The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I don't see anywhere that it says regular villager masks didn't have power, and in the animations it just says that Ekimu and Makuta made masks of power, as well as saying that Ekimu's were more sought after - implying stronger masks, not just better craftsmanship. I'd imagine the Protector's masks are stronger, which is why they're special, but the way every thing looks makes me think the villagers' masks are empowered, which given other statements about the "shaping of the island" and such would make sense - powered masks would certainly be useful for living on that island, performing jobs and such, and it's not like G1, with the Matoran species basically having to have masks for full functioning, as well as the masks powering up when transforming and such. Nothing says here that they need the masks, they just seem to be a common and well used tool.

• Upvote 2

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

Although the BZPRPG only uses a little bit of the 2001 story for its setting, it still uses ideas from other arcs as well (playable Skakdi and Vortixx races (and even the inspiration behind the Lesterin, to some extent) are evidence of this, as are the game's current antagonists, The Piraka and their Rahkshi pets).

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Timageness has a point. Although the basis for the story is 2001, it has room to expand. Although, as an Okoto RPG progresses, it will be able to do the same as the official story progresses too.

Personally, I think that a more pressing issue is the lack of detail concerning Okoto. 2001 Mata Nui had the comics, the MNOG, and the books to world build, but Okoto only has the online videos, which are a couple minutes long each and are more focused on the To a than the island.

It might be smart to give a potential Okoto RPG a year or so delay to give the official story more time to reveal more information.

Remember, one frequent criticism of the BZPRPG is its complex lore. If we have to fill in too many gaps in order to make an Okoto RPG workable, then it won't be as easy to get into; it'll really be just another BRPG with little basis in canon.

• Upvote 5

Personally, I think it would be better to limit access to the Masters, at least early on in the game. For one thing, at this point, we only know of six. While the RPG would not necessarily have to adhere to that, I think it would keep the Masters special and powerful if they were limited in number.

And actually, I think it would be interesting if the initial goal would be to summon the Masters, but the Protectors don't know how. The PCs would have to travel the island to find the ritual (or something like that), and then once the Masters are summoned, they could be given as rewards to players.

• Upvote 4

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

I had an idea that instead of masters there would be a role similar to it, but not quite as powerful. Think of the shoulder height (to a Toa) protector with armour and weapons with limited elemental use. I know its not canon, but it could work. What do you guys think?

Edited by CeeCee

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

No, it sounds more like the EED's from Matoran Und Panzer. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I had an idea that instead of masters there would be a role similar to it, but not quite as powerful. Think of the shoulder height (to a Toa) protector with armour and weapons with limited elemental use. I know its not canon, but it could work. What do you guys think?

Those sound just like Protectors.

I'm the new guy here, so this is my first.

SUBMERGENCE

A sunken city, emerging out of the Great Sea...

Several factions have sent out scouts, to no avail. Glatorion, Agori, Skrall, Matoran, it all ends the same.

But a scout has returned to the Village of Geva Nui, bearing news of the assailants.

"Mutated Skakdi,  Matoran, and strange sea creatures!"

These attacks are becoming more common, wiping out an entire village. This must be avenged.

The Turaga are looking for able bodied Toa, Agori, Tohunga, anyone willing to help.

Any Volunteers?

If you have a custom race or something of the sort, let me know  :)

RULES

You can use your own profile if you want, or choose a selected character 

No overpowered characters please.

Spherus Magna, the Great Sea, 

1,000 years after the Reforming.

The Villages have come together to make a meeting hub for all of the tribes and races, Geva Nui. However, tensions are high. The tribes still have some prejudice to each other since the Core War. To make matters worse, a nomadic group of Skrall have been welcomed into the City. But this is the least of the Turaga's worries. A Lost City has been sighted from the Great Sea, spelling evil for the closest village, named after the noble Toa of Water, Gali. The fishing Village of Gali was the first to experience the wrath of the mutated horrors from the underwater city. The Village was almost instantly overwhelmed by the Mutant Skakdi, Skrall, and Matoran.  

A lone Matoran survived the deadly onslaught. Her name is Gatak, and she fled to Geva Nui after being driven under the village into hiding. This is troubling the Turaga in Geva Nui. These attacks are spreading farther North towards Geva Nui, making them think they are the target. From outposts to villages, they all suffer the same fate. The inhabitants are taken away, never to be heard from again. An Agori has rushed back to his home in Geva Nui, explaining that he saw his best friend, who was taken from an outpost far South. 

"She's different, I tell you! She is fishlike, gills and all! Her arms are gone, and claws are in their place!"

The Toa are away, trying to stop a troop of Baterra from getting closer to the Army barracks near former Vuclanus.

The Turaga have enough to deal with, and now, the population are getting even more frustrated, saying it is the Skrall's fault that the mutants are attacking. The Turaga have a mission. They are looking for volunteers(Characters listed below) to investigate.

The Group will separate and go to Gali, each small group investigating the damage done. Once at Gali, they entire party will swim into the Sea, underwater to investigate and maybe destroy the cause of this assault.  The water may give a slight Protodermis dose allowing water breathing. Good Luck, heroes.

CHARACTERS

Turaga Vakama, Matau, Nuju, Nokama, Whenua, Onewa

Giver of quest

Mutated Tohunga-Matoran that were captured and taken into the sea, coming out damaged, mutated, and hostile.

-

Mutated Skakdi

Zatak-Tohunga that discovered the creatures

Mask-Mahiki

Weapons-Throw Disk

Zatak was the first to discover what came out of the sea, and will be the guide of the journey.

Yaj

Skrall volunteer

Weapons-Skrall Shield, Thornax launcher.

Bio-One of the Former Skrall Soldiers welcomed into the city, Yaj has regret for what he did during the events of Mata Nui's landing. He signed on because he wanted to show the Agori, Glatorian, and Matoran that he cares, and regrets his actions. He is willing to die for his cause, and has made it clear he will go down fighting

Tagahl

Glatorian

Weapons-Fire Spear, Shield

Signed on for the glory and money

A former Glatorian of Vuclanus, Tagahl has lived out his career, and is looking for that fix of adrenaline he has been missing. After the Reforming, he lost purpose in life, waiting for a time when he is need. He has a high view of himself, and feels the entire residence of Vulcanus owes him for the entertainment he gave. He feels that going on this little adventure will make everyone appreciate him more, and maybe get his career back on the road. 

Akaru(Me)

Tohunga

Mask-Kanohi Pakari

Weapons-Kanoka Disk, Sword

Bio-Akaru comes from Po-Metru in the Matoran Universe. After the evacuation the the Mata Nui Robot, he moved to Geva Nui, starting his new life as a guard and trapper for his homeland. He is always ready to lend a hand, and after hearing about this, he rushed to Turaga Onewa, asking if he could come along. He hopes he will be able to aid his fellow people, and stop the assault of Spherus Magna.   

Edited by Austin's Kanohi Pakari

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Um.... where's the rest of it? The locations, characters, profile layouts, etc. Perhaps consider taking a look at some of the currently running RPGs in this forum to get an idea of what sort of things are required for an entry. 

• Upvote 3

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I think you're treating this a little too much like an actual RPG, and not a text-based RPG. Again, I would recommend having a look over some of the currently running RPGs to get an idea of how most GMs set up their games. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Construct and Roman are right: the text-based RPGs in this forum aren't roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons. If you'll take a look at the profiles in some of the RPGs that are currently running, you'll see that characters have strengths, weaknesses, and personalities, but those traits have no numbers assigned to them. A character is only as strong as the person who is writing them.

A few comments on the rest of your RPG:

What locations can players play in? You've told us there is a village called "Geva Nui." What island is that village located on, or is it even on an island? Are there other villages players can journey to? You've mentioned Glatorian and Agori, so I'm guessing this RPG takes place on Spherus Magna, but there's no way of knowing unless you tell us. And as for this sunken city: where is it in relation to Geva Nui, and how do players get there? Are they going to swim to it, or take a boat?

You'll also need to give us some more information about the characters in the RPG. You mention "the Turaga" in your introduction, but only name one: Turaga Varep. Does he lead Geva-Nui? Who are the other Turaga, and do they lead villages of their own? Are there characters from the canon universe, like Tahu, Vakama and Hahli? We need to know more about these characters: their appearance, their personality, their history, etc.

Speaking of history, we need more information in order to play this RPG. Geva Nui isn't a village in the canon universe, so how did it come to be? Where is it? What has taken place on Spherus Magna since Mata Nui defeated Teridax? Do all the Matoran and Agori live in peace, or are there tensions? Where did all the bad guys go after they escaped the Great Spirit Robot?

You have the beginnings of an RPG, bur you'll need to flesh it out a lot more in order to make it playable. Like Roman said, you should definitely take a look at the RPGs that are currently running so you understand what an RPG in this forum should look like. I would even recommend making a character or two in some of the current RPGs and playing for a few months so you can get a better idea of how our RPGs work and how the hosts run them.

Here are the currently running RPGS that I recommend you take a look at: Corpus RahkshiMatoran und Panzer, and Bionifight Infinite.

Here are a few helpful topics that will help you understand what games look like in this forum: Bionicle RPG Forum Rules and The Official BZPRPG: Rules and Index.

(note that the BZPRPG is a little different from the other RPGs, but most of the other RPGs in this forum are inspired by it in some way or another, so reading through its rules will help you understand how most RPGs work)

Really, the best advice I can give you right now is to research. You wouldn't do a school project without researching your topic, and running an RPG is the same way. You should know how the forum works, what players want in an RPG, how hosts run their RPGs successfully, and what your typical RPG looks like. Reading through the topics I've given you is the second-best way to learn, but the best way to learn is to play one yourself

Just like you can't be a good writer unless you read, I firmly believe you can't run a good RPG if you haven't played one. The more you play, the more you'll  learn, and the more you'll understand. Experience is the best teacher.

Good luck! :)

• Upvote 11

I will note here that Bionifight Infinite is, from what I have seen, a bit of an oddball in terms of its setup; I would recommend looking at the others in detail first, and then perhaps looking at Bionifight to get an idea of how you might be able to twist the setup to suit your RPG.

Those sound just like Protectors.

Well, I was under the assumption that the protectors are more like Turaga. These would be more like the Masters before they found the golden masks.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I will note here that Bionifight Infinite is, from what I have seen, a bit of an oddball in terms of its setup; I would recommend looking at the others in detail first, and then perhaps looking at Bionifight to get an idea of how you might be able to twist the setup to suit your RPG.

What page is it on?

Right. After doing my fair share of research, i've done a final edit.

I've given( although rather short) Bios, because I have some twists and turns lined up. One involving a Great Being!

DUN DUN DUH

Edited by Austin's Kanohi Pakari

Alright, I can see that those here don't like pointbuy stats, or stats and general, but I'm still going to propose this.

LINK TO BANNER

-----------------------------------------------------------

Long ago on the island of Okoto...
There lived two Mask Makers,
The mighty Ekimu and the great Makuta.
They forged the very masks we Protectors wear to this day.
But corruption is drawn to those in power...
And so it was that Makuta fell into the darkness and defeated Ekimu, leaving the villages of Okoto stranded and lost, guided only by a vague prophecy of the six Masters who would fall from the heavens...
For years we have passed down these legends, in hope that one day, they would come true. We have migrated to the very corners of this land, searching for our saviors.

And now, they have come.
Most in the villages are ecstatic, in awe of the mighty Masters who have arrived.
But dark undercurrents flow through Okoto, and as the ever-present Skull Spider menace lurks in the background of village celebrations, individuals plot and scheme....

What will be revealed as the Masters continue on their quests?

Welcome to Bionicle: Okoto.
Bionicle: Okoto is a RPG or "Role-playing-game" set on the island of Okoto. In it, players take the place of various inhabitants of the island by typing out a character's actions, thoughts, and conversations.
For example, a player may type:

(IC: Nayru) Nayru looks at the sea with a peaceful grin upon her face. "Awesome!",  she mutters.
((OOC: I like pie.))

The " (IC: )" marks mean that a player is pretending or "roleplaying" in character, or as a specific person. In this case, the player is pretending to be a character called "Nayru".
If a player wants to talk as a character, they should always use (IC: followed by their character name. Likewise, if a player wants to talk about the real world, they should put ((OOC: )), or " out of character", to notify other players that they are not speaking as their character.

The Okoto RPG is a bit different from the BZPRPG in this forum in that it uses values called "stats" to determine character strengths and weaknesses.
There are two types of stats- mental and physical- with four categories within each.

They are

MENTAL STATS (these use your brain)
Intelligence (Smarts)
Wisdom (Common Sense)
Elemental Power (Control over your element)

PHYSICAL STATS (these use your body)
Strength (Muscle Power)
Agility (Flexibility and maneuverability)
Speed (Quickness)

Each player starts with 1 point in every stat, and is given twenty points to put anywhere they want, with a maximum of five points per stat. (This includes the point already in each stat.)
This ensures that no player puts all 20 points into a single stat and becomes "all-powerful".

Stats are used throughout the game to settle conflict- if players attack each other, they compare stats- for example, if a player uses a fireball on another player, who tries to dodge, the two would compare their Elemental Power and Agility stats, with the highest one winning. In the case of a tie, the fight is a stalemate.
Skull Spiders have preset stats, depending on their color, which are also used in battle.

Stats are also used to unlock secrets around Okoto- certain doors may need a high Wisdom to open, or a certain combination of stats might activate a secret ruin. These areas are typically described by a RPG staffer, though players can make their own.
These secrets are labeled by the use of !Unlock:! followed by the stat(s) needed to access it and their power level.
For example:
!Unlock: Wisdom 3! requires a player with a 3 in Wisdom to access it, whereas !Unlock: Wisdom 3+! allows any players with 3 or higher Wisdom access.

Bionicle: Okoto attempts to follow the canon storyline as accurately as possible- therefore, the RPG does not allow players to play as the Six Masters, and tries to update and expand the island of Okoto as more information is revealed about it. Additionally, the RPG occurs concurrently with story events, so events that have occurred either in the animations or in supplemental materials are considered canon for all intents and purposes.

The RPG is led by a friendly team of INSERT NUMBER HERE members, who- in addition to moderating the RPG- welcome new members, introduce plotlines, and try to make sure no-one feels left out. Feel free to PM a staffer if you need any help.

Staffers introduce new players to each other via a team of villagers that welcome players and guide them to a storyline. They are ready to interact and share the role of creating new missions and events that do not interfere with established canon.
----------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on this post- I'll write more up later if it catches on.
Edited by Haecceity Jam
  • Upvote 1

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

Alright, I can see that those here don't like pointbuy stats, or stats and general, but I'm still going to propose this.

LINK TO BANNER

-----------------------------------------------------------

Long ago on the island of Okoto...
There lived two Mask Makers,
The mighty Ekimu and the great Makuta.
They forged the very masks we Protectors wear to this day.
But corruption is drawn to those in power...
And so it was that Makuta fell into the darkness and defeated Ekimu, leaving the villages of Okoto stranded and lost, guided only by a vague prophecy of the six Masters who would fall from the heavens...
For years we have passed down these legends, in hope that one day, they would come true. We have migrated to the very corners of this land, searching for our saviors.

And now, they have come.
Most in the villages are ecstatic, in awe of the mighty Masters who have arrived.
But dark undercurrents flow through Okoto, and as the ever-present Skull Spider menace lurks in the background of village celebrations, individuals plot and scheme....

What will be revealed as the Masters continue on their quests?

Welcome to Bionicle: Okoto.
Bionicle: Okoto is a RPG or "Role-playing-game" set on the island of Okoto. In it, players take the place of various inhabitants of the island by typing out a character's actions, thoughts, and conversations.
For example, a player may type:

(IC: Nayru) Nayru looks at the sea with a peaceful grin upon her face. "Awesome!",  she mutters.
((OOC: I like pie.))

The " (IC: )" marks mean that a player is pretending or "roleplaying" in character, or as a specific person. In this case, the player is pretending to be a character called "Nayru".
If a player wants to talk as a character, they should always use (IC: followed by their character name. Likewise, if a player wants to talk about the real world, they should put ((OOC: )), or " out of character", to notify other players that they are not speaking as their character.

The Okoto RPG is a bit different from the BZPRPG in this forum in that it uses values called "stats" to determine character strengths and weaknesses.
There are two types of stats- mental and physical- with four categories within each.

They are

MENTAL STATS (these use your brain)
Intelligence (Smarts)
Wisdom (Common Sense)
Elemental Power (Control over your element)

PHYSICAL STATS (these use your body)
Strength (Muscle Power)
Agility (Flexibility and maneuverability)
Speed (Quickness)

Each player starts with 1 point in every stat, and is given twenty points to put anywhere they want, with a maximum of five points per stat. (This includes the point already in each stat.)
This ensures that no player puts all 20 points into a single stat and becomes "all-powerful".

Stats are used throughout the game to settle conflict- if players attack each other, they compare stats- for example, if a player uses a fireball on another player, who tries to dodge, the two would compare their Elemental Power and Agility stats, with the highest one winning. In the case of a tie, the fight is a stalemate.
Skull Spiders have preset stats, depending on their color, which are also used in battle.

Stats are also used to unlock secrets around Okoto- certain doors may need a high Wisdom to open, or a certain combination of stats might activate a secret ruin. These areas are typically described by a RPG staffer, though players can make their own.
These secrets are labeled by the use of !Unlock:! followed by the stat(s) needed to access it and their power level.
For example:
!Unlock: Wisdom 3! requires a player with a 3 in Wisdom to access it, whereas !Unlock: Wisdom 3+! allows any players with 3 or higher Wisdom access.

Bionicle: Okoto attempts to follow the canon storyline as accurately as possible- therefore, the RPG does not allow players to play as the Six Masters, and tries to update and expand the island of Okoto as more information is revealed about it. Additionally, the RPG occurs concurrently with story events, so events that have occurred either in the animations or in supplemental materials are considered canon for all intents and purposes.

The RPG is led by a friendly team of INSERT NUMBER HERE members, who- in addition to moderating the RPG- welcome new members, introduce plotlines, and try to make sure no-one feels left out. Feel free to PM a staffer if you need any help.

Staffers introduce new players to each other via a team of villagers that welcome players and guide them to a storyline. They are ready to interact and share the role of creating new missions and events that do not interfere with established canon.
----------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on this post- I'll write more up later if it catches on.

Love it. My only suggestion is to maybe start off with a lower amount of points and the staff could gift them to people for doing quests or beating other players in combat. Would be good because the game would tailor to how the character plays. They would be able to unlock areas that would benefit them more. Though I suppose it could create an unbalanced playing field with new players against old players

RPGs in this forum don't usually work off points systems- that type of play would be better suited to G&T. Also, there's a rather conspicuous lack of any story whatsoever- at the moment, this could probably fit fairly well into G&T, so as some pointers: First, I'd recommend you take away the points system. Second: Add an engaging storyline. I don't think many people want to play as villagers whilst staff characters go off doing all the exciting stuff. If players are limited to villagers, at least add some way of the villagers getting involved in the plot.

VBWj75sh.png

RPGs in this forum don't usually work off points systems- that type of play would be better suited to G&T. Also, there's a rather conspicuous lack of any story whatsoever- at the moment, this could probably fit fairly well into G&T, so as some pointers: First, I'd recommend you take away the points system. Second: Add an engaging storyline. I don't think many people want to play as villagers whilst staff characters go off doing all the exciting stuff. If players are limited to villagers, at least add some way of the villagers getting involved in the plot.

I dont think staff will plays as masters. And there is nothing wrong with a points system, as long as it isnt abused

While I realize that RPGs on BZP don't usually use stats, this is primarily a text-based game. And frankly, the BZPRPG's lack of at least a way of showing character stats frustrates me. It seems very wishy-washy, and honestly more abuse-able than having a points system. 

"Also, there's a rather conspicuous lack of any story whatsoever"

As I stated, the story would work around the current G2 canon story. I'll write up some example quests if this gets further, but currently this is just conceptual framework.

"I don't think many people want to play as villagers"

I never stated that players could only play as Villagers- I've thought of adding a "Warrior" class with greater elemental control, Protectors, and perhaps Masters, based on feedback. Staff would NOT play as the canon masters unless those masters were interacted with- or perhaps we could give the canon Masters to players? 

Also, running around as villagers while others did all the fun stuff was basically the plot of MNOLG, (which I'd like to emulate since we have so little info) though it included "at least add some way of the villagers getting involved in the plot."

Therefore, I agree that plot involvement is fine, but I'd like to stay close to canon as much as possible...

Edited by Haecceity Jam

While I realize that RPGs on BZP don't usually use stats, this is primarily a text-based game. And frankly, the BZPRPG's lack of at least a way of showing character stats frustrates me. It seems very wishy-washy, and honestly more abuse-able than having a points system. 

The reason games on this forum don't use stat or point systems is because the whole idea of a text-based RPG is to tell a story. Have you ever read a book where all of the characters have stats and skills listed, and have to adhere to those? 

• Upvote 5

The reason games on this forum don't use stat or point systems is because the whole idea of a text-based RPG is to tell a story. Have you ever read a book where all of the characters have stats and skills listed, and have to adhere to those? 

I have not, but you have piqued my curiosity and I wish to read this story now.

It might be interesting to see what players do with their characters within the confines of a point system; and it's something that could easily be updated/upgraded as the story progresses, allowing for characters to "level up" powers and such.

• Upvote 3

Some reasons why stat systems aren't used IMO:

1: the RPGs are less of - dangit Nato. NEXT!!!

2: how are these stats quantified? For example, your character has a speed of 5... What exactly does that mean? Can they run at 5 m/s? 5 km/h? Unlike a video game (ie: the Final Fantasy series), there isn't a calculator inside the TBRPG, and you haven't given any algorithms to explain how most of these numbers translate into actual gameplay.

3: the RPGs tend to reflect reality unless otherwise noted. While we do have quantifiers for physical stats in real life, one's strength, speed, and flexibility can wildly fluctuate from day to day under certain conditions. Even more so with mental stats. Unless we start throwing out status debuffs and buffs left and right for everything (say, getting drunk decreases intelligence by 2+n, n representing the number of consecutive drinks you've had), it's too rigid to be realistic.

• Upvote 7

I recommend you read through the last two pages of this topic, which have been spent discussing the pros and cons of an Okoto RPG.

The primary con is that we don't know anything about Okoto yet, seeing as the story's only been running for three months. And whereas 2001 Bionicle had an online game, books, comic books and more, 2015 Bionicle only has a few short animations that don't really discuss the island or its inhabitants at all. If you can address the concerns that have been brought up over the last few pages, then I imagine I'd be happy to support this RPG.

Now, onto the can of worms...

There are several reasons why our text-based RPGs don't use stats. The main one is because these games rely on words, not numbers, in order to function. 

Let's say there are two players, Jaller101, playing a Toa of Fire, and Nuparu77, playing a Toa of Earth. These two guys decide their characters are going to battle. In your typical BRPG, this is how it would play out:

IC (Takama)

Takama roared in anger. Sweat dripped down his face and stung his eyes as he swung his mace at the Toa of Fire.

IC (Vahu)

Vahu leaped into the air, activating his Calix as he did so. The mask's power surged through his body, increasing his reflexes and allowing him to perform at the peak of his physical condition. He arched his back, allowing the mace to pass under him, and executed a neat backflip, landing on his feet. Gripping his sword tight, he pointed it at his opponent and shot a fireball.

IC (Pakama)

The Toa of Earth jumped back and reached into the ground with his elemental powers. He could feel the earth beneath his feet, solid and unshakable. He grinned, and pulled upwards with his powers, drawing a wall of earth out of the ground. The fireball dissipated against the earthen shield, leaving him unharmed. Pakama then used his powers again and pushed the wall quickly towards Vahu.

IC (Vahu)

Vahu wasn't expecting this. The wall of earth crashed into him, knocking him head over heels.

I could go on for awhile, but you see what I'm getting at. The whole point of the battle is to write creatively and try to outsmart your opponent. It doesn't matter how strong or smart you say your character is; what matters is how well you play them. That's why you see Matoran taking down Toa in the BZPRPG: their players write them creatively.

Now let's imagine how that fight might have gone down if each Toa had stats.

IC (Pakama)

Pakama roared in anger. Sweat dripped down his face and stung his eyes as he swung his mace at the Toa of Fire.

OOC Pakama's strength is 21.

OOC Vahu's defense is only 15...

IC (Vahu)

Pakama's mace connected with the side of Vahu's head, knocking him out.

Now, that's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but again, I think you get the point. If you rely on numbers instead of words, that takes all the fun out of it. There's no point in battling someone if you know you're going to lose. It doesn't matter how well you write or how creative you are: if your stats are lower, then you automatically come out worse than the other guy.

And that doesn't even bring the other stats into the picture. What about, say, Speed? If your speed is lower, does that mean it'll take you longer to traverse the island? Do you have to write three "transit" posts instead of one? Or if your Intelligence is low, does that mean your character can't do anything clever? I don't want my creativity to be limited by the numbers attached to my character.

And if you want to bring buffs and debuffs in: are the staff going to monitor every single character and make a GM post adjusting a character's stats every time they do something? For example:

IC (Vahu)

Vahu took a nap.

OOC Vahu's health is restored.

TL;DR If I wanted a game that relied on stats, I'd play Runescape.

I recommend you read through the last two pages of this topic, which have been spent discussing the pros and cons of an Okoto RPG.

The primary con is that we don't know anything about Okoto yet, seeing as the story's only been running for three months. And whereas 2001 Bionicle had an online game, books, comic books and more, 2015 Bionicle only has a few short animations that don't really discuss the island or its inhabitants at all. If you can address the concerns that have been brought up over the last few pages, then I imagine I'd be happy to support this RPG.

There are several reasons why our text-based RPGs don't use stats. The main one is because these games rely on words, not numbers, in order to function. 

Let's say there are two players, Jaller101, playing a Toa of Fire, and Nuparu77, playing a Toa of Earth. These two guys decide their characters are going to battle. In your typical BRPG, this is how it would play out:

IC (Takama)

Takama roared in anger. Sweat dripped down his face and stung his eyes as he swung his mace at the Toa of Fire.

IC (Vahu)

Vahu leaped into the air, activating his Calix as he did so. The mask's power surged through his body, increasing his reflexes and allowing him to perform at the peak of his physical condition. He arched his back, allowing the mace to pass under him, and executed a neat backflip, landing on his feet. Gripping his sword tight, he pointed it at his opponent and shot a fireball.

IC (Pakama)

The Toa of Earth jumped back and reached into the ground with his elemental powers. He could feel the earth beneath his feet, solid and unshakable. He grinned, and pulled upwards with his powers, drawing a wall of earth out of the ground. The fireball dissipated against the earthen shield, leaving him unharmed. Pakama then used his powers again and pushed the wall quickly towards Vahu.

IC (Vahu)

Vahu wasn't expecting this. The wall of earth crashed into him, knocking him head over heels.

I could go on for awhile, but you see what I'm getting at. The whole point of the battle is to write creatively and try to outsmart your opponent. It doesn't matter how strong or smart you say your character is; what matters is how well you play them. That's why you see Matoran taking down Toa in the BZPRPG: their players write them creatively.

IC (Pakama)

Pakama roared in anger. Sweat dripped down his face and stung his eyes as he swung his mace at the Toa of Fire.

OOC Pakama's strength is 21.

IC (Vahu)

Now, that's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but again, I think you get the point. If you rely on numbers instead of words, that takes all the fun out of it. There's no point in battling someone if you know you're going to lose. It doesn't matter how well you write or how creative you are: if your stats are lower, then you automatically come out worse than the other guy.

And that doesn't even bring the other stats into the picture. What about, say, Speed? If your speed is lower, does that mean it'll take you longer to traverse the island? Do you have to write three "transit" posts instead of one? Or if your Intelligence is low, does that mean your character can't do anything clever? I don't want my creativity to be limited by the numbers attached to my character.

And if you want to bring buffs and debuffs in: are the staff going to monitor every single character and make a GM post adjusting a character's stats every time they do something? For example:

IC (Vahu)

Vahu took a nap.

OOC Vahu's health is restored.

I just wanted to use a stat system because I'm fan of it. It worked on a few Elder Scrolls RPGs I was in, but if you don't think it would work here, fine.

I have read through the last few pages, and although I haven't commented on it, I just wanted to say that I am in favor of it. Just because we don't have much of a story doesn't matter. What did we do between 2010-2015? We MADE our own stories. I'm just saying I would be interested in the Okotoverse RPG. Reading through the last pages doesn't affect that. It still sounds like fun none the less.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the point of an RPG is to roleplay. Usually within an established story at first, though that may branch out as the roleplaying progresses and forms additional stories. 

Some reasons why stat systems aren't used IMO:

1: the RPGs are less of - dangit Nato. NEXT!!!

2: how are these stats quantified? For example, your character has a speed of 5... What exactly does that mean? Can they run at 5 m/s? 5 km/h? Unlike a video game (ie: the Final Fantasy series), there isn't a calculator inside the TBRPG, and you haven't given any algorithms to explain how most of these numbers translate into actual gameplay. 

3: the RPGs tend to reflect reality unless otherwise noted. While we do have quantifiers for physical stats in real life, one's strength, speed, and flexibility can wildly fluctuate from day to day under certain conditions. Even more so with mental stats. Unless we start throwing out status debuffs and buffs left and right for everything (say, getting drunk decreases intelligence by 2+n, n representing the number of consecutive drinks you've had), it's too rigid to be realistic.

You raise several valid points there- points that I (as a tabletop gamer) agree with in some aspects regarding stat systems.

However:

Quantification can be clarified by providing examples along a scale of possible stat values- e.g., 5 Speed is about the speed of a Kane-Ra Bull, or likewise, allowing players room to interpret their stats as they want, but providing a comparison to insure continuity.

Debuffs/penalties and bonuses do pose a problem in simplistic systems, and while I could write a list of situations and their resulting effects up and provide that to players, I think that would be too frustrating for the average player (who doesn't want to look at a list every time they perform an action.) In this case, I think relying on roleplaying might be a better alternative for inserting stat changes- reflect the change in your roleplaying, not your stats. The idea here is not to make a stat-heavy game, and if players are able to practice restraint and roleplay realistically in the BZRPG without any guidelines, then I see no reason why they couldn't do it in this RPG.

IC (Takama)

IC (Vahu)

IC (Pakama)

IC (Vahu)

I could go on for awhile, but you see what I'm getting at. The whole point of the battle is to write creatively and try to outsmart your opponent. It doesn't matter how strong or smart you say your character is; what matters is how well you play them. That's why you see Matoran taking down Toa in the BZPRPG: their players write them creatively.

IC (Pakama)

OOC Pakama's strength is 21.

IC (Vahu)

IC (Vahu)

Vahu took a nap.

OOC Vahu's health is restored.

Hooboy. Alright, let's get down to this.

Firstly, the idea is not to take the roleplaying out of the game. Not at all. Instead, the point of stats here is to provide an element of stability. In your example, notice that each player has _complete freedom_ to pull anything out of anywhere without any degree of assurance that this isn't a deus ex machina by the player that will be brought up once and never used again. By quantifying a character, it both forces players to think more strategically (and prevents sudden "Oh-I-won" moments), and allows players to have an idea of how they'd like their character to develop from the beginning, as well as providing ideas for additional development players might never had considered. (some of my most well-rounded characters were stat-based, and I credit their development to studying where I put their stat points and being inspired.

Also notice the lack of health, attack, or defense in my original post. I want players to roleplay as much as possible, and I don't want stats to limit certain areas.

Also, one should note that this is a verrrrrry light stat system, which is only a backbone to the RPG. It's not anywhere near those of most traditional RPGs, and is a pretty non-restrictive system.

As for your comment on Okoto culture- I think that areas that are grey should be left that way until more is revealed, and that we should focus on what we do know about the island from animations and whatnot. And if players come up with a few fanon elements that contradict canon, so be it.

We can always introduce more canon later, but I feel that this is the time to start, to capitalize on the blank slate we have been given. There's an element of mystery to not knowing everything about this new world- heck, any BIONICLE fan should realize that- and I want to harness that.

Thanks for all the replies, though. I appreciate the criticism, as it helps me refine my ideas and get differing opinions.

P.S.

If a stat system simply will not do, I am open to running it more like a traditional Text-Based RPG, though it might become a BZPRPG clone in that case.)

Edited by Haecceity Jam

Let's look at this a different way.

The idea here is not to make a stat-heavy game, and if players are able to practice restraint and roleplay realistically in the BZRPG without any guidelines, then I see no reason why they couldn't do it in this RPG.

This statement runs pretty contrary to why you said you wanted stats in the first place. You note that they can be trusted in other games overall, so why are stats even necessary?

More specifically, what draw do they bring? I can tell you right off the bat that 90% of the RPG crowd hates stats. They didn't even like having HP or other number-based systems for Bionifight. So having stats is going to immediately alienate a large percentage of your potential players.

So what's the draw? What do stats bring to the table to make a player want them? Or what does your game have to make people want to play despite them?

• Upvote 6

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I have read through the last few pages, and although I haven't commented on it, I just wanted to say that I am in favor of it. Just because we don't have much of a story doesn't matter. What did we do between 2010-2015? We MADE our own stories. I'm just saying I would be interested in the Okotoverse RPG. Reading through the last pages doesn't affect that. It still sounds like fun none the less.

Yes, we made our own stories between 2010-2015, but all those stories were based on the ten years of worldbuilding we were given before G1 Bionicle ended. The BZPRPG may be based on 2001 Mata Nui (which, as I've already mentioned, got a lot more worldbuilding in 2001 than Okoto has thus far [partially because Okoto's only been around for three months]), but it also incorporates elements of the story from the years beyond. 

I'm not saying an Okoto RPG isn't feasible, but here's the thing:

The main reason a lot of people want an Okoto RPG is because the BZPRPG is too complex. They want a G2 Bionicle RPG that follows the G2 story.

Here's the problem:

The G2 Bionicle story has only been alive for three months. No exaggeration. If we make an RPG now, then we'll have to worldbuild to fill in the gaps, which means making a world that's just as complex and potentially non-canon as the BZPRPG, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Now, yes, I know there's nobody pointing a gun at our heads and saying the Okoto RPG has to be 100% canon, but if we're going to have to make up 90% of it, then it's not really a G2 Bionicle RPG. It's a fan-made PG that just so happens to be called Okoto. With some guys called Masters and Protectors, and some weird spiders. That's where the similarities will end, simply because we don't know anything more about Okoto at this time.

Take things like the Battle for Endworld, it has NOTHING to do with G1. We can follow the Skull Spiders story, but we can fill in the gaps with our stuff. I'm just saying it's not a bad idea. Maybe they find a rouge Protector. I don't know, I just really want to try this out.

Actually, the point of an RPG is to roleplay. Usually within an established story at first, though that may branch out as the roleplaying progresses and forms additional stories. 

I think you missed the point of my original statement. Hopefully this has now been clarified by the more recent posts pointing out the cons of using a stats/points system in an RPG like this. 

As I said, the point of a text-based RPG like the ones in this forum is to write and develop a story in conjunction with the other players. Adding a stats system detracts from the story, since all of the creativity and interaction is dictated by a bunch of numbers. 

Firstly, the idea is not to take the roleplaying out of the game. Not at all. Instead, the point of stats here is to provide an element of stability. In your example, notice that each player has _complete freedom_ to pull anything out of anywhere without any degree of assurance that this isn't a deus ex machina by the player that will be brought up once and never used again. By quantifying a character, it both forces players to think more strategically (and prevents sudden "Oh-I-won" moments), and allows players to have an idea of how they'd like their character to develop from the beginning, as well as providing ideas for additional development players might never had considered. (some of my most well-rounded characters were stat-based, and I credit their development to studying where I put their stat points and being inspired.

I'll acknowledge that a system without stats can allow too much freedom. However, that's what we have rules and staff for. The rules specifically state that you can't just "pull anything out of anywhere"; you have to work within the parameters of what is realistic. And if someone breaks those rules, then the offended party can contact a staff member to settle the dispute. These instances are usually quite rare: most people are great at playing within the rules.

I don't see how using stats forces players to think more strategically. If one character has better stats, they win. That's the whole point of a stats system.

Also notice the lack of health, attack, or defense in my original post. I want players to roleplay as much as possible, and I don't want stats to limit certain areas.

Also, one should note that this is a verrrrrry light stat system, which is only a backbone to the RPG. It's not anywhere near those of most traditional RPGs, and is a pretty non-restrictive system.

Honestly, I think implementing a "light stat system" is really just a compromise that doesn't give you the best of either option. With a stats system, you have rigidity that allows for a specific gameplay experience. With a completely open system where writing dictates the "winner," you allow for full creativity. Settling for something between the two feels like you're sacrificing the best of both and ending up with a mediocre game.

As for your comment on Okoto culture- I think that areas that are grey should be left that way until more is revealed, and that we should focus on what we do know about the island from animations and whatnot. And if players come up with a few fanon elements that contradict canon, so be it.

We can always introduce more canon later, but I feel that this is the time to start, to capitalize on the blank slate we have been given. There's an element of mystery to not knowing everything about this new world- heck, any BIONICLE fan should realize that- and I want to harness that.

I don't mind mystery. Mystery can be fun. But there's a difference between mystery and a simple absence of information. I, personally, don't think Okoto is developed enough to be the setting of an RPG without significant fanon; so much so that you really might as well create your own island. 

(Fun fact: the BZPRPG didn't begin until 2003)

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I think implementing a "light stat system" is really just a compromise that doesn't give you the best of either option. With a stats system, you have rigidity that allows for a specific gameplay experience. With a completely open system where writing dictates the "winner," you allow for full creativity. Settling for something between the two feels like you're sacrificing the best of both and ending up with a mediocre game.

This really caught me there, and I want to respond to it first.

The stat system's "lightness" was a direct response to the attitude of this board- I hoped that I might ease players into a system with some constraints- apparently, that's not going to work.

I don't see how using stats forces players to think more strategically. If one character has better stats, they win. That's the whole point of a stats system.

In this case, stats both force a player to "work with what they have", and to choose how they approach enemies based on the stats they gave their character at the beginning of the game. There is not Attack/ Defense here, so players have to consider how they attack and how they defend with the stats they have.

This statement runs pretty contrary to why you said you wanted stats in the first place. You note that they can be trusted in other games overall, so why are stats even necessary?

I realize it does, and that's part of the compromise I'm making with the attempt to placate the board, and to lessen the learning curve for new players. I want stats to assure that players have consistency in how they play their characters, but I'm not asking much from the stats- just a way to quantify a character's attributes. You aren't restricted by the stats- In fact, by the ability to allot stats as you wish, you have a great deal of freedom- in any aspect other then realism (which you are all about, I hear). By insuring that a character maintains consistency, you can crate a great deal more realism then if you allow players to randomly interpret or skew a fight or situation just based on what they type- even if it contradicts earlier displays of power.

I'd be willing to compromise over a stat system, and wait for more Okoto info to come out (perhaps when the books are published?), but to be entirely honest with you, my first foray into the BZPRPG threw me off not only because of the cliques and complexity, but because of the unknown. I didn't know if I was expected to be able to do certain things, or if players would call me out for trying this or that. In that regard, I think a stat backbone provides support for struggling and new players- (and unlocks new avenues of play, if secret unlocks are implemented!)

Anyway, stats or no stats... old habits die hard for both of us, I guess.

Edited by Haecceity Jam