Metallic Bones?

Over in the Chat with Greg Farshey topic at Lego.com, Greg has often denied ever stating Glatorian and Agori have metallic bone structures as is written on BS01. So I was wondering, where was this written? Was there actually a statement in a book? If so, where? Or is Greg right and it's just a misconception that found its way into canon?

If I remember well, that was introduced to explain why bone weapons could stand against metal weapons.

And I think the BSS had to get approval from Greg before canonizing something, so...

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

I think Greg sometimes forgets some of the answers he gives, especially when the question is about something relatively trivial and unimportant to the storyline. Of course, he could also have changed his mind.

And though BS01 can't officially canonnize something not approved by Greg, as mistake like that could still slip in, because it is a somewhat insignificant fact and can be easily missed. If it is a mistake.

Edited by V-N
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

He did approve it after a poll run by the Story Squad. It was based on the statement already in the story that the Agori often made weapons from bone, but the weapons all looked metallic in set and other forms. The idea was that it helped inspire the additions of metal implants, and metal skeletons (albeit artificial) in the Matoran.

I'm curious if you could show a quote where he denied it? Are you sure he didn't simply say something like that he wasn't the one that came up with it?

Edit: A search through Jag's file only gave this, which is about Matoran bones, not Agori:

Q) Do beings from MU have bones?
A) They have a metallic framework that serves the same purpose. They do not have organic bones.

Was it more recent than this?

Edit2: Figured out how to do a word search in the topic itself, searched "metallic bones" and "metal bones" (without the quotes, though). Here's the results, both questions from the same member:

Q: I seem to recall you stating that all SM inhabitants have a metallic bone structure. At least, that's what it says at BS01. Is that true? It should be true, given that the Glatorian's weapons are made from animal bones and thus had to have been metallic to survive a millenia, right?

A: I don't recall ever saying that, or that ever being discussed by the story team.

He did not deny it; he simply said he didn't recall it. But the questioner appears to have made the old mistake of taking a non-confirmation as denial in his next question:

4) Earlier, you said that the Spherus Magna inhabitants do not have metallic bone structures. But the Glatorian's weapons are made out of animal bones. If they weren't metallic, then how could they have lasted a millenia? If they were composed of organic elemens, they probably would've broken down relatively soon.

I didn't find any answer from Greg to this. He answered other questions by the same member posted after this but apparently missed this post or didn't have anything to add.

The only other hit I got was from another member commenting that metal bones make sense due to the "extreme gravity" of SM, but there is no evidence the gravity is any higher than Earth's (if it was, dropping something should make it fall much faster for example).

So, unless those search terms missed something, I'm not convinced there were any denials, let alone repeated. :shrugs:

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Q) I read somewhere (BS01 probably) that the Agori/Glatorian have metallic skeletons….

A) I don't recall us ever stating they had metallic skeletons. They sometimes have mechanical enhancements, but they are by mature organic beings. They are not bio-mechanical like Toa are.

Page 279 Post 14

I think this is the quote you're looking for; it was made like a few days after I made my first file.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Q) I read somewhere (BS01 probably) that the Agori/Glatorian have metallic skeletons….

A) I don't recall us ever stating they had metallic skeletons. They sometimes have mechanical enhancements, but they are by mature organic beings. They are not bio-mechanical like Toa are.

Page 279 Post 14

I think this is the quote you're looking for; it was made like a few days after I made my first file.

Heh, didn't think to search for "skeletons". Clearly he forgot; what he approved was that the bones are naturally very metallic; it wasn't meant to say they were biomechanical. (So like how our blood is rich in iron, a metal, but is still fully organic and natural.)

Edit: I searched for that. Found only one other result not mentioned yet:

If BS01 is stating that Glatorian/Agori have metal skeletons, that is not accurate so far as I recall.

But again, note the "so far as I recall"; not a denial, just an admission that he doesn't remember approving it. Considering it was several years ago and the record was lost with the loss of the archives (other than BS01's record of it), pretty understandable.

Also, "metal skeletons" wasn't the exact wording, but "metallic" (and it was clarified that this needn't mean entirely metallic).

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)