The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

About bringing in G&T people to play:

Well, I know I will be playing. I've always wanted to actually play in an RPG, but not of my attempts ever really worked because I never really understood what the worlds were, etc. I am really looking forward to having a RPG that I know what I am getting into, plus I am like three years wiser now.

Basically, I just wanted to point out that this is at least +1 players. Then I'll probably be roped into other ones and I'll just lose the rest of my free time. I fully expect for this to be like a gateway for me, haha

• Upvote 6

The fun kinds.

Professional wrestling?

Plus, narrative with magical flying Toa shooting fire. Realism is a dead concept around here.

We might as well toss everything else out the window as well, like gravity.

For over one thousand years? No, they've got to have an ulterior motive of some kind, or the lulz would start to get old.

This is the same world where people can fly around for a hundred thousand years with minimal advancement. "Old" has no meaning.

People may gamble, but that should hardly be the entire reason for the tournament.

If anything, I'd cut out the Infinity Stone sub-plot entirely, and focus entirely on character interaction within the arena areas.

Personally, I feel that Bionifight, at the moment, isn't offering much more than any other tournament RPG could.

So, cut everything but the tournament from the RPG that need more than just the tournament?

Also, there are critics of Bionifight Infinite who don't approve of your attitude. Think you had the majority on your side? Not anymore...

This attitude is not helping the situation either.

Basically, I just wanted to point out that this is at least +1 players. Then I'll probably be roped into other ones and I'll just lose the rest of my free time. I fully expect for this to be like a gateway for me, haha

This is very much one of the reasons we want RPGs like this to work. Having new players in this sub-forum never hurts. We should be trying to find way to draw them in, not beat them off with a stick.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Also, there are critics of Bionifight Infinite who don't approve of your attitude. Think you had the majority on your side? Not anymore...

This attitude is not helping the situation either.

Again... JiMing is not officially associated with us. :P

He's a frequent Bionifight player and a friend, and we appreciate the intention behind his support, but sometimes what he says can come out wrong.

• Upvote 4

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I never have the majority on my side. I honestly couldn't care if the majority was on my side. I'm not the majority, never said I was.

I know a lot of people disagree with me, and you may be right, but I'm sticking to my guns. 

If everyone unwaveringly sticks to their guns, then this argument will go around and around in circles. Forever. 

We need to negotiate some kind of midway point - a compromise - that satisfies, if not everyone, then the majority of players. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I'd like to mirror portal on this. The last rpg I cared about and stuck with was The Gate. I tried to join the bzprpg once and lost will to keep playing. Bionifight would bring me back.

That said, it does need something more than a tournament and generic macguffins around the facility. I know I would need a reason beyond "you're here and don't want to be" to motivate me to explore.

• Upvote 1

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

That said, it does need something more than a tournament and generic macguffins around the facility. I know I would need a reason beyond "you're here and don't want to be" to motivate me to explore.

What sort of reason might motivate you, then, out of curiosity?

advantages in my next match, over either my opponents or my captors. A place I could talk to people in private. A Safe Spot for my anxiety. And for the character I have in mind, parts. He needs a steady supply of components as it is, and if the only way to find new ones is exploring, well...

• Upvote 1

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

We might as well toss everything else out the window as well, like gravity.

Well, a Toa of Gravity could nullify it, so...

This is the same world where people can fly around for a hundred thousand years with minimal advancement. "Old" has no meaning.

People may gamble, but that should hardly be the entire reason for the tournament.

It's a good sub-plot, though.

So, cut everything but the tournament from the RPG that need more than just the tournament?

Not quite. The tournament is the central highlight; as a result, all sub-plots and shift should be based around it. These sub-plots would take place both between fights, and during them. At the same time, anything which makes the tournament itself distinctive, in contrast to other possible RPGs, should be fostered and encouraged.

If everyone unwaveringly sticks to their guns, then this argument will go around and around in circles. Forever. 

We need to negotiate some kind of midway point - a compromise - that satisfies, if not everyone, then the majority of players. 

The internet in a nut-shell.

At this point, the course of action is pretty simple. The Bionifight GMs go over the RPG, and make the changes based on what would better the RPG. Then, they take it to the judges, and the judges say their piece.

With a topic this divisive, there isn't really a midway point to reach. Just decisions to be made.

