Announcing the BZP Referral Program

Today we have the pleasure of announcing a new feature on BZPower, the Referral Program. The idea is that you know LEGO fans who aren't BZPower members, and BZPower is always looking for new members. With this program, you can invite your friends to join the site, and both you and your friends get some perks as a result. Check out the topic for more information about referrals and how you can participate!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

This is insane. I'm not yet decided on whether it's a good thing or a bad thing yet (more members is good but I don't necessarily think all the incentives make sense). But it's definitely insane.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'll be interested in seeing how many members join and stay through this program.

Would the Proto boosts and the six-month Premiership be in any way transferrable, akin to the way they are when given as contest prizes to those who already have full Proto and/or lifetime Premiership?

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

This is insane. I'm not yet decided on whether it's a good thing or a bad thing yet (more members is good but I don't necessarily think all the incentives make sense). But it's definitely insane.

What about it makes it insane?

I dunno... just the audacity of the proposal. The outlandishness of it. I didn't mean it as an insult (again, it could genuinely do good for the site, although I'm upset about post count increases as a reward since I think that furthers the impression of post count as a points system rather than as an unbiased measure of a person's activity). I meant it in the same "crazy-cool" sense as deflecting asteroids with lasers or building a house out of a beached submarine.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

of post count as a points system rather than as an unbiased measure of a person's activity

I'd partly agree with you, but I'd like to bring up that, as there are many forum sections in which posts don't count, it's not actually (completely, in any case) a measure of how active someone is on the site.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

of post count as a points system rather than as an unbiased measure of a person's activity

I'd partly agree with you, but I'd like to bring up that, as there are many forum sections in which posts don't count, it's not actually (completely, in any case) a measure of how active someone is on the site.

Post count is actually kind of a bad way to determine activity. There are a lot of otherwise active users that just don't post all that much anymore, if they ever did. The blogs aren't even a part of the forums, and many members have made that their BZP home and are very active even if they don't often tread the waters of the forums.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

There's someone I've been trying to get on BZP anyway, so this works out well.

Same here! Nothing says "please be a giant nerd with me" quite like the allure free set raffles and a month of premier :D

Hopefully I sway some folks I know 'cause I am so lonely on here :P

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Woo! I reeled someone in! He seems less than thrilled about it though...

Hm... It says that the referral is still pending even though he's signed up... Is that normal?

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Once someone joins using your link, they need to make at least one post on BZPower for the referral to count. At that point, the following perks will be rewarded to the referrer and the referee.

So says the official BZP Referral Program page.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Once someone joins using your link, they need to make at least one post on BZPower for the referral to count. At that point, the following perks will be rewarded to the referrer and the referee.

So says the official BZP Referral Program page.

You know, I wonder if OTC posts count towards this.

Or is it only posts that count towards postcounts?

Woo! I reeled someone in! He seems less than thrilled about it though...

Hm... It says that the referral is still pending even though he's signed up... Is that normal?

From the two I reeled in (who hopefully should start posting more) it seems as if they need to post first.

You know, I wonder if OTC posts count towards this.

Or is it only posts that count towards postcounts?

Anyone you refer needs to make a post in a forum where posts count before the referral counts.

• 1 month later...

So, I have a question. I know that plenty of members have siblings using the site, but let's just say I get my brother to join. How will the staff/the site/whatever know that the account belongs to my brother, not me? Does it check by email, or is there another method? Just curious because people may abuse the system by creating a new email then joining, but please don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of person that would do this.

Edited by Watcher on the Walls

So, I have a question. I know that plenty of members have siblings using the site, but let's just say I get my brother to join. How will the staff/the site/whatever know that the account belongs to my brother, not me? Does it check by email, or is there another method? Just curious because people may abuse the system by creating a new email then joining, but please don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of person that would do this.

If we told you how we check for duplicate accounts, it would make it easier for people to bypass it. :P

Emails are certainly part of it, but we've also been doing this for over a decade and have other ways of telling.