoever.

And again, both rely heavily on the amount of people actually willing to play mercs, which has taken a rather serious dip as of late. In short, not wanting to do so in an RPG centered soley around the Dark Hunters pretty much means that you don't get to participate at all, since it's essentially a mandatory requirement.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

If I recall correctly, Requiem originally took inspiration from the Dark Hunters while creating The Outsiders for the BZPRPG. That being said, this effectively makes them the closest active reference point that we currently have available for literally any form of comparison whatsoever.

And again, both rely heavily on the amount of people actually willing to play mercs, which has taken a rather serious dip as of late. In short, not wanting to do so in an RPG centered soley around the Dark Hunters pretty much means that you don't get to participate at all, since it's essentially a mandatory requirement.

A basis in a game where there's so many other options to choose from. I rarely joined Dark Hunter-esque organizations in the BZPRPG since it, in my experience, usually ended up becoming tavern RP, basically. Of course stuff likely picked up whenever I got tired of my character(s) back then and dropped them, or went onto something that piqued my interest a bit more (like the whole Valkyr creation and their presence in the prior BZPRPG), but it's not really a good indication since...

In the BZPRPG, they don't necessarily have a promise to have a story that evolves and ultimately changes characters therein through development. They're there, and the promise of them doing anything is largely on the players and the one who created the organization within the game itself. It's not really a scene of "this is for a dedicated story we have in place, with Dark Hunter characters at the forefront." Whereas a smaller-scoped RP would be able to focus on that, and people might find themselves interested in it on the basis you're playing these Dark Hunter characters who are a central organization to the central plot of the game (so things develop, or at least should, and players can get in on the events easily and have their own characters grow and develop as a result, which is largely my favorite thing when it comes to roleplay).

It's like, comparing a MMO to a smaller scoped multiplayer experience. Since, in the former you can make whatever character you want within the game's determined limitations, and in the latter you're poised to play a character with a more specific set of regulations/rules that help to keep player characters complimenting the overall story and not seem too out of place.