Set Review: 70212 CHI Sir Fangar

I'm really loving this set. It has two of my favorite things: Ice and Cats.(Just look at my avatar) This is the only one I'm really disappointed to not get, and if I don't win it, I'll most likely go for the import.

Edited by Blizzard Hazard: Valendale

Not much more pleased with the torso build in this set than with the one in CHI Mungus. The cape and the "ribs" help fill out those gaps slightly so they're not quite so conspicuous, but on the whole the torso build still looks unnatural since the shoulders sit out so far from the chest. Also, the torso is pitifully thin, and the way the cape sort of hangs limp between the torso and the spikes on the back looks rather awkward — if there were some way to have it fit OVER the spikes on the back, it'd give his torso some much-needed volume when seen from the side. All things considered, I feel as though every previous set to boast such wide shoulders (Hulk, Stormer XL, Furno XL, CHI Gorzan, Frost Beast, and Furno Jet Machine) has been more effective at bulking up the rest of the torso as well.

There's some asymmetry in this build, but I don't think it's nearly as effective here as in CHI Mungus, whose left arm and right leg were dominated by Tr. Light Blue while the opposite arm and leg were colored more normally. Here, the one Tr. Light Blue lower leg segment is covered with a Titanium Metallic shell identical to the one on the opposite leg, so the difference in coloration is barely noticeable. At that point, they might as well have given him symmetrical legs, instead of giving him a single lower leg in each color which reduces the set's value as a parts pack.

The weapon is neat, though not particularly creative compared to many of the other weapons in this wave of sets.

As far as new parts are concerned, the recolored feet and limb sections are perhaps the most versatile here. The ice spikes are nice, though functionally they're more or less the same as this piece from 2010 — the difference is purely aesthetic. The head is nicely designed, but specialized like all the Chima constraction heads. I've already discussed my dislike for the new torso shells at length — although stylish, they're simply far more specialized than a piece that size ought to be, and a step backwards from all other torso shell designs in terms of versatility.

All things considered, I'm not terribly interested in this set. Good review, though.