The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Gotcha boss.

Anyway, speaking of my food-based Matoran Civil War idea from way back, I need some help thinking up cooking styles and what not for the separate Metrus. Po seems to be Tex-Mex right now, but I'm not too sure what could fit the others. Ta seems spicy to me.

I remember seeing a comedy where every Metru was a type of sweet food. Ta was fruit, Onu was cookie, Ko was ice cream, etc. But for your idea where they are normal food, then Ta would be spicy/hot foods, Ko would be really cold foods, Ga would be liquids, Po would be breads and high carbohydrates, Le would be fruits and Onu would be veggies.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Gotcha boss.

Anyway, speaking of my food-based Matoran Civil War idea from way back, I need some help thinking up cooking styles and what not for the separate Metrus. Po seems to be Tex-Mex right now, but I'm not too sure what could fit the others. Ta seems spicy to me.

Nahhhh, you got it backwards. Ta seems like more of a bar-and-grill type place to me. Charcoal and grill marks on everything they make.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Would my Rahkshi character be allowed to have a unique background/creation story?

Depends on the story. Bear in mind that the quirk giving the Rahkshi their intelligence is a biological thing that the Makuta have no idea about so if you're intending to be a clone or other lab experiment you probably aren't going to have developed it and so wouldn't be at the school

Long story short: this Rahkshi came straight from a pool of Antidermis without any Makuta involved.

I HATE SCORPIOS

Or maybe the six Metru could each specialize in one of the six flavors?

Ta: Spicy. Famous for its Great Furnace, which heats the district's insanely hot chili.

Ga: Salty. Its Purification Plant filters natural sea salt from protodermis to be used in making seaweed wraps and soy sauce for sushi, the district's specialty.

Le: Sour. Always on the go, Le-Matoran mainly eat fresh fruit, smoothies, and sandwiches with lots of vinegar and mustard.

Po: Savory. A hard-working Po-Matoran carver would think nothing of having a stack of pancakes, a bowl of refried beans and a Husi-fried steak at a single sitting.

Ko: Sweet. Always looking to the future, this district follows meals with highly intricate desserts. Their icy Knowledge Towers are perfect for making many varieties of ice cream and sorbet.

Onu: Bitter. The Archivists work day and night in near darkness, fueled by coffee, tea and chocolate. Their wide, flat rooftops make great gardens for herbs and salad greens.

• Upvote 4

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Would my Rahkshi character be allowed to have a unique background/creation story?

Depends on the story. Bear in mind that the quirk giving the Rahkshi their intelligence is a biological thing that the Makuta have no idea about so if you're intending to be a clone or other lab experiment you probably aren't going to have developed it and so wouldn't be at the school

Long story short: this Rahkshi came straight from a pool of Antidermis without any Makuta involved.

Eh, no, that would make you an entirely different kind of experiment and you wouldn't wind up at  the school

O, and if Ta gets steakhouses then Le gets gumbo. I know Le-Metru isn't the swamp Le-Wahi is but someone's gotta have gumbo

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Eh, no, that would make you an entirely different kind of experiment and you wouldn't wind up at  the school

O, and if Ta gets steakhouses then Le gets gumbo. I know Le-Metru isn't the swamp Le-Wahi is but someone's gotta have gumbo

Even if he came from the same pool as the other Rahkshi?

I HATE SCORPIOS

Kraata are typically pulled out of Makutas' chests or something; they aren't created from pure, unrefined antidermis. Think about the scene from Mask of Light. If it came out of a pool, it would be a Makuta, not a Rahkshi.

Well... Kraata are composed of the essence of Makuta- which is antidermis. Also, the intro to the description of the rpg talks about a Kraata in an antidermis pool.

I HATE SCORPIOS

Ok, first off: Somewhere, somehow, there has to be a sort of ethnic market steet. Something like a chinatown or lebanese street or something. Not sure what metru, but I DEMAND TRADERFOOD.

Second, and more on topic: Do any of the Koro have a contengency in place for attack? Are any clear leaders emerging? Are the matoran rallying? How painfully obvious is it that I am a newbie?

Essie: "Small talk subroutine complete. Were my useless vocalizations inane enough to bring you a sense of comfort?"

Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=763471

• 4 weeks later...

Timeloop shenanigans. Anyone think an RPG involving them is feasible?

Probably set in a 3-7 day period where some important event (in the RPG's canon) is about to happen and/or happens, then loop resets and some or all of the PCs have some leftover memories from the previous loop. Setup as a mystery-solving kind of thing. Difficulties I foresee would be that it'd require a lot of planning on the GM's part and probably railroading.

Not to mention handling the loops would require a lot of BZPtime avoidance / manipulation. Maybe enforcement of a 2:1 or 3:1 real time : RPG time schedule or something, so every 10~ real days we'd get through one loop?

Note, this is for the sake of idea gestation and exchange. I don't have anything written up like this.

...but close to it

A real life time to IC time works in things like RTSRPGs because you have a big grand setting where a few months can go by without anything major going on. When you get down to the personal level it gets harder for people who have to be away from the RPG for any length of time.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

A real life time to IC time works in things like RTSRPGs because you have a big grand setting where a few months can go by without anything major going on. When you get down to the personal level it gets harder for people who have to be away from the RPG for any length of time.

Can confirm. Having played that kind of RPG, it's fine to use a RL:RPG ratio since it's really big-scale. On personal-level RPGs, it's just too much of a headache.

• 2 weeks later...

No, no, no. Ga-Metru is the swampiest, it gets gumbo and jambalaya. And jazz. Gotta have that jazz.

Now I see Nokama belting out Louis Armstrong while mixing up a good pot of sausage and Creole rice.

Yeah, I love me some jambalaya. 

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

• 2 weeks later...

This has been churning in my head a couple days, some notes.

• Not set in the canon universe
  • Indeterminate amount of time / events between the old gods leaving and the new one messing with the world
  • The inhabitants / PCs do not know about the old Koros, canon characters and any gods. Old or new
  • The story is kind of light on purpose. The main focus on the RPG is on exploration, discovery and loot. I want to have an interesting and somewhat somber world that people are encouraged to explore and develop characters and relationships in. The story (and IC backstory) is more a way of setting that world up than the main focus
  • Yes, the main form of travel and combat is via tanks

Light on the back story

Plot Setup

In this world, is Destiny controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of God, hovering above?

At least it is true that we have no control; not even over our own will.

The death of our world is a long and drawn out affair. The brother deities Mata-Nui and Makuta had tired of and abandoned us long ago, taking with them the live and color of the world. Without light and shadow only drear grey remains. Rust and entropy claiming the history of our world and the minds that once chronicled it.

On the island of Mata-Nui, the city-states Vingt and Seize have long had an unstable peace. Equal in resources, size, population and advancement. They long ago withdrew behind their walls, content to sit and rust. Seeing their plight and taking what he considered pity, the trickster god Gwydion took our world into his hands and breathed new life into it. Influencing individuals within to rediscover ancient technology and knowledge.

Even then, this did not incite the island into conflict. Ever cautious, the two nations remained in ceasefire. Unsatisfied with the results, Gwydion created seven objects of great power, hiding them in Nomansland and incarnating into the world as a simple merchant, spreading rumors and riddles of the six sources of power. One was enough to destroy whole legions, whoever possessed all seven would have power beyond their wildest imagining. Now the gears begin to turn once more. Both nations funding and building up large armies, faculties science and research and preparing to send off great expeditions into the wastes, fallen prey to the whim of Gods once more.

Mode of transport:

Tanks

The island of Mata-Nui measures 357 kio from west to east and 178 kio from north to south, Nomansland occupying nearly two thirds of the landmass. The cities of Vingt and Seize are located in the remaining fertile land in the north and south east respectively. Because of the size of the island, travel on foot is impractical. Large Rahi that once served as mounts have gone extinct.

Most travel is done in heavy armor, colloquially referred to as tanks. They are one of the lost technologies that Gwydion revealed with his influence, an archaeological dig by the small independent city of Treize unearthing several tanks buried in the ices of Mt Ihu or bogged in the Marais Swamp. They were painstakingly reverse engineered and sold, branching into several classes and categories of vehicle.

Light Armor

Designed for speed and mobility, these are the smallest class of tanks. Vingt producing the Burnak and Seize the Kavinka. They require skilled pilots. The two stations being Driver and Gunner. The Driver must manage navigation via instruments and radio, the Gunner functions as optical navigator, loader and side-arm operator. This class of armor is equipped with a small coilgun and manual Kanoka-launcher, it is battery powered unlike it's larger cousins.

Medium Armor

Designed as a compromise between the light and heavy classes, medium armor forms the bulk of an armored division. Vingt produces the Kane-Ra and Seize the Manas. Able to function effectively either in close formation or as a member of a one to three vehicle unit for more mobile operations. Piloting one is less strenuous on any one person, featuring seats for a Gunner, Driver, Radio/Navigator role and an optional seat for a Loader. Powered by petrol (another recent discovery) they have longer range and better acceleration than their light cousins, but are beaten in speed over time. They feature a heavy Kanoka-launcher and a secondary gun that can amplify the user's elemental energies for longer range attacks. Intended for use by Toa or Skakdi.

Heavy Armor

Designed for stationary defense and fortress breaking. These models are rare and mostly kept to the cities as little actual fighting has occurred. They fill next to no role in the Nomansland expeditions because of their expense and lack of mobility. Vingt produces the Tahtorahk, Seize has plans for a larger Manas codenamed "Ash Bear", but has not put it into production as of yet. They require four pilots at minimum; Driver, Gunner, Loader and Radio/Navigator. With optional seats existing to split the Radio/Navigator roles or man the secondary weapons.

Being designed for city defense, they feature a larger variation of the coilgun found on light armor, powered by truly enormous batteries giving it a lethal range of several kio against other tank classes.

"Fikou"

An experimental class of armor. The tread of the other classes is replaced with six legs, allowing the tank to traverse a far wider range of terrain and find the best firing positions. None have seen field use as of yet, the first models tentatively planned for deployment with the expeditions, in expectation of terrain impassable for conventional armor. Weapons, size and armor are similar to Light class vehicles.

Quirks and locale

The World

BLK9k0h.png

Vingt

One of the two remaining fertile zones of the island, Vingt is built on land made rich by the ash and soot from a long dormant volcano at the east end of the Ihu Mountain range. The capital city is built far to the north, atop the ruins of lost Ta-Koro

Seize

The city-state of Seize was born in the other fertile zone, a natural jungle that stretches for dozens of kio. Thousands of years of working the land and native rahi taming the fierce environment. The capital stands over the remains of an ancient temple and the complex cave network below it. The catacombs are devoid of life, but spectres are said to haunt it's lowest levels

Treize

A small independent city, they were the last bastion of science and activity in the rusting eras. Now, due to the island's renewed interest in the sciences. Treize has become a much larger area. It is able to remain independent from the larger Seize due to it's more advanced Armor, which is *CLASSIFIED INFORMATION* based

Nomansland

The largest section of the island. It technically includes the Ihu Mountain Range, the subterranean city of the dead Ertrunken and Inselstein, a peninsula far to the northwest. The area commonly referred to as Nomansland is a vast stretch of urban rubble. Where the eastern third of the island features sparse vegetation, none grows here. Most of it is paved over with smooth rock and covered in buildings thought impossible to recreate. The knowledge of how it came to be has passed from living memory. Accurate maps no longer exist, once you cross from the mountains to the bizarre paved world, you are truly on your own

Subsections of Nomansland include the Ihu Mountain Range, a serious of peaks highest at the border between Seize and Vingt, crowned by a dormant volcano and a mountain tall enough to pierce the hazy clouds. An ancient observation facility is one of the last places you can see the stars on the island

Ertrunken is a vast network of caves. Many are filled with water or otherwise impassable, even less is explored here than Nomansland. The surface contains the remains of buildings similar to the northern wastes but the ground is covered in a curious glass-like green stone for kios at a time and the buildings melted and deformed, there are rumors of savages in some of the cave systems

Inselstein has no recorded maps or knowledge, it was not known of until one of the map-riddles contained crude directions and sketches of it

Okay, that is enough to write out for now, info on riddles, more maps, characters and rules are such are still tenuous. It looks a little worse on paper than in my head, but... I'm confident that the basic idea of exploring a post-apocalyptic and mysterious island with TANKS and searching for loot will work with enough hard work and guts.

EDIT: Just to confirm, more flavor and descriptions will come. I know one of the criticisms of my last idea was lack of that sort of thing, I just wanted to get a bare-bones idea out to have it bounced around.

