Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

anybody here read my thoery? i was quite proud of it but nobody commented. Also my best peice of evidence had to do with the leaked photo so i couldent post sit  :(

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I haven't chimed in in a little while, but I feel compelled to shed light on something.

As Greg himself has stated fairly recently, Bionicle was never cancelled due to "bad" sales. It was cancelled because in those later years, it was just selling "all right." It was selling enough to keep the theme afloat, but not indefinitely, and they weren't exactly Bionicle numbers. Lego wisely put the theme to bed for the time being before running it into the ground. That way, if they ever decided to bring it back someday, retailers would still remember it as a theme that's worth having on the shelves, a theme that did sell for its entire run.

If Lego really didn't care about Bionicle or have some future plans for it, they could've just milked it to death and given up on it altogether... but they didn't. They've simply... preserved it.

Just something from the man himself that's worth thinking about.

• Upvote 6

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

One half of my mind is saying "it's definitely bionicle, what else could it be?"

the other half is saying "why would they bring back an old theme when they already have Hero Factory?"

Hero Factory's sales have been declining throughout the years. Not enough people have shown interest in the theme, so they reach into their back pocket for the theme that saved them once before- Bionicle.

A reboot with masks would be a godsend for anyone like me who wasn't able collect the originals from '01 - '03. I remember seeing them on shelves when I was little but I was too little to take interest, which I regret dearly. A reboot would give me a seconds chance since I'll conscious of Bionicle this time. (That's if there is a this time.)

Yeah, I think collectibles are a right way to go. Masks, discs, pieces of armor, you name it.

2xu8Ptu.png

ted Jul 05 2014 - 06:16 PM

I was thinking about how bionicle would be brought back and i have come to the conclusion that it would be a retelling. my reasons for beliving this are the following

1 one reason bionicle was cancled was beacause it was to complicated and new buyers were intimidated. A prequell or a sequel would only make it MORE complicated.

[bloop]

3. A TTV member told me there was more then met the eye. This could explain what that meant.

Tell me what you think of this

Thanks

Windy edit: Careful with the second point you made - please don't refer to specifics about the images. Your theory, though, is fine.

-Wind-

I think this would be the best route TBH. Starting from the past or future still has the convoluted story of old. While it was great, for newer kids to get into it, they'd have to read up on a ton of history. A re-telling or reboot would be the best bet for an enjoyable story. If its a retelling, it also lets them introduce some new mysteries which really made the early years of the story so special.

-Star

Solaris Magnus. Formerly Starparu. 

I think that the toa might be in search for the masks to help protect the planet but in the process awake an ancient race that are now on a hunt to reclaim the masks. So then the toa would have to explain to them that they wear just trying to help protect the planet by using the masks energy to make a force field around the planet. And it also would lock the very structure of the newly formed spherus magna together. So that it wouldn't break apart again even if the planet is physically torn apart by war.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The problem with BIONICLE collectible packs in my opinion is that for the most part, they offer zero play value on their own. They're just accessories for the larger and more expensive sets, unlike, say, the Collectible Minifigures, which are fully-articulated figures in their own right and can be mixed and matched.

It would be cool if there were ways to get your hands on more mask varieties, though. Something my brother was thinking of recently (which he just blogged about) is whether you could sell Matoran with a similar business model to the Mixels: five-dollar sets with a new wave released about every four months. If you had ten Matoran per wave (just a slight increase from the nine sets per wave the Mixels offer), that would allow you 30 recolored masks per wave. Together with your six main heroes that would allow you 36 masks: six shapes in six colors!

The only problem with this idea is that unlike the Mixels, which are diverse System sets with about 50 pieces each, chances are a $5 constraction set would only be able to have around 25 or 30 parts. And since Matoran tend to be very similar on a structural level (the Voya Nui Matoran notwithstanding), that could get repetitive very quickly, even if you changed up their masks and accessories. So it's rather unlikely that the LEGO Group would do this.

I built a pretty good-looking Matoran with CCBS parts on LEGO Digital Designer that stands ten centimeters tall, uses about 18–22 parts, and has 13 points of articulation (9 not counting the toes). So I'm pretty confident the building system would not present any more of an obstacle for building Matoran than it would for building Toa.

• Upvote 3

Yes, they appeared in the Lego Movie (they deserved it. Good for them!). Yes, LEGO is making a new "Castle-themed constraction theme". But it's not going to be Bionicle. It'll be Knights. It'll be Castle. It'll be Knights Kingdom. Not Bionicle. Bionicle spirit? Maybe. But not Bionicle, not in the Bionicle Universe, and probably not a Hero Factory replacement. Sorry guys.

"Kai... Nireta... the other six Kakama-wearers... yep, Ga-Koro's all here!"

ga-koro.thumb.JPG.c6b34593c87ad060d441b9de302f3dd0.JPG

Perhaps these collectables could be more than just masks.... How about a whole pack of stuff?

Hear me out- Randomized "accessory packs" that contain weapons, masks, ammunition, armor, and/or other specialized parts. Not only would moc makers use this for getting certain pieces, fans would want them to give their sets exclusive armor and tools.

Yes, they appeared in the Lego Movie (they deserved it. Good for them!). Yes, LEGO is making a new "Castle-themed constraction theme". But it's not going to be Bionicle. It'll be Knights. It'll be Castle. It'll be Knights Kingdom. Not Bionicle. Bionicle spirit? Maybe. But not Bionicle, not in the Bionicle Universe, and probably not a Hero Factory replacement. Sorry guys.

Where did you hear that this was a new castle constraction theme? If you are thinking about Asger Johansen's linkedin page, the "New take on Castle" was a past project.

Edited by Zenerius
  • Upvote 1

I can tell you the exact time frame for Bionicle.com's closure. On May 24th, 2013, I e-mailed Lego's customer service concerning the BioCode function on Bionicle.com, which had failed to recognized users as logged in and therefore did not take BioCodes. This was fixed three days later but failed again on June 6th. On June 6th, 2013, I notified Lego that the problem had resurfaced, to which they replied that '"Only the best is good enough", so we closed [are closing] the website instead of offering a poor online expirence.' and then talked of how the Toa taught us that this is okay. Please buy Hero Factory. End e-mail. So I quickly replied, cried a little, tried to start an online campaign on the Bionicle wiki, and archived all of Bionicle.com's videos and images and pages. I slipped in and out of using Bionicle.com, which remained open despite the looming threat of closure. I don't know why, but on the night of Tuesday, June 19th, I got on Bionicle.com. Just, to look at it. The next morning when I woke up, it was gone. A mere redirect. On Wednesday, June 19th, 2013, LEGO.com shut down Bionicle.com servers. I'm assuming Bioniclestory.com was taken down in the same fashion; I did not go on it before the closure. And now it is gone, except for (thank God) archived versions.

Yes that was what I was referring to, I found out from the TTV podcast. I'm assuming, then, that this 'new theme' WAS, in fact, Knights Kingdom?

"Kai... Nireta... the other six Kakama-wearers... yep, Ga-Koro's all here!"

ga-koro.thumb.JPG.c6b34593c87ad060d441b9de302f3dd0.JPG

The problem with BIONICLE collectible packs in my opinion is that for the most part, they offer zero play value on their own. They're just accessories for the larger and more expensive sets, unlike, say, the Collectible Minifigures, which are fully-articulated figures in their own right and can be mixed and matched.

It would be cool if there were ways to get your hands on more mask varieties, though. Something my brother was thinking of recently (which he just blogged about) is whether you could sell Matoran with a similar business model to the Mixels: five-dollar sets with a new wave released about every four months. If you had ten Matoran per wave (just a slight increase from the nine sets per wave the Mixels offer), that would allow you 30 recolored masks per wave. Together with your six main heroes that would allow you 36 masks: six shapes in six colors!

The only problem with this idea is that unlike the Mixels, which are diverse System sets with about 50 pieces each, chances are a $5 constraction set would only be able to have around 25 or 30 parts. And since Matoran tend to be very similar on a structural level (the Voya Nui Matoran notwithstanding), that could get repetitive very quickly, even if you changed up their masks and accessories. So it's rather unlikely that the LEGO Group would do this.

I built a pretty good-looking Matoran with CCBS parts on LEGO Digital Designer that stands ten centimeters tall, uses about 18–22 parts, and has 13 points of articulation (9 not counting the toes). So I'm pretty confident the building system would not present any more of an obstacle for building Matoran than it would for building Toa.

Here I am, just soaking in everything that I've somehow missed. I am legitimately loving all this debate and things, even the BONKLE poster.

Collectibles were at least a good sell points of the early years, I don't see why they couldn't be brought back. At the same time though, your point is pretty valid, something I hadn't considered before. LEGO's sets have that playability coming right out of the box, while a collectable would have to be used elsewhere. But considering practically anyone that would buy a constraction collectible already has a constraction set, that might not be a problem, as long as the collectible is fairly wide-spread compatible.

Yes that was what I was referring to, I found out from the TTV podcast. I'm assuming, then, that this 'new theme' WAS, in fact, Knights Kingdom?

The new theme was presumed to be the 2013 system Castle line, since it had wizards/dragons. Others think that this was a cancelled project, or one that he is no longer associated with. But one thing is for sure: it likely isn't going to be a constraction theme.

#BionicleIsBack Spread the word people!

Not until something official is announced.

I'm with this guy. 

Also, Greg is not entirely responsible for stuff that you don't like in the Bionicle franchise.

He kinda is.

Also, "you" implies that I am the only person who has this opinion, when in fact this is an opinion pretty much everyone on the internet that are not on BZPower agrees with, and that being GregF did an utterly abysmal job.

That's kind of funny since I hardly ever hear people whining about Greg's writing on the other LEGO forums I use. It's mostly on BZPower that I seem to see people seem to give him a "historical villain upgrade".

His writing for many of the early comics was pretty good, in my opinion, other than the never-resolved cliffhanger in comic #2. I still get chills when re-reading some of those comics. This comic is a good example. The books also tended to be pretty good as far as merchandise-driven chapter books are concerned. I loved BIONICLE Adventures #3 and BIONICLE Legends #7.

But for some reason people only remember him for plot holes, poor characterization, and fanservice that was generally relegated to the serials and other online-exclusive stories released in the later years (as well as his somewhat clumsy attempt to explain just why Makuta was never defeated for good, something that wasn't entirely his fault since Makuta was central to BIONICLE's original concept from the beginning).

Furthermore, nobody ever seems to read Greg Farshtey's books from other LEGO themes, which prove he's not nearly such a one-note author as people seem to expect of him. He can write humor that far exceeds anything his BIONICLE books ever offered, and he can write lighthearted and heartwarming adventure stories just as easily as he can write grim, serious, melodramatic ones. I encourage people to read some of his Ninjago chapter books or Chima storybooks to get a feel for his versatility as a writer. Frustratingly, some people read these stories and assume that the differences are because "his heart's not in it", rather than because he knows how to write a story that isn't wrapped up in all of BIONICLE's pretensions.

I pretty much agree with this post. Greg gets a lot more hate than he deserves these days. I'm not going to say he was a great writer, but he was decent and he worked well with the story. Yes, he made a lot of mistakes, but we don't seem to remember the good stuff he wrote. The comics were amazing! They suffered from not being the complete story, but that's because LEGO wanted to also get you into the books/website/movie or whatever.

I'll keep it short and sweet. I would have a love/hate relationship with bionicle coming back!

My main reason for loving it: I could see my childhood coming back, and giving us new elements and something that was unexpected and needed to make Bionicle more then "that one line most Lego guys don't respect"

My main reason for hating it: I am down to 13 rare pieces and a grand total of 50 pieces (the other 37 are widely available, I just haven't gotten them back again) until I have the worlds only 100% COMPLETE Bionicle collection.

I would buy every set and collectible they made if they did bring Bionicle back, but at this point, I'm so close to having my collection finished, that i would be a little upset if it came back. But, like i said, i would still get everything and love to see it!

I just want to finish my collection, wether they bring bionicle back or not.

MC

Edited by Mask collector

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

its funny the main thing i would be happy about if bionicle came back would not be the sets or the story, it would be BZP being alot more active.

OK! ive been hearing alot about a knight construction theme DO WE KNOW IF THIS IS THE NEW CONSTRUCTION THEME LEGO IS TALKING ABOUT!

