Cuusoo Exo Suit Logo

We haven't heard much about the Exo Suit since it passed the Cuusoo review last fall, but now something new has popped up. The New Elementary has unveiled the new logo they are going to use for the set. Furthermore, he writes an excellent article on how LEGO and the AFOL community is working together to promote this future product. It's quite a good read, and certainly builds up the anticipation for the model, which is expected to be released in August. Make sure to check it out!

View the full article

Sheesh, what's keeping them? It's like they don't consider the Exo Suit as important as the other achieved projects, thus pushing it down their list of priorities. But it all looks promising and I look forward to seeing the long-awaited final result!

mindeth the cobwebs

Sheesh, what's keeping them? It's like they don't consider the Exo Suit as important as the other achieved projects, thus pushing it down their list of priorities. But it all looks promising and I look forward to seeing the long-awaited final result!

No, I think it's simply a matter of them taking their time with the Exo-Suit because as a fan-created concept not based on an existing franchise, it's not as easy as simply referring to some non-LEGO source material and adapting it into a set. As the blog post mentions, the process is being coordinated with fans every step of the way, so it should be expected to take some more time than proposals based on licenses or real-world subject matter that don't demand the same level of fan engagement.

Anyway, the model passed review in October 2013 and will be released in August of this year. That's less than a year of development time, so they're not really taking a terribly long time at all. As Tim/Caperberry says in the blog post, it's proceeding right on schedule.

By the way, The New Elementary is one of my favorite LEGO blogs, and one that I think most AFOLs would benefit quite a bit from reading! It doesn't really cover constraction, but it's still a fantastic resource to learn what's new in the world of LEGO parts.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Seriously, I bet this is somehow based on the Exo-Toa(even though it probably doesn't seem like it).

Probably not. Peter Reid is an old-school AFOL, and they don't tend to take kindly to BIONICLE. It's more likely inspired by non-LEGO mecha franchises like BattleTech, or even by LEGO Exo-Force in some small capacity, than by a single set in a theme many AFOLs prefer to ignore.

EDIT: Checking his Flickr account, he says it's inspired by Aliens, the Matrix, and Warhammer 40k, but he also mentioned he didn't use a single reference picture in its construction.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

No, I think it's simply a matter of them taking their time with the Exo-Suit because as a fan-created concept not based on an existing franchise, it's not as easy as simply referring to some non-LEGO source material and adapting it into a set. As the blog post mentions, the process is being coordinated with fans every step of the way, so it should be expected to take some more time than proposals based on licenses or real-world subject matter that don't demand the same level of fan engagement.

Anyway, the model passed review in October 2013 and will be released in August of this year. That's less than a year of development time, so they're not really taking a terribly long time at all. As Tim/Caperberry says in the blog post, it's proceeding right on schedule.

By the way, The New Elementary is one of my favorite LEGO blogs, and one that I think most AFOLs would benefit quite a bit from reading! It doesn't really cover constraction, but it's still a fantastic resource to learn what's new in the world of LEGO parts.

An additional consideration (though the one you mentioned is more likely to be the primary one) is that they may have pushed this back in part so that they could push Ghostbusters forward. And that wasn't because they like Ghostbusters more, but rather because the Ghostbusters set is somewhat time-dependent—the Ghostbusters project was intended to tie in with the 30th anniversary of the movie, which is this year. If they released the Exo-Suit first then the Ghostbusters set would likely have to be delayed until August, and debut with less than half of the anniversary year left.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

An additional consideration (though the one you mentioned is more likely to be the primary one) is that they may have pushed this back in part so that they could push Ghostbusters forward. And that wasn't because they like Ghostbusters more, but rather because the Ghostbusters set is somewhat time-dependent—the Ghostbusters project was intended to tie in with the 30th anniversary of the movie, which is this year. If they released the Exo-Suit first then the Ghostbusters set would likely have to be delayed until August, and debut with less than half of the anniversary year left.

Okay, I understand that. I get what's going on now.

mindeth the cobwebs

Woo! Something I reported got through and I got CREDIT! :happydance: (Well, technically Shockwave is a different member, but that member hasn't been active since 2008. So I'm guessing I've effectively stole his name.)

In all seriousness, this looks fantastic. I want one.

Edited by ~Shockwave~
  • Upvote 1

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

The logo looks great and I love to see that Classic Space Minifigure (it would be funny if the minifigure was Benny but in white). It also look like they are taking a long time but I guess they are trying to make the set look like the original while making it look amazing.

I hope to see more Lego Cuusoo project like this one being approve as a official set and not just for space theme but old lego themes and others as well (like Power Miners) ^_^

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube