The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I'm sorry, it's just all the things you said earlier I couldn't see how I could use to improve/change it, so it felt like you were just picking holes in it.

I haven't worked on species much because I've been working on other things. Like the Diggers and so on. Also writing an unrelated story. I'm not sure what I could do to improve it beyond adding more, though.

But that slots idea for Diggers could work. I'll look into it.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

Saying to take an RPG over to OTC is all well and dandy until you remember that it will last two months at best with half activity and probably kill somebody else's game just to get that far.

Plus I can think of three pretty popular RPGs off the top of my head that had absolutely massive differences from what one would normally call "Bionicle."

SnowyAegis, A little more Bionicle would not hurt the game. Probably help as a matter of fact. You could add in some protodermic tech to explain how the Diggers work or maybe make that neutral cavern some sort of religious place dedicated to the Great Beings or Mata Nui.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Well, when I wrote up the Digger equipment list earlier(haven't posted yet) I added things that let you mount Kanohi to grant your Digger abilities, like the Hau gives you an energy shield, the Komau is like a jammer, the Mask of Biomechanics slowly repairs damage and the Mahiki confuses FOF readings, and so on.

Honestly, I was going to explain the main engine and other things as running off a kind of bootleg Energized Protodermis.

The religious place also works too.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

Final Draft before sending it off to Request Topic.

Introduction- The Sands of Spherus Magna

Welcome to the frontier of a new world. Mata Nui is gone, and Spherus Magna is finally getting back on it's feet, and you are one of the volunteers to board the mysterious mag-lev train discovered near the newly formed settlement. The remaining Glatorian and the Toa from the Great Spirit Robot are preoccupied with defending the settlement from roving Bone HUnters, remains of the Skrall, and the Vorox, whose population has exploded since the reformation. No one is quite sure what lies on the other side of the tracks, though rumors abound of technology and fertile lands for crops. The wastes are not a forgiving place, however, and the journey is sure to fraught with peril and adventure. 

Setting/Locations

The train is simply called the Engine, and is a strange, self powered vehicle, though what exactly powers the craft is unknown, it is generally regarded to be a creation of the Great Beings. Nearly a Kio long, the Train is seperated into several cars, as follows:

The Engine: At the very head of the train lies the Engine, And inside stands the engineer, a completely robotic steward, who is as enigmatic as the train itself.

Cargo Flats: Between the engine and the rest of the cars are a dozen flat cars, clearly used for carrying cargo.

The Dining Cars: Three such cars contain two rows of booths and a central aisle. These booths each have an extruder through which is offered three equally indescribablely strange tasting strains of a nutrient paste, as well as fresh water.

Waste Car: Situated between the Dining and Rest Cars, this single car contains standard waste disposal and hygiene up keep devices. 

The Rest Cars: Three more cars here, with rows of bunk beds and foot lockers. 

The Aid Car: Little more than a refurbised Waste car, this car has been converted into an emergency medical supply, complete with a kindly Agori from the Fire Tribe named Karta.

The Observation Car: Here is the largest car, where most occupants spend their free time when not in their bunk. The observation car is long, and has numerous tables for all sorts of things, though mainly used for card games and the like. The car is two storied, with staris on either end leading to the second floor, where one can get a fantastic view of mostly sand and more sand.

The Caboose: This closed off car at the rear of the train serves an unknown purpose, and all attempts to open it have thus far been unsuccesful.

Outside the Engine lies the Wastes, a barren, and mostly lifeless desert.  No being can survive here for more than a few days, and while not strictly forbidden, leaving or being removed from the train is widely considered a death sentence.

NPC Characters

The Engineer- This robotic being is completely built into the Engine, and serves little purpose other than to keep the train moving.

Karta- A middle aged Agori, Karta has taken extensive time to understand the inner and outer workings of just about any species on Spherus Magna, and his knowledge on the medical arts is second only to his mentor. Still, there are wounds he cannot treat. Get injured badly enough, and the most he can do is comfort you while you die.

Weapons/Armor

A note on Tech, because this is important. Being that this is a largely exploratory mission, weapons are fairly limited. The Train is armed with one Cordak Blaster for defending the train if things get Hairy, but ammo is limited. Personal weapons shouldn't go above Rhotukas, and Gunpowder weapons are limited to simple, somewhat unweildy revolvers. Armor functions as normal, but don't expect to get by with a knight in shining armor sort of deal. These characters are traveling light. Melee wepons are open fare, go nuts.

Name: What are you gonna be called?

Species: What are you? You have your choice of Matoran, Agori, Vortixx, Glatorian, or Skakdi.

Gender: Are you a girl, or a boy? Or something in between? Or something else entirely?

Description: What do you actually look like?

Gear: What did you bring with you on your person? This covers weapons and armor, as well as any mementos and misc. stuff. 

Personality: What are you like? Mean? Funny? Kind?

Bio: From which walk of life are you from? What was your life before you boarded the Engine?

Rules

1. God modding is a no-no. This should go without saying, but such as it is, things like auto hitting, auto dodging, pulling super weapons out the wazoo, are all off limits.

2. Follow all the normal BZP forum rules. once again, should go without saying, but here it is in case you forget.

3. That's about it. Play fair, and there should be no problems!

4. Regarding Skakdi, Elemental powers do work, but -ONLY- in tandem with another Skakdi, and both Skakdi must be consenting.

Ah, I've been looking forward to the latest version of this. No issues are really jumping out at me, aside from this: I assume there's going to be more to the plot than "a bunch of randoms sit around and wait for a train to reach its destination"?

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Ah, of course. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

@The Other Other Alex:

I would suggest cleaning up your RPG before you submit it. :) Put your headlines in bold and make your separate sections easier to distinguish. Ideally, the RPG you submit to be approved should be able to be posted exactly as it is once it's approved, so it should look professional and be easy to read. You should have a list of the game's staff (you should have at least two staff members), profiles for any staff characters, and it's a good idea to have some visual content as well (maps, diagrams, etc.).

