Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Question: Is there a possibility that the new theme isn't Bionicle but that the leaked pics have the Bionicle logo as a placeholder? That would be disappointing...  -_-

Without saying anything specific, not unless theres another line with beloved bionicle characters

Where is Christian Faber in all of this? He must know the truth. and if Bionicle returns, I hope he is a part of it. Otherwise it's just not Bionicle. If he's not I'm going to move to Rebel Nature! *tam tam taaaaam*

If the leaks speak the truth, and Bionicle is indeed upon us, it'd better be good. I have an irrational fear that this is going to be some kind of Hero Factory 2. Rushed, dumb, and lacking detail. Exactly what happened to Bionicle 2009-2010.

2009-2010 was supposed to have a more complex storyline, with the Baterra, and the element lords, and probably more besides that, but most of the story got cut short by Lego. That's why it felt rushed. 

And yeah, I'd hate it if they simplified the storyline and made it a HF remake. The depth and complexity of the Bionicle storyline was something I really liked about it. But I also hope they change the building system to be less like HF and more like the old Bionicle. I don't want just HF sets with Bionicle masks. 

The storyline could do with minor simplification, not to mention better writing, but for your other concern, the CCBS, the building system used in HF, is here to stay. A set designer said as much. While I would love some new pieces to both evoke a Bionicle aesthetic and possibly make the CCBS more versatile, the system as it is now would likely be unchanged in a Bionicle return.

Where is Christian Faber in all of this? He must know the truth. and if Bionicle returns, I hope he is a part of it. Otherwise it's just not Bionicle. If he's not I'm going to move to Rebel Nature! *tam tam taaaaam*

If the leaks speak the truth, and Bionicle is indeed upon us, it'd better be good. I have an irrational fear that this is going to be some kind of Hero Factory 2. Rushed, dumb, and lacking detail. Exactly what happened to Bionicle 2009-2010.

2009-2010 was supposed to have a more complex storyline, with the Baterra, and the element lords, and probably more besides that, but most of the story got cut short by Lego. That's why it felt rushed. 

And yeah, I'd hate it if they simplified the storyline and made it a HF remake. The depth and complexity of the Bionicle storyline was something I really liked about it. But I also hope they change the building system to be less like HF and more like the old Bionicle. I don't want just HF sets with Bionicle masks. 

See, I still disagree that it's impossible for Bionicle to come back as a continuation. If done right, it could be made to work. It's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy without ever seeing the prequel. It's all about what information is considered important. You don't need to see the prequel to understand the original. It would all depend on what story points they choose to continue, and which ones they choose to condense or drop altogether. It can be done. 

Except the prequels were made after the original story. I understand the point you're trying to make, but the reason you don't need to watch the star wars prequels to understand the original trilogy is there was no plan for a trilogy series to begin with. they would have been in real trouble if they made a set of movies you had to watch movies that wouldnt be released until twenty years later to understand it.

it's not impossible for it to come back as a continuation, no, but if you're making a decision as far as making a line as accessible as possible for a new audience, a reboot is more likely to draw in new fans than a continuation.

That's a fair point, but I think people have already raised the main issues with a reboot in previous posts on this topic. One quick google search would completely ruin all of the surprises. So I think it'll either be a stylised continuation, or a complete rewrite rather than just a rebooted remake. 

I really can't see this being a remake or a reboot. I mean, if the photographic leaks are anything to go by, it really does not seem possible. I realize there are multiple ways that the Lego company could make it a reboot, but it wouldn't make much sense to me. I personally would love to see a continuation, but as many have stated, there's problems with that also. I suppose it's all guesswork for now.

See, I still disagree that it's impossible for Bionicle to come back as a continuation. If done right, it could be made to work. It's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy without ever seeing the prequel. It's all about what information is considered important. You don't need to see the prequel to understand the original. It would all depend on what story points they choose to continue, and which ones they choose to condense or drop altogether. It can be done.

Except the prequels were made after the original story. I understand the point you're trying to make, but the reason you don't need to watch the star wars prequels to understand the original trilogy is there was no plan for a trilogy series to begin with. they would have been in real trouble if they made a set of movies you had to watch movies that wouldnt be released until twenty years later to understand it.

it's not impossible for it to come back as a continuation, no, but if you're making a decision as far as making a line as accessible as possible for a new audience, a reboot is more likely to draw in new fans than a continuation.

That's a fair point, but I think people have already raised the main issues with a reboot in previous posts on this topic. One quick google search would completely ruin all of the surprises. So I think it'll either be a stylised continuation, or a complete rewrite rather than just a rebooted remake.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a straight retelling. If we wanted to watch writers stumble around retelling the bionicle story we've already seen, you've got bonesiii's fanfiction. Rather, it'd be a reboot in the same way that the original Transformers became Transformers Animated, Transformers Prime, or, if you're prone to being pessimistic, the Transformers films. Familiar characters, similar settings, but the story is not obligated to follow the same path it already tread. There'd be absolutely no point to bringing any toyline back if all you ever did with it was tell the same exact story over and over again.

A continuation in the style of Beast Wars could be conceivable, I suppose, but the second you have main characters carried over from the old line, what you've done is make it so people have to follow nine years of previous story to know these characters inside and out.

• Upvote 3

Exactly right. If anything, watching the prequels actually makes the overall series harder to understand due to several contradictions between the two trilogies. For instance, in Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan describes Yoda as "the Jedi master who instructed me", yet Phantom Menace suddenly has the former as the apprentice of a separate Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn. A feeble attempt at fixing this then had to be made in Attack of the Clones, in which Yoda is seen 'teaching younglings', supposedly implying Obi-Wan was taught by him in this manner as a child.

A better example of what NatoGreavesy was getting at would be the James Bond series. The main (good) characters maintain their presence in multiple movies, but for the most part the situations and villains they deal with don't stretch across the entire series - each one is confined to one movie. Put simply, you don't need to know earlier story to understand the latest.

Edited by Sir Kohran

The storyline could do with minor simplification, not to mention better writing, but for your other concern, the CCBS, the building system used in HF, is here to stay. A set designer said as much. While I would love some new pieces to both evoke a Bionicle aesthetic and possibly make the CCBS more versatile, the system as it is now would likely be unchanged in a Bionicle return.

That's pretty good idea. Bionicle had all these hipster design pieces that made each year have it's own odd feel. If they did the same with hero factory pieces to make them look less (((LEGO!))), it would help. It might even sprinkle some creativity on those dull storyteams [/wishful thinking]

• Upvote 2

banner1.png

I understand they'll likely be keeping the same building system, what I meant is if they could make some new armour pieces and stuff reminiscent of the original Bionicle. HF has been getting progressively shoddier these past few years; they keep reusing the same parts without making much that's new. Bionicle had a certain... flair, I guess, especially leading up to 2009, where all of characters were very unique with their own personalised body shape, armour, etc. HF basically uses the same body for everything, as far as I know (I gave in to despair and stopped buying the sets, so I can't be certain). 

In a revived Bionicle, I'd like to see some of the classic projectile weapons brought back: midak skyblasters, nyrah ghostblasters, thornax launchers and all the other fun stuff. More vehicles and mounts like we encountered on Karda Nui and Bara Magna would be nice to see as well.

I've also found that they tend to cut corners with the HF sets, making the limbs shorter then covering then up with bulky armour, reducing the  maneuverability of the sets. Yes, it's more versatile, but it has a far reduced range of motion. Bionicles had longer, lankier limbs, which made them a lot more maneuverable and pose-able. HF sets are built like armoured robot tanks, which fits with their storyline, but that's not what Bionicle was like, so something needs to change if they want it to be reminiscent of the original.  

If they're going to bring back Bionicle,they need to bring back what made it great to begin with. 

Rant Over.

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 4

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I'd also like to see some of the classic projectile weapons brought back: midak skyblasters, nyrah ghostblasters, thornax launchers and all the other fun stuff. More vehicles and mounts like we encountered on Karda Nui and Bara Magna would be nice to see as well. If they're going to bring back Bionicle,they need to bring back what made it great to begin with.

None of that is what made it great to begin with, though; vehicles didn't appear until 2002 with the boxor, mounts until 2004 with Toa Lhikan and the Kikanalo, and none of the launchers you mentioned pre-date 2008. What made it great is subjective, of course, but I should think such a thing would have been present from the beginning. The Midak Skyblaster especially I can't understand the nostalgia for; it was a big hunk of plastic practically half a foot long that could hardly be used for anything besides terrorizing children.

• Upvote 2

I'd also like to see some of the classic projectile weapons brought back: midak skyblasters, nyrah ghostblasters, thornax launchers and all the other fun stuff. More vehicles and mounts like we encountered on Karda Nui and Bara Magna would be nice to see as well. If they're going to bring back Bionicle,they need to bring back what made it great to begin with.

None of that is what made it great to begin with, though; vehicles didn't appear until 2002 with the boxor, mounts until 2004 with Toa Lhikan and the Kikanalo, and none of the launchers you mentioned pre-date 2008. What made it great is subjective, of course, but I should think such a thing would have been present from the beginning. The Midak Skyblaster especially I can't understand the nostalgia for; it was a big hunk of plastic practically half a foot long that could hardly be used for anything besides terrorizing children.

Just 'coz some stuff came later than 01 doesn't mean it's not what made BIONICLE great to some people. The Boxor was one of my first sets, and the Kikanalo set was (and still is) one of my favourites, so arguably for me they are part of what made BIONICLE sets great.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

The Midak skyblaster was three inches long and shot further and with greater accurately than any projectile weapon appearing in a constraction set before or since. I never really used them for terrorizing children, and though there might have been some accidents involving them in, I don't think that I was the only one who didn't.

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Just 'coz some stuff came later than 01 doesn't mean it's not what made BIONICLE great to some people. The Boxor was one of my first sets, and the Kikanalo set was (and still is) one of my favourites, so arguably for me they are part of what made BIONICLE sets great.

Agreed. I personally got into the line in 2002, and the Boxor/Exotoa were what hooked me (the latter being a mountable vehicle with a gun, so covering all the bases!). I imagine this is early enough to be considered part of the appeal of the line. Just because it didn't happen in 2001, doesn't mean it wasn't an important part of Bionicle's success.

When Bionicle returns, I'd honestly like to see them try some new ideas. There's pretty much endless potential with the system, perhaps they could try 'combiners' (not just as rebuilds like Kaita, but more like Bruticus or Devastator from Transformers). I'd be disappointed if we just get basic canisters with some basic Titans without much innovation.

Edited by Airoski

Sorry, I should have put in a paragraph spacing between those two ideas. I would like to see some of the guns come back, but the bringing back what made it great was meant to be separate idea.

I'm not entirely certain what it was that made Bionicle great, to be honest. It just had a certain unique flair to it that is distinctly lacking in HF, and I'd like to see that come back. It was discernable in the sets, the story and, well ,everything about Bionicle really, and I'd like to see that make a return. I don't want the new Bionicle to look and feel exactly like HF with Bionicle masks. 

I realise I'm rambling here and probably not making a whole lot of sense, but... meh, whatever. 

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

What made Bionicle so great (for me) in it's early years was the mythical and mysterious feeling. You didn't know a lot about the past of the island or it's inhabitants, and the few things you did know were mere tales. It also had this sense of exploration, wich was established with media like the Mata Nui Online Game. You just really enjoyed exploring the island and spending time in that universe.

I think it's possible for a new Bionicle to have a similar mood, especially if it was to return to Spherus Magna. The planet just offers a lot of locations that have not been seen before, or even entirely new ones we haven't even heard of.

• Upvote 1

Hail Denmark

I think one should be able to follow the new story without having to read the old stories, but the option is there. i.e. We know that Mata Nui was awakened and defeated the Makuta of Metru Nui (me no likey Teridax), and just leave it at that. But, if one was interested they could read some of the older stuff to see the whole story of Mata Nui's awakening/Makuta's defeat.

Star Wars brings another example of this. We knew that Darth Vader was a Jedi who turned to the Dark Side in the original trilogy, and they just left at that. But (now) if one is interested they can watch the prequels to see the whole story of Anakin's turn to the Dark Side/the rise of the Empire.

@Airoski That combiner idea is genius! I know of someone on a "certain website" (IDK if the restrictions on "broadcast yourself" have changed) who makes Transformers out of Bionicle/HF pieces. He made a really good one with the Brain Attack summer sets, and a while back made one with all the Rahkshi (Stars included). So it can be done.

sig.jpg

With each year of Bionicle, we were presented with a new wave of antagonists, while keeping some (if not all), of the heroes, and it was all part of the overall storyline. HF was always a bit too simplistic for me. It felt like a bit of an insult to Bionicle's legacy. Where Bionicle had a brilliant, complex, intriguing story, HF was as simplistic as a lot of other Lego themes. It lacked what made its predecessor great.

I want the return of Bionicle to still have the same feel as the original, the depth, the mystery, heroes who I could sympathise with, villains who were actually EVIL, not just for the sake of fulfilling a role, but because they had genuine wants and needs. Bionicle created this whole other alternate universe that I could understand and enjoy being part of. I'd prefer a continuation from where the original left off, but anything that keeps those same characters, and that same sense of belonging for me would be welcome. 

And yes, this is ten-year-old-Bionicle-fan-boy me talking here... He's an old friend of mine who I have missed dearly.

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

What made Bionicle so great (for me) in it's early years was the mythical and mysterious feeling. You didn't know a lot about the past of the island or it's inhabitants, and the few things you did know were mere tales. It also had this sense of exploration, wich was established with media like the Mata Nui Online Game. You just really enjoyed exploring the island and spending time in that universe.

I think it's possible for a new Bionicle to have a similar mood, especially if it was to return to Spherus Magna. The planet just offers a lot of locations that have not been seen before, or even entirely new ones we haven't even heard of.

Story-wise my prefered way of doing it would be to set it either far into the past or into the future from the current canon. By that time the convuluted factions and canon would have dissolved into mystery for the planet's inhabitants. Though that may be my blantant nostalgia bias for the 'mysterious' early days talking.

I think one should be able to follow the new story without having to read the old stories, but the option is there. i.e. We know that Mata Nui was awakened and defeated the Makuta of Metru Nui (me no likey Teridax), and just leave it at that. But, if one was interested they could read some of the older stuff to see the whole story of Mata Nui's awakening/Makuta's defeat.

Star Wars brings another example of this. We knew that Darth Vader was a Jedi who turned to the Dark Side in the original trilogy, and they just left at that. But (now) if one is interested they can watch the prequels to see the whole story of Anakin's turn to the Dark Side/the rise of the Empire.

@Airoski That combiner idea is genius! I know of someone on a "certain website" (IDK if the restrictions on "broadcast yourself" have changed) who makes Transformers out of Bionicle/HF pieces. He made a really good one with the Brain Attack summer sets, and a while back made one with all the Rahkshi (Stars included). So it can be done.

Just spent a while searching for said MOCs, is this the guy? https://www.youtube.com/user/DrScorpionX/ His stuff is awsome.

No idea what the rules on YouTube are, I've been off-site for too long, can't find anything on the reference desk. YouTube's moderation has come a long way in almost a decade, so I doubt that rule's presently enforced.

Edited by Airoski

Story-wise my prefered way of doing it would be to set it either far into the past or into the future from the current canon. By that time the convuluted factions and canon would have dissolved into mystery for the planet's inhabitants. Though that may be my blantant nostalgia bias for the 'mysterious' early days talking.

Just spent a while searching for said MOCs, is this the guy? https://www.youtube.com/user/DrScorpionX/ His stuff is awsome.

No idea what the rules on YouTube are, I've been off-site for too long, can't find anything on the reference desk. YouTube's moderation has come a long way in almost a decade, so I doubt that rule's presently enforced.

Yes, that's who I was talking about.

sig.jpg

I think that it would be best to give the background to newcomers as

"Mata Nui was built to re-build planet. Robots inside him fight either to conrtol or save him. Baddies win, but he finds friends on planet. Planet people help him win and re-build planet."

And any additional details would be up to the reader. But the only NEED-TO-KNOW stuff will be the above passage. Along with important characters.

Setting wise, immediately after the end of the previous run would be great. The plot lines don't really need extensive background information.

The Yesterday Quest:

"Find dudes who built Mata Nui"

The Powers That Be:

"Oh noes we are trapped in revival machine+oh noes evil great being Velika"

So yeah.

Ya i loved the feel of 2001-2003 the mystery, the focus on smaller charachters, not everything being combat oriented. i found that was kind of lost after 2003. Not saying the rest of bionicle was bad, just 2001-2003 was the best. I hope they give it  a feeling like that for 2015.

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I understand they'll likely be keeping the same building system, what I meant is if they could make some new armour pieces and stuff reminiscent of the original Bionicle. HF has been getting progressively shoddier these past few years; they keep reusing the same parts without making much that's new. Bionicle had a certain... flair, I guess, especially leading up to 2009, where all of characters were very unique with their own personalised body shape, armour, etc. HF basically uses the same body for everything, as far as I know (I gave in to despair and stopped buying the sets, so I can't be certain).

Hero Factory does use a lot of the same parts for all its characters, but this is not the same as the sets having the same build. In the Breakout series, there were a lot of villain sets with diverse builds including Toxic Reapa, Jawblade, Thornraxx, and XT4. This year's Invasion from Below series also has all sorts of variety in the design of its battle machines. This is one thing I love about the building system: it doesn't need to introduce a lot of specialized armor parts to make its sets look unique. Instead, the parts allow designers and MOCists plenty of freedom to change the builds themselves. For a building toy, I consider that kind of solution a lot more creative.

I can definitely agree that 2009 was a pretty good year for BIONICLE design. But I think that was partly because it was starting to adopt a similar design sensibility to Hero Factory. It did introduce a lot of specialized new armor pieces just to "freshen up" the Glatorian designs, like Strakk's icy shoulders, Stronius's stone armor, and Vastus's snake armor (parts which are sadly extremely limited in their versatility — it doesn't surprise me one bit that they were never used again after their original sets). I'm glad we've moved past THAT aspect of BIONICLE set designs. But it also went to great lengths to use existing armor pieces in creative ways, and as a result we got some pretty awesome designs like the torso constructions for Strakk and Kiina, or Gresh's shoulder spikes.

In a revived Bionicle, I'd like to see some of the classic projectile weapons brought back: midak skyblasters, nyrah ghostblasters, thornax launchers and all the other fun stuff. More vehicles and mounts like we encountered on Karda Nui and Bara Magna would be nice to see as well.

I don't think any of the classic projectile launchers will be coming back besides ones that are still in production in some form: the redesigned Thornax Launcher used in many Hero Factory sets, and the Zamor Launcher which is still used in Mindstorms and some Chima constraction sets. However, we might see NEW launchers that echo the functions of older ones in a newer and more refined form.

This set coming out next year has a new rotating rapid-fire launcher much like the Cordak Blaster, but it's much more compact, only taking up a roughly 3x3x2 space (basically, like what you'd get if you chopped off just the barrel of the Cordak Blaster but it was still able to function). The smaller size of this launcher means that it could be incorporated into models in more creative ways besides just being a single-piece handheld weapon, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it showed up in next year's BIONICLE set (the same way the click shooter from this and other sets this year is appearing in all of this summer's new Hero Factory sets).

I wouldn't complain one bit about seeing more vehicles and creatures, though maybe not so much of that right away. Better to introduce the central characters and setting first, I think.

I've also found that they tend to cut corners with the HF sets, making the limbs shorter then covering then up with bulky armour, reducing the  maneuverability of the sets. Yes, it's more versatile, but it has a far reduced range of motion. Bionicles had longer, lankier limbs, which made them a lot more maneuverable and pose-able. HF sets are built like armoured robot tanks, which fits with their storyline, but that's not what Bionicle was like, so something needs to change if they want it to be reminiscent of the original.

I don't exactly understand this line of reasoning. Most Hero Factory heroes have roughly the same proportions as a Toa Mata or Toa Nuva, but with the articulation of a Toa Inika or Glatorian. I hardly see how that's a bad thing. Now, you're right that Hero Factory armor can be much beefier than BIONICLE armor in many cases. Hero Factory heroes do not generally have the bony thighs that characterized the Toa Mata and Toa Nuva. But I hardly think that's a bad thing as far as proportions are concerned. And it hardly qualifies as "cutting corners" to release a figure like Evo or Surge who has roughly the same proportions and piece count as an average Toa Mata for roughly the same price (factoring for inflation, of course).

Edited by Aanchir

I am so happy that a possibility is now there. I cannot pretend that I'm just as interested in Bionicle as I once was, but I also can't pretend that my inner child did not just jump out of me in excitement. If it does come back, I don't care if I'm laughed at by all my friends, I'm buying a new Bionicle set. No I'm buying them all. I would be completely fine with a retelling of the story completely as I'm not as interested anymore and it would just be a huge nostalgia trip for me, I'd even be okay with the sets exactlly the same. I would prefer different looking sets with minor changes to the story, but still keep the whole Makuta things intact. I honestly expect a retelling of the story with slight altercations such as getting rid of the complicated alternate dimension stuff, same characters with slightly different titan and matoran sets (pre pit Karzahni stuff like this) but with different designs with slight nods to the original designs. It would probably pain me to see characters such as Takanuva and Jaller completely removed so I hope they go this route. Regardless, I would be happy with anything as it is Bionicle and will allow me to remember and celebrate my childhood once again.

Bionicle for 2015.

He could mean a generic issue 1 for a new theme, but this seems very specific, considering 2007/8 in the question are clearly referring to BIONICLE.  I wouldn't read too much into this, though, as it may just be a slip of the tongue, though it may equally be him accidentally letting slip about The Return.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

A. Greg thinks everyone knows Bionicle is coming back

B. He isn't referring to Bionicle

C. Bionicle isn't coming back, and everyone knows that but Greg.  (and us)

D. There is no D, I just like the letter D, so I tacked this on.

~W.12.~

• Upvote 4

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

A. Greg thinks everyone knows Bionicle is coming back

B. He isn't referring to Bionicle

C. Bionicle isn't coming back, and everyone knows that but Greg.  (and us)

D. There is no D, I just like the letter D, so I tacked this on.

~W.12.~

There's no way Greg wouldn't know what products are coming out in 2015. He needs to know that for his job (which includes not just writing books and comics but also working on magazines, catalogs, and online features). He's confirmed in response to previous questions that he knows all the themes for 2015.

There's the possibility that he isn't referring to BIONICLE, of course. Or there's the possibility that he's referring to BIONICLE by mistake, because even if he knows about the leaks he also knows he's not allowed to discuss future sets.

i don't think bionicle is coming back. they may return the storyline but...not the sets. i think bionicle is did all it could. lego said this will be new series similar to bionicle but not a bionicle.

I highly doubt that would happen. Why would they bring back the story, but not the sets? The sets are what bring the revenue.

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 6
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

By "issue" he probably means "issue of the magazine", considering the comics and magazine were released concurrently, and would therefore be put together at around the same time.

Just seems like Greg is saying the usual "we work on things ahead of time" because that's how publications and story writing work.

That's how it reads to me.  I admit I'm not certain if Ninjago/HF/Chima/whatever Greg's working on at the moment have actively running comics, but it seems pretty clear he means "we're working on the first 2015 comic" in general, not specifically "we're working on the first 2015 Bionicle comic."

Of the many ways a Bionicle return could be confirmed, I don't think it'd be in an off-hand comment about how the writing process at LEGO works.

• Upvote 2

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

There is indeed a new constraction theme being launched in 2014. My channel, TTV, released a video regarding the subject where we broke down multiple different possibilities for said theme, and we ended up highly ruling out the likelihood of it being BIONICLE. I suppose anything's possible, but for now, it's looking much more like a new IP.

-Mesonak

This is pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Greg's comment might just be referring to mini comics for the LEGO Magazine for 2015 (which he's an editor of)...but then it doesn't really make sense to say "Issue 1", so I dunno. It's worth noting that beforehand, he was asked about handling the story and said he had not been contacted nor heard of anyone doing it. Sounds like a confirmation that nothing is happening, but on the other hand, he got the job for writing Bionicle in the first place because they hadn't decided on any writer until the last minute and he was the only one that had written up a script for it.

I'm assuming they're either doing some comics for Ninjago (maybe a more public push for it for the movie that's being made) or whatever the new constraction line for 2015 is (Bionicle or not). That would probably be why they refer to it as Issue 1. Alternatively, this could be a rebranding for the LEGO Magazine, with a new Issue 1. It's been a long while since it changed from Lego Maniac Maganzine...

There is indeed a new constraction theme being launched in 2014. My channel, TTV, released a video regarding the subject where we broke down multiple different possibilities for said theme, and we ended up highly ruling out the likelihood of it being BIONICLE. I suppose anything's possible, but for now, it's looking much more like a new IP.

-Mesonak

Greg's comment might just be referring to mini comics for the LEGO Magazine for 2015 (which he's an editor of)...but then it doesn't really make sense to say "Issue 1", so I dunno. It's worth noting that beforehand, he was asked about handling the story and said he had not been contacted nor heard of anyone doing it. Sounds like a confirmation that nothing is happening, but on the other hand, he got the job for writing Bionicle in the first place because they hadn't decided on any writer until the last minute and he was the only one that had written up a script for it.

I'm assuming they're either doing some comics for Ninjago (maybe a more public push for it for the movie that's being made) or whatever the new constraction line for 2015 is (Bionicle or not). That would probably be why they refer to it as Issue 1. Alternatively, this could be a rebranding for the LEGO Magazine, with a new Issue 1. It's been a long while since it changed from Lego Maniac Maganzine...

Or he could just mean Issue 1 of 2015, as in the first issue of the year.

-Mesonak

Or he could just mean Issue 1 of 2015, as in the first issue of the year.

Very possibly, but generally people tend to refer to things like that as "the first issue of 2015", not nessesarily "Issue 1". Issue 1 generally implies something new, and when you've been editing something for that long, chances are you just have it in your head that it's been going on for a while.

But hey, maybe you're right and it is just a slip of the tongue. Still possible.

• Upvote 1

Just read something on the Lego forum where a guy said he recognised some new parts on the leaked images because they'd just been revealed on some of next year's sets at Comic Con, meaning the leaked images can't just be MOCs, because no one had access to the new parts. 

Makes you wonder, doesn't it...

• Upvote 2

Not really.  If the images were faked, they most likely took something existing and stuck the word Bionicle on it.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Not really.  If the images were faked, they most likely took something existing and stuck the word Bionicle on it.

Which would be completely idiotic, because if they had actual legitimate leaked images of a new constraction theme there'd be no point editing them like that. As a new theme it'd generate no shortage of hype on its own.

I think BIONICLE's return is basically guaranteed by now. It's astonishing the logical leaps some people are making just to avoid getting their hopes up.

• Upvote 6

Which would be completely idiotic, because if they had actual legitimate leaked images of a new constraction theme there'd be no point editing them like that. As a new theme it'd generate no shortage of hype on its own.

I think BIONICLE's return is basically guaranteed by now. It's astonishing the logical leaps some people are making just to avoid getting their hopes up.

The only thing that mkes me hesitent, is the fact that they used the old logo. Although it could just be a placeholder until they develop a new one, it would seem like they would create a new logo.

Bionicle for 2015.

I know what you mean.  

The only thing that mkes me hesitent, is the fact that they used the old logo. Although it could just be a placeholder until they develop a new one, it would seem like they would create a new logo.

Or perhaps they're keeping the old logo to bring in the old fans?

• Upvote 1

logical leaps.  Heh heh heh.  I find that funny somehow.

Let's assume that Bionicle is not coming back for the moment.  (I hate saying those words)  Whoever got their hands on the leaked image wanted to fool people, not reveal anything true.  So they picked a popular theme, Bionicle, and made the leaked picture say that.

And I'll now say I think Bionicle is going to return, because I'm tired of being the rain on this parade.  Seems every post I make, I try to deny the evidence somehow.

Bionicle 2015 is coming.....

~W.12.~

I know what you mean.  

Or perhaps they're keeping the old logo to bring in the old fans?

This could be a possibility, but it just seems like they would slightly alter the logo.

Bionicle for 2015.

logical leaps.  Heh heh heh.  I find that funny somehow.

Let's assume that Bionicle is not coming back for the moment.  (I hate saying those words)  Whoever got their hands on the leaked image wanted to fool people, not reveal anything true.  So they picked a popular theme, Bionicle, and made the leaked picture say that.

And I'll now say I think Bionicle is going to return, because I'm tired of being the rain on this parade.  Seems every post I make, I try to deny the evidence somehow.

Bionicle 2015 is coming.....

~W.12.~

As someone who consistently takes the time to fool people with fake leaked images, covering up legitimate leaked images is a terrible way to go about it. If you're trying to fake a leak, why show people something that is actually leaked? What's the point? Why the effort? That's never been a thing fake leakers do. I personally cobble leaks together myself, usually with no actual intention to fool people (I was part of the work behind the "Gnuklear leak"), but even still, I cannot think of a single fake leak that was ever done using a legitimate one. That's counterintuitive to the whole purpose of fake leaks.

• Upvote 3