The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

That actually sounds like a very good idea. Mind if I use it?

Fine with me. Bouncing around ideas and suggestions is sort of the point of this topic, isn't it?

That would require the Matoran to stop seeing the Turaga as wise leaders. As well as making them ungrateful little idiots considering that even with amnesia they should know who brought them out of the stasis pods.

The mask maker acting as an avatar of Makuta makes a certain amount of sense if glanced at. Makuta made a deal with Vakama not to attack Mata Nui for a year in return for Vakama not breaking the Vahi.

Of course, sending an avatar is a pretty solid attack anyway and would break the deal. Also it means that everybody would be quite used to calling the mask maker by his real name and would have no real reason to call him Makuta.

Ungrateful or not, I'd still be more than a little wary (at least initially) of someone I didn't personally know, especially if they randomly woke me up one morning and started bossing me around. And given that the Turaga of Lesovikk's home island went completely bonkers and sent their entire village to be rebuilt on Karzahni for little to no reason at all, I'd say that's enough evidence to prove that not all of them should be followed blindly.

Also, I believe that the exact wording of Teridax's original deal with Vakama was that he (as in the Makuta and his forces) would not organise an attack on the Matoran for one year, in exchange for Vakama not shattering the Vahi. Now in this case, the timeline would obviously need to be extended here to account for the generations worth of events that took place prior to the plot of 2015, but if some other being wished to cause some strife on their own during that period of peace, someone who could be easily advised (read: manipulated) into acting on their jealousy or willing to bargain for knowledge and power, and that he technically had no affiliation with whatsoever... Well, that's certainly a loophole if I ever saw one.

Allegedly, the Devil's greatest feat was tricking the world into believing that he never even existed. Assuming that Bionicle's master strategist wouldn't be able to navigate his way around one little pact is honestly a bit ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

If some random person woke you up one day and started bossing you around it would make perfect sense to be highly suspicious of them. That's not quite the case here though.

From the viewpoint of the Matoran, they all just woke up with no memory of anything. The only people with any idea of what is going on are the Turaga. Sure they step into the role of leaders but they do a bang up job of it. When the Turaga say that Makuta is a bad dude it makes a whole lot more sense for them to listen rather than assume that their leaders are bonkers.

As far as the pact goes. Makuta held to it in canon because he knew that Vakama was perfectly willing to follow through and smart enough to notice any attempted workarounds.

A guy with the same name as your shape shifting archenemies going around causing trouble is more than enough reason for Vakama to break the Vahi.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

If some random person woke you up one day and started bossing you around it would make perfect sense to be highly suspicious of them. That's not quite the case here though.

From the viewpoint of the Matoran, they all just woke up with no memory of anything. The only people with any idea of what is going on are the Turaga. Sure they step into the role of leaders but they do a bang up job of it. When the Turaga say that Makuta is a bad dude it makes a whole lot more sense for them to listen rather than assume that their leaders are bonkers.

Again, the Turaga's role in Matoran society is not one of dictatorship, so just because they want the populace to take a specific course of action, that doesn't necessarily mean that their word is law. If it was, then Jaller wouldn't have been able to effectively blackmail information about the Toa Nuva and the state of the MU out of them by organising his island-wide strike on Metru Nui. If they have a reason to be suspicious of the Turaga, then it is well-within their capability to simply ignore them, whether or not they are currently suffering from amnesia.

Also, we're talking about an RPG here, you know, where characters generally have more freedom to do whatever the heck they want, especially if it's not canon.

As far as the pact goes. Makuta held to it in canon because he knew that Vakama was perfectly willing to follow through and smart enough to notice any attempted workarounds.

A guy with the same name as your shape shifting archenemies going around causing trouble is more than enough reason for Vakama to break the Vahi.

Except that:

- In order for the two societies to work together cohesively and form an actual relationship with one another, they would each have to disclose their respective cultures, histories, and prophecies, to avoid any potential mishaps. This means that the Mask Maker would've already had access to the term "Makuta" in advance, and could've simply adopted the identity/title as a show of power, without so much of a hint of the original Teridax ever being involved. Again, no Teridax = no reason to break the Vahi.

- Any powers obtained by said Mask Maker would potentially have alternative origins as well. According to G1, any being could obtain a limited ability over Shadow, simply by focusing on their own anger and aggression, which G2 Makuta would have had plenty of. Plus, he also forged the G2 MoUP, which was responsible for his original transformation in the first place.

- Assuming that the Vahi operates under similar rules and conditions as the Ignika and MoC, its destruction would've only carried the same weight as Vakama's original threat if it was actually kept inside the Matoran Universe. Since Mata Nui/Okoto is actually outside of the GSR, the timeline within the actual robot itself would likely remain largely unaffected in the event that the Turaga felt it was necessary to keep to his word. At this point, Teridax would only require the mask to speed up time in order to advance his own plans, and being the master of the Xanatos Gambit that he is, the retrieval/continued existence of the G1 Vahi would've thus reverted back to being merely a convenience at best. What he's really after here is actually the enslavement of the Matoran of Metru Nui, whom he still needs for Mata Nui's brain to continue to function, which is absolutely essential for his plan to succeed.

So yeah, Vakama pretty much shot himself in the foot by taking everybody to Mata Nui, and aside from that, there'd still be plenty of reasonable doubt concerning the extent of Teridax's actual involvement.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• 4 months later...

*raises hand*

Possibly dumb question from a newbie to the RP board (and I'm not sure if this is quite the place to enquire), but... may I ask, how come games that include canon characters are discouraged? I just kinda drifted over to this forum now after a number of years roleplaying on other sites, and saw that mentioned in passing on the previous page... and I'm curious as to why that's not allowed / frowned upon.

I'm just that one guy who'd be far more interested in roleplaying canon characters than making up my own original ones, don't mind me xD;

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Ah, somebody to help!

Using canon characters isn't looked down on. It's just that most people want to come up with their own stuff. It allows for more creative freedom.

They also tend to be solely GM controlled in most games because they are either important to the plot or are noticeable NPCs that the GM can use to give their players stuff to do.

If you feel coming up with your own game that let's people play as canon characters feel free.

• Upvote 2

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

In some settings or ideas I have, I get around the issue of canon character usage by having most of them be dead, like the Alternate Universe I'm working on where most of the Toa Metru are dead, the Karzahni plant inhabits Nuju's body and is a dubious good guy, Ko-Metru is a war zone and the Morbuzakh is sentient and turns places it infests into a mix of The Last of Us and Dead Space.

Regardless, I might start sporadically churning out bad, half-baked RP settings again. Maybe I'll revisit the mech sports-centric one.

• Upvote 2

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

In some settings or ideas I have, I get around the issue of canon character usage by having most of them be dead, like the Alternate Universe I'm working on where most of the Toa Metru are dead, the Karzahni plant inhabits Nuju's body and is a dubious good guy, Ko-Metru is a war zone and the Morbuzakh is sentient and turns places it infests into a mix of The Last of Us and Dead Space.

And just like that, my interest has suddenly been piqued.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Okay so, in summary:
>While the Karzahni was intended to be sentient and as such made no effort to hide it, in this AU the Morbuzakh was accidentally made sentient but hid this from Teridax. The Karzahni was discarded and wound up deep underground, more or less like normal.

>The Morbuzakh did its work screwing up Metru Nui real good, but secretly contacted the Karzahni, and together created a means of infesting and controlling MU inhabitants, known as Seeds. The OoMN also planted several agents in Metru Nui to watch over the Morbuzakh in case the infestation got too far out of hand.

>Lhikan was not captured by the Dark Hunters, escaping as Vakama managed to wrest himself free and slow his descent with, of all things, a Morbuzakh vine.

>An OoMN agent discovered the masses of stored Seeds the Morbuzakh had created, and despite its best efforts to kill him he escaped. Not wanting its plan to be discovered, the Morbuzakh acted, releasing thousands of spores around the same time the Toa Metru were created. Hundreds became thralls of the Morbuzakh, including swathes of the Vahki Force. Ta-Metru had survivors in the single digits; Po-Metru suffered the least. Teridax, as Dume, locked down the Coliseum.

>The Toa Metru raced to find the Great Disks with Lhikan's help. The Dark Hunters attempted to ambush them, but in the ensuing conflict Krekka fell into a pit of molten Protodermis. Nidhiki attempted to flee, but was enthralled by the Morbuzakh. Around this time, Ko-Metru is fortified with bunkers and trench lines to fend off the waves of infected Matoran, Rahi and Vahki. Ga-Metru closed off all entrances to Ta-Metru and it too became a fortress district. Le-Metru was lost in days. The lower levels of Onu-Metru were lost, but the higher levels were successfully defended. Po-Metru became one giant refugee camp.

>The Toa Metru assaulted the Great Furnace in an effort to kill the King Root, and Teridax, knowing the danger, sent a surviving Vahki force to assist them, though this was steadily thinned to nothing as they fought their way through Ta-Metru. However, in the battle with the King Root Nidhiki attacked, and though outmatched he managed to allow more infected in. Onewa accidentally killed the infected Dark Hunter, and although they fought hard, only Nokama and Whenua escaped the Great Furnace alive, though Nokama was seemingly killed by the now-enthralled OoMN agent who had discovered the Morbuzakh's plan. Whenua escaped Ta-Metru alone, distraught and defeated.

>Onu-Metru invents the flamethrower. While the Morbuzakh itself feeds on fire, its Seeds are too small and vulnerable to enjoy the same resistance, and these weapons are capable of driving weaker infested back, lightening the load on Onu-Metru defenders and allowing them to assist the war effort in Ko-Metru. However, the flamethrower proved inefficient in Ko-Metru, and the Onu-Matoran got to work on a 'frostthrower'. Nokama reappeared at the so-called 'Fire Gate', the last surfaceside route to Ta-Metru. Lhikan was suspicious, but allowed her to be taken to medical attention. The frostthrower prototypes are mixed; they had less of an effect on the Seeds but could weaken the Morbuzakh vines considerably. These help the Ko-Matoran drive the infected back, and scientists begin working on a way to safely free an individual from Morbuzakh control.

>The Morbuzakh betrays Karzahni, and despite the Karzahni's superior intelligence it is no match for the much larger and more powerful Morbuzakh. However, a small piece of it survives. Nokama proves, as Lhikan suspected, to be infected when she suddenly destroys several guard positions and emplacements, as well as the Fire Gate before she is subdued by Lhikan. To keep back waves of infected from Ta-Metru, defenders are forced to destroy the bridge. The Morbuzakh decides the effort is no longer worth it, and withdraws from Ko-Metru, allowing the Ko-Matoran to celebrate a somewhat hollow victory. Scientists discover a cure for Morbuzakh infection, and Nokama is the first to be freed, though she remains in critical condition. Deep underground, the Karzahni found the discarded corpses of the rest of the Toa Metru, inhabiting and seemingly 'reanimating' Toa Nuju.

>Lhikan, Whenua and a couple of heavily armed Matoran volunteers headed into Ta-Metru's underground through Onu-Metru in an effort to find a Mask of Healing and the Great Disks. They are attacked by the infected OoMN agent and several infected Vahki. The fighting is brutal, but they are saved by a storm of discarded masks and other objects cutting down their attackers. Their saviour appears to be a rather dismissive Nuju, who plucks a Mask of Healing from the OoMN agent, whom was using it to heal his own injuries somehow. 'Nuju' sends the Matoran back with the mask while the Toa press on, 'Nuju' recovering the Great Disks as the Morbuzakh attempted to dispose of them with his Matatu, and the Toa flee, Whenua bringing the tunnel down behind them to block pursuing infected.

