Old Age?

This might be a stupid question, and has probably already been answered BUT, if can matoran die of old age if the first one ever created is still alive (Takua)?? On a side-note, I never really liked the idea of takua as the oldest matoran as he always seemed young, vibrant and adventurous :/ Is it that matoran are yet to die of old age?

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

Matoran can die of old age. In BIONICLE Legends 10, a group of Av-Matoran died of old age and turned into Bohrok. Takua just happens to live longer than the others.And even though Takua/Takanuva is the oldest Matoran alive, it really doesn't matter anyway. Not everyone in the story knows of that fact. Not even Takanuva himself knows that he's the first Matoran. So it really doesn't have much of an impact on his personality. Well, not yet that is.

Matoran can die of old age. In BIONICLE Legends 10, a group of Av-Matoran died of old age and turned into Bohrok. Takua just happens to live longer than the others.And even though Takua/Takanuva is the oldest Matoran alive, it really doesn't matter anyway. Not everyone in the story knows of that fact. Not even Takanuva himself knows that he's the first Matoran. So it really doesn't have much of an impact on his personality. Well, not yet that is.

Well, actually, the Av-toran from Legends 10 didn't die due to old age, they turned into Bohrok because it was their destiny to do so. I think they just transformed, but as Bohrok are simply mechanical, you could say that they died (just not of old age).

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

I don't think any of them can die of old age. They seem to have partial immortality like that. The closest thing to dying of old age would be losing their masks and eventually dying because of that.

zolfbanner.jpg

So take my hand, Now you'll never be lonely, Not when I'm home, sweet home

I see your star, you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Well, we know the Glatorian (and presumably Agori) can die of natural causes, so I suppose it's a case of how accurate the Great Beings felt like making the Matoran and Toa. Of course, in Takua's case, getting turned into a Toa probably turned back his biological (biomechanical?) clock a bit.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

It's possible, I believe, because Agori have the same lifespan as Matoran; Glatorian live as long as, if not longer than Agori live, and and Certavus died from natural causes, which I always figured was old age. That would also mean that a Matoran's lifespan is longer than 1,000 years, since Takua seemed to still be quite youthfully energetic as a Matoran in 2001-2003. In other words, I think it's possible, but no Matoran has lived long enough for it to happen yet.

How well will you die?

I believe it was confirmed that Matoran die of old age, but given how they are mostly mechanical, it takes a long time. As for why Takua seemed so youthful, you need to remember that he was the first Matoran, so he may have been made a little differently than the others.Also, it's been stated that "Matoran with the calling sometimes are a little.... eccentric." --Jerbraz, Brothers in Arms. Because of this, I suspect that Takua was just different because he was destined to be a Toa. t1ssig.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Yes,matoran do age, but their organs mechanical allow them to live extremely long times, and like GSR said Takua not dying of old age probably has do with the fact of destiny of becoming a Toa.

Edited by Power of Fire

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all." Tahu

"Deceit and self-interest will never be virtues the Matoran will honor!"-Vakama

"Fear is the state of mind in which we will cause our own failures."-Me

" You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."- Harvey Dent

Takua, like the other Matoran, were created by the Great Beings to keep Mata Nui running. They were probably designed to live, and work, for a very long time. Nevertheless, Matoran probably can die of old age, as machinery will wear down over time. As Takua doesn't seem to know how old he is, his youthful disposition could be from some part of his brain saying, "Hey, you must be pretty young!" and his body reacting as such. The transformation into a Toa probably extended his lifetime a fair bit. Also, taking Helryx as an example, some characters seem to age through strenuous living instead of years.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I doubt a Matoran could die of old age - they are pretty much mechanical, so they can be constantly repaired.

As Takua doesn't seem to know how old he is, his youthful disposition could be from some part of his brain saying, "Hey, you must be pretty young!" and his body reacting as such.

*makes a mental note to try that 30 years from now*

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I will admit that I don't think that a matoran or any other biomechanical being could die of old age but I do feel that they could die of thier mechanical components eventually breaking down. I know many will say that they can just repair themselves, and my answer to that is you can only repair something so many times before thier is no hope of fixing it. Also I think that them being Biomechanical has little to do with how long they live because look at the Agori/Glatorian, Most of them are fully organic with barely any mechanical implants and yet they have lived over 100,000 since they were living on Spherus-Magna before the Great beings even started working on Mata-Nui. making them older than Takua or any being living the the MU or even Mata-Nui.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

I don't know about old age specifically, but I think it's probably safe to say that Matoran/Toa/Turaga will eventually die once they have fulfilled their destinies. The Avtoran=>Bohrok example was already brought up, but also think about Toa=>Turaga. What happens during that transformation? The Toa become smaller, weaker, less powerful versions of their former selves, similar to aging in humans, just all at once as opposed to gradually. And Turaga don't live forever, as Lhikan proved. Turaga are simply less likely to live through attacks and other similar harmful events than Toa or even Matoran would be, but, just like with humans, if a Turaga stays clear of any dangerous situations and generally lives well, they can live a lot longer than one who is constantly ending up in harm's way. So no, I don't think Matoran/Toa/Turaga die of old age specifically, but certainly once they become Turaga they are less likely to live through things. :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I imagine that for Matoran and Toa, "old age" would be the point where their mechanical parts become too damaged to repair. That would be in a similar vein to humans -- when our bodies can't produce enough cells to replace dying ones, we die -- while also applying to robots / cyborgs.GregF has already confirmed Matoran and Toa live for a very, very long time, but even they aren't immortal.

