Vermeer in Space

Pomegranate

So in my Drawing class we basically had to take a painting from any of the old masters and reimagine it and tinker with it and let the idea evolve after a few weeks until it became something completely new but still retained elements of the original or could be somehow related to the original, and I was working off Vermeer's The Music Lesson (link) which y'all may have seen before, and I just finished inking my final version of it, and will be painting it in watercolors this weekend.

At this point it's like, an investigation onboard a ratty old spaceship of the disappearance of a crewman, whose feet you see in the bottom right, dragged there by the murderous alien tentacle eerily looming nearby... or something like that :P It's 22x30 inches so I couldn't scan it, and the photograph isn't totally perfect but it's good enough. Click the little image to see the big, high res version, which you should totally do 'cause I love putting tiny little details into these things.

scifi-vermeer-lowrez.jpg

I was really glad to have finally finished inking it 'cause it took me something like a a solid 8-10 hours, and since I don't have Premier at the moment I couldn't make a blog post about it, so I figured I'd share it here 'cause I know a good portion of BZP enjoys scifi stuff and art, and if there's an overlap between lovers of more classic art and lover of scifi, this is a treat for y'all :P I'll update the topic when I finish painting it ^^

Enjoy, y'all, and lemme know what you think of it. If there's anything you feel I should add, I can add more ink drawing at any stage so just go ahead and tell me :)

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Posting an update (with permission from -Windrider-) to the topic; I've finished the painting! Click the image for a largeer high res version. The photograph wasn't perfect so it's a tad bit blurry in some parts but the color is more important than the details, 'cause I have the original lineart for that.

scifi-vermeer-color-final-lowrez.jpg

I was a little frustrated that the painting came out lighter than I planned, but that's watercolors, I don't know what I was expecting. Overall I'm satisfied with how it looks.

So that's the final thing, yeah. Lemme know what y'all think? Comments, critiques, etc? ^^

I'm no art critic nor yet a painter myself, but as far as my eye for technical quality goes it looks good to me; the drawing is neat, good details, and it's a good emulation of Vermeer's style both in color and texture. I like the way you reimagined the original, especially with some of the details (e.g. replacing the paintings with computer screens), and I think the murderous octopus alien was a creative twist. Now, the whole sci-fi update with a horror twist is admittedly a little cliched, but while it may not be fresh it captures something familiar, a spirit of creativity like a childhood fantasy. What kid wouldn't look at a 17th century painting and wish or even pretend there was a monster from outer space in it killing people? And even though we're all grown up now, it doesn't mean we don't all still wish for something a little more fantastic in the everyday, like dead guys in bloody puddles under tablecloths. Science fiction or horror wouldn't be popular if there weren't people who dream of the stars. In the end we have to settle for cheaper thrills, and in cases like this maybe that's a good thing?

Nice work!

Vale, Nuile :smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I'm no art critic nor yet a painter myself, but as far as my eye for technical quality goes it looks good to me; the drawing is neat, good details, and it's a good emulation of Vermeer's style both in color and texture. I like the way you reimagined the original, especially with some of the details (e.g. replacing the paintings with computer screens), and I think the murderous octopus alien was a creative twist. Now, the whole sci-fi update with a horror twist is admittedly a little cliched, but while it may not be fresh it captures something familiar, a spirit of creativity like a childhood fantasy. What kid wouldn't look at a 17th century painting and wish or even pretend there was a monster from outer space in it killing people? And even though we're all grown up now, it doesn't mean we don't all still wish for something a little more fantastic in the everyday, like dead guys in bloody puddles under tablecloths. Science fiction or horror wouldn't be popular if there weren't people who dream of the stars. In the end we have to settle for cheaper thrills, and in cases like this maybe that's a good thing?

Nice work!

Vale, Nuile :smilemirunu:

Aaaahhh thanks for your insight! I'm glad you liked it :D

I was definitely going for a retro B-movie scifi-horror sort of thing there with the spaceship and the space octopus thing, just how you described it. I tried to get creative with it and just do whatever felt cool and make it a lot more interesting to look at. I love your deep little piece on people who dream of stars and cheap thrills, it isn't something I considered but I'm glad it got you thinking :P

Thanks so much for the comment! ^^