Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

At what point has such a statement been made? Not wanting humans in Bionicle specifically doesn't mean disliking humans generally.

*ahem*

Believe it or not, when I read science fiction, where anything is possible, I'm not reading it for boring, egocentric humans with their boring, egocentric human problems. Bionicles biggest appeal to me was a completely alien universe with completely alien characters and species, character who we connect with because of their personailities and struggles, not the fact that they share DNA with us. I liked exploring alien worlds, not having humans forced upon me when I read to escape how terrible humans are.

I'll give you that one, although the claim I was addressing regarded "so many people", not one person.

to say that bullying is uncommon is like saying nobody eats breakfast cereal. Doesn't quite add up.

I'm not saying it's uncommon, I'm saying I don't think you should attribute people's views to stuff you don't know ever happened to them.

Does this kind of thing strike no-one else as rude?

Not me, because I don't see anything about it that personally attacks you. Kopekemaster was asking whether you'd considered something Greg had said.

• Upvote 1

...in a condescending and snooty tone. It's rude, my friend. Even on the internet, you should treat others with respect. I have no problem with people who disagree with me, and I enjoy a good debate. What I do have a problem with is thinking that they can be rude or feed a superiority complex when on the internet because you don't have to talk to others face-to-face. You can be rude to someone without addressing them personally, too. Kopekemaster's comment was condescending and suggesting that I was a fool for purposefully overlooking a piece of information, neither of which is true. The tone of the comment was rude.

I'm done with this thread. You can reply to you heart's content, make as many pages as you like, but I'm not coming back to this thread.

• Upvote 2

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I'm...guessing you aren't considering the fact that Greg has said that they aren't in the same universe, and the Bionicle universe doesn't have [all of] the physical laws of the universe a "real reason"?

Not to me, but I'e really been desensitized to the whole thing, so my opinion may not be valid.

Can we all just move past that discussion?  ;)

• Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Not the best with words here, but I think that sort of covers the "Humans in fiction = all about humans 90% of the time, and it detracts from the story and gives the unique species barely any meaningful interaction and development within the overall plot".

Clearly you have never read Issac Asmov's series that were all about robots. On Earth. Among humans.

No, I haven't. But one strain of books out of the literal thousands that exist does not disprove the overall point of the argument and does not fix a problem with a genre as a whole. (There is a reason I wrote 90% and not 100%, it's just a way to illustrate "most of the time" and not "all of the time")

My post could have been worded better - sorry about that. :( Yeah, I was confused there, I thought it meant that humans had 90% of the the screen time in works featuring them, not that 90% of works featuring humans were human-centric. 

What I meant to say is that it is possible to include humans without making them the center of the story in a sci-fi work. You're right that it tends to be that way. 

However, I think it would be hard to do a Bionicle return with humans and including them without making them the center of the story. If there are new characters coming into the story, a story naturally puts emphasis on them to allow readers to get to know them. Having humans enter the Bionicle world would mean that they get a lot of screen time because we don't know these human characters. It's not like The Lego Movie. Anything involving the Bionicle universe needs a big explanation filled with theoretical physics and the S&T forum seal of logical approval. :P

Why is everyone so snarky and condescending around here?

Internet

That's not an excuse. The Internet is not an excuse. For anything.

In reality, it's probably just poor wording. Also wit gets you more reputation votes, and people are in a hurry and don't check their posts before firing away.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

And Kitania, I didn't miss the point.

I understand you mentioned not checking the topic again, but what leads me to believe you didn't grasp the opposing position's argument is more with the example you provided as analogous to it (when it wasn't [The Makuta/Tahu/Vultraz thing]). That and suggesting things about people that may, or may not, be true (the "They must have been bullied to develop a distaste for humans in fiction" [paraphrased]) doesn't support any return argument for why humans would be a boon to have for the overall story and how their presence wouldn't end up deconstructing everything created by the original writers/team to make a unique and separate universe.

Additionally... there's not a lot I'm seeing as particularly condescending or snotty? I'm just seeing people disagreeing with an idea due to how the idea tends to be implemented in other works of fiction, with explanations how it would do more harm to the story than not. (Though if you do feel like someone is insulting you, being rude to the point of rule-breaking and the like, you can report and a staff person will look it over)

(And I think the canisters were discontinued due to Lego wanting to be more environmentally conscious? I do say think... like, I vaguely remember reading something about that before; if I find it again I'll edit this post with that unless someone else with better recall than I tells me I'm remembering correctly/incorrectly first lol)

Edited by Kitania
  • Upvote 3

On another note, I can't understand why so many people here are 'anti-human'. I do understand that a lot of people here may have been bullied at school (I was, for years) or be a bit of an isolationist, but making the statement that you dislike humans, in fiction and/or in real life?

At what point has such a statement been made? Not wanting humans in Bionicle specifically doesn't mean disliking humans generally.

And I think you should avoid claiming that other people have likely been bullied or are isolationists simply due to your own history (which, needless to say, only applies to you).

I'm not putting my own history onto other people, but to say that bullying is uncommon is like saying nobody eats breakfast cereal. Doesn't quite add up.

Why is everyone so snarky and condescending around here? I enjoy having a challenging discussion, but saying:

I'm...guessing you aren't considering the fact that Greg has said that they aren't in the same universe, and the Bionicle universe doesn't have [all of] the physical laws of the universe a "real reason"?

Dont you think that you are getting just a tad bit [upset] over this? If you are so offended over an insignificant remark, what business do you have on the internet?

Edited by -Windrider-

Canisters, the canister guy was so right.

Who needs derpy resealable baggies with no interesting or redeemable features?

People who value efficiency and hate wasted space? People who find the graphical quality of the latest Hero Factory pouches, with high-quality decorative printing on every inch of the package's surface, simply enthralling? People who already own more canisters than they'll ever need? People who aren't fond of paying for more package and less product?

I for one love the pouches. Canisters have charms of their own, but I think the LEGO Group has struck gold with this award-winning package design. It'd be a shame to simply abandon that.

Let's hope we get sets in decorated ziplocks? : P

In response to "people-hating," it's that non-human universe inevitably get worse when humans are thrown into the mix. I like humans, usually, as I am one. That said, when the center of a storyline or universe gets shifted by the uncharacteristic appearance of humans, I cannot approve of that.

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

People who value efficiency and hate wasted space? People who find the graphical quality of the latest Hero Factory pouches, with high-quality decorative printing on every inch of the package's surface, simply enthralling? People who already own more canisters than they'll ever need? People who aren't fond of paying for more package and less product?

I for one love the pouches. Canisters have charms of their own, but I think the LEGO Group has struck gold with this award-winning package design. It'd be a shame to simply abandon that.

The current style of pouches would be cool, but I would not complain if the LEGO Group came up with something new and innovative (maybe something like the 2014 Speedorz boxes but resealable and collapsible would be interesting). I feel like plastic or metal canisters would be a step backwards, from an economic perspective, a functional perspective, and an environmental perspective.

The environmental factor should not be discounted. The LEGO Group has been very committed to reducing their carbon footprint in recent years, by shrinking the size of packages and using new packaging solutions based on cardboard or plastic foil rather than blister packages and canisters. For instance, as of this year the Legends of Chima sets started using elaborate folded cardboard packages rather than blister packs like the previous Speedorz and Ninjago spinners, and the mini Creator sets have started using small cardboard boxes rather than plastic canisters. this press release says the foil Hero Factory package design "reduces carbon footprint significantly versus a plastic canister or a cardboard box."

• Upvote 1

Aanchir

Posted Jul 13 2014 - 04:54 PM

Wazdakka, on 13 Jul 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:snapback.png

Aanchir, on 12 Jul 2014 - 8:58 PM, said:snapback.png

Wazdakka, on 12 Jul 2014 - 7:45 PM, said:snapback.png

The current style of pouches would be cool, but I would not complain if the LEGO Group came up with something new and innovative (maybe something like the 2014 Speedorz boxes but resealable and collapsible would be interesting). I feel like plastic or metal canisters would be a step backwards, from an economic perspective, a functional perspective, and an environmental perspective.

The environmental factor should not be discounted. The LEGO Group has been very committed to reducing their carbon footprint in recent years, by shrinking the size of packages and using new packaging solutions based on cardboard or plastic foil rather than blister packages and canisters. For instance, as of this year the Legends of Chima sets started using elaborate folded cardboard packages rather than blister packs like the previous Speedorz and Ninjago spinners, and the mini Creator sets have started using small cardboard boxes rather than plastic canisters. this press releasesays the foil Hero Factory package design "reduces carbon footprint significantly versus a plastic canister or a cardboard box."

