City in the Dark

The Lorax

IC: Wherya (Katipo)

I'd taken off on my own for a while to gather my thoughts, and tired as I might be, I still found it in me to reflect on the recent happenings in good detail. My mask let me see it clearly, like images on a viewscreen. This whole case was running wild, leaving behind obvious tracks of where it'd been and where it was going, but with no end in sight. Probably best to stick with the others to get as good a chance as possible. The Dark Hunter interrogations would hopefully prove informative.

IC: Kareva (South Road)

Kareva continued walking down the path, her mind occupied with trying to decide which particular alcholic beverage she was going to relax with when she got back to town. She didn't feel any but the usual sense of minute dread as she walked on.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

GM IC: For the second time in two days, a council was gathered to hear from a being who had emerged from the Darkness around Katipo bearing dark news. Rather than the comfortable conference room of Tawhito's hall, however, this meeting was held in the deepest underground story to Guard HQ, in a room of bare stone walls with no furniture or adornment. The room's only feature was a metal ring set strongly into the back wall. Though the room was more than large enough to accommodate them, all of the beings present were standing up against one wall, waiting.

There was Turaga Tawhito, embattled leader of the City; Tarua, Toa and armourer for the City Guard; Teota, the Hunter's final victim; Kware, the husband who had proved his courage and love in the fight to get her back; Wherya, the shrewd investigator, Orde, the ancient Toa who, despite his allegiance to the guard, had kept secrets from them all, and Turano, the Captain of the Guard who had demanded to be present despite the healers' protests. Indeed, he had needed to be sedated the previous day in order to get any rest and recovery while his men were away fighting. The Hirohi was looking much better for the rest, though the signs of his captivity still showed. Of all the prisoners, it had been him that the Hunters had questioned longest and hardest.

It was then that a Rori guard entered the room, carrying another sedated being. Lariska had been bound in chains from head to foot and then encased in a block of stone up to her neck by a pair of Skakdi. Although Turano had identified her as the one to interrogate, they were taking no chances with her security. The other Hunters were still lying sedated in separate cells, which had undergone some quick modifications the night before in order to hold such beings and counteract their abilities. Kama connected the end of Lariska's chains to the loop in the wall and locked them into place, before moving to stand in the corner next to her, eyeing the prisoner warily.

Tawhito stepped forward to begin the interrogation. He raised his staff to the sedated Korumine's head, the jewel flashed bright green, and she was awake. "Lariska of the Dark Hunters," he began formally, "You are a captive here in the City of Katipo, and under our laws, you will stand trial for seven counts of kidnapping and torture. First, however, you will tell us all that we wish to know about your reasons for coming to Katipo and bringing harm to our citizens. What was it that you wished to accomplish in our city?"

"So he hasn't told you then?" Lariska asked incredulously, gesturing with her head to where Orde was standing. "Of course, Toa of psionics, he could make you forget, he wants it for himself. Even the best Toa can be turned to lust and greed..." She degenerated into muttering that was unintelligible for a few moments, quickly calculating the best outcome from her situation. Her head snapped back up and she began again.

"Right, turaga, I don't know your name or care about the laws of your puny city. From now on I speak only to your toa: we know you have it, and you can't keep it. I admit that it was difficult to track you back here to this isolated hole of a mining camp, but now we know where you are, and so does The Shadowed One. You have captured me, but he will send others. You might capture them too, but as long as you are here, more of us will keep coming. Your city is nothing compared to the might of the Dark Hunters, and by keeping it from us you will doom yourself and all of the people here to destruction. Give us what we want and you can stay alive. Give us what we want and we will go away. Try to keep it, and you will die."

"You were not brought here to make threats to Orde," Tawhito began "Now answer the question: why are you here?"

Orde cut him off, commanding the attention of everyone in the room in a way that wasn't all to do with his voice. "No, Turaga, I will answer this. Hunter, I do not know or possess the thing you seek. When I removed the knowledge of it from my colleagues' heads, I also wiped it from my own, save for this: it is not in Katipo. I sent it away to safety before we reentered the city. Powerful objects draw beings like you, and you bring danger. I am a Toa, and it is my duty to protect others from the danger you bring. Before you send an army here, know that your search is futile. Turaga Tawhito, continue your interrogation."

Tawhito, however, seemed to have been stricken dumb. He stood immobile for long seconds, looking back between Lariska and Orde. "...No" he concluded finally. "No I will not continue. Kama, take the prisoner back to her cell. I will deal with her later." Doing as he was told, The Rori hefted the captive up in his arms and carried her from the room. It was only once the door had shut behind him and the Rori's grunts of effort had receeded down the corridor that he finally spoke again. "Orde" he whispered. "Why did you lie to the hunter?"

ppg2.png

IC Kama:

Kama was having some trouble carrying Lariska. Strength wasn't a problem much, as Lariska was comparitively light compared to some things he'd had to lift. HIs nervousness at transporting one of the most lethal prisoners was the problem. An application of his speed power brought him quickly to the prison cell, where he heaved Lariska in and slammed the door.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

IC: Kware

It took a moment for Tawhito's words to register. The question seemed odd. How did he know Orde was--

His mask. Tawhito could detect lies. Great Spirits, did that mean...?

This wasn't good. He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when he felt Teota's hand on his arm.

IC: Teota

Teota had been fidgeting with her pipe during the brief interrogation. She listened with interest, but nothing struck her as particularly significant. At least, not until Tawhito asked Orde why he lied. Realization dawned on her just as it did on Kware. He tensed and opened his mouth. Teota gently laid her hand on his arm. He closed his mouth and relaxed somewhat, but glanced at her questioningly.

Clenching her jaw, Teota quietly asked, "Does that mean that that... thing they are looking for is here?"

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

GM IC: "I'm afraid it does" Tawhito replied, "or at least that Orde believes that it is here. The statements 'I do not know or possess the thing you seek', 'I wiped it from my own memory', 'it is not in Katipo' and 'I sent it away to safety before we reentered the city' all registered as lies. The only thing Orde believed as he said it was that it is his duty as a Toa to protect others from harm and that he was acting with that as his motive. Were it not for that, I would worry that we had a rogue toa on our hands. As little as I like the current situation, it is greatly preferable to that alternative."

"Is he not rogue already?" Turano asked, looking exceedingly grim. "He  claims to act for others, but he has knowingly brought danger to Katipo, withheld information from his superiors and so betrayed his allegiance to the guard and still refuses to tell us anything even as we go to fight a battle! There have been some who argued that, 'for the greater good', a Toa might abandon many or all of their principles and commit many wrongs.  They have tried to become conquerors and rulers who destroy all potential threats rather than protectors against what may come, as the Great Spirit ordained. For some goal that he is unwilling to reveal, Orde was willing to watch six of us get kidnapped and tortured for days on end. He left the city unprepared for what it was facing and vulnerable without its Captain of the Guard! If there is a point where a toa has gone rouge and put their own warped ideas of what is good above their duty to protect, is this not it?"

With Lariska safely incarcerated and her chains once again hooked onto the wall, Kama found himself at a loose end. His shift was over, so he could go home and get away from these dangerous prisoners but... did he really want to? Back down the hallway, the door to the interrogation room still stood open, and he could hear voices emanating from inside. It really wasn't his business to be listening in on their discussion, but since when had that stopped him?

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

Despite the anger that simmered within her, Teota couldn't help but shake her head. "Perhaps. But one thing I've learned in my years of travel is that many times, ideals can cause more problems than they solve. Maybe Orde has gone rogue. I don't know, and to be honest, I don't really care. But assuming I did, I also don't know everything about this situation. Maybe he truly felt, and feels, that what he did was the only way to get a happy ending out of this. Maybe rejecting the Toa code, or whatever they uphold, was the only way to protect Katipo. And don't think I'm saying any of these because I feel like I owe Orde anything. I was one of those held captive, too."

Kware winced. "But that still doesn't help the root problem here--or, at least, what seems to be the problem--and that is the fact that Orde is the only one who can clear any of this up. He knows the most out of any of us, and it's clear--" he looked pointedly at Turano "--that not everyone trusts him. How can this situation be resolved if the key individual can't be trusted?"

IC Kama:

As this thought occurred to Kama, a mischievous grin crossed his face. It had been a long while since he eavesdropped on anyone. He began slinking quietly toward the door. Suddenly, a loose board creaked. Kama cringed, quickly stepping off it and accidentally making it creak again. "Hope nobody heard that" Kama thought to himself as he resumed sneaking.

Edited by Ahktu

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

GM IC: "I'll admit it's not an ideal situation" Orde replied. The more the others talked around the issue of his secrecy and mistrust, the more uncomfortable he became. He hadn't intended for things to turn out this way and every evil consequence that was laid at his feet was a lead weight on his conscience, because they were right.

By his actions and inactions, many people had come to harm. Because of this, he may have lost their trust and respect forever. For a Toa, that was a hard things. Many parts of the Toa Code, such as operating openly in daylight and being subject to the laws they upheld, were there so that Toa could be trusted and respected, rather than feared. It was time for him to speak up and answer for his choices in the hope that he might regain those things in some measure, at least as much as he could.

"Doubt my motives if you have to, but trust this. If Tawhito detects any kind of lie here, you can throw be into a cells with the Dark Hunters because I might as well be one of them. I am not a rogue toa. I still uphold the Toa Code and three virtues, and I have, at all points since this mess began, acted to the best of my ability to protect others from harm as a Toa should, even at great cost to myself.

"You asked why I lied to the prisoner? To protect Katipo. Yes, the thing is here, though I wish it were not. I brought it here believing that it would be greatly difficult for any malicious force to track it and me back here to an isolated city from which a handful of beings emerge only rarely. To prevent its power from falling into evil hands, I took it upon myself to hide it where I hoped it would not be found. That plan failed.I tried to make it work, but now the secret seems to be out, and we needed something else. So I told the hunter I had sent it away. If she believes me and passes on that belief to others, they will leave Katipo to search elsewhere. Our people here will be safe, and the hunters will never obtain their prize."

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

IC Kama:

Kama snuck behind the door just as Orde finished his speech. Kama raised a confused eyebrow form his hiding spot, and waited to hear more.

IC: Kharadak (South Road)

cooooonnnnnsssssuuuuuuummmmeeeeeee

The meal in front of him smelled of metal and sweat. The Beast would have to crack open the shell to get at the feast underneath.

The knife in the Beast's hand was gripped tightly, to the point at which any more strain on its fingers would tear its muscles.

Carefully eyeing its prey, the Beast found the perfect place to strike - a small gap in the armor, mid back.

It would take quite the eye to land a blow that accurate...

...but the Beast in the Shadows was too hungry to care.

Hoisting the blade high above his head, eyes right on the tiny gap, the Beast stabbed downwards.

Edited by Perpetual Darkness

"And if they don't believe you?" Kware asked. He crossed his arms. "Maybe they will, I don't know. But if they don't, we're going to be back where we started, or worse, because they aren't going to stop until they have what want."

Kware's instincts kept telling him to back out, to get away. Honestly, he wasn't convinced the hunter had bought the story. Tawhito hadn't exactly played it cool when he noticed Orde was lying. However, Dark Hunters were bad enemies to have, and Kware doubted they would forget the role he played in the assault just a day earlier. For the time being, he thought it would probably be best to just stay put.

And helping out would at least give him something to do.

GM IC: "For the moment, we must be patient" Tawhito decided. "We must know whether Orde's deception has been successful before we can decide how these hunters can be punished. Normally, I would be happy to keep them locked up here for a thousand years or more, since we cannot fine them, they are too dangerous to put to work and there seems little chance of rehabilitation. In keeping them here, we could keep them from committing  much evil in the wider world.

"However, it seems that at least one must be set free to bear a message back to Odina. Lariska spoke the truth when she said that more hunters would be sent when the first failed, for their master greatly desires this object of power, this thing of which we still-" he shot a look of great displeasure at Orde, who only shrugged in response "-know nothing." Sending the message ourselves would do little to convince him of our lack, but perhaps hearing it from the lips of his own hunters would suffice. As Orde has said, that seems to be our best hope."

ppg2.png

IC: Daltrahk

Daltrahk woke, at what he thought was the worst time. People talking around him, something about an orme, and there was-

He got up and looked around, confused. He had gone to sleep in the basement. "Who knows how I got here" he added "except it might have to do with telling big and hungry that he smelled like an alcoholic, and then being punched, and going unconscious, but.... Probably not." He got up slowly and decided to see what was occurring topside.

IC Arsenal:

The big Nuurahkh walked down teh street. If a machine had emotions, Arsenal would be feeling disappointed. He had just visited a Vortixx craftsman, who he hoped could repair his navigation, but the Vortixx hadn't been able to. ABout five doors down, Arsenal stopped, He turned and carefully read the red Matoran letters he had placed over his hut door to make sure he could find it. He walked in, closed the door, and stepped backwards into a charging chamber he had gotten a Vortixx to build into his hut for him. His eyes closed as his systems began their charging sequence.

IC Daltrahk

"Hello everybody, what's shakin? Hopefully no beverages! Ha ha hah.. heh... um..." announced Daltrahk as soon as he appeared in the room. From the look of everyone's faces, Daltrahk either had the biggest crowd in his life, or he was about to do a marathon. No one said a word, but the silence was shattered eventually.

IC Daltrahk

Daltrahk ran, faster and faster to get out of the local bar. Smashing out of the window, he ran through the major streets, angry bar-goers every which-way. After finally running through one of the largest buildings in town, he grabbed a large wooden beam to use as a weapon, only to find a flight of stairs, leading to a door. He ran up as fast as he could go, smashed past the Rori standing there, and flew through the door. Rotating 360, he slammed the wooden beam on the door, preventing anyone from coming in. "Poor Rori" he thought, not knowing the Rori would have no trouble with the crowd. Smiling, he turned around to see a group of figures, a toa, and the city's leader.

There was an awkward silence.

OOC: Hey Ghidora, the group you've just run into is actually three stories underground in guard headquarters, in a highly secretive and secure interrogation room. It is the most heavily guarded place in the entire city. It's great that you want your character to be a part of this, but it really isn't a place you can just run into and say hi. Perhaps, as a more plausible introduction, he could join in on the group once they finish the current meeting (which, I hope, for everyone's sake, won't be very long). 

GM IC: Kama's eavesdropping was interrupted by a loud banging coming from Lariska's cell. It seemed that the hunter was wriggling about as much as he stone bonds would allow, causing them to bump up sharply against the wall and floor.

"Not for some time yet" Tawhito decided after a moment's consideration. "We would have to be sure that they truly believe that we do not have thins thing they seek. It would be no use to release one who would immediately go back to looking for it and threatening our citizens."

ppg2.png

OOC: Oops, sorry. I'll fix that.

IC: Daltrahk

Dahltrahk wondered why the city's leader looked... Strange.. He took a step forward and touched the leader's hand, saying "Hey, wake up! You know me, the...uh... " His hand slid right through him like nothing was there. "Well, you probably don't remember me."

Outside, the supposedly helpful Rori only directed the drunkards through a back passage, into the building. Daltrahk saw the "city leader" fade right before his eyes. "That's odd... I don't feel drunk... I don't drink!" But just then the windows smashed inwards, the wall opened up, and a completely unnoticed door swung wide open. "Game's over, jigsaw! No running from us now!'

Daltrahk stood calmly in the middle of the room. No way to run now, he analyzed his crowd. To his surprise, most of them weren't drunk, just infuriated. "All right, party time!" He looked around the room for his first attacker. It was a drunk toa, flailing his arms as he charged with his fire power blazing. The toa didn't live long, as Daltrahk simply tossed him into the air, and smashed his skull on the way down. "A messy mess," he muttered, "but it had to be done." The room was now full of those happy faces, all willing to show Daltrahk their thanks.

This is where Daltrahk really got angry. No, he didn't turn green. He used his illusion to turn into a colossal skakdi. Now, we see who's attacking who!" Breathing fire, the colossal illusion scared every one of them out of the building. Happy to find them gone, Daltrahk turned towards the barred door, unbarred it, and reeled it open. The Rori was just standing there, good as he was, until he got throttled just then by Daltrahk. "Okay, answers!" he bellowed, even though the Rori was taller than him. "Why was there an artifitial room, with artifitial people in it? Well, answer!"

It took five minuites for the Rori to talk. "Okay, okay, i'll talk. I am here as a guard whenever Turaga Tawhito has a meeting. This whole building, it is a decoy. Look." And the Rori made an image of Tawhito right there, in front of him. "I can create realistic illusions of people-" Daltrahk grinned. "Okay where do I find Tohito, or whatever you said his name was? Well?"

Daltrahk walked the city streets, depressed. The Rori had had no clue where Tawhito was, or the meeting, just decoys. "And they sure worked well," he thought. "Hello, what's that?" Daltrahk had noticed, in the distance, there was a group of heavily armed guards, all incredibly powerful. Now, Daltrahk was no dummy, and knew better than to snoop around heavily armed beings. But the curiosity was too much for him, and he hid behind a large dumpster, hoping to catch a glance or two.

