Makuta and their oh so lovable "sons"

:infected: So we all know of the Brotherhood of Makuta, and their ability to create Kraata from their own substance, and by extension create Rahkshi for their armies. I found it interesting that after the Makuta "evolved" they were able to solidify their own substance and give it independent life (albeit in complete servitude to the Makuta who made them) which gave me several questions to consider:

1. Can the Makuta in question actually choose what type of power the Kraata has when it is "born"? Or do they just randomize the 42 different powers that it could possibly have? I'm aiming at the being able to choose, if Teridax is anything to go by, considering it appears he didn't have to go through multiple Kraata before he got to the proper combination that he wanted to attack Mata Nui and find the Seventh Toa.

2. If the Makuta can solidify their substance and give them independent life, I'm wondering if they're in theory able to do that with larger portions of their substance, making sort of "Mini-Makuta" with more powers than Kraata and perhaps more intelligence (kinda like doppelgängers of themselves). I know it has never been done canon-wise, but considering all that the Makuta were able to accomplish already, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch for them. It'd be a clever way for a Makuta to "avoid death" if they created a double of themselves, and let that one do their dirty work, while the original stayed hidden, behind the scenes (it be a nice plot twist if anyone wants a particular Makuta to survive the genocide that became of their species.) :)

3. Given what happened to the Makuta, I wonder if after so many thousand years, if Kraata revert back into energy and just "fade away" needing to be replaced by another? Or can a Kraata remain in solid form for as long as they exist?

That's about it, you guys know the drill... questions, comments, rude remarks? :hehe-sign:

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

1. I would imagine they could choose the power for the same reasons you mentioned.

2. I actually asked Greg about this a while ago, but unfortunately the answer is no:

Could a Makuta reabsorb the essence of a Kraata, and if they could, could they do it to maintain their essence if they were outside of a container? If so, could they potentially create a horcrux by siphoning off part of their essence, hiding it somewhere, and in case of an emergency (such as a serious injury or being near death) putting a lot of Kraata into it? Admittedly this is hypothetical, but it could have some interesting implications.

I do not believe so, no.

(Source)

3. You know, this is a very good question. On the one hand, to create Kraata post-evolution the Makuta had to consciously turn their Antidermis from gas to solid, which might mean they would stay in that form, but on the other hand, they are still Antidermis. :shrugs: I'll ask Greg and get back to you on this.

Craven pleas and Horcrux headcanons aren't necessary for there to still be Makuta in existence. There are anywhere from one to four confirmed to be alive on Spherus Magna, depending on how loosely you define "Makuta".

First is Miserix, obviously. Although he's marked for death by Velika, I find it unlikely that Greg was about to kill off so many beloved characters (including his own admitted favourite anti-villain, Vezon) in one fell swoop. Though, to be honest, I kind of wish he'd been killed for good in '08 or '09 -- it's just tacky to have him lying around forgotten in the background.

Next is alternate Teridax. From another dimension, to be sure, and he has an assortment of different powers, but he is still indisputably a Makuta.

Furthermore, Brutaka is infused with the raw energies of the antidermis pool from which all Makuta were born. This has given him at least one of the Makuta powers, teleportation, and probably the rest. In terms of both mind and power, he's pretty much the measure of a Makuta -- or many Makuta, keeping in mind the whole "pool of souls" business.

Finally, and at this point we're really stretching the definition of "Makuta", Tahu absorbed several Kraata powers with the Golden Armor. Even though he's only been confirmed to have heat vision and healing, it's likely that his current array of abilities approaches that of the other honorary Makuta above.

Besides, even if you find the above entities insufficient for your Makuta-crush: to our knowledge, the antidermis pool is still intact somewhere in the Southern Islands, and somewhere in the universe are the tablets Vultraz gave to Icarax, detailing the creation "recipe" for the Makuta race. It is not implausible that more Makuta could be created in the not-too-distant future by someone brilliant/mad/devoted enough to try.

• Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Aye, you do have a point there, Yaldabaoth... though I canceled Alt Terry from the equation cuz of his origin, and I wouldn't have considered Tahu, just cuz he doesn't have the genetic makeup of a Makuta, he just stole a bunch of Kraata powers haha

But yeah, there's that pool... one can only hope that someone finds their way there... though I don't see any likely candidates. Velika? definitely not. The Toa? No. Order of Mata Nui? Definitely not. Dark Hunters? Also not likely. Course, Brutaka might, now that the universe is saved, he might be driven to bring the species back. Hard to tell. Or maybe Misterix might want more minions to rule, so he'd bring back his species... hmm ah well I digress haha. :)

• Upvote 1

Formerly Iron_Man5

I'm not sure why Miserix would want more minions to rule. Look how good that worked for him last time. (Free vacation trip to an active volcano and a transformation into a dragon. :P)

Toying with antidermis would seem more like a Vezon thing to do. Or maybe Alt. Terry would want to make this 'verse like the Melding, so he'd make some friends (that is, if he knew how).

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Well, technically he chose that form, once he absorbed enough Klakk to endure their shrieks. :) But again I digress... honestly I don't know what he'd do, the last Makuta in existence (not including alt terry) there's not many job offers for that title haha

• Upvote 1

Formerly Iron_Man5

Actually I think there may be some surviving Makuta. Teridax kept some alive to generate his army of Rahkshi, and maybe they survived?

I dunno, though, maybe w shoudl check with Greg.

"Upon gaining full control of Mata Nui's body, Teridax rose from the seabed of Aqua Magna, and set about enforcing his rule in the Matoran Universe. He began using the remaining Makuta to produce Kraata for him, in order to keep his Rahkshi army plentiful, though he later killed all of them." - BS01

Yeah, he kept some alive, but then they were killed.

Only Makuta left are Terry Goodkind and Miserix now.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I have a very crazy headcanon on this. At a couple different times in the story we've seen strange, seemingly sentient beings that are possibly connected to Makuta somehow, though far weaker. There were the Shadow Toa Mata, the sonic being Matau defeated, and the Shadow Vakama. (Those are the only ones I know of, let me know if others exist.) We never found out what these beings were, or where they came from. What I propose is that, essentially, these are failed Makuta.

Teridax clearly knows where he and the other Makuta came from, and I have a feeling he tried to reverse-engineer the process. His original attempts, roaming Metru Nui, were contained in elemental energy, not physical bodies, and were not fully self-aware. But by the time the Toa Mata arrived, Teridax could make them with true bodies, and they were as intelligent as Toa. This could be why he later was so hesitant to release Rahkshi: he would have rather attempted another set of Makuta-kin, but had no time to do so.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

A good theory, but those entities have already been given origin stories. The Sonic Entity was created by that mutated Lohrak that could make sonic attacks, the shadow toa were lifelike illusions created by Makuta as evil counterparts of the Toa. The only being we don't know 100% about is the Fire Entity, (biosector01 claims it's an elemental Rahi, but in the books, I believe that Vakama deduced that it was a version of himself should he ever lose control over his powers) :shrugs:

Formerly Iron_Man5

I edited the Fire Entity page to state that it was an Elemental Rahi created by the Great Beings, as concluded after a discussion in the Official Greg Compendium that started here. fishers64 was kind enough to dig up some old Greg quotes that confirmed its nature. Basically, this means Vakama's theory was wrong, which you might expect -- characters aren't always right about everything, after all.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

A good theory, but those entities have already been given origin stories. The Sonic Entity was created by that mutated Lohrak that could make sonic attacks, the shadow toa were lifelike illusions created by Makuta as evil counterparts of the Toa. The only being we don't know 100% about is the Fire Entity, (biosector01 claims it's an elemental Rahi, but in the books, I believe that Vakama deduced that it was a version of himself should he ever lose control over his powers) :shrugs:

It actually has basis in Greg quotes :P :

Someone should ask Greg what the deal was with that weird Fire Entity in Web of the Visorak. All of the other elemental beings we've seen have had an explanation for their existence. I'd ask him myself, but I've long since forgotten my LMB account info.

15)the fire entity vakama fights,was it made by makuta or something else?

ANSWER: It was a Rahi.

Just a quick question: What are the Elemental beings? (the acid cloud, the Fire Entity, etc.) Thanks in advance.

They are living beings composed almost entirely of a particular element. Since we know they were not created by Artakha, that basically leaves the Brotherhood or the Great Beings, and I tend to lean toward the GBs in this case.

Hi Greg. I was thinking about the Element Lords being made of their element, and it got me thinking: do the Element Lords have any connection to the fire entity, and possibly the Vatuka?

No

7. Did the Energized Protodermis Entity escape the MU?

8 How about the Fire Entity and Sonic Entity from 2004?

7) Unknown at present

8) If I recall correctly, the fire entity was frozen

I think this means that he's in the same spot he was or is dead. Someone should update BS01.

I think that reference in Web of Shadows is merely a poetic deduction having to do with Vakama's future transformation into Hordika:

In the last moment before the darkness closed in, the Toa of Fire realized that he had just faced, and conquered, a dark version of himself.

But I don't think I could do it again.

Edit: Y's a ninja, but whatever.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 1

Greg got back to me regarding the Rahkshi question:

Seeing as Kraata are made of Antidermis, if one is around for too long does it turn into gas? If so, could it be solidifed again, or would a Makuta need to make a new one?

Evidently not, since the ones that occupy Rahkshi never seem to do that.

(Copy of post in OGC) (Original post on LMBs)

Edited by Infrared