"LEGO Movie 2" Director Wants More Female Characters

Without an alternative, society will continue to believe what is pushed out into their faces by those in charge to be normal. They will strive to continue to be normal as a result of our genetic coding.

With an alternative, we as a society can begin to move towards a healthier idea about what we perceive women to be.

That's why representation is so important.

And that is why the sequel to the LEGO movie is taking a step in the right direction.

Again, I'm sorry if I've come across as upset or condescending. I don't mean to be that way. This happens to be a topic I'm rather passionate about. It's very complex and very strange, but it's still a really important thing to discuss.

I agree with the point in bold, but for different reasons. I think, given the end to the last film, which established Finn's sister's presence in this Lego universe, there should be more female characters to reflect the inclusion of a new female storyteller. This makes sense. :) (It also follows from standard child psychology that they roleplay characters that are "like them" to start off, but whatever.)

Also, I think you may be confusing ratio with representation. I can have a strong creative genius of a female character in a story with five guys, and I can have that girl keep all of them at arm's length while still telling a good story. I can also have five "normal" girls in a story with one guy, where all five of them play at being all the things you just condemned. Ratio does not tell the whole story of representation.

I have a lot more to say on the subject, and I appreciate you backing up your viewpoint, but out of courtesy to B6 I'll take this to a PM.

I find it funny that most of, if not all of, the people that are debating with Fishers are males. Here we have men advocating for women; and then a woman comes and tells them that a lack of a constant gender ratios in movies makes sense in certain situations and doesn't really bother her. Yet you're still arguing with her--arguing with the person you're supposed to be advocating for.

-Rez

EDIT: Basically I'm saying: don't take Fisher's input for granted. Since this discussion has to do about women, you should value a woman's opinion.

Actually, I'm hardly the most representative of all women, as my recent blog entry that you read indicates. :P While my perspective may be valuable, keep in mind that I've been out of the mainstream for many years and encouraged to think for myself, which leaves me with many eccentric preferences and ideas.

My objection to this has to do with logic, not being a girl. Being a girl does not make my opinion right or wrong anymore than liking Lego makes me right or wrong. I only mentioned it in the context of the discussion to give the person on the other end an idea of who they're speaking with.

(Although it does make me laugh too. What are all these guys freaking out about? :P)

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

Emmett could easily be replaced by Gail, changing little else in the movie.

The story, I think, would be vastly improved in every single way.

You're joking, right? How exactly would Gali (or any Bionicle, for that matter) fit the role of a character who is supposed to be the most generic minifigure in the entire lego world? A better example would be that Emmett could have easily been replaced with a female minifigure. At least then she wouldn't be towering over the entire rest of the cast, Metalbeard included, and couldn't just defeat the Kraggle by spraying water everywhere.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

You're joking, right? How exactly would Gali (or any Bionicle, for that matter) fit the role of a character who is supposed to be the most generic minifigure in the entire lego world?

picCCB6489A83DF543D21055BCFB82EF75D.jpg

I hope everything clicks for you now.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Well, from an in-universe perspective it wouldn't harm the story at all, but it would make things jibe less with the real LEGO product portfolio, considering that no LEGO fan would mistake a female character like Gail for being an "ordinary, generic construction worker". It'd be nice if LEGO sets could get to that point, where a female construction worker doesn't seem at all out-of-the-ordinary for LEGO fans, but up until now Gail has been one of the only female construction workers ever released. Even if the Emmet minifigure is technically unique (he even has a unique nametag), it's important to the movie that he doesn't look unique or special in any way.

I think there are better examples of characters who could have been female without changing the story at all. The one that stands out most for me is Bad Cop/Good Cop. On that note, it'll be quite nice if one of the new female characters is a female villain (I suppose at least two of Lord Business's robot minions were female, but they were not major characters by a long shot).

There are all sorts of directions the writers and directors could go with this, and I am confident in their ability to pull it off. As many people have pointed out, adding female characters to a new story should not be a challenge for any competent writer.

Oh gosh dangit, I've been reading that as "Gali" the entire time, I hate dyslexia :P

That makes wwaaayy more sense now, yeah.

In a deleted scene, Gail and Gali go to the coffee shop and instagram all the hilarious ways Pat Larry screws up their names.

• Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Gosh, why do the letters "l" and "i" have to look so similar? I don't even have dyslexia, but it seems Bionicle fandom has ruined my vision. :rolleyes:

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

EDIT: Basically I'm saying: don't take Fisher's input for granted. Since this discussion has to do about women, you should value a woman's opinion.

i happen to be (to my knowledge) the only other woman in this topic, and uh. not that many of you (especially not you, Reznas) seem to be valuing MY opinion on this. hmmm

(props to those of you who DO share my opinion though)

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 1

i happen to be (to my knowledge) the only other woman in this topic, and uh. not that many of you (especially not you, Reznas) seem to be valuing MY opinion on this. hmmm

(props to those of you who DO share my opinion though)

I think I see more people agreeing with your sentiment (or at least sharing similar sentiments without necessarily crediting you) than disagreeing. :)

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother