• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Official RPG Planning Topic

• Please log in to reply
849 replies to this topic

#841 Offline The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,095 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 11 2014 - 02:06 PM

Although some player-run games have had up to four topics: discussion, characters and two different RPing topics. How those two relate to each other is up to you. See Cradle of Civilisation and Masquerade.

citd_small.jpg

#842 Offline Silo

Silo
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 80 posts

Posted Aug 11 2014 - 03:26 PM

Idea:

The basic premise is that your character(s) are on board the Red Star, trapped. The Star is a little smaller than Metru-Nui and is overrun by...well basically zombies of all the former inhabitants of the MU.

More will be added to the story such as the main threat (other than overpopulation) when I think of them - I have a few ideas, but suggestions would be welcome.

The playable races: all the MU races including some of the more obscure ones and makuta....and also Kestora of which I will create a few verities like elements for MU beings.

Elements for Matoran, toa, skakdi etc: all sixteen standard MU ones, plus a few of my own such as poison, kinetics etc

Just in it's very early stages at the moment, but any suggestions or critique you have would be much appreciated  :D

-Silo

#843 Offline The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,095 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 11 2014 - 05:34 PM

Playable Makuta, huh? That's not something that is often done, just because of how much more powerful they are than (almost) every other species there is. If you have ideas for how to make them work though, then props to you.

If you're looking for ideas on a Red Star-based game, you might want to check out Reborn in Red, from contest 28, and look at how that was set up. It was originally created by Zakaro, with later contributions from Canis Lycaon and myself.

(Since it is an older post and the formatting has decayed, copy-paste it into the post-box of an active topic and hit the code switch twice (top left hand corner). That should fix most of the issues.)

citd_small.jpg

#844 Offline Silo

Silo
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 80 posts

Posted Aug 12 2014 - 01:48 PM

Oh right, didn't realised that idea was taken... back to the drawing board I guess  :(

#845 Offline The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,095 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 12 2014 - 01:58 PM

Taken? No, certainly not. Just because the setting has been used before doesn't mean it can't be used again. You could just tell a different story about what is going on up there, using different characters and setups.

Making a game from your own take on something in BIONICLE is no barrier to success. We have had more than one successful game based on the Toa/Dark Hunter war on Metru Nui, for instance.

Edited by The Lorax, Aug 12 2014 - 01:58 PM.

citd_small.jpg

#846 Offline Silo

Silo
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 80 posts

Posted Aug 14 2014 - 01:22 PM

OK, well I've got another idea, but thanks anyway...

THE MAZE

This is the Maze.

No-one remembers how they got here.

No-one knows how to get out.

The maze is always changing.

The maze is getting smaller.

The setting:

This is set in a huge (possibly infinite) maze, possibly inside a planet, possibly a pocket-dimension - nobody knows.

Beings arrive overnight with no memory of their past lives.

Gravity is localized here; when a turn in a path comes, a common sight is the path turning not left or right but instead up or down - when a being steps into that passage, the gravity will take hold and the "down" for that tunnel will become the "down" for the being (for someone standing in an adjacent corridor, it may seem as if the being is standing horizontally or even upside-down).

Because of this, the maze is not simply flat, but instead three-dimensional, adding a whole new dimension of difficulty and confusion.

Some have speculated that the maze is in the shape of a cube, but the maze is almost impossible to map given it's 3-D nature.

Passages look up not to sky but instead more sections of the maze, hanging impossibly above and to the side. Sometimes, it is even possible to see other beings wondering around above or to the side, appearing to stand horizontally or upside-down.

Some passages open out into much larger rectangle areas that can house camps or even settlements.

The substance the walls are made of is seemingly indestructible - a smooth but non-glossy grey material. Using flight powers to escape upwards is impossible - the localized gravity is impossible to navigate and in any case, the maze's 3-dimensional layout is disorientating.

Strange silver plants grow from some walls, which you can eat.

Every day, the ambient light everywhere is somehow dimmed for 12 hours (which is strange since there is no actual source of the daylight) causing night and day.

Where do you come in?

*Message from a toa near the settlement of Tuanga*

It's gone...the whole village...disappeared.

I was keeping watch just outside the Open that housed it...when I turned, there was a wall and nothing more.

The maze is getting smaller! Soon there will be nothing! 

You heard him - the maze is getting smaller. Where paths and settlements once stood, there are blank grey walls.

And it's happening fast.

The only clue of how to get out is an ancient message carved in a wall in part of the maze (The only wall anywhere that has been scratched in any way):

When the maze becomes deleted

When the systems are depleted

Go to the centre-heart

For your real lives to start

The only way to escape the maze is to find it's centre - a feat that most consider impossible, as the maze seems infinite.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You wake up with no memory of your previous life somewhere in the maze - it may take you a while to meet others or you may be near a settlement.

You must escape the maze by finding it's centre - the place where there is the only hope of escape.

Many different species of the matoran universe are here, none with memory of life before the maze. No-one can remember how long they have been here - days, months, years, centuries, who knows?

But one thing is certain: the maze is getting smaller, as if its furthermost reaches are being deleted.

Sometimes a blank wall will replace where a tunnel once was, or sometimes a tunnel that once led somewhere will lead you back to somewhere else, in an endless recursive loop that defies logic.

Strange stones dubbed "Shifter Stones" appear all around the maze.

When a being holding one wishes them to do so, they will teleport the holder to a random place in the maze...

But there's a catch:  the stone stays where it was, meaning that once a being is teleported, there is no way back other than finding the place again, a near impossible feat.

The maze has no rahi, but since the maze has started to be reduced, strange grey beings have appeared instead of MU beings, killing anyone they see.

So...dare to enter the maze?

So there you have it...it's in its very early stages of development, but any feedback you can give would be much appreciated, especially since this is the first RPG I've done  :D 

Edited by Silo, Aug 14 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#847 Offline The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,095 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 17 2014 - 02:42 AM

It's a decent concept, if not a particularly original one and it's a bit light on the story side of things. Still, so long as a bit more of that gets revealed along the way (the characters' lives before the maze, how they got there, what happens once they escape, etc), then I won't complain too much.

citd_small.jpg

#848 Offline Silo

Silo
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 80 posts

Posted Aug 17 2014 - 01:58 PM

Does each contest have a theme? ( I noticed that a lot of the ntries for the last one were "city" themed)

#849 Online Silvan Haven

Silvan Haven
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 1,017 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 17 2014 - 02:09 PM

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. We get told if there is one or not at the start of each contest.

Going off of some stuff that Black Six said earlier, I think we might be switching to a judging system after the time runs out for this contest cycle.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

#850 Offline The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,095 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 17 2014 - 05:20 PM

That is true. To expand upon what Silvan said, themes are only occasionally applied to contests. There was no official theme for the last contest, it just happened that most of the games that people came up with took place in cities.

I'm not sure how a theme would work under a judging system as opposed to the current contest model, but if the themes were to continue, we'd be about due for the next one to come up. Contest 28 was themed for RPGs taking place underground, and contest 28 games featured villains who would turn out to be puppets of someone else. That was about a year ago, so if themes continue, I would not be surprised to see one soon.

citd_small.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users