Joske Nimil, He Who Walks In Legend

They

"Appearance similar to Toa Lhikan; deep red color with gold accents and armor, with a dash of orange and silver. Tall, built, muscular and athletic, his former bodybuilding and physical training translated during his transformation from Matoran to Toa. His is not large by any means, still on the smaller side, but needless to say his physique is that of a perfect physical specimen, and he works to keep it that way."

So goes the profile description of Toa Joske, Friar Tuck's signature character in the BZPRPG. After browsing the wiki for the game this morning and realizing there had been no art uploaded I took it upon myself to make something. Here's the result. Critique always is a fantastic way for me to improve, so feel free to throw down what you think I can work on. I was shooting toward a grungy/overly inked feel, heavy lines, etc.

320px-Joske_Nimil%2C_Speed_Sketch_by_Kug

(Click image for full resolution.)

I kind of liked drawing Joske. Maybe I'll go draw Cael now... Or both in the same sketch?

• Upvote 2

Given that you wanted to go for the grunge look I think it looks quite good overall. I like the way you did his mask, too. It looks like a cross between a Kakama and a Lhikan style Hau, which is appropriate. The Crystal Flamberge is nice, and I think the pose is done well.

With that said, I feel like you didn't quite hit the right colors. If you look at Lhikan's set you can clearly see that he has a much darker gold color, I also think his face looks a little scrunched up, it doesn't look like it was intentional in any event.

It's good work on the whole though, you're improving.

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

That helmet looks kind of like some Spartan variant from Halo, but I can't place exactly which. Probably coincidence.

I would like to say that I really like it, but I can't - not because of the execution, but because I've never liked the art style of painting Bionicles as being less set-like and less mechanical.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

That helmet looks kind of like some Spartan variant from Halo, but I can't place exactly which. Probably coincidence.

I would like to say that I really like it, but I can't - not because of the execution, but because I've never liked the art style of painting Bionicles as being less set-like and less mechanical.

Maybe the "Solider" variant from Halo 4?

It's always interesting and exciting to see the famous, enigmatic crystal flamberge realized visually... However, I think the blade appears rather short in this work, probably because the perspective you were shooting for wasn't realized obviously enough. On the other hand, I feel like the back calf tapers off a bit too dramatically, given its position and the width of the other one. If these were stylistic choices - which they easily could have been; I'm commenting from a more realistic standpoint - then disregard my notes. Cool work, keep growing the BZPRPG with art!

• Upvote 2

test2.png

Maybe the "Solider" variant from Halo 4?

I think it looks a bit more like the EOD armor variant's helmet.

Personally, while I think it looks very cool, the 'yellow' doesn't do it for me. When I looked at Joske, I imagined Lhikan's color, but from what I see the yellow you used looks a bit more like poster yellow, or neon/mcdonalds yellow, and that doesn't look as good as it could've been, IMO. Something I also think would've helped would be shadows and lighting effects. Most of the colors are specific shades and don't change; for example, the yellow on the inner thighs. These areas are usually in a bit of a shadow, so it looks a little bit weird without the darkening of colors in these areas to me, almost as though there's a bunch of lights shining at every single part of Joske.

• Upvote 1

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013