Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Touché.

Anyway... actually relevant news!
Eurobricks has just opened a raffle for NYCC tickets from Lego. They have six of them, two each for three raffle winners.

This is a raffle open to all our members for 3x 2 tickets for day 1 of NYC ComicCON – Thursday, October 9.

LEGO will be holding a panel at 1 p.m. that day and host a very special event where a brand new LEGO theme will be announced.

The ticket will get you in to ComicCON on that day and the panel and the special evening event. Pretty awesome, isn't it?

This raffle only provides the ticket, not travel and accommodation.

Requirements to enter this raffle:

• Able to be in NYC on Thursday, October 9
  • Report back here on EB with few pictures and words about what LEGO has revealed (you'll be our reporter onsite).
There will be 3 random winners for this raffle, each getting 2 tickets (so you can bring someone along with you).

Winners will be announced in 1 week from now.

Who's in for the raffle?

EDIT: I'm adding one more requirement to be eligible for the raffle: you should write a few words on why you should be the one winning these tickets.

(The tickets will be personal, so only the raffle winners and their companion will be able to use them. Only enter if you will go personally!)

nycc-logo-low-res.jpg

People have been saying "since it was sent to BZP only, it's got to be Bionicle" and will now probably say that "since it's going to other sites it must not be Bionicle"... hold your horses.

BZP got twice as many tickets as EB.
EB is known for having an excellent group of reviewers and photographers, and ensuring that at least three of them were present would be a great move on Lego's part to get the word out and spread publicity with some high-quality, possibly professional-style photos.
Bonaparte (head EB admin) specifically requested that the people who win the tickets take pictures and report back to EB about it. This also leads me to believe that EB was not told the nature of the panel and event, like with BZP.

Long story short: other sites have tickets as well, but it's still likely to be Bionicle.

Edited by Chro
  • Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Touché.

Eurobricks has just opened a raffle for NYCC tickets from Lego. They have six of them, two each for three raffle winners.

This is a raffle open to all our members for 3x 2 tickets for day 1 of NYC ComicCON – Thursday, October 9.

LEGO will be holding a panel at 1 p.m. that day and host a very special event where a brand new LEGO theme will be announced.

The ticket will get you in to ComicCON on that day and the panel and the special evening event. Pretty awesome, isn't it?

This raffle only provides the ticket, not travel and accommodation.

Requirements to enter this raffle:

• Able to be in NYC on Thursday, October 9
  • Report back here on EB with few pictures and words about what LEGO has revealed (you'll be our reporter onsite).
There will be 3 random winners for this raffle, each getting 2 tickets (so you can bring someone along with you).

Winners will be announced in 1 week from now.

Who's in for the raffle?

EDIT: I'm adding one more requirement to be eligible for the raffle: you should write a few words on why you should be the one winning these tickets.

(The tickets will be personal, so only the raffle winners and their companion will be able to use them. Only enter if you will go personally!)

nycc-logo-low-res.jpg

People have been saying "since it was sent to BZP only, it's got to be Bionicle" and will now probably say that "since it's going to other sites it must not be Bionicle"... hold your horses.

EB is known for having an excellent group of reviewers and photographers, and ensuring that at least three of them were present would be a great move on Lego's part to get the word out and spread publicity with some high-quality, possibly professional-style photos.

Bonaparte (head EB admin) specifically requested that the people who win the tickets take pictures and report back to EB about it. This also leads me to believe that EB was not told the nature of the panel and event, like with BZP.

Long story short: other sites have tickets as well, but it's still likely to be Bionicle.

It could be the Minecraft minifigure-sized sets as well.

Edited by Bitl

biorena_logo_v2.png

I was a LEGO Universe Closed Beta Tester!

Nope. Those have already been announced. There would be no reason at all for Lego to keep the nature of the panel a secret if it was focused around those.

Edited by Chro
  • Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Only time will tell. My bet is that 2015 will be a sort of test year to see how popular Bionicle turns out to be. If they get good sales, then we might see more money being poured into the theme. Fingers crossed. 

Haha, great. :P  Now I have even more of a reason to spend all my money if Bionicle sets do come back...

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Also, any doubters should consider that there are no Hero Factory 2015 rumors, despite...recent events.

Recent events? Are you just talking about the flood of Bio 2015 rumours, or is there something else I've missed? 

I was referring to certain lists of LEGO sets I'm pretty sure we can't talk about.

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

But the thing is, very few people want to see HF's next sets, compared to the people who want Bionicle 2015, which appears to be about half of the internet, judging by what I've seen. So going by the supply/demand thingy, if a leaker has time to get a HF leak or a Bionicle leak, which do you think will get them more publicity? There's lots of demand for Bionicle leaks, but quite small supply, and there's very little demand for HF leaks, and so therefore there isn't much, if any, supply.

Trust me when I say this - my contact is reliable, and says there's no more Hero Factory for the foreseeable future.

Additionally, the leaker does not want publicity - in fact, it took some effort to prevent the leaker's identity from being spread around.

Lol, the choice of words is nearly identical to the letter that announced BIONICLE's cancellation.

• Upvote 1

Follow the light...

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

But the thing is, very few people want to see HF's next sets, compared to the people who want Bionicle 2015, which appears to be about half of the internet, judging by what I've seen. So going by the supply/demand thingy, if a leaker has time to get a HF leak or a Bionicle leak, which do you think will get them more publicity? There's lots of demand for Bionicle leaks, but quite small supply, and there's very little demand for HF leaks, and so therefore there isn't much, if any, supply.

Trust me when I say this - my contact is reliable, and says there's no more Hero Factory for the foreseeable future.

Additionally, the leaker does not want publicity - in fact, it took some effort to prevent the leaker's identity from being spread around.

Lol, the choice of words is nearly identical to the letter that announced BIONICLE's cancellation.

Evidently, Lego can't foresee five years. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

Evidently, Lego can't foresee five years.

That's true. They hardly ever plan a theme out that far in advance. For instance, Bionicle's return might not be happening (or at least, not happening so soon) if Hero Factory had been a breakout success on scale with themes like Ninjago and Chima, so there would have been no point in planning for it back in 2011 or 2012 when Hero Factory had not been around long enough to get a good idea of its sales potential. Lego Friends is the theme I know that has had the longest development time—three to four years—and it was a special case, since it was being developed specifically to cater to an underserved market and the only theme it was replacing (Belville) was one which had struggled to maintain sales for years.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Only time will tell. My bet is that 2015 will be a sort of test year to see how popular Bionicle turns out to be. If they get good sales, then we might see more money being poured into the theme.

Keep in mind that Lego would almost definitely not even consider bringing Bionicle back if they weren't certain it would be a large success.

Well, but there's still the question of how large. The LEGO Group is a much bigger and more successful company than they were during BIONICLE's original run, so even a success as great as BIONICLE's success in 2001–2002 might not be considered a tremendously big deal by today's standards. No reason to assume the new BIONICLE would have to be as big as Ninjago or The LEGO Movie to justify the amount that's been invested in bringing it back.

Keep in mind, though, that the Eurobricks community has a different geographic distribution than the BZPower community. Eurobricks is based in Europe, and even though they're a global site, that's probably where most of their users are from. BZPower, on the other hand, is based in the United States, and probably has more users who would be able to make it to NYCC without a huge travel expense.

I agree, there's a really good chance it'll be a BIONICLE reveal. But there's still a very real possibility that it might be something else.

• Upvote 1

I think I've finally worked out the big problem that might hamper Bionicle's return. Back in its heyday, Bionicle was the only big story-based theme of its kind, and the only one that really used constraction parts. Nowadays, Lego has a plethora of story-based themes, and some of them also use the constraction system in some of their sets (looking at you, Ninjago and Chima). There's also a lot more competition out there from other companies marketing similar sets, which means overall that Bionicle will have a harder time of becoming as popular as it once was. 

I'll do my bit to buy as many sets as I can afford. 

• Upvote 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Yeah, foregone conclusion - I didn't get to buy many of the 2001-2010 Bionicle, so if it comes back, I'll be purchasing a considerable number of them. I already like the CCBS, and throwing the Bionicle aesthetic on top of it...sold. :)

Speaking of which, I hope they do Bionicle aesthetic and not just throw Bionicle's name on HF sets. 

Yeah, foregone conclusion - I didn't get to buy many of the 2001-2010 Bionicle, so if it comes back, I'll be purchasing a considerable number of them. I already like the CCBS, and throwing the Bionicle aesthetic on top of it...sold. :)

Speaking of which, I hope they do Bionicle aesthetic and not just throw Bionicle's name on HF sets. 

Definitely. When we get Bionicle sets, I would want Bionicle sets. I'm not exactly sure how this could be accomplished, as the original Bionicle aesthetic was achieved through intricate and detailed parts with pistons on them and such. Maybe new parts? I don't like making over-specialized parts but they could be useful.

I completely agree. I like the CCBS, but they need to change or add something to make it more... Bionicley. Perhaps more armour pieces that can be attached with pinholes rather than just clipping on? Or more armour pieces that closely resembled past Bionicle parts? I wouldn't mind seeing something that looks like the shoulder and chest armour the Toa Nuva had. Those were always my favourite parts about those sets. And I'd love something more like the Metru head, for attaching the masks. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 3

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I think I've finally worked out the big problem that might hamper Bionicle's return. Back in its heyday, Bionicle was the only big story-based theme of its kind, and the only one that really used constraction parts. Nowadays, Lego has a plethora of story-based themes, and some of them also use the constraction system in some of their sets (looking at you, Ninjago and Chima). There's also a lot more competition out there from other companies marketing similar sets, which means overall that Bionicle will have a harder time of becoming as popular as it once was. 

I'll do my bit to buy as many sets as I can afford. 

I've already decided I'll buy all of the first wave, probably waves to come unless they get horribly awful, or massive waves like the later years.

• Upvote 1

Follow the light...

I'm also wondering about how heavily they changed the masks. It's obvious they did and probably should've changed the designs at leas a little bit but looking at some of them, I get the feeling that they might be too different. Different is good, but I don't know if it's a good idea to completely change them or change them too much. What do you guys and gals think on that? 

Edited by Banana Gunz

I don't really know what to think, to be honest. I don't know if there's a better quality version of the colour image out there somewhere that I haven't found, but it really is kind of difficult to discern the exact details of most of the masks. I can't tell what parts are the actual mask and what bits might just be the background or something. Plus, we can't be certain that these images are the final versions (looking at some of the sets, I hope this isn't the final version). I say we suspend judgement until we get some kind of better quality leak. 

Or better yet, when Lego gives us some pretty pictures to look at.

• Upvote 3

I'm also wondering about how heavily they changed the masks. It's obvious they did and probably should've changed the designs at leas a little bit but looking at some of them, I get the feeling that they might be too different. Different is good, but I don't know if it's a good idea to completely change them or change them too much. What do you guys and gals think on that?

Personally, I don't mind changes to the masks. The LEGO Group has proven with the masks from the past three years of Hero Factory that they are a lot better than they used to be at changing a mask while still maintaining a familiar sense of identity. And besides, in 2001 the LEGO Group was just figuring out high-detail mask design for the first time. For all the greatness of that first attempt, today's personality-filled mask designs, like Breez's from the Brain Attack series or Furno's and Stormer's from pretty much ANY series, lead me to believe they can do even better now.
  • Upvote 4

I agree. But even if they do change the masks, I don't want to see them changed too much. If they really want to remake the masks from earlier years, they still have to look like the old masks, otherwise there's no point. They might as well just make brand new characters with brand new masks, otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

I agree. But even if they do change the masks, I don't want to see them changed too much. If they really want to remake the masks from earlier years, they still have to look like the old masks, otherwise there's no point. They might as well just make brand new characters with brand new masks, otherwise. 

I dont agree with your last statement however I do respect it and understand why you would think that.

A character, to me in my opinion, doesn't need to have the same mask or appearance for that matter to be the same character with the same background story, personality and everything else that makes the character who he/she is. If Tahu, for example, ends up having a mask that in no way shape or form looks like a Hau, but it is in fact stated by TLG itself that it is a Hau, then so be it. At least to me that is. Appearance isnt everything that makes a character. Its the story behind the character that makes them who they are. I mean just look at Phantoka/Mistika Toa Nuva!

Edited by AdaptingChaos
  • Upvote 3

I dont agree with your last statement however I do respect it and understand why you would think that.

A character, to me in my opinion, doesn't need to have the same mask or appearance for that matter to be the same character with the same background story, personality and everything else that makes the character who he/she is. If Tahu, for example, ends up having a mask that in no way shape or form looks like a Hau, but it is in fact stated by TLG itself that it is a Hau, then so be it. At least to me that is. Appearance isnt everything that makes a character. Its the story behind the character that makes them who they are. I mean just look at Phantoka/Mistika Toa Nuva!

Personally, I completely agree with you, but there was so much hate and complaining about the changes in the Phantoka/Mistika lines, which is my reason for arguing to keep the masks relatively the same. I don't want to have to read through more hate posts about how much people dislike the new masks. 

Changed masks doesn't bother me too much, since any changes can be chalked up to the Adaptive Armor. I wouldn't want them to look ugly, but I don't think they would have to resemble the original masks.

Keep in mind that we have no idea what kind of storyline will accompany the new sets. If it's a reboot, there might not BE any Adaptive Armor.

Honestly, the fact that some people complained about the Stars version of Tahu "ruined" the Kanohi Hau leads me to believe that some people will complain about changes no matter how insignificant they are or how hard the designers strive to be faithful to the original. Better to just ignore those people than to naively hope for masks that they'll be satisfied with.

Changed masks doesn't bother me too much, since any changes can be chalked up to the Adaptive Armor. I wouldn't want them to look ugly, but I don't think they would have to resemble the original masks.

Keep in mind that we have no idea what kind of storyline will accompany the new sets. If it's a reboot, there might not BE any Adaptive Armor.

Honestly, the fact that some people complained about the Stars version of Tahu "ruined" the Kanohi Hau leads me to believe that some people will complain about changes no matter how insignificant they are or how hard the designers strive to be faithful to the original. Better to just ignore those people than to naively hope for masks that they'll be satisfied with.

I LOVE the Stars version of the Hau. The only thing about it that bugs me is the size. It's ALMOST too small to fit over a Metru head... almost.

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

That's a good point. People will always find things to be dissatisfied with.

I guess they'll just have to deal with it.  

Personally, I don't mind the 2008 designs, but I started ON BIONICLE in 2006, and that was my introduction to the Toa Nuva, so it could just be me.

Follow the light...

Personally, I don't mind the 2008 designs, but I started ON BIONICLE in 2006, and that was my introduction to the Toa Nuva, so it could just be me.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and you've made yours clear. I didn't mind the 2008 Toa designs too much either. I kind of liked them. Others may disagree; that's just their own opinion. Not my problem if someone disagrees with me. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

Yes, thank you! I've stated before, if the story ends up being a continuation, then different mask-shapes really wouldn't be abnormal. I mean, look at the Mistika masks - they could pass as completely different Kanohi.

Edited by Jakura Nuva

It's not just you. Phantoka Lewa and Icarax were the Holy Grails for my first proper Bionicle year. And Tanma. The Adaptive Miru has to be one of my favourite masks in existence, actually.

VBWj75sh.png

Some of the Phantoka/Mistika actually looked pretty close to their 2002 counterparts, but others not so much. The Adaptive Kakama looked more like the Vahi, and the orange sure didn't help. The adaptive Kaukau...um yeah, that thing isn't even recognizable as a Kaukau. 

I think that Lego stopped using orange in 2006 due to low sales with sets of that color. 

bZpOwEr

Some of the Phantoka/Mistika actually looked pretty close to their 2002 counterparts, but others not so much. The Adaptive Kakama looked more like the Vahi, and the orange sure didn't help. The adaptive Kaukau...um yeah, that thing isn't even recognizable as a Kaukau. 

I think that Lego stopped using orange in 2006 due to low sales with sets of that color. 

Don't you mean brown? :P

Hail Denmark

*facepalm* 

Brown. 

bZpOwEr

*facepalm*

Brown.

To be honest, I've been wanting to stock up on browns, cause I realized they go really well with the lime green.

(#bringbrownback)

• Upvote 2

Online presences (main ones, at least):

DeviantART: Heontris

YouTube: Heontris

Anything else with the name Heontris is also me. As far as I know.

"Don't be a night owl, it gets boring after the first 6 hours." - Me right now

For some reason, I feel like Brown will get back with Bionicle's come back.

We had some sets including brown lately that did sold pretty good. They might try it again

with Bionicle. 

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

Personally, I'm hoping for more new masks, rather than different versions of the existing ones (though that would be fine too, and I understand that there would be some of that, if the whole Tahu master of fire or whatnot is true).

I want lots of new masks, for MOCing purposes.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)