BZPower App?

I know BZP's forums take on a more mobile-device-friendly layout when accessed from my smartphone, but I was wondering if there were an app for BZP in general: forum access, news, reviews, social hub, etc. all in one convenient place. Mostly because BZP's front page is a hot mess when accessed from my device, lol.

And if there isn't, it's an idea. I couldn't put it into motion because computer science baffles me nor do I have much interest in learning. :P

Anyway, the question is, would you want to see BZP as an iOS/Android app? What kind of features would you want it to have?

• Upvote 5
WHAT'S UP, BUTTERCUP???

For what it's worth, a topic like this might be a good fit for the Tracker (which I guess you probably don't know about since you just came back to BZP) as a suggestion.

But more related to the idea at hand - a little searching suggests that Than and Watashi Wa played with the idea a couple years back, but it never got off the ground, maybe in part thanks to IPB's decent mobile forum layout. I can definitely see how the front page would be a nightmare on mobile, though. Not that it's spectacular on desktop either

I guess it boils down to a question of effort needed vs. people's wants for one - it'd take quite a bit of work to make a good, non-buggy mobile app (across multiple platforms, to boot), and it seems like just making a more mobile-friendly front page coupled with the default IPB mobile stuff for the forums might be a more efficient way to make the site well-usable on mobile.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 1

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It would probably be better if they just fixed the front page in general, seeing as the IPB thing generally works otherwise. :shrugs: (Considering that a BZP app would likely mimic an IPB app to a T so much that copyright infringement/license violation stuff would be going on...:shrugs:)

Edited by fishers64

UBike: no, it should load automatically on mobile, but if it doesn't there's a link in the very bottom left of the pager that says "use mobile version"

Not exactly, but there is a button that says "Change theme" and you can select the mobile skin there.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I'd like this too, but I don't foresee it happening soon (not on iOS, in any case. Android and Windows, maybe.).

There's the IPB app, but it doesn't get good reviews. I haven't personally tried it out, though.

Why would Android and Windows get an app and not iOS? :P

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I'd like this too, but I don't foresee it happening soon (not on iOS, in any case. Android and Windows, maybe.).

There's the IPB app, but it doesn't get good reviews. I haven't personally tried it out, though.

-Gata signoff.png

Because its a heck-of-a-lot easier to program and publish them on those OS's.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

-Gata signoff.png

iOS is too big a platform to be left unconsidered. Also, are you referring to Windows 8.x or Windows Phone? The former probably wouldn't need an app anyway as you could just use the normal website on a tablet.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

-Gata signoff.png

iOS is too big a platform to be left unconsidered. Also, are you referring to Windows 8.x or Windows Phone? The former probably wouldn't need an app anyway as you could just use the normal website on a tablet.

-Gata signoff.png

Windows Phone is what I was referring to. I agree, iOS is too big to be not considered. I did say "soon", however, not "never".

• Upvote 2
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Not needed, and not feasible anyway. The homepage redesign will be mobile compatible. It will most likely be built on a responsive framework, so there won't even be any need for a separate mobile theme. This is also the case with IPB 4.0; it will incorporate a responsive framework as well, so it'll be a lot better than the mobile forums now.

Bliss.png

I don't spare there's an urgent need for an app now, mostly because the IPB layout onbmobile is pretty good.

I would love an app for BZPower, although it's highly unlikely it'll happen anytime soon.

The standard mobile site's pretty difficult to manoeuvre at times, and the lack of BBCode is a bit annoying.

Learn to use BBCode. It's really quite easy to learn for basic functions like italics, bold, slash, underline and color.

I guess I'd rather want a customised mobile skin, actually. Although I have to admit that I have no idea whether it would be technically possible, it would still be nice to have a slightly more BZP-ish skin, the current one always seemed a bit... unspecific, I guess.

A slight tweaking of the colours would probably do the trick, anyway.

But as said, no idea whether that would actually be possible. :)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

-Gata signoff.png

-Gata signoff.png

Windows Phone is what I was referring to. I agree, iOS is too big to be not considered. I did say "soon", however, not "never".

Invision has an app for IP.Board already on iOS. It's also cheaper to publish apps to Google Play than it is to publish them to the Apple App Store.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who is currently using the mobile skin, I would love an app. Yeah, the mobile version is decent, but there are things on the full version I can't do on mobile. For example, end of thread and beginning of thread buttons. I could really use those on mobile instead of hitting next a bajillion times. Also, an app would allow phone notifications that just a mobile site version wouldn't allow. I would like to know if someone posted in a topic I made without having to check the site every so often. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I'd never really use it (I don't have a smartphone and every time I use one I come to hate it because the screen is too dang small to do anything [a tablet is about as small as I can really handle]), but I could see where one could come in handy for those who do have them.

However, I have a hard time seeing a BZP app getting created. If the front page ever gets its well-overdue makeover, I would imagine that it would be as mobile-friendly as the rest of the site currently is.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Assuming an app will ever be created, notifications are a must. Then I won't have to constantly reload the page because I'll be notified whenever a new post in created in a topic.

"Poor Cyclonus - Sworn To Reject A World That Hates and Fears Him. He And I Are Very Similar, Really: Two Reformed Characters Struggling To Make Our Way In Life. He Just Has Less Violent Coping Strategies." Whirl

My BZPRPG Characters