The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

That was pretty much the idea behind what I wanted to do with the RPG idea...and it's really starting sounds like a really glorified survival and game crossover RPG...

Yep.

I think the whole real-world plot aspects aren't necessarily suited for this subforum? But maybe that's just me, perhaps I haven't been around here long enough to get a feel for it.

Edited by Chro
  • Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

There are no exact rules about it that I know of, but anything with humans in it tends not to fare that well here.

Aliens a fine, they are out there enough that people can see them in a factional setting. Humans on the other hand tend to mean that the setting is on earth, which is a little too close to home for some people and breaks the immersion.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I tend to look at crossovers as a "what if" sort of thing. Two very different worlds coming together, seeing how they interact and how they change the stories being told.

Even with your comic series, Minecraft just lacks enough of a world to play a proper TBRPG in.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Can we just stop talking about whether my idea can work now? You all have already proven to me multiple times that it wouldn't work so now I've stopped. This is now turning into shameless advertisement by now. So stop. Pretend I've never suggested it. :)

I might as well use the plot and stuffs for my next season.

Can we just stop talking about whether my idea can work now? You all have already proven to me multiple times that it wouldn't work so now I've stopped. This is now turning into shameless advertisement by now. So stop. Pretend I've never suggested it. :)

That is the point of this topic. :P

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

There are no exact rules about it that I know of, but anything with humans in it tends not to fare that well here.

Aliens a fine, they are out there enough that people can see them in a factional setting. Humans on the other hand tend to mean that the setting is on earth, which is a little too close to home for some people and breaks the immersion.

To put it rather simply: The first time I saw an RPG get devastated in the polls for reasons other than plain bad writing, was the inclusion of humans.

It was something like "humans come to Mata-Nui and reproduce with Toa, and the players are all half-Toa babies". I think it was some sort of Percy Jackson thing? Anyways, the reviews were hilarious; the polls less so.

Yeah. But the more we talk about, the more my comic series are advertised, so stop. :P

READ MY COMICS!

You shouldn't take critique as a reason to leave. Instead, take it as a reason to try something different. So what if your comic series doesn't translate? You can always try to write a new story. One more overall inclusive.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

• Upvote 3

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Oh, please. How would bioformers work? It would be an alternate transformers timeline with a cybertron styled mata nui...

On second thought... :evilgrin:

I believe Metru Nui would fit much more better for a setting.

The GSR revelation is awfully similar to how Cybertron was actually Primus.

So would it make for a potential RPG?

Speaking of crossover, how about Shin Megami Tensei (Possibly Persona or Strange Journey) meets a city like Metru Nui?

That's incredibly vague. How do you want to involve the MegaTen franchise with Metru Nui? I mean I can get giving folks Personae (despite them being pretty redundant), but throwing out the name of a game set in Antarctica doesn't really help.

I was thinking another GC-centric alt timeline wherein a sort of demon infestation... well... infests the city, and the Matoran learning how to use the demon's powers to summon either demons themselves or perhaps something akin to Persona.

As crossing with Strange Journey, I was thinking that Metru Nui gets sucked into the Schwarzwelt with each Metru representing one of the vices of the Matoran.  

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

The thing about Shin Megami Tensei and what not that makes it hard to cross over with BIONICLE is that it's so ... very ... human.

So much of the franchise hinges on humans and human culture and mythology. What demons would a Matoran summon? I mean a Skakdi would suffer lots and lots of Irnakks, but a Matoran doesn't have much connection to things like Jack Frost and the like. Why are they in the Schwarzwelt? Why are they being punished? Is Heaven getting involved?

• Upvote 1

If Metru Nui got invaded by demons or whatever, would they even need to learn how to use their own versions?

I mean, just look at some of the stuff they can do all by themselves. A reconstitute at random disk or a combat oriented Vahki would really mess up any interdimensional invader's day.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I could see the Transformers idea working if it was done really well. Maybe a Toa finds a T-cog and everything escalates.

Or the All-Spark lands on the Bionicle Universe and another war like the Protodermis War thing breaks out over the power of the All-Spark.

Edited by ArcticFreeze17

If Mata Nui absorbed the All-Spark, it would probably be sent to the Core. You know, the giant power station that's pretty much made for that kind of thing.

@Krayzikk: We already have three or four normal RPGs through, or going through judging. I think we have some room for something a little different.

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

So did everyone forget about that Roborider/Throwbot/Bionicle Tron-esque crossover thing? I personally think that would be pretty cool.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

If Mata Nui absorbed the All-Spark, it would probably be sent to the Core. You know, the giant power station that's pretty much made for that kind of thing.

True....but then how would the different races get access to the power to transform...

Edited by ArcticFreeze17

@Krayzikk: We already have three or four normal RPGs through, or going through judging. I think we have some room for something a little different.

I'll have to disagree. Not all players like crossovers, and creating them alienates people who just want to play Bionicle RPGs, as well as many fans from the source material. Note that Alien vs. Predator has a much smaller fanbase than either of the original films.

Plus, crossovers more often than not lead to grabbing at and fusing the origins, rather than creating new source material. The point of BRPG is to create original content within the Bionicle IP, and as it stands, I'm not seeing anything original coming out of the crossovers. The Half-Life one came close, but of course had conflicts as well.

Take transformers: We've seen the Allspark being fought over plenty of times. We've seen wars in Bionicle. What are you doing that's new? Blending the two isn't new, it's just different. But different does not equate to good. Mind you, original and new don't either, but at least they have substance.

Before ending the post, food for thought to those looking at cross-overs: There's a reason "inspiration" is a word. You can take inspiration from something and use it to create an RPG, without actually crossing over the IP's.

And, of course, a cross-over could be done well. But if every comment in the planning topic is about them? Bad news.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

• Upvote 2

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Just having a well-written crossover can work fantastically. Again I call upon the memory of The Gate. You can't see it now, but that was an RPG that incorporated crossover ideas very well.

Does it have to be really well done? Yes. Could it be awesome? Yes.

Also, AvP was still really popular, even if it wasn't as big.

And, it's mostly filler ideas until something else comes along. I seriously doubt most of these ideas will ever even have a first draft.

Edited by Toa of Dancing

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

There's a difference between "little different" and "I have to go back eleven pages to find something that isn't either a crossover or a reimagning of a project from another forum as an RPG". That's actually how far you have to go, by the way, to find something that's completely original. Page 32 is when Asylum was posted and discussed, and everything (save a one post here or there) has been about Bionifght (a redesign of something from Games as something for BRPG) or crossovers.

The inherent problem with crossovers is something Lev touched on; they don't do anything new. The plots don't benefit from it, and in ninety nine percent of all crossovers ever created the sole purpose of them is "Hey, what if we had Optimus Prime in Bionicle?" Substituting, of course, character x and franchise y.

Can they work? Sure. But doing so is exceptionally rare, and the very prospect of a crossover is something that won't get by the Judges easily. Both because they seriously strain what constitutes a Bionicle RPG, and because for many of these ideas I would have serious concerns about their ability to survive. And this is before we consider how few of these franchises being suggested actually mix. Persona and Bionicle? Digimon and Bionicle? Transformers and Bionicle at least have some common elements, but the idea is still sketchy.

To borrow something said by someone very wise on the subject of crossovers, being a fan of franchise one and of franchise two does not mean that franchises one and two could ever, or should ever, fit together. 

Especially when franchise one alone already has a vast array of concepts to be explored and created.

• Upvote 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG