• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Which mechs are better? Exo-Force or Hero Factory IFB?

mechs IFB Invasion from below Exo-force comparison

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: In your opinion...

Which group of Lego Mechs strikes you as the best designed and representative of what mechs should look like/function as?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline fishers64

fishers64
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,794 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 27 2014 - 10:24 PM

Title says it all. Go forth!

#2 Offline ~Shockwave~

~Shockwave~
  • Premier Member
  • Submerged!

• 1,167 posts

Posted Apr 27 2014 - 10:54 PM

Ooh. That's tough. I only have a very small sample size from exo-force and none from HF... But mty flamethrower mech was really cool. Too bad it's scattered all over my room in various containers... But the Little robo-dude is still intact. 

Posted ImageWe do what we must. Because we can.Posted Image these smileys created by Click

Posted Image

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me on any of these.

#3 Offline Matoro Lives

Matoro Lives
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 64 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 27 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hero factory mechs are nothing but a cheap knock-off, the original exo-force sets were waaaay better with: superior design and creativity, a much more in-depth and enjoyable story, and superb bonus buildings to go along with the mechs (i.e. Sentai fortress, golden tower, sentai gate).
Unity, Duty, Destiny, and Bacon

#4 Offline Akavakaku

Akavakaku
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 259 posts

Posted Apr 27 2014 - 11:46 PM

They're kind of different styles. Exo Force was flashy and extravagant, like the classic giant battle robot style, while HF 6.0 is more grim and technological, like modern CG sci-fi movies. I like Exo Force more myself, but I don't have any HF sets so I can't really talk.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) 

-Takuaka: Toa of Time

Marendar, the Legend of Spherus Magna: http://www.bzpower.c...-spherus-magna/

Get in the Robot entry: Kalmah's Conquest Exo http://www.bzpower.c...s-conquest-exo/

My BZRPG character: http://www.bzpower.c...pages/?p=668767

#5 Offline Pomegranate

Pomegranate
  • Premier Member
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 2,554 posts

Posted Apr 27 2014 - 11:49 PM

I like the Exo-Force mechs a lot more, they had more personality and I liked the builds a lot better. Those light up bricks were super neat, too, and the minifigs were pretty dang cool. Only thing that I don't like 'bout em is that, being more system based, they were waaayyy more fragile than the IFB mechs appear to be, and more difficult to pose/balance. 

pomegranate-banner-sm.png                                                                                                                      .

#6 Offline UngluedBike

UngluedBike
  • Members
  • Aquatic Guardian

• 379 posts

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 01:29 AM

Exo force easily. The hero factory mechs are a complete joke. I like the hairstyles that came with exo force, and I loved the fact you could combine the mechs as well, those models were humongous.

Posted Image

Greg hates anyone whose name isn't Vezon

#7 Offline RahkshiToa88

RahkshiToa88
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 236 posts

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 06:30 AM

I have one Exo-Force mech and two IFB mechs, and I can easily say the Exo-Force mech comes out on top. It can be a little annoying to pose them, but they are a lot sturdier than they look and many of the later Exo-Force mechs incorporate Bionicle pieces very well. Invasion from Below mechs are very cool, and they use the minifigures way better than Bionicle could have done. Exo-Force mechs are sturdy, look cool, have characters with a definite anime feel to them, and came with many new and awesome pieces. IFB mechs can only fit one of those categories in my opinion- the last one.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

:smilepohatunu: :smilelehvak:

#8 Offline Lyichir

Lyichir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Chir Brother

• 1,662 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 07:03 AM

I voted "both had pluses and minuses". Exo-Force's sets weren't necessarily clone sets, but they were often much more similar than each other than they needed to be given their size and part count, and many of them were extremely fragile, making them less than ideal for play. Hero Factory's mechs are less complex but generally more diverse and a great deal sturdier.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence
Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

#9 Offline Bfahome

Bfahome
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • DJ Kumo

• 5,907 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 09:02 AM

I went with Exo-Force.  While the IFB sets are cool, they just don't seem to have that same mechiness that the EF sets did.

