Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

I've never been a big fan of TV shows. Usually the scripting and dialogue is terrible, and the concept is campy. 

Plus, whenever I've seen Bionicle portrayed in a movie, all of the Matoran sound like children. That really bugs me, since most of them are several thousands of years old. 

To be fair, the quality of a show has a lot to do with its production team. And Sturgoen's Law applies to every type of media. Most items in any form of media tend to be bad, but that doesn't discount the stuff that is good.

I also wouldn't describe the voices of Matoran in the movies as childlike. Young, certainly, but they still sounded like adults to me.

Edited by J46 Nui
  • Upvote 2

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I've never been a big fan of TV shows. Usually the scripting and dialogue is terrible, and the concept is campy. 

Plus, whenever I've seen Bionicle portrayed in a movie, all of the Matoran sound like children. That really bugs me, since most of them are several thousands of years old.

Would you rather they sounded like wheezy old men?

Frankly, when you're dealing with non-human characters, the human voices you give them depend less on their physical characteristics and age, and more on their characterization. And from the beginning the Matoran had a more childlike appearance and role in the story than the Toa or Turaga — just look at Challenge of the Rahi. The Matoran are smaller and weaker than the Toa (as children are to adults), and less wise or experienced than the Turaga (as children are to the elderly), but they are still energetic, creative, and spirited. So the voices they had in the story (youthful, but portrayed by adult voice actors of the correct genders) seemed perfectly appropriate to me.

Another thing to note: Jaller's voice actor is the same as Shining Armor's voice actor from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Shining Armor, if you're not familiar with the character, is an adult stallion of marriageable age. But his voice is still more high-pitched than many other stallion characters such as Big McIntosh, Prince Blueblood, or Fancy Pants. Fancy Pants, to his credit, is portrayed by Trevor Devall, who you might know as Pohatu Nuva from BIONICLE: Mask of Light or Toa Nuju from BIONICLE 2: Legends of Metru Nui. A lot of voice actors worked on both the first three BIONICLE movies and MLP:FiM because the two projects used the same casting agency.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I've never been a big fan of TV shows. Usually the scripting and dialogue is terrible, and the concept is campy. Plus, whenever I've seen Bionicle portrayed in a movie, all of the Matoran sound like children. That really bugs me, since most of them are several thousands of years old.

Would you rather they sounded like wheezy old men?Frankly, when you're dealing with non-human characters, the human voices you give them depend less on their physical characteristics and age, and more on their characterization. And from the beginning the Matoran had a more childlike appearance and role in the story than the Toa or Turaga — just look at Challenge of the Rahi. The Matoran are smaller and weaker than the Toa (as children are to adults), and less wise or experienced than the Turaga (as children are to the elderly), but they are still energetic, creative, and spirited. So the voices they had in the story (youthful, but portrayed by adult voice actors of the correct genders) seemed perfectly appropriate to me.Another thing to note: Jaller's voice actor is the same as Shining Armor's voice actor from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Shining Armor, if you're not familiar with the character, is an adult stallion of marriageable age. But his voice is still more high-pitched than many other stallion characters such as Big McIntosh, Prince Blueblood, or Fancy Pants. Fancy Pants, to his credit, is portrayed by Trevor Devall, who you might know as Pohatu Nuva from BIONICLE: Mask of Light or Toa Nuju from BIONICLE 2: Legends of Metru Nui. A lot of voice actors worked on both the first three BIONICLE movies and MLP:FiM because the two projects used the same casting agency.
:lol-sign: That opening sentence provided me with hilarious images...

Jaller is Shining Armor?!

#MLP/BionicleCrossover2015

Edited by Jakura Nuva

I agree with all of the points made. It wasn't the voices that really bothered me with any of the Bionicle movies, it was the way the characters and storyline was portrayed (especially in the case of The Legend Reborn). The films tended to portray the people and events in ways that were completely unlike how they were in the rest of the Bionicle media, which I personally found incredibly annoying.

Consistency is a big part of the Bionicle story, and that was lacking a lot in Bionicle's lifetime, with the comics, films, serials and books all saying different things, it was very difficult to tell what was officially canon and what wasn't. For example, according to Greg in one of the encyclopedias, some of the events that occur in Hapka's earlier Bionicle books aren't canon. 

It gets very confusing overall, so I hope that whatever sort of media Bionicle 2015 chooses to make use of, the story continues to be consistent them.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I agree with all of the points made. It wasn't the voices that really bothered me with any of the Bionicle movies...

Weeeeellll, when you consider Lewa's voice...

I thought Lewa's voice was awesome. And as far as characterization was concerned, the only character in the movies who stood out to me as inconsistent with their previous portrayals was Onua, who went from "quiet and wise" to "loud and boisterous".
  • Upvote 3

I agree with all of the points made. It wasn't the voices that really bothered me with any of the Bionicle movies...

Weeeeellll, when you consider Lewa's voice...

I thought Lewa's voice was awesome. And as far as characterization was concerned, the only character in the movies who stood out to me as inconsistent with their previous portrayals was Onua, who went from "quiet and wise" to "loud and boisterous".

I respect your opinion, but I thought it wasn't right for Lewa. Lewa was always portrayed in the other media as impulsive, fun-loving, and carefree. But the movie turned him into a "tree-hugger" of sorts.

I agree with you on Onua, though. Lewa's "new" personality was better than his.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Oh my God, you just ruined the BIONICLE movies for me, Aanchir.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Jaller is Shining Armor?!

#MLP/BionicleCrossover2015

Also, Matau/Onewa are Filthy Rich, Mr. Cake, Ahuizotl (spelling right first try!) and a bunch of others.

Anyways, the youth voices... I liked that they were made to be younger. It fits them, and if they were in a TV, it would be nice for them to stay like that. (Although the Agori would overall not be nearly as boisterous probably. Seeing as thrones we have heard so far (except Berix... I hate his voice) are all calmer and deeper-voiced it seems. (Don't talk about the tan agori guys. DON'T.))

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Okay, so for those of you who don't know, Greg has dropped a massive bombshell on the Bionicle Community today, which has already spawned its own discussion topic here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14307-velikas-bara-magna-agents/. What I'm wondering is if these revelations and others Greg has given us over the years are going to play any part in Bionicle's return? 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Also, in case you can't see there, Tahu's shield is actually attached to his arm like Rocka had in 2012.  :)

Regarding the discussion about possible collectible Matoran sets with only around 25 or so pieces, to give them variety so that you don't get the exact same model something stupid like 5 times in a row, the Matoran could firstly have more possible masks than colours of Matoran (I believe Aanchir already said this), so that if for example, there were six possible masks, then you could have at least six Matoran from the same village, each with a different mask. Secondly, Matoran could also have slightly differing limb sizes, where some Matoran could use the smallest CCBS limb pieces (The ones where the ball socket is right next to the actual ball), and some could use the second smallest. (The ones with an axle between  the socket and the ball) I've started work on all of the possible builds in LDD, but it's a big task, so I'll post them here when they're done.

• Upvote 4

VBWj75sh.png

CHOO CHOO.

To be honest I've avoided this topic, not sure why. I guess it's just there's so much debate about what could happen when it's all fruitless and all we can do is wait for 2015.

I hope there are small impulse sets like matoran and masks/disks you can collect. I remember LEGO once planned on making sort of LEGO "vending machines" where you could buy a small set with a little amount of money. (It would just totally suck though if your set would get stuck and doesn't fall...)

I'm wondering what the scale is. Bionicle in its past has been pretty incoherent in proportions between different models (just look at the inika and the voya nui matoran...) and the toa seem pretty big. If these "guardian" sets are matoran, then it might be fine, but you never know.

Plus, by the looks of it the "guardian" sets all have the same masks/helmets and I really want all the matoran to be at least a little different.

I just hope Bionicle 2015 will be good, and I mean like, really, really good.

• Upvote 1

And fingers crossed, this is only the winter wave! Hype to the max!!!

(Bear in mind that I've just watched the first episode of Doctor Who Series 8, and there are Daleks in it next time! So I am SUPER excited!)

Edit: Leaked content annihilated.

-Wind-

Sorry.  :headbonk:

Edited by Makuta Miras

VBWj75sh.png

I was fooling around in LDD again tweaking my Omega Tahu but decided to leave it be for now until I could address the chest, and made a Turaga Tahu that is admittedly not very good and then I decided to make my interpretation of what a CCBS Matoran would look like. I was just gonna give it a single tool but then decided to make it a Ta-Metru Maskmaker so I gave it two tools (Maskmaker hammer and Maskmaker torch), then I saw an awesome spot in his back for putting tools so I made a second of the hammer and put it in his back. For the mask I flipped Furno XL's helmet. Maybe it can be a Noble Pakari? XD

Ta_Matoran_Maskmaker.png

Ta_Matoran_Maskmaker_2.png

• Upvote 1

Greg just said that Lego doesn't want him to finish the serials, even though he now has time.  This kinda implies B2016 won't be a continuation.

~W.12.~

Bionicle 2016 is coming....

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

In any case, that video has a leaked image in it, so you shouldn't be posting it here regardless of what it says.

The source who gave a release date has apparently been a reliable source in the past, but at the same time they're not an official source, so that info would technically be considered leaked if it turns out to be true. And even if it is true, it's no guarantee that the release date they mentioned will be the release date worldwide. Don't forget how the first wave of Hero Factory sets this year was released at different times in different parts of the world (January in some countries, March in North America). This is not at all an uncommon occurrence, and it's not always the U.S. that gets sets later than other countries.

"You wake one, you wake them all..."

Now that one source has spoken up about an unofficial release date, I wouldn't be too surprised if more sources start leaking info as well over the next few days. Perhaps we'll get some more pics, or story details or something? Fingers crossed.

The Hype Train has gone HYPERNOVA!!!

• Upvote 2

"You wake one, you wake them all..."

Now that one source has spoken up about an unofficial release date, I wouldn't be too surprised if more sources start leaking info as well over the next few days. Perhaps we'll get some more pics, or story details or something? Fingers crossed.

The Hype Train has gone HYPERNOVA!!!

Note that he is regarded as a very reputable source.

I hope more stuff does start showing up. That would help boost conversation. (We are good with indirectly talking of secret stuff.)

• Upvote 3

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

Greg just said that Lego doesn't want him to finish the serials, even though he now has time.  This kinda implies B2016 won't be a continuation.

~W.12.~

2016? we haven't even finished 2014 yet. Let's wait for 2015 before jumping to conclusions about 2016, shall we?

Since the idea of CCBS Matoran sets has come up again, I'd like to share some more of the Blind Pack Matoran designs I've been working on in my spare time. 

On the left we have a design I loosely based on Tarduk. In the middle is another rendering of my original idea, using the smallest piece types, which is what I imagine Lego would do if they were to make blind pack style sets. The one on the end uses the exact same design as the middle one, but makes use of larger armour plates to give better coverage (It does, admittedly, look like a miniature version of Bulk, but... meh). All of them are under 25 pieces, so weapons or collectible masks, etc, can still be added to the piece count. 
Edited by NatoGreavesy

~W.12.~

Not necessarily, if they do a timeskip and more or less completely cut off the new story from the old, then they could abandon the serials without really damaging anything.
  • Upvote 2
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

~W.12.~

You mean Bionicle 2015. Coming back next year. We wouldn't get leaks until this time next year if it was returning in 2016.

Alright, I've finished working out the possibilities of different CCBS collectible Matoran designs, and I have come up with a grand total of...

16 different skeletons! If there were six possible Kanohi, then the total number of Matoran from one Koro that you could get would be...

96! From only ONE Koro! And if there were six different Koros, then the total number of different Matoran you could get would be... *Fetches calculator*

576 different Matoran! That's enough for the whole of Mata Nui! So I believe that if Lego do intend to release blind bag sets, then tiny Matoran are the way to go.

• Upvote 4

VBWj75sh.png

Alright, I've finished working out the possibilities of different CCBS collectible Matoran designs, and I have come up with a grand total of...

16 different skeletons! If there were six possible Kanohi, then the total number of Matoran from one Koro that you could get would be...

96! From only ONE Koro! And if there were six different Koros, then the total number of different Matoran you could get would be... *Fetches calculator*

576 different Matoran! That's enough for the whole of Mata Nui! So I believe that if Lego do intend to release blind bag sets, then tiny Matoran are the way to go.

Maths for the win! We need to get this info to Lego immediately!

• Upvote 2

Not necessarily, if they do a timeskip and more or less completely cut off the new story from the old, then they could abandon the serials without really damaging anything.

I did say kinda implies.  It doesn't necessarily mean it won't be, just implies it.  And it most likely means that it won't be a direct continuation unless they retcon the cereals.  Alternatively, maybe they don't want him to finish the serials until Bionicle returns, so as not to spoil anything?

"Somewhere in some government facility, the government just calculated that, somewhere in the course of the last 2000+ years, the time calculations have been off.  They rush to complete their calculations by next year, and discover a whole year was added in somewhere.  The world governments decide next year will be 2016.  The year 2015 is skipped, and there is no 2015 in the history books." 

Sorry, just had to do it.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

what if bionicle's return is only for one or two years, then what? or what if these sets are for a big screen movie?

The 2015 sets won't be tying in directly with a big-screen movie no matter what. If there were ANY new LEGO movie coming to theaters in 2015 we would already know about it by now, no matter what theme it was attached to. As it is, the next LEGO movie coming to theaters is the LEGO Ninjago movie in 2016, and after that there will be a sequel to The LEGO Movie in 2017. Warner Bros. has announced release dates for additional animated films in 2018 and onward, but even though a lot of news sources reported these as "two new LEGO movies", there is absolutely no confirmation that these two movies will in fact be LEGO-related in any way (of course, if they were BIONICLE-related then it would make perfect sense for them to keep the identity of the films under wraps until the new BIONICLE theme is formally announced, but any sets that tie in directly with those movies would come out closer to the movies' release dates anyway).

As for how long the new BIONICLE will stick around, there's no way to say for sure, but I think the LEGO Group would probably plan a theme like this for AT LEAST three years. If it's a catastrophic failure (which is unlikely, considering just how long Hero Factory has lasted even without a lot of media support), then it could be cut short, whereas if it's tremendously successful, the LEGO Group could keep it going for longer. Probably best to wait until the sets are out and we see what level of media support they're getting before we jump to any conclusions.

• Upvote 5

what if bionicle's return is only for one or two years, then what? or what if these sets are for a big screen movie? 

Then those will be all our two best post-childhood years. ;)

But really, even if it is only coming back for a few waves (which I doubt, usually themes that are like that are less story-driven and are constantly being rebooted: Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, Castle/Kingdoms. And even themes like Atlantis and to an extent Power miners that even though they had a somewhat complex backstory there wasn't too much room for a continuation, I expect not as long as BIONICLE part 1, maybe 5 or so years. I doubt BIONICLE part 3 would come once it is discontinued though. Or, there is a chance it will become an evergreen theme like Ninjago did.) all we can do is make the most of it

• Upvote 4

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Ninjago is hardly an evergreen theme. They run out of story and fantastic designs and market demand, poof, it's gone. It's not like City where they can release slightly different fire trucks every year. 

Anyway, I doubt Bionicle will be getting a theatrical film for a long while. Why would a film be planned for an untried commodity? (I guess Bionicle is not truly an untried commodity, but I'd like to think they would want to make sure it works again now before committing themselves to a film for it.)

• Upvote 4

To be blunt, a Bionicle film would ruin the characters for me. 

For example, the MNOG version of Jaller made him look like a super awesome military commander. The film version made him act like a seven year old (no offence to you 7-year guys out there). 

Onua was also ruined, as well as Nuju. The only one that I can think of that had a good portrayal was Ackar, but even he had his flaws. 

• Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

the MNOG version of Jaller made him look like a super awesome military commander. The film version made him act like a seven year old

I could forget the inconsistency if it wasn't for him frequently being referred to as the 'captain of the guard' in the movie. This recalls his previous appearances in which he seems older and wiser, making it difficult to separate the two portrayals.

Onua was also ruined, as well as Nuju.

I do find Onua's 'tough guy' voice overplayed and the character was rewritten as a bit of a brute, but in fairness his character wasn't especially defined before then.

Nuju has barely a handful of lines in the second movie, nearly all of them incidental. I don't see how he could be 'ruined' when he barely says/does much at all.

• Upvote 1

thethreevirtues podcast is a source of speculation, not hard fact. I'm not sure what they're talking about, but it looks like they're claiming that someone confirmed Bionicle's return in February on a forum somewhere. That doesn't sound very reliable.

Actually, the video notes the leaker is believed to be the founder of BIONIFIGS.com, a large French website focused on Lego constraction lines. They were the first to leak these pictures of the 2013 constraction versions of Laval and Cragger, which were obviously legitimate. I'd be surprised if a person as invested in the fandom as the founder of BIONIFIGS wasn't entirely certain of the egitimacy of his source or her source.

EDIT: It's okay to link to leaked pictures of sets that have already been released, right?

Edited by Azani
  • Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

EDIT: It's okay to link to leaked pictures of sets that have already been released, right?

No, of course not! Why would you be allowed to post photos of toys that have already been released?!

:P

From what I personally know about BZPower's policy regarding leaked content, I wouldn't be too surprised if leaked pictures of sets that have been on store shelves for more than a year continued to be a problem. I'm half-serious, honestly.

Edited by Azani

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

No, of course not! Why would you be allowed to post photos of toys that have already been released?!

:P

From what I personally know about BZPower's policy regarding leaked content, I wouldn't be too surprised if leaked pictures of sets that have been on store shelves for more than a year continued to be a problem. I'm half-serious, honestly.

Eh, I don't blame you.

• Upvote 1