• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

The Official RPG Planning Topic

• Please log in to reply
901 replies to this topic

#881 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,886 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 13 2014 - 05:37 AM

There is no "just" or "little" about this. People went to it because a spirit's wish is a person's deepest desire, the thing which, by definition, they would give up anything else to have. Also remember that the wishes need not always be selfish, and that the destination dimensions would probably also contain a wisher's loved ones. They would be the same people that they care about, just with a few different experiences. Finally on the selfishness point - is it not worse to ask your friends to stay along with you, and deny them a shot at their deepest desires?

They may be the same people, but you're still dimension hopping, and you're still leaving people behind. The people on the other side are not the same people as on the side, because the dimension you came from, and all of its people, still exist.

Yes, but they're not the one asking. You are. And you're leaving people behind, unless every single person would leave - and they wouldn't.

(But first, a quick stop-off on the war/control point - there is no point in any group controlling the archway. The characters who might get control of the archway would, by definition, want whatever was on the other side of it more than they would want to stay and control the wish, so they walk though. Then they are gone, and no longer controlling who has access to the archway.)

Not every group would want to use it. Some might wish to study it. Others destroy. So on, so forth. Unless the Wish can just telekinetically drag people through, there would be

You're quite right, I haven't put much effort into making things mysterious here. This was on purpose. It was not meant to be mysterious. I am now coming to the end of RPing four months of mystery in CitD, so I've had my fill of that, and there will always be other places I can get mystery when I want it and can handle it better. This game is not about exploring mysteries, it is about travelling through the BIONICLE multiverse, constantly running from reality-destroying calamities while trying to find a way to combat them along the journey. And dealing with whatever gets thrown at them in the dimensions that they travel through. Adventure and action and the key words here.

There's a huge difference between wanting to relieve mystery and handing out meta-game knowledge. I'm not exactly good about that myself, and self-awareness tends to give a new perspective on these things. The point is, the player shouldn't know more than the character does. Especially since some players, especially new ones, will attempt to incorporate that knowledge into their characters in some way (again, something I can attest to having been guilty of in the past).

This is exactly the reason why I had to put those three sentences in. The end was messy, and saying it never  was the quickest, cleanest way to deal with that and move on. Stating very briefly and generically that all that stuff in the serials never happened frees us from having to wonder how all those unresolved things might affect our characters and opens up the characters involved in those for PC-ification and involvement in the game plot.

Show, don't tell.

As stated above, this stuff is not the point of the RPG. It is just background to the backstory, so I don't feel the need to go into huge depth on exactly how it all happened. Who cares what repercussions it had on Spherus Magna when those are now all irrelevant. Everyone left that world and the only repurcussions that matter now, for the game, are that everyone ended up in Vezonland and the multiverse is deeply broken. Those, I explained in some depth.

And what? The characters have all been massively screwed over! They got a short amount of time getting exactly what they wanted (or thought they wanted), only to have it all torn away from them by something they had no idea was coming and couldn't control. I'm not sure what you mean by them being "too late".

Too late through the Gate, that is. The way I interpreted it, the Gate had transported too many people, and instead started chucking people into Vezonland. Or is that incorrect?

And regardless of how much information you want to give, it's not necessary. Only information which is known or needed by the characters should be provided.

The multiverse bit is outside of what any character knows about for the moment, but I think it needs to be there all the same. It is, after all, where most of the game will take place, so players need to know about what they would be getting into, and judges need it to be able to evaluate the game. Not having that section included would be like writing up a game set on Mata Nui and then having the action move to Voya Nui a week into the game with no prior hints at that.

I'd recommend, then, that you simply utilize a simple "multiverse" heading rather than the "Settings" one, with some sort of explanation of the multiverse at large, followed by Vezonland, the only alternate universe explored thus far.

As I said to Silvan above, I think a game can handle 2-3 groups if they are managed properly. One group of Lost that leaves, one group of Shadows to chase them, and another group of whoever is left in Vezonland, to try and kill Vezon or whatever. Who ends up in what group can be determined by, as you say, differences in the characters' priorities and ideals, clashing personalities and all that good stuff. That doesn't preclude conflict within the groups either. In fact, I expect it. Since it will be almost impossible for PCs to reunite in Vezonland with the people they knew and associated with on Spherus Magna, they may be forced into teaming up with people they don't totally like or agree with. And that will be fun.

You sound fairly sure about how the group dynamics will form. From experience? It never works out as cleanly as you expect. In any case, unless you're going to start allowing players to kill each other off, having the Shadows be PCs just kills off dramatic tension - better to have pursuers fall under the "GM controlled, murderous NPC" category.

Sorry for the brevity of discussion, but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Good luck working.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

#882 Offline ghidora131

ghidora131
  • Members
  • Toa

• 178 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 13 2014 - 10:13 AM

From my view of it, it seems a bit uncontrollable.

First of all, if you are counting some fan made dimensions, and all the pre-existing dimensions, that leaves you with a lot of room to take care of. It would make you much, much more busy than in citd. There, you did a fraction of what you will have to do, and eventually narrowed it down to about five people who were significant. in this, however, you played it in reverse. You'll start everyone off as a giant group, but it seems they will eventually wander off, and may "accidentally" come up with story pieces that don't make sense(like I did, sorry about that), and then you have to rush around fixing everything until it's in proper order. With everything as it is, and only you knowing the actual point of it all, it seems very hard to do it by yourself.

Now that I'm done criticizing you, i'll praise you. First of all, having Vezon as the main villain in all of this is incredible. With an insane mind like his to work with, your limits are very, very far off. Second, on my earlier statement: If you think that you have the ability to track everyone across different dimensions all while plotting more for them to fall through, then congratulations! You are very talented, Lorax, and despite this being the critic section, I wish you the best of luck!

https:/404.error..jpg/2--341562#//Ghidora131/connect.hdi.jlk/

Hashtag/trollface1.7//dominationworld.//systemerror.//.jpg

#883 Offline Silvan Haven

Silvan Haven
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,102 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 13 2014 - 12:21 PM

Levacius: I think the amount of meta-knowledge we got was pretty good. If he got rid of the amount of stuff you want everybody would spend the first six months of the game bumbling around wondering what in the world is going on. Not every game needs to be a mystery.

ghidora: I doubt that Lorax plans on sending the players to a dozen different dimensions all at once. They all start in roughly the same place, get the chance to form groups and then are sent on adventures.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

#884 Online The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,215 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 13 2014 - 05:28 PM

From my view of it, it seems a bit uncontrollable.

Silvan hits the nail on the head. Just because many different dimensions exist, doesn't mean there will be PCs in all of them at once. Since olmaks will not be immediately available (see Silvan's first response), dimensional travel will only take place as part of interaction with plot stuff. A group that forms in Vezonland might escape into Karda Nui, go from there into the Kingdom, get sucked through a Fall into the Battle of Bara Magna and then dragged back to Vezonoand by a bunch of Shadows, but they would do all of it as a group. This means I only need to be looking after one group of characters and one set of NPCs at a time. I think that doing this for 2-3 groups is within my abilities as a GM.

In any case, unless you're going to start allowing players to kill each other off, having the Shadows be PCs just kills off dramatic tension - better to have pursuers fall under the "GM controlled, murderous NPC" category.

The Shadows are not murderous. They only want to bring the Lost back to Vezonland, which, from my perspective, is completely possible within the game in a way that killing them would not be. This is why they are playable: they are not prevented from achieving their goal by plot. That and I thought they would make fun characters to play.

You sound fairly sure about how the group dynamics will form. From experience? It never works out as cleanly as you expect. 

This is true, but in very broad terms, I can make some reasonable predictions. I don't think it would be too much to ask to get a group of beings who want to escape Vezonland, a group of Shadows, and a group who doesn't want to escape. Whatever the dynamics happen to be within those groups, I can work with whatever comes up.

Too late through the Gate, that is. The way I interpreted it, the Gate had transported too many people, and instead started chucking people into Vezonland. Or is that incorrect?

Incorrect. Here is the relevant bit:

...each and every traveler who had walked through the Spirit’s Wish was ripped from their new dimension and catapulted back, not to their original home on Spherus Magna, but to the place that had started it all: Vezon’s insane pocket dimension.

