The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Has the Entropy Beetle plot progressed at all? It seems to only be the same few people posting, but I feel like it should be a huge event. All of Le-Koro was evacuated, that doesn't happen very often. Shouldnt there be some staff involvement? 

Wrong topic. :P You're looking for the News and Discussion Topic.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Has the Entropy Beetle plot progressed at all? It seems to only be the same few people posting, but I feel like it should be a huge event. All of Le-Koro was evacuated, that doesn't happen very often. Shouldnt there be some staff involvement? 

Take a drink?

Anyway, for my RPG on the asylum, there would be some kind of an unknown monster that comes at certain nights and attempts to kill people. No, it's not always successful, but it's a reason to be wary. Characters that survive will be put to the ultimate test of figuring out what is going on, and at random scientists will be made patients. The whole game is essentially a plot twist.

The location would be on an island very similar to Alcatraz, except high up and with sharp rocks lining the shores. There would be a lot of testing on the "patients" and not all of them are really insane. Plus anyone who plays as a scientist will be tasked to errands and will be completely naïve to any plot-important occurrences.

No playable doctors, methinks. Too many factions makes for an odd split. Let the players form up naturally. Plus, it works better thematically.

My main issue so far is I don't see what specifically makes this a Bionicle RPG. Any thoughts on how you plan to accomplish that?

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Nothing official from me, but I was thinking of an asylum RPG. Any thoughts on that?

I want everyone reading this to understand, the moment I read this line, I had about seventeen different jokes fly through my head. I am resisting the urge to use all of them and it is impossible.

To answer your question: Yes. But saying "asylum RPG" is one thing; giving us a short RPG write up to comment on is what we really need. Just do what you want, guy.

- SNIP -

There's a fairly simple way to get rid of the Toa, which ties directly into the lore. Just say that almost all Toa went Nova in an ancient war long ago. The survivors were purged with great effort, and all Toa Stones were destroyed, to keep the same thing from ever happening again. The few who remain are in isolation, with most now passing due to age; those who yet live are paranoid and incredibly powerful.

Another way to go about things, thematically, is to say that there is no more Destiny, for whatever reason. As someone must be Destined to become a Toa, without Destiny, no more Toa may be created. Finding ways to artificially create Toa, perhaps with the aid of stones crafted by an allied elder Toa (if one could be made, perhaps as a plot point?) would thus become a major objective for at least one of the nations.

Now, to alleviate the concern for tanks which is fuel - don't have them be traditional tanks, or use fuel. Rather than normal treads, have them operate as giant landships, with levitation disks holding them just above the ground, and some contraption derived from similar technology driving the machine forward. Light and Medium tanks would move at the same speed; however, Light ones would be capable of achieving limited flight, giving them a greater advantage. Heavy ones would be too large to move the same way, and would thus require standard engines; Fikou would just keep doing what they're doing.

In general, remember that it's a Bionicle RPG; do the Bionicle thing.

Toa ; It's a combo of death via battle + lack of destiny. I have a more fleshed out post waiting in the wings, I just end up editting it every time I mean to post it. Matoran have an external macguffin that allows turaga-level elemental powers. Skakdi and Vortixx are going to be present, but limited in various ways (for example, tanks are obviously matoran sized)

Toa Stones ; These are actually a planned plot point later into the game, so *REDACTED* and yeah.

Tanks ; Again, more info post is gonna be made. Eventually. The main classes of tanks will be keeping the treads and have been revised to have a liquid fuel system + a kanohi as a "battery" that will give them some of the powers associated with them. Seeing as how most Toa and Turaga are dead, those great and noble kanohi have to have SOME use.

As for questions about the geography, I don't plan to move the nomansland between the remaining civilizations. If it HAS to be constantly traversed for trade and messages or whatever, it loses some of the hamfisted mystery associated with it. The expedition into it for mysterious objects of power is more or less the only major exploration of it in the current age. The various states/factions aren't openly fighting because there exist no clear advantages. In a somewhat run down world, fighting a battle with valuable resources without a big advantage would be... Iffy at best imo.

...but close to it

Take a drink?

Anyway, for my RPG on the asylum, there would be some kind of an unknown monster that comes at certain nights and attempts to kill people. No, it's not always successful, but it's a reason to be wary. Characters that survive will be put to the ultimate test of figuring out what is going on, and at random scientists will be made patients. The whole game is essentially a plot twist.

The location would be on an island very similar to Alcatraz, except high up and with sharp rocks lining the shores. There would be a lot of testing on the "patients" and not all of them are really insane. Plus anyone who plays as a scientist will be tasked to errands and will be completely naïve to any plot-important occurrences.

No playable doctors, methinks. Too many factions makes for an odd split. Let the players form up naturally. Plus, it works better thematically.

My main issue so far is I don't see what specifically makes this a Bionicle RPG. Any thoughts on how you plan to accomplish that?

Well, I'm certain Metru Nui has some psychiatric facilities, and considering the complete lack of OSHA compliance the city has, I'd assume that such an asylum would have something running around inside. I'll take a wild guess and say that if a Matoran asylum had a monster running around, it'd be a combination of Freddy Fazbear, Freddy Kruger, and that thing running around inside that house in Amityville.

Plus, such a concept has a rather easy solution; just add robot, stir throughly, microwave for 5 minutes, enjoy.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Now, to alleviate the concern for tanks which is fuel - don't have them be traditional tanks, or use fuel. Rather than normal treads, have them operate as giant landships, with levitation disks holding them just above the ground, and some contraption derived from similar technology driving the machine forward.

No no no no.

Tanks must have treads. Tanks are not cool without those enormous chainlink wedges of heavy, mean-looking iron and steel going clank-clank-clank and digging into the dirt and kicking up great billows of dust and grappling through the blood and mud and crushing rubble and dead bodies beneath them. That'd be... like... a dragon without talons, or teeth. It's just not the same. It's just not as... poetic. B-)

• Upvote 3

Don't know how well it would work out, but an alternative idea would be to slap some tank-looking armor and weapons onto some Manas and call it a day.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Now, to alleviate the concern for tanks which is fuel - don't have them be traditional tanks, or use fuel. Rather than normal treads, have them operate as giant landships, with levitation disks holding them just above the ground, and some contraption derived from similar technology driving the machine forward.

No no no no.

Tanks must have treads. Tanks are not cool without those enormous chainlink wedges of heavy, mean-looking iron and steel going clank-clank-clank and digging into the dirt and kicking up great billows of dust and grappling through the blood and mud and crushing rubble and dead bodies beneath them. That'd be... like... a dragon without talons, or teeth. It's just not the same. It's just not as... poetic. B-)

Ditto. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

No no no no.

Ditto. 

Don't be silly. Machines don't have treads, animals do. Sheesh, L2Bionicle. :P

• Upvote 1

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

To turn the asylum into a bonkle RPG isn't too hard. Let's do some thing easier, say, a school for Rahkshi.

To have certain characters be sucked away at random points in the story is pretty essential, or at least I think so. What happens to them is still a mystery, but I'm very open to suggestions for this one. I'm wondering if it would be too hard to keep things peaceable if I add in Vortixx and Skakdi to the mix, considering Skakdi are usually very violent. Toa? no. Insane Toa are just killed unlike this case where people are "helped". But too little species variety means people would not like to play.

To turn the asylum into a bonkle RPG isn't too hard. Let's do some thing easier, say, a school for Rahkshi.

To have certain characters be sucked away at random points in the story is pretty essential, or at least I think so. What happens to them is still a mystery, but I'm very open to suggestions for this one. I'm wondering if it would be too hard to keep things peaceable if I add in Vortixx and Skakdi to the mix, considering Skakdi are usually very violent. Toa? no. Insane Toa are just killed unlike this case where people are "helped". But too little species variety means people would not like to play.

Yet Corpus Rahkshi is one of the most successful RPGs this forum has ever seen. It's not species variety, the most important part of an RPG is having an interesting concept and great writing.

Just limit Toa and other elemental species, IMO, if you do add them in. Give the asylum an indestructible device that saps elemental energy or something.

Edited by Toa of Dancing
  • Upvote 4

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

That's the beauty of RPGs/fan fiction/story telling. You can make up the weird physics, reasons, and purposes for whatever you want. Technology doesn't have to follow the curve of the Bionicle universe to still fit within the realms of the BRPG forum. I think that an asylum RPG could work great.

What I'm saying is, if you did include Toa, I would just give a reason as to why they wouldn't be OP. Have the scientists of your world make a serum that limits elemental abilities, or maybe have chips that are implanted into all of the inmate's brains that can limit abilities. That's what I meant.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

Perfect! i'll create restraint jackets!(NOT straight jackets, mind you) They're simply a vest that slips over the user that is equipped with electrical stunners, a homing device, and is protosteel braced, so they can't just be cracked in two. They'll be important in some way or another besides that, of course.

Exactly. Get those creative juices flowing. That's the reason this topic exists.

Now this is sounding interesting. Maybe make it kinda Deadman Wonderland-ish. Or not. But that's the vibe I'm getting here. It intrigues me, for sure.

Edited by Toa of Dancing

What I'm saying is, if you did include Toa, I would just give a reason as to why they wouldn't be OP. Have the scientists of your world make a serum that limits elemental abilities, or maybe have chips that are implanted into all of the inmate's brains that can limit abilities. That's what I meant.

Why not just take away their masks? Wouldn't that be a whole lot easier?

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Perfect! i'll create restraint jackets!(NOT straight jackets, mind you) They're simply a vest that slips over the user that is equipped with electrical stunners, a homing device, and is protosteel braced, so they can't just be cracked in two. They'll be important in some way or another besides that, of course.

Heck, here's another idea: Let's say, in this world, a bunch of Toa are going insane, for... some reason, I dunno, probably the Brotherhood. So the sane ones design a sanitarium to care for them. Over time, the sanitarium starts taking in more than just Toa, and becomes more like an asylum, but as the old ones die, the powers start to wane. So, people with elemental powers, of various races, are all taken captive, simply for showing the slightest signs of crazy. The asylum is mostly forgotten, leaving only a few researchers; with lax security, something, which gains powers from non-elemental sources, manages to slip in from the waters. Some of the researchers become wise to this, and find a way to lock the beast in with the patients, though they aren't aware of this.

Of course, this leaves mask powers. The solution? Everyone wears common, powerless masks. Not like the insane ones can focus anyways, eh?

EDIT: I propose we rename this topic to "Ninjas on Speed".

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely no clue what you're reffering to, Dancing.

And Roman, it's because they go unconscious.

Matoran fall into a coma and can sometimes die without their masks. Toa don't fall unconscious, but their powers become severely limited, since they lose the focus to use them properly. From BS01: Toa feel weak and dizzy, Turaga suffer extreme weakness, and Matoran lapse into a coma-like state if the mask is not replaced within an extended period of time. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Heck, here's another idea: Let's say, in this world, a bunch of Toa are going insane, for... some reason, I dunno, probably the Brotherhood. So the sane ones design a sanitarium to care for them. Over time, the sanitarium starts taking in more than just Toa, and becomes more like an asylum

"Up north, the undead are corraled into the undead asylum. To hollow and await the end of days."

Dark Souls is actually a primary inspiration for unnamed tank RPG.

Which will be done soon.

...but close to it

*steals idea from Zehvor* if you're okay with my burglary, of course.

The Makuta developed a weaponized material that turns Toa insane. Years go by with Toa In institutions, and it eventually is believed Toa are insane no matter what. So only a few players will be nuts, while the rest of them will be their usual nutty selves. :P

Normal masks, Toa harnesses, an unknown beast ready to kill, and some entity behind it all who is not only running the operation but is turning Toa into tools, making superpowered artificial warriors powered from the Toa's own minds. In other words, add robot, mix thoroughly, microwave for five minutes, and enjoy. Serves everyone.

Actually, the creature and the lack of powers could be connected. A large sort of nexus designed to sap elemental and mask energy, but said energy isn't disposed of properly, resulting in it coalescing into Freddy Fazbear and Freddy Kruger's lovechild.

Basically, less adventure-comedy like the standard BZPRPG, and more survival horror... with robots.

You know, ghidora, I could draw up a map of the asylum for you, perhaps flesh out some areas, if you'd like.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

If you're going to let people be Toa, but not give them elemental powers or mask powers (which, for the record, is a step I approve of, hard to make things scary around a character who can set things on fire with their mind) then whats the point in letting them be Toa at all? They're just Matoran, but taller, so why not just stick to Matoran?

And if you really were dead set on species variety, why not just set it on Bara Magna? No-one there has any actual powers (pre Mata Nui anyway), its all within weapons. So just make sure they don't get any weapons (which, as an asylum, you should be doing anyway :P) and you're golden. People could be Agori, Glatorian, Skrall...

Plus, there's bound to be horrific stuff left over from the Core War (case in point, the Baterra) which provides an easy origin for your monster

• Upvote 2

7AOYGDJ.jpg

If you're going to let people be Toa, but not give them elemental powers or mask powers (which, for the record, is a step I approve of, hard to make things scary around a character who can set things on fire with their mind) then whats the point in letting them be Toa at all? They're just Matoran, but taller, so why not just stick to Matoran?

And if you really were dead set on species variety, why not just set it on Bara Magna? No-one there has any actual powers (pre Mata Nui anyway), its all within weapons. So just make sure they don't get any weapons (which, as an asylum, you should be doing anyway :P) and you're golden. People could be Agori, Glatorian, Skrall...

Plus, there's bound to be horrific stuff left over from the Core War (case in point, the Baterra) which provides an easy origin for your monster

For once, I actually have a good answer to this question:

In the MU, Toa are the mightiest of the mighty. Sure, Makuta and some Dark Hunters are more powerful, but they're the exception, not the norm; further, Toa work in teams, which allows them combat such beings, when such a scenario arises. Thematically, the purpose of a Toa in such a setting is to cast a "mighty have fallen" vibe. In fact, it wouldn't be inappropriate to have Toa become the most discriminated against group, with Skakdi and the like taking advantage of the situation to pummel them while they can't do anything about it.

In fact, going off of my idea, that would actually make the situation; kill the ones who are unintentionally powering the facility, everything goes. One might also have the Monster catch wind of this, and start killing off Toa, hoping to cut off the power drained by the energy absorber and close off the facility; thus, rather than gain importance from their powers, they gain importance from their lack of powers.

It's all about how you set the tone, in this case. Of course, this really only works if players are willing to roleplay the situation appropriately. I fully endorse the Monster ganking those who don't.

"Up north, the undead are corraled into the undead asylum. To hollow and await the end of days."

Dark Souls is actually a primary inspiration for unnamed tank RPG.

Which will be done soon.

Hadn't really made the connection. :P

Get this thing done. Even if my main interest in a tank RPG is to see the number of Valkyra Chronicles references in the characters, it's still an interest.

*steals idea from Zehvor* if you're okay with my burglary, of course

Pssh, it's not burglary when it's given. I doubt I'll ever write an RPG again, so heck, all of my posts are open source.

*high fives Zehvor* Nice! In fact, let's have a quick summary...

Players start off being transported in security vehicles across the (ocean, wasteland, battleground, etc.) area to the Asylum. Decay and high security are seen everywhere. No one is safe finding a way out on this condition. After all these many years, Toa are considered flat-out insane the moment they become Toa, so in Matoran minds, to be a Toa is a dreadful thing. When they get there, they are allowed to converse, do stuff, eat, read, etc., but at night they will never get a wink of sleep because the monster will roam the halls, searching out those who have high power or something or other.

Then there's the doctors, scientists, guards, etc. HOw will they play in, I don't know. But to have an asylum with no kind of supposed medical researchers there is really bad. In an attempt to destroy the minds of the Toa, they give them the fear of the monster, the watchful eye of the doctors and security, and to top it all off, there are horrid amalgamations of deceased Toa, stuffed with electronics and the sort, which will be any type of Toa the monster has killed. Whether or not the player who played the Toa gets control of the amalgamation puppet is rather concerning, since not letting them play it might be considered insulting and deriving them of their playing experience, but then again they might misuse the level that they will be given at that point.

And finally, I will need someone who is good at stuff and things to assist me on this. It's going to be huge.

Looking forward to a completed plan of the RPG to go with that map. 

I'm thinking it's a bad idea on the part of the researchers to put the place where all the dangerous prisoners are next to the thing that keeps everyone from breaking everything. :P

• Upvote 1

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Think of the good folks at the Metru Nui Sanitarium like Aperture Science. The researchers tend to be crazier than the patients. 

Of course, and this is a guideline for anyone who wants to make a character, crazy patients are the exception, not the rule.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Karzahni Heights?

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Some (not-so) sage advice, go for the more exotic name. People are attracted to the more crazy, specific names than the general ones. Karzahni Heights sounds best IMO. Though maybe Camp Karzahni. Or Karzahni's Closet. I like incorporating Karzahni in the name, it fits well.

...St. Karz's Asylum? =P

Edited by Toa of Dancing