The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

The only times you would do something like that is if you had abruptly decided to change the character, which I have never really seen done. Or were just doing it to somehow be a troll.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

The character section of the profile is to help other players interact with your PC. Its not there to tell the player how to use their own creation.

Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Why would other players need to know your characters personality, unless they were looking for meta-game knowledge? The characters personality, for them, should be based upon dialogue; not based upon the profile. The profile is there for you, the player. You design your character; you decide who they will be, and what they can do. And once more, role-playing.

In any case, where do you read "tell the player how to use their own creation?" You are the one who wrote it. Other people are not telling you how to play your character; you are the one who is doing the telling! Over the course of the game, your character is meant to adapt and change dynamically; thankfully, this forum supports post editing.

Unless you're suggesting players are incapable of playing the very characters they wrote, I don't see how it's a problem.

Maybe he's just a sadist, kicking is his love.

How did you get my e-mail address?

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Why would the players themselves need the personality section, they already have that information in their head.

Pretty much everything in the profile is so that other players know what they are getting into when dealing with your character, in addition to helping you to keep track of them.

In any case, where do you read "tell the player how to use their own creation?

However, the idea I propose offers a solution to it; instead of acting out of character, they were simply acting in-character for the Makuta possessing them, representing loss of control.

May be they just snapped, a harsh day after a hard week at the end of a hard month finishing up a difficult year. Striking out at the nearest thing to them, which just so happened to be an animal.

The point is that its not the job of the GM to keep an eye on everyone's characters and make sure they all fit into this nice little style of roleplaying. If somebody wants to change how their character thinks, than that is their decision.

Besides, I don't think I have ever seen anybody act that out of character before.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

You'd be surprised. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Does the name Vaalku ring any bells?

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I wasn't going to name names, but yes, that was the first one that came to mind. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

So the list has gone from zero all the way up to one. Its still not the GM's job to deal with that.

Although now I have to wonder what he did that got the character labeled as 100% acting out of character and not just played badly.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

We've already got one pinned topic that derails into one-on-one convos far too often; let's please not make it two.

Generally, I agree with Silv here; while the idea of using personality shifts as a way to indicate how much influence a Makuta's exerting is a neat one, trying to quantify that or have GMs determine what is and isn't "out of character" as part of parceling out powers and Makuta-corruption seems like a great way to spark really large, circular debates about what someone's character is "supposed" to be, and could undermine someone's longer-term plans for a character's development.

• Upvote 5

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Please bring the discussion back to an RPG idea or something.

Edit: And I seem to have been ninjad.

Edited by Silvan Haven

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

This sounds like a conversation you two should be having via PM, not here.

EDIT: Double ninja'd. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

We've already got one pinned topic that derails into one-on-one convos far too often; let's please not make it two.

Generally, I agree with Silv here; while the idea of using personality shifts as a way to indicate how much influence a Makuta's exerting is a neat one, trying to quantify that or have GMs determine what is and isn't "out of character" as part of parceling out powers and Makuta-corruption seems like a great way to spark really large, circular debates about what someone's character is "supposed" to be, and could undermine someone's longer-term plans for a character's development.

No doubt, a larger staff would be helpful, to pay attention. Though further notes, further down in this post.

The biggest ruling would, of course, be a simple guideline for the GM not to take action unless an action was clearly outside the norm, and to do so with full authority (no arguments) when doing so.

Why would the players themselves need the personality section, they already have that information in their head.

Because sometimes, when your mind is stocked with seventy or so characters from dozens of RPGs, and your only chance to post is late at night when your eyelids are collapsing, a quick reference for consistency isn't entirely out of the question. Further, having the personality section present allows the GM to be sure that a character isn't going to be a disruption; if an RPG about role-playing in a police department spawns a character whose personality is "unorganized, disruptive, and loves explosions", then perhaps that character shouldn't be allowed to start the game with the rank of detective.

May be they just snapped, a harsh day after a hard week at the end of a hard month finishing up a difficult year. Striking out at the nearest thing to them, which just so happened to be an animal.

The point is that its not the job of the GM to keep an eye on everyone's characters and make sure they all fit into this nice little style of roleplaying. If somebody wants to change how their character thinks, than that is their decision.

Silvan, you seem to be confusing the point of the conversation. It's not about prohibiting changes to characters; it's about preventing blatant, disruptive shifts, while at the same time encouraging changes, as part of the plot. That is to say, trying something new: instead of character development happening separately from the main body, it becomes the main focus. And it has the potential to work out extremely well, especially with mature players who are actually willing to role-play, instead of just reacting to things happening.

To prevent the circular logic GSR mentioned from inevitably coming up, I'll just ask this (seeing as I'm haven't actively played in some time) - Is the average player on the BRPG forum both competent enough to write a developing character, and mature enough to take advice on doing so? Or is that no longer the case?

It's a non-issue anyways.

"How IC you are" is an absurd metric to go by.

I don't believe it was ever a metric to be utilized, either.

Compare: Han Solo at the start of A New Hope wouldn't have returned at the end. However, the events of the film lead to him making the decision to turn around at the very end; character development. However, sending the co-ordinates and information about the plan to the Empire, and turning around to help them by targeting Rebel ships? That would have run directly counter to every prior action, and all established traits. There are no percentages or measures; it's simply a measure of paying attention.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Part two of this statement, which I'd hoped was implicit: we've already got one pinned topic that veers too close to spam far too often; let's please not make it two.

Off-topic posts have been zapped; save the one-liners and randomness for casual chat, folks.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Hello, world.

Krakas Nui.

You want the tale of Krakas Nui? Very well, you shall have it. 

Krakas Nui is one of the largest islands in the world, supposedly eclipsing even the fabled Metru Nui. Across the world, people came to trade and bargain at Krakas. Metru Nui may be indispensable, but Krakas had everything that Metru Nui can't offer. Powerful weapons and masks, beautiful stonework, ingenious craftsmatoranwork, you name it and Krakas can offer it to you. Even the Dark Hunters had a peace treaty on that island due to what it could offer. It was ran by a Makuta, can't remember his name but he was a fairly decent sort. 

That is, until the Quake. What was the Quake? No being alive knows except those poor souls who remain in Krakas, but when it struck Krakas was changed forever.

Overnight, Krakas was devastated. All its works were destroyed, its Matoran either dead or worse. There was something in the water, something that warped and twisted the Matoran so they were barely recognisable. Some say it was an experiment by the Brotherhood, others whisper that it was a judgement from Mata Nui himself, and others still whisper that it was a sign of the Great Beings, coming back to create more terrible wonders. What do I think? I am but the Chronicler of Krakas, here to tell of its wonders. 

The city-island, last I saw of it, was beautiful in its destruction. Once-mighty buildings have been brought low by the Quake, covered in moss. It is a jungle in there- Rahi have come to claim the city as their own territory. 

All I can say for sure is that the wealth of Krakas remains in that place. Its weapons, armour, disks, masks... there is rumoured to be a vault that the Makuta constructed, filled with the choicest treasures, the best craftsmatoranship. Such a room must by kio long and wide, for the wealth of beauty of Krakas is incredible. 

Dare you seek the wealth of Krakas? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krakas Nui is a setting detailing a ruined island after the Quake. The Quake was a devastating event that caused widespread destruction, as well as mutating the beings on Krakas itself. Its vast wealth is renowned, and its weapons and armour are desired. Its tale is told by the Chronicler of Krakas, a Ko-Matoran who has somehow avoided being mutated by the water.

Players can be Matoran, seeking their friends or simply the vast wealth; alternatively, they could be mutated Matoran who live in the ruined city, scavenging what they can to make a living. Or they can be Toa, determined to fight evil and also to defend the Matoran. Or you could play Skakdi and Vortixx, motivated by mercenary means and also, possibly, with a connection to the Dark Hunters. 