Everyone who went through the archway got their wish, and then everybody was pulled back to Vezonland. Everybody get screwed over, no matter how early or late they used the archway.

There's a huge difference between wanting to relieve mystery and handing out meta-game knowledge. I'm not exactly good about that myself, and self-awareness tends to give a new perspective on these things. The point is, the player shouldn't know more than the character does. Especially since some players, especially new ones, will attempt to incorporate that knowledge into their characters in some way (again, something I can attest to having been guilty of in the past).

If I were to remove from the game everything that the characters won't know or be sure of from the start, I would not have much of a game left, and that game wouldn not be representative of what would be RPed. It would be like if, in Trapped in a Map, our characters had escaped the map after two weeks and then spent the rest of the three months playing a massive alkilini tournament. It would be lying to the people who signed up to play the game about what they would be playing.

To keep with the TiaM analogy (since that is a recent game that both of us played and liked) I'm not greatly worried about people using the information presented here when making their characters. In that game, we knew from the beginning of the game, though our characters didn't, that there really was a way out of the Map, and it would be discovered soon. So we made characters to take advantage of those facts, giving them means and motivation to take advantage. Your faction of Inquisitors was a response to the OOC knowledge that there would be conflict between the Worshippers and the Disruptors. 

These were not bad things to do. We weren't giving characters extra knowledge or having them act out of character. We were just making characters who were suited to the world of the game and would be able to interact strongly with the story. There is nothing wrong with this, in my view. If people want to make characters who would be equipped (in terms of personality and backstory) to deal with interdimensional journeying and play them, that's fine. It's the same as wanting to play a detective character in a mystery RPG - playing characters appropriate to the setting.

If things cross in actual metagaming where characters know things they shouldn't, I can deal with that as it comes up. I'm going to trust players not to do that, and since the characters will be finding out a lot fairly quickly, hope that they won't feel the need to.

#885 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,886 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 11:11 AM

Levacius: I think the amount of meta-knowledge we got was pretty good. If he got rid of the amount of stuff you want everybody would spend the first six months of the game bumbling around wondering what in the world is going on. Not every game needs to be a mystery.

The main issue is that there's better ways to present that information. Tying it into the main body of the RPG, in a way which doesn't break the flow, is essential. If your opening paragraph handwaves canon events, they're dead and gone, and you can now expand your RPG.

The Shadows are not murderous. They only want to bring the Lost back to Vezonland, which, from my perspective, is completely possible within the game in a way that killing them would not be. This is why they are playable: they are not prevented from achieving their goal by plot. That and I thought they would make fun characters to play.

Perhaps, until you take into account that your quirky mini-boss squad is likely to constantly interrupt the plot and keep the Lost from accomplishing their primary objective. Plus, when you have player battles on the scale of what you're describing, it's quite likely to last for a very long time.

Everyone who went through the archway got their wish, and then everybody was pulled back to Vezonland. Everybody get screwed over, no matter how early or late they used the archway.

In that case, I retract that argument. Apologies.

If I were to remove from the game everything that the characters won't know or be sure of from the start, I would not have much of a game left, and that game wouldn not be representative of what would be RPed. It would be like if, in Trapped in a Map, our characters had escaped the map after two weeks and then spent the rest of the three months playing a massive alkilini tournament. It would be lying to the people who signed up to play the game about what they would be playing.

To keep with the TiaM analogy (since that is a recent game that both of us played and liked) I'm not greatly worried about people using the information presented here when making their characters. In that game, we knew from the beginning of the game, though our characters didn't, that there really was a way out of the Map, and it would be discovered soon. So we made characters to take advantage of those facts, giving them means and motivation to take advantage. Your faction of Inquisitors was a response to the OOC knowledge that there would be conflict between the Worshippers and the Disruptors.

There's a way out, and based on your description of the Shadows, a way back. NPCs, maybe even PCs (perhaps you could allow one or two players to make a PC with this experience, to keep them from wandering through Vezonland too long?), could have escaped from Vezonland beforehand, and brought back information about the Multiverse. That provides a way to explain things without meta-knowledge. And as I suggested, it's better to keep "Multiverse" as an overall "Settings" category, with "Vezonland" being the only one described thus far.

These were not bad things to do. We weren't giving characters extra knowledge or having them act out of character. We were just making characters who were suited to the world of the game and would be able to interact strongly with the story. There is nothing wrong with this, in my view. If people want to make characters who would be equipped (in terms of personality and backstory) to deal with interdimensional journeying and play them, that's fine. It's the same as wanting to play a detective character in a mystery RPG - playing characters appropriate to the setting.

If things cross in actual metagaming where characters know things they shouldn't, I can deal with that as it comes up. I'm going to trust players not to do that, and since the characters will be finding out a lot fairly quickly, hope that they won't feel the need to.

You must realize there is a major difference between a mystery RPG and an RPG which has mystery. Every story needs to have unknowns. They need not even be hard to guess ones. Further, any information which does not enrich the story serves no purpose, and should be removed. In this case, the socio-economic conditions of Spherus Magna are more relevant to the story than how Spirit's Wish was created; one is a driving factor for characters to flee their old lives, the other has no effect on the plot, save for explaining why we have one. And frankly, that doesn't matter.

To continue using Trapped in a Map- do we ever learn how the Map was made? Or why? There's a lot never said, because it doesn't need to be said. It doesn't affect the characters in any way. How the Carver acquired the Map is known, because the one who sold it to him is in the Map; the only thing which is given from the start is the Mask of Namevision, which I used as a character motivation because, hey, why not? The difference there, of course, being that the Carver and his equipment could at least be hinted at; there's no way to determine how the Wish was created.

Some things don't need to be known. Some questions don't need answers.

#886 Offline Tiragath

Tiragath
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Defeated

• 3,509 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 02:50 PM

I haven't browsed here for a while, I have a question in-line with the "what is in vogue" question phrased a page or so back.

That being; are RPGs nowadays typically in their own canon, or are more based on offshoots of the main bionicle canon? Last time I frequented here we had a lot of RPGs that were either in completely original worlds or were, at most, tenuously connected to the actual canon. Especially along the lines of species creation, I read a lot more nowadays about controlling the amount of characters that are Toas, from the dark hunters, etc.

Also, it sure seems the "there are 6-12 kanohi/artifacts spread out, here are some riddles, go find them!" setup isn't too popular nowadays >_>

#887 Offline Parks and Rekt

Parks and Rekt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • BZPRPG Staff and OTC RPG Judge

• 11,358 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 02:57 PM

Also, it sure seems the "there are 6-12 kanohi/artifacts spread out, here are some riddles, go find them!" setup isn't too popular nowadays >_>

I would still approve a game like this so fast

-Tyler

PROUD CO-CAPTAIN OF TEAM DASTANA

"What's ours is theirs - but it is ours."

LIBERATION OR DEATH

#888 Offline Uncle Chael P. Sonnen

Uncle Chael P. Sonnen
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior

• 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 02:59 PM

Treasure hunt RPG?

dick yeah i'd play that

"The man with the best arms, the man with best charms, and the man who's gonna do a lotta harm..."

Don't Mess with

A Gangster

--The Undefeated, and Undisputed.

#889 Offline Toa Levacius Zehvor

Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Members
  • Poison Healed

• 6,886 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 08:02 PM

That being; are RPGs nowadays typically in their own canon, or are more based on offshoots of the main bionicle canon? Last time I frequented here we had a lot of RPGs that were either in completely original worlds or were, at most, tenuously connected to the actual canon. Especially along the lines of species creation, I read a lot more nowadays about controlling the amount of characters that are Toas, from the dark hunters, etc.

The rule of the day is "alternate universes" with generally only a few (usually big) changes. Other RPGs are actually set up so as to fall into and further expand weak points in canon story, especially with regards to historical events. Those set in the future, either closely or distantly, also pop up. Ones in completely distinct universes are incredibly rare (Masquerade is the closest to one of these I can think up).

There's always no-brainer exceptions, such as allowing males and females of any given element (######, this last contest, I think I counted at least three normal and one Tumblr gender). I'd add on that, over the last few years, reproduction by MU inhabitants is common practice (usually not in-game, though I've seen a few amusing time-skips). In general, expect GMs to allowed much more "human" portrayals

With regards to species, it's hard to say. Toa are pretty common place, though.