I can get that, as that really was the biggest point behind that. xP

The issue I have isn't behind criticism; it happens, it's going to be required, and it's very useful at times. xP

The thing I'm not impressed about, is when you're outright told a thing can't work just because people hate it. Not because it could be done better, or improved, but outright that people won't play it because it's not good, so you have to 'improve' it by changing the very foundation of... everything. Like some people in OCT in the past saying that because licensed material RPGs tended to fail, that everyone should shy away from trying it and that it likely wouldn't be approved or such.

Basically, if it's good, then I like it, if it's criticism just to be Xerox, then I don't like it, to use your example. xP

I tend to be somewhat blunt with stuff, but I really do try to only propose things that I think would actually make an RPG better; nitpicking is always easy, but in the end, it's just pointless. I think it was around the time I had a newer member withdraw an RPG after a review that I decided a shift in style would be needed.

That being said, I'm sure almost any idea can work, so long as it's implement right. Except a Pony RPG; that could never work. Ever.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

• Upvote 3

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

About bringing in G&T people to play:

Well, I know I will be playing. I've always wanted to actually play in an RPG, but not of my attempts ever really worked because I never really understood what the worlds were, etc. I am really looking forward to having a RPG that I know what I am getting into, plus I am like three years wiser now.

I'm going to second this, for the most part. While I resist getting involved in yet another subforum, I'm willing to break my longstanding "I'm not going to get involved in this, too" to play this particular game. 

I do have some experience playing in LRPG, so it wouldn't be far wrong to say that I couldn't get roped in either.   :shrugs:

With that in mind "we ain't never done it that way before" isn't that really that good of an argument. You sound like this game is going to be about big epic quests or something. That's not my impression - Bionifight has never been about that, it's been about well, hitting people with stuff. :P This is saying "we can go beyond hitting people with stuff, we can have characters who hit people with stuff, for a reason." But if arena matches aren't your thing, you're not going to like this RPG much. And if the arena match component is taken out, it's not Bionifight anymore.

Except a Pony RPG; that could never work. Ever.

Challenge accepted.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

Before we go to the judges, I do want to post at least one more revised version of the RPG in this topic, since I think I've found a good way to address many concerns while keeping the RPG mostly how it is right now - but I'd also like to refine said idea if possible.

It might be up within the next few hours? I'll need Chro to get back online and confirm his support first. :P

I didn't write my last post under a completely level head and I'm freely admitting that. This is an issue I feel strongly about. Very strongly.

I will however, say I once feared pretty much entire subforum was made up of closed-minded people who snarled at new players and their optimism over what could be done. And there are a few people like that everywhere. But I've also seen others willing to give ideas a chance, making siggestions, not demands, over what they feel is truly broken. And I still disagree with some on some of their opinons. But seeing those kind of people not immeidately bash Bionifight for taking a different approach to the way the game is played and welcome the migration of new players has made me feel more comfortable in this environment. I hope we can all reach some sort of compromise that satisfies most of us.

(Also, never, NEVER assume I'm officially associated with anyone important, I'm kind of just a rambling fool with opinions. Maybe that status will change in the future, but until then, just another RPer.....)

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

I never have the majority on my side. I honestly couldn't care if the majority was on my side. I'm not the majority, never said I was.

I know a lot of people disagree with me, and you may be right, but I'm sticking to my guns. 

I'm sorry... Satisfy the majority? You are aware you're on the internet, right? Rationality and common ground are over that way, this is a ton of people rambling on with wildy different opinions.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'm sorry... Satisfy the majority? You are aware you're on the internet, right? Rationality and common ground are over that way, this is a ton of people rambling on with wildy different opinions.

This attitude isn't going to bring about any good results. Do us all a favour and please try to be a little more open-minded. :)

Before we go to the judges, I do want to post at least one more revised version of the RPG in this topic, since I think I've found a good way to address many concerns while keeping the RPG mostly how it is right now - but I'd also like to refine said idea if possible.

It might be up within the next few hours? 

I'm looking forward to how this turns out. 

• Upvote 3

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Hey, Icarus, I get that you're biased against us, but, I believe there's a saying; "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything."

also, Xaeraz, I lost my reply to you. ;_; But basically, I was saying that there definitely are places like that for exploring. ^^ The tunnels aren't monitored, so you can have private chats there; you can unwind in your room in the Relaxation Sector, and parts are definitely found in the tunnels at the least, I'd say.