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

Also, I want to make something clear: at least one person in this topic said they want mask packs back so they can get the masks they're missing in their collection. I want to emphasize that the chances of that happening are exactly zero. Zip. Nada. Negatory. Not gonna happen, no way, nohow. Even if they bring back mask packs,  they would not contain the classic 2001 masks, or at least not in the form we know them. Those pieces had their run, but they are now almost completely incompatible with the constraction system. Their single connection point cannot attach to any recent heads, and even on the original heads, the connection was prone to wiggling. If mask packs come back, they would contain new or remolded masks, and thus be an entirely new pool of collectible masks.

That being said, mask packs probably aren't coming back. If LEGO thought there was a market for packs of recolored faces, we'd have HF helmets in more colors, most likely. They wouldn't wait to bring back BIONICLE to try it.

Also, I want to make something clear: at least one person in this topic said they want mask packs back so they can get the masks they're missing in their collection. I want to emphasize that the chances of that happening are exactly zero. Zip. Nada. Negatory. Not gonna happen, no way, nohow. Even if they bring back mask packs,  they would not contain the classic 2001 masks, or at least not in the form we know them. Those pieces had their run, but they are now almost completely incompatible with the constraction system. Their single connection point cannot attach to any recent heads, and even on the original heads, the connection was prone to wiggling. If mask packs come back, they would contain new or remolded masks, and thus be an entirely new pool of collectible masks.

That being said, mask packs probably aren't coming back. If LEGO thought there was a market for packs of recolored faces, we'd have HF helmets in more colors, most likely. They wouldn't wait to bring back BIONICLE to try it.

I'm pretty sure that no one here was expecting Lego to re-release the original 2001 Kanohi or Kanohi Nuva in any format. Everyone knows that it would be almost impossible for them to do that.

If mask packs were to return to a constraction line, it would almost certainly be a future reboot of Bionicle; definitely not Hero Factory. The presence of masks were an instantly recognizable and iconic part of Bionicle, a constant for ever year of the lines nine-year run. Hero Factory, by contrast, is arguably much too far into its run and locked into its own unique style to begin making use of a type of piece that would require a whole new subline of sets, such as collectible masks, especially when helmets, which are very similar to masks, have been included with every hero set since the line's conception.

Unfortunately, since a massive amount of evidence from a wide variety of sources, including Lego itself, points toward the constraction theme for release in 2015 being a reboot of Bionicle, and no evidence that I'm aware of points to it being any sort of "castle-themed constraction theme", I'd be a bit surprised if this turned out to be the case. And I'm aware of most of the evidence out there. Sorry dude.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I think if Bionicle returns, it should be for a maximum of 2 years. I think that a new storyline in this day and age would be made too babyish, in order to include young children. That would kill the line. I think they need to have a good think about who their true fans are, and cater for them. In my personal opinion, Lego should make a checklist of characters that do not have set forms, group them up, and release them as waves of sets. So for the first wave, the dark hunters. The second wave could be the Toa Mangai/Hagah. And then perhaps have characters like artahka or makuta miserix for special editions.

-Bike

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I think if Bionicle returns, it should be for a maximum of 2 years.

Why would Lego put a bunch of money into a product that would only last 2 years? Why bother? 

I think that a new storyline in this day and age would be made too babyish, in order to include young children.  

If they hired Greg back to do the story, then you'd probably have nothing to worry about. He's pretty good about making both casual buyers and fans happy with the story.

I think they need to have a good think about who their true fans are, and cater for them.

It's a pretty bold gamble to hope that your old fans still care about a toy line so much that the company ends up polarizing newcomers. Even if the new sets were made 'for the fans' that isn't a guarantee that they'd buy 'em. And if not as many fans buy the sets as hoped, then the line would be a failure and Bionicle would never come back.

In my personal opinion, Lego should make a checklist of characters that do not have set forms, group them up, and release them as waves of sets. So for the first wave, the dark hunters. The second wave could be the Toa Mangai/Hagah. And then perhaps have characters like artahka or makuta miserix for special editions.

I stared at this part for a couple minutes trying to figure out why Lego would want to make these and why I would want to buy them. Okay, first of all, they can't sell Miserix or the Dark Hunters because they were the result of building contests, right? Second - how in any way would this be profitable? If Bionicle's comin' back, they're gonna have a story with it, right? And those sets have to correspond with the story, right? Why would the Toa Mangai matter? Why would I want to spend money on dead people who aren't even named in the story? Why would some 6 year old in the toy store want to buy some Toa who aren't even a real part of the current story? I don't have all the answers!
  • Upvote 1

Does anybody have any ideas about when in 2015 bionicle is comming back?

I've been thinking about this too, and assuming that it'll be next summer; does anyone have any information that suggests that it'll end up that way or another?

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I've been thinking about this too, and assuming that it'll be next summer; does anyone have any information that suggests that it'll end up that way or another?

Well, considering that a "certain picture" was made known of this early, I'd probably say they're winter sets, so probably December 2014/January 2015.

sig.jpg

Well, considering that a "certain picture" was made known of this early, I'd probably say they're winter sets, so probably December 2014/January 2015.

Whoa. That would be amazing.

AAZZ.jpg

Whoa. That would be amazing.

I for one, would put BIONICLE's imminent return at summer sets, seeing as most likely Bionicle would eclipse HF and therefore kill it if they ever co-existed, so I would put the winter sets of 2015 as a final wave for HF, like the Stars from 2010, and then Bionicle would return in the summer.

This isn't really related to the topic, but does anyone know what's going to happen to SolisMagna.com and their storyline once Bionicle arrives?

VBWj75sh.png

This isn't really related to the topic, but does anyone know what's going to happen to SolisMagna.com and their storyline once Bionicle arrives?

The sets will be cancelled if BIONICLE is brought back next year, but the storyline will continue on, just repurposed. The main focus of SM.com will turn to MNOLG: CE. 

Bliss.png

I think they need to have a good think about who their true fans are, and cater for them.

It's a pretty bold gamble to hope that your old fans still care about a toy line so much that the company ends up polarizing newcomers. Even if the new sets were made 'for the fans' that isn't a guarantee that they'd buy 'em. And if not as many fans buy the sets as hoped, then the line would be a failure and Bionicle would never come back.

I have to agree with this. Take this with a grain of salt, but I am comparing this to my own experience, and that can vastly differ. I am now college aged, and have other costs to deal with that are not Bionicle/Lego related. If Bionicle is resurrected, I want to follow the story again, but I don't have as much an interest in buying the sets, mainly cause there are things that I have pay for now, such as groceries, rent, ect. Not to mention Bionicle has been gone for 5 years, many old fans have moved on. Sad to say it, but most probably will not come back. 

What would be the smartest thing to do would try to focus on rebuilding that fandom, while adding some fan-service for the old fans. 

-SK

pohatu_like_a_boss.gif

Dorek pointed out elsewhere that Greg's BZP sig now reads "Bionicle Returns 2015". His last login was April 1st, 2013, and an April Fools topic about the return of BIONICLE was made under his account that day. I don't remember his sig saying "Bionicle Returns 2015" back then, so it had to have been changed after that. How is that possible, though, when he hasn't logged in since April 2013? This is a change that would have to have been made in the Admin / Mod CP by someone else... I'm not accusing any staff member of this, rather I think his account may have been hacked. Greg certainly wouldn't add that to his sig himself...

Edited by XONAR
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

If you sign in anonymously, if I recall, your profile doesn't update the time you were logged in. It's possible that Greg's been lurking here for a while. Even if someone had hacked his account (other than the staff), they would still be needing to log in anonymously to avoid having people spot them or having the login time updated.

Granted, it does seem a very bizarre and risky thing for him to do before an official announcement or teaser has been released.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Dorek pointed out elsewhere that Greg's BZP sig now reads "Bionicle Returns 2015". His last login was April 1st, 2013, and an April Fools topic about the return of BIONICLE was made under his account that day. I don't remember his sig saying "Bionicle Returns 2015" back then, so it had to have been changed after that. How is that possible, though, when he hasn't logged in since April 2013? This is a change that would have to have been made in the Admin / Mod CP by someone else... I'm not accusing any staff member of this, rather I think his account may have been hacked. Greg certainly wouldn't add that to his sig himself...

His sig definitely said "Bionicle Returns 2015" during the April 1 account hijack. It was definitely not Greg,

• Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

His sig definitely said "Bionicle Returns 2015" during the April 1 account hijack. It was definitely not Greg,

Ah, I guess I just remembered incorrectly then. Thanks for clarifying that. :P

Bliss.png