Edited by Tiragath

...but close to it

So don't cross Nomansland. There does not appear to be anything useful on the other side or within it. And if you really have to (like, say, for the point of the RPG :P) then there are going to be ways that are faster and more efficient. Get a sled for example, and stick the engine you would be using for the tank on it. Lets you move faster without being burdened down by guns and armour that you don't need, means any damage is going to be an easier fix since there's less bits, can be slightly modified to move over a much more varied terrain than tanks...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

In a tank if someone hits us with a reconstitute at random Kanoka (likely, given tanks are bigger, slower targets) then I'm probably gone. Toa of Iron or Magnetism decides to tear my tank apart with their brain I'm gone. My big heavy tank collapses a chasm or cave system its driving over I'm gone. And so are all the resources and expenses you put into the tank, making it a much greater waste in a world where we're running out

7AOYGDJ.jpg

My love of tanks and post-apocalyptic settings will be the death of me... You do have to head on over to Nomansland, that's where the loot is. Well I mean, you could be a heavy armor operator and just kind of chill in town.

As for the practicality of tanks, yeah. Probably not the most practical. I'll work on some IC reasoning for it, probably retool the background to not be so depleted.

EDIT: Also, looks like several paragraphs got zapped when I posted, hence why it might seem jumpy. I'll retype things tomorrow, kind of late atm.

Edited by Tiragath

...but close to it

I think it miiight work, if certain Elements were outlawed. Or Toa in general. (I know, sounds sucky, but at least it balances the tanks)

It also gives reason to build tanks. With no Toa, they need defences.

Two more things would also make Tanks much more practical:

Put the important cities at the corners, away from each other, with wastelend in between, and include mutant Rahi. That way, trade and research necessitates crossing Rahi-infested Nomansland, thus, tanks.

Just some suggestions.

(BTW, these tanks are like IRL tanks? Or more like Steel Battalion Vertical Tanks?)

Edited by Tenth Norik
  • Upvote 4

Hmmm... Digging the concept here, Tiragath, but I'm getting the feeling that Toa of Iron or Magnetism would have to go through some serious restrictions in order to be playable characters. Also, if there's tension brewing between the two main cities, maybe putting them right next to each other might not be such a good idea. It's just my opinion, but maybe the map would work a little better if the three remaining points of civilization were organised in a more triangular formation with the other areas spread out between them and with no-man's land in the center where the all the mountains and valleys are, since the terrain would give absolutely everyone and no one an advantage at the same time.

The civilization breakdown theme is neat as well, and it reminded me of an idea I once had for an RPG... Fun times.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I agree. Perhaps with the apocalypse, all of the Toa were wiped out and no new ones could come into being. That would necessitate the creation of tanks and other more advanced technologies from the remnants of the old society. And all the equipment is in a poor state, which would mean groups would be forced to trade with each other, or salvage new materials from the nomansland. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Like with survival-horror elements? Because that would be interesting.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Nothing official from me, but I was thinking of an asylum RPG. Any thoughts on that?

I want everyone reading this to understand, the moment I read this line, I had about seventeen different jokes fly through my head. I am resisting the urge to use all of them and it is impossible.

To answer your question: Yes. But saying "asylum RPG" is one thing; giving us a short RPG write up to comment on is what we really need. Just do what you want, guy.

- SNIP -

There's a fairly simple way to get rid of the Toa, which ties directly into the lore. Just say that almost all Toa went Nova in an ancient war long ago. The survivors were purged with great effort, and all Toa Stones were destroyed, to keep the same thing from ever happening again. The few who remain are in isolation, with most now passing due to age; those who yet live are paranoid and incredibly powerful.

Another way to go about things, thematically, is to say that there is no more Destiny, for whatever reason. As someone must be Destined to become a Toa, without Destiny, no more Toa may be created. Finding ways to artificially create Toa, perhaps with the aid of stones crafted by an allied elder Toa (if one could be made, perhaps as a plot point?) would thus become a major objective for at least one of the nations.

Now, to alleviate the concern for tanks which is fuel - don't have them be traditional tanks, or use fuel. Rather than normal treads, have them operate as giant landships, with levitation disks holding them just above the ground, and some contraption derived from similar technology driving the machine forward. Light and Medium tanks would move at the same speed; however, Light ones would be capable of achieving limited flight, giving them a greater advantage. Heavy ones would be too large to move the same way, and would thus require standard engines; Fikou would just keep doing what they're doing.

In general, remember that it's a Bionicle RPG; do the Bionicle thing.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

My basic idea is that the characters you can play as would either be Matoran or Agori doctors or patients. There'd be some leading characters, but overall it would be very dark and gloomy. Considering this Asylum would have guards, no cell fights. That would take care of an issue that I have seen way too often in Corpus Rahkshi - Senseless and constant violence.

Of course, a few good plot twists and a storyline is needed, but if people want to fight real bad, in some cases i'll prevent guards from getting there so fast.

Okay, I figured that I'd put this here even though I'm thinking that it would probably be too big of an idea for the time alotted, not to mention the number of topics it would possibly require just to function correctly. I'm honestly not even sure if it's worth developing or anything, but I guess posting it so you guys can look it over is better than just sitting on it and doing nothing. Please bear in mind that this isn't entirely fleshed out either.

So the basic premise is that someone out there has this entire continent to use as their personal research lab, but said person hasn't been applying the necessary upkeep to their "playground," and the entire place has fallen into total disrepair. The only thing that seems to still be functioning is an AI-controlled, one-way teleportation system that occasionally brings new "test subjects" (a.k.a. the PC's) to the continent because it obviously didn't get the memo that the tests have long since been abandoned. There isn't really a story beyond that, per se, as it's more of an open-world RPG, but there are locations littered throughout the continent where the characters can discover what led to the downfall of their corresponding areas.

Unfortunately for the PC's, getting around this new land and merely surviving from day to day isn't going to be a walk in the park; the less civilised areas (and even some portions of the hub cities) are swarming with Rahi, bandits, head-hunters, and even some unfortunate victims of past experiments who have either long since lost their minds, mutated well beyond the point of recognition, or both. There are also specific "Abominations" - uber-experiments that are connected in some way to what their specific hubs were designed to research - that roam around their pre-designated areas and pretty much just attack everything on sight. These creatures are mostly invincible, attack randomly (GM's discretion), and act sort of like bosses for the game; until someone finds the corresponding vault that hey have escaped from, learns of their weaknesses, and gets enough friends to help them kill one (upon which they will "drop" some very interesting loot), it's best just to try to flee from them.

Speaking of gear, all of the characters obtain a device that limits them from using their powers too often, forcing their players to approach combat more strategically. While masked characters do have the slight advantage of having Suvas, upping their Kanohi count to three, the masks are of a very low quality and are designed to break after a set amount of uses, which in turn are determined by the mask in question. Weapons can also be destroyed via use, so carrying more than one is highly advised. Things such as foreign tech can only be obtained from vaults and by defeating the Abominations, and some other interesting stuff may appear from time to time as well. Trade has also rather unfortunately devolved into a crude barter system, so characters will have to be on the lookout for items if they are in need of other supplies.

Other than the stuff above, players are virtually free to do what they want after their characters arrive. Want to start up your own bandit clan and try to muscle people out of their stuff? Do it. Want to form a millitia to stop said aforementioned bandits and try to maintain some semblance of order? Go right ahead. Want to organise a roving band of looters who are trying to discover all of the vaults and kill the Abominations just to have a few stories to tell at the local tavern? Nobody's stopping you. While surviving may be the commom goal, there are many different ways to do it.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Has the Entropy Beetle plot progressed at all? It seems to only be the same few people posting, but I feel like it should be a huge event. All of Le-Koro was evacuated, that doesn't happen very often. Shouldnt there be some staff involvement? 

Hair back, collar up, jet black, so cool, sing it like the kids that are mean to you!

BzpRpg Profile

Yeah, I've been wondering on that.

Anyway, for my RPG on the asylum, there would be some kind of an unknown monster that comes at certain nights and attempts to kill people. No, it's not always successful, but it's a reason to be wary. Characters that survive will be put to the ultimate test of figuring out what is going on, and at random scientists will be made patients. The whole game is essentially a plot twist.

The location would be on an island very similar to Alcatraz, except high up and with sharp rocks lining the shores. There would be a lot of testing on the "patients" and not all of them are really insane. Plus anyone who plays as a scientist will be tasked to errands and will be completely naïve to any plot-important occurrences.