It's possible, I believe, because Agori have the same lifespan as Matoran; Glatorian live as long as, if not longer than Agori live, and and Certavus died from natural causes, which I always figured was old age. That would also mean that a Matoran's lifespan is longer than 1,000 years, since Takua seemed to still be quite youthfully energetic as a Matoran in 2001-2003. In other words, I think it's possible, but no Matoran has lived long enough for it to happen yet.

If a scorpion sting kills you, the scorpion came from nature, so that's a natural cause, too. So Certavus's death is probably from a disease or something.

aouROFb.png

Obviously the Av-Matoran are the first types of Matoran, and it was hinted along the lines that Takua might have been the first one, which was later fleshed out into a full confirmation. Anyway, I'd hazard a guess as to the transformation into a Toa extending his lifespan. And maybe their ability to access elemental powers extended their lifespans anyway.

If a scorpion sting kills you, the scorpion came from nature, so that's a natural cause, too. So Certavus's death is probably from a disease or something.
That may be, but usually natural causes refers to old age. If you died from a scorpion sting, your death would be classified as 'killed by a scorpion'. I thinks it is safe to assume Certavus died of old age.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Did Greg confirm that Agori live as long as Matoran? I'd assume Matoran live longer, since they're mostly mechanical.Ackar is over 100,000 years old, and doesn't seem to be likely to die soon, so the Matoran life span is probably at least that.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

You guys are all forgeting something: The Voporak problem. Voporak is somehow able to age people really fast, and he can kill them by doing so. This indicates that protodermis decays after a long time. How long? The Shadowed one's words indicate that 3000 years is enough to warrant repairs. In addition, Helryx is described as "Extremely old and frail", indicating that people in the MU do age. As for Takua... I guess because he was the first matoran created, the Great Beings simply forgot to give him aging.

Did Greg confirm that Agori live as long as Matoran? I'd assume Matoran live longer, since they're mostly mechanical.Ackar is over 100,000 years old, and doesn't seem to be likely to die soon, so the Matoran life span is probably at least that.
I actually think Agori live longer than matoran because if you look at the story line you'll see that the agori lived on Spherus-Magna and that the matoran did not exist until the Mata-Nui project started and the agori participated in the core war which occurred before and during mata-nui's construction. So in all reality the agori are older than the matoran or any Mata-Nui species.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Wait, Takua was the oldest Matoran?

Yeah. Did not know that til now.

That may be, but usually natural causes refers to old age. If you died from a scorpion sting, your death would be classified as 'killed by a scorpion'. I thinks it is safe to assume Certavus died of old age.
Good point. If you're old-age, it usually means that your organs are getting too worn out to perform their functions, meaning they would fail at some point (apparently, it takes a really long time for that to happen here). So maybe that's "old age" in terms of Bionicle. Gradual organ failure caused by passage of time.

16N1K4 elsewhere:

Instagram (MOC-focused)

personal blog

Age in BIONICLE is a pretty hazy subject. Kyry, who is described as a young/inexperienced Agori, is seen working working around with Raanu during the Core War, some 100,000. ie, he's older than Gresh and they're both still considered young. And he's an Agori. Every MU inhabitant is younger than all the Spherus Magna people we know of. And since they're mechanical, I don't think they're going to die of old age any time soon.

AXKP5KC.png

people dont die of old age, their old age inhibits them from excersising etc. and then they grow weak and fall and die. old age really isnt the killer

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

yeah, if they break an arm, they just go to a nyrah ghost to fix the parts, and the tissue grows back

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

yeah, if they break an arm, they just go to a nyrah ghost to fix the parts, and the tissue grows back

if u can find one LOL

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

I thought the only Matoran to die of age was Ihu... and the reason Takua isn't dead is probably because he was the first Matoran. He was like a prototype, different from all the others (like Jaller said). He was probably designed to be like an Agori, which stay young for 120,000 years then start aging a while after that. Like Ackar, who has just recently started to get old. And Berix is another example, as well as Gresh.

LlqByyh.png

Well, matoran are mostly mechanical creatures, but they aren't immortal. For instance, take a car. Even if you take great care of the car (rotating tires, changing oil, taking it to the shop for regular check-ups etc.) eventually it will start to get old and start working. I think that matoran are the same way, however, since the MU has lasted a relatively short time in Bionicle terms, we haven't really had the opportunity to see them age yet. I actually lampooned the tremendously long life span of matoran in "Choose Your Own Stupid Bionicle Adventure" by multiplying every age by 1,000. For instance, a character that's 14,000 is 14 in human terms, but even 1,000 to 1 is actually a bit small of a ratio, especially when you see 100,000 year olds walking around with spring still in their step.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Well, matoran are mostly mechanical creatures, but they aren't immortal. For instance, take a car. Even if you take great care of the car (rotating tires, changing oil, taking it to the shop for regular check-ups etc.) eventually it will start to get old and start working. I think that matoran are the same way, however, since the MU has lasted a relatively short time in Bionicle terms, we haven't really had the opportunity to see them age yet. I actually lampooned the tremendously long life span of matoran in "Choose Your Own Stupid Bionicle Adventure" by multiplying every age by 1,000. For instance, a character that's 14,000 is 14 in human terms, but even 1,000 to 1 is actually a bit small of a ratio, especially when you see 100,000 year olds walking around with spring still in their step.-don't touch my pocket protector

Yes. The Agori don't live as long for the same reason a car can outlast a human if properly taken care of. They have more organics that can fail.

aouROFb.png