The Biological Chronicle: 2002

TNTOS

Welcome to the second installment in my new series of Bionicle flash fics, The Biological Chronicle.

For those who don't know what it is, allow me to quote myself from the first fic's introduction:

The Biological Chronicle is a series of flash fics written by me. Like my earlier Glatorian Chronicles series of short stories/short epics, each story in The Biological Chronicle is a standalone and the stories can be read in any order you please.

What connects these story is the basic theme. I gave myself the challenge of writing ten flash fics based on the ten years of Bionicle (one for 2001, another for 2002, yet another for 2003, etc.). The result is a mixture of my interpretation of scenes from canon, scenes from canon that were mentioned but never shown, and a few scenes that were never mentioned nor shown but which I nonetheless believe could have/probably did happen at some point in canon. I tried to stick to canon as closely as possible, however, so don't expect to see any new characters or locations or anything like that that weren't in canon.

They are all quite short (the longest is a little over 700 words), but of course that is to be expected from flash fiction. Fair warning: I've had little practice with flash fiction, so if these aren't as good as my usual work, it's because I'm not used to forcing myself to keep the word count under 800 words (although you are of course still free to criticize them however you usually criticize stories).

With that out of the way, enjoy:

The Bohrok were like an incoming tidal wave. There was nothing you could do to stop them. In their single-minded determination to complete their unknown mission, they would level mountains, dry up rivers, cut down forests, and burn down whole villages. They never harmed anyone unless they got in the way, true, but they would often assimilate the enemy into the swarm, rather than kill them, which was not a much better fate.

Onua knew all of this, especially the last part. As he crouched low among the boulders of the Onu-Wahi plains, he remembered how Lewa had been taken over by a Krana just a few days ago. Though he never admitted it, when he first saw that Lewa was a member of the swarm, he had briefly despaired that the entire battle against the swarms was lost.

Though Lewa may be better now, there is still much to be concerned about, Onua thought, squinting through the bright light of the sun at the entrance to Onu-Koro that he was hiding near. The Bohrok continue to ravage Mata Nui every day. And I still have yet to collect all of my Krana, which Turaga Vakama said are the secret to stopping the swarms.

Today, however, Onua was confident that he would complete his collection. Assuming, of course, the plan worked.

Then he heard it, the sound that would haunt him the rest of his days: The chittering of the Bohrok. It was coming from the cavern that he was watching; and not a second later, a swarm of Gahlok exited. The blue Bohrok seemed to adjust to the change in light without trouble because they didn't even slow down.

Which worked just fine for Onua. He watched as the first of the Gahlok stepped on the earth in front of the cavern entrance and immediately fell into a concealed hole in the ground. The rest of the Gahlok's siblings didn't seem to notice because they simply fell into the pit with it, their metal bodies clunking against each other until all of them were inside.

Onua was amazed at the stupidity of the Gahlok, but he didn't question it. He simply dashed from out of his hiding place and climbed down into the pit he had dug out. He had to move quickly. He remembered what happened the last time the Toa had trapped a swarm of Bohrok and if he wasn't fast, the Gahlok would recover quickly.

The Bohrok were still chittering, the sounds of their bodies scraping against each other annoying Onua's ears. He landed on top of a fallen Gahlok and immediately found the last Krana he needed: A Krana Xa. He smacked open the Gahlok's head plate, snatched the Xa, and deposited it into his bag full of other Krana in one smooth motion.

With that out of the way, Onua climbed back out of the pit, kicking away a Gahlok that tried to grab his legs as he did so. He reached the top of the pit just as the rest of the swarm recovered from the fall. They, too, were now climbing back up, but they were progressing much slower than Onua due to their lack of climbing claws.

The Toa of Earth considered burying them, then decided against it. Burying the Gahlok would probably work, but only temporarily. They would dig themselves out eventually or perhaps be dug out by the Bohrok Va. In any case, Onua knew a more permanent solution was needed.

Only the Krana can defeat the Bohrok, Onua thought, glancing at his bag as he ran away from the pit. I need to find the others. The time to defeat the swarms is now.

-

Comments, criticism, questions, etc. are all welcome :) .

-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS
  • Upvote 2

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I think, since these stories are interconnected, that you should be posting them in Epics.

I've considered it, but they don't actually form one continuous story (heck, don't even share any recurring elements or characters) and I don't think short story collections (which is what this would be if I posted it there) are allowed in Epics. At the very least, I've never seen any SS collections there; hence why I chose to post them as separate, individual short stories instead.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)