The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I've been trying to scrape together an idea based on that, and this is what I have so far:

After a certain amount of successes/resources or planets found/bases made, i'll add in a small amount of NPCs. Then more, and more, and etc, and etc.

Each faction's gonna start out with just enough to be more than a riot squad.

Important factor: As I just witnessed in Corpus Rahkshi, people have the tendency to slaughter NPCs left and right, or use them to unrealistic advantage, etc. So I'll place NPC command & control in the faction leader(s), meaning even more picky on who the leader is.

As someone who was actually involved in the incident you just described, I think you'll find that it was only a small number of people who used NPCs in that way, and that those people did in fact get called out for it by other players, and the GM. 

Set out some clear guidelines for how NPCs should be treated, and you shouldn't have any issues. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

On a more basic note... Have you looked into a Co-GM, Ghidora? One is required by the forum's rules, and to be perfectly honest, you will need to have quite a good one in order to convince some of the Judges to approve a game from you.

Tyler in particular has made his opinion very clear, and while I wouldn't put it as bluntly, it is a sentiment I can understand.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Have you looked into a Co-GM, Ghidora?

Anyone who wants to share seats with the guy who mauled failed Asylum can send me a PM as long as they think they can handle it. Note, I won't be picking the first one who does so, but the best one to Co-GM.

Not trying to be offensive to anyone, but I need someone really capable.

Set out some clear guidelines for how NPCs should be treated, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Hm...

Being the one who had to fix all of that, do you have any suggestions on how they should be handled?

For starters, actually have people treat them like the highly trained and capable opperatives that they are.

Pretty much this, yeah.

I apparently counted as two people.

Well, you have two co-GM's now, anyway. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Does Ultron count as two people as well, or did I miss something?

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Does Ultron count as two people as well, or did I miss something?

I was just wondering this myself, and had a brief skim through the first posts of the Planning, Request and Rules topics. Maybe I missed something, but I can't seem to find anything actually saying that a game must have two GMs. 

Welcome, friends, to the Frontier. Spherus Magna is getting back on it's feet, and you are one of many colonists of varying species aboard the mysterious mag-lev train discovered in the desert wastes. The remaining Toa from Mata Nui are preoccupied with defending the settlements from Bone Hunters and what's left of the Skrall. With these new protectors, things like wayter and heat have become a non issue. Food remains scarce, though.  Agori legends say that on the other side of the tracks is a land rich and fertile, perfect for growing and finding food. Along the way are perils and treasures of all kinds. What will you find?

The train, officially known as The Engine, is a self contained vehicle powered by unknown means, and produces enough food and water for any passengers while running on the track. The cars are surprisingly roomy, and are as follows:

The Engine Car: The head of the train, this car houses whatever force powers the train, and is manned by a Skakdi of Iron known as the Engineer. 

The Dining Car: Here is where most of the passengers take their meals. while the train runs the tracks, it provides three strains of a nutrient rich paste three times a day, as well as simple, clean water. The car is furnished with several rows of booths.

Bathroom Car: Self explanatory, contains means of waste disposal and showers.

Rest Car: This car contains rows of beds, two bunks per bed, and a footlocker and cabinet.

Aid Car: Contains a full medical facility, and is manned by an Agori from the fire tribe called Karta.

Rec Cars: The longest cars at the rear of the train, the rec cars include a gym, observation car, a library, storage, and most importantly, the Caboose.

The Caboose: This car at the very rear of the train is always sealed, what lies within is unknown, and attempts to open it have proved fruitless.

The Waste: Outside the train is an immense desert, filled with innumerable dangers. Without supplies, which the train does not provide, no being can last more than a few days. While not technically forbidden, leaving the train when in motion is widely considered a bad idea.

Rules:

1. God modding is a no-no. This should go without saying, but such as it is, things like auto hitting, auto dodging, pulling super weapons out the wazoo, are all off limits.

2. Follow all the normal BZP forum rules. once again, should go without saying, but here it is in case you forget.

3. That's about it. Play fair, and there should be no problems!

Player model:

Name: What are you gonna be called?

Species: What are you? You have your choice of Matoran, Agori, Vortixx, Glatorian, or Skakdi.

Gender: Are you a girl, or a boy? Or something in between? Or something else entirely?

Description: What do you actually look like?

Gear: What did you bring with you on your person? This covers weapons and armor. The most modern weaponry is revolver pistols, and for the sake of safety, thornax launchers, elemental Skakdi weapons, and Cordak blasters are not permitted. All other weapons will be approved on a case by case basis.

Personality: What are you like? Mean? Funny? Kind?

Bio: From which walk of life are you from? What was their life before they boarded the Engine?

Notes on species and tech: With the dangers of the wastes, come weapons, of course. However, the Engineer has imposed a strict limit on how much firepower one being can carry at a given time. This will largely be judged on a case by case basis, but a good bar is the rhotuka launcher. This is about as advanced as it gets. Gunpowder weapons exist, however, are limited to revolvers that require the hammer drawn back for each shot.

Regarding Skakdi, Elemental powers do work, but -ONLY- in tandem with another Skakdi, and both Skakdi must be consenting.

Edited by The Other Other Alex
  • Upvote 3

I'm thinking; what if there was an rpg made that incorporated player contributions (requiring staff approval, of course) for locations and such? And I mean like actively encouraging it?

Inspiration of planets, etcetera? or did you mean something different?

Well, that, but mostly smaller things like locations on the same planet.

Welcome, friends, to the Frontier. Spherus Magna is getting back on it's feet, and you are one of many colonists of varying species aboard the mysterious mag-lev train discovered in the desert wastes. Agori legends say that on the other side of the tracks is a land rich and fertile. Along the way are perils and treasures of all kinds. What will you find?

The train, officially known as The Engine, is a self contained vehicle powered by unknown means, and produces enough food and water for any passengers while running on the track. The cars are surprisingly roomy, and are as follows:

The Engine Car: the head of the train, this car houses whatever force powers the train, and is manned by the Glatorian known only as, The Engineer.

The Dining Car: Here is where most of the passengers take their meals. The train provides three strains of a nutrient rich paste three times a day, as well as simple, clean water. The car is furnished with several rows of booths.

Bathroom car: self explanatory, contains means of waste disposal and showers.

Rest car: this car contains rows of beds, two bunks per bed, and a footlocker and cabinet.

Aid Car: contains a full medical facility, and is manned by an Agori from the fire tribe called Karta.

Rec Cars: the longest cars at the rear of the train, the rec cars include a gym, observation car, storage, and most importantly, the Caboose.

The Caboose: this car at the very rear of the train is always sealed, what lies within is unknown, and attempts to open it have proved fruitless.

The Waste: outside the train is an immense desert, filled with innumerable dangers. Without supplies, which the train does not provide, no being can last more than a few days. While not technically forbidden, leaving the train when in motion is widely considered a bad idea.

Rules:

1. God modding is a no-no. This should go without saying, but such as it is, things like auto hitting, auto dodging, pulling super weapons out the wazoo, are all off limits.

2. That's it. Play fair, and there will be no problems.

Player model:

Species: What are you? Anything from Toa to agori is acceptable, but do keep it to sentient races.

Gender: Are you a girl, or a boy? Or something in between? Or something else entirely?

Gear: What did you bring with you on your person?

Bio: From which walk of life are you from? What was their life before they boarded the Engine?

I'd play it.

Ditto. I think the train idea works much better like this, on its own. 

That said, the current post is a little barebones. I'd consider establishing some limitations on what sort of things are/aren't allowed in terms of races/gear/weapons, unless you intend to judge each profile on a case by case basis. 

• Upvote 2

Having characters at least start off powerless would help solve any issues with, say, trying to burn down the train.

I assume the train would be made of some kind of power-nullifying plot material to avoid this issue. 

• Upvote 1

Having characters at least start off powerless would help solve any issues with, say, trying to burn down the train.

I assume the train would be made of some kind of power-nullifying plot material to avoid this issue. 

I'd still be interested in trying an RPG with powerless characters.

If everyone was going to be powerless, it'd probably just be easier to limit us to races like Vortixx, Agori, Glatorian, etc. that don't have powers to start with, rather than letting us pick any race we want then taking away their powers. 

If everyone was going to be powerless, it'd probably just be easier to limit us to races like Vortixx, Agori, Glatorian, etc. that don't have powers to start with, rather than letting us pick any race we want then taking away their powers. 

Oh, of course. I think that goes without saying.

Agori legends say that on the other side of the tracks is a land rich and fertile. 

Welcome to Frontier v1.3

Backstory:

The Matoran Universe was one great civilization, and had dealt with the Dark Hunters for what was considered forever. Then the Order of Mata Nui made one fatal mistake: they let word get out that the MU was a machine. In an attempt to avoid the death of a universe, everyone evacuated to the exterior to find the endless regions of space, and adventure was soon to follow. With the resurrection of evil and the fighting forces of good, there is incredible possibility (i.e. getting killed, finding stuff, getting killed, waging war, getting killed, etc.) waiting just at your fingertips (i.e. gunz, getting killed).

So get out there, and save or destroy the universe!