In addition to this, there are quite a few spelling and grammatical errors which should be fixed before submission. Here are three to serve as examples:

Spherus Magna is finally getting back on it's feet

roving Bone HUnters

the journey is sure to fraught

I would also recommend expanding your introduction to give us a clear idea of the RPG's world and the setting that players will be playing in. Some additional description of individual train cars would also be nice, and providing a map of their position and layouts would be even better.

For an example of an ideal RPG topic, check out Bionifight Infinite. The post opens with a graphic (snazzy, but not necessary) and an in-character introduction to give players an idea of the game's flavour. Following that, an out-of-character introduction to the RPG itself. The game's unique mechanics are then explained, maps, locations, and faction details are provided, and it wraps up with staff profiles and rules. Notice that all the sections of the topic are clearly separated with bold headers, and sub-divided with underlined text. I would recommend following this template as it makes the post easier to read.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck! :)

• Upvote 4

You should have a list of the game's staff (you should have at least two staff members)

Hm... are you sure about that one? Matoran Und Panzer and Corpus Rahkshi were both approved by the judges, despite having only a single staff member each. 

You should have a list of the game's staff (you should have at least two staff members)

Hm... are you sure about that one? Matoran Und Panzer and Corpus Rahkshi were both approved by the judges, despite having only a single staff member each. 

You're right; my wording there suggests it's a hard and fast rule when I meant it to be a strongly-worded suggestion. :P

While there's certainly nothing stopping the judges from approving an RPG with only one staff member, it's usually encouraged to have more than one as a failsafe against inactivity. You will have an easier time getting approval if you're not the only one at the helm (and, really, it's a good idea anyway). :)

Edited by Eyru

Ah, fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. 

With gunpowder weapons, instead of a loud revolver, is a slow, also loud rifle allowed? I don't mean an automatic weapon or one with a banana clip, obviously, but maybe it has two or three shots and is operated with a bolt or something. Just a question.

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

I mentioned a while back I was working on an RPG idea centering around airships, and while I've still got about a month left before I finish uni for the year and can really focus on it, I thought I'd throw up a draft of what I've got so far for everyone to look over:

Skyrise.

When the universe fell, we rose…

For millennia, the brothers Mata Nui and Makuta had fought and schemed for control over the Matoran Universe, but in the end it was all for nothing. It fell, never to rise again, and both of them fell with it. Their robot bodies were destroyed, the Mask of Life lost, buried and forgotten somewhere deep within the wreckage.

The denizens of the Matoran Universe found themselves stranded on the alien world of Bara Magna, a desert wasteland with scarce resources, and barely enough food and water to sustain its own dwindling population, let alone the new arrivals.

While some food remained within the ruins of the Matoran Universe, it soon began to die off as well, and too few Toa remained to produce enough food or water to provide for everyone.

Expeditions were sent to the far corners of Bara Magna to search for new places to settle, but with the Baterra roaming the Black Spike mountains, reptilian monstrosities prowling the forests of Bota Magna, and ancient sea beasts surfacing in Aqua Magna, many of those expeditions did not return.

Clearly, a new approach was needed…

The Story:

Welcome to Skyrise. In this world, Mata Nui was unable to restore Spherus Magna to its former glory, and the Mask of Life was lost. So, with the Matoran Universe in ruins and Bara Magna a wasteland, the populace have taken to the sky to search for new places to inhabit. The newly-reformed Spherus Magna is a big planet, after all, and much of it has yet to be explored.

Players will become part of one of numerous airborne expeditions that are currently exploring the planet - this one venturing out over the oceans of Aqua Magna in search of uninhabited islands to settle. This particular expedition consists of two specially built airships, with a number of other, regular vessels tethered to them.

As the expedition progresses, there will be plot developments both on and off the main vessels, with locations to explore, enemies to fight, conspiracies to foil, and much more.  

The Airships:

Utilising a complicated system of levitation and weight increase kanoka, each of the airships is controlled by pulleys that cause either the levitation or the weight increase Kanoka Disks to strike the Airship's framework, forcing the Airship to rise or fall. A portion of a transport Chute, capped at both ends, is built into the back of the Airship, providing forward thrust by letting a small portion of the pressurised Liquid Protodermis jet out from the back.

However, the two main vessels in this game - Lewa’s Legacy and The Mountain - are far bigger and more powerful than those found on Metru Nui. Both were custom built for this journey, but each with very different purposes in mind.

Lewa’s Legacy:

Named after the Toa Nuva of Air, presumed dead after the fall of Makuta, this is one of the largest airships ever built. A gleaming silver-white in colour, this airborne behemoth only has enough room to house around fifty crew, as most of the space is devoted to the cargo hold and hangar bay, as well as several laboratories and a mess hall.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

The first thing many people notice about the Legacy, however, is its distinct lack of armaments. Its companion The Mountain more than makes up for this…

The Mountain:

It’s name derived from a well-known bit of geography on Xia, this vessel was privately funded and constructed by the newly-formed Xiakaz Industries, a company founded by a particularly enterprising group of Vortixx and Skakdi. As one would expect of something built by those two peoples, it’s bristling with sophisticated weaponry and powerful technological enhancements.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

Faster and stronger than any other vessel in the sky, heavily armed and heavily armoured, the sole purpose of this ship and its 25-ish crew is to defend the expedition from any and all threats it might encounter.

Player-Made Airships:

In anticipation of players not wanting to make their characters part of the crew of one of these two vessels, the option exists for them to create their own ships and crews. However, to do so requires the involvement of at least three separate players, to avoid the issue of player spread.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

Able to house around a dozen crew, maximum, these airships are regular, run-of-the-mill cargo transport vessels identical to those found on Metru Nui, aside from whatever sorts of modifications the new crew have made, of course.

The Expedition:

As mentioned earlier, all vessels are tethered to the Legacy, in order to prevent the expedition from becoming separated. These tethers are made of some kind of unspecified magical plot material, which prevents ships from being cut adrift by any anarchic whackjob character who comes along. However, the captain/crew of the vessels can feel free to detach or reattach themselves at any time, in order to scout ahead, or go off on their own, or whatever.

Just don’t expect to get very far, since all of the expedition’s food and water is housed in the Legacy’s cargo hold, with Cargo Haulers constantly ferrying supplies back and forth between vessels. Travel between vessels and aerial combat are accomplished using various vehicles, most of them reverse-engineered from the technology salvaged from Karda Nui.

Aircraft:

• Jetpacks - utilised solely by Matoran, these are simple, sturdy devices. With in-built parachutes and enough energy to last roughly an hour, they can get up a decent amount of speed, and depending on the skill of the user, can be highly maneuverable.

• Skyfighters - again only able to be used by Matoran, these speedy, agile fighters are equipped with a single weapon. It is worth noting, however, that these glorified gliders are far from the most versatile of aircraft, and a few well-placed shots can easily knock them out of the sky.

• Rockoh - used primarily by Skakdi, as well as the occasional Vortixx, these stocky, armoured craft are equipped with enhanced engines, capable of putting on incredible bursts of speed in order to ram targets. As well as their characteristic rams, these craft are usually equipped with a single weapon.

• Jetrax - the perfect midpoint between speed, agility and firepower, these craft are used by both skakdi and vortixx. Capable of carrying three weapons, the Jetrax model’s most noteworthy vulnerabilities are its two bulky wing-mounted engines. In addition, although most of the vehicle is armoured, the cockpit is not, leaving the pilot somewhat exposed.

• Axalara - the biggest and heaviest of the vehicles being used by the fleet, it’s not as fast or agile as the Jetrax, but is much more heavily armoured. It can carry only two weapons, as it’s primary purpose is to serve as a bomber, deploying explosives from a hatch underneath to drop onto targets. This aircraft’s main drawback is that it’s pilot is left even more exposed than that of a Jetrax.

With the exception of jetpacks, all vehicles are equipped with teleportation devices that will automatically transport characters to the medbays of their home airship if their aircraft is destroyed, or they’re severely injured. This system is in place to prevent the rampant murdering of PCs, and hopefully stop people from godmodding to save their characters from death.

New or replacement aircraft, as well as upgrades to existing ones, can be obtained from staff NPCs such as the expedition leaders, usually in exchange for favours or as a reward for some kind of quest or mission.

Playable Species:

With the Toa all but wiped out, the few that remain have stayed on Bara Magna, doing their best to supply food, shelter and order for the many beings still struggling to get by in the desert wasteland. As such, the crew of these airships are composed of other races from Spherus Magna and the Matoran Universe.

• Matoran - possessing innate elemental attributes and reliant on wearing powerless Kanohi, these hardy villagers make up the bulk of the expedition’s members, as well as being the only ones who actually know how to pilot the airships.

• Turaga - Toa who have completed their destinies and given up the majority of their powers, a small number of them have also joined the expedition. They wear noble level Kanohi and have limited access to their elemental powers.

• Skakdi - a race of brutal warriors, prone to outbursts of violence and anger, skakdi serve as the muscle aboard The Mountain and other vessels. They have latent elemental abilities that only work in conjunction with another of their species, as well as vision powers and unique tertiary abilities.

• Vortixx - tall and imposing, brilliant and manipulative, these being lack any powers of their own, but are able to use Kanohi, and are technological geniuses.

• Agori/Glatorian - organic, mammalian inhabitants of Bara Magna, a few of these beings have also joined the expedition. Although they lack the know-how to operate most of the machinery, they are quick studies, and a few have even already taken to piloting aircraft.

• Custom/unlisted species, elements and powers will also be considered for approval.

Profile Templates:

Please use the following formats to set out your profiles when they’re submitted for approval.

Character:

Name: what they call themselves?

Species: what species are they?

Gender: do they identify as male, female, neither both, etc.

Powers: include here things like elemental affinity, vision powers, and so on.

Gear: this is where weapons, Kanohi, as well as things like Rhotuka/Zamors should be listed.

Personal Aircraft: if they have one, list it here. This includes jetpacks.

Airship: Which vessel’s crew do they belong to?

Appearance: pretty straightforward - what does your character look like?

Personality: a bit of description regarding what your character is like as a person.

Bio: Give us a bit of insight into your character’s past. Where did they come from, why did they decide to join the expedition, and so on.

Aircraft:

Name: what does your character call their craft?

Model: pretty self-explanatory, what type of craft is it?

Weaponry: what weapons does your craft have? Feel free to use canon weapons or come up with your own, but please try to be reasonable about it.

Appearance: What does the craft look like? Does it have a custom paint job, extra spikes, etc.

Player-made Airship:

Name: what is the name of this airship?

Pilot: which character serves as its pilot?

Crew: what other characters make up its crew? Must be at least two, in addition to the pilot.

Armaments: does this ship have any sort of additional weapons, armour, etc.? Please consider the limited resources that would have been available to accomplish this, and try not to go overboard.

Other: anything else you feel is worth noting about the vessel.

[staff NPCs TBA]

Rules:

1. Please use IC (in character) and OOC (out of character) tags in your posts. OOC-only posts should be limited solely to the discussion topic.

2. This is a pet peeve of mine, but please put both your character’s name and location in your posts. It’s confusing for other player seeking interaction, otherwise.

3. No god-modding, metagaming, fightbotting, autohitting, etc.

4. Please be considerate of other players, and recognise the distinction between OOC and IC. If someone’s character kills/injures/dislikes one of your characters, it doesn’t mean that their player has a personal problem with you.

5. Most importantly, have fun. At the end of the day it’s just a game, after all.

In particular, I'd love some feedback on the player-made airship idea. I remember back when Ghidora was pitching his space RPG, people were dissatisfied with the factions that were offered and wanted the option to make their own, so I was planning to leave an avenue to do so open in this game as well. That said, I'm worried that it might contribute too much towards player spread, and wonder if it might perhaps be simpler to keep players constrained to just the two main ships? 

Edited by Nato Greavesy
  • Upvote 2

I remember back when Ghidora was pitching his space RPG, people were dissatisfied with the factions that were offered and wanted the option to make their own, so I was planning to leave an avenue to do so open in this game as well. That said, I'm worried that it might contribute too much towards player spread, and wonder if it might perhaps be simpler to keep players constrained to just the two main ships?

You make it sound like ages ago...

No, i'm still working on it, i just haven't found the time. But i did have a few questions for this one:

What if i wanted to be my own faction? How would that work? I could use greater detail on what resources, weaponry, and technology i receive.

What if i'm a double agent? Am i allowed to go to and fro the main ships?

Will we be seeing some canyon chases? Because everyone loves canyon chases.

And could i go into space with one of these?

TIPS:

Specify on the strictness of allowing player factions. This way only the people who know what they're doing can start a faction and are responsible for whatever happens in it(aside from game-changing events. This is the same way it works in Frontier). Possibly before the launch of the game, you hire an "assistant GM" to run a player faction. This way you can still control all the main events while having that extra GM as help for getting the game approved.

A map of the world sooner is better. Not trying to rush you, but it should be one of your main concerns.

I'd also like to point out the Rockoh has the worst pilot armouring. Forced into a forwards position without even the frame of a windshield, it sticks the pilot's head right across the top of the vehicle, meaning a shot that skims across the top would be lethal.

And lastly, i love this idea of yours:

all vehicles are equipped with teleportation devices that will automatically transport characters to the medbays of their home airship if their aircraft is destroyed, or they’re severely injured.

Do you mind if i use it also in my space RPG?

FINAL THOUGHTS:

It honestly sounds like a redux of my space RPG, but with a new setting and different mechanics. Honestly i have barely anything i can see wrong with this, and you've covered nearly everything. Honestly, i'll hold off my space RPG to see this run, as 1) I'd like to let you have a chance and 2) it would prepare players for my RPG. And if there's any way i can help otherwise (maps, layout, etc.) i'd be more than happy to do so.

EDIT: Why did i say "honestly" so much in this?

Edited by Ghidora131

Final Draft before sending it off to Request Topic.

Introduction- The Sands of Spherus Magna

Welcome to the frontier of a new world. Mata Nui is gone, and Spherus Magna is finally getting back on it's feet, and you are one of the volunteers to board the mysterious mag-lev train discovered near the newly formed settlement. The remaining Glatorian and the Toa from the Great Spirit Robot are preoccupied with defending the settlement from roving Bone HUnters, remains of the Skrall, and the Vorox, whose population has exploded since the reformation. No one is quite sure what lies on the other side of the tracks, though rumors abound of technology and fertile lands for crops. The wastes are not a forgiving place, however, and the journey is sure to fraught with peril and adventure. 

So this train is just there? And we just get on it and go? Spooky. Certainly adds a level of tension to the player-GM interaction and overall plot. But I can't help feel it is a little barebones.

Setting/Locations

The train is simply called the Engine, and is a strange, self powered vehicle, though what exactly powers the craft is unknown, it is generally regarded to be a creation of the Great Beings. Nearly a Kio long, the Train is seperated into several cars, as follows:

The Engine: At the very head of the train lies the Engine, And inside stands the engineer, a completely robotic steward, who is as enigmatic as the train itself.

Cargo Flats: Between the engine and the rest of the cars are a dozen flat cars, clearly used for carrying cargo.

The Dining Cars: Three such cars contain two rows of booths and a central aisle. These booths each have an extruder through which is offered three equally indescribablely strange tasting strains of a nutrient paste, as well as fresh water.

Waste Car: Situated between the Dining and Rest Cars, this single car contains standard waste disposal and hygiene up keep devices. 

The Rest Cars: Three more cars here, with rows of bunk beds and foot lockers. 

The Aid Car: Little more than a refurbised Waste car, this car has been converted into an emergency medical supply, complete with a kindly Agori from the Fire Tribe named Karta.

The Observation Car: Here is the largest car, where most occupants spend their free time when not in their bunk. The observation car is long, and has numerous tables for all sorts of things, though mainly used for card games and the like. The car is two storied, with staris on either end leading to the second floor, where one can get a fantastic view of mostly sand and more sand.

The Caboose: This closed off car at the rear of the train serves an unknown purpose, and all attempts to open it have thus far been unsuccesful.

Outside the Engine lies the Wastes, a barren, and mostly lifeless desert.  No being can survive here for more than a few days, and while not strictly forbidden, leaving or being removed from the train is widely considered a death sentence.

Maybe a map? That would be lovely. Is it going to look like Snowpiercer by any chance?

NPC Characters

The Engineer- This robotic being is completely built into the Engine, and serves little purpose other than to keep the train moving.

Karta- A middle aged Agori, Karta has taken extensive time to understand the inner and outer workings of just about any species on Spherus Magna, and his knowledge on the medical arts is second only to his mentor. Still, there are wounds he cannot treat. Get injured badly enough, and the most he can do is comfort you while you die.

Weapons/Armor

A note on Tech, because this is important. Being that this is a largely exploratory mission, weapons are fairly limited. The Train is armed with one Cordak Blaster for defending the train if things get Hairy, but ammo is limited. Personal weapons shouldn't go above Rhotukas, and Gunpowder weapons are limited to simple, somewhat unweildy revolvers. Armor functions as normal, but don't expect to get by with a knight in shining armor sort of deal. These characters are traveling light. Melee wepons are open fare, go nuts.

Name: What are you gonna be called?

Species: What are you? You have your choice of Matoran, Agori, Vortixx, Glatorian, or Skakdi.

Gender: Are you a girl, or a boy? Or something in between? Or something else entirely?

Description: What do you actually look like?

Gear: What did you bring with you on your person? This covers weapons and armor, as well as any mementos and misc. stuff. 

Personality: What are you like? Mean? Funny? Kind?

Bio: From which walk of life are you from? What was your life before you boarded the Engine?

Rules

1. God modding is a no-no. This should go without saying, but such as it is, things like auto hitting, auto dodging, pulling super weapons out the wazoo, are all off limits.

2. Follow all the normal BZP forum rules. once again, should go without saying, but here it is in case you forget.

3. That's about it. Play fair, and there should be no problems!

4. Regarding Skakdi, Elemental powers do work, but -ONLY- in tandem with another Skakdi, and both Skakdi must be consenting.
Feels like Rule number four should be second, and rules two and three need to move down a number each. Moving from game specific rules to forums rules to general having fun rules.

Would love to play this one, but without a steady flow of GM interaction and plot devices, this train could get derailed.

I mentioned a while back I was working on an RPG idea centering around airships, and while I've still got about a month left before I finish uni for the year and can really focus on it, I thought I'd throw up a draft of what I've got so far for everyone to look over:

Skyrise.

When the universe fell, we rose…

For millennia, the brothers Mata Nui and Makuta had fought and schemed for control over the Matoran Universe, but in the end it was all for nothing. It fell, never to rise again, and both of them fell with it. Their robot bodies were destroyed, the Mask of Life lost, buried and forgotten somewhere deep within the wreckage.

The denizens of the Matoran Universe found themselves stranded on the alien world of Bara Magna, a desert wasteland with scarce resources, and barely enough food and water to sustain its own dwindling population, let alone the new arrivals.

While some food remained within the ruins of the Matoran Universe, it soon began to die off as well, and too few Toa remained to produce enough food or water to provide for everyone.

Expeditions were sent to the far corners of Bara Magna to search for new places to settle, but with the Baterra roaming the Black Spike mountains, reptilian monstrosities prowling the forests of Bota Magna, and ancient sea beasts surfacing in Aqua Magna, many of those expeditions did not return.

Clearly, a new approach was needed…

The Story:

Welcome to Skyrise. In this world, Mata Nui was unable to restore Spherus Magna to its former glory, and the Mask of Life was lost. So, with the Matoran Universe in ruins and Bara Magna a wasteland, the populace have taken to the sky to search for new places to inhabit. The newly-reformed Spherus Magna is a big planet, after all, and much of it has yet to be explored.

Players will become part of one of numerous airborne expeditions that are currently exploring the planet - this one venturing out over the oceans of Aqua Magna in search of uninhabited islands to settle. This particular expedition consists of two specially built airships, with a number of other, regular vessels tethered to them.

As the expedition progresses, there will be plot developments both on and off the main vessels, with locations to explore, enemies to fight, conspiracies to foil, and much more.  

The Airships:

Utilising a complicated system of levitation and weight increase kanoka, each of the airships is controlled by pulleys that cause either the levitation or the weight increase Kanoka Disks to strike the Airship's framework, forcing the Airship to rise or fall. A portion of a transport Chute, capped at both ends, is built into the back of the Airship, providing forward thrust by letting a small portion of the pressurised Liquid Protodermis jet out from the back.

Where does all this Liquid Protodermis come from? Are there vast stores of it onboard? Also, "pressurized."

However, the two main vessels in this game - Lewa’s Legacy and The Mountain - are far bigger and more powerful than those found on Metru Nui. Both were custom built for this journey, but each with very different purposes in mind.

Lewa’s Legacy:

Named after the Toa Nuva of Air, presumed dead after the fall of Makuta, this is one of the largest airships ever built. A gleaming silver-white in colour, this airborne behemoth only has enough room to house around fifty crew, as most of the space is devoted to the cargo hold and hangar bay, as well as several laboratories and a mess hall.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

The first thing many people notice about the Legacy, however, is its distinct lack of armaments. Its companion The Mountain more than makes up for this…

The Mountain:

It’s name derived from a well-known bit of geography on Xia, this vessel was privately funded and constructed by the newly-formed Xiakaz Industries, a company founded by a particularly enterprising group of Vortixx and Skakdi. As one would expect of something built by those two peoples, it’s bristling with sophisticated weaponry and powerful technological enhancements.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

Faster and stronger than any other vessel in the sky, heavily armed and heavily armoured, the sole purpose of this ship and its 25-ish crew is to defend the expedition from any and all threats it might encounter.

"Armored." Unless that wasn't a spelling mistake but just how you spell it. Wasn't sure.

Player-Made Airships:

In anticipation of players not wanting to make their characters part of the crew of one of these two vessels, the option exists for them to create their own ships and crews. However, to do so requires the involvement of at least three separate players, to avoid the issue of player spread.

[Layout Diagram TBA]

Able to house around a dozen crew, maximum, these airships are regular, run-of-the-mill cargo transport vessels identical to those found on Metru Nui, aside from whatever sorts of modifications the new crew have made, of course.

The Expedition:

As mentioned earlier, all vessels are tethered to the Legacy, in order to prevent the expedition from becoming separated. These tethers are made of some kind of unspecified magical plot material, which prevents ships from being cut adrift by any anarchic whackjob character who comes along. However, the captain/crew of the vessels can feel free to detach or reattach themselves at any time, in order to scout ahead, or go off on their own, or whatever.

Just don’t expect to get very far, since all of the expedition’s food and water is housed in the Legacy’s cargo hold, with Cargo Haulers constantly ferrying supplies back and forth between vessels. Travel between vessels and aerial combat are accomplished using various vehicles, most of them reverse-engineered from the technology salvaged from Karda Nui.

Aircraft:

• Jetpacks - utilised solely by Matoran, these are simple, sturdy devices. With in-built parachutes and enough energy to last roughly an hour, they can get up a decent amount of speed, and depending on the skill of the user, can be highly maneuverable.

• Skyfighters - again only able to be used by Matoran, these speedy, agile fighters are equipped with a single weapon. It is worth noting, however, that these glorified gliders are far from the most versatile of aircraft, and a few well-placed shots can easily knock them out of the sky.

• Rockoh - used primarily by Skakdi, as well as the occasional Vortixx, these stocky, armoured craft are equipped with enhanced engines, capable of putting on incredible bursts of speed in order to ram targets. As well as their characteristic rams, these craft are usually equipped with a single weapon.

• Jetrax - the perfect midpoint between speed, agility and firepower, these craft are used by both skakdi and vortixx. Capable of carrying three weapons, the Jetrax model’s most noteworthy vulnerabilities are its two bulky wing-mounted engines. In addition, although most of the vehicle is armoured, the cockpit is not, leaving the pilot somewhat exposed.