As for the advantage, well... I think that'll be dealt with soon. =)

Well, a Toa of Gravity could nullify it, so...

We could also toss out the idea that money has any value.

It's a good sub-plot, though.

The way you suggested it makes it look like that was the only reason the tournament is a thing.

Not quite. The tournament is the central highlight; as a result, all sub-plots and shift should be based around it. These sub-plots would take place both between fights, and during them. At the same time, anything which makes the tournament itself distinctive, in contrast to other possible RPGs, should be fostered and encouraged.

A tournament RPG needs something more than just a unique tournament to thrive.

It has certainly gotten better than it was at the start.

. But seeing those kind of people not immeidately bash Bionifight for taking a different approach to the way the game is played and welcome the migration of new players has made me feel more comfortable in this environment

Glad to see we can make you feel comfortable here.

With that in mind "we ain't never done it that way before" isn't that really that good of an argument. You sound like this game is going to be about big epic quests or something. That's not my impression - Bionifight has never been about that, it's been about well, hitting people with stuff. :P This is saying "we can go beyond hitting people with stuff, we can have characters who hit people with stuff, for a reason." But if arena matches aren't your thing, you're not going to like this RPG much. And if the arena match component is taken out, it's not Bionifight anymore.

This feels a bit like the opposite side's version of the "Elitist RPer" problem. A bit too much "Get out of our way, this is what the RPG is going to be like."

Why don't we just stop this line of discussion?

--------------------------------------

Personally, I would like to see some way for the contestants to get back at the Organizers and escape the place.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Biased? Trust me, I try to be objective, but I'm a very snarky guy with the mouth of a sailor on other forums. That sorta leaks out onto this forum.

I want to like your RPG, I really do, but I can't see this do anything but flop. The idea is, in my opinion, flawed and unsuited to an RPG.

I did have an idea. How about having characters make a fighter, but allow them to create a non-combatant character for other things like a shopkeeper or a gambling mogul, etc. They would have to keep both running but it'd allow you to both explore and fight.

Though, I still say battles shouldn't be fixed to a schedule. Just saying.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Personally, I would like to see some way for the contestants to get back at the Organizers and escape the place.

I would totally be up for that. 

As much as I disagree with every other thing you said in your post, this I do think would be for the best. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Just keep in mind that we are keeping certain plot points secret for now, since they're, well, kind plot twisty-ish? :P 

What you've said here is certainly a possibility at some point.

Just keep in mind that we are keeping certain plot points secret for now, since they're, well, kind plot twisty-ish?  :P

Okay, you have my attention. Now I'm very interested. 

Just keep in mind that we are keeping certain plot points secret for now, since they're, well, kind plot twisty-ish?  :P

Okay, you have my attention. Now I'm very interested. 

All I'm going to say is that I dislike the idea of an RPG forcing players to remain underground with no possible way of escaping for the entire game

(make of that what you will)

Edited by Strange Festive Voltex

Biased? Trust me, I try to be objective, but I'm a very snarky guy with the mouth of a sailor on other forums. That sorta leaks out onto this forum.

I want to like your RPG, I really do, but I can't see this do anything but flop. The idea is, in my opinion, flawed and unsuited to an RPG.

I did have an idea. How about having characters make a fighter, but allow them to create a non-combatant character for other things like a shopkeeper or a gambling mogul, etc. They would have to keep both running but it'd allow you to both explore and fight.

What is: deja vu?

We could also toss out the idea that money has any value.

Oh, it has value.

That value is derived from the amount of money it takes to buy a Mask of Emulation, grab the Enforcer's "power nullification" ability, and watch said Toa of Gravity's eyes go wide when he realizes he really can't no-sell physics.

A tournament RPG needs something more than just a unique tournament to thrive.

Depends on what we call a unique tournament.

Parugi, if you're still lurking, you got any thoughts to share? Or maybe somebody who was around in the time of Tournament of Shadows? I think that one had Dark Hunter attacks and stuff towards the end and stuff.

Really, the rule of turning points is the most important one. The RPG simply needs to have some.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Oh, it has value.

That value is derived from the amount of money it takes to buy a Mask of Emulation, grab the Enforcer's "power nullification" ability, and watch said Toa of Gravity's eyes go wide when he realizes he really can't no-sell physics.

My point being that you can't just toss out inconvenient facts to make your argument work.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Really, the rule of turning points is the most important one. The RPG simply needs to have some.