Sounds good to me. The thing is, GMs seem intent on writing RPGs without a set ending, despite the fact that RPGs inevitably collapse over time. Having an end goal to achieve, with the actual intent of it being completed, sounds brilliant to me.

Now...

Well, while I wait for more feedback from the first RPG, i'll try again....

Don't think I forgot about this. :P

Eternal war: Doomsday

Now, before you go hatin' this one too, let me explain:

Eternal war involves a completely different storyline, but revolves around the same time zone. There will be a lot of similar elements involved, but it's not the same.

Here we go again:

It's not about hating, so much as pointing out weaknesses which need remedy.

This game revolves around the largest city ever constructed, even bigger than Metru nui. The city is known as Spherus nui, and is the main target of most of the remaining major forces on the planet. Despised by the order, and hated by the hunters, this city is filled  to the brim with Defenses, Weaponry, Energy supplies, and Hidden threats. Not to reveal too much data on this, but there is a completely new villain in this storyline, so don't expect to see Teridax any time soon(sob).

The entire city is lead by the Turaga council, and really controlled by Turaga Kihohiki. He is a stern, hot-headed intelligent Turaga who is famed for being the most powerful sound Toa history ever recorded. Even though his power is lowered, he is still strong enough to create near-inpenetrable sound shields of any size. He is the only one who knows what real threats exist against the city, and which ones are the most dangerous.

Now, the layout of the city is almost entirely accessible. You have the entire city's border, protected by a strong energy field created by generators inside the city. Then there is the Industrial District, in which the most massive amounts of steel are produced. The public area consists of all homes, parks, the well*, and much more. And the city center has the skyscrapers, all other businesses, the City shieldscraper(the tallest building in the city), and a little bit more. The one unprotected building in the city lies just on the outskirts of the energy field, which is the Ridicculum estate. It is by far the fanciest building in the entire city, and is one of the most important story-wise. Characters that enter the story start on the Outskirts, and can re-enter them to visit the Mountain, but it is very dangerous venturing so far, with ambushes that could occur, and possibly being stuck out until attacks on the city have temporarily ended.

I assume this is the idea proposal more than the write-up? In that case, I'll ignore the mechanics and focus more on the concepts.

First, if this city is so large, why do the two most powerful covert organizations hate it? Especially when those two organizations just happen to be the only ones with experience in things like toppling governments and controlling things from behind the scenes. And how exactly did it come to be?

Second, there's the issue of your incredibly powerful NPC hero, who you've devoted an entire paragraph towards. When discussing authority figures, it's important that you focus on the stories about them, and avoid giving objective levels of power. Especially ridiculous ones like yours has been given. In doing this, you approach dangerously close to Mary Sue territory.

Third, why is there a "fancy" building outside of the energy fields?

Fourth, and most important, is a note on how you've been presenting these RPGs. No offense, but I can picture you like a person holding a bunch of burning potatoes in your hands, bouncing them about and frequently just letting them out, instead of trying to set them down to the side nicely and taking them one by one. The burning potatoes, in this case, are pieces of your story, which you throw out constantly. Don't say who the bad guy is/isn't. Don't tell about what happens to players when they try something (giving rumors is fine). Don't tell how a place is "plot-important".

Tell us more about your setting. About the backstory behind it, from the characters points of view. That sort of thing.

With regards to your characters, I can't exactly say I'm impressed.

Now, the story characters. All we get here is brief depictions of one-dimensional characters, most of whom will be of no interest to the players. To determine the number of NPCs you need, just use the simple formula N=(1F)+(1S) where F is the number of factions and S is the number of story threads beyond. On average? Three. Too many more is a mess, unless you have a very good reason. And none of these have a good reason. Especially your "hints" at villains, which leaves me wondering why you did it.

As I mentioned last time, this species list is useless. But that's not my biggest concern - no, that's this line -

Something I think may be overpowered I will consult with the appropriate BZP staff to see what it is. No faking.

This is your RPG. You wrote it, you control it. The only people who matter are you and your players, who are agreeing to play your RPG in return for hoping you have an interesting story to offer them out of it. You decided what's overpowered, and you alone. If you have people acting as mods or co-staffing with you, you may also allow them that privilege.

I realize I may have been a bit critical, so I'll offer this - keep working at it. Your ideas aren't all bad, and while the execution at the moment is novice at best, it's still something which can be changed. That's what this topic is for; so we (older players/GMs) can offer our advice. There's not a single former or current GM posting on this topic who hasn't had their disappointments; an RPG rejected, failure at the voting booth, criticisms made, failures to keep an RPG going, etc. Heck, I've yet to write a "perfect" RPG, and at this point I certainly never will. So the "hating" you're going to deal with now will continue as long as you try writing RPGs, but it's not out of malice. It's a matter of wanting what's best.

[/inspiration]

#890 Online The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,215 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 08:35 PM

The "go get the artifacts" thing happened in City of Legends in late 2013-early 2014 with the Geat Disks / Nui Stone fragments. It is not too common, but certainly not forgotten.

As for the canonicity of games, here is a brief summary of the entries in the last four contests. The ones in red were winners.

Parallel - Toa Levacius Zehvor - A not very canon story of Brotherhood servants who had traveled back in time to make sure that the Plan would succeed.
Outbreak - Canis Lycaon - A possible near-future of Spherus Magna, so canon issues are addressed but not crucial. Non-canon location.
Midnight City - Gravity - A Spherus Magna so far into the future that just about everything canon has been forgotten.
City in the Dark - The Lorax - Set in a non-canon location filling a gap in the Nui Stone's history, between its making and its coming to Tuyet. Either canon or alternate universe, depending on how things finish up.
Ultimate City of Ultimate Destiny - Fabulous Sunshine - Very set apart from canon. Set in its own world as an amalgamation of several others.
A Journey of Sand, Stars, and Spirit - JustZakaro - A possible medium-future of Spherus Magna, importance of canon not yet known as it is still being played.

Spirits of the Ice - The Otter - A non-canon story in a non-canon location. No canon characters were involved.
Sanctuary - Toatapio Nuva - A far-future of Spherus Magna. Canon is unimportant.
The Bubble - Ehks - A non-canon story in a non-canon location. No canon characters were involved.
Gangs of Metru Nui - .saorsa - A game set in an alternate future of Metru Nui. Some ties to canon.
Outbreak - Canis Lycaon - A possible near-future of Spherus Magna, so canon issues are addressed but not crucial. Non-canon location.
Sky/Fall - MjolnirInTheFridge - A far-future of Spherus Magna. Canon is unimportant.
Condemned - Shadowhawk - A far-future of Spherus Magna. Canon is unimportant.
Fallen from the Light - ZakarOh! - Possibly far-future of Spherus Magna? Canon is unimportant.
The Web - The Lorax - A game following the untold but canon story of the creation of the Visorak horde and its invasion of Tobduk's homeland.
The Legend of the Thirteenth Island - More Fierce Than Fire - A semi-canon history of the Southern Islands.
City of the Lost - Oryx - Difficult to say. Possibly an alternate Mahri Nui?
Maelstrom - Rhaegar Targaryen - An alternate future of the MU, set in Metru Nui.

The Bubble - The X - Non-canon location, story and characters.
Predicaments - Commander Obvious - Alternate future set on Metru Nui.
City of Legends - The Lorax - An alternate history of the Toa/Dark Hunter War on Metru Nui. Setup is almost entirely like canon, tough the outcome is not.
Disruption - Canis Lycaon - An alternate history of the Matoran Civil War on Metru Nui. Mostly like canon.
Marathon - Wazdakka - Far future of Spherus Magna. Not much canon involved.
The Legend of the Thirteenth Island - Lord of Adders Black - A semi-canon history of the Southern Islands.
Spirits of the Mist - Zakar0 - Possible future of Spherus Magna in a non-canon city.
Petty Little Conflicts - Mr. House - Alternate future of the MU. Creates its own canon.
The Arsenal of the Ancients - The Fourteenth - Set in a custom location on Pre-MU Spherus Magna. Canon largely irrelevant.
Era - Gravity - Far history of Spherus Magna. Canon largely irrelevant.
Masquerade - Parugi - Everything is custom.

City in the Dark - The Lorax - Set in a non-canon location filling a gap in the Nui Stone's history, between its making and its coming to Tuyet. Either canon or alternate universe, depending on how things finish up.
The Voyage of the Requiem IV - Toa Levacius Zehvor - Medium-future of Spherus Magna. Very little canon involved.
Tides - Legolover-361 - Possible future of Spherus Magna. Little canon involved.
City of the Dead - Grantaire - Alternate history of the Makuta/Dark Hunter war. Set on Metru Nui. Reasonably canon, with a few plot-enabling differences.
Disruption - Canis Lupus - An alternate history of the Matoran Civil War on Metru Nui. Mostly like canon.
Trapped in a Map - Toa Kovolta - Custom location, story and characters, set not long before the Great Cataclysm. Not much canon involved.
The Legend of the Thirteenth Island - Lord of Adders Black - A semi-canon history of the Southern Islands.
Reborn in Red - ZakarOMEGA'D! - Set on the Red Star, incorporating everything in canon known about that place, which isn't much, so mostly its own thing.
SKY/FALL - MjolnirInTheFridge - A far-future of Spherus Magna. Canon is unimportant.
The Trial of Nations - Shuhei Hisagi - Post-canon Spherus Magna, canon not relevant.
Sunken Cities - The Fourteenth Doctor - Alternate history of the MU. Canon ignored.

OK, so now after doing that and seeing Levacius's post, the trend seems to be for post-canon stories where canon can be used or not, depending on the writer's preference, or altered re-runs of canon events. The third major category would be BIONICLE-style settings, like islands with Toa and Matoran or Metru Nui-like cities.

The thing is, GMs seem intent on writing RPGs without a set ending, despite the fact that RPGs inevitably collapse over time. Having an end goal to achieve, with the actual intent of it being completed, sounds brilliant to me.

Done and done, at least as far as all of my games have been concerned. True, there is a lots of flexibility in there and multiple paths that the ending could take, but they have all been thought out. Moving aimlessly through a story without any idea where it might be going seems like a great way to go nowhere, but neither would anyone want to railroad players through a plot that they couldn't influence at all. The middle ground, in my opinion, is a multi-ending scenario where the GM knows the different paths a story could take, but lets players' actions decide which one actually sees the light of day. I don't wish to seem prideful, but perhaps this is one reason why I have a 100% record for my games not dying?

Edited by The Lorax, Sep 14 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#891 Offline ghidora131

ghidora131
  • Members
  • Toa

• 178 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 14 2014 - 10:15 PM

OK, someone remembered the RPG I was doing. I'd better address that.

I have noticed that, throughout BIONICLE history, any large city that has something to do with Toa is a target for an opposing major force. I know that was for the sake of convenience, so that Toa cold be involved somehow, but it happened. The main reason for the main character(if it is Kihohiki you refer to) is to present the idea of there being this incredibly massive city, with a powerful, intelligent and preparing ex-Toa guarding it and controlling it, and(I hate to reveal this early, but it seems I have to) the city is quite heavily guarded anyway, with weaponry so powerful, I can't talk about it yet. But, to ensure that this city doesn't become an impenetrable fortress, it has become a top priority to have many Toa in the city, to make them do most of the actual fighting. This Turaga, being as smart as he is, made his political system as small and secure as could possibly be, dwindling down to a few Turaga and himself, who each look out for any intercepted messages, possible leaked information, etc. And, just in case people belive Kihohiki is too strong, I have made him a Turaga, allowing me to make(no offence to any persons whatsoever) the worst stereotypically elderly things happen at the worst time, allowing him to be defeated, beaten, etc, but only by pre-made characters critical to the story.

And the fancy house? This is Rinozz we're talking about, and he has an ego bigger than mount Everest. He believes that he, and his household, are invincible just because they are super strong, even though they have been beaten up before, and that house has been wrecked several times.

My presentation of the RPG is terrible, I admit, but I've never done this before.

Why, do you ask, am I not writing this from character perspective, for a more interesting story? That description is for in front of the judges, who I presume will see this posted somewhere else. If It is that the entry I placed here is the final one, I will immediately fix that.

Also, on the NPCs: they are flat and one-dimensional so they will leave more available space to fill by the playable characters

For your final critique, I say this:that was posted right after I listed the sentence on kanohi. I don't know much on the Kanohi, and if there's something I don't understand, i'll consult BZP officials.

And to sum it all up, thank you. If there is any way I can make this better, i'll take it.

#892 Offline Mr. House

Mr. House
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,940 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:15 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone think a kind of Grand-Strategy like RPG could work? Where players could get entire nations and duke it out for dominance?

"But autocracy? Firm control in the hands of a technological and economic visionary? Yes, that Vegas shall have." -Robert House

BZPRPG 2014 Profiles

Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Junyaus-Larikon Torchbearer-Jorruk YokinMons Shajs-Senavysh Angavur-Vulunos-Shivada-Sukot urn Voyuk-Arvun-Iolatra-Mahane

The Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an- Want zombies? Want to play a religiously fanatical maniac? Well if so, join the BZPRPG's premier cult!

Want a clan of horse-riding Bio-Nomads? PM me to get your Taajar clan approved!  

#893 Online Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Spirit of Stone

• 18,622 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:21 PM

Really depends on how it's implemented.

It might be fun to try something like that.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#894 Offline Silvan Haven

Silvan Haven
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,102 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:22 PM

So far that has been somewhat hard to pull off properly as a BRPG. There have been a few in OTC though.

I know I would like to see another one around here. It has been some time since the last game like that was ran.

Edited by Silvan Haven, Sep 15 2014 - 11:23 PM.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

#895 Online Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Spirit of Stone

• 18,622 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:24 PM

Didn't Lloyd have his Cradle of Civilisation thing?

#896 Offline Mr. House

Mr. House
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,940 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm thinking trying to redo an old concept I had, Winds of Change. It's messed up, but I posted it earlier.

Vast, continental warfare. It's been something I've always wanted to do. Something beyond Cradle of Civilization in scope.

"But autocracy? Firm control in the hands of a technological and economic visionary? Yes, that Vegas shall have." -Robert House

BZPRPG 2014 Profiles

Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Junyaus-Larikon Torchbearer-Jorruk YokinMons Shajs-Senavysh Angavur-Vulunos-Shivada-Sukot urn Voyuk-Arvun-Iolatra-Mahane

The Brotherhood of Ak'rei'an- Want zombies? Want to play a religiously fanatical maniac? Well if so, join the BZPRPG's premier cult!

#897 Offline Silvan Haven

Silvan Haven
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,102 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:34 PM

I can only think of one or two games of that type that were done, or at least got through. One of them was Lloyd's game.

House: Why don't you post it again so we can all look over it?

#898 Offline ghidora131

ghidora131
  • Members
  • Toa

• 178 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:40 PM

A brilliant idea. I completely forgot what that was even like, and I'd love to see it again.

#899 Online Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Spirit of Stone

• 18,622 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 15 2014 - 11:43 PM

Seconded. I would like to see your concept.

#900 Offline Mr. House

Mr. House
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,940 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 16 2014 - 02:54 PM

It'll be a little while, I'll have to make a newer, cleaner, and modernized concept. Here's the first, squashed, version. I posted in 2012. By far, it was much more streamlined then my other attempt at such a game. One unfortunately lost in the Little Dataclysm, set in the past with time travel and Barraki.

Edited by Mr. House, Sep 16 2014 - 02:55 PM.

BZPRPG 2014 Profiles

#901 Offline Norik Of Celtania

Norik Of Celtania
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 2,395 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 17 2014 - 01:12 AM

Quick question for Mr. House.

So Teridax instead of waiting to enact his "slip into Mata Nui's body and take over Universe" plan, he decided for a normal ground war?

MTG Dual Colour

http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=547065 My BZPRPG Character Profiles

#902 Online The Lorax

The Lorax
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,215 posts
  •  

Posted Sep 17 2014 - 02:01 AM

I'm not house, but having read it, this is how I think it goes.

He didn't abandon that plan, he just never thought of it. The goal of his machinations during the Metru Nui arc was to awaken the memory-wiped Matoran as their leader so that they would all worship him and Mata Nui would be out of the picture. He only came up with the greater, body-possessing plan after that failed.

In the universe of this game, he instead decided for a war to dominate the universe, presumably while he came up with some other way to get what he really wanted.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users