• Axalara - the biggest and heaviest of the vehicles being used by the fleet, it’s not as fast or agile as the Jetrax, but is much more heavily armoured. It can carry only two weapons, as it’s primary purpose is to serve as a bomber, deploying explosives from a hatch underneath to drop onto targets. This aircraft’s main drawback is that it’s pilot is left even more exposed than that of a Jetrax.

With the exception of jetpacks, all vehicles are equipped with teleportation devices that will automatically transport characters to the medbays of their home airship if their aircraft is destroyed, or they’re severely injured. This system is in place to prevent the rampant murdering of PCs, and hopefully stop people from godmodding to save their characters from death.

New or replacement aircraft, as well as upgrades to existing ones, can be obtained from staff NPCs such as the expedition leaders, usually in exchange for favours or as a reward for some kind of quest or mission.

Playable Species:

With the Toa all but wiped out, the few that remain have stayed on Bara Magna, doing their best to supply food, shelter and order for the many beings still struggling to get by in the desert wasteland. As such, the crew of these airships are composed of other races from Spherus Magna and the Matoran Universe.

• Matoran - possessing innate elemental attributes and reliant on wearing powerless Kanohi, these hardy villagers make up the bulk of the expedition’s members, as well as being the only ones who actually know how to pilot the airships.

• Turaga - Toa who have completed their destinies and given up the majority of their powers, a small number of them have also joined the expedition. They wear noble level Kanohi and have limited access to their elemental powers.

• Skakdi - a race of brutal warriors, prone to outbursts of violence and anger, skakdi serve as the muscle aboard The Mountain and other vessels. They have latent elemental abilities that only work in conjunction with another of their species, as well as vision powers and unique tertiary abilities.

• Vortixx - tall and imposing, brilliant and manipulative, these being lack any powers of their own, but are able to use Kanohi, and are technological geniuses.

• Agori/Glatorian - organic, mammalian inhabitants of Bara Magna, a few of these beings have also joined the expedition. Although they lack the know-how to operate most of the machinery, they are quick studies, and a few have even already taken to piloting aircraft.

• Custom/unlisted species, elements and powers will also be considered for approval.

Profile Templates:

Please use the following formats to set out your profiles when they’re submitted for approval.

Character:

Name: what they call themselves?

Species: what species are they?

Gender: do they identify as male, female, neither both, etc.

Powers: include here things like elemental affinity, vision powers, and so on.

Gear: this is where weapons, Kanohi, as well as things like Rhotuka/Zamors should be listed.

Personal Aircraft: if they have one, list it here. This includes jetpacks.

Airship: Which vessel’s crew do they belong to?

Appearance: pretty straightforward - what does your character look like?

Personality: a bit of description regarding what your character is like as a person.

Bio: Give us a bit of insight into your character’s past. Where did they come from, why did they decide to join the expedition, and so on.

Aircraft:

Name: what does your character call their craft?

Model: pretty self-explanatory, what type of craft is it?

Weaponry: what weapons does your craft have? Feel free to use canon weapons or come up with your own, but please try to be reasonable about it.

Appearance: What does the craft look like? Does it have a custom paint job, extra spikes, etc.

Player-made Airship:

Name: what is the name of this airship?

Pilot: which character serves as its pilot?

Crew: what other characters make up its crew? Must be at least two, in addition to the pilot.

Armaments: does this ship have any sort of additional weapons, armour, etc.? Please consider the limited resources that would have been available to accomplish this, and try not to go overboard.

Other: anything else you feel is worth noting about the vessel.

[staff NPCs TBA]

Rules:

1. Please use IC (in character) and OOC (out of character) tags in your posts. OOC-only posts should be limited solely to the discussion topic.

2. This is a pet peeve of mine, but please put both your character’s name and location in your posts. It’s confusing for other player seeking interaction, otherwise.

3. No god-modding, metagaming, fightbotting, autohitting, etc.

4. Please be considerate of other players, and recognise the distinction between OOC and IC. If someone’s character kills/injures/dislikes one of your characters, it doesn’t mean that their player has a personal problem with you.

5. Most importantly, have fun. At the end of the day it’s just a game, after all. The most important rule of all.

In particular, I'd love some feedback on the player-made airship idea. I remember back when Ghidora was pitching his space RPG, people were dissatisfied with the factions that were offered and wanted the option to make their own, so I was planning to leave an avenue to do so open in this game as well. That said, I'm worried that it might contribute too much towards player spread, and wonder if it might perhaps be simpler to keep players constrained to just the two main ships? 

Player made airships are a great idea. But might have the side-effect of everybody being on their own airships and nobody being on the two primary airships. A small possibility, but a possibility nevertheless. I would keep them constrained to the two main ships. I imagine everybody on the ships are volunteers, and as thus, are going to stick with it. I would love to see a third, mysterious giant airship showing up, or perhaps the main fleet separating over some disagreement, like Battlestar Galatica. 

Nato is spelling armoured the way the good creators of the English language always intended for it to be spelled.

I respectfully disagree. But the point is beside the overall, bigger point.

Well if you're going to be picky, I'm going to point out that the -our way of spelling things (see also flavour, honour etc.) is derived from Norman French after those aforementioned Normans went and invaded us in 1066 and brought their language with them. The American -or way of spelling things is derived from Webster in the early 1800s, who I believe felt it was neater to try and get closer to the words original Latin roots. So while his manner of spelling does have some logic behind it (unlike, for example, the British pronunciation of lieutenant which is based entirely on an old spelling mistake) it is not how the language developed naturally which means Lucina is actually correct. 

Taste the A-Level English, you heathen ex-colonials :P

@Sands: You might want to include some more details on the tech. Are the two universes sharing tech or can Glatorian only have Glatorian tools and Matoran only have Matoran tools? Could a Glatorian be wearing a Kanohi or a Matoran wield an elementally charged Spherus Magna weapon, for example? 

And speaking of elementally charged weapons, what kind of boundaries would there be on them? If I had an archer character would only the bow have charge, or could each individual arrow have a power?

Also just realising how large those carriages must be. I realise the train's length isn't going to be distributed the same for all of them, but on average it means each one is about 200ft long. Is more of the train's close-to-a-mile-long bulk spent on the empty cargo cars than the rest cars, or are they really just freaking huge?

@Skyrise: Since we're going for a sort of random encounter thing going, could be worth hinting what else might be out in the middle of an endless ocean. Seems like we'd just be flying out over a lot of water without much excitement so a reference to, I don't know a past expedition that never returned or something, would rack up tension a bit

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Those are all excellent points that I didn't consider. While I'm sure tech could be shared, I'm probably going to limit any elemental powers to Skakdi, in the interest of avoiding power creep later in the games life.

The Cars do vary in length, but each of them of at least twenty feet across. The Cargo flats are easily the longest, And as for the other cars, well......

They're as big as they need to be for the amount of characters!

Through.... mysterious space bending Great Being Technology.....

While I like Nato's RPG from a world-building perspective, it's another "trust me, I have conflict" deal. At least Ghidora's RPG, for all of its flaws, indicated that we were going to have a conflict, even if that is going to a be long and kinda boring "my army hates your army because my army hates your army" type thingy.

I really wish that conflict points were included better in drafts.  

• Upvote 1

What if i wanted to be my own faction? How would that work? I could use greater detail on what resources, weaponry, and technology i receive.

There aren't really factions, per se, in Skyrise. It's one expedition - everyone's more or less on the same side. The Legacy provides the food and provisions, while The Mountain handles weapons, repairs, etc. 

What if i'm a double agent? Am i allowed to go to and fro the main ships?

Travel between ships is allowed, yeah. Obviously characters would get in trouble if they're caught poking around in areas they shouldn't be. 

Will we be seeing some canyon chases? Because everyone loves canyon chases.

I'll add "canyon chase" to the list.

And could i go into space with one of these?

No. 

A map of the world sooner is better. Not trying to rush you, but it should be one of your main concerns.

Hm... yeah, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. Having a map would ruin some of the plot points I have planned, plus it's supposed to be an unexplored region anyway, so no maps would exist in the first place. 

And lastly, i love this idea of yours:

all vehicles are equipped with teleportation devices that will automatically transport characters to the medbays of their home airship if their aircraft is destroyed, or they’re severely injured.

Do you mind if i use it also in my space RPG?

Um... if you really can't come up with an original idea of your own, I guess...

FINAL THOUGHTS:

It honestly sounds like a redux of my space RPG, but with a new setting and different mechanics. 

Oh, okay. That wasn't really my intention, I apologise. 

Where does all this Liquid Protodermis come from? Are there vast stores of it onboard? 

Yes, there would be vast stores of the stuff (read: as much as the plot requires) on each ship. Same as normal aircraft and vehicles have fuel tanks. 

Also, "pressurized." "Armored." Unless that wasn't a spelling mistake but just how you spell it. Wasn't sure.

I'm Australian, that's how we spell those words. 

Player made airships are a great idea. But might have the side-effect of everybody being on their own airships and nobody being on the two primary airships. A small possibility, but a possibility nevertheless. I would keep them constrained to the two main ships. I imagine everybody on the ships are volunteers, and as thus, are going to stick with it.

Good points. I'll definitely take that into consideration. 

I would love to see a third, mysterious giant airship showing up, or perhaps the main fleet separating over some disagreement, like Battlestar Galatica. 

Encounters with other vessels are definitely on the cards, but separating the main fleet likely isn't going to happen, since one of them produces all of the food and water, and the other has all of the guns. 

@Skyrise: Since we're going for a sort of random encounter thing going, could be worth hinting what else might be out in the middle of an endless ocean. Seems like we'd just be flying out over a lot of water without much excitement so a reference to, I don't know a past expedition that never returned or something, would rack up tension a bit

Actually, I was considering something like that just last night after Chumpu said something to me about Air Pirates.

While I like Nato's RPG from a world-building perspective, it's another "trust me, I have conflict" deal. 

I have a pretty in-depth plot lined up involving - among other things I'd rather not spoil - a lot of tension between the captains of the main vessels, but I'm also compiling a list of other side events that can occur in the meantime to keep the game interesting. 

• Marauding Rahi (probably Klakk or something, so players can have proper dogfights).
  • ​Mysterious islands to explore (expect loot and rewards).
  • Floating fortresses created by the Great Beings (with more loot).
  • Sabotage on one/both the main vessels. 
  • Bad weather (storms, cyclones, etc.) 
  • Pirates/rogue airships (again, expect lots of fun aerial combat). 
  • Canyon chase of some kind (courtesy of Ghidora). 
  • I'd certainly be open to other suggestions. 
Edited by Nato Greavesy

While I like Nato's RPG from a world-building perspective, it's another "trust me, I have conflict" deal. At least Ghidora's RPG, for all of its flaws, indicated that we were going to have a conflict, even if that is going to a be long and kinda boring "my army hates your army because my army hates your army" type thingy.

I really wish that conflict points were included better in drafts.

Good point. But a conflict isn't any good if the writer directing the conflict can't direct for sh...sharks.

Even a long and boring "my army hates your army" can be done spectacularly well, if the talent is behind it.

A conflict-less RPG is tricky to get behind and takes faith in the GM, but in the many I have played(off-site), I have yet to meet one that left me dissatisfied.

@English-Lessons:

Well, to quote Robert Downey Jr.: "I'm an ugly American!"

Good point. But a conflict isn't any good if the writer directing the conflict can't direct for sh...sharks.

Somehow I don't think this will be a problem for Nato. He does that pretty good, even when he isn't a GM.

Even a long and boring "my army hates your army" can be done spectacularly well, if the talent is behind it.

It depends on WHY one army hates the other. A talented individual will have thought that up, or will be able to improvise that reason out of the hat quickly when it is needed.

Skyrise sounds more and more like Battlestar Galactica the more it gets expanded on.

Poeple have brought up pretty much all the points I was going to. However I would like to point out that they are flying above an ocean, they really don't need to rely on the massive tanks of the main supply ship. With tech as advanced as that in the MU turning the salt water in to drinking water is a piece of cake.

Also it's kind of like flying over an ocean of oil.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Skyrise sounds more and more like Battlestar Galactica the more it gets expanded on.

I know pretty much nothing at all about Battlestar Galactica, so any similarities are unintentional. 

However I would like to point out that they are flying above an ocean, they really don't need to rely on the massive tanks of the main supply ship. With tech as advanced as that in the MU turning the salt water in to drinking water is a piece of cake.

I actually hadn't considered that, but you make a good point. 

I think the Matoran Civil War would be a bit too big of a topic for an RPG to cover, unless it was just part of the background for a more specific, localised plot. 

Eh, that's not really true. you could totally make a great RPG about the Matoran Civil War.

I know the fact that it's called a war makes player spread seem unavoidable but it's really just a matter of managing areas of interest well. Everybody wants to be part of the big important battle, just make it so that the players have a part in deciding which side wins and you have a solid month of enjoyable gameplay.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Ark #351 V.0.67. Locations still need to be added. Debating on adding third GM character. Criticism welcome.

My father was a Glatorian, as was his father before him. I can still remember the crowds chanting his name when he won. I can remember the hissing crowds when he lost. But he was my hero, every time.

It wasn't long after that, his loss, war broke out. Giant gods came from the sky and held battle. My father went out and fought against alien creatures that poured from their feet. I don't know to this day if he died in combat or when the planet shattered for the second time.

My mother and me were lucky, I guess. Pulled off the planet and given a place on the larger of the gods. Many of my village made it aboard but many villages went dead that day. The god's body grew crowded, quickly. It began to support millions more than it was ever supposed to support. Fights between my people and theirs grew common. War seemed the answer.

But then the ruling Council created the Arks: Large ships designed to take a large portion of the population away, out into the void of space. The goal was for them to find a new planet, a new home, to grow and live on. It solved the population issues....but there was always something about the whole thing....something off. That's not important though.

And now I, Grotez, am the Captain of Ark #351. You are a passenger. I hope you brought something to the table, because there's nothing pretty about space. That black and blue will kill you if you let it. Welcome to Ark #351.

Good luck.

….........Loading

…..........Loading

>FileName: Ark#351.7979997

>Load:NewPassengerInstructions – Ark#351

…..........Loading

…..........Loading

>Loaded:

New Passenger of Ark #351:

Prepare yourself for a journey of a lifetime. The risks are high, but so is the reward. We will depend on you, and your fellow passengers, to carry on our collected species. Failure is not an option.

Thank you,

Chrona

>Load:InProcessing – Ark #351

Passenger,

Before you come aboard, we need information about you. Please fill the following form correctly and completely:

Name:(First name is required, last name is optional.)

Species:(Are you: Toa, Matoran, Vortixx, Skakdi, Agori, Glatorian, or Skrall?)

Former Occupation:(What did you do before being selected for the Ark?)

Occupation:(Leave blank. All passengers are given new ones aboard.)

Powers/Abilities/Skills:(List all powers and skills. Anything from control of fire to guitar playing.)

Personality:(Two sentences is required..)

Biography:(What was your life like before the Ark? Two sentences or more.)

Appearance:(Picture or detailed description. Two sentences or more.)

Gear:(What are you bringing with you? Weapons are forbidden for safety.)

Once completed, post here(Insert link to discussion topic) and continue reviewing New Passenger Instructions.

>Load:BridgeCrew – Ark #351

Passenger,

The following is the Chief Crew Members for Ark #351. Take note and obey their orders; the mission rests on their shoulders.

>Load:CrewGrotez

Name: Grotez

Species: Glatorian of Jungle

Former Occupation: Fighter-In-Training, Farmer

Powers/Abilities/Skills: Adept Fighter, Leadership Skills, Amateur Mechanic

Personality:

Grotez is a calm being, realizing that the life he has been dealt is the one he will have to live with, and as such makes the most of it. Slow to anger, he prefers to handle situations diplomatically. He has seen great bloodshed and the horrors of conflict and war; he doesn't shy away from confrontation nor dangerous situations, but he will do what he can to get the best end result possible.

Biography:

Grotez is the son of a Glatorian warrior that fought in the arenas of Bara Magma. Very proud of his father, Grotez hoped to follow his footsteps into the arena, but his mother encouraged him to take up farming in his spare time, as it was safer and provided a more steady living.

Sometime before he finished training and would be accepted into the Jungle Tribe's ranks of warriors, the Great Shattering happened. Grotez's father went out to battle against the swarms of Rahkshi and never returned from the battle. Grotez's mother convinced him to stay and guard the village they lived in, and as a result they were both rescued from the planet surface into the god's body.

He became a farmer in the new lands, working at producing food for the swollen population. His skills and talents at leadership quickly moved him up to overseeing the production of several dozen farms on several islands. As the Ark program started, he was put on a list of potential captains. 350 Arks later, he was selected. Currently residing in Ark #351.

Appearance:

Grotez is well into his middle-age, and his physical being certainly reflects that: Wrinkles have found their place about his bronze eyes and his gray-green body isn't quite as muscular as it once was. He is average height of the Glatorian species, but has traded the armor of his people for a creased, navy uniform of the Ark program. His proudly has a pair of rough, scarred hands; a sign of his hard work and sacrifice.

Gear: Various electronic gear and folders to operate and run the Ark.

>Load:CrewChrona

Name: Chrona

Species: Artificial Intelligence

Operation Functions:

Chrona is the A.I. of Ark #351. Updated from the previous A.I. model, Ark #351 will be its first maiden voyage. Chrona manages ship speed, rationing, life support systems, population count, ship log, ship manifest, and the vast majority of electronic based systems aboard.

LOCATIONS WIP. INCLUDES:

Bridge

Sleeping Quarters

DFAC

Medical Bay

Gym

Library

Star Room

Life Support

Cargo

(Still working on adding or removing locations for the ship.)