By turning points do you mean plot twists and similar? Because there's no way we wouldn't have any of those.

It's definitely an interesting balance when people say "add more story, tell us about the story" but we want to keep the story secretive. :lol:

but their spirits

I thought it was pretty obvious that plot twists and surprises were synonymous with the name Voltex. Guess I don't get out much. :P

This feels a bit like the opposite side's version of the "Elitist RPer" problem. A bit too much "Get out of our way, this is what the RPG is going to be like."

Pardon me for being blunt. I was viewing it from the frame of attracting former G&T Bionifight players into the game. Hitting people with stuff is what we expect from the Bionifight name - or at least, that's what I expect. :P Obviously, there's some strategy and interaction to that, which gives characterization. Allowing for that hint of characterization to grow is not all bad. 

But at the same time, if my character can't hit things with a warhammer, I'm going to be disappointed. 

It's definitely an interesting balance when people say "add more story, tell us about the story" but we want to keep the story secretive.  :lol: 

There's a fine line between keeping the story secretive and not telling us that there even is a story. Up until just now, where you guys have been hinting at this sort of thing, it really sounded like there wasn't much plot beyond the arena fights. 

My concerns are somewhat alleviated now that there's been an indication of further plot twists to come. 

Its not often in an RPG that you don't get to smash somebody with a warhammer in these RPGs. The main problem is with assuming that smashing your foes with said hammer is the entire point of the game.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

BIONIFIGHT INFINITE: REVISION 3

teaser2.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Hello there! Welcome to Bionifight!

Ah, Bionifight. Some of you will know what that word means - whether through word of mouth or via your own experiences. Some of you must wonder what exactly I am jibbering on about in this little letter. Or perhaps you are wondering why you were snatched out of your universe and reappeared inside a containment cube.

Or was it a tube? I can never remember.

So! Bionifight - it is a legendary tournament that has been hosted many times over the past several thousand years. My team and I gather those we deem to be some of the greatest fighters from a variety of universes, plunk you all down in an arena together, and have you battle each other for weeks. At the end, the winner usually earns both eternal bragging rights and whatever mysterious treasure we discover at the location.

In the past, we have summoned a wide variety of species - everything from Matoran to Muaka to Skakdi… I do believe we even had a mutated Takea Shark once. The whole idea behind Bionifight was that a Matoran could theoretically take on a Makuta and beat them. Do take care to be SMART about who you decide to duel, however.

So! While we think over our plans and figure out how we shall balance things properly in the future… we have decided to stick to our usual limits… which is to say that there are none. But please, do take care not to commit suicide through stupidity.

Once more, I say welcome! I dare say that I shall speak to most of you eventually. Take care to speak with the Queen, as she hates to be ignored - and do also take care not to do anything that might make a conversation with our Enforcer necessary.

Until the first round begins,

-The Host

---

Welcome to Bionifight - you have been selected for the latest iteration of a tournament that has been running for thousands of years… well, “selected” puts it lightly. You have all been ripped out of your lives without consent, signed up for this tournament against your will. For some of you, this is the first time that it has ever happened. For others… not so much.

For some of you, winning the tournament might become your top priority - after all, surely victory would end the tournament and allow for all of you to be sent home, back to your old lives?

For others, you might have no interest in winning the tournament. You would not even compete if you were not forced to - what you are interested in is everything else. Why are you here? Where is here? There must be another way back home, or some way that you can escape the facility.

For others still, you may want the best of both worlds. After all, who is to say that you cannot win the tournament and escape at the same time?

HOW ROUNDS WORK

Fights are, technically, mandatory - after all, you were not summoned to Bionifight to socialize on the sidelines. Rounds shall operate on a flexible time structure; whenever a new round of battle is announced, fighters will have 24 hours until the match begins. Rounds will then last until the second Saturday after the initial announcement, unless otherwise stated. All times given are NA EST. Fighters may decide not to participate in a match, although it will cost them a life (SEE INFINITE SYSTEM BELOW).

When there is not a fighting round occurring, fighters are free to explore the facilities or do whatever they wish until the next announcement occurs.

As a tournament, there are also points to be earned in Bionifight; winning a round will gain a fighter three points, while surviving a round will leave a fighter unaffected. Fighters may be rewarded by the Organizers for their progress in the tournament or for their actions outside of the arena. These rewards could vary from receiving an extra life to even being granted control over an Infinity Gem.

THE INFINITE SYSTEM

In order to make sure that fighters participate the arena battles, the Organizers have developed the “Infinite System” - a failsafe device implanted into every single fighter. All fighters start out the tournament with seven “lives”; these lives can be lost by getting KO’d during a match, by breaking the rules, or by deciding to skip a battle. Once a fighter has lost all of their lives, the Infinite System will activate and kill them instantly; the cause of death is unique to each fighter.

Likewise, fighters can also gain lives; winning a round will earn a fighter one life, and fighters may be rewarded with extra lives for other tasks as well (SEE INFINITE GEMS BELOW).

INFINITE GEMS

The location of every Bionifight tournament is determined based on whether there are any legendary or powerful objects in the area.

The location of this tournament was selected due to the mysterious “Infinite Gems” that are hidden within the tunnels stretching away from the facility; nobody exactly knows where or how to find them - or what obstacles one might face. Rumor has it that the Organizers have a few in their possession already.

From the few scripts in the library on the subject that have been translated into modern tongue, it is believed that there are eight Infinite Gems more powerful than any of the others; unfortunately, the translated scripts offer no hints as to what powers these more powerful Gems might bestow upon the user. However, the scripts do specifically reference weaker gems; gems that bestow upon the user complete control over elements such as fire and ice, or grant the user increased attributes such as strength and speed.

Should a fighter discover an Infinite Gem, they can bring it back to the Bionifight facility and hand it over to the Organizers - every Infinite Gem recovered shall earn the fighter five lives, allowing the fighter some breathing room.

There are also whispers of something else - something more powerful than the Infinite Gems. However, the Organizers have found nothing substantial to prove the existence of such a thing… which is not to say that the search has stopped by any means.

THE BIONIFIGHT FACILITY

bionifightinfinitemapsmall.jpg

Where is the Bionifight tournament held? Where is the facility located? That’s a good question, once that you shall have to answer for yourselves. All the Organizers have shared is that the entire facility is located underground.

The main portion of the facility is rather enigmatic. What is known is that it has four entrances into the rather rectangular arena, one on each wall. Between the arena and the rest of the facility, there are expansive locker rooms, including medical areas, and emergency resting areas. Directly above the arena, there is a small circular control room, where the Enforcer monitors the entire facility. Typically, they only focus on the arena; however, when needed, the Enforcer can know what is happening in the rest of the facility. The location of the offices of the Host and the Queen seem to change within the blink of an eye. Their offices can only be found if their occupants want them to be found.

There are is a single hallway that loops around the outside of the arena, connecting the whole facility together. There are four stairways up to the upper floor equally spaced in gaps between the four locker rooms. Tunnels also appear intermittently, much like the offices of the Host and Queen, spread out across the hallway. According to the Host and the Queen, it might be in these tunnels that one might locate the mystical Infinity Gems.

On the upper floor, there are a total of four sectors which surround the control room - the Knowledge Sector to the north, the Training Sector to the east, the Commercial Sector to the south, and the Comfort Sector to the west. Of these four, only the Knowledge Sector and Commercial Sector are entirely open to spectators, although they may also make use of half the Comfort Sector.

The Knowledge Sector is a massive library, providing information on previous tournaments and, although it might be difficult to find, information regarding the lore of the Infinite Gems. The Training Sector houses sparring areas for fighters to train for future fights. The Commercial Sector contains a food court, as well as various concession stands selling Bionifight merchandise. The Comfort Sector is where the fighters and spectators live; one half of the Comfort Sector is blocked off to spectators, providing fighters with private rooms to sleep, lounge, and interact; the other half is open to everyone, providing residence for the spectators for the duration of the tournament.

There are a total of four large doors in each sector; one to the hallway, two to the adjacent sectors, and one to the control room. However, the control room’s doors are seemingly perpetually locked, and the doors to the Training sector and the fighter-only half of the Comfort Sector will only react to the fighters themselves.

ARENA VARIANTS

The arena has several possible configurations available for each round, not including its default state. As the tournament progresses, additional arena variants shall be added as the Organizers deem them necessary.

1 - Great Furnace: Based upon an expansive industrial smeltery from another dimension, the Great Furnace is a treacherous combat zone rife with jets of fire, streams of molten metal, and the occasional angry telepathic plant monster.

