The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

By "most of us," I meant the experienced RPers posting in this topic who aren't previously attached (at least for a long time) to Bionifight. If the people in this topic say probably not, the judges are definitely likely to echo the same sentiments (especially as some of the pople here are judges).

I definitely understand that I haven't been involved in it in years, and I imagine it has notably changed. If you give it life, story, a reason to be an RPG and not a game, I'll be happy to see it. As it is, though, it seems like a skeleton. I'd like top see you flesh it out as you've stated, adding a reason and an explanation. However, what you've just said is contradictory to what has already been said in this topic. If it is about finding a way out, then don't say it's about fighting. Keep to one side of the argument.

The two week cycle really depends upon what the RPG is actually focused. If you want to focus on the tournament, make it two week fight cycles, otherwise a week on a week off. Or do two weeks on and a week off. Real time in an RPG gets dicey.

Overall, I've got to echo Tyler's sentiment. Unless this becomes story-driven, then I think it works far better as a game. If you don't ant to change, don't, and let it thrive in G&T. =3

Shadowhawk, this topic represents part of the RPG forum playerbase. Not all or even most for sure, but it's not one person's philosophy, it's multiple people saying we think this would work better with some fleshing out and/or a few changes.

You are talking like the focus can't be on both the fighting and finding a way out; can a story not have multiple focuses, multiple plot points? If I am supposed to limit my players to a single objective, then I'm not quite sure what to say. There will be players who wish to play for the story, and there will be players who wish to play for the fighting, and there will be players who wish to play for both. 

As far as time - it is always flexible. If I find that, for example, a two week model is too short, then I will extend it to three weeks; adjustments can always be made.

If that's how it came off, I did not mean it to sound as such. This was written with the assumption that the clause about being instantly teleported no matter what would stay in. I think that's just a little bit too limiting if you want character development, which generally requires interaction and exploration outside of battle. If that's removed, then I think it looks a lot better.

All in all, Krayzikk said pretty much of my concerns in his post.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

By "most of us," I meant the experienced RPers posting in this topic who aren't previously attached (at least for a long time) to Bionifight. If the people in this topic say probably not, the judges are definitely likely to echo the same sentiments (especially as some of the pople here are judges).

I definitely understand that I haven't been involved in it in years, and I imagine it has notably changed. If you give it life, story, a reason to be an RPG and not a game, I'll be happy to see it. As it is, though, it seems like a skeleton. I'd like top see you flesh it out as you've stated, adding a reason and an explanation. However, what you've just said is contradictory to what has already been said in this topic. If it is about finding a way out, then don't say it's about fighting. Keep to one side of the argument.

The two week cycle really depends upon what the RPG is actually focused. If you want to focus on the tournament, make it two week fight cycles, otherwise a week on a week off. Or do two weeks on and a week off. Real time in an RPG gets dicey.

Overall, I've got to echo Tyler's sentiment. Unless this becomes story-driven, then I think it works far better as a game. If you don't ant to change, don't, and let it thrive in G&T. =3

Shadowhawk, this topic represents part of the RPG forum playerbase. Not all or even most for sure, but it's not one person's philosophy, it's multiple people saying we think this would work better with some fleshing out and/or a few changes.

You are talking like the focus can't be on both the fighting and finding a way out; can a story not have multiple focuses, multiple plot points? If I am supposed to limit my players to a single objective, then I'm not quite sure what to say. There will be players who wish to play for the story, and there will be players who wish to play for the fighting, and there will be players who wish to play for both. 

As far as time - it is always flexible. If I find that, for example, a two week model is too short, then I will extend it to three weeks; adjustments can always be made.

If that's how it came off, I did not mean it to sound as such. This was written with the assumption that the clause about being instantly teleported no matter what would stay in. I think that's just a little bit too limiting if you want character development, which generally requires interaction and exploration outside of battle. If that's removed, then I think it looks a lot better.

All in all, Krayzikk said pretty much of my concerns in his post.

I think, factoring in what Krayzikk said, that the whole "instant teleport" thing works fine and will stay in; there are a multitude of ways that it can be built into the conflict of the RPG.

This seems interesting. I have a question, though. If I want my character to be dual-wielding swords, does that count as one weapon/power or two? Also, are mask powers not a thing, or do you have to sacrifice a weapon/power to have one?

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Also, no, TPtI was already well established at that point. He was basically my mentor in RPing, just general "you idiot what are you doing" except more nicely worded because he's a great guy.

Aw shucks Dancing, I'm touched. Have a cookie.

Anyway, since you've said you'll be changing things, just a few comments on the more hot button issues.

• Yes, I think removing the health point system is a good thing. People always think it makes things easier but it really doesn't. I mean, since environmental extremes are a hazard are we also going to end up having things like fatigue take effect? If my character gets an arm lopped off do they just lose HP for the dismemberment or does bleeding become a continual drain? What happens if a fight should have ended a whole page ago because of one character running out of HP, but the staff only got online just now to judge it? Does loss of health get greater as the fight goes on and Death of a Thousand Cuts starts to take effect? And if your answer is "common sense applies"...well then why shouldn't common sense apply through the whole thing and not a HP system?
  • While I think a focus on fighting can work, and has a number of times in the past, you really are going to need to add more detail to the locations. I mean...where do our characters live? Do we just continually sleep in those resting areas in the locker rooms? If we get knocked out of a battle early, where do we go, what can we do while everyone else battles? Is it, again, just hanging around in the locker rooms?
  • And yes, I think you do need go with something other than a weekly schedule. If you get enough players I reckon arena fights could last a week just by themselves, which leaves the odd situation where you end up being teleported from a fight in the arena so you can go to a fight in the arena like some terrible Groundhog Day gladiator. Honestly I'd suggest not even sticking to a schedule at all, even the alternating one. Just let the fights play out naturally and give people a decent amount of downtime in between
  • Have you mentioned doing anything about extending the profile to have three power/weapon slots? Because I really can't see any reason why you wouldn't have enough for a Toa to have their usual power, element and weapon (the power may be in them, but the sword is the focus!) combo they pretty much always have. I can see it being used for balancing if we had multiple different species and you wanted to keep it so a Matoran could go toe to toe with a Skakdi without carrying his own body weight in equipment but here everyone's Toa, everyone has the same abilities anyway, so limited them seems...arbitrary. Giving them the usual three allows for more creative combos of their powers and its not like it prevents them having the fancy weaponry you said you liked.
  • On the subject of Toa, and possibly contradicting my last point, what if the universe our character comes from has a different definition of Toa? A contender from the Melding Universe would appear to be a Matoran, but what if our universe had Skakdi as Toa? Do we still get to pick out from their various abilities?
  • Upvote 5

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Yes, I think removing the health point system is a good thing. People always think it makes things easier but it really doesn't. I mean, since environmental extremes are a hazard are we also going to end up having things like fatigue take effect? If my character gets an arm lopped off do they just lose HP for the dismemberment or does bleeding become a continual drain? What happens if a fight should have ended a whole page ago because of one character running out of HP, but the staff only got online just now to judge it? Does loss of health get greater as the fight goes on and Death of a Thousand Cuts starts to take effect? And if your answer is "common sense applies"...well then why shouldn't common sense apply through the whole thing and not a HP system?

For one, staff will be online pretty constantly between everyone's schedules. Secondly, if there is an HP system, as soon as their HP hits zero, they're out of the fight; no ifs ands or buts.

There is one point to removing it, since it's already self regulated(and done pretty well, I might add), so it might not be as necessary as long as everyone keeps common sense in the back of their mind and such.

While I think a focus on fighting can work, and has a number of times in the past, you really are going to need to add more detail to the locations. I mean...where do our characters live? Do we just continually sleep in those resting areas in the locker rooms? If we get knocked out of a battle early, where do we go, what can we do while everyone else battles? Is it, again, just hanging around in the locker rooms?

You can wander around the area in general and explore, and try to figure out where the place even is. Basically, endless possibilities once out of a fight, other than like hopping dimensions or going to Metru Nui or something like that.

And yes, I think you do need go with something other than a weekly schedule. If you get enough players I reckon arena fights could last a week just by themselves, which leaves the odd situation where you end up being teleported from a fight in the arena so you can go to a fight in the arena like some terrible Groundhog Day gladiator. Honestly I'd suggest not even sticking to a schedule at all, even the alternating one. Just let the fights play out naturally and give people a decent amount of downtime in between

Just for a bit of perspective, when the rounds ended before, there was a day cooldown in between, but, the downtime idea does sound like it could work. But, trust me, the fights will end pretty quickly barring inactiveness... We're pretty good at going 'ah forget it' and heading onto another opponent if someone goes inactive for longer than should be obvious during the fight. (like a day or two) Especially if we're attacked in the mean-time. =P

Have you mentioned doing anything about extending the profile to have three power/weapon slots? Because I really can't see any reason why you wouldn't have enough for a Toa to have their usual power, element and weapon (the power may be in them, but the sword is the focus!) combo they pretty much always have. I can see it being used for balancing if we had multiple different species and you wanted to keep it so a Matoran could go toe to toe with a Skakdi without carrying his own body weight in equipment but here everyone's Toa, everyone has the same abilities anyway, so limited them seems...arbitrary. Giving them the usual three allows for more creative combos of their powers and its not like it prevents them having the fancy weaponry you said you liked.

We have been considering it, yeah. /nods. I can see both sides, since you need to be craftier with only one power and a weapon(or two powers and no weapons or vice versa); but you definitely can become even more creative with a three slot character.

On the subject of Toa, and possibly contradicting my last point, what if the universe our character comes from has a different definition of Toa? A contender from the Melding Universe would appear to be a Matoran, but what if our universe had Skakdi as Toa? Do we still get to pick out from their various abilities?

That is... actually a very good question. I personally wouldn't rule it out since the powers for Toa aren't as cut and dry for this as usual, but it is a very good thing that I think we only considered in terms of appearances or so.

There is one point to removing it, since it's already self regulated(and done pretty well, I might add), so it might not be as necessary as long as everyone keeps common sense in the back of their mind and such.

Well if at least one of the staff is online at any time to keep an eyes on things then there's even less reason for a health system. You think someone is abusing the rules and soaking up too much damage then you just step in.

You can wander around the area in general and explore, and try to figure out where the place even is. Basically, endless possibilities once out of a fight, other than like hopping dimensions or going to Metru Nui or something like that.

Didn't really answer my question. Where would our characters sleep? The resting areas in the locker room just sound like temporary benches for us to sit at before being called out, so where we go after exhausting ourself in the arena? And for that matter, where would we eat? Do we just snack on the books in the library? You need to explain the world a bit more than "tunnels and some other stuff"

Just for a bit of perspective, when the rounds ended before, there was a day cooldown in between, but, the downtime idea does sound like it could work. But, trust me, the fights will end pretty quickly barring inactiveness... We're pretty good at going 'ah forget it' and heading onto another opponent if someone goes inactive for longer than should be obvious during the fight. (like a day or two) Especially if we're attacked in the mean-time. =P

Erm, yeah, really think you're underestimating how long fights can take. One on one, sure, they tend to be pretty short, but mass brawls? They're going to take a while, and the more people you get the longer they're going to take, just to eliminate everyone

• Upvote 2

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Well if at least one of the staff is online at any time to keep an eyes on things then there's even less reason for a health system. You think someone is abusing the rules and soaking up too much damage then you just step in.

That's a good point, yeah. Like, I mean, there might be a couple random times when no-one's on, but that's like early morning when no-one's on at all, or so. xP

Didn't really answer my question. Where would our characters sleep? The resting areas in the locker room just sound like temporary benches for us to sit at before being called out, so where we go after exhausting ourself in the arena? And for that matter, where would we eat? Do we just snack on the books in the library? You need to explain the world a bit more than "tunnels and some other stuff"

Discussing the sleeping situation with Tex right now; but as for eating, I'm certain there's at least a food court withing the arena building, like any good arena would have.

As far as explaining the world, I'm fine with that since that's like my forte when I'm in the zone, except for one thing; would that not remove any mystery?

Erm, yeah, really think you're underestimating how long fights can take. One on one, sure, they tend to be pretty short, but mass brawls? They're going to take a while, and the more people you get the longer they're going to take, just to eliminate everyone

Not really. We've had full out brawls in every Bionifight so far, and at the very least since Ultimate, we've had the week-long schedule. 9/10 times, we're down to at the most two or three players by the end of each round, sans the people who sign up and then utterly vanish. (Or in the case of midway into Drift Force, people who died and kept forgetting they had a free revive for that game. xP)

That said, eliminating everyone isn't necessarily the signal of the round's end, which we've addressed already. If people are alive, they're ranked on how many KOs they got through the round.

• Upvote 2

The week limit is...That's not long enough if you have really good writers with good characters, though. Since these posts are gonna be kinda long, not like G&T where you have to keep it short, it's really easy for combat to take place over the better part of a month for what's roughly an hour in-game. My mind drifts back to the previously mentioned The Gate, where Captain and someone else (was it you TPTI?) had an epic cinematic battle over several days between just the two of them.

And HP doesn't really make sense because it's an arbitrary metric to an incredibly nuanced thing. Reducing injuries to a series of numbers doesn't do them any justice. If I lose 10 hp for having my arm cut off and two for being burned, then getting burned five times is just as damaging as having an arm cut off, even though they would pose completely different issues and alter how you reacted very differently.

• Upvote 1

All are not the same

But three shall be as one

Freedom in the flame

The end has just begun

Actually, not having a set schedule for the fights could be interesting. Let the fights just go naturally until they end, but don't have a set period of time until the next one. In other words, don't let it become predictable. That way, the fighters have no idea how much time they have to explore and figure out what the heck is going on before they get teleported back to the arena.

Which brings up something else that could be interesting IC: How does everyone get teleported back to the arena? That could be something for the fighters to find out. I'm imagining some of the fighters about to discover something they aren't supposed to, and then they get teleported lickety-split back to the arena. That would certainly create some incentive to find what's teleporting them and stop it.

I'm just spewing out random ideas here because I really want this RPG to work. Whether or not they are good ideas is, I suppose, up to you to decide.

• Upvote 2

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

How does everyone get teleported back to the arena?

Well, the Host has teleportation powers. :P But there's always something to discover. I'm sure you could investigate even that. ;)

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

As far as explaining the world, I'm fine with that since that's like my forte when I'm in the zone, except for one thing; would that not remove any mystery?

You're still leaving the tunnels and things to explore, which leaves the mystery, I'm advising you to flesh out the more practical elements to the world. Is there somewhere we can train between arena matches? Is there somewhere to repair or improve our weaponry? We're going to be spending a good portion of our time in that area, I'd kind of like to know what I'd have to work with.

Not really. We've had full out brawls in every Bionifight so far, and at the very least since Ultimate, we've had the week-long schedule. 9/10 times, we're down to at the most two or three players by the end of each round, sans the people who sign up and then utterly vanish. (Or in the case of midway into Drift Force, people who died and kept forgetting they had a free revive for that game. xP)

That said, eliminating everyone isn't necessarily the signal of the round's end, which we've addressed already. If people are alive, they're ranked on how many KOs they got through the round.

I'm thinking different forums might have different ways of doing things here. Trust me, they're going to take a while. I'm pretty sure even the races in Night/Day Run lasted longer than a week, let alone the fights. Though if they idea is you call an end after a week regardless of how many people are left standing then I suppose the point is moot.

My mind drifts back to the previously mentioned The Gate, where Captain and someone else (was it you TPTI?) had an epic cinematic battle over several days between just the two of them

Nah that wasn't me. Was it Beliwa or Dr Bionicle? 

7AOYGDJ.jpg

You're still leaving the tunnels and things to explore, which leaves the mystery, I'm advising you to flesh out the more practical elements to the world. Is there somewhere we can train between arena matches? Is there somewhere to repair or improve our weaponry? We're going to be spending a good portion of our time in that area, I'd kind of like to know what I'd have to work with.

Repairing happens automatically upon KO, as you're taken back to the main portion of the area. Training can technically happen anywhere, but there's a normal training near the locker rooms, I imagine.

I'm thinking different forums might have different ways of doing things here. Trust me, they're going to take a while. I'm pretty sure even the races in Night/Day Run lasted longer than a week, let alone the fights. Though if they idea is you call an end after a week regardless of how many people are left standing then I suppose the point is moot.

Yeah, I remembered Day RUn's fights after Xaeraz mentioned multi-day fights. >>'

Honestly, I can see that going either way, random scheduled fights could be a thing, as could two week fights and so on. It'll need to be discussed, but at least we've got an idea where to start. xP

hello hello, popping in because my RPGs have all been name-dropped as well as my own

Yeah, I remembered Day RUn's fights after Xaeraz mentioned multi-day fights. >>'

Honestly, I can see that going either way, random scheduled fights could be a thing, as could two week fights and so on. It'll need to be discussed, but at least we've got an idea where to start. xP

And that was best-case scenario, just fyi. Which brings me to the (currently only) point that I want/have time right now to make in regards to tournament RPGs: Across ToS, NR, and DR, while the tournament structure itself may have worked for some time (primarily as a framing device for the rest of the story, as Krayzikk mentioned), the bane of the tournaments' existence in every single one of those games was that--when left to the players--very few people would accept the notion of defeat, even when defeat did not necessarily mean that one would be knocked out of the tournament (or, heck, even if death itself isn't permanent, people still won't let themselves lose! #Perpetual)

It's why the races and battles dragged on for as long as they did. And it's partially why the switch in focus occurred in Night Ride, and precisely why Day Run wasn't built with the intent to finish the tournament. I can't speak fully for Kumata (especially since I no longer have any of the GM notes from that game), but iirc, it was a similar situation in Tournament of Shadows.

So, that would be the main concern I would have with Infinite. I would hope that it wouldn't be an issue considering how well other iterations of the game seem to have run, but I can't help but wonder. I know from experience that while it's easy to tell people not to god-mode in a TBRPG, and to have them agree, it's another thing entirely to be able to effectively enforce it, particularly when people will argue to their last breath why the things they're doing are not OP.

Regardless, I would trust you guys to handle it effectively. Just be cautious in the process--make sure what you're building is finished and functional before opening it to the masses.

Edited by Parugi
  • Upvote 2

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

Regardless, I would trust you guys to handle it effectively. Just be cautious in the process--make sure what you're building is finished and functional before opening it to the masses.

Absolutely. Thanks for the advice.

We've been discussing and modifying the game format today, and hopefully we'll be able to work more on it tonight.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

So, that would be the main concern I would have with Infinite. I would hope that it wouldn't be an issue considering how well other iterations of the game seem to have run, but I can't help but wonder. I know from experience that while it's easy to tell people not to god-mode in a TBRPG, and to have them agree, it's another thing entirely to be able to effectively enforce it, particularly when people will argue to their last breath why the things they're doing are not OP.

Aye; it's something I've seen a lot. I'd say we can trust a good bunch of our current players at the most, but it's definitely something we've been discussing on how to make sure it works out right, especially without a health system present, since it's looking like that's on its way out.

The week limit is...That's not long enough if you have really good writers with good characters, though. Since these posts are gonna be kinda long, not like G&T where you have to keep it short, it's really easy for combat to take place over the better part of a month for what's roughly an hour in-game. My mind drifts back to the previously mentioned The Gate, where Captain and someone else (was it you TPTI?) had an epic cinematic battle over several days between just the two of them.

And HP doesn't really make sense because it's an arbitrary metric to an incredibly nuanced thing. Reducing injuries to a series of numbers doesn't do them any justice. If I lose 10 hp for having my arm cut off and two for being burned, then getting burned five times is just as damaging as having an arm cut off, even though they would pose completely different issues and alter how you reacted very differently.

I was gonna post, but this just sums up my views.

So, uh....

This seems interesting. I have a question, though. If I want my character to be dual-wielding swords, does that count as one weapon/power or two? Also, are mask powers not a thing, or do you have to sacrifice a weapon/power to have one?

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Well; for one, we're discussing the mask power stuff, but it's looking like we might be allowing two power slots; as for dual wielding... Pretty certain it counted as two, but, we'll see how things go, as I don't see the harm in having two identical swords or so.

Now that I have had some sleep and don't feel like my head is getting an ice pick jammed into it I should be slightly less cranky. Sorry if I was offensive to anybody last night.

Silvan Haven's comment writing off Bionifight Infinity as 'not a real RPG' honestly comes off as a bit mean-spirited and elitist.

I never said it was not a real RPG. I said that tournament based RPGs don't have the best track record. They draw people in as tournaments, but they always either die or turn the vast majority of their focus towards the story.

I agree with TPtI about getting rid of the health points. They makes sense in a mechanics driven Game, but work somewhat less well in a more freeform RPG. It also makes me scratch my head less about why a Toa of Fire would be receiving heat damage.

Exploration and mystery is good but you need to give your players some basis to work off of. A list or map of the basic facilities would keep everybody from feeling lost as soon as the RPG starts.

What Xaeraz pretty sums up what I was going to say on the subject. With the exception that sometimes people have real life commitments that can really get in the way if they are called away from the game.

As for the slot system. I feel the best way to talk about it is to compare a JRPG to something like say, Skyrim or a Virtual Reality game. Both are good, but trying to bring the mechanics from one of them to the other ends up with a messy game that does not make sense. What IC is keeping my character from being a walking armory?

I was going to do an actual review of the RPG, but since you guys are making some changes it would probably be best for me to wait.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

In the past we've had dual pistols, for example, count as one item. I think a pair of swords would count, assuming neither had any special qualities that made them different.

Well; for one, we're discussing the mask power stuff, but it's looking like we might be allowing two power slots; as for dual wielding... Pretty certain it counted as two, but, we'll see how things go, as I don't see the harm in having two identical swords or so.

My character would have two identical swords, but they would both have some sort of fiery abilities. Would that still count as just one slot?

What about combination weapons? Like a spear/sword/shield with a built-in Rhotuka spinner like we've seen in canon?

Would that count as one weapon or two?

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I agree with TPtI about getting rid of the health points. They makes sense in a mechanics driven Game, but work somewhat less well in a more freeform RPG. It also makes me scratch my head less about why a Toa of Fire would be receiving heat damage.

The Enforcer can negate the innate resistances to the elements with their Power Canceller ability, to even the playing field.

After all, if you're fighting against another toa of fire, then you're going to basically be in a game of 'who can play hot potato the longest without trying to stab the other guy', which isn't quite fun.

Exploration and mystery is good but you need to give your players some basis to work off of. A list or map of the basic facilities would keep everybody from feeling lost as soon as the RPG starts.

Yeah, I think I was too distracted when I was looking at the facility description, it had a lot less than I thought... ^^' We're working on that now, though! ... In between comments! xP

What Xaeraz pretty sums up what I was going to say on the subject. With the exception that sometimes people have real life commitments that can really get in the way if they are called away from the game.

Aye. But, despite that, if it's longer than like 5 hours or something, I don't feel it fair to impede the progress of others, especially if it's known ahead of time. Like, say I knew I was gonna be away for most of the day, then I'd try to keep out of the action, or, alternatively, get a head start on exploration, because I would've had an advantage over others without having really worked for it.

As for the slot system. I feel the best way to talk about it is to compare a JRPG to something like say, Skyrim or a Virtual Reality game. Both are good, but trying to bring the mechanics from one of them to the other ends up with a messy game that does not make sense. What IC is keeping my character from being a walking armory?

The same thing that prevents characters from being a walking armoury in any other RPG. =P We're not going to approve a tank of a character with ten thousands sword on their back, or anything like that; we've all been around the block a time or two, we know when things just aren't feasible, especially for this iteration.

In the past we've had dual pistols, for example, count as one item. I think a pair of swords would count, assuming neither had any special qualities that made them different.

My character would have two identical swords, but they would both have some sort of fiery abilities. Would that still count as just one slot?
The weapons themselves I believe would not be allowed to have fiery abilities, if you want manipulation of fire, you'd need to make that an innate ability able to be channeled through your dual swords.

Also, Voltex, Blade, Chro, I suggest adding a Personality/Other section to the profile. The lack of one I feel is a holdover from the G&T days and the inclusion would make the game ever so slightly more RPG-like.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Also, Voltex, Blade, Chro, I suggest adding a Personality/Other section to the profile. The lack of one I feel is a holdover from the G&T days and the inclusion would make the game ever so slightly more RPG-like.

Suggestion taken under advisement, but I'm always iffy on personality sections, simply because it can be better shown through posts, and tends to evolve a lot as the RPG goes on.

• Upvote 2

What about combination weapons? Like a spear/sword/shield with a built-in Rhotuka spinner like we've seen in canon?

Would that count as one weapon or two?

I used a Gunblade throughout a good part of the last game; it would really depend on how the rhotuka work in this case, since most seen are powered. xP

Meh. I don't think it's too important, since it's already got two judge approvals over in the judging topic. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Wasn't that one of Tyler's suggestions over on Skype? You just changed Matoran and Panzer around. 

The same thing that prevents characters from being a walking armoury in any other RPG. =P We're not going to approve a tank of a character with ten thousands sword on their back, or anything like that; we've all been around the block a time or two, we know when things just aren't feasible, especially for this iteration.

Not to hearken back to Night Ride again (but to hearken back to it again), I remember having a walking armory Matoran character who was balanced just fine (and even died). Someone who is a walking armory would naturally be far slower than someone running around with a dagger. Things balance out, especially when limiting it to one species.

If you guys are keen on keeping the weapon/power slots, I say at least give a story reason for it. The Queen wants to limit the power, maybe? So the Toa have the ability to do whatever, they still have weapons, Kanohi, and elemental powers, but they're only allowed by the tournament to use two powers or weapons. Maybe raise it to three as well, to at least cover one of each of the basic slots (or provide more wiggle room for creativity in elements and weapons). I'd find that interesting and not just limiting. It's all how it's presented to both the RPers and the characters.

As it stands, it sounds like it's going to be great with previously mentioned revisions, and I look forward to murdering giving opinions on a revised version. =3

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

If you guys are keen on keeping the weapon/power slots, I say at least give a story reason for it. The Queen wants to limit the power, maybe? So the Toa have the ability to do whatever, they still have weapons, Kanohi, and elemental powers, but they're only allowed by the tournament to use two powers or weapons. Maybe raise it to three as well, to at least cover one of each of the basic slots (or provide more wiggle room for creativity in elements and weapons). I'd find that interesting and not just limiting. It's all how it's presented to both the RPers and the characters.

Not sure if it was actually made clear in the post, but that is indeed what happened; the organizers basically utilize the Enforcer's Power Canceling ability to limit the power.

That said, we are heavily discussing updating to three slots, and I believe that was how it worked out. xP (We're just. kinda on a break since Chro went afk and Tex had to go, so it's just me. xP)

Ah, well, it seemed more like an arbitrary rule than a story-related piece of information. But I can see that now, yeah. Again, a third slot would be nice. As it stands, I'll patiently wait for the revision.

. . .

Now time to go work on homework, read a few plays, and spend time with family from out of town instead of pretending I'm important/an old wizened fart on a forum. X3

It was an implied thing, I think, probably why it wasn't literally mentioned. (Since the Enforcer has that canceling ability and such).

Sounds like a plan, probably a good idea while I work on a couple update ideas for it myself, while everyone's away. =P

My game plan right now is to come up with a character that's strong overall already, and them give them a Story Breaker Power no one has a chance of surviving.

Then make that the power the Enforcer nulls and then have my character complain vehemently about that all the time. =P

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

The Enforcer can negate the innate resistances to the elements with their Power Canceller ability, to even the playing field.

After all, if you're fighting against another toa of fire, then you're going to basically be in a game of 'who can play hot potato the longest without trying to stab the other guy', which isn't quite fun.

If Ta-Toa lose their heat resistance, than do Po-Toa lose their endurance or Ba-Toa their resistance to pressure? Part of playing a Toa is their elemental affinity, even if it is not used as often as the other pieces.

If two fire Toa start fighting each other they simply need to think outside of "Shoot fireball, hope it hits." They should be doing that anyway. Explosions that use the impact rather than the heat to kill, drawing all the heat from an area to freeze something, even just going ahead and stabbing the other guy with your nice sharp sword.

Fight smarter, not with debuffs.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1