Maku's Diary

Master Inika

makusdiary.png

makusdiary1.png

Maku's Diary Entry 1: “Summer in Ga-Koro”

Dear Diary,

Summer is the best time to be in Ga-Koro. All the prettiest plants are in bloom, there are beautiful Rahi birds in the sky and fish in the sea, and everybody just seems to be happier. It even feels like the darkness of Makuta is kept at bay by the sun’s light. I like to think that, if the Toa ever come to save us like the Prophecies say, they will come in summer.

I was sitting on the beach today looking at the rock formation that overlooks the village. According to the Prophecies, Toa Gali, the Toa of Ga-Koro, will wear the Mask of Water Breathing, so my people carved the mask into the rock wall so we would always remember salvation will come. I had my stone tablet and carving tool and was writing what I think will happen when the Toa arrive. My final product was something like this:

Kopaka turned away from Gali, trying to hide his expression.

“Why, my brother?” Gali asked. “Why can we not be together?” Her eyes pleaded as did her trembling mouth.

“Because …” the Toa of Ice said uneasily. “There is … another. Her name is Maku.”

Behind her mask, Gali shed a single tear. No more, though, for she loved Kopaka enough to know that her beloved would be happier with the more beautiful, graceful Ga-Matoran villager.

“I understand,” Gali whispered. “I hope you’re happy with her.” Gali hoped her words didn’t sound sour, because she did mean it in earnest.

To her relief, Kopaka replied, “Thank you, Gali.” He continued, “You are a wonderful girl. But it’s just …” The Toa of Ice wanted to make Gali understand, but he knew he would have to word it carefully.

“You don’t need to explain,” Gali insisted. “Maku is prettier, more enchanting, and wiser than I could ever hope to be. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll be half as much of a woman as she is one day.”

Unfortunately, I had to be back at the village to help Turaga Nokama before I could get to the part where I save all the Toa and Turaga from a two-headed Muaka while blindfolded with just my bare hands and cunning wits. Last summer I procrastinated finishing my Chronicles, and summer ended and I just didn’t have the inspiration anymore. I’ll finish my Chronicles this summer for sure!

makusdiary2.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Hahli is so Shy!

Word Count: 397

This is a revival of one of my very first BZPower comedies, also titled Maku's Diary. I revived the concept seeking to make an anime-style slice-of-life BIONICLE story. Expect weekly updates, C & C is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I didn't know Macku was such a crazy-in love Matoran haha

Hewkii has got to appear in her diary someday, will he not?

Yes, Huki will appear very soon.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary3.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 2: “Hahli is so Shy!”

Dear Diary,

I’m seeing Huki tomorrow! It’s been such a long time, I’ve thought of him every single night since our last meeting, but I’m still worried he’s changed in some way and we won’t connect on the deep level we did when I visited him last week. I’m canoeing over for our weekly Koli match. He always wins, but only because he has a really cute “I’m playing Koli!” face that distracts me.

I was walking through the village square on my way to see Nokama when I saw Hahli walking by the edge, probably looking for materials for Flax (I think that’s what she does).

I remembered that Jala, the Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard, would be in Po-Koro, too, and I realized that if Hahli came with Kotu and me, we could have a three-on-three with Huki, Jala, and Hafu. I called to her, “Hey, Hahli?”

The seemed surprised, and I realized I should have been quieter. She looked at her feet and replied, “Oh, um, hi Maku.”

I reached her and asked, “I’m going to Po-Koro for a Koli match tomorrow, you want to come?”

Hahli, quieter now, said, “Oh, no, sorry. I’m, uh, I’m not that good at Koli … I’d probably just mess up and lose the match.”

“Please? If we win or lose, it’ll still be super fun!” I promised. “Jala’s going to be there, and if you come –”

“Jala’s going to be there?” Hahli said as her head sprang up with a worried look in her eyes. “Oh, I couldn’t possibly go, I just couldn’t … I haven’t polished my mask, or anything!”

I knew I shouldn’t pressure her to come. “Okay, maybe some other time?”

Hahli pushed past me with an “Um, maybe, sorry.”

I kept walking and came upon Nokama’s hut. We took care of our original business, something about extending the Ruki season, and just when I would have left, I asked, “Do you know Hahli?”

“The Assistant Flax-maker?” Nokama relied. “Yes, I know all my good villagers.”

“Do you think that she’d be any good at Koli?”

Nokama, in her wisdom, replied, “I think that whatever made you bring up Hahli goes beyond a simple game. To any issue regarding her, I would say: Do not underestimate her because of her quietness. Show her friendship, and you will be rewarded. She does her Duty diligently, and her Destiny may be greater than her status would suggest.”

“Thank you, Turaga Nokama,” I said as I bowed and left. My mind was made: Hahli was going to play Koli with us tomorrow!”

makusdiary4.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Koli with Huki

Word Count: 433

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary5.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 3: “Koli with Huki”

Dear Diary,

That Hahli can be so stubborn! She wouldn’t come with us to Po-Koro no matter how many times we asked her. It was just Kotu and I against the boys. Actually, it seemed like she almost said yes a few times, but backed out when we mentioned Jala. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that she has a crush on him! I can’t imagine what she could see in a Matoran like Jala. He’s no fun at all, always working. He didn’t even want to play Koli!

Still, I knew not every Ga-Matoran could be lucky enough to find a boy like Huki, so I tried to subtly give Jala some hints when I saw him. He was marching with some other Ta-Koro Guards on my way through the desert. I told Kotu to wait for me and said, “Hey, Captain Jala?”

Jala didn’t stop walking, but he did say very cordially, “Hail, civilian.”

I kept walking after him and asked, “So, will you be stopping in Ga-Koro anytime soon?”

He looked at me, puzzled, and said, “No, is there any trouble?”

I told him, “No, not if you mean Rahi attacks or anything, but I have this friend, see, and she, um, she …”

His warm smile vanished as he stopped and said, “Listen ma’am, I’m a busy Matoran. I’m sure she’s a wonderful girl, but the island just can’t afford for me to make that kind of a commitment. Got it?”

He turned forward and resumed his march without waiting for my reply. Kotu was waiting for me at the gates of Po-Koro.

“How did it go?” she asked.

I told her, “Well, he doesn’t seem receptive, but he’ll warm up to Hahli if I can just get them together. She’s really cute when she’s not being stubborn!”

We went into the village to the Koli Field where Huki and Hafu were waiting for us.

“Maku, Kotu, we were getting worried,” Huki said. He was thinking about us! I smiled and hugged him immediately.

Kotu explained, “We were trying to get one of our friends to come so that Jala could play Koli, too.”

“Jala, play Koli?” Huki said with a scoff. “Don’t hold your breath. He’d have to put down that spear and shield and start being fun first!”

“Well …” I started, “it might not have been just for Koli.”

“Ooh, trying to fix Jala up with one of your friends?” Hafu asked. “Come on, tell us who!”

“She wouldn’t want us to,” I said. “You probably don’t know her, anyway. She’s sort of shy. But she and Jala would be really cute together! If I could only get them to talk to each other.”

Our Koli match was really fun. Huki and Hafu won, as usual. I’ll beat them one day! Kotu said I was distracted by Huki as usual, but really, I was thinking about Jahli (that’s my couple name for Jala and Hahli). I just feel like, somehow, it’s my Destiny to bring those loveRama together, even if I have to drag them to each other!

makusdiary6.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Very Funny, Kotu!

Word Count: 517

Sorry for the delay for this entry. New entries will be published every Monday and Thursday now.

• Like 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary7.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 4: “Very Funny, Kotu!”

Dear Diary,

By the Great Beings, I literally almost died of shock today! I had just woken up and was stepping out of my hut to begin my day, and guess what I saw. All my friends were waiting outside, with Infected Masks!

I freaked out. How could Makuta’s dark power have gotten into the village and Infected everyone in just one night? I backed away to the edge of my lily pad and was ready to swim for it.

Shasa was the one who gave the whole thing away when she started laughing. Then, all of them were laughing, and I realized their masks weren’t Infected, they were painted. Even Hahli was in on it!

Then, Kotu shouted from the crowd, “We got you, Maku!”

My heart was still racing, but I laughed anyway and said, “Yeah, I guess you did.”

She told me, “Give me your mask; I’ll paint over it and we’ll scare the protodermis out of Nokama!”

It seemed like a bad idea to prank the Turaga, but I gave Kotu my mask anyway. Kailani made the paint out of seaweed. It was very convincing! Kotu always goes all out when she pulls a prank. My mask was “Infected” in no time. We all stood around Turaga Nokama’s hut and waited until she came out. She flinched and almost fell into the water!

She was mad when she realized what we were doing, though. But she only called me and Kotu into her hut! She went on for a bit about how as, as her Hand Matoran, needed to “set examples” and “rise above simple tomfoolery,” but it didn’t drag on for too long.

After she let us out, Kotu whispered to me, “Next week, we’re going to move Marka’s boat to the other side of the village before she wakes up. You in?”

I quickly replied, “You know it!”

makusdiary8.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Happy Anniversary, Hafu and Kailani!

Word Count: 314

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary9.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 5: “Happy Anniversary, Hafu and Kailani!”

Dear Diary,

Hafu and Kailani are the couple everyone in Ga-Koro likes to gossip about (except me and Huki, of course). They’ve been together for 150 years as of today, longer than even Huki and I. They’re so different, too. Kailani is such a nurturing spirit. Unless you get in the way of her and Hafu, that is. Hafu is, well, a braggart, but he means well. They don’t even like any of the same things and still have never had a single fight! But their picture-perfect love story might be over, I’m afraid. I went to Kailani’s hut first thing in the morning. Hafu was supposed to come by at around noon for the party. Kailani was sitting outside her hut with something in her lap.

I said, “Hey Kailani, are you excited?”

She jumped. I probably scared her. She looked distraught. What she had in her lap were some rocks and a pickaxe.

“Maku, help me!” she pleaded. “I’m trying to make Hafu a carving of himself. I know he’d love it. I tried paying attention when he showed me all those times, but I just can’t get it right!”

I said to her, “Calm down, I’ll help you. How hard can carving possibly be? It’s a really sweet idea. What do you have so far?”

Kailani shyly held out both of her hands. In one hand was a large piece of rock that vaguely looked like Hafu’s body and in the other a smaller piece that vaguely looked like his head.

I frowned and said, “Okay, um, do you have any more rocks we could work with?”

She led me inside her hut where she had several more. We sat down around one of them and I took the pickaxe.

“Huki’s taught me a little bit about carving,” I said as I carefully eyed the stone, holding it in place with one hand. I brought the pickaxe down and it, well, broke in three. “I’m still learning,” I said, laughing in a way I knew was awkward.

Kailani angrily knocked the rocks away. “This is terrible! He probably carved me something amazing like he always does, and I have nothing for him. I know I always say 150 was the milestone I was looking most forward to, but I didn’t think he’d leave me on the very day …”

I hugged her and said, “Hafu isn’t going to leave you, Kailani. He loves you. You’re also so doting to him, he practically has to.”

That must not have been the best thing to say, because she stood up and went outside.

“Oh, Kailani, are you okay?” The voice outside was Kotu’s.

“No!” Kailani shouted. “Our anniversary is ruined.”

I stepped outside as Kotu said, “Oh, you already knew about the storm?”

“What storm?” I asked.

“There’s a huge storm passing along between Ga-Koro and Po-Koro right now. We don’t think Hafu will be able to make it today,” she explained.

Kailani slumped down and said, “It’s for the best. It’s one more day I won’t have to face him with no anniversary present. I just wanted this year’s to be special.”

I wish I had more to write, but that’s all that happened. Kailani spent all day stressing over it, but none of us could think of what to do. I just hope Hafu will understand. He has to.

makusdiary010.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: The Best Gift Ever

Word Count: 562

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Why Hafu x Kailani? That never ever existed in the Bionicle Canon,nor has ever been hinted.

Kailani's design (all light blue with a Noble Ruru) somehow looks "soft" to me, so I made her a Nadeshiko (ideal Japanese wife). I made Hafu her boyfriend because Hafu was the only other Po-Matoran (aside from Ahkmou) that already had an established personality, and it didn't contradict the idea of her being in love with Kailani.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary011.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 6: “The Best Gift Ever”

Dear Diary,

Kailafu (that’s my name for Kailani and Hafu) is the cutest couple ever! I love Huki, but what Hafu did was just the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen. Okay, I guess I should start from the beginning.

I woke up early to check on Kailani. She was asleep near a pile of rocks outside her hut. She must have been up all night trying to get it right. Close to her was a piece of rock that looked somewhat more like Hafu than any of the others.

“Kailani, are you sleeping?” I whispered.

She gasped and I heard her tiredly whisper, “Hafu? I’m not done …” Then she seemed to register my voice and she held her head up, looked at me, and said, “Oh, hi Maku.”

“How are you doing?”

She sighed and held up the least bad carving. Sensing what she wanted to do, I grabbed it before she could throw it off of the lily pad. “Kailani, you’ve been with Hafu for 150 years now. Hafu would be so happy just knowing how hard you’re working for him.”

She looked out toward Po-Koro and replied, “I know, but I want … I don’t know what I want to do. But I need to make him happy … or, happier.”

I heard someone else approach. Kotu’s voice said, “Hey, Kailani?”

“What?” she snapped. We both looked and Hafu was there, soaking wet, with Kotu.

Kailani stood up and said, “Oh, Hafu! I-I, um … how are you here?”

He held up a small piece of debris. “I tried boating through the storm, but that wasn’t really a good idea … I was able to use whatever part of the ship this used to be as a kickboard and get to Ta-Wahi, where I made my way here. By land, as you can assume.”

“That’s … so nice of you, Hafu,” Kailani said. “I love you.”

Hafu walked up to Kailani and embraced her. “I love you, too.” He continued, “I made you a carving, but it got lost in the storm.” He handed her his kickboard and said, “I wish I had more to give such a great girl, but, well, I just don’t. Forgive me?”

Kailani took her present and looked at me. I remembered I was holding her carving and handed it to her. She looked at Hafu and he took it.

“Did you carve this?” he asked. She shyly nodded and he said, “Nod bad. We need to work on your form, though.”

For the first time in what felt like forever, Kailani smiled. They both embraced again as all the other Ga-Matoran collectively went “Aww!”

I would have been among them, but the whole ordeal gave me a great idea for my Chronicles! I ran back to my hut and took my chisel and rock and began to write:

Kopaka had finally thought of the perfect “Be My Girlfriend and Become a Toa with Me” present for his one true love, the humble Ga-Matoran Maku: a necklace made from pearls found at the bottom of Gali’s Bay! He wanted Maku to know just how much he loved her. He would present it to her and learn how to make her a Toa, too. Then, everything would be perfect!

Kotu told me there’s no way a Matoran could turn into a Toa, but I tried to tell her it was a metaphor for my becoming Kopaka’s girl. Kotu said it was still a crazy idea, so we asked Nokama. She found a middle ground as usual, saying that the idea was insane, but it works as a fanciful dream that could never be.

makusdiary012.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Visit from the Guard

Word Count: 610

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

These have all been very entertaing to read; stories that are told from such an innocent, friendly point of view are often rare, and this comedy nails that feeling perfectly.