2 - Mount Ihu: Based upon a frigid mountain at the center of an otherwise tropical island, Mount Ihu is the antithesis of the Great Furnace. Blinding storms of snow and hail are frequent; wild Rahi and slippery slopes also pose a threat.

3 - Mahri-Nui: Based upon an underwater city contained within a giant bubble, Mahri-Nui is an ordinary city battleground… although if a fighter manages to destroy the bubble, the flood of water that follows will incapacitate every fighter for several seconds, as well as unleash any predators that might have been swimming around outside the city.

4 - Pirate Ship: Based upon a pirate ship at sea - go figure. The ship provides the only solid ground to battle upon, and predators lurk in the seas surrounding the ship.

5 - Temple of Time: Based upon the most sacred place on a mystical island, the Temple of Time holds new challenges and threats each time it is used, making it the most unpredictable of the arena variants.

GAME TYPES

There are currently four different game types available for the Bionifight tournament. As the tournament progresses, additional game types shall be added as the Organizers deem them necessary.

1 - Free For All: This is the standard brawl; every fighter is pitted against the others, and the last one standing at the end of the round wins. If more than one fighter is still in the arena at the end of the round, the one with the most knockouts shall be announced as the victor.

2 - Team Battle: This game type functions similarly to Free For All, except that the fighters are divided into even teams. An MVP shall be selected from the winning team.

3 - Tag Team: Each fighter is paired with another to work alongside for the round. The final tag team standing wins. If more than one tag team is still in the arena at the end of the round, the tag team with the most knockouts shall be announced as the victors.

4 - Horde Mode: The fighters must battle against an endless horde of mindless drones operated by the Host and the Queen. The drones will all have a specific power set determined at the start of the round. The fighter still standing at the end of the round that destroys the most drones shall win.

To join the RPG, fill out a profile for your character and have one of the staff (Voltex, Blade, or Chro) approve it. We are currently limiting players to an absolute maximum of two characters each, due to the nature of the game. We are not necessarily approving all canon elements or powers… but we’re also not going to limit you to them either.

Name: [Character’s name]

Species: [Character’s species or race]

Power/Weapon 1: [A power, elemental or otherwise - or a weapon/tool]

Power/Weapon 2: [Another power or weapon/tool]

Power/Weapon 3: [Another power or weapon/tool]

Appearance: [What does your character look like?]

Bio: [Your character’s history; who are they? What did they do with their life before Bionifight?]

Personality/Other: [Gender? Is there any other information that is useful to know?]

THE BIONIFIGHT ORGANIZERS (STAFF CHARACTERS)

Character Name: The Host

Power/Weapon 1: Teleportation of himself and others.

Power/Weapon 2: Telekinesis, including levitation by telekinetically lifting himself.

Power/Weapon 3: Mimicry. The Host can copy one other power at any point; in order to copy a new power, he must lose the old one.

Appearance: Physically imposing, standing above most fighters at seven feet tall, the Host is clad in regal red and gold over black. He wears a dark decorative cloak, with a hood that hides his face, but does not muffle his booming voice.

Bio: The Host is one of the final survivors of an ancient race, destroyed mysteriously eons ago. Alongside the Queen, he travelled through several universes, until at some point the pair created Bionifight. The Host decided to work as the face of the organization.

Personality/Other: The Host is externally jovial and grandiose, with a kind and accessible personality. Sometimes he strolls through the common areas outside the arena interacting warmly with the fighters. Working as the figurehead of a fighting tournament, this happiness is clearly a facade, but not one that the Host has ever let slip in the vicinity of a fighter. The Host has a deep appreciation for his cloak.

Character Name: The Queen

Power/Weapon 1: A golden trident that can be summoned back to the user.

Power/Weapon 2: Elemental Control over Psionics

Power/Weapon 3: Accuracy - this power is always active at a low level, giving the Queen slightly better accuracy than most beings; however, when focused upon, it becomes impossible for her to miss her target.

Appearance: Like the Host, the Queen stands seven feet tall. Her armor is a mixture of light blue and gold, with silver and gunmetal accents. She carries a lightweight golden trident, and her armor often shimmers, giving her the appearance of being underwater.

Bio: Along with the Host, the Queen is one of the only two surviving members of her species, of which every other member was killed in an unknown incident thousands of years ago. The Queen travelled through several universes alongside the Host, eventually creating the Bionifight tournaments.

Personality/Other: The Queen often seems either cold or withdrawn, although she has been known to be both calm and welcoming to fighters who treat her respectfully. On occasion, she has also been known to help fighters break the rules without being caught by the Host.

Character Name: The Enforcer

Power/Weapon 1: The Enforcer has a sword that can shift into a bow mechanically. The bow’s string is stored within the hilt when not in use. The middle of the blade has a hole on either side, which is used in Bow mode to feed the string through. After conversion, the blades are covered by metal up until the hole, so that the wielder can’t accidentally cut themselves.

Power/Weapon 2: Power Cancellation

Power/Weapon 3: Prison Constructs - the Enforcer can create the perfect physical prison for an opponent; these prisons will counter any powers that the opponents try to use.

Appearance: The Enforcer has a gold coloured mask that seems to change every time they appear. They have forest green armour, and a icy-white chestplate. Stands seven feet tall like the Host and the Queen, although the Enforcer is a different species. They have an intricately patterned sheath on their back, which they use to hold their sword when it’s not in use.

Bio: They were found during one of the earliest Bionifight tournaments and immediately hired; their power cancellation ability is often used to keep fighters in check.

Personality/Other: Very little is known about the Enforcer, other than their abilities and that they were once a contestant in the tournament.

RULES

1. BZP rules apply, of course

2. No god-modding (avoiding/dodging/countering all attacks, never taking damage, dealing insane hits, etc.)

3. Do not control other player characters without their permission

4. Use the tag “IC” when posting in character, and “OOC” when speaking out of character.

5. Keep things fair - it doesn’t matter what your powers are. If the Hosts believe that you are not following this, the harsh judgement of the Organizers shall upon you (with a handy explanation of what you have done wrong).

5. Have fun or you shall be fed to Xaeraz. This is always the fifth rule, even if it’s not.

• Upvote 5

Though, I still say battles shouldn't be fixed to a schedule.

I may have a solution to this.

What if the fighters themselves were kept on a looser schedule? If they were only required to fight twice inside of, say, a five battle period, it would give characters plenty of time to go exploring during the downtime they would have to prepare themselves physically and mentally for each fight. Using real-world matches as an example, it's not entirely common for contestants to participate in multiple events per showing due to factors such as injury or fatigue, so if the characters running the tournament were doing it for monetary purposes, sending in half-defeated fighters to fight wouldn't exactly rake in as much money as a match between two combatants that were fully rested.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

In order to make sure that fighters participate the arena battles, the Organizers have developed the “Infinite System” - a failsafe device implanted into every single fighter. All fighters start out the tournament with seven “lives”; these lives can be lost by getting KO’d during a match, by breaking the rules, or by deciding to skip a battle. Once a fighter has lost all of their lives, the Infinite System will activate and kill them instantly; the cause of death is unique to each fighter. 

Should a fighter discover an Infinite Gem, they can bring it back to the Bionifight facility and hand it over to the Organizers - every Infinite Gem recovered shall earn the fighter five lives, allowing the fighter some breathing room. 

I actually like this idea. It gives an incentive to search for the gems, and turns it into a sort of risk-reward system. 

Overall, this new version looks great. 

• Upvote 4

Okay, separating that specific part from the original post, it would still be more amusing to watch fully-rested fighters duke it out rather than fatigued ones.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I actually like this idea. It gives an incentive to search for the gems, and turns it into a sort of risk-reward system. 

Overall, this new version looks great. 

Very glad to hear that you like it!

Okay, separating that specific part from the original post, it would still be more amusing to watch fully-rested fighters duke it out rather than fatigued ones.

It can make things more interesting when your battle strategy changes based on fatigue and the onset of desperation... but yes, fully-charged fighters duking it out is generally more exhilarating overall. :D

By the way, here's an alternate map that I made. There are a couple inaccuracies (for example, the arena is supposed to be rectangular, not round) but I liked it enough to share.

Edited by Chro

but their spirits

If someone finds a weak gem or one of the more powerful ones, are those still worth just 5 lives?

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Actually, I just noticed something in your wording. You say if we give the gems to the organisers, they will give us five extra lives as a reward. What do the gems themselves do for a character if they decided to keep one?

Or is that a surprise? 

Actually, I just noticed something in your wording. You say if we give the gems to the organisers, they will give us five extra lives as a reward. What do the gems themselves do for a character if they decided to keep one?

Or is that a surprise? 

It depends on the Gem.