Well Canisters maybe can return for the New BIONICLE Line.

Edited by Spiderus Prime

I'm...guessing you aren't considering the fact that Greg has said that they aren't in the same universe, and the Bionicle universe doesn't have [all of] the physical laws of the universe a "real reason"?

I didn't think it was rude, nor did I mean to be. I was merely asking a question. I was asking if you were not bothering to accept the [somewhat pointless] "rules" that Greg/others have made, and just asking the question in a "is there any REAL reason" sense.

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

So, in an attempt to get the thread slightly back on track, I ask this. If BIONICLE would return, what sort of media outlets would you think would work to accompany the sets? I personally would like to see a video game, specifically an RPG-style game. A new game would be released every year or so, for each storyline.

Video games would be cool, especially if there were a point-and-click adventure game like the MNOG. It seems like a game like that would be ideal for mobile gaming, so with that becoming such a popular platform for promotional media it's peculiar that the LEGO Group hasn't released one in a long time.

Books are probably to be expected, but no telling when — despite it being a huge new theme, Ninjago didn't get chapter books until August 2011, over half a year after the first sets were released, and its first graphic novel came out in November. Likewise, Hero Factory didn't get a lot of books published until 2012 despite premiering in summer 2010. So we might have to wait a bit before a BIONICLE book series gets underway.

And as for animated media, no telling. The LEGO Group might do a TV special like they did for LEGO Friends, Atlantis, and Ninjago 2011, or they might do a full TV series like they did for Ninjago 2012 and Legends of Chima. Or they might wait on that and prepare for a feature-length movie. I wouldn't mind any of those possibilities, though I think a full TV series would have the best chance of increasing BIONICLE's exposure.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

So, in an attempt to get the thread slightly back on track, I ask this. If BIONICLE would return, what sort of media outlets would you think would work to accompany the sets? I personally would like to see a video game, specifically an RPG-style game. A new game would be released every year or so, for each storyline.

I would adore a full fledged Bionicle RPG, and would love a new MNOG style point and click. I think Bionicle as a franchise had so much untapped potential in its first run (I'm getting giddy just considering Bionicle getting a second run). None of the games outside of MNOG 1/2 really got into the powers, the lore, and just the feel of Bionicle. I would hope books are back as well.

Depends on the story, but perhaps a MMOG would be nice if the story was set on Spherus Magna. I would like to see the serials make a return, at least to finish the current ones. 

If they do a MMOG, I'd like it to carry the story like MNOLG, and then have the books for clarification and expansion of the world. Otherwise I'd want to see a TV series in the style of Ninjago or LOST...continuity-based. But I think a MMOG + books feels more Bionicle. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, if Lego were to make a tv show for BIONICLE, what if they decided to make it 2D like mnolg style instead of 3D? Personally, I don't think they will, but I think it would be interesting to see.

I think that would be a great way for a Bionicle TV show to be animated, but like you, I don't think it's likely to happen. 3D CGI has the benefit of making sure characters are more consistently on-model (an advantage for a toy-driven show, since it allows for greater accuracy to the product), and is likely cheaper in the long run for a theme like Bionicle since a CGI model can be based directly on the physical sets and would not require extensive redraws for most new poses or actions. Lego has historically shown preference toward CGI for its TV shows and movies (with Mixels, a co-developed theme with Cartoon Network, being an exception).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ok, if Lego were to make a tv show for BIONICLE, what if they decided to make it 2D like mnolg style instead of 3D? Personally, I don't think they will, but I think it would be interesting to see.

I think that would be a great way for a Bionicle TV show to be animated, but like you, I don't think it's likely to happen. 3D CGI has the benefit of making sure characters are more consistently on-model (an advantage for a toy-driven show, since it allows for greater accuracy to the product), and is likely cheaper in the long run for a theme like Bionicle since a CGI model can be based directly on the physical sets and would not require extensive redraws for most new poses or actions. Lego has historically shown preference toward CGI for its TV shows and movies (with Mixels, a co-developed theme with Cartoon Network, being an exception).

Well, many of Hasbro's merchandise-driven shows (including My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Littlest Pet Shop, and Transformers Rescue Bots) are animated in Flash, and those stay on model pretty reliably. So it's definitely not a possibility to rule out.
  • Upvote 1

Ive been away since wendsday and ive noticed there is a lot more on this topic. Im to lazy to read all of it so could somebody please fill me in about if there is any more evidence saying bionilce will or wont come back, or any new theories.

Thankyou

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

Ive been away since wendsday and ive noticed there is a lot more on this topic. Im to lazy to read all of it so could somebody please fill me in about if there is any more evidence saying bionilce will or wont come back, or any new theories.

Thankyou

No worries. At the moment, you'd probably get the most important new developments out of this topic, where we're trying to determine whether or not we're allowed to talk about a major new leak regarding the names of upcoming sets.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Video games would be cool, especially if there were a point-and-click adventure game like the MNOG. It seems like a game like that would be ideal for mobile gaming, so with that becoming such a popular platform for promotional media it's peculiar that the LEGO Group hasn't released one in a long time.

Books are probably to be expected, but no telling when — despite it being a huge new theme, Ninjago didn't get chapter books until August 2011, over half a year after the first sets were released, and its first graphic novel came out in November. Likewise, Hero Factory didn't get a lot of books published until 2012 despite premiering in summer 2010. So we might have to wait a bit before a BIONICLE book series gets underway.

And as for animated media, no telling. The LEGO Group might do a TV special like they did for LEGO Friends, Atlantis, and Ninjago 2011, or they might do a full TV series like they did for Ninjago 2012 and Legends of Chima. Or they might wait on that and prepare for a feature-length movie. I wouldn't mind any of those possibilities, though I think a full TV series would have the best chance of increasing BIONICLE's exposure.

A long time? Wasn't the Invasion from Below game released on mobile? I know the Breakout and Brain Attack games were.

Another Bionicle movie would be cool too, if they could get Miramax to do it; I didn't really care for TLR.

sig.jpg

...in a condescending and snooty tone. It's rude, my friend. Even on the internet, you should treat others with respect. I have no problem with people who disagree with me, and I enjoy a good debate. What I do have a problem with is thinking that they can be rude or feed a superiority complex when on the internet because you don't have to talk to others face-to-face. You can be rude to someone without addressing them personally, too. Kopekemaster's comment was condescending and suggesting that I was a fool for purposefully overlooking a piece of information, neither of which is true. The tone of the comment was rude.

I'm done with this thread. You can reply to you heart's content, make as many pages as you like, but I'm not coming back to this thread.

[Nope]

Edit: See my post above, #568 in the thread.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

A long time? Wasn't the Invasion from Below game released on mobile? I know the Breakout and Brain Attack games were.

Another Bionicle movie would be cool too, if they could get Miramax to do it; I didn't really care for TLR.

I was saying it's been a long time since we've had a point-and-click adventure game, not a mobile game. Invasion from Below is a platformer/beat-em-up, while Breakout and Brain Attack were both action games.

A good example of a fantastic adventure game released for mobile devices is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD, which is itself a rerelease of games for the Game Boy Advance.

I'd honestly want a different studio to do CGI work than either of them, one with the best of both worlds. Miramax had good models, and their movies had superior story to TLR, but the studio that did TLR had texturing and lighting down to a science. On the other hand, Miramax movies had those weird, fuzzy slow-mo scenes that, at least to me, were often terrible quality, while TLR had jerky animation at times and an awful story.

Both also had a lot of noticeable clipping errors. Not that larger animation studios don't also have them, but when Jaller's entire hand passes through something noticeably, it's a little unprofessional.

• Upvote 2

I'd honestly want a different studio to do CGI work than either of them, one with the best of both worlds. Miramax had good models, and their movies had superior story to TLR, but the studio that did TLR had texturing and lighting down to a science. On the other hand, Miramax movies had those weird, fuzzy slow-mo scenes that, at least to me, were often terrible quality, while TLR had jerky animation at times and an awful story.

Both also had a lot of noticeable clipping errors. Not that larger animation studios don't also have them, but when Jaller's entire hand passes through something noticeably, it's a little unprofessional.

More Miramax films would be nice, but..........

I'm not all that keen on the character models in their films (Due to the severe absence of set accuracy in most characters), but I do have to point out that in the HF episodes (At least before IFB), the studio got an excellent balance between set accuracy and still showing mouths for characters. Also I would really like the novels (If Lego will be bringing out novels for Bionicle 2015) to be released outside of North America. I live in the UK, and as far as I know, the original ones were only released in North America, so I never got to read them. I love books. I devoured the whole Lord of The Rings and The Silmarillion within six weeks.

One more thing- We really need a good name for the new Bionicle. Bionicle 2 is just... lame, and Bionicle 2015 is a bit of a mouthful. Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by Makuta Miras

VBWj75sh.png

The LEGO Group has done a lot of good business with Danish animation studios like Ghost, M2Film, and WilFilm lately. I wouldn't mind one bit if they went to one of those companies for BIONICLE animated features. Preferably Ghost, since they have the best credentials for animating BIONICLE-style characters (having done the CGI for BIONICLE and Hero Factory promos and adverts for years, not to mention their work on "Invasion from Below").

On that note, it somewhat saddens me to see how many people seem to blame Ghost for faults with the storyline in "Invasion from Below". They are a VFX studio. Their involvement had nothing to do with the story. Blame writers for the LEGO Group and Advance if you have to, or even the outside screenwriter they brought in, but don't blame the animation studio for things that don't have to do with animation. I for one am very impressed with how Ghost handled that episode's visuals, and with the strength of their working relationship with the LEGO Group. I think a revived BIONICLE would be quite safe in their hands.

re: a name for the new BIONICLE, I think just "BIONICLE" is just fine. If we need to differentiate the old stuff from the new stuff we can call it the BIONICLE 2015 reboot or something, the same way fans of rebooted TV series like Battlestar Galactica might differentiate between the original series and the newer one.

Edited by Aanchir

the day humans become a part of bionilce is the day i kill myself

[settle down - Makaru]

Edited by Makaru

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

the day humans become a part of bionilce is the day i kill myself

Let's not get dramatic here. No matter what the LEGO Group might do to screw up BIONICLE in your eyes, it's not the end of the world! If it turns out you don't like the reboot for any reason, it's not like you'll be any worse off than you are right now with the BIONICLE franchise not active whatsoever. Plenty of popular series get rebooted and plenty of people dislike the changes that are made, but they still have no shortage of things to live for.

it's not like you'll be any worse off than you are right now with the BIONICLE franchise not active whatsoever.

I beg to differ. If BIONICLEs seemingly inevitable return gets screwed up, I'll be seriously mad. Madder then the fact TLG discontinued BIONICLE in the first place.

Edited by Onua39
  • Upvote 1

it's not like you'll be any worse off than you are right now with the BIONICLE franchise not active whatsoever.

I beg to differ. If BIONICLEs seemingly inevitable return gets screwed up, I'll be seriously mad. Madder then the fact TLG discontinued BIONICLE in the first place.

That's your prerogative, but honestly Aanchir's point stands. Nothing is happening to your Bionicle books, comics, movies, video games or toys that will make them any different from how they were when they were new. If you don't like the new Bionicle sets or story, all you have to do is ignore them and stick to the things that made Bionicle special to you. Plenty of Bionicle fans have been doing this since before the theme even ended (keeping headcanon from the early years and ignoring later story), so there's nothing stopping you from doing the same.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And in any case, contemplating suicide over a toy line or story would be completely irrational no matter how it you feel to think about what happens in that toy line or story. Concerning yourself that much with something that is completely outside your control is unhealthy and should be avoided.

• Upvote 1

Mixed feelings on this rumor. Sometimes it's best just to let sleeping dogs lie. Things could end up be awfully disappointing.

I won't hold my breath or get too wound up, but I won't deny some excitement as well. Bionicle was one of the best fandoms I've been in and it would be awesome to return to it. I mean, I'm still in the fandom, but returning to it being active is another.

We'll see how things go.

Edited by Lady Kopaka
  • Upvote 4

I noticed something today while at Walmart, and was wondering if anyone else had noticed-- TLR has been reissued with the old Lego Clutch Powers movie in a dual-pack. I hadn't thought much of it until getting back here and reading more of the posts.

Lego is listening. I am absolutely sure of that. Whether or not they are rebooting Bionicle, they are paying attention to both the Fans and the Focus Groups.

Here's to another thing to look forward to! [hopefully!]

-AZBlue

I, for one, want to see the return of the animations by Ghost. They're still in business, as they are making the cutscenes for Halo: 2 Anniversary, so they definitely could...

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?