Character:

Okay, this is you. Your character gets to be one of several species on one of at least three factions with one of at least four vehicles fighting for the good (or destruction) of the universe. You get your own armour, and you can colourize it all you want. So go for it!

Character template (pending)

Name: (who are you, anyway?)

Species: (Matoran, Toa, Skakdi, Vortixx,  etc.)

Gender: (Male? Female? Or something else? try to keep it relevant, though)

Affiliation: (if working for two factions, please place as "double agent" and list the two factions)

Vehicle: (see vehicles)

Playable Species:

Matoran

Toa

Vortixx

Skakdi

Factions:

Empire Hand (Helryx, pending)

I used to know of this lot quite well, but they own the civilized universe and are looked upon as the good guys. Not so sure on that, though, but it keeps them busy.

Empire Hand was formed from the Order of Mata Nui after many of its original members were killed. Since then, they have let in anyone deemed good enough to fight, as they try to take over the rest of the universe. Heartily stating they intend only good, yet do otherwise, it seems nobody can be trusted anymore. Members of Empire Hand are heavily trained and disobedience is met with strict punishment. Good fighting and strict loyalty is the only way to move up in this type of sect.

-----

Dead Conquest (Datrahk, pending)

Dead Conquest is made of rebels of Empire Hand, always ready to tear people in two to bring liberation to all. Their brutal actions and rough training hide friendly leaders and a will to free the universe from Empire Hand's steel grip. Never be too trusting, though: they are painted as villains across the ears of the people.

-----

Dark Horizon (pending)

Dark Horizon consists of the villainous members of the Dark Hunters, now much more villainous and under new leadership. The Dark Hunter's weaponry is sometimes hand-made from the remains of other weapons (or other Hunters). Lesser known, Dark Horizon intends to set up the rule of the Dark Hunters once again. Only absolute villains get in here, folks, and don't expect to defect to another group and live.

-----

[Name it and claim it]

That's right, get a few players together and you can make your own organization! It has to be more than 2 characters heading it, though. You can join any group you want, but I'm not handing out these things like popcorn. It's gotta be well assembled and be interesting enough. All custom factions will be given a base on an unsettled planet and enough resources and vehicles to start off.

Out-Of-Reach Tech: More weapons for you to use may be available in the future, but hyperspace, tracking beacons, and other high-power devices can only be used by the faction leaders and higher ups. Don't put these into your ship without permission. You may end up receiving these later though, for completing missions and/or tackling/driving off bigger threats.

Combat: you'll be fighting in two massive spacecraft, both heavily armed and guarded to prevent any attack from harming it. Please treat them like actual beings in combat.

Planets: Ah, here's the fun part! now and again i'll introduce missions for the factions to find and control unknown planets, and whatever Rahi or materials that are there is yours for the taking. Capture planets to establish bases. And do expect on-planet gunfights. Each Faction main ship has several massive dropships, which take your ships to destinations for you via hyperspace. Saves a lot of time.

-----

Weapons:

Pending. Generally you'll get a laser rifle or pistols, but works on a charging clip/round, so you can't send an endless stream of laser fire into a base until it explodes.

Any weapon with italic spelling (i.e., Weapon) is a one-of-a-kind weapon. You can only have one of these, and not two together.

Basic weapons types include:

Zamor Launcher: Your state-of-the-art Zamor, no antidermis included. Works like a Zamor should, and would. You can only have one of these, though.

Buzzsaw Kanoka: A Kanoka launcher that launches powerless, sharp-edged Kanoka. Get hit by one of these and at the least it'll shred your armour, at the worst tear your stomach out. Only one of these too, although you can carry four Kanoka.

Madu Launcher: Since Madu Cabolo are so explosive, chuck one out of this launcher to make a 2-bio blast and knock someone quite a ways. Downside, you can only carry one, and bringing more Madu Cabolo than what can fit in the launcher is dangerous, as if they get hit they hurt you.

Rhotuka: You should know how Rhotuka work. Just specify what type of Rhotuka, and no OP ones like mutation.

Elite Weaponry:

These weapons Are unique, as you can only carry one from this category. Choose wisely.

Ballistic Shield: This protosteel shield protects you from most every weapon, and can be used as a bashing weapon as well. Each one is unique to its species, so a Matoran-sized shield wouldn't work for a Vortixx. The weaknesses of the Ballistic shield are the superheated Crossbow bolts, and the teleport and knockback Zamor. You can carry only one.