Why Hafu x Kailani? That never ever existed in the Bionicle Canon,nor has ever been hinted.

This comedy isn't canon, though. It's a piece of fan fiction, and so it can use non- canon elements as much as it wants. It never promised to keep to the canon exactly, and I would say that it's all the better for that. Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Kailani's design (all light blue with a Noble Ruru) somehow looks "soft" to me, so I made her a Nadeshiko (ideal Japanese wife). I made Hafu her boyfriend because Hafu was the only other Po-Matoran (aside from Ahkmou) that already had an established personality, and it didn't contradict the idea of her being in love with Kailani.

Kaliani was a generic(Not an Insult) Ga-Matoran.Also Takua is still poking around in there.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Kaliani was a generic(Not an Insult) Ga-Matoran.Also Takua is still poking around in there.

She sort of was. The Matoran in MNOG II had more personality, in design and speech, than in MNOG I. I decided against using Takua because I've seen loose references to him and Nixie and see no need to go against that. Plus, I think Kailani (in my imagining of her as a doting housewife-type) and cocky Hafu have a more interesting dynamic.

Edited by Master Inika
  • Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary013.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 7: “Visit from the Guard”

Dear Diary,

Someday, when Jahli (that’s my name for Jala and Hahli; I’m making them for everyone) is the cutest couple on Mata Nui, they will thank me for preserving the events of this day.

Until noon, everything was normal. I and the other Ga-Matoran worked our daily jobs. Kotu had gotten up early and switched around all of the locations on Nireta’s maps as a prank. Turaga Nokama got mad, but Kotu knows Nireta checks all her maps each morning, and she helped her change them all back, so nobody was harmed. Hahli gathered her Flax materials and avoided everyone except Amaya, her work partner, as usual. She did nod at me when we passed, so I think I’m making leeway with her!

Anyway, the day got really exciting when a huge boat full of Ta-Koronan Guards pulled up. All of them except Jala stayed on. The Captain got out and arranged with Marka to let his ship be for ten minutes. He walked into Nokama’s hut and exited a few minutes later. This happens every week or so. Nokama says he’s monitoring the frequency of Rahi attacks. But that’s not what made today special. This is the amazing part:

When Jala stepped out, Hahli happened to be walking by on her way to the East Garden for more supplies! They almost bumped into each other, but unfortunately, Jala changed direction before they did.

“Hail, civilian,” he said without stopping.

“Oh, Jala! Um, h-hi …” was Hahli’s response. I’ve got to teach her how to really get a Matoran’s attention!

Jala went back on his ship and sailed off to the next village. Hahli continued her path toward the East Garden. I snuck up on her and said, “Hey Hahli, nice job!”

She jumped and said, “Jala? Oh, um, what do you mean Maku?”

“I mean with Jala back there. Guys love the ‘scared little Ussal crab’ act. You make it look so natural!”

“Well, it sort of is natural, Maku,” Hahli replied, and I realized she might have misinterpreted by compliment.

“In that case, even better! Did your eyes meet? Did you get Lightning Bugs in your armor?” I asked her, trying to lighten the mood.

“I got really nervous, if that’s what you mean. Our eyes only met for a second, and then I got scared and looked at my feet … Was that what happened when you met Huki?”

I laughed and looked back in my memories. “Oh, the first time I met Huki … Wow, it was … You know, maybe it would do you good to hear that story.”

makusdiary014.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Koli Match of Love

Word Count: 435

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So, does Maku have a crush on Kopaka *and* Huki? :???: Or is the Kopaka deal just for fun? I have a feeling that Huki wouldn't appreciate sharing Maku's attention with the great Ice Toa.

Kopaka's her celebrity crush. Huki realizes Kopaka would probably never date her and lets Maku have her fantasy.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So, does Maku have a crush on Kopaka *and* Huki? :???: Or is the Kopaka deal just for fun? I have a feeling that Huki wouldn't appreciate sharing Maku's attention with the great Ice Toa.

Kopaka's her celebrity crush. Huki realizes Kopaka would probably never date her and lets Maku have her fantasy.

"enter epic plot twist where Maku becomes a Toa after Huki does, and she has to choose between the two"

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuuunnnnn!!! :popcorn:

• Upvote 2

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Posted technically on Monday!

makusdiary015.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 8: “Koli Match of Love”

Dear Diary,

I told Hahli the story of the first time Huki and I met. It’s a tale almost as thrilling as the Legend of Mata Nui. Turaga Nokama wouldn’t let me use the Amaja Circle, though.

It wasn’t during the summer that we met. Winter had actually just begun. In winter, all the fish and birds of Ga-Koro swim and fly for a warmer environment. We have to rely on the other villages for support. This hadn’t been the first winter I’d accompanied a transport barge to Po-Koro to pick up some supplies and leave the payment, the last batch of fresh fish for the season. As Turaga Nokama’s Right Hand, I was to oversee the transaction. The only other Matoran with me was Pelagia, the sailor. This was, however, the first time our ship was sprang a leak and forced us to beach the vessel to keep the fish safe.

“Hey, we’re playing a game here!” were the first words I heard from Huki’s rugged voice. Pelagia and I rushed to the edge to find that we’d rammed over the goal post of a Koli field.

“Oh, sorry!” was my reaction.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have put your field so close to the water!” Pelagia shouted.

The commotion had brought Turaga Onewa, the leader of Po-Koro, to the beach.

“What happened?” he demanded. I tried to explain the situation, but Pelagia, Huki, and the other Koli players kept shouting over me.

“Quiet, all of you!” Onewa sternly barked. “Right Hand, speak.”

“Well, Turaga, our boat was leaking. We had to beach it or else it would have sunk! We didn’t even notice the goal post.”

“That may be true, but why would you not have checked for leak risks before setting sail?” he asked. “In Po-Koro, we have one way for dealing with disputes like this: Koli. You and the sailor shall play Huki and a partner of his choice on our main field in the village. If you win, we will forgive your thoughtlessness and encroachment on our land. If not, we will claim your fish without compensation to pay for the damages.”

I looked at Pelagia. She was as scared as I was. Though I’ve always had my fit, athletic body, at the time, I’d never touched a Koli stick in my life! Huki looked and nodded to Hafu, another Koli champion. It was over. What were we going to tell Nokama?

Huki and Hafu should have torn through us. But Huki threw the match to help us. I just know it. Hafu must have realized what was going on, too. I spent most of the game time chasing the ball while Huki shot it at Pelagia’s goal. She’s a good sailor, but not an athlete at all. Huki must have been aiming for the rim, because it bounced off every time.

In the last minute, with the score zero-to-zero, Huki kicked it straight through the goal posts – his own! Hafu ducked out of the way and let the ball sail in unopposed.

Huki put his hand to his forehead, feigning disbelief. “Sorry, Hafu! This sun must have been getting to me.”

“Don’t worry, Huki, it happens to all of us,” the Po-Koronan goalkeeper replied.

Huki walked right up to me. “Well, you got us. Hafu and I will go get the supplies we owe you.”

“Th-Thanks …” I said, still having trouble believing it. “Thanks for everything.”

He walked away and shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about, all right?”

Onewa was flabbergasted as Huki and Hafu took the supplies we were owed through the gates of Po-Koro. He declared a new rule on the spot: own goals don’t count.

makusdiary016.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Nixie’s Prediction

Word Count: 615

Edited by Master Inika
  • Like 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary017.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 9: “Nixie’s Prediction”

Dear Diary,

Whenever Nixie thinks she’s learned something about the future, all of us listen. Today was no different. Everyone, even Turaga Nokama, surrounded the astrologer’s hut as she stepped out.

“I have extensively studied the Wall of Stars above our village, and they have told me of what awaits us in the future. They tell me that a great storm will soon devastate Ga-Koro, one that we could not hope to weather. We will only survive by taking refuge elsewhere.”

This was shocking news indeed! We chattered uneasily amongst ourselves for a moment.

“Where could we all go?” Kotu asked.

It was Nokama who spoke next. “We could not ask one village to accommodate all of us. We must divide ourselves into five groups to spread the burden evenly among our brothers.”

We arranged ourselves into five equal groups. Using my authority as one of Nokama’s Hands, I made sure I was with Hahli. I wished Kotu could have been in our group, too, but Nokama decreed that it was best to divide the village leadership among the groups. Kotu and I were assigned to oversee separate groups while Nokama headed the third, Nixie the fourth, and Amaya the fifth.

By luck, Nokama allowed me the first choice as to where my group would travel to. I selected Ta-Koro, to the surprise of all.

“I thought for sure you’d pick Po-Koro,” a Matoran in my group, Okoth, commented.

“And why is that?” I asked defensively.

“Well,” she replied “you go off to Po-Koro every chance you get to see Huki, but you’re not taking us there now that Nokama’s letting you go anywhere on the island.”

“Okoth, enough of that!” I snapped, trying to sound authoritative. “You didn’t really think I’d let my personal attachments get in the way of how I operate as a leader, did you?”

I must have shocked her, because Okoth backed down when I said that. Good thing, too; I was starting to worry that I’d have to admit I was using Nixie’s prediction as an excuse to get Hahli and Jala talking!

makusdiary018.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: Waiting out the Storm

Word Count: 349

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary019.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 10: “Waiting out the Storm”

Dear Diary,

My group reached Ta-Koro midmorning the next day. We must have looked so out of place, so many shades of blue among the reds and blacks of Ta-Koro’s volcanic landscape. We probably looked like a tidal wave surging through the village.

As out-of-place as we must have appeared, the Ta-Matoran welcomed us politely. We were given the spare huts to the side of the village. After our brief welcome, most of the Ta-Matoran went back to their daily lives. Turaga Vakama, the leader of Ta-Koro, stayed behind with his two Hands: Kapura and Jala.

“We welcome you to our village,” the Turaga said. “We hope the Great Beings limit the damage to come to your village, and that you find your stay hospitable.”

Vakama said a few more words like that until I remembered that I was acting leader. I started listening again just in time to catch the end of his speech: “… weather this crisis through Unity, I am sure.”

I nodded and, imitating Nokama’s mannerisms as best I could, replied, “Thank you, Turaga. I assure you, this is only a temporary arrangement.”

Vakama and Kapura left. Jala stayed behind for another moment and glanced at Hahli. Instantly, I looked at my shy friend and noticed her, as I expected, covering her cheeks and looking down.

Jala walked back before I could work my matchmaker magic, unfortunately. My group unpacked and we started to realize just how hot Ta-Koro was.

“Everyone, um, how about we go to the beach and cool off?” I suggested. Everyone seemed to love that idea. We weren’t even done unpacking and everyone just grabbed some Koli stones and we were headed out toward the shore.

“Should we invite any of the Ta-Matoran to play with us?” Kailani asked.

“Great idea!” I said. This was the perfect opportunity for me to get Jala and Hahli together! “Hahli, want to come find some Ta-Matoran with me?”

I must still be advancing our friendship too fast, because she gasped and took a step back. “Wait, m-me?” she quivered.

“It would look weird if Maku asked a bunch of Ta-Matoran alone,” Kailani added while giving me a knowing look.

Hahli looked at her feet, and, after a moment of scouring her mind for an excuse, dejectedly said, “Al-Alright.”

We didn’t have to look far before we found Jala leading a Guard patrol. Hahli must have noticed them and anticipated my plan.

“They look pretty busy, Maku; we probably shouldn’t bother them,” she pleaded.

“It isn’t Rahi season, they’ll be able to take a break,” I assured her. Before she could protest, I waved to Jala and said, “Hey, you guys want to play some Koli?”

Jala replied, “Ma’am, my Guard and I have patrolled this beach at this hour every day for the past century. I understand you are our guests, but we can’t just throw our schedule to the wind for some silly game.”

I thought to myself, Wow, what does Hahli see in this axle-in-the-mud?

One of Jala’s Guards, Agni, stopped his march and said, “Well, I think it would be fun.”

Jala gave him a look icy as Ko-Wahi and barked, “Does forgoing our Duty for a simple Koli match sound ‘fun’ to anyone else?”

“Yeah!” all Jala’s comrades enthusiastically replied. I guess Jala had used his harsh tone for so long that his Guards eventually forgot it wasn’t his normal voice.

“Awesome, now we can to Fire vs. Water!” I said. I spared a look at Hahli and I could tell she was smiling wide under the hands covering her mask. This was perfect!

“Ugh,” Jala said with disgust. “Fine, we’ll take an organized break. Koli helps keeps us in shape, you know. But only one match, and then we’ll be back to our patrol, ma’am.”

We had a blast in our first match. Even though Ta-Matoran are stronger, we Ga-Matoran were agile enough to keep the Koli stone either between our players’ feet or between the goal posts the entire game. After I scored the winning goal, Jala came up to me, breathing heavily through an uncontrollable smile.

“Okay, ma’am, we’re not leaving on a defeat. One more match.”

We played many more Koli matches long into the night. Everyone had a blast. Hahli even crept out of the shadows long enough to score a goal of her own! That girl has a stronger arm than you’d think. Not that she’ll end up being a Koli prodigy or anything. That’s just crazy.

Eventually, we all got tired and realized our beach day was over. The Ta-Matoran helped us pack up and carry our things back to the village.

“That was … great training,” Jala said, back to his cordial self. “Thank you for inviting us, Maku.”

“You’re welcome!” I replied, overcome with joy. Jala had spent the whole afternoon and evening with Hahli! But what happened next wasn’t part of my plan at all.

Hahli appeared beside me and said, “Um, hey Jala. Did … Did you have fun?”

He smiled and said, “Yes, it was a much-needed morale boost.” I detected a hint of inner conflict in how he repositioned his arms before he said, “And it was a lot of fun. I hope we see each other soon.”

He nodded to us and walked back to his men. He shouted a hearty “Ten-hut!” and they left.

“Did you hear that, Hahli?” I whispered, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her. “He wants to see you soon!”

She seemed taken aback by my handling of her, which was understandable. I let go and apologized.

“It’s okay,” she said quietly. And then a smile forced its way onto her face and she said, half to herself and half to me, “Jala wants to see me again!”

It’s almost a shame we’re going back home tomorrow morning. In all our fun, we totally forgot about the storm and everything. I hope Ga-Koro is all right. No matter what, though, I think it was worth it for such a fun day. Hahli probably agrees with me, too.

makusdiary020.png

The Next Maku’s Diary: My Ice-cold Friend

Word Count: 1,014

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

That was funny. I liked the 'Yeah!' part.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

makusdiary021.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 11: “My Ice-cold Friend”

Dear Diary,

There had been no storm in Ga-Koro at all. We all came back to our village completely as we had left it. We just stared at our untouched village in awe. All of us except for Nixie, oddly enough. She just shrugged and said, “Oh well, even I have off days,” before retiring to her hut.

I stepped off my boat last and noticed Marka working to secure the five boats.

“Would you like any help?” I asked her.

“Sure,” she replied. “Double-check the boat that went to Le-Koro for me.”

I said, “All right,” and looked over it. The knots seemed strong enough, but I tightened them anyway. “So, funny how Nixie was totally off this time, right?”

“In an inconvenient way,” Nixie replied without looking up.

“You think so?” I asked her. “Hahli and I had fun in Ta-Koro.”

“My group went to Ko-Koro. It’s cold and the Ko-Matoran aren’t great hosts.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I said. Marka didn’t reply and I was running out of things to say. “So, um, the Le-Koro boat’s looking good.”

“Thanks,” she replied, still consumed in securing another boat.

After more silence, I said, “Well, bye then, I guess.”

“See you,” she said.

I visited Kotu, hoping to find a more engaging conversation partner. I found her floating in the water by her hut.

“Hey Hahli!” she said. “I’m just trying to get all the soot out of my joints. I don’t know how the Onu-Matoran keep their joints moving at all.”

“Oh, I know what you mean. Ta-Koro’s left something gravelly in my neck,” I replied. “Hey, um, have you ever talked to Marka?”

Kotu scoffed. “Marka? No, I hear the last girl who did is still missing.”

I tried to give her a scolding look. “Kotu, that’s not a nice thing to say.”

“It’s true,” Kotu said as she pulled herself out. “That girl’s about as likable as a hungry Takea.”

It was then that I realized Kotu would be no help at all. I went to Hahli’s hut next. I stepped in and waved.

She waved back with a, “Hi, Maku, thanks again for everything with Jala.”

I smiled and replied, “Don’t thank me; you’re the one who really did everything. Anyway, I need your help, do you know Marka?”

Hahli frowned. “Oh, her … She sort of scares me.”

I sighed. Hahli saw her the same way Kotu did, but unlike Kotu, Hahli was malleable.

“I think she just needs someone to talk to. I don’t think that gruffness if who she really is.”

Hahli looked at me skeptically. “What makes you think something like that?”

Without thinking, I said, “You used to act to shy, but that was never the real you. You’re a smart, friendly individual; you just needed someone to talk to you and help you. Marka is, basically, the polar opposite of you.”

Hahli looked at her feet, and then at me. “You’re right,” she said finally. “You’ve a lot smarter than you act, you know.”

“Thank you!” I said before I really thought about her comment. “Hey, wait …”

Hahli quickly suggested, “Um, should we go talk to Marka now?”

I decided to let her backhanded comment slide as we walked to the shipyards. Marka was hard at work, as I had left her.

“Hey again, Marka!” I called.

She looked up and said, “Sorry girls, the shipyards are closed for maintenance.”

“Do you need any more help?” I asked.

I could tell she was annoyed. “No, Maku, I … Gah, by the Great Beings!”

“What’s wrong?” Hahli asked.

“It’s nothing, I’m just out of Sailcloth. I’ll have to go to Le-Koro to buy some more,” she said as she started unfastening a boat.

“Would you like any company?” Hahli asked.

“No,” Marka said flatly.

Hahli said, under her breath, “Maybe you should just go back to Ko-Koro; you fit in there much better.”

I gave her a disapproving look, but before I could apologize, Marka moaned in annoyance and a little rejection.

“I didn’t ask you to come over here,” she hissed.

“Marka, it could be fun to go to Le-Koro,” I said, trying to steer the conversation back.

“Sorry Maku, I’m just not like that,” she said dejectedly.

“Did somebody say they’re going to Le-Koro?” Kotu, who had just appeared, said.

Marka rolled her eyes, no doubt unhappy to have another Matoran on her off-limits dock, and admitted, “Yes, I’m going there on business.”

Kotu smiled and said, “Business, you say? Would you like the Left Hand of Turaga Nokama to accompany you?” I knew what Kotu really wanted: a chance to see Tamaru, her Le-Matoran friend. She must have felt cheated after having to go to Onu-Koro after getting last choice when we thought the storm was coming.

“I’ll only be there for one night,” Marka said insistently.

“That’s all we’d need for a campout,” Hahli quietly said.

Marka sternly countered, “None of you can go!”

It was a difficult argument, but we eventually convinced/forced Marka to let us come. With the idea of a campout with Tamaru in her mind, Kotu couldn’t be stopped. Marka took the wheel and gave us all jobs to do, no doubt trying to keep us from talking to her. It was obvious, since she intended on going by herself before. When we set sail in the early afternoon, I took a look around the boat. Myself, Hahli, and Kotu on one boat with my ice-cold friend … Should I have not done this to her?

makusdiary022.png

The Final Maku’s Diary: Le-Koro Camping Trip!

Word Count: 924

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

makusdiary023.png

Maku’s Diary Entry 12: “Le-Koro Camping Trip!”

Dear Diary,

We arrived in Le-Wahi when the anchor snapped off its rope and we crashed into the dock. Marka wasn’t very happy.

“Maku, did you make sure the rope was secure like I asked?” she barked.

“Well …” I muttered, “I thought you were just giving us random things to do, to get us to leave you alone.”

Marka sighed and jumped off the side of the boat. “You’re lucky it’s still seaworthy.”

The two of us, along with Hahli and Kotu, stepped off and started walking through the forest. Our destination was the grand tree that held the village of Le-Koro above the swamp. It was Hahli who noticed the oncoming swarm of Nui-Rama, promoting us to take a break and stay low to avoid notice. Unfortunately for us, Nui-Rama hunt as much by smell as by sight and hearing, and though we stayed quiet under the forest canopy, nothing can mask the distinct smell of Matoran in a Rahi-filled swamp. I can only assume, at least.

One of the Nui-Rama broke off from the swarm and soared down for us. I hugged Hahli, too scared to talk. But then a bamboo disk flew out and knocked the Rahi right in its face! It returned to the swarm and kept flying.

A green body, one of the Le-Matoran, jumped from branch to branch before coming down before our group. It was Tamaru, the only reason Kotu came with us.

“Ocean-colored water-maidens shouldn’t foot-walk through Fau Swamp without scent-masker, or without Le-Koronan Wayfinder,” Tamaru said in the indecipherable code that was the Treespeak dialect.

Apparently, Kotu understood him. “We’re sorry; you’re right. Can you take us to Le-Koro? Marka needs some Sailcloth, and we’re having a campout after!”

“A campout? You know there’s nothing no Le-Matoran crave-loves more than after-light party-fun!”

Tamaru led us back to Le-Koro with ease, telling us about all the Nui-Rama hives we wouldn’t have seen. Marka got her Sailcloth without issue and Tamaru arranged shelter for us in the village square. He said all the stars would be out at night. It was still quite early.

“I guess I’ll go for a walk,” Marka said.

“We can all go!” Hahli suggested.

I pulled her aside and said, “I think we shouldn’t bother her.”

Hahli, confused, replied, “Um, okay then.”

Tamaru’s friend Kongu accompanied Marka, leaving me, Hahli, Kotu, and Tamaru.

“So why didn’t you want to go with Marka?” Hahli asked me after she left.

“I think she’s right. Maybe our enthusiasm to be friends with her bubbled over just a little.”

Kotu jumped in with, “Not my enthusiasm. I knew we were incompatible from the start.”

“All I’m saying is, maybe we don’t have to be her friends, maybe we could … I don’t know, maybe we could just be … acquaintances,” I said, trying to verbalize my thoughts.

“Sounds good to me,” Kotu said.

“Okay, I guess,” Hahli said uneasily.

Kongu and Marka stayed out pretty late. The stars were already out by the time they got back. They joined us in the village square and started stargazing with us.

“Welcome back,” I said.

“Thanks,” Marka replied.

We talked with each other a bit. Kotu and Marka didn’t talk to each other, but didn’t seem bothered by each other’s presence, which was a good thing. We all eventually fell asleep. I got jealous seeing Kotu with Tamaru, and for some reason, seeing Marka with Kongu. I was going to tell Hahli I missed Huki, but she probably read it on my face.

“I miss Jala, too,” she said when I looked at her.

I smiled. “This made me think of a pretty good story to add to my Chronicles when we get back.”

“But I thought you were going to finish them all before summer was over?”

“Yeah, that’s the plan.”

“Maku, summer ends tonight.”

After the terror went through my body, I dejectedly said, “Oh.”

Hahli laughed now. “You can start writing Chronicles for fall, maybe?”

“Maybe,” I replied. We both fell asleep not too long after that. Marka woke us all up early the next day to head back home. Something about catching the perfect tide. I felt kind of bad for crashing the ship, so I tried to get the others to listen to her and leave. Marka and Kotu said their goodbyes to Kongu and Tamaru and we sailed back. We might not have made a new friend out of Marka, but we had fun, and from Marka’s smile the way back, I think she might have, too.

makusdiary024.png

The End! <3

Word Count: 760

As of now, Maku's Diary is on indefinite hiatus, mainly due to lack of inspiration. I thank everyone who read and commented during its short run. It's been fun, but I'm out of ideas. I like to think I'll revive the diary (again), but even if I do, it won't be for a long time. Again, thank you, and I hope this story made you smile.

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Awwwww  :crying:  I'm sad to see it end, I enjoyed reading it a lot. You did an amazing job with it all, I do hope inspiration strikes sometime and you start writing again.  :begging:

But anyways... great job. I love Maku all the more now haha  :inlove: all those Ga-Matoran are just great :) Well done again!

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

• 1 year later...

This was a really great comedy to find! :) Thanks for all the work you put into it!

It really feels like you paint a picture of what everyday life in 2001 Mata Nui was like. There are a lot of subtle uses of information we only got in the later MNOLG II that help to flesh out the MNOLG I-era story. For example, I liked the joke about Hahli trying to make flax. :P

Another thing I really liked was the Kopaka-centered story within a story. Maybe it would have distracted us from the main narrative too much, but if you ever write more, I liked the subplot of Macku working on her own story! :)

Just a lot of creative ideas all around. Your story about the origin of Macku and Hewkii's getting together was great! It's very funny to imagine that Hewkii would have tossed a Koli game for Macku. I also liked your idea to pair up Kotu and Tamaru with their matching Raus, even if there wasn't much time left in the story to devote to them.

The last nice touch was the use of the Matoran language. It really adds an authentic feel to a great story!