Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Let's everybody just calm down, shall we? 

A few points to clarify:

Matoro Lives - I haven't gone to all of those sites you've mentioned, but I find it odd that you talk about hostile behavior on this forum. I've been here a while now, and I've never seen anything hostile. There are a lot of heated arguments sometimes, which is to be expected, (everyone has their own opinion, and their entitled to it) but I've never seen anything that I would describe as hostile. If anything like that did occur there would be some rather nasty consequences for the guilty party, delivered by the Iron Hand of the Admin.

I might also add that I've been to several sites (Brickipedia, BS01 and some chats on LMB) that have nothing but glowing approval for BZPower. I've never before heard anything about any online community hating BZPower. Or indeed, about any Bionicle fan community having a larger number of users than us. I could be wrong about this, but I'm just going on what I've personally observed. 

Octodad - I mostly spend my time on the Bionicle Discussion part of this forum, so I don't know what else goes on elsewhere on this site, but BZP is a Bionicle fansite, and Bionicle has been discontinued for almost five years now. Exactly what sort of support have we been getting from Lego? I'm not trying to refute your point here; I agree with it, but I'm curious about what you mean about support.  

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 3

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Octodad - I mostly spend my time on the Bionicle Discussion part of this forum, so I don't know what else goes on elsewhere on this site, but BZP is a Bionicle fansite, and Bionicle has been discontinued for almost five years now. Exactly what sort of support have we been getting from Lego? I'm not trying to refute your point here; I agree with it, but I'm curious about what you mean about support.  

You know those fun raffles we get to participate in to win cool stuff? And those contests with cool Lego prizes? And those numerous set reviews? Without Lego's support, every last one of those would either be cut or paid for with the money of the staff members. That's the support we get from Lego.

• Upvote 4

Octodad might have a few things to add here, but since I know a bit about this, I thought that I'd say that BZPower receives several free sets each year from Lego for review purposes. As far as I know, this is as far as any official support has ever extended.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Octodad.

Edited by Azani
  • Upvote 2

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Okay. Thanks both of you for clarifying that.

Anyway, I think the bottom line is this: no matter how irritating you may find the leaks policy, it's here to stay, so just deal with it. If you don't like it, leave. If you can tolerate it, stay. You choice.

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

If we see leaks, how does that even hurt LEGO? This isn't like the Transformers fandom where a 3rd party can come out of nowhere and make unofficial figures. Even if such an event were to take place, there wouldn't be any good quality figures to come out of it. I've heard the copy-paste thing about leaks being bad because of competitors...what competition is even out there for Bionicle? Last I checked, any attempts by other companies at replicating Bionicle's success have failed. So other than spoiled surprise, how can they hurt LEGO? Transformers stuff gets leaked all the time...I don't see Hasbro and Takara being hurt by that at all. Even when an unofficial figure gets made prior to the official one, the official figures still sells just fine. 

I'm going to abide by this policy...but that won't stop me from questioning it. 

Ya know, I hope Bionicle 2015 has cool posters like we got back in 2001 and 2002. I've got a "Find the Power" poster from 2002, but poor thing is torn at the corners because I didn't know how to properly hang posters back then, I was only like...8. Collecting posters is kind of a thing for me now, so I'd love to get some more. If we do, I sure hope they're 27x40, I prefer that over the 24x36.

• Upvote 2

Do you think we could make an exception to the no leaks rule and actually discuss the Bionicle leaks since they are pretty much plastered over every other Lego fan site? I'm finding this new BZP extreme censorship a little disconcerting. We are losing members over this whole no leaks policy.

If you want to risk all of the support Lego gives us over a few leaks? Sure, you could make a case for an exception. Leaks always spread and BZPower has always stood tight on ignoring them, because that's a necessary policy to keep Lego from hating us. Also, according to Black Six, activity on this site is actually at its highest in years, despite being unable to discuss leaks. I don't think it's as big of a deterrent as you think it is.

The activity has been up because fans have been coming here for news on the leaks, only to be disappointed. Sure, the activity is up, but people leave almost as soon a the come because of this stupid leak policy. BZP doesn't even represent the majority of the constraction community anymore, I'm surprised lego still supports this site. Websites like tumblr, 4chan, and eurobricks are where the majority of the fans hangout now. It's mostly just the Hero Factory fanboys, the BZP loyalists, and some bionicle fans that use BZP now. Our numbers are shrinking whether you want to believe it or not. If BZP keeps up this negative attitude we will just keep losing members.

This sounds a lot like you're speaking from how things "feel" rather than having actual numbers to support it. Where's your evidence that people are immediately leaving? Evidence is everything in a court of law, and also here. What I have is testimony from Black Six that BZPower is experiencing the most activity it's had since Bionicle ended, and also the fact that if the staff allowed discussion of leaked images, Lego would likely revoke all support they give this site, which would hurt far more than waiting to find out this information legally.

I don't see why BZPower should ever aspire to be like 4chan or Eurobricks. They're both terrible communities.

"When evidence is unattainable let observation and deductive inference lead the way". I cannot give you evidence, but I do have testimonies from close to 50 members of these various sites. The majority of them warned me to stay away from BZP because it is such a hostile environment for Bionicle fans (like your last post just proved), and to just give up on BZP. A simple search for Bionicle on tumblr will lead to a Bionicle community easily 10 times larger than BZP. I don't know what your problem is with eurobricks, considering their community is much friendly than the one here, but they too have a much larger fanbase than BZP. True, 4chan is not the best of sites, but they too possess a Bionicle fanbase that rivals ours. Almost all of the 4chan members and many of the tumblr users hate BZP, dubbing us Hero***s and many other unpleasant names. Over the past few months all of these communities have had an increased flow of new members and almost all of them claimed to be from BZP and they all blamed it on either a hostile environment, or ridiculous leak censorship. I cannot present any numbers, because I have no control over any of these sites, but trust me I have observed these communities for a few years, and this is one of the biggest BZP exoduses I have seen since Bionicle ended. Frankly, although I cannot give exact numbers I can confidently estimate from observing these communities that BZP probably only represents (at the most) 10% of the constraction community (and that is a generous estimation, it's most likely less).

Frankly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Eurobricks has one single subsection of their forum for constraction fans, with a couple dozen active posters and maybe six or seven active topics on constraction, total. And most of those members are also BZP members.

4chan has a single discussion topic at a time for BIONICLE filled with mostly posts from people complaining about BZP because they didn't like that BZP won't let them be jerks and promote harmful ideologies or post leaked content. Surprise! Banned members don't have nice things to say about BZP??? Whaaaaaaaat??!?!?!

Tumblr's BIONICLE community is mostly BZP members who also blog on Tumblr. Surprise.

Refusing to post leaks is not censorship. It is refusing to post illegal material.

BZPower is more active now than it has been since before BIONICLE was canceled. We've had more new members, more active discussions, and more web traffic than we've had in years. I'll take actual metrics over feelings gleaned from angry ex-members (especially when they think there's something wrong with being a Hero Factory fan, since if BIONICLE does come back, it's going to utilize the HF system wholesale).

There is no greater concentration of LEGO constraction fans anywhere online than on BZP. Are there forums with more LEGO general fans than here? Absolutely. Eurobricks overtook us a few years back, for one. But to say they are bigger in the constraction scene is simply false.

• Upvote 18

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

At least that argument began to wind down.

One really interesting thing I have found for this website, and the people who are on it, is how two guys can be at two entirely different views, but instantly forgive each other after their little discussion (heated it may be) is over.

Yes, I have seen people say that BZPOWER sucks, I have also seen people call the people who go on this a large and negative variety of names. However, when you go on this, you see that it actually is very different from their ideas of it. (Also, the "Hero [insert word]s", are actually pretty great people, and I've found that many do enjoy BIONICLE stil, but have also found their way to enjoying a new line. So the guys that hate people that like it, I'm sorry but it is not as terrible as you think.) To be honest, all of the hate that I have seen against BZPOWER has been from "friendly communities" like the TTV site. Although I know there are great people there, I have seen a lot more negative feelings from there than to there from here.

Also, on the basis of other sites having more people than us. Yes, they might, but LEGO seems to trust BZPOWER more, and I'm pretty sure it is due to the fact that leaks are removed from here, so we actually listen to LEGO when they request something of us.

But yeah, this place really is no place to be discussing the policies, and although it may make us annoyed that we cannot discuss leaks, but really, they Are LEAKS. Which really should not happen, as it is the release of property that belongs to a company which is not authorized yet to be revealed.

Okay , I'm done with that rant-ish thing.

As for how I hope the story to feel? I hope it stays away from both how it started, and how it was on Voya Nui. I hope it gives a feeling of discovery , but also one of danger. I'd like something that would signify a new world that is still fraught with dangers (Spherus Magna definitely is dangerous). The new world allows for both world-building as well as character development, and to achieve those, it would be best to give it both a mysterious and a dangerous feel.

Mystery allows the story to explore the world, to see it with new eyes.

The danger gives the characters adversity, plenty of it, which was a nice thing on Voya Nui, and that gives the characters an ability to grow, and gives us insight to their true characteristics.

So really, the story I am looking for is not like any of the earlier years, what I hope for is much more vibrant than the earlier years... More like how funding a new island would be if you knew nothing of its numerous dangers and beauties.

EDIT: I guess you are gonna argue about it for a few more hours then...

I'm just gonna say, think of what Elsa said to Anna when Anna said she "can't live like this anymore."

That is my stance to people who truly do not like something and are there just to cause contention.

Edited by Heontris
  • Upvote 2

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

In terms of story, I'd like to see something completely new, but old at the same time. I'd personally like to set the new storyline sometime in the future of Spherus Magna, starting with the city of New Atero. Perhaps it could also be set after some kind of war, and Lego can just say that they killed off a lot of the older heroes/villains/other less-than-necessary characters during the interlude. This is the only method I can think of that Lego could keep it as a continuation of the old story while still making it easy for new fans to understand and enjoy. 

I don't want a retelling, and I don't want a completely new story with the old character names. 

• Upvote 4

I've been a Bionicle fan since 2001, and was active on BZPower 2005 - 2007 (my Spider-Man 3 avatar that I haven't changed since 2007 should give that away, haha). I've always adored the line, sets and story and all, and still collect the figures, though for the most part I stopped regularly checking for Bionicle-specific updates after the post 2010 serials stopped being updated.

I had heard a few rumors that Bionicle was coming back in 2015, but I chalked it all up to being just that, rumors. But now I'm hearing there's legitimacy to it all? Possibly... proof swinging around the interwebs?? If so, color me pumped, regardless of what direction the story takes. I love the world of Bionicle, and I'm down for anything that's well done. Continuation of the original story? Awesome. Reboot in the same continuity? Awesome. Complete reboot ala Amazing Spider-Man? Seriously, I'd be down for it if it was well done. I'd obviously love to see the original storyline continue (is this new info about Velika's agents at all connected to anything?), but I completely understand the sentiment of wanting to start fresh for new fans though, similar to what toylines such as Transformers and GI Joe often do. A quality product that brings in a new generation of Bionicle fans sounds great to me.

While I don't want to jump the gun on all of this, as someone who literally received a 2004 Krekka set from my brother for my birthday this weekend, I would be absolutely thrilled to see one of my favorite Lego themes return in 2015!

:silver:

Here in Oregon, there's a Lego hobby shop called Bricks & Minifigs. There's a corner with a Bionicle parts bin, a case of used figures, and several early generation NIB sets on the shelves. 

I was looking around; shifting through parts I needed, when a kid and his mom ran over to the aforementioned corner. This little guy looked about six, but the first thing he said was "Whoa! They have Vakama!" he then proceeded to name off the various sets and search through the miscellaneous parts for masks and the like. The kid walked out of there with one or two sets older than him. It was incredible.

It's things like this that give me faith in Bionicle's return. He was probably too young to fully indulge when the line ended. I was his age when the line began. And yet there he was, just as fascinated with Bionicle as I am. 

• Upvote 11

In case of younger fans found in the wild:

I was on a train trip few weeks ago, and there were three kids (a lot younger than me, two boys and one girl) sitting close to me, and I was able to overhear their conversation. First I ignored it, but when we passed by a quarry, one of them said: "Maybe Mata Nui crashed there." The others responded by "Yeah, cool!"

This was in Finland, with about 5 million people. I am the only one of my friends who still ties actively in to this series, and I was given the right to know that I'm not alone, even in my own desolate country.

It was a moment of nostalgia mixed with hope. Hope for 2015.

• Upvote 5

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

Here in Oregon, there's a Lego hobby shop called Bricks & Minifigs. There's a corner with a Bionicle parts bin, a case of used figures, and several early generation NIB sets on the shelves.

I was looking around; shifting through parts I needed, when a kid and his mom ran over to the aforementioned corner. This little guy looked about six, but the first thing he said was "Whoa! They have Vakama!" he then proceeded to name off the various sets and search through the miscellaneous parts for masks and the like. The kid walked out of there with one or two sets older than him. It was incredible.

It's things like this that give me faith in Bionicle's return. He was probably too young to fully indulge when the line ended. I was his age when the line began. And yet there he was, just as fascinated with Bionicle as I am.

The one in Canby? They have a great BIONICLE selection. And luckily the guy running it doesn't out price them either. That story of yours happens there every time I go in, it is pretty awesome.
  • Upvote 2

You. Are. So. Lucky. To. Have. A. Shop. Like. That. I envy you. And on a slightly different note...

Theta Lewa!

Theta_Lewa.png

VBWj75sh.png

My TRU still sells the STARS sets, (just Takanuva, Skrall, and Piraka) and kids still recognize and buy them. For a while I could also find Tarduk and Zesk, but those have vanished.

• Upvote 1

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

My TRU still sells the STARS sets, (just Takanuva, Skrall, and Piraka) and kids still recognize and buy them. For a while I could also find Tarduk and Zesk, but those have vanished.

Maybe you can hook me up with a Takanuva and Skrall :P

I still occasionally hear parents and such referring to the HF sets as Bionicles when I wander through local toy stores and such, and it gives me this smug feeling on the inside, because I realise Bionicle will never truly be forgotten. Maybe the kids will grow up and move on, but the parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles (like mine), will always remember that quirky Lego theme with the convoluted storyline and weird names that their kid was so obsessed with. 

That, for me, is almost enough to make the whole thing worthwhile. I will never forget. 

• Upvote 5

My mom still only knows LEGO as that BIONICLE company. I think that is a powerful statement on the longevity and passion of the brand. And, frankly, I strongly believe that BIONICLE was the best new IP of that decade. This was a product that revived the LEGO company and ignited a passionate fanbase. I still buy and play with LEGO, but that would have never happened if BIONICLE didn't exist.

• Upvote 5

-You're really irritating.
-Does irritating mean "fun"?

I still occasionally hear parents and such referring to the HF sets as Bionicles when I wander through local toy stores and such, and it gives me this smug feeling on the inside, because I realise Bionicle will never truly be forgotten. Maybe the kids will grow up and move on, but the parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles (like mine), will always remember that quirky Lego theme with the convoluted storyline and weird names that their kid was so obsessed with. 

That, for me, is almost enough to make the whole thing worthwhile. I will never forget. 

*Forgets five years later*

"What was that thing I loved as a kid? Bonkles or something like that?"

:P

But yeah, I agree. Bionicle had a big part to play in the lives of many children, and I don't think anyone can truly forget it.