For example, if you were to find a Gem of Fire, you might gain control over the element of fire; if it was a Gem of Strength, it would increase your character's strength much like a Pakari.

Being "on the internet" does not excuse a poor attitude. Most of the people in this topic are conversing rationally and attempting to find common ground.

You alone are in control of your words and actions. If you cannot restrain yourself, then don't post. Take a walk and cool down.

You've said this many times, and unless you have anything new to add, I'd recommend staying silent. Please and thank you. Posting "this isn't going to work" over and over provides absolutely no benefit to anyone.

Two quotes to keep in mind when replying to this topic:

BE NICE: I’m not going to say, “If you have nothing to say, then say nothing at all!” Because constructive critique can be negative, too. However, being blatantly destructive of another person’s work doesn’t help anyone – it just hurts that person and makes you look like a… well, like a something-that-doesn’t-belong-on-a-family-friendly-forum. Don’t be the mean one, or else we, the Staff, will have to be mean, too. That’s no fun.

BE CONSTRUCTIVE: Of course, though, too much kindness is just about as helpful as too much meanness; that being not at all. Comments that just say “Great work!” or “OMGeezles that’s amazing 999/10!!!” are a waste of space. I know you can do better than that! Tell them the all-important  why! What makes you like or dislike their work?

As for Bionifight's third revision: I'll be honest: I'm leery of numbers in RPGs. Hitpoints, experience points, damage points, and yes, lives. In this case, it's because you're essentially saying that some characters may live for only seven-ish weeks. After seven rounds, if they haven't won a match or found an Infinity Stone, they're dead. That sort of rustles my jimmies because if you get enough people, the odds are that not everyone's going to win a match or find a Stone. There's only so much victory to go around.

On the other hand, I love the sense of danger and risk. The threat of death is very real, which can be a difficult feat to pull off in an RPG. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

My one suggestion: what if the Queen (and perhaps the Enforcer and Host as well) could choose a couple of fighters from each round and reward them with extra life based on their performance? In ancient Rome, gladiators who fought well could stay alive even if they lost, as long as their performance impressed the spectators enough to let them fight another day. A similar system here would reward good roleplaying even if it doesn't result in a win.

• Upvote 5

I actually really like the life system. Probably because it reminds me of Perpetual. Which I still need to look into doing something with... Maybe not as a BIONICLE RPG, but as something else. Hm.

Anyway,

Parugi, if you're still lurking, you got any thoughts to share? Or maybe somebody who was around in the time of Tournament of Shadows? I think that one had Dark Hunter attacks and stuff towards the end and stuff.

Sorry--on which part of the discussion are you asking for thoughts? I'm finding like twelve different trains of talk going on right now and having difficulty sorting out what's relevant and what's not. If you're asking what I think about the ability of tournament RPGs to function strictly as tournament RPGs, I gave my thoughts on that a page or two back. =)

• Upvote 1

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

My one suggestion: what if the Queen (and perhaps the Enforcer and Host as well) could choose a couple of fighters from each round and reward them with extra life based on their performance? In ancient Rome, gladiators who fought well could stay alive even if they lost, as long as their performance impressed the spectators enough to let them fight another day. A similar system here would reward good roleplaying even if it doesn't result in a win.

I actually like this idea. Since there's an audience, there's going to be crowd favourites - in this case those fighters who put on spectacular performances but don't necessarily win. I think it might be a good idea to reward them as well. 

As for Bionifight's third revision: I'll be honest: I'm leery of numbers in RPGs. Hitpoints, experience points, damage points, and yes, lives. In this case, it's because you're essentially saying that some characters may live for only seven-ish weeks. After seven rounds, if they haven't won a match or found an Infinity Stone, they're dead. That sort of rustles my jimmies because if you get enough people, the odds are that not everyone's going to win a match or find a Stone. There's only so much victory to go around.

On the other hand, I love the sense of danger and risk. The threat of death is very real, which can be a difficult feat to pull off in an RPG. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think you misunderstood something - we did away with the whole "one whole arena fight every single week" with the first revision.

I actually like this idea. Since there's an audience, there's going to be crowd favourites - in this case those fighters who put on spectacular performances but don't necessarily win. I think it might be a good idea to reward them as well. 

Could definitely be possible. I've been planning on doing something of the sort since I feel like the Queen is that kind of character; but I don't think it necessarily needs to be stated outright?

• Upvote 4