Crossbow: This Crossbow fires superheated bolts that can go quite a long way, and do a lot of damage. You can customize your Crossbow to fire freeze bolts,

-----

Armour:

Now, the armour you wear gives you protection against the high-tech weapons of the future, and lets you treat you character normally like any other RPG. But, keep it in good condition, as you may encounter dangerous threats along the way that could defeat you much easier if you didn't have it. Every time you visit your HQ, your armour will be automatically repaired. However, you won't have your armour on in your HQ, as this helps even out such common brawls and fistfights that will occur. Your armour will also repair automatically if you are in your custom HQ, like a planet base or smaller main ship. But not any planet base you walk up to. Only a planet base that have been set out by your faction leader as your home base will work. Your helmet will contain contact devices that will fail if you get hit by a Ghost Blaster. It will also let you breathe in space, in case you are called to investigate a planet with toxic or zero atmosphere.

For Toa: Due to the mental connection in order to keep the suit's systems in check, you are unable to directly use your powers on another being. You'll have to make some kind of attaxck with your element instead of inflicting the being directly.

Sound Toa: while you have your sound abilities, using them in a shout will disrupt your own system before it reaches the other being.

For Skakdi: Unfortunately there is no form-fitting suit for your spine, so it remains exposed. It's probably not going to be an issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

For

Can't:
         Go into hyperspace. I don't want you zipping around the universe like nyan cat and blasting everything in sight, before darting away again. Otherwise Mr. Crunchy will get you.
         Disobey any BZP rules. That just goes without saying.
         Completely change your vehicle. I will have customizations available, but you're not gonna turn your spacecraft into a death star.
         OP-ify your character. You aren't an unstoppable engine of destruction, and that's final.

Ships:

Each ship is the same, except for color and add-ons. The weaponry is also different on each model, although there are weapons that work on all times. They get treated just like people in combat (minus movement), so be cautious on how many dogfights you go into in a row, or you could explode. (or crash-land if you're close enough to a planet) You can also make a vehicle of any type, if it fits in one of the qualifications. After it's made, however, you can't customize it in such a radical way.

Each faction gets its own unique ship, and gets to fight other factions in other ships. Alliance with one faction doesn't give you the ship of the other, unless you're a Double Agent. In which case... You still only get one ship per character.

- 88B Letterwing -

The Letterwings are the space vehicle used by Empire Hand in combat. Durable, reasonably fast, and dangerous, these military destruction engines have two wings used to house the main weaponry for the vehicle.

Pending till next update.

Ship Weapons:

Ah, the weapons section for your little tin can.

Pending till next update.

-----

Junk Dealer

Ah, the Junk Dealer. The small planet of Mollog is the home world of several small, mysterious creatures that assist their leader to buy in collected junk (most of which is actually worth quite a bit) and resell it. Their leader is only known as the Junk Dealer. You can get an item out of him based on his mood, and how much the item(s) you give him are worth in his eyes. Any vehicle or gun from him will require lots of work, but will function like any other ship or weapon, and can be customized just the same. There's no currency, but you can find some interesting items on some planets.

-----

Mr. Crunchy

Mr. Crunchy is a mindless, monstrous, rock mass that loves nothing more than eating your ship. It's hard to drive away, and very dangerous. It tracks down lone ships that are not near their fleet, and gains mass from random chunks of rock and vehicles, using the weapon's charging clips to become bigger. Best advice: run.

Well, whaddya think? it needs lots of work, but I got some stuff updated. Also, if anyone can help with the sci-fi devices and weaponry, that would be most helpful.

Edited by Ghidora131

I'd recommend giving each major faction their own series of starfighters- it's make more sense since they've developed independently of each other and have different needs in warfare. If you want an example, take a look at Star Wars- the Rebel Alliance usually fights wig stuff like X-Wings, which are more heavily weaponised and have a hyperdrive, because the Rebels are ,well, rebels, and so their individual fighters need to be able to jump to hyperspace quickly without having to return to their capital ships, whereas the Imperials have ships all across the galaxy, have access to vast amounts of resources, and therefore don't need to worry about moving their starfighters around quickly and can easily replace them, so TIE Fighters don't have a hyperdrive and are fairly compact to make it easier to fit a lot of them on a Star Destroyer, and are also likely fairly cheap. Just something to think about there.

VBWj75sh.png

This is something that's been bugging me for a while, and like an idiot I only thought to bring it up now: A lot of the weapons honestly seem pretty low-tech when compared to existing Bionicle stuff, especially given that this game is presumably set in the distant future. 

For example, why would someone pick a buzzsaw Kanoka when they could use a powered one? Why use a laser rifle/pistol when they could resort to a Rhotuka or Zamor? Why do we need to wait to get access to exploding crossbow bolts, when even the landbound primitives of Bara Magna have access to exploding fruit launchers? 

• Upvote 2

How is the levelling going to work? I mean, in something like Corpus its easy, you've got a whole BS01 page on how kraata evolve like they're tiny evil Pokemon. But here? Is it just going to be promotions within a faction? What if you're in a player-run faction, are you going to over-rule the wishes of the people running it?

I can see a Matoran being "levelled up" into a Toa but that isn't going to work with any other species

• Upvote 1

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Must... resist... joke...

In all seriousness, though, these are some valid points that I would also be interested in seeing addressed.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I'd recommend giving each major faction their own series of starfighters- it's make more sense since they've developed independently of each other and have different needs in warfare. If you want an example, take a look at Star Wars- the Rebel Alliance usually fights wig stuff like X-Wings, which are more heavily weaponised and have a hyperdrive, because the Rebels are ,well, rebels, and so their individual fighters need to be able to jump to hyperspace quickly without having to return to their capital ships, whereas the Imperials have ships all across the galaxy, have access to vast amounts of resources, and therefore don't need to worry about moving their starfighters around quickly and can easily replace them, so TIE Fighters don't have a hyperdrive and are fairly compact to make it easier to fit a lot of them on a Star Destroyer, and are also likely fairly cheap. Just something to think about there.

Interesting thought. Honestly, the ships need a complete overhaul, and with a class involving Mindstorms EV3 coming up soon for me, i'll be working as hard as I can to get this completed.

This is something that's been bugging me for a while, and like an idiot I only thought to bring it up now: A lot of the weapons honestly seem pretty low-tech when compared to existing Bionicle stuff, especially given that this game is presumably set in the distant future.

For example, why would someone pick a buzzsaw Kanoka when they could use a powered one? Why use a laser rifle/pistol when they could resort to a Rhotuka or Zamor? Why do we need to wait to get access to exploding crossbow bolts, when even the landbound primitives of Bara Magna have access to exploding fruit launchers?

If people prefer the original Bionicle warfare devices, i'll revert back to those.

How is the levelling going to work? I mean, in something like Corpus its easy, you've got a whole BS01 page on how kraata evolve like they're tiny evil Pokemon. But here? Is it just going to be promotions within a faction? What if you're in a player-run faction, are you going to over-rule the wishes of the people running it?

I can see a Matoran being "levelled up" into a Toa but that isn't going to work with any other species

Player-run factions' players' leveling will be determined by the faction leader, and the faction leader will ask the GM for leveling permission. Levelling will be rank, and armour quality. No-one but the GM can overrule a faction leader's wishes.

tiny evil Pokémon.

You have just revolutionised my view on Rahkshi.

Must... resist... joke...

In all seriousness,

Might as well say it.

Round two. Tear it apart, people.

Welcome, friends, to the Frontier. Spherus Magna is getting back on it's feet, and you are one of many colonists of varying species aboard the mysterious mag-lev train discovered in the desert wastes. The remaining Toa from Mata Nui are preoccupied with defending the settlements from Bone Hunters and what's left of the Skrall. Agori legends say that on the other side of the tracks is a land rich and fertile, perfect for growing food. Along the way are perils and treasures of all kinds. What will you find?

The Engine Car: The head of the train, this car houses whatever force powers the train, and is manned by the Glatorian known only as, The Engineer.

The Dining Car: Here is where most of the passengers take their meals. The train provides three strains of a nutrient rich paste three times a day, as well as simple, clean water. The car is furnished with several rows of booths.

Bathroom Car: Self explanatory, contains means of waste disposal and showers.

Rest Car: This car contains rows of beds, two bunks per bed, and a footlocker and cabinet.

Aid Car: Contains a full medical facility, and is manned by an Agori from the fire tribe called Karta.

Rec Cars: The longest cars at the rear of the train, the rec cars include a gym, observation car, a library, storage, and most importantly, the Caboose.

The Caboose: This car at the very rear of the train is always sealed, what lies within is unknown, and attempts to open it have proved fruitless.

The Waste: Outside the train is an immense desert, filled with innumerable dangers. Without supplies, which the train does not provide, no being can last more than a few days. While not technically forbidden, leaving the train when in motion is widely considered a bad idea.

Rules:

2. That's it. Play fair, and there will be no problems.

Player model:

Species: What are you? You have your choice of Matoran, Agori, Vortixx, Glatorian, or Skakdi.

Description: What do you actually look like?

Gear: What did you bring with you on your person? This covers weapons and armor. The most modern weaponry is revolver pistols, and for the sake of safety, thornax launchers, elemental Skakdi weapons, and Cordak blasters are not permitted. All other weapons will be approved on a case by case basis.