The Difference Between Destiny And Fate

Okay, so this is something I've been trying to get my head around for a little while. The concept of destiny is simple enough, a being is created and they have a purpose to fulfil before their inevitable death, the Toa Metru's destiny was to bring to the Matoran to Mata Nui's face, the Toa Inika's destiny was to bring Mata Nui back to life and the Toa Nuva's destiny was to awaken Mata Nui. But it never ends there. In The Final Battle, I remember reading near the end, during the celebration of Mata Nui's awakening, the description states that the Toa Nuva's destiny had been fulfilled, but then later in the story, Tahu gets reverted back to his Olda form, so that he specifically, could wear the golden armour. That sounds a lot like destiny to me, yet how can it be when he'd already fulfilled his. And what about if a character never does get to fulfil his destiny? Is it possible for a Matoran's destiny to be to one day save a Toa's life or something, but just by sheer accident end up falling into one of the lakes in Ga-Koro and dying, before they can fulfil their destiny? And is it possible for another to defy their destiny entirely, and turn "evil", killing others, preventing more destinies from being completed, unless it may have been their destiny to do so. I guess it may work if the role of destiny was flexible, and changed frequently, depending on how dramatically things are altered in the MU. But then, that's not really destiny, is it? On retrospect, reading through this, I realise there are some rather religious themes running through this thought. Let's keep this solely Bionicle-based, if I may request.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

"Destiny" as far as I've gathered, is just the "purpose" of a given being and nothing more. It has no bearing on how things actually happen. Whether they end up fulfilling that purpose or not is entirely up in the air. So yes, you can die trying, or choose not to do it. Makuta is a prime example, as Mata Nui apparently intended him to have a specific purpose, but that got kind of blown to Karzahni when he decided to hijack the universe instead. The Toa Mahri's destiny was to save Mata Nui's life. They almost failed. The Toa Nuva's destiny were to awaken Mata Nui. They almost failed as well. If the Bohrok-Kal had been actually murderous, their whole quest would have ended quickly, with them dead. If the Piraka had just stabbed them instead of throwing them in the volcano, they would be dead. If Icarax and the Makuta in Karda Nui weren't instructed to keep them alive, they would be dead. So in the end, the only reason the Nuva's destiny was achieved is that their enemies were too stupid to just kill them, really. If they had died, though, presumably another Toa team would be appointed to do it instead.

Edited by Katuko

I belive it's been stated that Bionicle-destiny is inflexible; whatever happens, that was your destiny. If you do something that goes against your supposed destiny, then that wasn't really your destiny.It also seems that there's different breeds of destiny.There's the destiny I mentioned before, let's call it "absolute destiny". Then there's Energized Protodermis destiny, whether you transform or die in EP. Obviously, since this involves an external force, it can't really be changed. Then there's Toa Destiny; this is a Toa's mission; once it's completed, they can become a Turaga. I believe that it's possible for a Toa to fail their destiny as far as this is concerned; look at the Mahri in the Kingdom, for example. So in short, you can't fail your absolute destiny because if you fail your purpose-destiny, your absolute destiny was to fail all along. Now my head hurts. This is why humans can't see the future...

IrMSNn3.png

Destiny is what you are meant to do, what you need to do to keep the universe running smoothly, what you need to do. Fate is what happens anyways. A Toa's mission is an example of destiny. A natural event that occured due to random chance alone killing somebody would be fate,

aouROFb.png