The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I definitely agree that a Matoran-only game would make more sense both thematically and in practice. My only qualm while designing this RPG was that a lot of players might not appreciate only being allowed to play Matoran. I'm just not sure how much of a demand there would be for a game where you can only play as the little guys (even though they're awesome).

A matoran-only RPG would definitely be more interesting and unique imo, not to mention fitting with the theme and setup a bit better.

• Upvote 1

Kathok

Don't get your jimmies rustled, Ghidora.

If the joke wasn't obvious, I wholeheartedly support Wasteland as a Matoran-only RPG. Having only the little guys around would get rid of all the fancy powers, meaning fewer complications, exploits and inconsistencies down the road. 

Besides, like Wyrd said, having Toa around would be like playing the game on easy mode. In a setting as alien and bare as this one, having elemental and Kanohi powers would only downplay its nitty gritty, survivalist nature. Nevermind that powers are super useful in a wide variety of situations, but they're equally great for combat and trump most, if not all ordinary weapons you could find. If you threw something our way, like monsters, psychos or whatever, the threat of danger would be less real because we're presented with all these cool ways to deal with it easy peasy. Light it on fire? Go ahead. Cripple it with rocks? Sure. Got a Kakama, Kadin or Huna and feel like nopeing out of there? No problemo. The list goes on. 

From a Matoran's point of view however, the world's a lot more intimidating. Games like these usually involve a fair bit of risk, and I find that to be successful in them, you have to think smart, creatively and on your feet, which is a lot harder when you've got nothing but your mind, a rusty butter knife, a roll of duct tape and maybe a few shifty allies at your disposal. It's more serious for these guys than for powerful beings who can toss around plasma and teleport like it's nothing. In my mind, that would certainly help to keep this game interesting in the long run.

So yeah.

My demand is the only demand you need.

Wow I don't post here enough

• Upvote 2

<snip>

Wish I could upvote this more than once. I don't have anything to add to what Wade said, but I do want to make sure my support for his standpoint and opinion is noted. Not because it's his opinion, you understand, but because I was going to say the exact same thing only I didn't get around to it in time.

Not that I'm bitter. :P

#matoranFTW

I think the canon Federation didn't try to run off because Brutaka was right there all the time and its hard to run from a guy who can create portals to anywhere with his mind. And even that didn't stop Spiriah from trying to get out of it. Given that the team of the RPG is going to be split up a lot more, heading out on different missions, Brutaka can't personally watch all of them at once, so you're going to need some other way of keeping them in line.

When did I say they would split up? The idea was that the entire team would stay together. True, that might lead to the caravan becoming cramped, but large vehicles are cheaper than they were back in Bara Magna. And easier to steal.

<snip>

Wish I could upvote this more than once. I don't have anything to add to what Wade said, but I do want to make sure my support for his standpoint and opinion is noted. Not because it's his opinion, you understand, but because I was going to say the exact same thing only I didn't get around to it in time.

Not that I'm bitter. :P

#matoranFTW

Do not worry Shadowhawk, for I am here to upvote it for you!

(and also because I too agree)

I definitely agree that a Matoran-only game would make more sense both thematically and in practice. My only qualm while designing this RPG was that a lot of players might not appreciate only being allowed to play Matoran. I'm just not sure how much of a demand there would be for a game where you can only play as the little guys (even though they're awesome).

Sure, there are some adjustments I could make to allow Toa. Maybe give the Queen a little army of Toa who make sure she stays in power, or limit the elemental abilities of PC Toa. But you're 100% right: Matoran just make more sense.

I haven't had time for a thorough reading yet, but if I may interject a moment; Matoran only would likely make the most sense but there is a third way to handle this. If you're still concerned about alienating players by limiting them to only Matoran, you can pick out the elements that would be most setting-breaking and state that they are virtually extinct due to fighting over their abilities, or because the Queen specifically eliminated or recruited them.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Suggested something similar on the previous page.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Panzer gave Matoran somewhere near Turaga-level (Tiragath might want to pitch in here, as I'm not sure how accurate this is) powers through technology, namely the wearable EDD devices, back when it was still up and running. Perhaps instituting something along those lines could be a viable solution?

That way, you could keep the Matoran-only theme, players would still have to work harder to keep their characters alive, and the RPG would attract players who like powered characters without having to worry about Ko or Ga-Matoran upsetting the balance too much, as they could only really exploit the system for their own individual benefit at best.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Hinga Nui-Fallen City(still deciding...)

INTRO:

Miserix paced the length of his chamber, brow furrowed. The news from the north was troubling; The Matoran have picked up arms over petty trade disputes, and threatened the entire universe with their warring. They abandoned their duty to the Great Spirit, but Miserix knew his: Protect the Universe while Mata Nui did his duty.....whatever it was.

He pushed those thoughts out of his mind as he turned and approached his desk, a series of maps and reports laid across it. He narrowed his eyes; The League of Five Kingdoms had pushed in two directions, towards Xia and Destral. Teridex left with most of the Brotherhood's forces to stop them before they took Xia, an important stepping stone to the south. The last report that came in wasn't pleasing: Takadox was discovered to be a spy for the Brotherhood and was now dead, his portion of the Kingdoms' conquests split between the remaining five. That ended any form of foresight into the League's movements.

The door pushed open, and an aide rushed in, report in his out-stretched hands. Miserix took it without a word of thanks and scanned it quickly. His faced paled as he finished it. “Mata Nui....”

Teridex was dead. The League ambushed his forces and scattered them. The League was marching on Destral to destroy the Brotherhood. Miserix looked up at the aide. “Summon the others. We either march to battle or we die here, and I will not fall hiding in this fortress.” The aide saluted and rushed out. Miserix turned to look at the map of Metru-Nui on the wall and sighed. The Matoran would have to wait.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The League of Five Kingdoms marches on Destral, and has occupied the Brotherhood's attention. Without the intervention of the Brotherhood in Metru-Nui, the Civil War has spiraled downwards into deeper chaos.

Ta-Matoran against Po-Matoran, Onu-Matoran against Le-Matoran, Ga-Matoran against Ko-Matoran, which side will you take?

CURRENT EVENTS/QUESTS/DEATHS:

INTRO/YOUR ROLE:

It has been over a year since the start of the Matoran Civil War, and everything is changed: Chutes are down, electricity is sporadic, and your old friend from another Metru is now trying to collect your head.

Jaller of Ta-Metru, Ahkmou of Po-Metru, Marvah of Onu-Metru, Kongu of Le-Metru, Macku of Ga-Metru, and Nuju of Ko-Metru have consolidated control of their armies and their districts. The Alliances formed at the start of this war have fallen away to six independent belligerents; Uncertainty clouds a hopeful future.

As a Matoran trapped in this nightmare, you will fight and you may die. You reap the benefits of victory and weep bitter tears in defeat. You are a soldier, a historian, a survivor. Do what needs to be done for your Metru.

Everything is permitted except defeat.

LOCATIONS:

Ta-Metru:

Once the bustling center of masks and tools, the Metru of Fire has changed their production standards to armor and weapons. Every building that can produce some good is spewing black smoke into the sky, giving Ta-Metru a dirty feel in the air. Most surfaces are darkened, and the once gleaming red towers are now black and ill looking, an analogy for most of the city.

The citizens of the Metru are dirty and weary, the long hours at the forges leaves them little time for rest. Complaints of a cough circulate the Metru, but officially no such thing exists. The streets are crowded as one moves into the center of the city, leaving the outskirts are all but abandoned. Don't mistake it for easy raiding though; it's thick with landmines and traps.

Jaller, a former Mask Maker, has claimed leadership of the district. He has clamped down on the production, increasing quotas for weapons and armor, while constantly pulling fresh recruits into his army. One would be unwise to grumble however; a reward system has been put into place for calling out dissenters.

Po-Metru:

The once empty plains of Po-Metru's Sculpture Field have become thick with camps and bonfires; a sign that this is no longer a united city. Easily the most militant of the districts, all direct access points to Po-Metru have been either sealed with large pieces of rubble or are so heavily guarded, any form of attack is suicide. Metal is precious here, and many citizens are turning over metal trinkets, whether willingly or by force, to melt down for weapons.

All citizens of Po-Metru understand the need to protect themselves, and this has resulted in a swelling of the army. Craftsman have become engineers and Carvers have become weaponsmiths. A lesser populated Metru, but it does boast the largest standing army.

Akhmou is confident in his rule, but little has been seen of him since the alliances fell apart. The other Metrus push propaganda and rumors that Akhmou is sick and dying, but there's little indication to his actual state of health.

Onu-Metru:

Construction of the Archives have come to a complete stop, with few tunnels reaching out from under their native district. What tunnels that are completed have become military bunkers, store rooms, and even shelter from fearful citizens above. A large amount of citizens from all districts have fled to this underground safety, and Marvah has let them. He knows that anything they produce will eventually help the war effort for Onu-Metru.

Marvah has shown a noticeable lack on aggression toward the other districts, leading many to believe he is neutral in the war. Crafters and miners have been requested to aid Onu-Metru in deepening the tunnels of the Archives to access materials beneath the city; not all that answer the call return to the upper levels.

Marvah currently seems obsessed with what the Archives was supposed to be used for, and the tools for making it operate. It's not known if this is a simple obsession or something different.

Le-Metru:

The most damaged out of any Metru, Le-Metru suffered multiple attacks early in the war that crippled their Airship fleet and has forced Kongu onto the defensive for the war. Many Metru blocks are leveled or are only half-standing, and chutes litter the streets. Most of the population has retreated to the South of the Metru, away from the war.

Kongu is attempting to regain control of the district as a whole, but infighting amongst the Le-Matoran have made his job difficult and have spread fear that Le-Metru will fall to another Metru sooner or later.

Kongu seems confident amongst all this though; in recent appearances, he has appeared cocky and smug, as if he has a card up his sleeve nobody else knows about.

Ga-Metru:

Ga-Metru has claimed neutrality in the war, lacking a large population trained in any form of combat. A large fleet of ships, however, has provided the bulk of Ga-Metru's defense. Refugees from other parts of the city have loaned their skills and talents to bettering the weapons and defenses of these ships, making it a force not to trifle with.

Macku regularly sends out calls for peace to the other leaders in the conflict, but to date, all have been ignored. A growing portion of the population desire Ga-Metru to take the offensive and use the mighty fleet to crush the other Metru's and return peace by force. It is unknown how long Macku can ignore these calls.

On the other hand, a group of Matoran seek to flee to the Southern parts of the Universe; away from the conflict altogether. Macku has warned them that they cannot leave, as every ship is needed. Again, it is unknown if this warning will be backed with force.

Ko-Metru:

Once the alliances fell away, Nuju authorized the creation of multiple Knowledge Towers on the outskirts of the Metru, effectively sealing in the Ko-Matoran from the conflict. All Ko-Matoran caught outside of the walls have been branded “Outsiders” and cannot return to the Metru.

Little else is known of Ko-Metru, but having the largest population of scientists in the city, a widely-accepted rumor is that they are working on a weapon to end the war has cropped up.

Coliseum:

Deserted and in ruins. While still standing, the area around it is cracking and full of holes from battles. Some say the Turaga still resides in the very top of the building, but the last group of Matoran that went up the staircases never returned. The Coliseum lies directly in the center of multiple ranges of fire, making any trip there highly dangerous.

NPC SYSTEM:

You can form your own squad of troops for combat in battles if you would like! I mean, what fun is a game about war if you can't be in charge, right? It's pretty simple: Simply create up to four NPC characters using the following form:

Name:

Species:

Appearance:

Weapons/Tools:

Weakness:

Once that is done, create a name for your squad, choose which Metru they fight for, and select one of your Characters as the leader of the squad. Once this is done, PM it to a/the GM. Once approved, post it in the discussion thread and begin playing!

Want to form a squad with player characters? Go right ahead! I encourage you guys to work together. One rule though: All players can only have two squads under their command at any time, but they can be part of as many squads as they want.

NOTE: Your NPC(s) are not invincible. I will be watching the usage of these characters carefully. They will most likely die. If they avoided death in some way or another, I will expect a good explanation IC.

NOTE 2: You can turn your NPCs into actual Characters: Just fill out the PC form for them and post it. It'll be considered pre-approved if it hasn't changed from the NPC form. If it has changed AT ALL, it will need approval again.

NOTE 3: Noncombatant characters cannot form squads.

LEGACY SYSTEM:

What is the Legacy System? Well, it is a promotion through the ranks for each character in the game. Depending on how well your character fights or shows diplomatic cunning, it is possible for you to move up the ranks; you can go from being a single soldier to commanding all squads for the district. It is even possible for you to run a district in the war, if the previous leader is killed off.

NPC CHARACTERS:

WIP

PROFILE:

Name(Your name):

Gender(Your gender):

Species(Ta-Matoran, Le-Matoran, etc.):

Appearance(What do you look like?):

Loyalty(Pick a Metru, Neutral, or Noncombatant):

Weapons/Tools(What are you carrying?):

Weakness(May be mental, physical, or social):

Biography(Optional)(Who are you?):

Personality(How will you react?):

RULES:

1. Follow all site rules.

2. Play nice.

3. No Godmodding, Unauthorized bunnying, or other actions that are likely to tick everybody off.

4. You are not going to kill hundreds of enemies with one swing of your sword, so go away Conan.

5. Nor are you going to destroy city blocks in one hit. Massive amounts of destruction must be approved first.

6. Have fun!

@Hinga-Nui

I think this is pretty solid idea. You should be more clear about what caused the war. Matoran must have to fight for something, not only to mindlessly kill other Matoran. They need a good reason to fight, something they want to achieve etc. Otherwise, their morale would soon reach zero. About NPC system, it seems interesting and may work, even though it may make players godmode. And there should be a top limit of squad members.

What weapons do Matoran use? Are we talking only about Kanoka discs? Was war long enough to develop stronger weapons such as pistols or even rifles? Do Matoran use vehicles of any kind or do they move by feet? I can imagine some crabs, but those aren't exactly war animals.

And finally, can players play as craftsmen? People who work at forges or create new types of weapons/vehicles/tools. Talking about creating new weapons, what do Ko-Matoran really do? It's quite important when it comes to choosing district.

• Upvote 1

At some point, I'll suddenly go on hiatus. I'm sorry for that.

Nik, but still pronounced as Nick

The Great Vakama or Clue official topic

When did I say they would split up? The idea was that the entire team would stay together. True, that might lead to the caravan becoming cramped, but large vehicles are cheaper than they were back in Bara Magna. And easier to steal.

Its less the caravan being cramped that I'm worried about and more the missions becoming unwieldy with too many characters bobbing around trying to do stuff. And that if there's only one team why isn't Brutaka keeping an eye on them all the time. 

It would be far better to have multiple missions going on at a time, and say "right, these characters are more suited for this mission so they go here, these other ones are better for that mission so they go there". Provides different character dynamics as the teams switch around, means each mission is going to have room for each character to do stuff, and means the whole thing comes across as a lot less railroaded because its no longer a GM saying "You will go here now and do this thing"

@Hinga Nui, as I believe I've mentioned before, that intro does not suit the RPG. An intro should give the potential player a feel of what the game itself will be about. Yours makes it look like we're being set up to play around in the Barraki conquests before abruptly switching to completely different event in a completely different area featuring none of the characters you're going to be using. It reads like its come from an entirely different RPG

• Upvote 1

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Hinga Nui?

Is this supposed to be a poor hinge joke?

Hinga is Maori for "Fallen." Maori being the language most of the terms Bionicle has is based from. Fun fact.

@Hinga-Nui

I think this is pretty solid idea. You should be more clear about what caused the war. Matoran must have to fight for something, not only to mindlessly kill other Matoran. They need a good reason to fight, something they want to achieve etc. Otherwise, their morale would soon reach zero. About NPC system, it seems interesting and may work, even though it may make players godmode. And there should be a top limit of squad members.

What weapons do Matoran use? Are we talking only about Kanoka discs? Was war long enough to develop stronger weapons such as pistols or even rifles? Do Matoran use vehicles of any kind or do they move by feet? I can imagine some crabs, but those aren't exactly war animals.

And finally, can players play as craftsmen? People who work at forges or create new types of weapons/vehicles/tools. Talking about creating new weapons, what do Ko-Matoran really do? It's quite important when it comes to choosing district.

Yeah, I really need to make it more clear on the start of the war....

I added the NPC system in to create more life to the world without my constant dabbling in the players. I did state I would watch it very carefully.

Kanoka, swords, spears, staffs, some minor energy weapons....I'll have to create a specific list or such for that area. Pistols and rifles? Probably not... As for moving around, it's primarily going to be by feet, and if there's a form of motorized transportation that will have to either A: Come later in the game or B: Be under the GM's control.

Certainly! Players can play as craftsmen for their respective Metru. As for creating new types of weapons/vehicles/tools? That's going to be iffy. If I feel that that Metru has the resources to create a tool or weapon, I'd allow it. For example, Po-Metru is low on metals. I don't foresee them making a vast set of Iron Shields.

I need to specify this in the game, but PCs cannot be allied to Ko-Metru starting off or start in Ko-Metru(It's off-limits at the beginning), but they can play as Ko-Matoran caught outside the sealing of the border.

@Hinga Nui, as I believe I've mentioned before, that intro does not suit the RPG. An intro should give the potential player a feel of what the game itself will be about. Yours makes it look like we're being set up to play around in the Barraki conquests before abruptly switching to completely different event in a completely different area featuring none of the characters you're going to be using. It reads like its come from an entirely different RPG

Definitely something I will need to consider moving forward. I'll be creating a new intro before I even try to seek approval.

Hinga Nui

A couple different comments from me.

First of all, why did the alliances split up? It's only been a year, not long enough for the different metru to form large enough disagreements to overwhelm whatever reason they were on the same side in the first place. They also need each other to actually wage war. Most Matoran got their energy from Ga-Metru. Without access to that they would require some way to grow crops or turn energy into something that a normal person could consume.

Secondly, I actually like that NPC system. It's a war and the PCs are going to be the soldiers that stand out. It makes sense that they would be put in command of others.

Third thing. Why is there a weakness section? The reason RPGs have them is to prevent overpowered characters. In a game where everybody plays as a Matoran that's not really a problem.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

While it does have a nice ring to it, I'd advise against using words from the Maori language for your RPG, simply because it has the potential to reopen a particular can of worms that already led to this site being hacked once before.

Just my opinion, but maybe it might be better to go back to using your first title, or perhaps translating it into another language altogether, such as Latin or something.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Hinga Nui

A couple different comments from me.

First of all, why did the alliances split up? It's only been a year, not long enough for the different metru to form large enough disagreements to overwhelm whatever reason they were on the same side in the first place. They also need each other to actually wage war. Most Matoran got their energy from Ga-Metru. Without access to that they would require some way to grow crops or turn energy into something that a normal person could consume.

Secondly, I actually like that NPC system. It's a war and the PCs are going to be the soldiers that stand out. It makes sense that they would be put in command of others.

Third thing. Why is there a weakness section? The reason RPGs have them is to prevent overpowered characters. In a game where everybody plays as a Matoran that's not really a problem.

A six-sided war presents much more tension and options for the direction of the RPG, instead of having two, possibly three sides altogether. I might nix the fact that there were alliances in the first place, given that this isn't canon anyways, and I can pull the story however I want honestly. Electricity isn't necessary to wage a war of swords and shields. It's a comfort, not a need. Food is grown in all six Metru; they are on an island surrounded by drinkable water.

Exactly. The current playerbase isn't large enough to support a game of this scale, so I figured a sizable amount of NPCs, controlled by the players, would bring a ton of life into the game. And death.

I played a RPG once where everybody was supposed to be the same power level. You'd be surprised what people will try to pull off to be just a little more powerful. Besides, we all have our share of weaknesses in RL, so why can't Matoran have them as well?

While it does have a nice ring to it, I'd advise against using words from the Maori language for your RPG, simply because it has the potential to reopen a particular can of worms that already led to this site being hacked once before.

Just my opinion, but maybe it might be better to go back to using your first title, or perhaps translating it into another language altogether, such as Latin or something.

Most likely will end up using Fallen City.

So right now, RPGs I would like to see polished are:

1. Ghidora's Frontier

2. FallenAtlas's Fallen City

3. Eyru's Wasteland

Honestly, I would play any new Bionicle RPG (so I know what's going on from its start to my hype's end), but those three RPGs sound most interesting.

• Upvote 2

5aiWZu8.png

personalMessage_33 //received -422.23 //sender ID 7-033

Heremus,

I hope your work has been progressing according to expected projections, my team and I have experienced some setbacks with the control algorithm for the mechanoid. The base language we have been provided with is more sophisticated than our initial hardware could handle. We should meet soon.

May Your Ideas Be Many

-Soanume

//PRIVATE encryption <blueskopio>

another was sent in today, it was a basic unit, though it displayed the same system failures as the more specialized worker models from before

i kept my team away from it, i didn’t expect these drones to be able to develop the extraneous code

the incidents are getting more prevalent

i don’t know what to do

any insight you could offer would be welcome

//encryption end…

//end…

personalLogSoanume_323 //recorded -414.7

I spoke to Heremus today. He was keen on looking into the… matter, it interests him greatly.

I suppose that’s what he wasn’t put on the project.

They’ve been coming in with more frequency now, mostly unique or advanced units—I suppose it makes sense, their programming delves deeper into the reaches of the code. We have gotten three of the MATORAN models, each of different classes. I’ve removed their matrixes and frozen processing, just like the others. I sent the bodies to the Builders for repair, but I don’t think this flaw is mechanical.

Complex machine code, what a gift. It’s rather ironic, here we are attempting to build an artificial intelligence to record and analyze galactic amounts of information, and we have just that springing to life underneath our noses. I don’t like what I don’t understand, and there’s plenty I don’t understand in that pile of- strange platform we were provided with. Its tendency to rewrite itself makes multi-strain problem solving easy, but leads to these kind of unintended results.

I don’t think anyone else knows, Heremus says we should study it, but even our self-aware modifications are dangerous, let alone self-aware accidents.

//end…

sRPgU6N.png

personalLogSoanume_378 //recorded -388.9

Heremus wants us to see what the flawed segments of code can do if left to develop on their own. We can’t exactly let them wander around the build site, and the idea of biologically-intelligent drones will not sit well with many of my colleagues. I have an idea, less obtrusive than a pocket dimension and with little chance of contamination.

I could, in theory, run a simulation on this device. It wouldn’t be perfect, but it would allow us to have complete control over the parameters. Transferring the base code from the affected units will take some ingenuity, but this’ll be far more discreet.

//end…

//personalMessage_44 //received -380.1 //sender ID 7-033

//PRIVATE encryption <nightwolf>

Heremus,

I’ve completed the base areas for the simulation, it turned out larger than I initially expected, though the scale isn’t an issue. I am no artist, but I am pleased with the work. I’ve as you suggested, I’ve called it Rei Iden, as ironic as that is. Still, it inspired me to give names to the rest of the locations. I decided on the second model we designed, the collection of islands mass no bigger than small city together. Huge expanses of liquid water were too intensive on the program, so the islands are floating within a vast expanse of sky, connected to one another through natural land bridges. I did manage to get a facsimile of weather working, and the conditions and temperature mirror that of the interior of the mechanoid. We can, of course, alter these somewhat dreary weather patterns to something more inviting. The outer edges of this simulation are unpredictable, logical code structure breaks down, forming landmasses which appear at will and behavioral echoes that take more monstrous shapes.

I placed the main settlement on the largest of these islands, a five-sided megalith of rock covered mostly with a forest of trees from Tesara. The settlement is located on the western edge, and modeled after our own architecture. It’s rather advanced in design, but I prefer the stark white paneling and smooth geometric lines to huts. It features all the amenities needed for a society, residential areas in the north, recreational facilities in the east, transport centers at the southwestern side, overhanging the edge of the island, and even a small industrial sector at the center. The skyline itself would be familiar to you, the buildings rise high enough to appear to touch the stars, giving the small settlement a verticality which greatly increases its overall area. I’ve called the place Fa-Metru, I think you’ll approve.

The second largest landmass, Whe-Nui, is just to the north and above, and is somewhat more barren than the first. I’ve added a multitude of tunnels and caves into its surface, each to be filled with various flora native to the underground habitats in the mechanoid. Smaller landmasses orbit this one, each a little sanctuary of its own. The only source of fresh water is located here, an underground lake which occupies the largest cavern.

The last location of note is much, much smaller, however the fact that it borders the bounds of program causes it to be in an ever changing state of flux. Even I can’t predict what will form there. Its size does remain constant, though the last time I checked it was a lava field filled with snow.

I’d like to show you around sometime.

-Soanume

//encryption end…

yOGiNsj.png

//personalLog_401 //recorded -352.8

I guess I should talk about what started all this. Short answer, I don’t know, I don’t think anyone does. I do have ideas, theories, some guess as to how it started, but none have fit quite right.

About a month ago my team received one of the worker drones that had been reported to be malfunctioning. It was nothing abnormal, it looked no different than the countless others that had suffered some sort of breakdown during the trial phases. They were built to be self-repairing, but having a block of solid protodermis doesn’t do much good for even armored limbs. It was a VORTIXX unit, an advanced model I helped design.

There was no damage to it evident, so I cracked open the skull casing to get a look behind those all-too-lifelike eyes. I wasn’t at all ready for what I found. The very code I helped write looked like it had been torn apart and then used as glue to hold together a makeshift grouping of stimuli processers and decision modifiers. Each segment of code was sending and accepting input from the next, a giant web of activity that should have melted clean through even the complex organic circuitry of the unit.

I removed it immediately, chalking it up to some careless heuristic oversight or input surge. I forgot about it for a time, until the next one came in, displaying the same random code breakage. And, well, here I am now. Uploading these fragments of consciousness to a fake world in the hopes of understanding exactly what is going on. Honestly, we should have expected our creations which imitate life to not develop past just simple imitation.

I’ve made a template for recording each of these that I include in the system. Some have additional fields based on need, but this is the basic outline. I look over them at least once before sending them in.

Name: This was Heremus’ idea. He said it would make them more… alive. I was never one to give sentient names to my creations, but Heremus insisted.

Make: The model of the unit, almost all are present in some shape or form, though thankfully the gaseous artificial Energized Protodermis derivative hasn’t shown these symptoms.

Appearance: I put down identifying marks here, it makes it easier to track their activities.

Mannerisms: I loath to call it personalities, but at this point it’s almost what it is now. Each unit is unique, just as unique as we are. Their base code still defines some of their actions, but they have been developing at an alarming rate. Thankfully, I took care to wipe their memory centers before transfer to the simulation.

Abilities: We certainly haven’t learned when it comes to uplifting the biology to extreme levels. The last time we gave control over the aspects of the universe to a species they started a planetary war. Which is why we started this massive project in the first place. The computer can’t quite model some ‘powers’ correctly, but I have attempted to compensate with plausible alternatives.

//end…

m6c6Pde.png

//personalMessage_76 //received -323.4 //sender ID 012

Soanume,

Greetings my friend, I’ve arranged the help of some my own constructs to keep Rei Iden up and running. Perhaps then you will get some rest, yes?

Gravity (dark-star)

Don’t lose yourself in this world, I’d miss you terribly.

-Heremus

//end…

//personalLog_33212 //recorded -299.2

I believe Soanume has taken quite well to this project of her’s. It was rather cleverly designed, we have been able to implement and change parameters there as we see fit, carefully recording reactions and results. The current set is as follows:

-All BZPower rules apply.

-This is a computer program, physics can act in strange and unexpected ways, none of which qualify as a deus ex machina.

-Characters are the sole property of their player, irreparable damage may not be caused without their permission.

-Characters can die, in order to preserve the façade of realism, those who sustain injuries which would render them inoperable will be removed from the program.

We have stumbled on one of the biggest revelations of our time, though if we do not proceed carefully, it could all be wiped out in an instant. Many of my people are scared enough at the thought of our planet breaking apart, and having another lesser race develop before us could push some of us over the edge. They are our children, though, our legacy to be among the stars.

I rather like the poetry in that.

//end…

• Upvote 9

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

It sounds really cool, and I like all the work you put into the presentation, but it leaves one very important question: What is this RPG about? As far as I can tell, it's just a bunch of MU beings living on floating islands... interacting. There's no goal, no danger, and the only interesting thing is the border. I mean, I assume you have a plot in mind, but it might be helpful to see a glimpse of that.

• Upvote 4

It sounds really cool, and I like all the work you put into the presentation, but it leaves one very important question: What is this RPG about? As far as I can tell, it's just a bunch of MU beings living on floating islands... interacting. There's no goal, no danger, and the only interesting thing is the border. I mean, I assume you have a plot in mind, but it might be helpful to see a glimpse of that.

This was honestly one of the reasons why I was hesitant to go with the completely IC-style writeup. I do have another section in mind which should clear this up, introduce some conflict into the mix. You hit the nail on the head, though, this really is supposed to be a big sandbox style RPG, letting players explore the implications of emergent AI and a developing culture. A clean slate, as it were, the relationships between characters formed now make up the factions and groups to come.

That being said, I do indeed have a planned out overarching plot for once (and it actually has an end!), one that should keep the action moving if all else fails.

nichibros in the sky

this also works, tbh

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Well, I guess I can't say it's a bad idea, considering Corpus Rahkshi has lasted over a year on the same principle. Just as long as you have the occasional conflict, mission, or event that keeps the ball rolling.

Sorry for the bit of an absence,

I ran Ark #351 on another site, under a different name and different character basis(augmented humans, instead of Bionicle based species), and after trying it out and looking over all the unseen options, I am going to shelf Ark #351. It is completely unplayable, and I realized that given the small confines of the RPG, it is merely a GM-driven plot line with very little input from the players which I didn't want, but it was what was happening.

I'm going to move forward with Fallen City instead, and Ark #351 one, instead, will become an Epic that I want to write. I love the story I created, and while nobody else gets to play in the world sadly, making the Epic will certainly be fun.

• Upvote 1

As Krayz said, this should've been put in here for feedback/advice from the playerbase before being submitted to the judges. My criticisms/questions/suggestions are in blue: 

Federation of Fear 

Introduction:

Alright maggots, LISTEN UP! You are now part of a specialized task force, sponsored by none other than the Order of Mata Nui itself, you should feel honoured-actually, don't, because I highly doubt that emotion is beyond your puny tiny minds! Might want to consider rewording this. If he doubts that being honoured is beyond them, then he's saying he believes they are capable of it, which I don't think is what you meant. 

My name’s Brutaka, Helryx has sent me you rejects because you are skilled at what you do! Unfortunately, you have used those skills to commit acts considered amoral, as such; your lives are now not worth the bacteria growing on the visor of my breathing helmet!

From now on you are scum, you are Fikou, you are the lowest form of life on Spherus Magna! And from now on, you will do as I say, or else I will reserve a nice vacation for you, in the dimension made ENTIRELY OUT OF SHARP METAL SPIKES! Welcome, to the FEDERATION OF FEAR! Bathroom is on the left, by the way.

Setting:

It has been a thousand years since the reformation of Spherus Magna, and things are generally getting better for the forces for good. But evil is on the rise, with the Dark Hunters and Skrall allying, the Barraki regrouping and forming new armies, wild Rahi that escaped the Matoran Universe before it collapsed and small raider groups of Skakdi, Zyglak, Bone Hunters and other miscellaneous threats that the Federation must deal with.

A thousand years is a pretty dang long time, so I'm somewhat confused as to why all of these evil groups have waited until now to suddenly resurface. The Dark Hunters and Barraki already had their armies at the ready when the Matoran Universe fell. It seems strange that they'd suddenly go to ground for ten centuries.

I'm also uncertain as to why a Federation of Fear would be required to deal with small bands of raiders. Seems to me that the local Toa and Glatorian, as well as the Agori and Matoran (who've conveniently had a thousand years to establish fortified settlements, arm themselves, train, and bring up their numbers a bit) would be able to handle those sorts of problems themselves. 

You will play as one of the Federation, and deal with the problems nobody else wants to deal with. However, you will be supervised at all times by Brutaka. You can TRY to defeat him, but try is the key word here, since betraying him a few times may lead to you contracting a terminal case of death due to the poison capsules inside your body, put there while you sleep.

So... what does this mean, exactly? Players can try to kill Brutaka but you're just going to no-sell everything, then insta-kill the attacking character with these poison capsules that they somehow didn't notice being injected into their bodies? 

Brutaka has a device around his wrist that allows him to see your current situation, and to release the poison inside the capsule with the push of a button. Simply put, he can see where you are at all times, and can kill you at all times.

You will get around Spherus Magna in the Zya-Nui, a large but fast vehicle roughly the size of a small house. It will be cramped, but has enough beds to provide for the whole team (that being the loosest definition of the term). Who drives it? No one. The Zya-Nui has been installed with the brain of an old Maxilos robot, allowing it to drive itself.

Locations:

The game will take place on Spherus Magna, so… yes… since the characters’ missions will probably take them to various different places, it’s hard to list EVERY possible place they could go to. However, I can give a few key locations. Note that the key word here is COULD. The Federation doesn’t have any choice where it goes. So the entire plot is going to be completely, 100% GM controlled, with players getting no say in where their characters go or what happens when they get there? 

Southern Region: This is where the final battle between Mata Nui and Makuta happened. It is no longer the vast desert it once was; thanks to Mata Nui giving it new life, though some places still remain arid. New Atero is located here with a recreation of the original Arena Magna at the centre, and the new headquarters for the Order of Mata Nui located on the city’s outskirts, which is made out of a small fragment of the Mata Nui robot’s head that went quite a distance when that chunk of Aqua Magna came crashing down. Some parts of the Matoran Universe have also been used to create other settlements, and some others have just been made from scratch. It is not perfect, however, with raiders terrorizing many minor settlements.

Northern Region: If the Southern Region is where good reigns, the Northern Region is where evil reigns. Among its landmarks are the River Dormus, the Forest of Blades, the Great Volcano, the Valley of the Maze, the Stronghold of the Great Beings and the Energized Protodermis Spring. This is also the new homeland of the League of Four Kingdoms. Why four? Because Carapar is dead and nobody knows where Takadox is. Presumingly up to no good, especially since he has the Heart of the Visorak…

The Great Sea: Created out of Aqua Magna, this is now the main body of water on Spherus Magna. Sea travel is considered safer than land travel, since there’s not much in the way of raiders. Instead there are sea monsters and pirates. Yarr.

The Great Jungle: Created out of l Magna, this place is filled with biomechanical dinosaurs. Roar. Also hidden inside is the headquarters for the Dark Hunters, and New Roxtus, the new Skrall settlement. There’s also the fortress where Velika tried to kill several powerful beings with explosions, but it didn’t work. But the creed of the Great Beings is: if you don’t succeed, try, try again…

Northern Frost: Even further north than the Northern Region, it is an icy wasteland where only the scarcest of settlements can be found. Makuta Miserix departed here recently, for unknown reasons… Just to clarify, did he depart from there, or depart from somewhere else to there? 

White Quartz Mountains: Apart from a few settlements, there’s not much here.

Black Spike Mountains: Or here.

Species:

Matoran (Innate elemental powers, Powerless Kanohi)

Toa (Strong elemental powers, Great Kanohi)

Turaga (Weak elemental powers, Noble Kanohi)

Vortixx (Great Kanohi)

Skakdi (Vision power, other random power, Powerless Kanohi, strong elemental powers, but can only be used in conjunction with another Skakdi)

Zyglak (Resistance against elemental powers, but NOT immunity, they simply take less damage)

Glatorian

Agori

Skrall Warrior

Steltian Elite (Great Kanohi)

Steltian Bruiser (Natural brute strength)

Other Species (There are many species in the Bionicle Universe, most of which don’t have names, so if you want to play as a species that has no name, just say something like Lariska’s Species, or Eliminator’s Species. Just make sure you know what powers they have before you start your profile.)

Staff:

Me.

And me!

Shut up, you don’t count.

Characters:

You may have two characters at any one time, and they must be approved before you can begin posting.

Profile:

Name: What your character is called. Try to come up with something that wouldn’t seem out of place in the Bionicle Universe. So no, he can’t be called Steve, or have numbers in his name. Also you can’t have the same name as a canon character. Or canon species. Or canon anything.

Gender: Before filling this in, note that certain species have locked genders, such as Ga-Matoran. Hm... there's nothing technically wrong with this, but I'm not sure enforcing the canon gender disparities in a non-canon RPG is going to be popular with everyone...

Species: Note that you’re going to have to actually know WHAT your species can do before you go any further. Rare species such as Makuta, Toa of Light, Iron Agori and Female Skrall are prohibited. Female Skrall aren't rare, though? I can't find anything on BS01 implying there were any less of them than there were males. The only "rare" Skrall would be the leader-class ones, since Tuma was supposed to be the only one. 

Element/Tribe: Certain species don’t have elements or belong to a tribe, so just check before you fill this in. Light, Shadow, Time, Life and Creation are banned. Fanon Elements Crystal and Acid are allowed. Calling back to my earlier point, it's a bit odd that you'd allow and encourage the use of fanon elements, but still enforce the canon gender imbalance. 

Kanohi: Most species can/have to wear Kanohi, but few know how to use them. You are only allowed ONE Kanohi, so if you find another, you must swap it with your previous one to wear it. Also the Masks of Light, Shadow, Light and Shadow, Time, Life, Creation, Dimensional Gates, Alternate Futures and Gravity are prohibited. You can come up with your own custom mask, but don’t make it overpowered or your character will be rejected.

Other Powers: Some powers don’t come from Elements or Kanohi, such as Skakdi Vision Powers.

Weapons: Feel free to go nuts with melee weapons, as long as it’s not too overpowered. However, Zamor Sphere Launchers were only ever wielded by the Toa Inika and Piraka, and thus prohibited. Actually, no. Zamors were originally created by the Nynrah Ghosts, which were given to Jovan and stolen by Dark Hunters, long before the events on Voya Nui. It's entirely possible the weapons would've been distributed to other beings over time. 

Other canon ranged weapons like Kanoka, Rhotuka, Cordak Blasters and Thornax are free game. You’re only allowed two weapons though, so choose carefully. Is there any particular reason players are being forced to have so few weapons? With the exception of Bionifight, I've never really encountered an RPG that put such a specific limit on how much a character is allowed to carry. 

However, a pair of something is not considered two, such as dual swords. But dual weapons are only half as effective as a whole weapon would be; you need both to reach maximum efficiency. That's... not really how weapons work... 

Bio: Just what did your character do to warrant becoming part of the Federation of Fear? It must be something considered wrong by the Order, otherwise they wouldn’t send on you on such dangerous missions.

Personality: Paint a picture about what your character is like. You can have a few redeeming qualities, but a truly good character wouldn’t be conscripted into the Federation.

Strengths: Fairly straightforward, what is your character good at? Fighting, stealing, etc.

Weaknesses: The opposite of weaknesses. I assume you meant to put strengths here. Does your character have a weak spot in their armour; are they not skilled with certain weapons? Try to keep it balanced and consistent with your strengths.

Appearance: This one is optional, but feel free to fill it in if you want. You can use a picture created by you or someone else, or describe your character with words.

To give you an idea of how this works, here’s one I made earlier.

Name: Brutaka

Element/Tribe: N/A

Kanohi: Great Olmak, Mask of Dimensional Gates (Why does Brutaka have a prohibited mask? Because he’s an NPC, THAT’S why! Also the one he originally wore was destroyed by Makuta Teridax, but a new one was forged for him after the Battle of Bara Magna)

Other Powers: Energy Blasts, Mental Shielding, gains Makuta Powers when absorbing Antidermis, can breathe in water, but needs his breathing helmet (which he NEVER takes off) to breathe on land. (In canon, he DOES have all these powers)

Weapons: A pair of Rotating Blades that can combine into one, which electric shock anyone who isn’t Brutaka picking them up into unconsciousness, along with a pair of Protosteel Daggers hidden in his back.

Bio: Now being a canon character, Brutaka’s history is too long for me to list in a small paragraph. Therefore, read his bio at BionicleSector01. Or any Bionicle wiki, for that matter.

Personality: Brutaka here is much different from the Brutaka a thousand years ago, in no small part to being submerged in Antidermis and a few malfunctions with his breathing helmet. He now more resembles a drill sergeant than anything else, and is absolutely disgusted with the fact he has to take yet ANOTHER band of criminals on yet ANOTHER suicide mission.

Strengths: Immensely skilled with his weapons, strong and actually quite intelligent.

Weaknesses: His breathing helmet for one, break it (which is hard, but possible) and he will immediately start looking for the nearest body of water. His arms and lower legs are less armoured than the rest of his body. His Antidermis induced insanity also counts, though some may say that makes him more dangerous than ever…

Appearance: A tall, lean, gold and blue figure wearing a helmet full of water.

Note that Brutaka’s Olmak cannot be used as “fast travel” for the Federation, mostly because dimensions act like rooms in a house. You can exit it using a door AKA the Olmak, but that doesn’t mean you’ll end back up in that room by exiting it. You have to go back through the door to get back in. Also Brutaka ends up where he exited when coming back to our dimension.

Battles:

This functions about the same as every other RPG, in that there’s no numbers or calculations, just roleplay. When fighting against either PC or NPC, remember that you are NOT invincible. You are going to get a few cuts and bruises at best. At worst, you die. And considering what your characters will be going up against, dying will not be a rare occurrence. But don’t worry; you can always create a new one! Generally speaking, the GM shouldn't go out of their way to kill off PC's like this. I think players would appreciate it more if their characters were crippled or injured or knocked unconscious rather than simply being murdered outright. 

Rules:

1: Thou shalt not god-mod. No not taking damage, no dodging all hits.

2: Thou shalt not insta-kill everything, be it NPC or PC. And ESPECIALLY not Brutaka, who cannot be killed, so no saying you did.

3: Thou shalt not control other player’s characters without their permission, or NPCs (i.e. characters controlled by the GM, who is me).

4: Thou shalt use IC: when posting in character, and OOC: when not.

5: Thou shalt respect your fellow player and GM, even if your characters don’t get along.

6: Thou shalt be fair. When fighting against other PCs (and believe me, that WILL happen), give the other player a chance.

7: Thou shalt not use the same tactic over and over during battles. If you do so, I will say it didn’t work and you will have to come up with something else. I'm sorry, what? A lot of fighters tend to have certain tactics and moves that they favour in fights.  It's called a combat style. So just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, but you're basically saying that if someone is favouring a certain strategy, and it's working for them,  you're just going to start no-selling it the next time they try to use it?

8: Thou shalt accept the GM’s final word. If something doesn’t work, IT DOESN’T WORK.

9: Thou shalt make frequent contributions. If you haven’t posted within ten days, your character shall die. Tough, but fair. This isn't even remotely fair. Ten days is a very short time in RPG terms, and murdering people's PCs because their internet cut out unexpectedly or they took a week off for study isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. This doesn’t count however, if you warn me that you are going on holiday, or something like that.

10: Thou shalt have fun.

Edited by Nato Greavesy
  • Upvote 4

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Riding on the coattails of a greater post:

As Krayz said, this should've been put in here for feedback/advice from the playerbase before being submitted to the judges. My criticisms/questions/suggestions are in blue: 

Federation of Fear 

Introduction:

Alright maggots, LISTEN UP! You are now part of a specialized task force, sponsored by none other than the Order of Mata Nui itself, you should feel honoured-actually, don't, because I highly doubt that emotion is beyond your puny tiny minds! Might want to consider rewording this. If he doubts that being honoured is beyond them, then he's saying he believes they are capable of it, which I don't think is what you meant.

My name’s Brutaka, Helryx has sent me you rejects because you are skilled at what you do! Unfortunately, you have used those skills to commit acts considered amoral, as such; your lives are now not worth the bacteria growing on the visor of my breathing helmet!

From now on you are scum, you are Fikou, you are the lowest form of life on Spherus Magna! And from now on, you will do as I say, or else I will reserve a nice vacation for you, in the dimension made ENTIRELY OUT OF SHARP METAL SPIKES! Welcome, to the FEDERATION OF FEAR! Bathroom is on the left, by the way. I sincerely hope that this "dimension of sharp metal spikes" is a joke. Otherwise you're going to get characters who are designed to survive that.

Setting:

It has been a thousand years since the reformation of Spherus Magna, and things are generally getting better for the forces for good. But evil is on the rise, with the Dark Hunters and Skrall allying, the Barraki regrouping and forming new armies, wild Rahi that escaped the Matoran Universe before it collapsed and small raider groups of Skakdi, Zyglak, Bone Hunters and other miscellaneous threats that the Federation must deal with.

A thousand years is a pretty dang long time, so I'm somewhat confused as to why all of these evil groups have waited until now to suddenly resurface. The Dark Hunters and Barraki already had their armies at the ready when the Matoran Universe fell. It seems strange that they'd suddenly go to ground for ten centuries.

I'm also uncertain as to why a Federation of Fear would be required to deal with small bands of raiders. Seems to me that the local Toa and Glatorian, as well as the Agori and Matoran (who've conveniently had a thousand years to establish fortified settlements, arm themselves, train, and bring up their numbers a bit) would be able to handle those sorts of problems themselves. 

You will play as one of the Federation, and deal with the problems nobody else wants to deal with. However, you will be supervised at all times by Brutaka. You can TRY to defeat him, but try is the key word here, since betraying him a few times may lead to you contracting a terminal case of death due to the poison capsules inside your body, put there while you sleep.

So... what does this mean, exactly? Players can try to kill Brutaka but you're just going to no-sell everything, then insta-kill the attacking character with these poison capsules that they somehow didn't notice being injected into their bodies? That Brutaka is an even more OP version of Abbenidium (if such a thing is possible).

Brutaka has a device around his wrist that allows him to see your current situation, and to release the poison inside the capsule with the push of a button. Simply put, he can see where you are at all times, and can kill you at all times. So, another instakill sign... Explain to me why I should play again?

You will get around Spherus Magna in the Zya-Nui, a large but fast vehicle roughly the size of a small house. It will be cramped, but has enough beds to provide for the whole team (that being the loosest definition of the term). Who drives it? No one. The Zya-Nui has been installed with the brain of an old Maxilos robot, allowing it to drive itself.

Locations:

The game will take place on Spherus Magna, so… yes… since the characters’ missions will probably take them to various different places, it’s hard to list EVERY possible place they could go to. However, I can give a few key locations. Note that the key word here is COULD. The Federation doesn’t have any choice where it goes. So the entire plot is going to be completely, 100% GM controlled, with players getting no say in where their characters go or what happens when they get there? 

Southern Region: This is where the final battle between Mata Nui and Makuta happened. It is no longer the vast desert it once was; thanks to Mata Nui giving it new life, though some places still remain arid. New Atero is located here with a recreation of the original Arena Magna at the centre, and the new headquarters for the Order of Mata Nui located on the city’s outskirts, which is made out of a small fragment of the Mata Nui robot’s head that went quite a distance when that chunk of Aqua Magna came crashing down. Some parts of the Matoran Universe have also been used to create other settlements, and some others have just been made from scratch. It is not perfect, however, with raiders terrorizing many minor settlements. Yeah, you're informing your criminals about where your headquarters is so that if they ever find a way to sneak info out without you looking, the enemies of the order can eliminate you entirely.

Northern Region: If the Southern Region is where good reigns, the Northern Region is where evil reigns. Among its landmarks are the River Dormus, the Forest of Blades, the Great Volcano, the Valley of the Maze, the Stronghold of the Great Beings and the Energized Protodermis Spring. This is also the new homeland of the League of Four Kingdoms. Why four? Because Carapar is dead and nobody knows where Takadox is. Presumingly up to no good, especially since he has the Heart of the Visorak…

The Great Sea: Created out of Aqua Magna, this is now the main body of water on Spherus Magna. Sea travel is considered safer than land travel, since there’s not much in the way of raiders. Instead there are sea monsters and pirates. Yarr.

The Great Jungle: Created out of l Magna, this place is filled with biomechanical dinosaurs. Roar. Also hidden inside is the headquarters for the Dark Hunters, and New Roxtus, the new Skrall settlement. There’s also the fortress where Velika tried to kill several powerful beings with explosions, but it didn’t work. But the creed of the Great Beings is: if you don’t succeed, try, try again…

Northern Frost: Even further north than the Northern Region, it is an icy wasteland where only the scarcest of settlements can be found. Makuta Miserix departed here recently, for unknown reasons… Just to clarify, did he depart from there, or depart from somewhere else to there? 

White Quartz Mountains: Apart from a few settlements, there’s not much here. We could hear a little more on this.

Black Spike Mountains: Or here. And this.

Species:

Matoran (Innate elemental powers, Powerless Kanohi)

Toa (Strong elemental powers, Great Kanohi)

Turaga (Weak elemental powers, Noble Kanohi)

Vortixx (Great Kanohi)

Skakdi (Vision power, other random power, Powerless Kanohi, strong elemental powers, but can only be used in conjunction with another Skakdi)

Zyglak (Resistance against elemental powers, but NOT immunity, they simply take less damage)

Glatorian

Agori

Skrall Warrior

Steltian Elite (Great Kanohi)

Steltian Bruiser (Natural brute strength)

Other Species (There are many species in the Bionicle Universe, most of which don’t have names, so if you want to play as a species that has no name, just say something like Lariska’s Species, or Eliminator’s Species. Just make sure you know what powers they have before you start your profile.)

Staff:

Me.

And me!

Shut up, you don’t count.

Characters:

You may have two characters at any one time, and they must be approved before you can begin posting. So a character limit... An incredibly short limit...

Profile:

Name: What your character is called. Try to come up with something that wouldn’t seem out of place in the Bionicle Universe. So no, he can’t be called Steve, or have numbers in his name. Also you can’t have the same name as a canon character. Or canon species. Or canon anything.

Gender: Before filling this in, note that certain species have locked genders, such as Ga-Matoran. Hm... there's nothing technically wrong with this, but I'm not sure enforcing the canon gender disparities in a non-canon RPG is going to be popular with everyone... Especially considering people like to play as male Ga characters.

Species: Note that you’re going to have to actually know WHAT your species can do before you go any further. Rare species such as Makuta, Toa of Light, Iron Agori and Female Skrall are prohibited. Female Skrall aren't rare, though? I can't find anything on BS01 implying there were any less of them than there were males. The only "rare" Skrall would be the leader-class ones, since Tuma was supposed to be the only one. Plus I think that Makuta being a 'rare species' is not the reason why you should ban them. It's because they can kill Brutaka faster than he could react if done right.

Element/Tribe: Certain species don’t have elements or belong to a tribe, so just check before you fill this in. Light, Shadow, Time, Life and Creation are banned. Fanon Elements Crystal and Acid are allowed. Calling back to my earlier point, it's a bit odd that you'd allow and encourage the use of fanon elements, but still enforce the canon gender imbalance. 

Kanohi: Most species can/have to wear Kanohi, but few know how to use them. You are only allowed ONE Kanohi, so if you find another, you must swap it with your previous one to wear it. Also the Masks of Light, Shadow, Light and Shadow, Time, Life, Creation, Dimensional Gates, Alternate Futures and Gravity are prohibited. You can come up with your own custom mask, but don’t make it overpowered or your character will be rejected. Mm Hm... Oddly enough, you're also trying to make a super killing squad that can destroy all opposing forces.

Other Powers: Some powers don’t come from Elements or Kanohi, such as Skakdi Vision Powers.

Weapons: Feel free to go nuts with melee weapons, as long as it’s not too overpowered. However, Zamor Sphere Launchers were only ever wielded by the Toa Inika and Piraka, and thus prohibited. Actually, no. Zamors were originally created by the Nynrah Ghosts, which were given to Jovan and stolen by Dark Hunters, long before the events on Voya Nui. It's entirely possible the weapons would've been distributed to other beings over time. Are you getting your facts from the sets only? And if I can go crazy on it, I'm having a blade covered in knives controlled by my sentience that can levitate at will and can be controlled from over a mile away. Rewrite, please.

Other canon ranged weapons like Kanoka, Rhotuka, Cordak Blasters and Thornax are free game. You’re only allowed two weapons though, so choose carefully. Is there any particular reason players are being forced to have so few weapons? With the exception of Bionifight, I've never really encountered an RPG that put such a specific limit on how much a character is allowed to carry. On Nato's comment earlier, this really seems like a job for the native beings who can carry whatever the heck they want with them.

However, a pair of something is not considered two, such as dual swords. But dual weapons are only half as effective as a whole weapon would be; you need both to reach maximum efficiency. That's... not really how weapons work... Otherwise a single lightsaber couldn't cut nearly as well as a double-sided one. That doesn't make any sense.

Bio: Just what did your character do to warrant becoming part of the Federation of Fear? It must be something considered wrong by the Order, otherwise they wouldn’t send on you on such dangerous missions. Probably was born male and had the water element, carried three guns at a time, didn't bow to Brutaka, etc.

Personality: Paint a picture about what your character is like. You can have a few redeeming qualities, but a truly good character wouldn’t be conscripted into the Federation.

Strengths: Fairly straightforward, what is your character good at? Fighting, stealing, etc.

Weaknesses: The opposite of weaknesses. I assume you meant to put strengths here. Does your character have a weak spot in their armour; are they not skilled with certain weapons? Try to keep it balanced and consistent with your strengths.

Appearance: This one is optional, but feel free to fill it in if you want. You can use a picture created by you or someone else, or describe your character with words.

To give you an idea of how this works, here’s one I made earlier.

Name: Brutaka

Element/Tribe: N/A

Kanohi: Great Olmak, Mask of Dimensional Gates (Why does Brutaka have a prohibited mask? Because he’s an NPC, THAT’S why! Also the one he originally wore was destroyed by Makuta Teridax, but a new one was forged for him after the Battle of Bara Magna)

Other Powers: Energy Blasts, Mental Shielding, gains Makuta Powers when absorbing Antidermis, can breathe in water, but needs his breathing helmet (which he NEVER takes off) to breathe on land. (In canon, he DOES have all these powers)

Weapons: A pair of Rotating Blades that can combine into one, which electric shock anyone who isn’t Brutaka picking them up into unconsciousness, along with a pair of Protosteel Daggers hidden in his back.

Bio: Now being a canon character, Brutaka’s history is too long for me to list in a small paragraph. Therefore, read his bio at BionicleSector01. Or any Bionicle wiki, for that matter. See bold text and my comment directly below.

Personality: Brutaka here is much different from the Brutaka a thousand years ago, in no small part to being submerged in Antidermis and a few malfunctions with his breathing helmet. He now more resembles a drill sergeant than anything else, and is absolutely disgusted with the fact he has to take yet ANOTHER band of criminals on yet ANOTHER suicide mission. Yeah. He's just like the canon one except he's not? Um...

Strengths: Immensely skilled with his weapons, strong and actually quite intelligent.

Weaknesses: His breathing helmet for one, break it (which is hard, but possible) and he will immediately start looking for the nearest body of water. His arms and lower legs are less armoured than the rest of his body. His Antidermis induced insanity also counts, though some may say that makes him more dangerous than ever… You know, I thought we couldn't even touch our golden idol.

Appearance: A tall, lean, gold and blue figure wearing a helmet full of water.

Note that Brutaka’s Olmak cannot be used as “fast travel” for the Federation, mostly because dimensions act like rooms in a house. You can exit it using a door AKA the Olmak, but that doesn’t mean you’ll end back up in that room by exiting it. You have to go back through the door to get back in. Also Brutaka ends up where he exited when coming back to our dimension. You mean Earth? And this analogy hurts my brain.

Battles:

This functions about the same as every other RPG, in that there’s no numbers or calculations, just roleplay. When fighting against either PC or NPC, remember that you are NOT invincible. You are going to get a few cuts and bruises at best. At worst, you die. And considering what your characters will be going up against, dying will not be a rare occurrence. But don’t worry; you can always create a new one! Generally speaking, the GM shouldn't go out of their way to kill off PC's like this. I think players would appreciate it more if their characters were crippled or injured or knocked unconscious rather than simply being murdered outright. (i.e. Asylum)

Rules:

1: Thou shalt not god-mod. No not taking damage, no dodging all hits.

2: Thou shalt not insta-kill everything, be it NPC or PC. And ESPECIALLY not Brutaka, who cannot be killed, so no saying you did.

3: Thou shalt not control other player’s characters without their permission, or NPCs (i.e. characters controlled by the GM, who is me).

4: Thou shalt use IC: when posting in character, and OOC: when not.

5: Thou shalt respect your fellow player and GM, even if your characters don’t get along.

6: Thou shalt be fair. When fighting against other PCs (and believe me, that WILL happen), give the other player a chance.

7: Thou shalt not use the same tactic over and over during battles. If you do so, I will say it didn’t work and you will have to come up with something else. I'm sorry, what? A lot of fighters tend to have certain tactics and moves that they favour in fights.  It's called a combat style. So just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, but you're basically saying that if someone is favouring a certain strategy, and it's working for them,  you're just going to start no-selling it the next time they try to use it?

8: Thou shalt accept the GM’s final word. If something doesn’t work, IT DOESN’T WORK. Yeah, like trying to stop the GM plot. Well, looks like the character I tried so hard on is dead for little reason at all.

9: Thou shalt make frequent contributions. If you haven’t posted within ten days, your character shall die. Tough, but fair. This isn't even remotely fair. Ten days is a very short time in RPG terms, and murdering people's PCs because their internet cut out unexpectedly or they took a week off for study isn't going to sit well with a lot of people. This doesn’t count however, if you warn me that you are going on holiday, or something like that. And what of leaving on short notice? I've had that happen several times and not all my Corpus characters met painful and violent deaths when I returned.

10: Thou shalt have fun. I understand you really want this RPG to run, but Asylum sat with more time and more work than this and it died in 3 months. GM-controlled plots outside of occasional missions is really unrealistic, and is going to help to kill this RPG very quickly. If you want something actually fun to play, I ask that you look over Nato's and my comments on the main issues.

And I don't find this RPG terrible, and I don't hate it with all my guts. Neither does Nato. We just don't want to see an RPG go up and live a meaningless lifespan of about a week only to die off with little to no enjoyment for anyone. Please don't find these comments too offensive.

• Upvote 1

Vault of Apophis (GMed by Sassy Dalmatian)

Introduction

Captain Taurus's message to the universes: The battle of the light and darkness, Teridax and Mata Nui, was but a feud in the vast cosmos. In one dimension, the battle raged on, but it had no effect in others. All things considered, it was tame. But it was still enough.

While the battle raged around us, the chaos caused by the battle woke something. Not all the way, thank Mata Nui, or we would all be dead. But now, we have a serious, serious threat on our hands. Something that, if not stopped, will spread throughout the universe- all of them.

This vault we fight on has changed drastically. When we first arrived to find a place for the Mask of Creation, these caverns echoed with joy.

Now, it's a war zone. It all changed when... It showed up. I know not what exactly this thing is, but I know one thing: It wishes to destroy us. All of us, whether you are a simple Rahi, or a Makuta to be feared. It has the will, and it has the power.

The only thing keeping it back is the vault door, sealed by powerful enchantments. Now, people can get in via teleportation, but no one can get out, until the being is dead.

In a rage, the thing started picking us off, one by one, until there were too few of us to pose a threat. Now, we need help. I am transmitting this message on all channels, across all the verses. If there is any way you can get to us, then teleport to these global coordinates. Believe me, the Vault will be there.

Story:

The vault, a secret buried with treasures beyond imagination, has fallen to a god, or something worse: Isfet. What it is is... Unclear. Some say it is a god filled with malice and rage. Others that it is a collection of vengeful spirits. Even more say it is the primordial force of Chaos.

But what is clear is clear is that its energies are chaotic, corruptive, and a force to be feared. It possesses the ability to set a singular point locked out of space and time as we know it, so that no matter where you enter the island from, you will be on the same island- a perfect strategy to conquer the multiverse. Its powers circle the island, as well as it's minions. It hoards relics that could harm it, to prevent anything from taking care of it for good.

Locations

Everyone is trapped in a vault, if you could call it that. In reality, the "Vault" is a massive underground network, with passages connecting huge caverns. In each of these caverns, one should expect to find surprises in each one.

The Obelisk

The Obelisk is the central base of operations for the soldiers. It consists of sleeping quarters, as well as a dining hall and a farm, to grow the food. Normally, it would take months for a full blown harvest, but with the help of Plandaí, we are able to keep a steady supply of food on the table. In addition to these basic needs, we have a simple training ground outside(a generous term, really. It's just a dirt floor, with several training dummies scattered around) and the Obelisk itself- what used to be a simple(Hardly simple- it was a massive tower dedicated to the Mask.) shrine to the Mask of Creation is now the control center and lookout tower for the soldiers. Where the altar once was, there is now a war table, where all the meetings are held.

The Chaos Lake

This is a cavern that is filled with water. What was once a source of fresh water is now the base for the Ya'ew Isfet. At first glance, it appears to be simply a lake, but upon closer inspection, one can see the water is tinted with the colors of chaos. If one were to throw themself into the water, they would either disintegrate... Or worse, become infected. However, it's what below the surface that matters. Underneath the waves is a fortress of massive proportions, and is home to the Ya'ew Isfet, though home may be a bad term, considering what the Ya'ew are. "Storage facility" would be a better term. Even so, there is a massive shrine to Isfet in the temple, as well as a vast number of weapons, taken from the deceased. The land around the temple is cracked, as if something has been trying to break through...

The Stone Forest

The Stone Forest was once a real forest within the cavern, to provide oxygen. But when Isfet came around, the trees became stone, and as such, other methods were needed. Now, this area is a battle field, simply put. Here is the main conflict, because the two groups fight for control over the entrance to the Labyrinth.

The Labryinth of the Cursed

This area, located below the main area of the Vault, is interesting in that it is not truly a cavern, but rathe something else. It is a vast maze, made so that if any robbers were to come for the Mask, they would almost certainly get lost within its depths and die by the Labryinth's guardians, the Medjay. Now, though, Isfet sees it as a storage facility for any relics. He has infected the Medjay with his blight, created puzzles and traps for its amusement, and has placed his some of his numbers to guard it with the Medjay. To journey into this area, you must have a purpose, which is to search for a relic. Other than that, this area is off limits, due to the safety risks.

The Soldiers

The soldiers are a group of rebels against Isfet, fighting to put an end to the being. Some of them have come here out of their own free will. Others were sentenced here as an alternate punishment to prison, to fight for their freedom... Or die trying. Others still have been paid as mercenaries, and simply want their money.

Your job as soldiers are to defend the Mask of Creation against these minions, and, whenever possible, recover these artifacts. These expeditions could either be GM led, or organized by the players, with the GM setting out obstacles for the players to overcome. If there is no request to start up a playerled expedition, then the GM will organize one every couple of weeks.

The Ya'ew Isfet

The Ya'ew Isfet were previously soldiers, who were defeated by Isfet. They were then transformed by the being, with their soul being destroyed by it. Their skin seems to be glowing blood red and black, and their eyes glow with the power of chaos. They need no food, sleep, or drink. The Ya'ew Isfet are completely and unfailingly loyal to Isfet, though the newer warriors are stronger, and have a bit more personality. Some of the most intelligent can even speak, something not normal for a being with no soul.

As a Ya'ew Isfet, you have one goal: Snuff out the life in the vault, and destroy the Mask of Creation, whatever the cost. Your previous life doesn't matter. Your friends shall burn, or join you soon enough. Now is the time to rise, to have your revenge on the world so cruel.

The Relics

The relics at first glance, have nothing in common, or have no powers. When you step back to look at the larger picture, however, you notice one thing they all have in common- they are symbolic. So far, we have seen Isfet hoard things we could not explain, such as Bohrok shells or a simple yellow Hau. How this would effect Isfet is uncertain, but Isfet has been hiding them from us, leaving little trace, meaning they have to pose some sort of danger to Isfet. The only thing known about their location is that they are in the Labryinth of the Cursed.

The Medjay

Unfortunately, finding the relics is... Difficult, to say the least. The Medjay are not just guardians in the Labryinth, but within each of their bodies is a relic. Each relic they contain gives them a different power, giving us a slight clue as to what sort of item it is. They are very slow, towering, hunched back, extraordinarily strong, and their armor is near indestructible . Emphasis on near. If one tried to solo one of these, then they would more than likely get brutally murdered, or, now that they are corrupted, infected with the Chaos. However, in a group of three, it is likely you can kill them. There is a weak spot on it's back, which with it's hunchback is right on top of him. Two would keep it's attention, while the third would come down with a sword on it's back. Just watch out: Each Medjay has a unique ability, making them unpredictable.

Death

Normally, death is a permanent end. But here, that is not the case.

If you as a soldier are killed by one of the Ya'ew Isfet, you can return back as a Ya'ew Isfet yourself, fighting against those who would oppose your new master.

This would require some reworking of the profile, but all that would really be changed would be the appearance. The minions of chaos all have a unified color scheme, representing chaos: glowing blood red and black.

Now, this is all optional, of course, if you cannot deal with the heartbreak of watching your character's free will be destroyed. They can just die a hero's death. Also, if you fall on your sword and die or something like that, you cannot be reborn in the chaos.

Profiles

Name: Self explanatory

Gender: Does your character identify as male, female, or something else? Please try to keep it within the norm, no identifying as a piano or something just as ridiculous.

Species: Are you a Matoran? A Toa? Perhaps a Rahi? You could even be a Makuta, though your powers are severely hampered by the force of chaos.

Allegiance: Who are they fighting for? Isfet, or the universe?

Gear: What do they fight with? What powers do they have? Be creative, but don't give your character a nuclear-chainsaw-lightsaber that can blow up the planet. Also, don't go over board on the powers. If you are playing as a Makuta, then there is a maximum of three Makuta powers.

Appearance: Self explanatory

Personality: What are they like? What skills do they have?

Bio: Self Explanatory

GM Characters

Name: Taurus

Species: Steltian Elite

Allegiance: Soldier

Gear: Taurus has heavy armor, to protect his "life support suit." In addition to that, however, he has a large broadsword with teeth along it's edges, and a shotgun that fires electric rounds. While the rounds do not do as much physical harm, they can deliver a nasty shock, possibly even stunning the target for a few seconds.

Appearance: Taurus is a large Steltian Elite, with heavy black armor and piercing blue eyes. He is slightly hunchbacked, most likely due to the armor. He wears an oxygen mask, and has two horns, for exhaling waste.

Personality: Taurus is intelligent, and generally humble... Or at least tries to. Due to his Elite nature, he can seem a little conceited and arrogant. He also dislikes the higher ups, as they remind him of Sidorak. That said, Taurus is a fighter, and will vehemently defend his men. he is the field commander, and will lead the quests for the relics.

Bio: Taurus was once a colonel in Stelt's army, until Sidorak sent him on a mission that would lead to his paralyzation and his team's death. Abandoned on the shoreline, a passing Dark Hunter decided to take mercy on him, and took him to Odina. While there he was provided a complex suit that would keep him alive. Now rearmed and with the Dark Hunters, Taurus rose through the ranks... Until the battle of Mata Nui and Teridax.

Now that he was out, he was tasked to go with an organization to build the massive vault, and he oversaw the construction of the Labryinth. When Isfet emerged, he became the field commander... Until his forces were eradicated. Desperate for help, Taurus called out to the universes, to gain aid.

Name: Plandaí

Species: Toa of Plantlife

Alliance: Soldier

Gear: Plandaí possesses two simple wrist blades, as well as their Plant control powers. But, in addition to that, they have a massive coking supply, consisting of pots and pans, various utensils, ranging from knives to a whisk to a grater. They also have various spices, sauces, and oils to cook with, as well as tns of seeds. Plandaí also has a Great Hau, in a Metru style.

Appearance: Plandaí is a teal and green toa, about average size. They possess a Metru style Hau.

Personality: Plandaí is generally calm, but in a firefight, they can fight like a demon. That said, they normally stay back, helping feed the army, and all. Just note, Plandaí is a vegan, so don't complain about the lack of meat to them. They will give no sympathy to you.

Bio: Plandaí was always a Toa who liked to stay away from fighting, and help the Matoran in other ways. As such, when Teridax was defeated, Plandaí went with the group simply to feed them... Before getting caught up in the war against Isfet.

Made some changes to the way quests work (see Medjay) added some locations, as well as switching from an island to a network of caverns, and added some detail on the factions. Also added a cup le GM characters.

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

@Vault

Idea seems promising. Now, what's the point? Endless fighting of two sides or finding all of relics and defeating Isfet side? If latter, what is the goal of Isfet? To prevent it from happening or to get into Obelisk and convert all the good guys?
With 'die and respawn as bad guy' system, game might end up having two times more badies than good guys. If Ya'ew Isfet dies (if that's even possible), does he just die or respawn?

Species might be more cleared, listing all of them or saying you can choose from any existing (eg. is Skakdi possibility?). There should be two categories for powers (eg. elemental powers) and gear like weapons.

Plantaí is a subspecies of Toa? From different parts of the profile, it sounds there is more of them.
Little typo right at the start (GMed by Sassy Dalmatian) and in Plantaí gear (...sauces, and oils to cook with, as well as tns of seeds.)

@Vault

Idea seems promising. Now, what's the point? Endless fighting of two sides or finding all of relics and defeating Isfet side? If latter, what is the goal of Isfet? To prevent it from happening or to get into Obelisk and convert all the good guys?

With 'die and respawn as bad guy' system, game might end up having two times more badies than good guys. If Ya'ew Isfet dies (if that's even possible), does he just die or respawn?

Species might be more cleared, listing all of them or saying you can choose from any existing (eg. is Skakdi possibility?). There should be two categories for powers (eg. elemental powers) and gear like weapons.

Plantaí is a subspecies of Toa? From different parts of the profile, it sounds there is more of them.

Little typo right at the start (GMed by Sassy Dalmatian) and in Plantaí gear (...sauces, and oils to cook with, as well as tns of seeds.)

The point is to find the relics and to defeat Isfet, for the soldiers. As for the Ya'ew, their goal is a bit of both. They wish to convert all soldiers, but they fear the relics more.

I'm not yet sure how to keep the sides equal while keeping in the death mechanic, and I don't really want to limit freedom by limiting character numbers.

If one of the Ya'ew dies, they are dead. After all, it would rather OP for someone to have a character that couldn't die. We saw how well that worked in Asylum.

Good point on the species. I'll add some species, though you could play as most(and some custom species, too.

No, Plandaí is just a normal Toa. I believe Plantlife is a canon power.

Typos, I'll correct, though the real typo is my name :P Even so, I'll "correct" my name.

Edited by Sassy Dalmation

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg