10244 Fairground Mixer Unveiled

10244_Fairground_Mixer_Reveal_teaser.jpg

Today at the Sydney Brickshow in Sydney, Australia, LEGO is unveiling the latest in their Creator Expert line of sets. 10244 Fairground Mixer looks like it comes right out of a traveling carnival and offers a ton of great designs and play features. While I sadly couldn't make it to Sydney (I have to settle for Philly Brick Fest) we still have the designer video, pictures, and the full press release. Read on to check them all out!

View the full article

I was wondering what made this set so "expert" and why it 16+, 'cause I'd never really seen that before on a LEGO set, and then I got to the part about 1700+ pieces :P

Creator Expert is the new designation for models that would previously be "themeless", like the Modular Buildings or Grand Carousel. It's been in use for about a year now, on models such as the Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Horizon Express, Sydney Opera House, and Winter Village Market.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Creator Expert is the new designation for models that would previously be "themeless", like the Modular Buildings or Grand Carousel. It's been in use for about a year now, on models such as the Palace Cinema, Parisian Restaurant, Horizon Express, Sydney Opera House, and Winter Village Market.

I learned something today ^_^ Thanks! Makes a lot of sense now, those themeless builds tend to be quite large, to say the least.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

That's one good looking set, love how the little parts all sit on the smaller truck -- especially that high striker game, I was pleasantly surprised in the video when the creator pulled it out from under the truck. A bit of a shame that only one minifig can fit per bench seat whereas most carnival rides I've seen have at least two people, but that's hardly a major gripe.

Cool as how this set looks, the price will be outrageously high.

It's $150, which isn't bad at allgiven its size and piece count. Generally the "rule of thumb" AFOLs use for determining whether a set is a good value for money costs more or less than 10 cents per piece.

Obviously this rule is somewhat arbitrary and there are lots of obvious exceptions. Constraction sets rarely qualify (which is part of the reason constraction doesn't always get a lot of respect from the larger AFOL community), nor do sets with expensive electronic components like Mindstorms robotics kits or remote-control trains, nor do sets with extremely bulky pieces like pirate ships and LEGO City aircraft. The Collectible Minifigures, with their unique parts and decorations, also carry an understandable premium. But in any case, this set passes that test with flying colors.

Anyhow, this set is beautiful. Lots of fantastic, playable amusement park features that all pack up onto a pair of trucks for transport! I agree with one comment I've seen on another site that it could be a great starting point for building an entire carnival. The minifigure selection is quite nice, and there are some very interesting and useful pieces debuting in this set, including 1x1 round tiles in White Glow! If Hero Factory continues using minifigures next year, I hope they might print the Hero Cores on this part... I've been hoping for glow-in-the-dark Hero Cores since 2012 when the sets finally standardized the Hero Core color and shape. And as I mentioned above, it's got a great value for its price. It would be excellent either as a stand-alone set or as a part of a larger LEGO City layout!

• Upvote 2

The size feels a bit small to me. I get that it's possible to hit a high piece count with many little pieces, but it still doesn't feel like $150 worth from the pictures here. Maybe it'll look more substantial in person.

The Winter Village Market similarly felt suspiciously small (although, again, checking a parts list revealed it did have enough parts (and good parts) to meet the MSRP).