Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Maybe darker was the wrong word, though it did have elements that were darker than Chima and Ninjago (mostly). I'm not entirely sure what the right word would be, but as much as I love the Chima and Ninjago series and video games, I can't help but feel like a lot of it's a bit forced. For the most part, the story in BIONICLE is more natural and seems to flow better, and in terms of structure and writing seems a tad more mature. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me (and I don't blame them, seeing as I'm very biased in BIONICLE's favour) but I think BIONICLE also had a stronger sense of self. Man, that sounded pretentious.

Bionicle literally opened on a fart joke.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I'm not sure where you got those statements on bionicle sales, but I know for a fact most of them are incorrect. Bionicle sales actually peaked in 2003. The only reason lego didn't cancel Bionicle back then (there was talk of cancellation at the time) was because the sales were at such a record-breaking high. Lego originally planned for bionicle to be a short-lived technic based theme like slizers, robo riders, throwbots, etc. They had reached a good ending point in the story... as far as anyone knew Makuta was dead, and the toa had won. The outrageously large sales were what caused lego to reconsider cancelling Bionicle. After 2003 sales dropped by about 5,000 to 10,000 sets each year until 2009 when the sales dropped by almost 50,000 sets that year.

Now I'm really curious as to where exactly you are getting those numbers from. I'm pretty sure I recall it being said several times on several places that BIONICLE sales peaked in 2002. I've also heard about LEGO considering cancelling BIONICLE in 2003, though. As far as those drops per year, never heard of them before. Could you provide a source?

I can't provide a a source for this, as I've simply heard it around, but I believe that Bionicle's sales peaked in 2002, while profit earned from the line peaked in 2003.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Maybe darker was the wrong word, though it did have elements that were darker than Chima and Ninjago (mostly). I'm not entirely sure what the right word would be, but as much as I love the Chima and Ninjago series and video games, I can't help but feel like a lot of it's a bit forced. For the most part, the story in BIONICLE is more natural and seems to flow better, and in terms of structure and writing seems a tad more mature. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me (and I don't blame them, seeing as I'm very biased in BIONICLE's favour) but I think BIONICLE also had a stronger sense of self. Man, that sounded pretentious.

You can have lavatorial humour in 'mature' films. Watch The Usual Suspects and The Matrix if you haven't already seen them; fantastically well-crafted, very dark, but still able to keep a light tone and able to make silly humour work alongside their respective darknesses.

You guys are just trying to pick holes in what I say again. This is why I don't often come to BZPower.

• Upvote 2

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

It didn't open on a fart joke. That instance was about half and hour into playing the MNOLG; also, despite being a member of the Chronicler's Company, Kapura was a minor character in they year and through the entire storyline.

IMO, the personalities and interactions of the characters weren't what made Bionicle darker and more engaging than Chima or Ninjago. The setting of the story and the stakes that were placed upon the Toa were truly dark, though; we had an island, populated by tiny villagers, that was being ravaged and destroyed by giant animals that were possessed by a evil spirit. Said evil spirit also put the god and primary benefactor of the tiny villagers into an endless sleep, during which they're forced to fight a war for 1,000 years. Matoran die during the war; Jaller speaks of losing men at the Tren Krom Break in the MNOLG, and daily life for most of them isn't just uncomfortable, or not ideal; rather, it's downright misery. This is especially apparent in Onu-Koro, Le-Koro, and Po-Koro during the MNOLG, but things were far from rosy all over the island as Rahi destroyed the landscape and homes of Matoran constantly. Still think that the story wasn't legitimately dark?

• Upvote 3

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

^This is gold right here.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

It didn't open on a fart joke. That instance was about half and hour into playing the MNOLG; also, despite being a member of the Chronicler's Company, Kapura was a minor character in they year and through the entire storyline.

IMO, the personalities and interactions of the characters weren't what made Bionicle darker and more engaging than Chima or Ninjago. The setting of the story and the stakes that were placed upon the Toa were truly dark, though; we had an island, populated by tiny villagers, that was being ravaged and destroyed by giant animals that were possessed by a evil spirit. Said evil spirit also put the god and primary benefactor of the tiny villagers into an endless sleep, during which they're forced to fight a war for 1,000 years. Matoran die during the war; Jaller speaks of losing men at the Tren Krom Break in the MNOLG, and daily life for most of them isn't just uncomfortable, or not ideal; rather, it's downright misery. This is especially apparent in Onu-Koro, Le-Koro, and Po-Koro during the MNOLG, but things were far from rosy all over the island as Rahi destroyed the landscape and homes of Matoran constantly. Still think that the story wasn't legitimately dark?

The word you're looking for isn't "dark"; dark is a word wrapped up in brooding machismo and sloppy writing, both of which I will agree Bionicle tried forcing in there a few times as the story went one. For starters, Greg himself said no Matoran died on Mata Nui, so even if death automatically made something dark, it's wrong. Also, I don't know about you, but I never got the impression the Matoran of Mata Nui lived in misery. Le-Koro threw a huge party after being rescued from the Nui Rama, and are in general known for being both partiers and pranksters. Those don't sound like the hobbies of Matoran living in misery. The Ta-Matoran lava-boarded, the Po-Matoran played Kohlii, Matoran in general seemed to still be having fun. Those don't sound like miserable Matoran. Yes, life was a little tough for them, but if what you took away from MNOG is that the Matoran were miserable, I can't say we were playing the same game.

The word you were looking for, I think, is serious. With that much as stake, Bionicle's story certainly was very serious. However, from what I've heard, Ninjago has similar settings and situations, yet you don't consider it on the same level as Bionicle. What, then, is the difference? If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's that one was a line dear to your heart as a child, and the other was introduced when you became a teenager who views current toys as inferior to whatever you had when you were younger.

• Upvote 3

I really haven't kept up with Hero Factory at all, so when people talk about this building system from it, what exactly IS it? Is it found in all HF sets or in some later waves. I wanted to look up on them to see how BIONICLE would look if it came back in said building system.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Which brings me back to my original question: how can kapura fart if he doesn't have an ***?

Exhaust pipes? He is half-mechanical. :P

But in general I liked that BIONICLE media that didn't take itself quite so seriously. Macku blushes through her mask in one of the Bohrok Online Animations, but it's not a problem because you understand that it's just visual shorthand for her feelings, not for whether or not her mask has blood vessels running through it. If BIONICLE were to come back I wouldn't mind a return to that slightly more playful attitude. I'm not saying it should become pure slapstick wackiness like the LEGO City shorts, but some jokes like the ones in LEGO Ninjago (such as when Cole whistles the LEGO Ninjago overture) wouldn't hurt, I don't think.

Which brings me back to my original question: how can kapura fart if he doesn't have an ***?

Well, they are bio mechanical creatures, and many machines the run on some sort of energy has some sort of conversion of energy, whether it is light, movement, or yes, even some sort of exhaust as it chemically changes the energy it consumes, much like say, a car. I think its natural for all of them to have some sort of exhaust port, and thus, exhaust.

-SK

pohatu_like_a_boss.gif

If Bonkle comes back next year I will be truly grateful.

If Bonkle doesn't come back next year it will be the same as this year.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I really haven't kept up with Hero Factory at all, so when people talk about this building system from it, what exactly IS it? Is it found in all HF sets or in some later waves. I wanted to look up on them to see how BIONICLE would look if it came back in said building system.

The new CCBS (Character and Creature Building System) is found in all Hero Factory sets except those from the first year, the Ultrabuild Super Heroes sets, and the Legends of Chima constraction sets. It's a system much like Bionicle's, only it primarily uses ball and socket joints not just for limbs but also for the majority of builds as well as attaching armor.

Brief rundown. There are two primary types of Hero Factory parts: Beams (like this, this, this, or even this. As you can see, beams are used for both limbs and torsos (or even for connecting torso beams together on some larger models). Torso bones and longer bones feature ball joints not just on the ends but also in the center of the bone, as well as technic holes for connecting traditional Technic parts. Bones come in a wide range of sizes (unlike Bionicle limbs, which were more limited) but they're typically undecorated (apart from occasionally coming in different colors). As a side note, the ball cups on bones are much improved from those in Bionicle, with thicker walls that prevent you from sticking an axle through but also are practically guaranteed not to break through normal use, unlike the fragile joints in Bionicle's later years.

The second type of part inherent to the CCBS are shells. Shells also come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, such as this, this, or this. Shells also attach to ball joints, and on limbs and torsos are typically attached to those center ball joints I mentioned earlier. Many shells have a smooth, low detail aesthetic that works well with many types of Lego builds, but there are also some more detailed shells like this one. Additionally, most shells feature one or more sets of two holes on them. These holes are the same size as the kind of bars which can be gripped by minifigures, allowing easy attachment of details. On top of that, there are detail elements like this one which have two bars on the back, designed to go on top of existing shells.

