Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

If you post a short recap of ten years of "backbone storyline", you're not only providing the storyline in an flimsy, inferior form to experiencing it as it happened, you're also teasing people with snippets of a story that it would take a downright unreasonable amount of effort for them to experience for themselves. You're effectively giving kids a curriculum for a colorful building toy

I did say that you don't need to recap it all. There's plenty that you wouldn't need to recap.

And, as far as I know, the only things you can't legally get/view for free are the movies (easy enough) and books (less so, but arguably less necessary). For a large part, the books just go into more detail on the backbone story. What I'm considering the really "extra" stuff is covered in the serials and such, which are available legally.

But Bionicle has never been something that LEGO has spoonfed to kids. LEGO doesn't have to worry about "putting the burden" on them, any more than they've ever had to (I mean, the same things that are illegal/legal now were illegal/legal then).

If the kids want to figure something out about it, they can just do it. They don't need to depend upon LEGO to cater to their every wish.

I guess I'm a bit of a let-them-work for it kind of guy, but that's how Bionicle (to me, anyway) was. If I wanted to learn more about an event or character, I had to look up the serial or whatever it was in, read it, or look it up on BS01 or something (as others have said).

Anyway, for a chronological list of media, I think that would be great for LEGO to do. It provides a map, of sorts, for the kids to follow, but they are the ones who have to actually look for the stuff. (There's actually already a pretty good one here on BZP: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/4238-bionicle-chronology-topic/)

It's sort of like the saying, "You get what you pay for", but more like "You get what you work for". Satisfaction for work well done is much superior to satisfaction from someone handing you the byproduct of that work, without you having lifted a finger. There's a certain... joy that comes from researching something, then finally coming upon it.

But why should anyone have to work to understand a toy line's story? Would you really want to have to do research to like something? Bionicle has to be interesting, refreshing, and open to fans. If new consumers/kids see that in order to like Bionicle 2015 they have to do work and research 10 years of canon just to understand the current story, don't you think they would say no? Why should they have to devote their own free time to force themselves to study canon. And what if they find that they don't like it? It would've been a total waste of time for them. If you are presenting a product it is your responsibility to present it in such a way that it is free and open to get into.

Why don't we do the research for them?

• Upvote 1

I have made a timeline of Bionicle events already, and it's very comprehensive.  All it needs is to edit out my fan-fiction parts, and maybe a few checks for accuracy.

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

There's already a timeline on BS01. 

Also, rule of thumb: people are lazy. If something is too much work to understand, people are likely to get turned off by it. I'd rather start with a simple premise ("organic guys and robotic dudes on a planet") and introduce the backstory, weaving the basic parts of it into the new story slowly as part of the past secrets affecting the present. That way the new fans get to experience it as a mystery instead of a refrence manual, while we get to see the old story of Bionicle in a new light.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 6

Also, rule of thumb: people are lazy. If something is too much work to understand, people are likely to get turned off by it. I'd rather start with a simple premise ("organic guys and robotic dudes on a planet") and introduce the backstory, weaving the basic parts of it into the new story slowly as part of the past secrets affecting the present. That way the new fans get to experience it as a mystery instead of a refrence manual, while we get to see the old story of Bionicle in a new light.

We should do that ^ instead, i hope lego had this exact conversation when they were talking about bionicle's return, because the best ideas are here, unless lego has a even better one?!?!

We should do that ^ instead, i hope lego had this exact conversation when they were talking about bionicle's return, because the best ideas are here, unless lego has a even better one?!?!

I'm sure that every idea that's been suggested here has been brought up at one point or another when planning BIONICLE's return. It's a little bit foolish to say the best ideas are here. The LEGO Group knows better than any of us what works and what doesn't, because they have access to lots of information we don't (including specific sales data for BIONICLE sets and media, the number of viewers for specific BIONICLE web content, and of course everything the theme's creators have learned about creating a successful toyline since the theme ended).

I'm not saying a continuation could never be successful (in fact, I was very open to the possibility for a long time), but if the new BIONICLE is not a continuation, I hope I don't see anyone saying that the LEGO Group didn't try hard enough or didn't think as hard about their options as we did here. There are a lot of risks and challenges with a continuation. And even if you come up with a foolproof plan to compensate for those risks and challenges... it still might not be as efficient as giving EVERYONE (new and old fans alike) a fresh start with a reboot, thereby bypassing all the complicated backstory entirely. A reboot gives the LEGO Group complete control over the story and how the fans experience it, and that control is invariably reduced by tying it to a story that was written with an entirely different generation of kids in mind and was far from perfect anyway.

• Upvote 8

I'm sure that every idea that's been suggested here has been brought up at one point or another when planning BIONICLE's return. It's a little bit foolish to say the best ideas are here. The LEGO Group knows better than any of us what works and what doesn't, because they have access to lots of information we don't (including specific sales data for BIONICLE sets and media, the number of viewers for specific BIONICLE web content, and of course everything the theme's creators have learned about creating a successful toyline since the theme ended).I'm not saying a continuation could never be successful (in fact, I was very open to the possibility for a long time), but if the new BIONICLE is not a continuation, I hope I don't see anyone saying that the LEGO Group didn't try hard enough or didn't think as hard about their options as we did here. There are a lot of risks and challenges with a continuation. And even if you come up with a foolproof plan to compensate for those risks and challenges... it still might not be as efficient as giving EVERYONE (new and old fans alike) a fresh start with a reboot, thereby bypassing all the complicated backstory entirely. A reboot gives the LEGO Group complete control over the story and how the fans experience it, and that control is invariably reduced by tying it to a story that was written with an entirely different generation of kids in mind and was far from perfect anyway.

I doubt it is a reboot, unless it is a retelling.

A straight retelling would be perhaps the worst kind of reboot for the BIONICLE franchise. The answers to all the major mysteries could be spoiled with a simple Google search. The new fans who might have been most likely to enjoy the complexity of the BIONICLE storyline — the sort who love to engage with the storyline online with other fans, and who love following along with all the plot twists and unfolding mysteries, and who are always on the lookout for new story details and developments — would be the LEAST likely to enjoy a straight retelling, because anything surprising about the original story would be sucked out of the new one as soon as they started to connect with older fans.

Since Greg Farshtey himself seems to think a reboot is the best way to bring BIONICLE back, I'm surprised so many fans of the original storyline are skeptical of the idea. A reboot would be incredibly liberating for both the writers and fans of the new BIONICLE.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

What if LEGO was reading our posts for ideas?

• Upvote 1

A straight retelling would be perhaps the worst kind of reboot for the BIONICLE franchise. The answers to all the major mysteries could be spoiled with a simple Google search. The new fans who might have been most likely to enjoy the complexity of the BIONICLE storyline — the sort who love to engage with the storyline online with other fans, and who love following along with all the plot twists and unfolding mysteries, and who are always on the lookout for new story details and developments — would be the LEAST likely to enjoy a straight retelling, because anything surprising about the original story would be sucked out of the new one as soon as they started to connect with older fans.

Since Greg Farshtey himself seems to think a reboot is the best way to bring BIONICLE back, I'm surprised so many fans of the original storyline are skeptical of the idea. A reboot would be incredibly liberating for both the writers and fans of the new BIONICLE.

I completely 100% doubt it is a straight reboot. After all, Lord of not-to-be-named never appeared in the first run of BIONICLE, unless it was and I just wasn't told about it...

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I seriously doubt it. Using ideas from here comes with the hassle of giving us credit. It's why Greg doesn't read fanfics, because if he took an idea out of one of those and put it in one of his books, he would have to give credit to the writer for the concept. 

• Upvote 1

I seriously doubt it. Using ideas from here comes with the hassle of giving us credit. It's why Greg doesn't read fanfics, because if he took an idea out of one of those and put it in one of his books, he would have to give credit to the writer for the concept.

On top of that, the only ideas they could potentially find any use in are ones that could be applied months (or more likely, years) down the line. The set and story concepts for the first half of 2015 are almost certainly complete by this point in time.

And, of course, Lego has the resources to come up with ideas based on focus groups and sales data—much more relevant metrics for what succeeds and what doesn't than a small periphery demographic bouncing ideas off each other with no idea what's already been decided upon.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I completely 100% doubt it is a straight reboot. After all, Lord of not-to-be-named never appeared in the first run of BIONICLE, unless it was and I just wasn't told about it...

lord of ***** ******* could be the things from bionicle web of shadow, i am having a brain block and cannot remeber their names.

lord of ***** ******* could be the things from bionicle web of shadow, i am having a brain block and cannot remeber their names.

Visorak? Whether the new story is a reboot or continuation I heavily doubt they would be the main villains for Bionicle 2015. 

If the story is a reboot on the island of Mata-Nui I would imagine that the whole "rahi conflict" would be the theme of this first wave, except they're replacing the rahi with just spiders and giving (possibly) a larger villain in charge (though I would suspect Makuta to be the overarching villain pulling strings from behind the scenes).

• Upvote 2

Are we allowed to post the infamous Bionicle 2015 image after Lego has released the line officially?

I'd suggest we avoid any images that were leaked for now, since all we really have official confirmation of is that Bionicle is returning and that there is a golden mask or head in it.

Also someone already beat you to the punch with your avatar.

Are we allowed to post the infamous Bionicle 2015 image after Lego has released the line officially?

I'd suggest we avoid any images that were leaked for now, since all we really have official confirmation of is that Bionicle is returning and that there is a golden mask or head in it.

Also someone already beat you to the punch with your avatar.

No beating to any punch - I feel everyone should change their avatar in celebration of this wonderful official news. :P Also I was scanning the active members and I'm pretty sure RahkshiToa88 was a solid second. :P

Also just throwing it out there the Kanohi is awesome! The logo and the image look very much of what I'd want stylistically from a return to Bionicle and leads me to speculate we won't be having a straight reboot. I say this based on very little, but the fact the style and Kanohi are so familiar make me think they're going to keep a lot of roots in there and stay true to series. If anything, it look more Bionicle-like than some of the later years (and by Bionicle like I mean like earlier Bionicle :P). I definitely think the mask is a legendary Kanohi and I really do hope it is specifically the mask of creation because a) I've always wanted it :P and b) it's an awesome power I want to see in action and c) it might mean some Artakha action. All in all very hype. :D

• Upvote 1
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

guys, seriously?  That has GOT to be an accident in coding.  There is no way Lego is bringing Bionicle back.  Bionicle is over, and the sooner you accept that, the sooner we can move on.

.....I'll be surprised if anyone read that and took me seriously.  Bionicle 2015 is coming!

#Bionicle 2015

And that is the first and last time I ever use a hashtag, so enjoy it.

Also, this mask looks nothing like the leaked image mask.  What's up with that?

• Upvote 1

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Also, this mask looks nothing like the leaked image mask. What's up with that?

No one has said that they are one and the same mask...

It could be that one transforms into the other, though. Personally I think due to the writing in the background it's a gold-colored Mask of Conjuring. 

I doubt it's the Mask of Creation, because we've already had a description of it, and it doesn't look like that - it's colorful and has pictures of cultures and runes and stuff.

And who says it's a mask? Could just be a fancy Glatorian helmet... 

• Upvote 2

Aw man.  Someone already put that image on BS01.

Also, can we discuss the leaked images now?  I'm tired of B2015 being the "mystery-king of know-nothingness". --Lewa, Tale of the Toa.

• Upvote 1

So since we now have an official topic for this, does this one need to stay open? It's no longer a rumor that Bionicle is coming back next year, so do we even need this topic anymore?

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

So since we now have an official topic for this, does this one need to stay open? It's no longer a rumor that Bionicle is coming back next year, so do we even need this topic anymore?

I agree.  This topic has grown too big and unwieldly.  Let's close this topic and transfer further discussion to the OFFICIAL B2015 topic, and then let's all post excitedly and make that one big and unwieldly!  I like that idea. :)

• Upvote 1