Plus Exo-Force had quite a few varied designs.  Humanoids dominated, but there were things like the Sonic Phantom, Storm Lasher, and Striking Venom which added some variety.

Also the robots were cool and different.

stand still, pause clocks

we_can_make_the_world_stop.jpg

We Can Make The World Stop

#10 Online JAG18

JAG18
  • Members
  • Steely Visionary

• 368 posts

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 10:14 AM

I voted for Exo-Force, mostly because I think they had more personality and a more mecha feel to them.  

#11 Offline VoxuChro

VoxuChro
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • The Shadow Reaper

• 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 12:14 PM

definitely exo-force in my opinion if only for the higher difficulty in build

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu-Vrina-Voulge-Kidona-Chivinix-Celis-Darvin-Draeverian 'DJ'-

aQ85UI0.png

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

My new Sprite-shop is open.  Click the image above to head over to the topic.

#12 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 952 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 12:25 PM

Exo-Force. While I didn't actually buy many of them, I thought they were awesome, and would buy them now if I found them cheap somewhere.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#13 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,761 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 04:01 PM

Plus Exo-Force had quite a few varied designs.  Humanoids dominated, but there were things like the Sonic Phantom, Storm Lasher, and Striking Venom which added some variety.

I dunno, I think this year's HF lineup has likewise done pretty well in terms of variety. It's hard to make a comparison because Exo-Force had so many more battle machines: seventeen bipedal battle machines and four non-bipedal ones in its first year, versus just five bipedal battle machines and five non-bipedal battle machines in Invasion from Below. Exo-Force does have the distinction of having battle machines with wheels and/or treads, something Invasion from Below lacks, but if they had anywhere near the same number of battle machines then there might very well be some wheeled vehicles in the Hero Factory lineup (though perhaps not — after all, Exo-Force's seven-set final wave did include two non-bipedal walkers, a flying machine, and a tank).

Really, there are a lot of things that make it a rather unfair comparison. Hero Factory, like most years of BIONICLE, doesn't have a lot of large, expensive sets. Exo-Force had several. The average price point for Hero Factory is much lower. A $15 Exo-Force set is still roughly the same size as a $15 Hero Factory set... but that's not accounting for factors like inflation that affect their actual value-for-money. Beyond that, it's a comparison between a constraction theme and a System theme, so factors like piece count can't really be compared fairly. Constraction sets have pretty much always had fewer pieces on average than System sets of comparable size. It's part of the reason why BIONICLE and Hero Factory alike have a poor reputation in many AFOL communities.

The differences in building style also make a big difference. Constraction models can be much easier to build and design than System mecha, and they have much greater stability. But the parts are optimized for building articulated figures, so the ability to rebuild them into non-articulated models like jet aircraft is more limited than with System-based mecha. Constraction themes' ball joints have a greater range of movement than ratchet joints, but without a friction joint or other means of reinforcement, they cannot reliably support as much weight. Hero Factory models have nowhere near as many stickers as Exo-Force sets, but some people (including me) consider stickers a part of the building experience and not an undue burden of any kind.

With these factors in mind, I think Invasion from Below battle machines measure up quite well to those of the Exo-Force theme. I hesitate to call them better, though. Each theme has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, and it's very hard to weigh those against each other. It would be like trying to compare the 2008 Takanuva set with Titan XP from the Make & Create theme or Alpha Rex 2.0 from the Mindstorms theme. They're fundamentally different types of sets, even if the subject matter (large, detailed humanoid robots) is similar.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#14 Offline NickonAquaMagna

NickonAquaMagna
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 267 posts

Posted Apr 28 2014 - 08:23 PM

Exo-Force... at least the first wave. After a while, they were kind of all over the place, but the first wave had a great feel to it. The mechs were all distinct, and the other vehicles were slick.

nova_orbis_sig_2_by_nickinamerica-d7m226

#15 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Scavenger

• 617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2014 - 10:25 AM

Exo-Force is a lot better in my Opinion, even if Hero Factory have that amazing cockpit but with Exo-Force, it a lot better for kids to play with and have a lot of good stuff for MOCers to use. Plus with it come to story, Exo-Force have one it's not big but at least it's a story and with IFB...     Stop the Kaiju and that mainly it.

Another thing is that Exo-Force don't use the same part/color over and over again like Hero Factory. So this is why I think Exo-Force is better then IFB.

image.php?u=47115&dateline=1334913320

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui: 
Flickr 10.gif MOCpages 10.gif Youtube

#16 Offline Aanchir

Aanchir
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Another Chir Brother

• 3,761 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2014 - 03:07 PM

Exo-Force is a lot better in my Opinion, even if Hero Factory have that amazing cockpit but with Exo-Force, it a lot better for kids to play with and have a lot of good stuff for MOCers to use. Plus with it come to story, Exo-Force have one it's not big but at least it's a story and with IFB...     Stop the Kaiju and that mainly it.
Another thing is that Exo-Force don't use the same part/color over and over again like Hero Factory. So this is why I think Exo-Force is better then IFB.

Exo Force's in-depth comic series easily surpasses Invasion from Below's single TV episode as far as story is concerned, but I didn't factor that into my decision because the topic was just asking about the mechs themselves.

hs01_sig.png recommends the following sites:
bs01_banner.png hs01_banner.pngtnw_banner.pngtcw-banner.png

#17 Offline Wazdakka

Wazdakka
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 453 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hero Factory is a constraction line. Exo-Force, by and large, is not. By this I mean that it is 95% normal Lego pieces with only a few special joints and things thrown in to make them a functioning, playable mech-figure. In addition, the Exo-Force line of Mechs is quite varied in design, in comparison to the 2-legged humanoid and spider mechs of Hero Factory - Yeah, there's the four-legged spider, but you've got the Iron Condor, your generic Thunder Fury, the various flying ones and the animal themed ones at the end of the line. I never really loved Exo-Force as much as Bionicle, mainly because I could only purchase one or the other, but I think the storyline and mechs are still head and shoulder above the Hero Factory pretender. 

Steam Name: Toa Onua - always ready for TF2 or a good chat.Xbox Live Gamertag: PluggedSky51173 - Halo 4 for (4) the win!Minecraft Username: ThePoohster - sometimes play on T9K.Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko set), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Black, White, and Grey Krana, Heat Vision, Sonic, Fire Resistance, Power Scream, and Shadow Kraata, Axonn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

#18 Online Regicidal Kaiser Manducus

Regicidal Kaiser Manducus
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Defeated

• 3,340 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 29 2014 - 06:36 PM

Exo-Force sets were more sleek and tactical looking. Too bad the story just suddenly ended.

Edited by Kaiser Manducus, May 01 2014 - 03:01 PM.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

#19 Offline ShadowWolfHount

ShadowWolfHount
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Scavenger

• 617 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 30 2014 - 07:07 AM

Exo Force's in-depth comic series easily surpasses Invasion from Below's single TV episode as far as story is concerned, but I didn't factor that into my decision because the topic was just asking about the mechs themselves.

I know, I just added it for....   no reason

But ya Exo-Force just kills IFB in just about everything but the cockpit in my opinion.

image.php?u=47115&dateline=1334913320

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui: 
Flickr 10.gif MOCpages 10.gif Youtube

#20 Offline KittehWubbins

KittehWubbins
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 63 posts

Posted Apr 30 2014 - 08:33 AM

I don't like deciding between two different types of lego, like system and technic, but the Exo-Force mechs were just so detailed and awesome. Considering they are system they can fit in a lot more detail down to the stud. All in all Exo-Force has my vote.

beatdown2.png

DON'T MESS WITH US! NOTHING GETS PAST US! UNLESS WE WISH IT!

I am building Alphonse Elric from FMA!! Please PM me some tips, I really want to make it good.

#21 Offline Sir Voltex the Blue

Sir Voltex the Blue
  • Premier Member
  • The Storyteller

• 4,369 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:06 AM

I think comparing system and constraction lines like this is kind of silly, but I voted Hero Factory. I liked the look of the HF mechs more, and I never really liked the exoforce sets that I got.

book_1_logo_super_small.jpg

^Click to read!^

INTERLUDE

A heist in BZ-Koro goes precisely as scheduled.

#22 Offline Kung Fu Pyro

Kung Fu Pyro
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 558 posts
  •  

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:59 AM

Exo Force, definitely. The mechs were cool and creative, and had a very cool anime feel to them. The IFB sets are rather bland in comparison, and some of them look just plain unfinished.

sigpart1.pngsigpart2.pngsigpart3.pngsigpart4.png

#23 Online Iron_Man5

Iron_Man5
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 440 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 11:35 PM

Exo Force hands down. :D

"I am Iron Man"

:i:  :a: :m:  :i: :r: :m_o: :n:  :m: :a: :n:

bannerbzp_by_tattorack-d7ht9tk.jpg

#24 Offline Octodad

Octodad
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nobody suspects a thing

• 2,098 posts
  •  

Posted May 23 2014 - 04:39 AM

Exo-Force, except for the Jungle wave, has vastly mechier mechs than IFB. The Jungle wave was more hit or miss for me because the new torso piece made for weirder-shaped mechs, so they went from more Gundam/Eva sleek shapes to these stocky, pod-bodied mechs. I prefer the former, and that's what Exo-Force gives. It has an edge in terms of sleekness, being mostly System, while HF is constraction, but the Exo-Force mechs just feel overall cleaner.

Part of that difference, of course, could be the origins; Exo-Force is very clearly a direct tribute to Mecha Anime, so chances are they were going for that specific mecha aesthetic, and for the most part they pulled it off. IFB, on the other hand, is riding a wave of popularity generated by Pacific Rim, which is a tribute to both mecha and kaiju genres. Because of this loose basis, being loosely based on a tribute rather than directly inspired by the genre, and also in part because of how the current constraction system works, the mechs just have an overall more.... generic feeling. None of them have what could be seen as a remarkable signature weapon like the Blade Titan's spinning shield, or the numerous unique guns and blades of other Exo-Force mechs. There's one launcher, a few blades bandied about, and some flickfires. The armor is plain and generically shaped, and the mechs are just sort of... shaped. There's no clear shaping or stylistic look, they're just shaped in a convenient way.

As Aanchir said, it's not the fairest comparison, given the difference in building system, amount of sets, and time of release. However, while Aanchir prioritizes the creativity on the basis of humanoids vs. other mechs, my judgement will always be, first and foremost, aesthetic, and for that I have to give it to Exo-Force.

#25 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 952 posts
  •  

Posted May 23 2014 - 11:29 AM

Although I still side with Exo-Force (extensively), I've noticed a few Ninjago mechs recently that, really, took me by surprise for their cool-ness.

ezgif-save.gif

My Writing Blog (Updated frequently)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (Updated frequently)

BZPower Chronicles, my BZP comedy. ~~Finished!~~

Species, my dystopian Bionicle story and its respective Review Topic.

#26 Offline Mohamed Marei

Mohamed Marei
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 542 posts
  •  

Posted May 24 2014 - 03:45 PM

The thing I loved the most about Exo-Force mechs was that they managed to squeeze a superior level of detail into their designs in general, and one could attempt to emulate certain features of their designs in his/her own way only to end up with something almost completely different. For example, you'd preserve the torso construction and proportions, and run wild with all the cool additions, such as weapons and extra gimmicks. However, I was always disappointed with their sizes, and felt the desire to re-make the ones I got into something bigger. Also, I wasn't too crazy about the combiners,because they could not employ their resources as effectively as I would've liked.

That all being said, Exo-Force continues to be the BEST mech line Lego has ever released. It's such a shame it ended.

:tohu:

Recent MOC's:      Naval Commander Jaldamir    Sevla II    Octharius v The Chimera    Voxumo: The Shadow of Reality

Here are my current PBZP's.  (Note: PBZP topics are mostly* dead. DON'T REVIVE!!!)

Completed In Progress             < A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  Lii  M  N  O   Q  R  S  T  U  V  Vii  W  X  Y  Z >          

#27 Offline Collector1

Collector1
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 279 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 13 2014 - 02:31 PM

Exo-Force all the way. Hero Factory may have a little bit more posable thanks to the building system they've used since 2011, but Exo-Force's sets and storyline seemed better. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users