There are many other complex or specialized parts in the system, but these are the basics. The advantages of this system over Bionicle's are numerous. For one, you can build a unique model with a limited variety of parts. Unlike Bionicle limb beams which only had connections on two sides and needed Technic connectors to attach things to them, a CCBS shell can attach to a bone in many orientations, and while larger bones have holes for traditional Technic parts (which are useful on larger models) you don't necessarily need them to add detail. Bones can also attach to other bones, allowing for larger, more complex builds.

The main disadvantage, if you can call it that, of the CCBS is that the aesthetic is much different from the complex, greebled aesthetic of many Bionicle parts. A basic Hero Factory model will often have a smooth, clean aesthetic, but conversely there are far fewer parts with details like pistons and joints molded in. Some people also dislike the simplicity of many CCBS builds, especially smaller ones, due to the lack of need for Technic parts in many cases. But as mentioned above, if you want to use a more Technic-intensive build the connection points for it are available.

A part engineer for Lego on Eurobricks has confirmed that the CCBS is going to continue to be used for the foreseeable future, so we should expect the rumored Bionicle return to continue to use it. But personally, I expect new shells and shell detail elements that are more similar to Bionicle's mechanical aesthetic to gradually be introduced (without necessarily replacing the smooth shells used in Hero Factory and many other themes).

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question in-depth. Looking at it, it looks really alien to me from what I have seen with BIONICLE. I've seen pictures of HF sets and I couldn't tell it was of a different building system. The parts look kinda complex to deal with, but that's probably because this is all new to me. I have almost no clue what any of the connector pieces would do, but again, it's probably because I never got into HF.

If BIONICLE were to return with this style, I would have a sort of mixed feelings about it. It seems that it would work well Glatorian and Agori. IMO, that building system makes the sets look more organic looking than a mechanical robot. Maybe that is just me. I think they should bring it back with the MU inhabitants using the old build, along with any other robot sets such as if they released the Marendar as a set, to keep it in a robot looking fashion. And then they should release any Spherus Magna inhabitants with the new build system. I'd also want the Toa/Matoran to have the regular Toa heads...

• Upvote 1

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question in-depth. Looking at it, it looks really alien to me from what I have seen with BIONICLE. I've seen pictures of HF sets and I couldn't tell it was of a different building system. The parts look kinda complex to deal with, but that's probably because this is all new to me. I have almost no clue what any of the connector pieces would do, but again, it's probably because I never got into HF.

If BIONICLE were to return with this style, I would have a sort of mixed feelings about it. It seems that it would work well Glatorian and Agori. IMO, that building system makes the sets look more organic looking than a mechanical robot. Maybe that is just me. I think they should bring it back with the MU inhabitants using the old build, along with any other robot sets such as if they released the Marendar as a set, to keep it in a robot looking fashion. And then they should release any Spherus Magna inhabitants with the new build system. I'd also want the Toa/Matoran to have the regular Toa heads...

Personally, the shells from the new building system remind me a lot of the Toa Nuva designs in BIONICLE: The Game. Here are some examples for you. This is part of why I'm not opposed to the idea of BIONICLE in this building system — it's dabbled in so many different aesthetic styles already. Even in the sets, the Toa Nuva look a lot different from the Toa Metru or Toa Mahri. They're all ostensibly the same species, but the aesthetics of their designs changed dramatically over time.

I created a MOC of Tahu in the CCBS here (though obviously, the Hero Core was sort of a joke and not really something I'd expect a new Tahu set to have). This was just to show what you might get if you want to maintain more or less the same piece count and proportions of the original Tahu. A new Tahu set would probably be at the $10 price point, so you could probably expect more pieces (40–50 rather than 33), better proportions (with narrower shoulders, and arms a different length from the legs), and some new pieces to lend him a fresh and unique aesthetic.

Some people have liked this MOC of mine, other people have hated it. But I'm just showing that as an example of what an extremely basic BIONICLE figure might look like using parts from the CCBS.

Edited by Aanchir

Those look like how the Toa Nuva appeared in Mask of Light. I honestly never like that design as much because it never really looked like the actual sets. Especially the Matoran, they just looked hideous. 

The way you talk about the aesthetics reminds me of The Legend of Zelda games where a lot of the games have different art styles [Normal-ish in Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, Cel-shaded in The Wind Waker, 'realistic' a.k.a shades of brown in Twilight Princess, Painting like in Skyward Sword (and the upcoming one shown at E3)], but their gameplay is relatively the same. You explore dungeons, you can Z/L/ZL-target, and so on. All canon games fit into the same timeline [including the three branches] no matter what art style they were in. So I guess BIONICLE would kinda be the same at heart. 

The Tahu looks fine. The only thing about it is that it kinda reminds me of Furno for some odd reason, which is weird because I was never into Hero Factory. However, if BIONICLE were to return in that design I wouldn't want something as simplistic as that Tahu. I want a sort of gimmick. Like how there was the whole sea thing in 2007 and the swamp/air thing in 2008. I want it to have a cool blaster and a theme. I want it to have collectable ammo that isn't a zamor sphere recolor or a no good rubber squid. But all in all, whatever happens, I will be ok with because all I'm asking for is BIONICLE to return.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure where you got those statements on bionicle sales, but I know for a fact most of them are incorrect. Bionicle sales actually peaked in 2003. The only reason lego didn't cancel Bionicle back then (there was talk of cancellation at the time) was because the sales were at such a record-breaking high. Lego originally planned for bionicle to be a short-lived technic based theme like slizers, robo riders, throwbots, etc. They had reached a good ending point in the story... as far as anyone knew Makuta was dead, and the toa had won. The outrageously large sales were what caused lego to reconsider cancelling Bionicle. After 2003 sales dropped by about 5,000 to 10,000 sets each year until 2009 when the sales dropped by almost 50,000 sets that year.

Now I'm really curious as to where exactly you are getting those numbers from. I'm pretty sure I recall it being said several times on several places that BIONICLE sales peaked in 2002. I've also heard about LEGO considering cancelling BIONICLE in 2003, though. As far as those drops per year, never heard of them before. Could you provide a source?

I can't provide a a source for this, as I've simply heard it around, but I believe that Bionicle's sales peaked in 2002, while profit earned from the line peaked in 2003.Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Profit was highest in 2006. 

AΨ 94

However, if BIONICLE were to return in that design I wouldn't want something as simplistic as that Tahu.

Me too. I for one would appreciate a titan-sized Tahu! And if the storyline would demand the return of the other Toa Mata, I'd like them to be titans as well.

@Aanchir: I personally think that a new Bionicle would work well with the CCBS. If they do a sort of "mixture": The few Bionicle pieces still in production, CCBS, some Technic, and some new parts, I really think they could really do something great.

• Upvote 3

sig.jpg

I shall walk into the store one day and say "OMG!!! IT'S OMEGA TAHU!"

I really don't like huge sets just for the sage of being huge though. Toa Mata Nui had no story reason to be so big... I want something story related if Omega Tahu is real.

This is just a weird thing of mines but I really wont want to buy previous version of a character if they have transformed. Eg. I wont buy Mistika Tahu because he devolved in story. Which is why I care so much about if the Nuva are still in their Karda Nui forms or not. I would use it for parts and build a rahi or something. So I really hope they don't remake the Nuvas. 

I'm fairly sure it was Greg in an interview from a year or two ago who said '02 was the line's most successful year.

EDIT: About six and a half minutes in.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 2

I'm fairly sure it was Greg in an interview from a year or two ago who said '02 was the line's most successful year.

No surprise there. It was a truly incredible year. Shame I was too young to see it properly.

EDIT: 500th reply to the topic. Woot.

Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

That's also consistent with what was written in the book Brick by Brick, which is pretty much entirely about the LEGO Group's recovery in the early to mid-naughts. So I'd trust that statistic.

I know this discussion is a few pages back, but I, for one would like them to bring back Makuta. Perhaps not right away, maybe in a couple years. I kind of like Aanchir's idea of a cultist group of baddies that are devoted to, and eventually find a way to revive Makuta. Until then there could be vague references to the master of shadows returning and it could be a sort of unraveling mystery as to who or what whatever prophecy and the cultist are talking about. 

To be fair, I just reread Time Trap, so I'm kind of biased about wanting Makuta back. He was portrayed so well in it.   :infected:

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I know this discussion is a few pages back, but I, for one would like them to bring back Makuta. Perhaps not right away, maybe in a couple years. I kind of like Aanchir's idea of a cultist group of baddies that are devoted to, and eventually find a way to revive Makuta. Until then there could be vague references to the master of shadows returning and it could be a sort of unraveling mystery as to who or what whatever prophecy and the cultist are talking about. 

To be fair, I just reread Time Trap, so I'm kind of biased about wanting Makuta back. He was portrayed so well in it.   :infected:

That is an awesome idea. I hope Lego read and use it.

• Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

LEGO does not release sales figures to any outside source. They do yearly sales recaps that offer just "this was our best-selling, this one underperformed" but that's about it. Anyone claiming actual sales figures and numbers either got them through a mystifying source or is lying.

• Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

LEGO does not release sales figures to any outside source. They do yearly sales recaps that offer just "this was our best-selling, this one underperformed" but that's about it. Anyone claiming actual sales figures and numbers either got them through a mystifying source or is lying.

Ah, thanks! I thought it seemed a bit odd that I couldn't find any solid sales figures but that seems like smart business practice.

To get this back on topic: I'm inclined to believe this latest rumour as much as I believed the rumours in 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. As much as I'd love to see Bionicle return, I'll wait for an official release from Lego before I believe it's coming back. 

Edited by Kalopsia

I doubt it's coming back.

It hasn't even been five years since it ended. Why would LEGO revive a theme that was already failing in its later years? Nine years or so was enough. LEGO can come up with new ideas, they don't need to resort to old ones. I'd much rather see a new theme than a revived old one.

If there are leaked images, I'm going to believe they're bootlegs with modern parts stuck to them and photoshopped onto a box. Those 08 'nuva leaks' earlier in the topic, that's also why I choose to believe this.

Pulse, at least one of the two leaked images is almost certainly real. I get the feeling that you haven't seen either of them. Almost everyone is agreeing that they're likely from TLG, because of their realism.

There are no new leaked images of Bionicle because Bionicle ended in 2010, if there are, they are very likely to be fake, using some sort of MoCs or bootlegs with more modern pieces slapped on, photoshopped onto some boxes, and then those boxes probably had a poor-quality photograph taken of them. 

It ended in 2010. It's time to let go of Bionicle and move on. LEGO's creative enough to come up with a new theme. Why would they 'revive' an old one?  There's no need to beat a dead horse that is likely now decaying. Find a new horse, that is, LEGO's probably creating a new constraction theme.

Are we doomed?
SRC9Wkk.png

You know what'd be cool? If in a new story arc, the 'ancient astronauts' that conspiracy theorists think were present in our history were the Great Beings. A new BIONICLE line could eventually end up coming to Earth, if the histories of Spherus Magna and Earth were somehow tied together.

Maybe after a year of a new Toa group finding clues about the Great Beings on Spherus Magna, there's a jump across in the story to a bunch of humans on Earth finding a tomb belonging to Heremus or another Great Being. The tomb could be like the lab seen in The Legend Reborn, only created much later, and just as Angonce stayed on Spherus Magna, another Great Being might have stayed on Earth. Even better, the 'ancient astronauts' could have been when the GB came the first time, but intelligent life hadn't developed far enough to begin their experiments. Now that we're developed as a species, they could come back to pick up where they left off.

What if figures from Earth mythology - particularly those in Oceanic mythology, on which a lot of BIONICLE draws inspiration - are earlier creations of the Great Beings? It'd be awesome if it turned out that Vulcan Ra were based on the designs for Toa of Fire, or if Anansi was based on a Toa of Air.

I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but I'd love to see a proper BIONICLE/Earth crossover. Maybe I'll write it myself as a fanfic someday. I disagree with Greg saying it couldn't be possible in the story, because it's fiction.

This is just one way I would love to see BIONICLE return.

• Upvote 1

, and Avengers Tower!

burning_logo.jpg

Oh no. Please no. Like, that would be fine as a fanfic and all, but

gahhhh

I would really dislike it if Bionicle got connected with earth.

(Not to mention that it's already been confirmed that it isn't in the same universe.)

• Upvote 3
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

(Not to mention that it's already been confirmed that it isn't in the same universe.)

See, I don't understand that. It's fiction, and in fiction you can make up the rules. The only reason why Earth and Spherus Magna can't exist in the same universe, or even omniverse, is because Greg didn't want it to. That's it.

, and Avengers Tower!

burning_logo.jpg

See, I don't understand that. It's fiction, and in fiction you can make up the rules. The only reason why Earth and Spherus Magna can't exist in the same universe, or even omniverse, is because Greg didn't want it to. That's it.

That, and if they existed in the same universe, greg could no longer say "earth physics don't apply" whenever it's convenient to cover sloppy writing

• Upvote 5

And a bunch of fans in the target audience didn't want it and told Greg and Lego not to do it. 

Those people still exist. Fear them. 

• Upvote 2