IC: Kama's eyes flew open. Activating his speed power, he sped off down teh hall, noting Lariska's position and whether she had managed to snatch any weapons, then turned and zoomed towards teh room.

GM IC: Lariska hadn't managed to get free or snatch anything, but the stone block she was encased in was rocking violently from side to side. It seemed that the main purpose of her action had been to make the loud noise that had summoned the guard.

"That was quick" she commented. "Good job. Now, go and tell your Turaga that I have... reconsidered my position. I have new information for him, and I'd like to make a deal." 

ppg2.png

IC Kama:

Kama nervously stopped before turning around. He listened to the Dark Hunter, then when she had finished, Kama sped to the conference room. "Er, hello?" he asked tentatively.

IC Kama:

The Rori quickly relayed Lariska's  message.

GM IC: "Well then, bring her back in" Tawhito quickly told him. "I'll gladly hear anything more on the subject of this mystery. As for a deal, well, let's hear her first."

Kama sped off again, and Turano quickly put a hand on Orde's shoulder, turning the shorter being to face him. "Do you have any idea what this extra information is?" he asked sternly, "Or am I about to learn that you have been lying to me again?"

"I do not" Orde said, shrugging his shoulder. The Hirohi's hand came off as the Toa continued. "What more she could say that she believes we might value is beyond me."

"Truth" Tawhito grunted as Kama brought Lariska back in and stood her stone prison up on its end. "That mask is a rode, right?" she began, gesturing with her chin towards Twahito

"It is" Tawhito replied seriously. "See that you tell no lies here. I will know of any dishonesty you speak."

"Good, I'll shoot straight then" the hunter shot back. "You're toa there still has our prize, but you didn't know it. That's why you sent me out earlier. You had bought his story right up until he had to say it in front of you, plainly and without any verbal tricks. It caught you off guard, so you ended the interrogation. It's the only reason that makes sense. You were in full judicial flow and then suddenly just stopped once he started talking. You heard the lie."

In the background, Turano groaned.

"So, whether you admit it or not, you still have it, and you still need my help. Because we weren't the only ones out there who wanted it. We wanted to sneak in quickly, learn where it was, steal the thing and be gone again. Because even we wouldn't want to fight a Makuta."

"Yeah, that's right" Lariska panted out. She was shaking slightly now, hoping against hope that this gambit might pay off. "Use that fancy mask of yours and see that I'm telling the truth. Not long after we got here, we were scouting around in the caves looking for a place to set up base when we saw him, a Makuta leaning over a vat in the rahi lab he had set up. We watched from across a deep chasm, but he was silhouetted in the light of the glowing liquid. We could see him plain as day, and he was a Makuta. You could just tell. After that, we knew we'd have to hurry and make our move before he did. We nabbed him - " Turano " - and her" Teota. "but obviously that didn't work for us. Now we're all in a bind, because neither of us is going to be able to keep anything from that Makuta once he finishes making whatever rahi and decides to make his move. Not us, because we're stuck in prison and you because he knows where you live."

"Together, though, we might have a chance. My Dark Hunters are not without skill in combat, and with your troops as well, we could attack the Makuta and drive him off. We would both have a better chance at getting what we want. That's my deal. Let us out of our cells for long enough to make an attack, and we'll show you the way to his labs and help you get rid of the biggest threat to your city."

"Truth." Tawhito spat the word out like a curse.

Edited by The Lorax

ppg2.png

IC: (Karaihe)

Karaihe stomped off to the large cavern to the south of the city where ore was being mined.

At least he wasn't in chains anymore, but he hated  the mining work just as much as ever...it was repetitive, it was dull and some of the other miners were...not the friendliest.

But it was work and it was work that he was good at (other than his natural strength, he had had a lot of practice).

Glancing sideways, Karaihe could see many different species hacking aimlessly at the rock wall; they were mostly matoran, there were some tarore and other less common beings, and - Karaihe's grey eyes narrowed at this point - even a few vortixx.

Karaihe lifted his massive pickaxe, ready to excavate another chunk of rock with his tool, and using his power, he suddenly sensed tremors in the earth, getting nearer and nearer.

Now even those without the power could hear it too, a rumbling in the walls of  the massive mining cavern.

As dust began to fall from the roof, a few of the workers flung down their tools and ran for the exit, only to be crushed by massive lumps of stone falling from the roof of the cavern.

More and more chunks began falling from the roof and sides as beings struggled to stand on the now massively vibrating floor of the cavern, the thunderous rumbling now at an almost unbearable volume.

He needed another Skakdi to use his power with or, even better, a toa, but time was running out...

Edited by Silo

Kathok

IC Ahktu:

Ahktu looked around the cavern, at all teh shaking. He was extremely scared, but tried not to show it. He tried to use his Arthron to find the source, but all the shaking interfered with his readings. He ran towards teh big Skakdi, who looked like he knew mining very well, and asked "Sir, I may be able to somewhat stabilize the cavern if I can copy an Earth-based power."

"I'm crystal and a bit of stone mate, but I need another skakdi to access those powers anyw- "

The end of  Karaihe's answer to Ahktu's question was drowned out by the rumbling getting even louder...

"We need to get out of here, and fast" he said in a gruff voice. At this point, the dust and rocks were a constant hail from the ceiling. It would not be long before the entire cavern caved in.

Without a moment's hesitation, Karaihe started running through the rain of debris to a smaller tunnel entrance near them, which the other workers didn't seem to have noticed.

"Come on" he shouted back to Ahktu.

OOC: I can't seem to find your character's profile page, or at least it doesn't come up when you search "Ahktu"...could you just give me a brief description of his apperance, species etc?

Edited by Silo

Kathok

"I'm crystal and a bit of stone mate, but I need another skakdi to access those powers anyw- "

The end of  Karaihe's answer to Ahktu's question was drowned out by the rumbling getting even louder...

"We need to get out of here, and fast" he said in a gruff voice. At this point, the dust and rocks were a constant hail from the ceiling. It would not be long before the entire cavern caved in.

Without a moment's hesitation, Karaihe started running through the rain of debris to a smaller tunnel entrance near them, which the other workers didn't seem to have noticed.

"Come on" he shouted back to Ahktuu.

OOC: I can't seem to find your character's profile page, or at least it doesn't come up when you search "Ahktu"...could you just give me a brief description of his apperance, species etc?

OOC: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/13129-characters-in-the-dark/?p=683209 ;)

Kware's mouth dropped open. A Makuta? Here?

After a moment, he found his voice again. "Well... that would at least explain the rahi." He shook his head. "Whatever this thing is everyone's looking for must be worse than I thought."

Teota was surprised that a Makuta would be here, but instead of the expected fear, she felt a perverse sense of relief, even excitement. She wasn't sure why. She supposed part of the reason was that the presence of a Makuta would speed things up. She wouldn't have to worry about sitting around. Still, there was something more that she couldn't quite identify.

That... that scared her.

After Kware spoke, she added, "Yeah, and you'd better hope there's only one Makuta here."

GM IC: The miners scattered in every direction, some clutching white-knuckled at their tools for protection, while others simply threw down their equipment and ran, either deeper into the mines or back towards the city above. Dust fell like a thick, choking fog from the ceiling, and was soon joined by a hail of rocks as the cave system was shaken like a muaka shakes a kinloka in its jaws.

Finally, the source of the rumbling crashed through a tunnel wall and revealed itself. Huge, tentacled, bleached white and eyeless, these subterranean worms were occasionally disturbed by miners throughout the universe, and though they caused great destruction, they did so out of blind might and indifference than any malevolence. This one was different.

It was segmented like an insect, and at each junction of its gigantic body, a pair of short but powerful legs sprouted out, each ending in a trio of wickedly sharp claws. On its back, a pair of fly-like wings mirrored the legs, but it seemed that the appendages would never be able to lift the things great bulk, even of it were not trapped in a confined underground space. The worm's body was nearly as high as the tunnel's ceiling and so long that its end could not yet be seen as more and more of it slithered into the mining tunnel. It was 50 feet and counting, as more and more of those slimy white sections skittered out of the dark rock in their clawed feet.

Hearing the yells of the miners all around it, the worm turned its head back and forth, the tentacles around its gaping mouth waggling obscenely. It paused for a moment, and then continued its march forward, turning away from the city and further down towards the dead-end mining tunnel where Ahktu and Karaihe were. With their backs to the dead-end stone, the two miners were now caught there as the worm skidded closer.

ppg2.png

As the gigantic rahi turned its eyeless stare on him, Karaihe roared with rage. The supposed exit tunnel was a dead end due to a section of its roof having fallen in, blocking the passage with a massive boulder, and would collapse along with the rest of the huge mining cavern soon.

​Turning to the boulder, he focused with his corruption vision, weakening the massive slab of rock and debris until it collapsed into rubble, which still blocked a third of the tunnel's height but allowed for a being to get through.

"Go!" he shouted to Ahktu beside him.

Seeing Ahktu's expression, he added "I'll be along soon enough" but before the mimicrian could ask him why he wasn't coming now, Karaihe had started running headlong at the colossal mutant rahi, screaming battle cries and, dropping his mining tool to the ground, drawing his huge double-handed diamond-edged broadsword.

He hadn't felt so good in centuries.

Edited by Silo

Kathok

IC: Ahktu

Ahktu scurried into the hole, and helplessly watched Karaihe charge. The only ability he had right now was simple night vision, but maybe.... Ahktu quickly went over what he knew bout Rahi, particularly underground ones. They were often blind, as this one seemed to be, and he thought he remembered that they often used hearing or echolocation to find their prey. That gave him an idea. Ahktu quickly began using his Arthron to broadcast sonic pulses that he and Karaihe could not hear, but hopefully the Rahi could, trying to confuse it.

As Karaihe charged towards the monster, it seemed to thrash this way and that as if under attack by invisible foes.

Now that the beast was mostly out of the rock and into the cavern, the cavern had stopped vibrating as much, but if the creature got past them and the workers scrambling for safety, it would destroy and damage countless mining caverns and tunnels all around Katipo causing the the injury and death of hundreds. It had to be stopped.

With a curse, Karaihe leaped onto the blind head of the creature slashing at it wildly with his broadsword...

And at that moment, the ceiling of the cavern fell in.

Edited by Silo

Kathok

IC Ahktu:

Ahktu gasped only to cough. at the dust. "Karaihe, get in here now!!!" he yelled, retreating further down teh small tunnel.

Karaihe leaped at the tunnel, turning and running through the falling roof, but was too late - a boulder blocked his way. Diving for cover under a shelf jutting out from it, the rest of the roof fell crushing the rahi and the workers still in the cavern.

Hope they dig me out before I completely suffocate, he thought. Then everything went black.

Kathok

IC Ahktu:

In the pitch-black, Ahktu could see very little, despite having copied the Onu-Matoran power of night vision beforehand. Activating his Arthron, he began to dig around the boulder toward teh cavern.

After the roof fell, it was silent for a long while. The only sounds came from the laboured breathing for the two trapped miners and the occasional plinking of smaller rocks as they fell, slowly settling after the immense forces that had shaken the cavern had once again fallen still. Sometimes, when one of these hit the flattened body of the work, a chitinous crunch would result, and a little more of it black-green guts would fly out. The sticky substance coated almost everything in the tunnel. There had been quite an explosion of it when the work had been suddenly crushed by the tons of falling stone. Plink, plink, plink, splat. Drip. Drop. Silence.

Voices.

"Down here sir, there were two more behind me who couldn't get out."

"What do you think their chances are?"

"Between that worm and the cave-in? Not good. One was a Skakdi, and he was charging the thing. Mad."

"We will look anyway" Karoro replied authoritatively. "It was a lucky thing that I was down here looking over the new expansion. Who knows how long it would have taken if you had needed to go up to Tawhito's rabble of guards for help."

There was a further silence as the party came further forward, picking their way over fallen stones to where the cavern had once been. Several seconds ticked away with no footsteps at all before one of the miners finally gave a low whistle.

"Mata Nui protect us" he breathed. "Not good".

"No, wait a minute" a second miner piped up. "Look at that over there. There might be something moving".

"I don't - "

Yes, look - "

"There can't - "

"Out of my way" Karoro commanded. A beam of energy lit the cavern with a faint glow of green power. The Kodura was slowly making his way forward, following the line of his weakening beam. He kept it pointed straight before him, and slowly but surely, the great boulders in front of him began to crumble away, no longer able to support their own weight and that of the rocks above them. It was a careful process, as he didn't want to cause a second cave-in, be eventually, Karoro's long strides brought him to within a few bio of the two trapped beings, and he switched off the beam.

ppg2.png