>Lhikan alerts the Onu-Metru forces, and 'Nuju' is surrounded, where the Karzahni explains its need for his body, and wants the Morbuzakh dead just as much as they do. Meanwhile, the Morbuzakh attacks Po-Metru. Before the attack can be driven back, untold numbers of Matoran are dragged off screaming, where they are presumably infected in order to bolster the Morbuzakh's forces. Nokama is healed, but still incapacitated. Teridax alerts Karzahni of all the remaining routes to the Great Furnace, and the Morbuzakh in retaliation hits the Coliseum with most of its forces. Teridax, knowing the Coliseum will not hold them, abandons his body and finds the infected OoMN agent underground, and drives the Seeds from his body, only to possess them himself. Another agent arrives to investigate the loss of communications with their contacts in Metru Nui, but they are infected, and leave the island with enough Seeds and vines to start an infestation elsewhere. Nokama recovers, and agrees to help defeat the King Root.

>The Toa press through the underground, and Teridax, knowing their efforts may be the last one Metru Nui can make, opens and closes various doorways remotely to minimise resistance before he is driven off by the Morbuzakh and its forces. The Toa reach the King Root, only this time most of its forces are unavailable, still at the Coliseum, and using the Frostthrowers manage to freeze the King Root solid, Whenua and Karzahni combining their powers to bring the Great Furnace down on it, slaying the King Root. The Morbuzakh itself is killed(though the roots sent off island survive) and the infected lose any form of coordination, making them much easier to contain, round up and cure. Teridax and Karzahni both quietly leave Metru Nui, as the Matoran begin slowly rebuilding.

Okay yeah thats a loose use of the term summary but there you go. Nothing written beyond that.
An RP in the setting might be cool, actually.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

Don't the Vahki have clockwork brains? They should be immune to seeds intended for Matoran and the like.

Also the Order seems to be kind of pointlessly useless. You would think they would send more than one easily defeated guy after abruptly losing contact with the single most important city in Mata Nui.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

That's... actually a little iffy, since, as evidenced by the introduction of the Flood's Logic Plague over in the Halo franchise, robots and other artificial constructs are now no longer necessarily immune to these types of things anymore.

If the seeds are capable of producing spores that can construct enough plant matter to encompass the Vahki's CPUs/motherboards and establish a "mental" link by directly patching itself into said components, then it's entirely possible that the Morbuzakh could simply use its own logic to effectively trick the machines into corrupting their programming, thus essentially turning them into "willing" hosts and pawns.

Which could then also provide a somewhat reasonable explanation as to how and why the infected are still active, especially if they successfully managed to assimilate a bunch of them into some sort of Gravemind/Brethren Moon-type deal in response to the loss of their original leader.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Yeah, I basically wrote the infested Vahki as having Morbuzakh vines growing into all their motors and CPUs, with the seeds acting as remote controllers. I planned it that once the original King Root died, it became a less organised, but as a result less predictable force that could show up anywhere, anytime.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Clockwork. Don't ask me how you can make a brain from clockwork but apparently they figured out how. The point is that you are facing an entirely different set of problems than you are with a squishy Matoran brain. Minds control seeds made to work on the latter will not work on the former.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

So... I have had a few ideas for RPG's the only game I play, Corpus Rahkshi, is going really slow and I am interested in starting one. Here are my two ideas.

Toa Don't Come: In a parallel time line to G2 the protectors chant the prophesy of heroes to summon the Toa to fight the skull spiders. But in this timeline no one comes. We pick up the story in the middle of a full scale war between the villagers and Makuta's hordes of skeletons and beasts. The villagers are loosing and are desperately looking for anything that can turn the tide.

Rahi Hunters: In this cross between Bionicle and the Monster Hunter Video games you play as brave Matoran explorers who are battling against a challenging environment filled with natural disasters and huge, dangerous beasts. The matoran have developed a number of special pieces of equipment, including usable knoble masks and element-channeling weapons. This one would start out with a small playable area(with a mission to kill a specific Rahi in that area) and then grow as the players explore more.

What do you think?

Six Kingdoms Characters: Mazor, Jephro, The Janitor, Informant

Count me interested in the Rahi Hunters one; it sounds like my kind of scene.

A couple of questions. Would canon matoran characters be allowed to be used, or would it be strictly original characters? Also, what would be the setting? One of the islands we know of from canon - the environment description could easily fit Voya Nui, at least, or maybe even parts of Mata Nui - or a new location entirely? With so much of the Bionicle universe that canon failed to show us, there's a lot of room to play it either way.

In any case, I'd for sure be up for taking part in it, if it does go ahead ^^

Edited by Darth Jaller

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I am not planning on allowing any cannon characters, It seems like it would make things complicated, especially since I want it to feel like the players are isolated from the rest of society.  Basically these Matoran are modified to allow them to explore dangerous territories, but as they explored they got isolated and have been seperate long enough to develop their own society. The setting will definentaly be non-cannon, and it could be in Mata Nui('s body), somewhere on Bara Magna(post story), or even on a new planet. Not sure yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is my first draft. All constructive criticism is appreciated. I really want to do this but I also want to know how well it would be recieved, so please at least tell me if you would consider playing it, so that I can be sure it will be supported. This is only a first draft so I still have a lot of stuff that I will nail down in future drafts.

Rahi Hunters

Welcome to the Island of Terra-Dra Home of adventure and danger. Amongst the peaceful grasslands, calm beaches, dense jungles and tall mountains matoran live side by side with giant, dangerous Rahi. Their survival depends on YOU the hunters. Grab your weapon, put on your mask, and get out there to defend civilization and blaze new trails into the wilds of Terra-Dra. Happy hunting!

The Island

Terra-Dra is a rough and harsh landscape with five areas. Planes-Dra, Beach-Dra, Jungle-Dra,  Mountain-Dra, and Sand-Dra. The Hunters Guild monitors the environments of each area closely, and travel into each area requires the Guild’s permission.

Planes-Dra(Easy)

These peaceful grasslands are dotted with large rocky outcroppings and Matoran Villages. This is the most setled of the regions because the soft rolling hills allow scouts to easily spot incoming threats. This is the perfect place for new hunters to test out their skills before moving onto more dangerous areas. This Region is also the location of the only city, Jagater, the location of Hunters Guild Headquarters.

Jagater is a small city, but it drastically outsizes any other village in Terra-Dra. It has many shops, restaurants, and hotels, but most important it features the Hunters Guild Headquarters. The guild headquarters is a large spire with multiple floors.

The first (ground floor) is home to the reception area. It features a large waiting room with desks for Hunter Licensing, Environmental reports, and so on. Dominating the center of the room is the Request board. On this board are requests for hunters assistance of all types. Anyone can post on the board if they are seeking assistance from a Hunter, and any Hunter, licensed or non-licensed can respond to a quest on the board. THis is the only floor open to the public.

The second floor is the social area only open for licensed hunters, featuring a cafeteria with discounted food, a gym area with various training equipment and dummies, and several reservable meeting rooms.

The third floor is a free Dormitory, open to all licensed hunters.

The fourth floor is the grand hall, where the Guild holds meetings for all members.

The fifth floor is the private offices of the Guild masters. Only the Guild masters, and those on official Guild business are permitted on this floor.

Beach-Dra (Easy/Medium)

Where the grasslands meet the sea is Beach-Dra. Thisl area Is covered in rivers, lakes, and tidepools, with large patches of green palm trees and shrubbery. It is the perfect environment for amphibious Rahi, who come here from the ocean. Small fishing villages dot this area, and hunters are frequently called on to stem the wild rahi.

Jungle-Dra(Medium)

The South west side of Terra-Dra is covered in dense jungle, home to a great variety of Rahi, in incredible numbers! The ground is swampy and covered in all kinds of vegetation, while the trees are so huge that some Rahi Never have to touch the ground while moving from branch to branch. While expeditions frequently enter this area to gather various herbs, Jungle-Dra remains largely uninhabited.

Mountain-Dra (Hard)

Those who manage to make it through the forests of Jungle-Dra will find themselves blocked by the region of Mountain-Dra. This massive mountain range separates the Matoran from the northern portion of the island. No one has successfully crossed this region and lived to tell the tail. The rugged conditions of the mountains mean that only the fiercest Rahi live there.

One of the most prominent land features of this area is God’s Roost. This massive mountain stretches up to the heavens, high above the surrounding range, It’s edges are so steep so as to be nearly vertical. No one has ever reached its summit.

Sand-Dra(Hard)

Rumores abound of a vast desert, located just beyond the mountains. There are also rumors that the Hunters Guild may be arranging for another expedition to go there.

The Hunters Guild

In a land filled with danger the Hunters Guild serves as a form of government. Their stated mission is to  “Protect, Preserve, and Study.” They dispatch trained hunters to protect civilians from monster attacks. They monitor the actions of all guild members actions and set rules and restrictions to prevent the Matorn from upsetting the delicate balance of nature. They also do extensive study into the flora and fauna of Terra-Dra in order to better understand the ecosystems and advance the Matoran’s standard of living. The leaders are Najora, Guld captain, Paju, chief hunter, and Kumawa, chief environmentalist.

(Profiles for Hunters Guild chiefs to come later)

The Matoran

The Matoran of Terra-Dra are different from those elsewhere. Living in such a dangerous environment has led them to adapt and gain new powers, making them more like Turaga than regular Matoran. Terra-Dra Matoran are slightly stronger and more durable than their regular counterparts. They have also gained two special abilities.They have developed the mental power to use knoble masks and have learned to tap into their elemental powers in a limited extent. To create a profile you must determine the following characteristics for your characters.

Name:

Element:

Affiliation:

Mask:

Elemental weapon:

Other equipment:

Personality/Biography:

Name:

Some hunters go by their given names, but others choose to use codenames.

Element:

The Matoran of Terra-Dra come in a wide variety of elements. All cannon Matoran elements, except for light and shadow are fair game.

Affiliation:

Hunters have been known to form groups both big and small to help each other. The largest of these is the Hunters Guild. If your character is part of the Hunters Guild say so here. You may also list other player made groups/teams your character is affiliated with. (All members of the hunters guild must be approved by the GM, if you want your character to begin as part of the guild mark them as so here and I will approve/deny).

Mask:

Matoran of Terra-Dra have developed the mental capacity to use knoble masks, however, they are somewhat hard to come by and not everyone has one. Hunters may begin with only one knoble mask. Remember that Knoble masks are weaker versions of Great masks so Role Play accordingly.  (When reviewing profiles the GM may ask for clarification on what you expect your knoble masks limitations to be. It might be good to clarify that here).

Elemental Weapon:

Through clever weaponsmithing the Matoran of Terra-Dra have developed a way to channel their elemental powers. An elemental weapon is a traditional weapon (sword, spear, battle axe) that matoran can channel their elemental power through in a specific manner. Each tool is designed to react with one element and produce one result. For example, a Ta-Matoran may have a sword that he can cover in fire, when on fire the sword leaves a trail of flame through the air. The sword cannot, however, be used to launch fire at a target (i.e. Flamethrower/fireball). (Please be as specific as you can, see GM NPC profiles for examples.)

Other Equipment:

A hunter with just a weapon often finds themselves underprepared. List any other Equipment/Items your character carries on his/her person.

Personality/Biography:

What makes your character who they are? Where did they come from? Why are they a hunter? What is their favorite color? Fill this area with whatever information you desire to give your character background and depth.

