• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

MNOLG-Style Animation Series (Episode 3 Complete)

templar mnolg

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Online Pereki

Pereki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 898 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2014 - 01:01 PM

episode2.png

This is my big project. I cannot even begin to describe how much Templar's work on BIONICLE has meant to me, but suffice to say what they created is perhaps my most cherished story. I want to be able to pay homage to Templar, as a way of saying thanks, and this is how I am doing it.

For those unfamiliar with this project, these animations are made to complement the ones Templar produced for BIONICLE in 2002. It may not be apparent how they are connected yet, but eventually they will fill in the blanks left by Templar's animations. Templar's work was, of course, perfectly functional as a story, but they covered so much ground in so little time that not everything could be shown. This project is sort of going back and looking at the things skipped over.

I'm not completely satisfied with these animations (especially the first one, that one's awful), but I am new to Flash and I've intentionally used this first, three-part arc as a testing ground for my animation abilities. Future installments will have a greater focus on plot and character development.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

I appreciate any and all feedback.

#2 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 5,176 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2014 - 01:59 PM

A few small things might give away that you are new to Flash, but I could see from the latest episode that you have pretty much reached Templar's standard when it comes to animation. :) Nice to see the various mask powers being utilized for what they are worth as well.

I'll be watching this topic for any future installments.

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated August 2014:Boss fight with Makuta!
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#3 Offline SarracenianKaijin

SarracenianKaijin
  • Members
  • Toa

• 192 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2014 - 02:43 PM

While I know this is a fanwork using limited assets, but there's not a whole lot of excitement in these. Characters seem to exist on a primarily 2D plane here, like sprites in an MSPaint comic than the actual thing. The camera-angles are rarely interesting and seem to be mostly static.

I commend it as a beginner's work, but nothing more to be honest.

hereheis.gif

--------------

Reach Heaven by Violence.

And while you are at it, see Bionicle characters as Magical Girls.

#4 Online Pereki

Pereki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 898 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2014 - 03:29 PM

A few small things might give away that you are new to Flash, but I could see from the latest episode that you have pretty much reached Templar's standard when it comes to animation. :) Nice to see the various mask powers being utilized for what they are worth as well.

I'll be watching this topic for any future installments.

Thank you, this is great to hear. I wanted to be sure to get a fair amount of action in with Kanohi powers, since in general they seemed underused in the official BIONICLE continuity, despite being really fun to work with.

While I know this is a fanwork using limited assets, but there's not a whole lot of excitement in these. Characters seem to exist on a primarily 2D plane here, like sprites in an MSPaint comic than the actual thing. The camera-angles are rarely interesting and seem to be mostly static.

I commend it as a beginner's work, but nothing more to be honest.

Thank you for giving your honest opinion, I appreciate it. If may ask, did you watch the third animation? Maybe it is just my perspective as the creator clouding my vision, but I feel that it might have addressed some of the issues you describe.

#5 Offline Emzee

Emzee
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • BZPRPG Guru & Senior Staff

• 6,745 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 17 2014 - 05:03 PM

Nice work! It's great to see Templar-inspired work like this. Many have tried, with mixed results, but this series is the best yet.

Something to think about while working on the next installment is perhaps make the characters move a little smoother and faster. There were some short instances where nothing appeared to be happening, which is fine if said instances are short enough. But if people notice that there's a pause here and there, then said pause should probably be a little shorter. I noticed this most in the fight sequence with Kopaka.

Ninjago Monster Contest: Ninjas IN SPACE

Click the link above for more information on this site-wide contest. 

(I hope you like free sets!)

#6 Offline keiththelegokid

keiththelegokid
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 55 posts

Posted Apr 26 2014 - 12:43 PM

Great Job I can not wait for the next one!

Edit: Please try to leave some more constructive feedback next time!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-, Apr 26 2014 - 05:21 PM.

Check out Emmets Constructo-Spaceship

http://www.us.lego.c...1f-0b1050ed347f

#7 Offline bionicleFanatic

bionicleFanatic
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 40 posts

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 01:14 PM

These are all brilliant![:D] I love them, Tazakk[;)] Just one thing though: Maybe speed up the animations of their movements and talking a little bit?[:P] Because they look like they're doing Kapura impressions at the moment[:P] It might be just my browser though, that's making it slow...[:P] Nonetheless, excellent job[;P]

#8 Offline Toa Of Anarchy

Toa Of Anarchy
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 330 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 02:01 PM

OH MAN!!!

That was totally awesome, you NEED to keep making more of these!

"The invasion of the universe core is proceeding well, my newest creations are spreading darkness and corruption, and in general, it is good to be alive."
— Mutran, The Mutran Chronicles

"And you still haven't answered any of my one-hundred ten questions, or my follow ups."
— Vezon to Trinuma, Destiny War

"Another Hafu original!"
— Hafu, Mata Nui Online Game 

The biggest sacrifice in bionicle. Its a tie between Matoro giving up his life to save the universe and Hafu knocking down his beloved pieces of nostalgia to save Po-Koro.

#9 Offline Indigogeek

Indigogeek
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 451 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2014 - 01:18 PM

As ever Tazakk, very impressed by your work. I always wonder how you get the scenery to look so nice using parts of the game. I myself have been mustering up background for MNOG 1.5 ,so I know it's tough to do.

Just curious, what program do you use to animate? I want to start learning how to make these animations for out game :)

-T

Tu2d6W7.jpg

#10 Online Pereki

Pereki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 898 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2014 - 05:00 PM

As ever Tazakk, very impressed by your work. I always wonder how you get the scenery to look so nice using parts of the game. I myself have been mustering up background for MNOG 1.5 ,so I know it's tough to do.

Just curious, what program do you use to animate? I want to start learning how to make these animations for out game :)

-T

I use Adobe Flash CS6. Good luck in your work on MNOG 1.5. The game seems to be coming along well!

#11 Offline Indigogeek

Indigogeek
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 451 posts
  •  

Posted May 04 2014 - 05:18 PM

-T

I use Adobe Flash CS6. Good luck in your work on MNOG 1.5. The game seems to be coming along well!

Thanks! :) Its interesting, we both have different fan media of the same saga, it will be interesting to see how they compare in the end when we reach ko-koro :) (which should be next chapter ;))

Tu2d6W7.jpg

#12 Offline darkeluim

darkeluim
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 18 posts

Posted Jun 03 2014 - 06:31 AM

did you mad episode 4?

Flash Rebuilt Ta Matoran Jaller

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users