Areas: 

The Ruined Forges:

Here, the Ta-matoran worked with the Fe-matoran and Su-Matoran to create wonders of weaponry and masks of great quality. Now, the Forges overflow with molten protodermis. Little water exists here, and this may be the safest place on the whole island. Few Rahi come here, and the craftsmatoran are probably still there. But with the molten protodermis still flowing and no way to check it, I would advise you watch your step.

The Jungle: 

Once, this was an orderly park, where Matoran of all kinds could collect and gather their thoughts. Now, it is a wild, untamed jungle. Strange Rahi cavort through here, mutated by the water. And in the trees, those unfortunate Le- and Bo- Matoran that survived now live, mad from isolation and their mutation. Some still tend to the Jungle in their own way- some paths have been loosely hewn out of the undergrowth. But the water that permeates this place makes travelling there without some way of ignoring the water risky.

The Ruined Desert: 

Great stone monoliths litter the desert here. Like the Forges, no water is here. But that will not help you, for the soil itself seems hungry. Sometimes, I could swear it'll take a bite out of anybody who tries to go to certain places. And one must beware of the constant threat of Nui-Jaga, as well as those few mutated Matoran who make their home here. 

The Flooded University:

This used to be a place of great learning, where the Ko-, Ce and Ga Matoran would meet and discuss the wisdom of the stars and the people. Now, it is flooded with foul water. Great manuscripts, forever lost, lie deep beneath the surface. You could dive for them... but I fear that you would not be the same when you came out. And those mutants who have made their way into this sacred hall of learning may take offence to your diving, and take steps to correct that. 

The Towers of Solitude: 

The De-Matoran and the Ba-Matoran existed here once. Quiet folk, who made elegant technical pieces of equipment that relied on sound and gravity. Most have toppled now, leaning against each other dissolutely. These towers are so thick and yet so elegant, it is a shame to see them in their ruined state. The area around them is surrounded by the foul water that covers most of the streets of this island. Strange flowers grow here. And the De-Matoran will always here you coming, even through that water.

The Dilipidated Stores:

Mercantile Po-Matoran and Onu-Matoran once set up shop here, selling weapons and armour. Now, everything is covered in lichen and mould. Stores have been almost gutted of anything that could be used to survive, and those few shopkeepers who remain have likely gone insane from the isolation. They wield their own weapons against intruders most likely. Be careful- they make and know how to use these weapons, and cannot easily be reasoned with.

The Sunken Mines

My heart aches for those poor Onu-Matoran and Po-Matoran who perished in these mines when the Quake happened. Almost in their entirety are the Mines of Krakas flooded. Those miners may yet survive, but in vastly different form. All I can say is that, those times I have seen the pools from the main mineshaft, I saw something moving in the depths, and I cannot say anything more.

The Palace:

The palace of the Makuta of Krakas stands at the very centre of Krakas. It seems to reach the sky almost. The greatest stonework is seen in its walls. The greatest works the Matoran created were taken here by the Makuta. What he did with it is unclear, but most said that he hoarded it in a great vault. I was the Chronicler, and I only saw a great door, which I was told never to enter. Perhaps his hoard is untouched, but beware- the entire palace is surrounded by the befouled water. Rahi inhabit the corridors, as well as those Exo-Toa- bizarre mechanical beasts created to keep people out. Mata Nui knows how the water has affected their ability to discern friend from foe?

There it is, my contribution.

Sounds cool, but what are teh mutations? What do they do?

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

And would the mutations be a one-shot deal, or can it continuously happen throughout multiple exposures?

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Hmm.

A thriving city, a narrator, and a big earthquake?

Sounds familiar.

Bastion jokes aside, this does sound pretty interesting.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I think we need more in way of a plot. Perhaps you could have different factions vying for control or something? 

I think we need more in way of a plot. Perhaps you could have different factions vying for control or something? 

That's a lot of death.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Why is it called the Quake? Sound more like a flood from the location descriptions.

By the way, don't feel put off by the flood of questions and comments. This is just our way of trying to help you flesh out the RPG.

I might respond to Zehvor's stuff later. I really don't feel like arguing right now and this is more interesting.

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

"Hello, world."

Hello, Ssendam. Let's talk about your RPG.

Krakas Nui is one of the largest islands in the world, supposedly eclipsing even the fabled Metru Nui. Across the world, people came to trade and bargain at Krakas. Metru Nui may be indispensable, but Krakas had everything that Metru Nui can't offer. Powerful weapons and masks, beautiful stonework, ingenious craftsmatoranwork, you name it and Krakas can offer it to you. Even the Dark Hunters had a peace treaty on that island due to what it could offer. It was ran by a Makuta, can't remember his name but he was a fairly decent sort.

This is more of a semantics question, but in what was it it bigger? Metru-Nui isn't a particularly large island on a physical scale, so is the implication of Krakas' size more of a metaphorical one, rather than actual? Or is the island itself also meant to be extraordinarily big. In some ways, this can be a fairly important factors; when the scale of an island becomes too large, it becomes unrealistic for players to come into contact with each other over the distances assumed, because of the huge gaps for size. Keeping the island just slightly bigger than Metru-Nui in size, while maintaining its mythical status, would seem the more prudent option.

I'd also add that the Brotherhood supposedly operates without giving their names; they're simply referred to as such by their status. The lack of knowledge of the Makuta's name thus seems very appropriate, and should be heavily enforced to add to the mystique of the setting.

- THE QUAKE SNIP -

An interesting framing device, to be sure. If we could get a map of the island, though, that would certainly be helpful; considering that the setting itself seems fairly interesting, I'd be willing to help in that aspect. As it stands, we don't have quite as much proof of destruction as could be offered.

- SETTING RULINGS -

To bring up an old spiel of mine - This is not the BZPRPG. Limiting the players options in terms of species and the like is an unnecessary limitation; other than blanket rules like "please don't be a Makuta" and "no, you can't have the Mask of Life" which should be blatantly obvious, there's no sense in having them. I also wouldn't limit the natives to being only Matoran, either; having a few unusually twisted Skakdi crawling about, for instance; or perhaps even a stranger species, like one of the ones the Dark Hunters come from.

We definitely need a story of some time. If I could suggest: Faced with the possibility of profit, some large company (possibly Xian based) decides to fund a treasure hunting expedition, gathering volunteers and sending them to the island. They set-up base camp, and begin the task of exploring; of course, problems immediately begin to arise, and everything just starts to collapse, as various splinter groups begin to form. Players could also opt to be independently funded, and come via their own means; perhaps even as a group. These independent groups wander the island, and post just as big of a threat; however, the natives, who themselves have their own various tribes, are not particularly pleased at the intrusion. Or at least, that's how it appears; only a few xenophobic natives are actually responsible for the killings which begin. Which begs the question: what is behind the killings?

Just dangle some plot threads around.

Locations

These are pretty cool. Could use some work, but we'll wait until further into the process for that.

As is, this is a good start to an RPG. We just need to start seeing the mechanics, rulings, and so forth; but as a proposal, it's pretty sound. We just need to start seeing characters and plot.

EDIT: Oh, and -

I might respond to Zehvor's stuff later. I really don't feel like arguing right now and this is more interesting.

Tsk, third person. I'm not that easy to get rid of. :P

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Upvote 1

There's a typo under the Towers of Solitude. It says "here" instead of "hear," near the end of the paragraph.

We definitely need a story of some time. If I could suggest: Faced with the possibility of profit, some large company (possibly Xian based) decides to fund a treasure hunting expedition, gathering volunteers and sending them to the island. They set-up base camp, and begin the task of exploring; of course, problems immediately begin to arise, and everything just starts to collapse, as various splinter groups begin to form. Players could also opt to be independently funded, and come via their own means; perhaps even as a group.

Its odd, but I'm pretty sure I have seen almost this exact plot in another RPG with a somewhat similar setting.

I was informing the group at large, In general I don't use "you" unless referring to an anonymous reader.

Really though. I genuinely dislike being in arguments. So when I get into several over the course of about three days it tends to drain me.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Its odd, but I'm pretty sure I have seen almost this exact plot in another RPG with a somewhat similar setting.

I'm pretty sure this is the second time within a few months that Dreamland has revisited me. It was a good RPG.

Maybe instead of doing it on purpose, the characters crashed into the island while riding a massive airship to Metru-Nui? Of course, that on it's own wouldn't be enough. We'll need to include some sort of secret organization, a few weird monsters. Maybe even an island teleporter of some kind? And of course, a really great plot twist at the end; something completely out of left field, like everyone being dead or something. That's original, right?

Regardless, it brings up a good point - thinking up something original for the plot.

I was informing the group at large, In general I don't use "you" unless referring to an anonymous reader.

Really though. I genuinely dislike being in arguments. So when I get into several over the course of about three days it tends to drain me.

Shoot, you're living the dream. Just throw in a few political and philosophical debates and it'd be perfect. [/sarcasmnotsarcasm]

I'm pretty sure this is the second time within a few months that Dreamland has revisited me. It was a good RPG.

Maybe instead of doing it on purpose, the characters crashed into the island while riding a massive airship to Metru-Nui? Of course, that on it's own wouldn't be enough. We'll need to include some sort of secret organization, a few weird monsters. Maybe even an island teleporter of some kind? And of course, a really great plot twist at the end; something completely out of left field, like everyone being dead or something. That's original, right?

Well... it's not original anymore. You've spoiled the twist. :P

By posting twist endings for consideration, you are unintentionally spoiling your own idea.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

"Hello, world."

Thanks man, I appreciate this. 

"Hello, world."

This is more of a semantics question, but in what was it it bigger? Metru-Nui isn't a particularly large island on a physical scale, so is the implication of Krakas' size more of a metaphorical one, rather than actual? Or is the island itself also meant to be extraordinarily big. In some ways, this can be a fairly important factors; when the scale of an island becomes too large, it becomes unrealistic for players to come into contact with each other over the distances assumed, because of the huge gaps for size. Keeping the island just slightly bigger than Metru-Nui in size, while maintaining its mythical status, would seem the more prudent option.

I'd also add that the Brotherhood supposedly operates without giving their names; they're simply referred to as such by their status. The lack of knowledge of the Makuta's name thus seems very appropriate, and should be heavily enforced to add to the mystique of the setting.

- THE QUAKE SNIP -

An interesting framing device, to be sure. If we could get a map of the island, though, that would certainly be helpful; considering that the setting itself seems fairly interesting, I'd be willing to help in that aspect. As it stands, we don't have quite as much proof of destruction as could be offered.

- SETTING RULINGS -

To bring up an old spiel of mine - This is not the BZPRPG. Limiting the players options in terms of species and the like is an unnecessary limitation; other than blanket rules like "please don't be a Makuta" and "no, you can't have the Mask of Life" which should be blatantly obvious, there's no sense in having them. I also wouldn't limit the natives to being only Matoran, either; having a few unusually twisted Skakdi crawling about, for instance; or perhaps even a stranger species, like one of the ones the Dark Hunters come from.

We definitely need a story of some time. If I could suggest: Faced with the possibility of profit, some large company (possibly Xian based) decides to fund a treasure hunting expedition, gathering volunteers and sending them to the island. They set-up base camp, and begin the task of exploring; of course, problems immediately begin to arise, and everything just starts to collapse, as various splinter groups begin to form. Players could also opt to be independently funded, and come via their own means; perhaps even as a group. These independent groups wander the island, and post just as big of a threat; however, the natives, who themselves have their own various tribes, are not particularly pleased at the intrusion. Or at least, that's how it appears; only a few xenophobic natives are actually responsible for the killings which begin. Which begs the question: what is behind the killings?

Just dangle some plot threads around.

Locations

These are pretty cool. Could use some work, but we'll wait until further into the process for that.

As is, this is a good start to an RPG. We just need to start seeing the mechanics, rulings, and so forth; but as a proposal, it's pretty sound. We just need to start seeing characters and plot.

EDIT: Oh, and -

Alright, lot of stuff to sort out. Okay.

To the first point, yes, the island is slightly larger than Metru Nui, but also offers its own trade of minerals from the mines. It also provides weapons and a safe haven for Fe-Matoran to work. The point about the Brotherhood being mysterious and actually shadowy is also a good point. The Makuta does have a name, but it will not be revealed for a while as I work out what it is.

The second point- I am a terrible artist, but I envision the island as being shaped like a star, with six curling points around the centre. The Quake caused the water around the island to surge up, drenching most of the land. 

Third point: 

Setting rulings are going to be difficult. The general 'plot hook' is that the news of Krakas' devastation spreads through the Matoran universe. Then this skeezy Chronicler shows up and tells the story. The Dark Hunters want to reclaim their weapons, the Toa want to find out what the ###### is going on, the Skakdi are in it for the ###### of it. 

On the mutated side, there are some who aren't mutated, but they live in the Forges and the Deserts. A couple live in the Towers of Solitude. Krakas' law enforcement was mainly in the form of Toa and the occasional Matoran who built a suit of powered armour. The mutations are from the Pit mutagen, turning most affected into whatever the predominant element is in their environment. 

For instance, those who were affected in the Jungle are usually insectoid or their organic matter has become plant-like, allowing them to merge with plants and control them that way. The University's inhabitants have become true water-breathers, as well as venemous. The Miners have become siliconeous in their environment. The shop-keepers have the widest variety of mutations, ranging from elemental powers to becoming fused with their weaponry. The Desert itself is partially sentient, and can be appeased with gifts of the mutative water. Those in the towers have greatly enhanced senses, or are able to fly. You are right; there should be a few twisted and deformed Skakdi and Xians around, maybe even a few Toa. 

The mechanics of mutation come up whenever you walk through sufficient quantities of water. A small puddle is not going to effect you immediately. But splashing through a river or lake, or traversing the sunken corridors and mines? Mutation is going to start fairly quickly. Mutation can be beneficial or detrimental, but every major advantage will have a massive disadvantage. For instance, your character might get incredible musculature, but be slow and large. 

The Palace itself is rumoured to contain a weapon that would be capable of causing Quake-level events on other islands. The players are aiming not just for riches, but the weapon itself, which could be a game-changer if it fell into any hands. 

Yes, there should be factions.

The Forge Masters: 

The mask-makers, weaponsmiths, jewellers- these folk reside in the Forges, navigating the lava flows with skill. They want to return to their normal life and hate the mutants with a passion. They provide one of the few harbours to the island. A few still maintain their businesses as best they can, but without raw materials they cannot work. They want to retake the Mines, and are willing to give the heroes who do that powerful weapons and armour. Anyone who can offer them raw material and a strong arm against the mutants is accepted, whether they be Matoran, Toa, Skakdi, Xian or whatever else they are. 

The Mutant Coalition: 

These unfortunate souls are the few mutants who retain some measure of reason. With their own kind trying to put them down, and adventurers coming in, all these mutants want is to return to their original forms... and are prepared to do whatever it takes to complete their goal. They also provide a harbour into the town, from the Towers of Solitude. Their goal is to see if there is a cure for their mutation in the depths of the University, or failing that in the Vault itself. 

The Dark Hunters: 

Mercenaries, thieves and cutthroats who want to continue reaping the benefits of Krakas' mechanical genius. They seek out the fabled Vault of Krakas, and are willing to pay top widgets for any fool who manages to find the Vault. Of course, they'll likely kill them afterwards, but they also send their own after the Vault. The Shadowed One suffers fools lightly. 

The Order of Mata Nui: 

A nebulous and hard to define group who are posing as traders from Metru Nui. They have heard rumours that the Quake was caused by a weapon in the Makuta's vault, and they want to seize that weapon at all costs. Some of the Order wants to aid the denizens of this island, but others feel that since they made the weapon, they deserve what they got. 

Xia Trading Company: 

A group of Xians and other species who believe that money is power. The Xians want the Vault, and they want the craftsmatoran who made such wonderful treasures. They bribe, backstab, cheat and do whatever it takes to seize control of the island and the Vault. Whoever controls Krakas controls the flow of money and power, and Xia wants in on that.They want to dominate the Forge Masters, and will do so with whatever means they have, be it force or guile.

-------

I have also seen a bit on how the characters get there. It really does depend. Your character could sail in as one of the Order, the Trading Company or the Hunters. They could crash on an airship. Or maybe, they were stranded and had to find land, and Krakas was the only land in sight. Perhaps you're a treasure hunter, or a Chronicler who wants to tell the tale of the Vault, or perhaps you're simply an adventurer. 

Other reasons could be that the Forge Masters sent out calls for help to reclaim the island, sending boats with non-mutated people to get their side of the story. 

--------

Edited by Ssendam the Masked

Would joining a faction be required, or could a character be a nomad of sorts?

No, joining a faction is not required. Advised, yes, but not required for anybody except the Mutants. And even then, you could be a lone mutant.

-------

Speaking of mutants, there was a question earlier about what the mutations did for you, so here it is: 

Mutations: 

The mutations are as a result of the Pit mutagen, and have had some pretty interesting effects.  As a rule, Matoran can get up to four, Turaga get 3, Toa, Skakdi and Xians get two and other species get one. This is to ensure that nobody gimps their mutations so they effectively become invincible, or have so many mutations it's just ridiculous. Also, whatever the mutation is, the Forge Masters hate mutants with a passion. If you mutate, they will become your enemies and attack you. Mutants cannot join the Forge Masters without hiding their mutation.

Natural Weapon: The mutations have caused your character to grow one natural weapon- like a stinger tail or venomous claws. Drawback: Natural Weapon makes it more likely for your character to go insane and animalistic. 

Tech-Hand: This mutation has fused a piece of technology to your body. You always have one piece of advanced technology as part of your body, but has to be cleared as per site rules. Drawbacks: you cannot get rid of this weapon without surgery and it still feels pain. Energy weapons draw from your own elemental energy.

Wings: your character has grown wings and can now fly. Drawbacks: these wings are hard to hide and feel quite awkward in an enclosed space. Also make it more likely to regress to an animalistic state.

Increased Strength: your character's mutation has made them grossly strong. Drawbacks: your character is now much larger, and is less agile. Also, it may have an effect on your intelligence, and due to how quickly the extra muscle has grown you have likely shattered your armour and are now in constant pain.

Water-breathing: your character can now breathe underwater without the help of a Kaukau. It also gives you increased swimming ability. Drawbacks: you cannot breathe on land without specialised equipment, and it also makes you more likely to be aggressive and violent. 

Plant-flesh: your character has mutated into a biomechanical plant organism. You can merge with other plants, and can also hide. Drawbacks: you are extremely vulnerable to fire, and a Toa or Turaga of plantlife can use you like a pupped due to your flesh. 

Stone-flesh: your mutation has turned your organic material into a siliconeous substance. You are now impervious to fire and are quite durable. Blades scrape off you with little more than a scratch. Drawbacks: you are extraordinarily heavy, and a Toa of Stone can easily manipulate you. In addition, carving implements will tear through your body easily.

Original mutation: Original mutations are allowed. However, they must have at least one, major, disadvantage. No 'mask of life but the drawback is that I'm ugly.' More 'I've got multiple arms but I am clumsy and un-co-ordinated.'

That's all I've got for now.