I had a friend during my freshman year in high school who liked Bionicle almost as much as I did. He told me the story of how he received his first Bionicle: When his dad got back from the Navy, he took him to the store and told him he'd buy him any toy he wanted - and he picked a Bionicle figure (I think it was a Keelerak). He told me it was one of the greatest moments of his life.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

My info has changed.  I can now say with 98.6% certainty that Bionicle is coming back.  (Whereas previously, I said it wasn't coming back with 96.8% certainty)  And now I am happy.

Incidentally, in a casual discussion with a friend the other day about Minecraft, I casually mentioned Bionicle.  I do not think this friend has much to do with Lego, but yet he not only recognized the name Bionicle, he had enough familiarity with it to imagine a Minecraft Bionicle Mod.  I'd say Bionicle is one of Lego's most recognizable themes.  Unlike, say... (what was it called?)... Ninjagi?

(Yes, I know it's called Ninjago, just speaking in a hypothetical five years from now).

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

In case of younger fans found in the wild:

I was on a train trip few weeks ago, and there were three kids (a lot younger than me, two boys and one girl) sitting close to me, and I was able to overhear their conversation. First I ignored it, but when we passed by a quarry, one of them said: "Maybe Mata Nui crashed there." The others responded by "Yeah, cool!"

This was in Finland, with about 5 million people. I am the only one of my friends who still ties actively in to this series, and I was given the right to know that I'm not alone, even in my own desolate country.

It was a moment of nostalgia mixed with hope. Hope for 2015.

Et ole yksin. ;)

Hearing these stories about kids mentioning Bionicle brings a feeling of comfort to me... Long live Bionicle.

• Upvote 4

My info has changed.  I can now say with 98.6% certainty that Bionicle is coming back.  (Whereas previously, I said it wasn't coming back with 96.8% certainty)  And now I am happy.

Incidentally, in a casual discussion with a friend the other day about Minecraft, I casually mentioned Bionicle.  I do not think this friend has much to do with Lego, but yet he not only recognized the name Bionicle, he had enough familiarity with it to imagine a Minecraft Bionicle Mod.  I'd say Bionicle is one of Lego's most recognizable themes.  Unlike, say... (what was it called?)... Ninjagi?

(Yes, I know it's called Ninjago, just speaking in a hypothetical five years from now).

If you think Ninjago will be forgotten in five years you've got another thing coming. Ninjago is HUGE, and its fanbase is dedicated. If you haven't noticed that, perhaps you're just not hanging out in the right communities.
  • Upvote 8

Pardon? Do you mean "move along" instead of "move on"? XD

[Edit] Yay, 150th post!

Edited by Makuta Miras

VBWj75sh.png

All right.  Maybe Ninjago wasn't the best example for that.  Still, let's say that Bionicle doesn't come back in 2015, or ever (let's hope not) Suddenly, at the end of 2015, Ninjago is cancelled, and it never returns.  Flash forward to, say, 2031.  Bionicle will probably be remembered more than Ninjago.  I think, anyway.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I was talking with this real cool guy at the farm I was volunteering at yesterday. I happened to mention Bionicle one way or another and he was like "Bionicle? Man, those things were the bomb when I was a kid!" He said a few more words about how cool it was and he recognized the six toa mata (not by name though). This guy was twenty years old. A lot of members here on BZP are about that age but it makes me happy to see that even people who aren't as committed to the theme as us still remember it and have a great memories with them like I did.

Oddly enough one of my friends mentioned that they had seen "Tales of the Tohunga" on shelves in a local video game store for forever. I suspected that it would be "Heroes" or something newer but they seem pretty convinced that it's that one. If only I had a gameboy (or for that matter, anything that can play video-games.  :P )

• Upvote 3

I'm going to cash in on this "remembrance of Bionicle" thing that we've got going now-

The only time that I've seen a Bionicle in a shop post-2010 was in Florence, Italy, in 2012. This tiny toy shop had five out of six Glatorian, and seeing as I had four out of six, I bought the only one there which I didn't have- Tarix.

I spent all of my 25 euros spending money on one Bionicle set. On the second day of my two-week holiday.

I was 11.  :lol-sign:

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

I'm going to cash in on this "remembrance of Bionicle" thing that we've got going now-

The only time that I've seen a Bionicle in a shop post-2010 was in Florence, Italy, in 2012. This tiny toy shop had five out of six Glatorian, and seeing as I had four out of six, I bought the only one there which I didn't have- Tarix.

I spent all of my 25 euros spending money on one Bionicle set. On the second day of my two-week holiday.

The Glatorian were 25 euros? o_O I know that a lot of countries' prices can be higher than those in the United States, but that seems ridiculous! I think that shop probably ripped you off!

I recently stopped by a Toys R Us where the Hero Factory sets have have been thinning out lately. They just don't sell them much, anymore. I asked the manager if they were getting ready for Bionicle to return, and... well, basically, he said yes. We wound up having a surprisingly long conversation about things like how smart lego was for putting the theme to bed for a little while while it was still good so it could easily come back to store shelves without having the stigma of being a theme that didn't sell or whatever, and even some of his experiences in that store as far back as... well, fifteen years ago, when lego was on the brink and they managed to pull themselves back up, to his amazement, and how Bionicle exploded back in the day and we can only imagine how they might manage to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

So yeah... I know it's just one incident that doesn't confirm anything on its own, but at the very least, that was pretty cool.

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I recently stopped by a Toys R Us where the Hero Factory have have been thinning out lately. They just don't sell them much, anymore. I asked the manager if they were getting ready for Bionicle to return, and... well, basically, he said yes. We wound up having a surprisingly long conversation about things like how smart lego was for putting the theme to bed fro a little while whiel it was still good so it could easily come back to store shelves without having the stigma of being a theme that didn't sell or whatever, and even some of his experiences in that store as far back as... well, fifteen years ago, when lego was on the brink and they managed to pull themselves back up, to his amazement, and how Bionicle exploded back in the day and we can only imagine how they might manage to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

So yeah... I know it's just one incident that doesn't confirm anything on its own, but at the very least, that was pretty cool.

That is a cool experience for sure. It must be amazing to find somebody else who knows so much about the theme! I don't have a lot of experiences like that. Most of the time, when I have come across other people who are familiar with BIONICLE, they've been young adults around my age who lost interest in BIONICLE long before I did and don't understand things like the reveal of Mata Nui's identity in 2008 or the reasons the theme ended when it did. So that's why I don't have a lot of reflections of my own to share. =/

Even when BIONICLE was still running, I didn't encounter a lot of other BIONICLE fans in my day-to-day life. But that might be in part because I wasn't a very social person back then. Some of the kids in art club with me in high school were familiar with certain BIONICLE characters, but only from seeing the movies on TV.

• Upvote 4

@DeeVee

I can't say I'm super caught up with the arguments, but I think that some people have been simply expressing the sentiment that BZPower is commanding less and less of the fanbase - why is there now a TTV forum alongside ours? It's kind of dismissive to just reply with a post basically expressing, "Nuh-uh, BZP is best".

My two cents though. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

@DeeVee

I can't say I'm super caught up with the arguments, but I think that some people have been simply expressing the sentiment that BZPower is commanding less and less of the fanbase - why is there now a TTV forum alongside ours? It's kind of dismissive to just reply with a post basically expressing, "Nuh-uh, BZP is best".

My two cents though.

There have always been other BIONICLE message boards, though. And TTV's has hardly been up for any time at all — I don't see why there's any reason to think it will cause the BZPower userbase to get smaller, any more than other small BIONICLE forums did back in the day. In general, BZPower has never had a complete monopoly on the online BIONICLE fan community, and there's no reason it should have one. Some of those BZP-haters you mention on sites like 4chan are people this site is probably better off without — why try to bring people to the site who are already inclined to be vulgar and disagreeable, or to derail BIONICLE conversations to rant about a kids' toy fansite they happen to have a grudge against?

And DeeVee's post isn't just insisting that "BZP is best". It's providing solid evidence that BZPower has experienced no decline whatsoever in activity as a result of its leak policy. As he says, the site's up to the highest levels of activity ever since before BIONICLE was cancelled. Unless the BIONICLE fanbase as a whole has gotten larger since BIONICLE ended, there's absolutely no way BZPower getting back up to pre-cancellation levels of activity could be seen as a decline. Is the site getting as much activity as it COULD be getting with a different leak policy? Maybe not, but it's getting as much activity as it NEEDS, and then some.

• Upvote 7

The fact that so many people still remember Bionicle now might work in Lego's favour (and ours). Old fans might not buy the sets themselves, but I'm certain they'll encourage their younger friends to do so. It was the theme that saved the Lego company, and because it ran for so long and the comics came with all of the Lego magazines and stuff, it was one of Lego's most well-known themes. Older Lego fans, even the ones who didn't get much into the theme, will still recognise the name, and that's going to gain a lot of interest straight away. 

Bionicle 2015 is coming, and it shall be great...

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 6

The Glatorian were 25 euros? o_O I know that a lot of countries' prices can be higher than those in the United States, but that seems ridiculous! I think that shop probably ripped you off!

I bought Berix for what was equivalent to $15USD, and the Phantoka for what would be $20USD.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

@DeeVee

My two cents though. 

As Aanchir said, there have always been other BIONICLE forums out there. Mask of Destiny has forums, there was Mata-Nui Online V3 (and that one was several levels busier than the TTV forums seem to hope to be). Regardless of what other sites are out there, how many of those communities can go any amount of time without comparing themselves to BZP? Whether they like it or not, BZP is the dominant player in the BIONICLE online fandom. Considering our longevity, our deep connections to TLG and several prominent LEGO conventions across the US, we are very well placed for a possible BIONICLE return, and I truly can't see any other community coming close to upstaging us any time soon.

My post wasn't summed up with "Nuh-uh, BZP is best", it is summed up as "BZP is the most relevant".

• Upvote 8

Incidentally, in a casual discussion with a friend the other day about Minecraft, I casually mentioned Bionicle.  I do not think this friend has much to do with Lego, but yet he not only recognized the name Bionicle, he had enough familiarity with it to imagine a Minecraft Bionicle Mod.  I'd say Bionicle is one of Lego's most recognizable themes.  

Yeah, it really is.

I brought it up at work one day with five other guys, and I got responses like: "What? Dude, those were so awesome! I had all the sets!" or "Those were the bomb!"

People still remember it, and that makes me happy.  ^_^

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

You are all aware you can register to more than just one forum, right? Back in Bionicle's heyday, I was logged in to no less than five forums. Each forum had it's own specialty and niche going for it.

It also had nothing to do with getting more people to tell me my mocs were cool, no sir.

• Upvote 10

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

...But "most relevant" or no, that doesn't mean other sites aren't relevant, or that we should be twiddling our thumbs.  I think 2015's going to be a banner year for BZP, but only if we all make the effort to keep this place a fun, welcoming community, and maybe avoid some of the mistakes of our youth.  Those who do not study history, and so on.

Veering back on topic a bit more directly, Bionicle definitely has some name recognition still, though Aanchir's right to say Ninjago's up there too.  (Anecdotally, the only sets I've heard parents/grandparents asking for by name are Ninjago ones, but a lot of people in their teens-twenties are at least passingly familiar with the Bionicle name.)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I think BZP's current policy is actually helping that, though. Bionicle returns in 2015, and the forum shows that it's maintained a good policy regarding leaks, so it continues to be trusted by Lego and Lego will continue sending them cool stuff for it.

You can get grainy photos anywhere, but trust is hard to replace once broken.

• Upvote 3

Tumblr: Where facts and logic go to die.

I've always found trust hard to give, or to gain, but maybe that's just because I'm naturally suspicious of people. 

But you have a point. Hopefully Lego remembers us.