Ninjago Movie Release Date Set

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed the director and release date for the upcoming LEGO Ninjago animated movie. Scheduled for September 23, 2016, Charlie Bean will make his directorial debut with the film. Bean's previous work includes Tron: Uprising. While this will be his first time directing, I'm not too worried - Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the writers and directors of The LEGO Movie, will be producing the Ninjago film along with Dan Lin and Roy Lee, who produced it. I hope you're all ready for some Spinjitzu action!

View the full article

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed the director and release date for the upcoming LEGO Ninjago animated movie. Scheduled for September 23, 2016, Charlie Bean will make his directorial debut with the film. Bean's previous work includes Tron: Uprising. While this will be his first time directing, I'm not too worried - Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the writers and directors of The LEGO Movie, will be producing the Ninjago film along with Dan Lin and Roy Lee, who produced it. I hope you're all ready for some Spinjitzu action!

View the full article

I'm still wondering exactly what to expect for this movie.

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero." -Toa Kopaka

2016 is not a terribly long wait, considering that the movie just got greenlit this year. Development for The LEGO Movie began in 2008. Of course, this movie will not need nearly so much time since both The LEGO Movie and the LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu TV series have laid some creative groundwork that it can build on.

In the meantime, a Cartoon Network press release earlier this year confirmed that there would be more new episodes in 2015. How many is unclear, but considering that they seemed to treat them as something different than the "TV Specials" (two-episode blocks) we're getting this year, it's quite possible we might see a full 13-episode season.

The director, Charlie Bean, does not have any theatrical credits to his name as far as I can tell. But he does have a good number of animation credits, so he's not an industry outsider by a longshot. And the fact that the Hageman brothers are writing the new movie gives me great confidence.

I look forward to hearing more about this movie and how it might connect with the ongoing TV series!

• Upvote 1

I kind of see this movie being a stand-alone story not connected to the TV show. It could still have the same characters, of course. But I think that it being its own story, apart from the main one, would be best. I say this because it would be difficult for people to get into the movie if it continues the storylines from the show. It would be like releasing a Bionicle movie based on the Karda Nui saga into theaters. A lot of people wouldn't understand what's going on half the time.

Of course, if it did follow the show, it would probably have a quick overview of it in the beginning, to give viewers the basics of Ninjago. I guess we won't know for sure until the movie is released.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Let's just say I'm looking forward to this one. If it is as good or better than the TV series, it will definitely be a good watch.

But they definitely need a very different story for this one than that of the Lego Movie. Zane, Kai, Cole, Nya, and Jay have already been established to have a brain. :) Hopefully the people behind that will realize that and adjust accordingly.

2016 is not a terribly long wait, considering that the movie just got greenlit this year. Development for The LEGO Movie began in 2008.

True, although the latter was only greenlit in November 2011. To put the wait for this Ninjago movie in perspective, the next Star Wars movie will be available on DVD by the time it arrives.

2016 is not a terribly long wait, considering that the movie just got greenlit this year. Development for The LEGO Movie began in 2008.

True, although the latter was only greenlit in November 2011. To put the wait for this Ninjago movie in perspective, the next Star Wars movie will be available on DVD by the time it arrives.

I can't believe people are really complaining about the release date being in two years.

It's a movie. It takes time to make.

And considering both 2015 and 2016 are overcrowded with potential blockbusters (mostly comic-book movies), choosing a decent release date for your movie can be pretty challenging. So be glad you don't have to wait longer.

And I can't understand why anyone should be eagerly looking forward to it right now; be patient, and 2016 will be here before you know it.

Yes, but by its release date, that too will have been in development for quite a while. The new Star Wars movie was formally announced in October 2012. It will be released to theaters in December 2015, meaning there will have been over three years between announcement and release. This Ninjago movie was announced in June 2013 and will be released in May 2016, an even shorter wait than for Star Wars Episode VII.

Theatrical movies generally take a long time to make. This is nothing out of the ordinary, and it would be difficult to expect a quality movie if it were scheduled for a 2015 release.

I can't believe people are really complaining about the release date being in two years.

And considering both 2015 and 2016 are overcrowded with potential blockbusters (mostly comic-book movies), choosing a decent release date for your movie can be pretty challenging. So be glad you don't have to wait longer.

And I can't understand why anyone should be eagerly looking forward to it right now; be patient, and 2016 will be here before you know it.

I'm not complaining at all, just remarking on the length of time.

The new Star Wars movie was formally announced in October 2012. It will be released to theaters in December 2015, meaning there will have been over three years between announcement and release.

This is actually consistent with the three year divide between Star Wars movies (though not between trilogies, obviously).

This Ninjago movie was announced in June 2013 and will be released in May 2016,

Isn't the release date in the news article given as September 23rd?

I'm not complaining at all, just remarking on the length of time.

The new Star Wars movie was formally announced in October 2012. It will be released to theaters in December 2015, meaning there will have been over three years between announcement and release.

This is actually consistent with the three year divide between Star Wars movies (though not between trilogies, obviously).

This Ninjago movie was announced in June 2013 and will be released in May 2016,

Isn't the release date in the news article given as September 23rd?

D'oh, you're right. I was getting it confused with The LEGO Movie 2, which will be released in May 2017. My bad.

Really looking forward to this! I've got incredibly high hopes for this movie after TLM. Hopefully it does Ninjago justice.

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.