Question about misprints

polip

There is no way to tell if a black ruru came from a set or a kanohi packet as far as I know, but really, if it came from a pack it is misprint, and if it came with Hafu it is not.

There is no way to tell the origin of a ruru unless it is sealed in packet.

Other matoran sets also came with weird colors of masks, such as (hafu?) whose mask would have been considered a misprint if it appeared in a Kanohi packet because it was a turaga mask that came in a Toa colour, however the Huna was never misprinted.

So black ruru's were misprinted, but you can never tell if yours was a misprint or not.

I can't edit my last post on mobile so I apologise for the double post.

When I said (Hafu?) I meant Macku. Her mask(huna) was never misprinted, but if it had been, her mask would have been a musprint, because the turaga masks including the Huna were not supposed to be released in dark blue in the Kanohi packets.

Hafu's Black Ruru is considered a misprint by some because it appeared in some Kanohi packs when it was not technically supposed to. The only difference it has from the other noble mask "misprints" is that it was also included deliberately in the Power Pack, and later on in the 2003 Hafu set.

Officially, "misprint" was never used to refer to the masks themselves, just to a way certain masks were released. So if you look at the "Special Masks" chart here, the black Ruru could be obtained in the Power Pack, OR as a misprint in the European mask packs. Likewise, the Bright Red Ruru could be obtained in the BIONICLE alarm clock, OR as a misprint in the European mask packs. "Misprint" refers to the way it was released, not to the type of part it is.

This is why the Bright Blue Huna that came with Macku and the Black Huna that came with Muaka & Kane-Ra are not listed as misprints: they never appeared as misprints in mask packs, just in the sets they were intended for.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Hasn't anyone ever considered that the "misprints" may have actually been totally intentional?

-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 2

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Hasn't anyone ever considered that the "misprints" may have actually been totally intentional?

-Gata signoff.png

They might have been made intentionally for one reason or another, but I very strongly doubt they were packaged intentionally in the mask packs. Referring to intentionally-packaged masks as "misprints" seems a lot more deceptive than the LEGO Group is known for being. I can't think of a single time that the LEGO Group has intentionally misled buyers or been less-than-forthright about what a set is supposed to contain.

Also, if the LEGO Group were going to put fourteen special "bonus masks" in the mask packs, why wouldn't they advertise those as a feature? For that matter, why would they keep those masks exclusive to European mask packs instead of doing the same thing for mask packs worldwide?

• Upvote 3

Hafu's Black Ruru is considered a misprint by some because it appeared in some Kanohi packs when it was not technically supposed to. The only difference it has from the other noble mask "misprints" is that it was also included deliberately in the Power Pack, and later on in the 2003 Hafu set.

Officially, "misprint" was never used to refer to the masks themselves, just to a way certain masks were released. So if you look at the "Special Masks" chart here, the black Ruru could be obtained in the Power Pack, OR as a misprint in the European mask packs. Likewise, the Bright Red Ruru could be obtained in the BIONICLE alarm clock, OR as a misprint in the European mask packs. "Misprint" refers to the way it was released, not to the type of part it is.

This is why the Bright Blue Huna that came with Macku and the Black Huna that came with Muaka & Kane-Ra are not listed as misprints: they never appeared as misprints in mask packs, just in the sets they were intended for.

This actually brings up something I've been thinking about. The bionicle clock that contained the red ruru was available in the United states, and there are pictures online showing the same clock, but with a light grey ruru instead. Why would the lego group put an exclusive mask, not marked as exclusive in any way, in a clock set, knowing that it would be highly unlikely that the clock would sell anywhere near as well as the mask packs or canister sets? Is it possible that the red ruru was not intended for the clock at all? (Also worth noting, on the packaging of the clock, it shows a red miru, not a ruru.)

Edited by PyroLizard Prime

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

-Gata signoff.png

They might have been made intentionally for one reason or another, but I very strongly doubt they were packaged intentionally in the mask packs. Referring to intentionally-packaged masks as "misprints" seems a lot more deceptive than the LEGO Group is known for being. I can't think of a single time that the LEGO Group has intentionally misled buyers or been less-than-forthright about what a set is supposed to contain.

Also, if the LEGO Group were going to put fourteen special "bonus masks" in the mask packs, why wouldn't they advertise those as a feature? For that matter, why would they keep those masks exclusive to European mask packs instead of doing the same thing for mask packs worldwide?

Have they ever officially referred to them as misprints? And the funny thing is, I have seen them advertised in a place. I think it was on the backside of a magazine and I can look for it and scan it tomorrow.

-Gata signoff.png

• Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

-Gata signoff.png

Have they ever officially referred to them as misprints? And the funny thing is, I have seen them advertised in a place. I think it was on the backside of a magazine and I can look for it and scan it tomorrow.

-Gata signoff.png

Yes, they did, on the chart I linked to in my first post in this topic. Click "Special Masks" to see it. Although not all the color names on this chart are official (specifically, Brown is used instead of Earth Orange, Tan instead of Brick Yellow, and Copper instead of Red Flip/Flop, probably to prevent unnecessary confusion), it is an official publication by the LEGO Group.

-Gata signoff.png

-Gata signoff.png

Yes, they did, on the chart I linked to in my first post in this topic. Click "Special Masks" to see it. Although not all the color names on this chart are official (specifically, Brown is used instead of Earth Orange, Tan instead of Brick Yellow, and Copper instead of Red Flip/Flop, probably to prevent unnecessary confusion), it is an official publication by the LEGO Group.

You and your colors. :P Anyway, I guess you are probably right after all. The promotion on the magazine I referred to mentioned "rare mask editions", which would also encompass the misprints. Also, I was never aware LEGO officially referred to them as misprints.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

-Gata signoff.png

-Gata signoff.png

That's interesting. Never knew that this was official, I guess.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting a mask pack in the mail from eBay soon I can't wait hopefully it has a rare Kaukau or some misprint or other I know I'm getting a rare yes extremely rare smoke kaukau I got on eBay too both the kaukau and the mask pack I got cheaply so wish me luck