Pick your favorite entries  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

RPG Contest #31 Final Poll

View the contest thread here.

View the full list of submissions here.

Final poll will run May 23 - 11:59 PM Eastern May 26.

You can select THREE entries!

• Upvote 2

Naturally, I chose to vote for Parallel as my first vote. I suppose that's expected, really.

Midnight City gained my second vote; if anyone is interested why, they can read the review I posted for it. And that was even with some accentuation of the negatives. But to put it in simple terms - the writing is beautiful, and the story has a lot of potential. On a more subjective note, I have faith that the GMs can pull it off, as long as the proper time is put it.

My third vote, though, took some thinking... and my choice is a tad unorthodox. A Journey of Stars, Sand, and Spirit is not my typical choice - City in the Dark is what I would have gone with in any other circumstance; Ultimate City was appealing just out of how absurd it is. But, knowing the plan for the RPG, I decided to go a different way this time and see how this RPG might turn out. In no small part due to self-interest in seeing how such an RPG could work out.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I'll be honest, this was a tough one. For a while I was truly considering not voting for myself, there was just too many good entries. In the end, however, I voted for Parallel, 1, City in the Dark, 4, and my own A Journey of Sand, Stars, and Spirit, 6.

I was then highly disappointed at the lead of 8 votes between the top two, MidnightCity and The Ultimate City, and third, City in the Dark.

E: For reference, this was the vote count when this post was created:

23 voters

Parallel- 4 votes

Outbreak- 2 votes

MidnightCity- 14 votes

City in the Dark- 6 votes

Ultimate City- 14 votes

A Journey- 4 votes.

For some reason, just the fact that such a huge, large lead has arisen somehow, with only really 1 voter so far saying aloud that those were the only two they voted for, with some quick math this leaves...

1 vote for Parallel unknown.

2 votes for Outbreak unknown.

8 votes for Midnight City unknown.

2 votes for City in the Dark unknown.

9 votes for Ultimate City of Ultimate Destiny unknown.

2 votes for A Journey of Sand, Stars, and Spirit unknown.

With this being said, and assuming that all the unknown voters voted for both Midnight and Ultimate and then one other until the data shows nothing, that gives us somewhere in the ballpark of 1 more voter voting only Midnight City and Ultimate, and one voter only voting for Ultimate.

Could this be highly inaccurate? Yes, but I feel this goes to show that yes, perhaps the contest system could do with some reworking or at the least a testing of a judging system. The gap here is despairingly high, and if we assume people who post in the topic are those who will actually play the game, a worst-case scenario, sure, but one that will illustrate my point, then we come out with the numbers of...

3 votes/players of Parallel

0 votes/players of Outbreak

6 votes/players of MidnightCity

4 votes/players of City in the Dark

5 votes/players of Ultimate City

2 votes/players of Journey.

With this, I instantly note that yes, the current rankings are pretty much still accurate, but the margins are much closer and the data is a bit more realistically styled, in my opinion.

Just a few notes that I was compelled to write up and went a bit overboard with after seeing that huge gap. :P

E: I am probably going to make an even more in-depth analysis by factoring in the number of voters as well, just to see how exactly those numbers could have arisen.

Good luck to all!

Zakaro

Edited by JustZakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

-snip-

Keep in mind that nobody is required to publicly state who they voted for. Does this point towards a flawed system governed by popularity contests? Probably. Maybe. Or maybe other people are like me and just decided those are the only two games they have any interest in playing and, thus, voted for them. I know quite a few people, certainly enough to compensate for the absence you detected, who are roleplayers and likely share my logic in voting.

Just saying.

-snip-

Keep in mind that nobody is required to publicly state who they voted for. Does this point towards a flawed system governed by popularity contests? Probably. Maybe. Or maybe other people are like me and just decided those are the only two games they have any interest in playing and, thus, voted for them. I know quite a few people, certainly enough to compensate for the absence you detected, who are roleplayers and likely share my logic in voting.

Just saying.

There's always going to be an element of popularity. Thankfully, this same popularity generally implies a larger player base for the RPG. Generally. TBH, at this point, a highly active middle-of-the-road RPG would be better than the greatest RPG in the world with all of three players.

As for me, I find that I enjoy the challenge of roleplaying in games that go outside of my normal considerations. Part of the reason I wrote Parallel was to offer that opportunity - putting the players in a distinctively villainous role. The voting, of course, shows that such interests are not so necessarily shared. :P I'll take that into consideration with my next experiment.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

I had the most terrible time picking my three. Since moving back out of the college dorm one and a half weeks ago, this has to have been one of the most difficult decisions presented to me. So many wonderful ideas! Even if none of my personal picks make the final cut, I know that some great ideas shall be set into motion, and have high hopes that those authors who are not chosen may have their chance to shine in the next choosing.

Did you know that insanity is contagious? I've been spreading it for years!

All hail Makuta Teridax that creepy guy to my right,Master of Shadows.

For the record, my votes were:

1. City in the Dark, because it's mine and I like it. With four hours to go, and no votes in the last 24, I think it's safe to say it will go ahead, so thank you to everyone who voted for it. I look forward to playing the game with you and seeing what kind of characters you come up with.
  2. A Journey of Sand, Stars, and Spirit​ because of the way it is set up with the progressive unlocking. It's a new innovation I'd have liked to see get the chance to fly. It's also set up much better than the last game we saw that was built around unlocking stuff (cough cough contest 22).
  3. Outbreak, since I thought that with an already established playerbase and a plot that was already moving, that it would have a better-than-average shot at staying alive. That and the focus on non-toa characters, which I thought was great.

On those that missed out:

• Midnight City, for all its excellent writing and well-defined feel, just didn't quite feel like a BIONICLE RPG to me. It was like there were human characters wearing nametags that said "toa" and "Vortixx", rather than BIONICLE characters inhabiting an unmistakably BIONICLE world. It's just an issue of personal taste, really.
  • Ultimate City of Ultimate Destiny is just so open-ended and mind-boggling. It works great as a joke, but I'm not so sure it can work as a game.
  • Parallel I'm not even sure on. The premise is great, and I don't have a problem with playing villains, but somehow lacked an x-factor that gets me excited about games. Perhaps a few more lead-ins to the plot could have helped, rather than just introducing a city of time-travellers and saying "look, here it is".

ppg2.png

• Parallel I'm not even sure on. The premise is great, and I don't have a problem with playing villains, but somehow lacked an x-factor that gets me excited about games. Perhaps a few more lead-ins to the plot could have helped, rather than just introducing a city of time-travellers and saying "look, here it is".

I chalk that up mostly to my choice of format, really; I ended up losing some of the more interesting stuff for that reason. And a character unfamiliar with the plot trying to explain the plot didn't help.

Next time, on the other hand...

• Midnight City, for all its excellent writing and well-defined feel, just didn't quite feel like a BIONICLE RPG to me. It was like there were human characters wearing nametags that said "toa" and "Vortixx", rather than BIONICLE characters inhabiting an unmistakably BIONICLE world. It's just an issue of personal taste, really.

I can definitely see this happening. One of the more noticeably problems I tend to encounter with expanding the story outward, outside of the GSR, is that Bionicle can really get into the "generic science fiction" area. I completely understand the sentiment, though if it's any consolation, I'm going to bring the story back around to a Bionicle feel over the course of the RPG. Or at least attempt to.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -