Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

But with Bionicle, the main story engine was the secret of the giant robot. The nature of Mata Nui was a one trick horse that could only do its one trick once.They would need to radically alter the nature of the story to make a reboot work without the new audience being able to spoil it with a single google search.

I am extremely disappointed in you if you think "Mata Nui IS the universe" is as central as "Transformers transform".

Okay, that one wasn't as good a comparison, but it WAS as central as the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons in that Mata Nui was what drove the story. Everything in the first eight years of story was tied to awakening Mata Nui or saving him in some way. The mystery of Mata Nui drove it through those eight years, and it's the sort of thing you can only pull once.

• Upvote 2

So don't? I don't understand why everyone interprets "reboot" as "telling the same story again". Nobody wants to read the exact same story again. That story exists. If people want to read it, it's there to read. "Mata Nui is the Universe" has already been told. A successful reboot takes themes from the core line and builds a brand new story.

Elemental heroes in groups of six. Villages of detached helpless civilians caught in a war between godly creatures and their armies. Innocent creatures bent against their will to do evil's bidding. A shadowy organization orchestrating the events behind the scenes. THOSE are the things you take and build anew.

One of the most FRUSTRATING things about Legend Reborn is it was SO CLOSE to being a perfect reboot. Unwitting champions of the people. Secret evil alliances. Technologically advanced beings suddenly thrust out of their element to survive the unforgiving harshness of nature. Those were the perfect things to take across. Mata Nui SUDDENLY downgraded to the rank of his basest defenders? That was a GREAT IDEA.

But aside from being just unapproachable and dark in comparison to Bionicle : The Early Years, it was tethered to the floundering and quickly draining momentum of the original core storyline. Had it existed ENTIRELY as its own continuity (and written from the point of view as such), I can't help but think it would have done FAR better than the mess it became.

And for the love of all things good, do NOT put your mythos in the hands of someone who openly states that they DESPISE STORY-BOARDING. If you have no interest in figuring out what happens next in the universe you built from scratch, why should your readers?

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 5

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I'm a bit lost as to why a dislike of storyboarding has anything to do with writing a good mythos. Most writers can write a novel without storyboarding. 

Also, who are you talking about?

If you have no interest in figuring out what happens next in the universe you built from scratch, why should your readers?

I agree with this wholeheartedly, though. 

• Upvote 3

I'm a bit lost as to why a dislike of storyboarding has anything to do with writing a good mythos. Most writers can write a novel without storyboarding. 

If you have no interest in figuring out what happens next in the universe you built from scratch, why should your readers?

I have a hard time believing that anyone who writes a story worth its salt doesn't storyboard on some degree. Without an end goal, how are your characters motivated? What steps are they going to take to achieve those goals? What stands in their way? How are their actions going to ripple and affect future stories?

Maybe I'm being too critical and I'm projecting way too many of my own personal feelings, but if you WANT to put those pieces together first and then write everything else around that you are going to wind up with a FAR more cohesive and enjoyable story than if you put everything together on the fly.

Which is what brings me to that last line. If you WANT to get to the next stage of your tale, than chances are it will come off in your writing. Your readers will pick up on it and feed off of the energy.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler Alert

I have a hard time believing that anyone who writes a story worth its salt doesn't storyboard on some degree. Without an end goal, how are your characters motivated? What steps are they going to take to achieve those goals? What stands in their way? How are their actions going to ripple and affect future stories?

Maybe I'm being too critical and I'm projecting way too many of my own personal feelings, but if you WANT to put those pieces together first and then write everything else around that you are going to wind up with a FAR more cohesive and enjoyable story than if you put everything together on the fly.

Which is what brings me to that last line. If you WANT to get to the next stage of your tale, than chances are it will come off in your writing. Your readers will pick up on it and feed off of the energy.

Oh, okay. I thought storyboarding meant drawing out the scenes of your story. You know, when they talk about animated films, they talk about storyboards. 

I'd probably call it more like outlining, or just making a character list with the character's goals written on it. :shrugs: There's nothing wrong with that. 

Although I would argue that sometimes wanting to get to the next stage of your tale is easier when you don't know what it is; WANTing to figure it out is what keeps me going. But I understand that approach doesn't work for every writer - some, as you say "WANT to put those pieces together first and then write everything else around that".  

• Upvote 2

Granted, but shouldn't you also take care to make sure your pieces match the puzzle?

I am going to get super critical here.

At some point, one of two things happened. Greg was told he had to write a bunch of stand-alone yet IN CANON stories using pre-existing and established characters really quickly OR they just gave him free reign to just write whatever he wanted. But because that care wasn't taken to make sure what you have meshes with the rest of the story you've put in place, we got sloppy fan-fiction about Deadpool and Cthulhu that just does not sit right with the rest of the universe.

No one was there to say no to doing THAT to the red star or the terrible sexist implications with the existence of Orde.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 4

Spoiler Alert

Guys, from what I can remember, Greg Farshtey had a hard time planning things ahead. A big reason for this was the fact that sets came first, and story came second every year. IIRC, 2009 was different because it was a movie year, so the story had to be planned out before they could think about the sets.

Also, I agree with what Makaru just said about the serials. They felt really disjointed from the main story, and the yearly storyline could have survived without them. While I think Greg is pretty well suited for the Bionicle story, if he comes back to it, I hope Lego gets somebody to rein him in from time to time. This time around, the story needs focus and linearity.

• Upvote 2

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!

Guys, from what I can remember, Greg Farshtey had a hard time planning things ahead. A big reason for this was the fact that sets came first, and story came second every year. IIRC, 2009 was different because it was a movie year, so the story had to be planned out before they could think about the sets.

Also, I agree with what Makaru just said about the serials. They felt really disjointed from the main story, and the yearly storyline could have survived without them. While I think Greg is pretty well suited for the Bionicle story, if he comes back to it, I hope Lego gets somebody to rein him in from time to time. This time around, the story needs focus and linearity.

Live and learn. I'm sure LEGO will not make the same exact mistakes over again. I can guarantee that. 

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Whether Bionicle comes back or not, what's always kept me around was the story and the universe and the concept. Not the secret of the giant robot (nope nope nope nope noooope), but the... the magic robots on a tropical island fighting evil. The teamwork, and the little people being amazing even without magic powers (whoever said Matoran were helpless is wrong), and the mysteries to be explored. The science fiction slash high fantasy aspects, the GRANDNESS of it all. The remoteness from reality, and thus the depth of the escapism. Gun-lookalikes and trying to make everything have an explanation and such kinda soured the latter half of Bionicle for me, as well as said overexplaining making large enough plot/logic holes to fit the Mata Nui robot through with room to spare.

I think what I'd like the best would be maybe something like Jam Pot's idea of a far-flung-future post-apocalyptic Spherus Magna with the Agori and Matoran living together and all the characters we know being legends at best. Or a reboot that runs off in a different direction, and the reboot is in a different alternate universe-timeline-reality-thing from the original series. (Alternate universes are the best.)

• Upvote 2

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

the terrible sexist implications with the existence of Orde.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what?

Orde is the only male Toa of Psionics, and indeed the only male Matoran/Toa/Turaga of Psionics period. This is because he got angry/frustrated once and accidentally made the Zyglax into the balls of unbridled hatred that they are today, and so the Great Beings made every other Ce-Matoran female because clearly women are so much more gentler and kinder than men.

... That last bit was sarcasm, if you couldn't tell. There is no ironclad difference between the genders, especially not at the personality level; Orde could have made the same mistake if he answered to she/her pronouns instead of he/him, and there is absolutely no guarantee that another Toa of Psionics with a similiar personality later down the line didn't make a mistake like that.

The idea that the genders are essentially different on some level is ridiculous, wrong, and really not a message that needs to be in the storyline of a kid's toyline, even if it was only in a web serial made near the end of that toyline's life. Also, Orde's whole thing and Chiara's response to it (to kill a lizard to make the point of "yeah, because ladies are all so sweet and kind. Not.") are only one of the reasons I, at least, find the web serials... subpar at best.

Aaaaaand, to stay on topic, that kind of stuff is why I really hope Bionicle gets rebooted instead of directly continued if it does return, because the last couple years really went downhill in more ways than convoluted plots. Who was it who said it was partially because GregF had too much free rein with the web serials? Because I agree with that person.

(And for Mata Nui's sake, don't make him a logic-breakingly large robot this time. And let Earth logic play! Earth logic is easy, we understand earth logic. Only suspend our disbelief in major ways, like, once. Twice maybe, if it's clearly connected to the first suspension.)

Edited by Lielac
  • Upvote 4

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Why all the hate for the serials? I just re-read all the 2008 ones and they were great, mostly because it broke away from that whole Karda Nui environment and gave a breath of fresh air. Dark Mirror was amazing, the entire time reading it there was just a thrill going through me. 

I believe that Greg said that the story team already came up with the beginning and the end of the years story, and it's his job to flesh out the middle. If you don't like the serials we can always go like Hero Factory and have the entire year's story in one 30 minute episode. 

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Like stated above, Orde was created as a Toa of Psionics (never a Matoran), and was male. The details of his failed mission are never very clear, but from his point-of-view, his aggression compromised the mission and it was decided by the Great Beings that all Matoran/Toa/Turaga of psionics would be female.

If we assume that Orde is correct and not lying, we can make the following reasonable assumptions:

1. Orde is not being held personally responsible for his actions. His gender, however, is?
  2. According to the great beings, for the Matoran race it is the natural order for men to be aggressive.
  3. Similarly, females of the Matoran race are supposed to be level-headed and kind
  4. The Great Beings assume all Matoran (and Toa, etc) fall into their respective categories with no deviation

But we have a lot of characters that break those pre-destined molds. Onua and Pohatu are not brash and impulsive. Tuyet, however, is not level-headed and kind. Now realize I just named two heroes and one villain, and you can start to see why readers might take exception to that.

I have absolutely NO DOUBT IN MY MIND this is the last thing Greg wanted to say when he wrote Orde. But no one was able to look it over and point it out before it went live for children to read.

Incidentally, this is the kind of thing you should say no to if you want to revive a toy line.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 2

Spoiler Alert

I've been away from the board for a while, and only just heard the rumors yesterday and firmly jumped on the hype train.

If sets return, will I buy them?  I don't know.  That's not what I'm interested in.  The return of BIONICLE, however, would probably mean giving me a reason to return to this board, along with many others.  The revival of the community is what I care most about, and it is that reason primarily that I hold out hope for the rebirth.

Also: just reboot the universe and do a modified 2001 story.  That's my opinion.

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

Since this thread seems to be the place for it, I might as well get this little semi-controversial nugget out now: If Bionicle is going to return, I do not want it lasting as long as it did the first time. While it was impressive that Lego could sustain a story-driven line for so long, it was obvious in later years that it's own scale was bogging it down.

I stopped following Bionicle because I felt that the story was going nowhere with no foreseeable conclusion, and all the extra stuff they were adding on year after year could no longer hold my interest. I'd have far preferred a tighter story about half the length that could preserve the sense of progression and keep a consistent tone throughout. And that's what I'm hoping for in the potential revival. But I'm not setting my hopes too high.

Orde's story is intended to reflect badly on the Great Beings, his in-universe creators, although it does carry a bit of subtext with regard to Lego's line of thinking in deciding which elements should carry which traits. I'm more miffed that we ended up with a male Toa of Psionics in the first place, when it would have been the perfect opportunity to make a Toa team with more than one woman in it. (But no, we wouldn't want to accidentally pass the Bechdel test, now, would we?) Chiara's reaction is also problematic, and makes her come across as a psychotic killer. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a female character who's a psychotic killer, but it's certainly not a good example of a woman who does not conform to gender stereotypes being presented in a positive light.

Essentially, it's a symptom of Bionicle's bigger problem: The one-girl-to-a-team rule. Most of the female characters are still defined very much by their gender, either by being characterised by traditionally female traits (Gali, Nokama), or by their aggressive defiance of the stereotypes (Kiina, Chiara)- most female characters fall into one of the two categories, and we generally only see one female character in any given situation at a time (The serials, to their credit, have made some effort to subvert this on occasion). I'd like too see female characters who are defined by their bravery, their sense of honour, their tactical abilities, their weird sense of humour, heck, even by their cowardice or clumsiness or some other prominent flaw. (It becomes very difficult to portray realistically flawed female characters when you only have one on the team- any flaw she has gets perceived as a negative comment on women in general.)

And I've said this before, but this is one of the biggest things that needs to change should we be given a clean slate and new continuity- get rid of the element= gender rule, and experiment with the gender ratios. Bionicle has plenty of potential to appeal to both genders, but there are some very outdated ideas holding it back from being a huge success.

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Essentially, it's a symptom of Bionicle's bigger problem: The one-girl-to-a-team rule. Most of the female characters are still defined very much by their gender, either by being characterised by traditionally female traits (Gali, Nokama), or by their aggressive defiance of the stereotypes (Kiina, Chiara)- most female characters fall into one of the two categories, and we generally only see one female character in any given situation at a time (The serials, to their credit, have made some effort to subvert this on occasion). I'd like too see female characters who are defined by their bravery, their sense of honour, their tactical abilities, their weird sense of humour, heck, even by their cowardice or clumsiness or some other prominent flaw. (It becomes very difficult to portray realistically flawed female characters when you only have one on the team- any flaw she has gets perceived as a negative comment on women in general.)

And I've said this before, but this is one of the biggest things that needs to change should we be given a clean slate and new continuity- get rid of the element= gender rule, and experiment with the gender ratios. Bionicle has plenty of potential to appeal to both genders, but there are some very outdated ideas holding it back from being a huge success.

Many people who are indifferent to or against recognizing the gender ratio problem say that boys (the target audience) are never going to buy female characters as sets. If those characters are as one dimensional as you described of course they aren't. I would totally dig female characters with some depth; that would be amazing. I'm sure others would too. Korra is popular right? MLP is popular right? It can work.

• Upvote 1

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!

Like stated above, Orde was created as a Toa of Psionics (never a Matoran), and was male. The details of his failed mission are never very clear, but from his point-of-view, his aggression compromised the mission and it was decided by the Great Beings that all Matoran/Toa/Turaga of psionics would be female.

If we assume that Orde is correct and not lying, we can make the following reasonable assumptions:

• Orde is not being held personally responsible for his actions. His gender, however, is?
  • According to the great beings, for the Matoran race it is the natural order for men to be aggressive.
  • Similarly, females of the Matoran race are supposed to be level-headed and kind
  • The Great Beings assume all Matoran (and Toa, etc) fall into their respective categories with no deviation
But we have a lot of characters that break those pre-destined molds. Onua and Pohatu are not brash and impulsive. Tuyet, however, is not level-headed and kind. Now realize I just named two heroes and one villain, and you can start to see why readers might take exception to that.

I have absolutely NO DOUBT IN MY MIND this is the last thing Greg wanted to say when he wrote Orde. But no one was able to look it over and point it out before it went live for children to read.

Incidentally, this is the kind of thing you should say no to if you want to revive a toy line.

I always knew that Orde was the only male of his element, I just never heard the term "sexist" used with it.

Edited by Jakuura

Orde's story is intended to reflect badly on the Great Beings, his in-universe creators, although it does carry a bit of subtext with regard to Lego's line of thinking in deciding which elements should carry which traits. I'm more miffed that we ended up with a male Toa of Psionics in the first place, when it would have been the perfect opportunity to make a Toa team with more than one woman in it. (But no, we wouldn't want to accidentally pass the Bechdel test, now, would we?) Chiara's reaction is also problematic, and makes her come across as a psychotic killer. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a female character who's a psychotic killer, but it's certainly not a good example of a woman who does not conform to gender stereotypes being present

Like, I do believe Orde's story was intended to be a "see, people don't all fit the stereotypes even when the GB's say so" but it didn't come off that way, or really translate the thought all that well in the overall theme of the serial. But with that serial and the history of how the line treated and created female characters... ehhh it was actually pretty hard for me to develop that "benefit of the doubt" for that particular story. (I read it a bit after the initial debacle on it, namely as I was curious and... eh; I'd prolly have to read it again though since it's been so long, no idea where to find the old serials though).

tbh, the alternative you presented (like, having multiple females on one team) would have been a muuuuch better alternative. Especially if Greg (since I think he was writing these on his own at the time?) actually gave the characters some personality, some quirks, some actual depth and dimensions. Rather than poorly writing a reason behind Lego's (I think?) decision to have monogender tribes in the first place... and then botching it pretty hardcore.

As a side note, I really do hope the writer(s) -- whoever they are -- plan ahead at least a little, write some outlines to mesh the world together a bit better and to design characters. Rather than like "let's just mush the template of this previous character's personality over this all new character." 

Edited by Kitania

Orde's story is intended to reflect badly on the Great Beings, his in-universe creators, although it does carry a bit of subtext with regard to Lego's line of thinking in deciding which elements should carry which traits. I'm more miffed that we ended up with a male Toa of Psionics in the first place, when it would have been the perfect opportunity to make a Toa team with more than one woman in it. (But no, we wouldn't want to accidentally pass the Bechdel test, now, would we?) Chiara's reaction is also problematic, and makes her come across as a psychotic killer. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with a female character who's a psychotic killer, but it's certainly not a good example of a woman who does not conform to gender stereotypes being present

Like, I do believe Orde's story was intended to be a "see, people don't all fit the stereotypes even when the GB's say so" but it didn't come off that way, or really translate the thought all that well in the overall theme of the serial. But with that serial and the history of how the line treated and created female characters... ehhh it was actually pretty hard for me to develop that "benefit of the doubt" for that particular story. (I read it a bit after the initial debacle on it, namely as I was curious and... eh; I'd prolly have to read it again though since it's been so long, no idea where to find the old serials though).

tbh, the alternative you presented (like, having multiple females on one team) would have been a muuuuch better alternative. Especially if Greg (since I think he was writing these on his own at the time?) actually gave the characters some personality, some quirks, some actual depth and dimensions. Rather than poorly writing a reason behind Lego's (I think?) decision to have monogender tribes in the first place... and then botching it pretty hardcore.

As a side note, I really do hope the writer(s) -- whoever they are -- plan ahead at least a little, write some outlines to mesh the world together a bit better and to design characters. Rather than like "let's just mush the template of this previous character's personality over this all new character." 

I agree. I understand the line is directed towards boys, but a team with more females would be nice change. Not sure I can see that happening, though.

How long do you think bionicle will last if it does come back? I doubt it will go on for another 10 years.

If it does come back, I think it would just depend on how well the new sets sell. If they sell a lot, then it could go on for a long time. If not, well, Bionicle fans will probably have to say goodbye to it again. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Sorry to keep self advertizing, but the whole gender ratio is another one of those things I've tackled in you-know-what. You only need look below to see three boys and three girls, and the three girls are very different characters.

But anyway, back to the bigger picture picture... I'd find it perfectly understandable if the first line of sets introduced in a new Bionicle line, reboot, whatever was just Tahu and the gang back again for nostalgia's sake.. but the very next time they introduce a NEW team of new characters, I wanna see them mix things up! New elements, more girls, and in combinations you wouldn't necessarily expect. For example, why not a female Toa of Fire? That's something cool I'd love to see.

Heck, it seems like most of the Bionicle fans I know on places like Deviantart are, well, girls. Isn't that interesting?

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

How long do you think bionicle will last if it does come back? I doubt it will go on for another 10 years.

On the list of things I ponder, this is pretty high up. If Bionicle does come back, how long will we get it for? After all, it'll just have to end again.

Though, what if it succeeds so well that Lego decides to keep bringing it back and rebooting it and on and on... FOR ETERNITY!!!

Hypthetically speaking. How would you guys feel about lets say... half the Toa team being large sets and half of them, being medium? Again... purely hypothetical.

Edited by Kingslayer
  • Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Hypthetically speaking. How would you guys feel about lets say... half the Toa team being large sets and half of them, being medium? Again... purely hypothetical.

Depends what you mean by "large" and "medium". Personally, I would not mind one bit if the Toa were divided between $10 and $15 sets. The Brain Attack series in LEGO Hero Factory demonstrated pretty well how you could divide hero sets between $10 and $13 price points without a huge height difference. All you'd have to do is increase the height very slightly and give more armor and gear to the characters in the more expensive sets. So for instance, a $15 Toa of Fire might include a lava surfboard and beefy shoulder armor in addition to his regular armor and weapons.

However, I do not think it would be effective or desirable for a $20 or $25 set to be the default form for any regular Toa. Frankly, one of the things I've loved about Hero Factory since the new building system first appeared is how heroes have mostly hovered around the same 7-inch/18-centimeter height as the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva. I think BIONICLE should keep things that way. You could have an occasional "XL" set, like Takanuva from 2008 or Furno from 2013, but it shouldn't get to the point where that kind of size is considered as typical for a Toa as the smaller, more traditional size.

Hypothetically speaking, I would like to think there's a hypothetically good reason than to just hypothetically put three hypothetical popular characters in a hypothetical Hero Factory XXL scenario.

Hypothetically.

• Upvote 4

Spoiler Alert

Hypothetically speaking, I would like to think there's a hypothetically good reason than to just hypothetically put three hypothetical popular characters in a hypothetical Hero Factory XXL gscenario.

Hypothetically.

Buy in a hypothetical universe that that may or may not happen, you you not believe that this may ruin the cohesive look of a Toa team?

Edited by Kingslayer

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I just want mysticism, mystery, little guys, heroes battling against an evil dude, and a new Island/planet/whatever in this reboot.

EDIT: And a LOT, I mean A LOT of Promotion for this new line.

Edited by HoloTheWise

I just want mysticism, mystery, little guys, heroes battling against an evil dude, and a new Island/planet/whatever in this reboot.

Well if its a reboot, I wouldnt want anything other than the setting to be on Mata Nui. Its part of what made Binicle so special, and while the Metru Nui arc was good for many things, it lacked some sort of magic Mata Nui had.

EDIT: However if it is a continuation, I would love to see a new Villain emerge thats nothing like Makuta. At the moment all that pops into my head is

Felix from Red Vs Blue

Charismatic and funny.  

Edited by Kingslayer

1. Orde is not being held personally responsible for his actions. His gender, however, is?
  2. According to the great beings, for the Matoran race it is the natural order for men to be aggressive.
  3. Similarly, females of the Matoran race are supposed to be level-headed and kind
  4. The Great Beings assume all Matoran (and Toa, etc) fall into their respective categories with no deviation

You are, I think, making over-hasty generalisations here. All we can infer from Orde's tale, it seems to me, is that the Great Beings thought that making all Psionics members of the Matoran species would be the best way to ensure "a gentler touch" was used. We can't say for certain whether or not the Great Beings thought that any of the things you mention were universally the case. Obviously they thought that females were more likely to be gentler than males, but's that's not the same thing as saying "All females are gentler than males."

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Well if its a reboot, I wouldnt want anything other than the setting to be on Mata Nui. Its part of what made Binicle so special, and while the Metru Nui arc was good for many things, it lacked some sort of magic Mata Nui had.

EDIT: However if it is a continuation, I would love to see a new Villain emerge thats nothing like Makuta. At the moment all that pops into my head is

Felix from Red Vs Blue

Charismatic and funny.  

Rebooting the Mata Nui saga would be great for old and new fans, IMO.

But I guess I want a complete new setting.

Felix from Red Vs Blue

Charismatic and funny.  

Rebooting the Mata Nui saga would be great for old and new fans, IMO.

But I guess I want a complete new setting.

Certainly, if the reboot decides to go in a new direction from G1, new islands and locations would be great. I just think 15 should be as similar to 01 as possible.

EDIT: ONLY IF its a reboot. A continuation should have parallels but shouldnt be a copy,

Edited by Kingslayer

Wouldn't a continuation with a time-gap large enough to make the previous 10 years irrelevant be pretty much the same as a reboot though?

You could have a completely new story arc with similar qualities, while still making references to the old one to please old fans without confusing new fans.

Hail Denmark

Wouldn't a continuation with a time-gap large enough to make the previous 10 years irrelevant be pretty much the same as a reboot though?

You could have a completely new story arc with similar qualities, while still making references to the old one to please old fans without confusing new fans.

That would be the idea I like the most. And so we could start as a new begining on the newly reformed Sherus Magna (now named Mata-Nui in honor of it's savior who fell from the sky, just like in the legend hihi).

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

That would be the idea I like the most. And so we could start as a new begining on the newly reformed Sherus Magna (now named Mata-Nui in honor of it's savior who fell from the sky, just like in the legend hihi).

This is what I hope for. If they play it right there is reason why they have to keep going to the G1 story line very often at all. 

You are, I think, making over-hasty generalizations here. All we can infer from Orde's tale, it seems to me, is that the Great Beings thought that making all Psionics members of the Matoran species would be the best way to ensure "a gentler touch" was used. We can't say for certain whether or not the Great Beings thought that any of the things you mention were universally the case. Obviously they thought that females were more likely to be gentler than males, but that's not the same thing as saying "All females are gentler than males."

You make a good point here.

• Upvote 1

If there's going to be a new story, I don't think it'd be a good idea to tell it in a setting from an old story. That might confuse people. The appeal of Mata Nui could be recreated simply by having a new setting that's very reminiscent of the old one, without it actually being the same place.

You are, I think, making over-hasty generalizations here. All we can infer from Orde's tale, it seems to me, is that the Great Beings thought that making all Psionics members of the Matoran species would be the best way to ensure "a gentler touch" was used. We can't say for certain whether or not the Great Beings thought that any of the things you mention were universally the case. Obviously they thought that females were more likely to be gentler than males, but that's not the same thing as saying "All females are gentler than males."

You make a good point here.

What? No he doesn't. Saying "females would be more likely to be gentler than males" is still a sexist thing. It still implies that, on a whole. the GBs thought females were gentler than males. That's how probability works; if one character trait is more likely in one group than the other, then on average more of one group than the other will have that trait. It's the exact same idea, just worded differently.

• Upvote 6

What? No he doesn't. Saying "females would be more likely to be gentler than males" is still a sexist thing. It still implies that, on a whole. the GBs thought females were gentler than males. That's how probability works; if one character trait is more likely in one group than the other, then on average more of one group than the other will have that trait. It's the exact same idea, just worded differently.

Am I the only who thinks you're all getting way to worked up about this?

This place is worse than Tumblr right now...

Edited by doodleloot
  • Upvote 3

Hail Denmark