!!!URGENT QUEST!!!

The insectoid rahi known as Zeltar have recently been swarming in huge numbers. These hungry beasts have been devouring farmers crops, and we face a severe food shortage if they are not stopped.

Mission:  The guild wants all members to search for their nest and find out what has caused the Zeltar’s population boom. Seeing as this is a state of emergency, authorization has been given to slay any Rahi that may be connected with this problem.

Edited by Smudge8
  • Upvote 2

I'm definitely interested in this! I love how it has a video-game feel to it, but also has a lot of room to expand beyond that as well, and I really enjoy what you've done with the setting so far.

(for the record, I'm new to BZP roleplay - though not to online rp in general - so while I've read up as much as I can, I may need correcting on some of the finer points as I start getting involved xD;; )

A couple of questions about characters, if I may?

- Would it be possible for a matoran to be an independent hunter, not be part of the guild? Or do all hunters have to have gone through the guild first?

- Are the elements gender-locked, as in Bionicle canon? Or are gender and element independent of each other?

In addition, I'm curious; how will the Rahi be played? Will they be NPCs, or controlled by specific members of the game?

Thanks in advance! ^^

Edited by Darth Jaller

For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Okay so, in summary:>While the Karzahni was intended to be sentient and as such made no effort to hide it, in this AU the Morbuzakh was accidentally made sentient but hid this from Teridax. The Karzahni was discarded and wound up deep underground, more or less like normal.

>The Morbuzakh did its work screwing up Metru Nui real good, but secretly contacted the Karzahni, and together created a means of infesting and controlling MU inhabitants, known as Seeds. The OoMN also planted several agents in Metru Nui to watch over the Morbuzakh in case the infestation got too far out of hand.

>Lhikan was not captured by the Dark Hunters, escaping as Vakama managed to wrest himself free and slow his descent with, of all things, a Morbuzakh vine.

>An OoMN agent discovered the masses of stored Seeds the Morbuzakh had created, and despite its best efforts to kill him he escaped. Not wanting its plan to be discovered, the Morbuzakh acted, releasing thousands of spores around the same time the Toa Metru were created. Hundreds became thralls of the Morbuzakh, including swathes of the Vahki Force. Ta-Metru had survivors in the single digits; Po-Metru suffered the least. Teridax, as Dume, locked down the Coliseum.

>The Toa Metru raced to find the Great Disks with Lhikan's help. The Dark Hunters attempted to ambush them, but in the ensuing conflict Krekka fell into a pit of molten Protodermis. Nidhiki attempted to flee, but was enthralled by the Morbuzakh. Around this time, Ko-Metru is fortified with bunkers and trench lines to fend off the waves of infected Matoran, Rahi and Vahki. Ga-Metru closed off all entrances to Ta-Metru and it too became a fortress district. Le-Metru was lost in days. The lower levels of Onu-Metru were lost, but the higher levels were successfully defended. Po-Metru became one giant refugee camp.

>The Toa Metru assaulted the Great Furnace in an effort to kill the King Root, and Teridax, knowing the danger, sent a surviving Vahki force to assist them, though this was steadily thinned to nothing as they fought their way through Ta-Metru. However, in the battle with the King Root Nidhiki attacked, and though outmatched he managed to allow more infected in. Onewa accidentally killed the infected Dark Hunter, and although they fought hard, only Nokama and Whenua escaped the Great Furnace alive, though Nokama was seemingly killed by the now-enthralled OoMN agent who had discovered the Morbuzakh's plan. Whenua escaped Ta-Metru alone, distraught and defeated.

>Onu-Metru invents the flamethrower. While the Morbuzakh itself feeds on fire, its Seeds are too small and vulnerable to enjoy the same resistance, and these weapons are capable of driving weaker infested back, lightening the load on Onu-Metru defenders and allowing them to assist the war effort in Ko-Metru. However, the flamethrower proved inefficient in Ko-Metru, and the Onu-Matoran got to work on a 'frostthrower'. Nokama reappeared at the so-called 'Fire Gate', the last surfaceside route to Ta-Metru. Lhikan was suspicious, but allowed her to be taken to medical attention. The frostthrower prototypes are mixed; they had less of an effect on the Seeds but could weaken the Morbuzakh vines considerably. These help the Ko-Matoran drive the infected back, and scientists begin working on a way to safely free an individual from Morbuzakh control.

>The Morbuzakh betrays Karzahni, and despite the Karzahni's superior intelligence it is no match for the much larger and more powerful Morbuzakh. However, a small piece of it survives. Nokama proves, as Lhikan suspected, to be infected when she suddenly destroys several guard positions and emplacements, as well as the Fire Gate before she is subdued by Lhikan. To keep back waves of infected from Ta-Metru, defenders are forced to destroy the bridge. The Morbuzakh decides the effort is no longer worth it, and withdraws from Ko-Metru, allowing the Ko-Matoran to celebrate a somewhat hollow victory. Scientists discover a cure for Morbuzakh infection, and Nokama is the first to be freed, though she remains in critical condition. Deep underground, the Karzahni found the discarded corpses of the rest of the Toa Metru, inhabiting and seemingly 'reanimating' Toa Nuju.

>Lhikan, Whenua and a couple of heavily armed Matoran volunteers headed into Ta-Metru's underground through Onu-Metru in an effort to find a Mask of Healing and the Great Disks. They are attacked by the infected OoMN agent and several infected Vahki. The fighting is brutal, but they are saved by a storm of discarded masks and other objects cutting down their attackers. Their saviour appears to be a rather dismissive Nuju, who plucks a Mask of Healing from the OoMN agent, whom was using it to heal his own injuries somehow. 'Nuju' sends the Matoran back with the mask while the Toa press on, 'Nuju' recovering the Great Disks as the Morbuzakh attempted to dispose of them with his Matatu, and the Toa flee, Whenua bringing the tunnel down behind them to block pursuing infected.

>Lhikan alerts the Onu-Metru forces, and 'Nuju' is surrounded, where the Karzahni explains its need for his body, and wants the Morbuzakh dead just as much as they do. Meanwhile, the Morbuzakh attacks Po-Metru. Before the attack can be driven back, untold numbers of Matoran are dragged off screaming, where they are presumably infected in order to bolster the Morbuzakh's forces. Nokama is healed, but still incapacitated. Teridax alerts Karzahni of all the remaining routes to the Great Furnace, and the Morbuzakh in retaliation hits the Coliseum with most of its forces. Teridax, knowing the Coliseum will not hold them, abandons his body and finds the infected OoMN agent underground, and drives the Seeds from his body, only to possess them himself. Another agent arrives to investigate the loss of communications with their contacts in Metru Nui, but they are infected, and leave the island with enough Seeds and vines to start an infestation elsewhere. Nokama recovers, and agrees to help defeat the King Root.

>The Toa press through the underground, and Teridax, knowing their efforts may be the last one Metru Nui can make, opens and closes various doorways remotely to minimise resistance before he is driven off by the Morbuzakh and its forces. The Toa reach the King Root, only this time most of its forces are unavailable, still at the Coliseum, and using the Frostthrowers manage to freeze the King Root solid, Whenua and Karzahni combining their powers to bring the Great Furnace down on it, slaying the King Root. The Morbuzakh itself is killed(though the roots sent off island survive) and the infected lose any form of coordination, making them much easier to contain, round up and cure. Teridax and Karzahni both quietly leave Metru Nui, as the Matoran begin slowly rebuilding.

Okay yeah thats a loose use of the term summary but there you go. Nothing written beyond that.

An RP in the setting might be cool, actually.

I am 1 billion percent behind this because this means i can FINALLY rp as Azi without having to dilute or censor major parts of his character to fit the story! Whoever's idea this was, I'm currently trying to find a way to hug you through my screen!

Link to how Azi looks(UPDATED): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Hh1oWv0PcbLWVKdnpaT1hZeFk/view?usp=drivesdk

Also, because THEMESONG:

A couple of questions about characters, if I may?

- Would it be possible for a matoran to be an independent hunter, not be part of the guild? Or do all hunters have to have gone through the guild first?

- Are the elements gender-locked, as in Bionicle canon? Or are gender and element independent of each other?

In addition, I'm curious; how will the Rahi be played? Will they be NPCs, or controlled by specific members of the game?

-Yes, a hunter doesn't have to be part of the guild. Being a guild member basically makes you 'official' while not being a member makes you kind of like the do-it-yourself guy, for lack of a better term. The guild was just formed to keep hunters from getting out of control and destroying the environment, while still protecting the people.

- not sure if the elements are gender locked or not yet, I am leaning towards it, but I was also thinking having non cannon masks would be cool. Because I still want it to be familiar, it will probably be one or the other, which do you think would be better?

-I plan to play all of the Rahi at this point, but if there are enough players I will probably ask people to be 'sub GM's' to help with the less important fights.

-Also, if this reminds you of a video game, that's because it is inspired by this one. It's one of my favorite series.

• Upvote 2

Ok, I was kind of leaning towards that.

EDIT: UPDATE I have decided to put Rahi Hunters in motion, and am currently fleshing out the details. It might take a little while but look for another draft coming before (probably close to) the end of the month.

Edited by Smudge8

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is my draft of my new RPG, If there are no comments before Saturday I will post it to the approval page.

39869903614_541c637998_b.jpg

Music to help you get hype.

Welcome to the Island of Terra-Dra Home of adventure and danger. Amongst the peaceful grasslands, calm beaches, dense jungles and tall mountains matoran live side by side with giant, dangerous Rahi. Their survival depends on YOU the hunters. Grab your weapon, put on your mask, and get out there to defend civilization and blaze new trails into the wilds of Terra-Dra. Happy hunting!

The Island

Terra-Dra is a rough and harsh landscape with five areas. Planes-Dra, Beach-Dra, Jungle-Dra,  Mountain-Dra, and Sand-Dra. The Hunters Guild monitors the environments of each area closely, and travel into each area requires the Guild’s permission.

Planes-Dra(Easy)

These peaceful grasslands are dotted with large rocky outcroppings and Matoran Villages. This is the most setled of the regions because the soft rolling hills allow scouts to easily spot incoming threats. This is the perfect place for new hunters to test out their skills before moving onto more dangerous areas. This Region is also the location of the only city, Jagater, the location of Hunters Guild Headquarters.

Jagater is a small city, but it drastically outsizes any other village in Terra-Dra. It has many shops, restaurants, and hotels, but most important it features the Hunters Guild Headquarters. The guild headquarters is a large spire with multiple floors.

The first (ground floor) is home to the reception area. It features a large waiting room with desks for Hunter Licensing, Environmental reports, and so on. Dominating the center of the room is the Request board. On this board are requests for hunters assistance of all types. Anyone can post on the board if they are seeking assistance from a Hunter, and any Hunter can respond to a quest on the board. THis is the only floor open to the public.

The second floor is the social area only open for licensed hunters, featuring a cafeteria with discounted food, a gym area with various training equipment and dummies, and several reservable meeting rooms.

The third floor is a free Dormitory, open to all guild members.

The fourth floor is the grand hall, where the Guild holds meetings for all members.

The fifth floor is the private offices of the Guild masters. Only the Guild masters, and those on official Guild business are permitted on this floor.

Beach-Dra (Easy/Medium)

Where the grasslands meet the sea is Beach-Dra. Thisl area Is covered in rivers, lakes, and tidepools, with large patches of green palm trees and shrubbery. It is the perfect environment for amphibious Rahi, who come here from the ocean. Small fishing villages dot this area, and hunters are frequently called on to stem the wild rahi.

Jungle-Dra(Medium)

The South west side of Terra-Dra is covered in dense jungle, home to a great variety of Rahi, in incredible numbers! The ground is swampy and covered in all kinds of vegetation, while the trees are so huge that some Rahi Never have to touch the ground while moving from branch to branch. While expeditions frequently enter this area to gather various herbs, Jungle-Dra remains largely uninhabited.

Mountain-Dra (Hard)

Those who manage to make it through the forests of Jungle-Dra will find themselves blocked by the region of Mountain-Dra. This massive mountain range separates the Matoran from the northern portion of the island. No one has successfully crossed this region and lived to tell the tail. The rugged conditions of the mountains mean that only the fiercest Rahi live there.

One of the most prominent land features of this area is God’s Roost. This massive mountain stretches up to the heavens, high above the surrounding range, It’s edges are so steep so as to be nearly vertical. No one has ever reached its summit.

Sand-Dra (Hard)

Rumores abound of a vast desert, located just beyond the mountains. There are also rumors that the Hunters Guild may be arranging an expedition to go there.

The Hunters Guild

In a land filled with danger the Hunters Guild serves as a form of government. Their stated mission is to  “Protect, Preserve, and Study.” They dispatch trained hunters to protect civilians from monster attacks. They monitor the actions of all guild members actions and set rules and restrictions to prevent the Matorn from upsetting the delicate balance of nature. They also do extensive study into the flora and fauna of Terra-Dra in order to better understand the ecosystems and advance the Matoran’s standard of living. To enter the guild a Hunter merely has to pay a small fee, then take an interview to measure the applicant’s combat skills and values. It is recommended, but not necessary, to join the guild to be a hunter. The guild leaders are Najora, Guld captain, Paju, chief hunter, and Kumawa, chief ecologist.

Character Creation

The Matoran of Terra-Dra are different from those elsewhere. Living in such a dangerous environment has led them to adapt and gain new powers, making them more like Turaga than regular Matoran. Terra-Dra Matoran are slightly stronger and more durable than their regular counterparts. They have also gained two special abilities.They have developed the mental power to use knoble masks and have learned to tap into their elemental powers in a limited extent. To create a profile you must determine the following characteristics for your characters.

Name:

Element:

Affiliation:

Mask:

Elemental weapon:

Other equipment:

Appearance:

Personality/Biography:

Name:

Some hunters go by their given names, but others choose to use codenames.

The Matoran of Terra-Dra are not gender locked into their elements, so your character can be whatever gender you wish.

Element:

The Matoran of Terra-Dra come in a wide variety of elements. All cannon Matoran elements, except for light and shadow are fair game.

Affiliation:

Hunters have been known to form groups both big and small to help each other. The largest of these is the Hunters Guild. If your character is part of the Hunters Guild say so here. You may also list other player made groups/teams your character is affiliated with. (All members of the hunters guild must be approved by the GM, if you want your character to begin as part of the guild mark them as so here and I will approve/deny).

Mask:

Matoran of Terra-Dra have developed the mental capacity to use knoble masks, however, they are somewhat hard to come by and not everyone has one. Hunters may begin with only one knoble mask. Remember that Knoble masks are weaker versions of Great masks so Role Play accordingly.  (When reviewing profiles the GM may ask for clarification on what you expect your knoble masks limitations to be. It might be good to clarify that here. Only cannon masks are allowed.).

Elemental Weapon:

Through clever weaponsmithing the Matoran of Terra-Dra have developed a way to channel their elemental powers. An elemental weapon is a traditional weapon (sword, spear, battle axe) that matoran can channel their elemental power through in a specific manner. Each tool is designed to react with one element and produce one result. For example, a Ta-Matoran may have a sword that he can cover in fire, when on fire the sword leaves a trail of flame through the air. The sword cannot, however, be used to launch fire at a target (i.e. Flamethrower/fireball). (Please be as specific as you can, see GM NPC profiles for examples.)

Other Equipment:

A hunter with just a weapon often finds themselves underprepared. List any other Equipment/Items your character carries on his/her person. If you can’t think of anything you don’t have to put anything here.

Appearance:

A hunter's appearance can be very important, some wear protective armor, some use elaborate outfits to intimidate monsters, and some merely choose to follow the policy that less is more.

Personality/Biography:

What makes your character who they are? Where did they come from? Why are they a hunter? What is their favorite color? Fill this area with whatever information you desire to give your character background and depth.

Rules

NO GODMODDING-Basically this means doing stuff that you shouldn’t be able to do, fighting for hours without getting a scratch, summoning massive amounts of elemental energy, knowing information your character was never told, etc.

NO CONTROLLING OTHER PEOPLE'S CHARACTERS-this is only allowed if you have that person’s permission

TAKE THE GAME SERIOUSLY-This is a Fantasy/Sci-Fi world, but that doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want. Be realistic with what your characters do.

HAVE FUN-Don’t take the game TOO seriously. Have fun, or else!

If I find that you are breaking any of these rules I will warn you. If inappropriate behavior persists after you have been warned several times you may be punished in game(i.e. Having an animal bite your character’s leg off) or by having use of offending characters denied.

!!!URGENT QUEST!!!

The insectoid rahi known as Zeltar have recently been swarming in huge numbers. These hungry beasts normally inhabit the jungle. Recently they have moved to Planes-Dra and have been devouring farmers crops. We face a severe food shortage if they are not stopped.

Mission:  The guild wants all members to search for their nest and find out what has caused the Zeltar’s recent migration. Seeing as this is a state of emergency, authorization has been given to slay any Rahi that may be connected with this problem.

Questions/comments are greatly apreciated!

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking it'd be fun to run a Makuta-player campaign using the Red Star Games d20 system.  The premise would be six players are makuta trying to take over metru nui.  The setting is an alternate universe where Icarax beat Teridax but wasn't able to maintain control of the Brotherhood, resulting in it becoming decentralized.  The players would be six Makuta in this organization who for whatever reason want to conquer Metru Nui and then control the universe themselves. They'd have all powers a Makuta has, but for balance Metru Nui is comparable to the Toa Empire Universe in that it's fairly well defended.  Also, the team would start on Destral I'd assume. Would this be playable on this site?  Should I just get six players together on here then move to roll20? Any interest at all?

https://www.redstargames.org/

I could also just use the Red Star Games rulebooks as more of a guide, then we could just have a traditional topic going on this forum.  That might work best, honestly. Just let me know if there's interest in this type of campaign and if I could get six people to play.

Edited by Azibo
  • Like 2

In a world where heroes and villains battle for the fate of the universe‚ some people have normal lives and work normal jobs... Zimixes

• 10 months later...

It's 2020 and I had an idea! I'd love to hear your feedback on things you might like to see, but:

Metru-Nui is under threat from the six kingdoms and the brave Toa Mangia are lost after the betrayal of Toa Lhikan. Turaga Dume searches for new toa, offering to award the power of toa to those lucky six who can retrieve the legendary great discs from each metru. While the race for power begins across Metru-Nui, a war of intrigue and diplomacy brews as the great Barraki warlords gather their forces for a final assault after years of proxy wars with the last bastion of matoran civilization. The Dark Hunters mercenary group led by the Shadowed One pit brother against sister for profit. The Great Spirits remain distant and uncommunicative.

To sum up, for those storming the castle in a little less than half an hour: fight the armies of the six barraki warlords, assassinate POIs as member of the Dark Brotherhood, search for the hidden great discs to gain toa powers, and try to uncover what dark secrets exist in the political web of Metru-Nui.

Who do you play?

Since this is a side RPG while we all wait for the next arc in the main BZPRPG, I felt it could be fun to let power levels start to creep a touch higher than normal. I think canon races to Bionicle lore could be allowed with one exception: actual makuta beings. Likewise, I think all great masks that are not legendary (i.e. ignika, vahi, etc.) would be playable. Since the tech level at Metru-Nui's height was also much more advanced than Mata-Nui's in canon, I figured we could look toward the canon when establishing availability of vehicles, tech, and gear.

Edited by Unreliable Narrator

Happy chat.

i remember in canon it was mentioned certain characters had mental shielding to protect against things like that, so perhaps giving each character the option of mental shielding of varying degrees as a trait would be a way to counter a suletu in play. this depends on how others feel, though. i'd lean more towards omitting it

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Seems to fall under the normal roleplay code of conduct. If it's dealing directly with another person's character you need to give them a chance to react.

• Like 2

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Okay, here's the rough.

Six Kingdoms: Escapement

Synopsis:

Metru-Nui is under threat from the six kingdoms and the brave Toa Mangia have been imprisoned after their betrayal alongside Lihkan. Turaga Dume searches for new toa, offering to award the power of toa to those lucky six who can retrieve the legendary great discs from each metru. While the race for power begins across Metru-Nui, a war of intrigue and diplomacy brews as the great Barraki warlords gather their forces for a final assault after years of proxy wars with the last bastion of matoran civilization. The Dark Hunters mercenary group led by the Shadowed One pit brother against sister for profit. The Great Spirit remains distant and uncommunicative save with their servants in the little known Order of Mata-Nui.

To sum up, for those storming the castle in a little less than half an hour: fight the armies of the six barraki warlords, assassinate POIs as member of the Dark Brotherhood with weekly posted bounties, search for the hidden great discs to gain toa powers, and try to uncover what dark secrets exist in the political web of Metru-Nui.

Playable Locations for 1st Game (all locations in a single IC topic, so specify where you are when posting):

• Metru-Nui: all six metrus in their golden age, chute system and all, stricken by the hardships of a prolonged war effort against the league of six kingdoms to the South.
  • Silver Sea: the protodermis ocean dotted with nameless islands and the field of conflict between Metru-Nui's forces and the League's combined armies.

Rules of Play: 

Please see the general rules, common sense guide, and BZPRPG rules of play. We will abide by those with the following differences for character creation:

• All kanohi are available excluding legendary kanohi (i.e. ignika, vahi, etc.).
  • All canon Bionicle species featured in comics, books, movies, and short stories that existed within the GSR are playable. PM Unreliable Narrator if you want approval for a custom species.
  • All beings are lightly resistant to psionic powers. This means any attempts to use psionic powers requires player consent in the same way landing an attack requires player consent.
  • Since the tech level at Metru-Nui's height was also much more advanced than Mata-Nui's in canon, I figured we could look toward the canon when establishing availability of vehicles, tech, and gear.
  • Please make sure you’ve received a character approval message via PM from Unreliable Narrator before you add to the story.

The hope is to have an elevated power level in this RPG when compared to the main BZPRPG, but not to reach final season fighting anime where blocks or cities are being demolished with a single punch. Remember, your characters are part of a collectively told narrative and no one has plot armor. This is an altered league of six kingdoms era in Bionicle lore. "Wacky races" are perfectly acceptable if they are canon to both Bionicle story lore and BZPRPG lore at large (i.e. lesterin). Entirely new species need approval. Please remember this is a team game. We are all telling a story. What do you want your characters to contribute to that story? There will be an IC forum thread and an OOC forum thread. Please post character profiles in the OOC topic thread and tag me in them for a quick approval!

Recommended Character template to submit in a general discussion topic for the game:

• Name
  • Species
  • Faction
  • Brief Description
  • Background/Occupation
  • Flaws (character traits that hold them back, or where they break)
  • A Few Powers
Edited by Unreliable Narrator
Response to player feedback
  • Upvote 2

Happy chat.