Still Alive...

glados_preview.jpg

"And believe me, I am still alive..."

I adore the Portal games. I was very disappointed to see the Thinking With Portals CUUSOO project shot down at review stage, so, denied official Lego Portal sets, I made my own.

The most difficult and rewarding part of this project was, of course, GLaDOS. I spent several hours over my Easter break trying to get the build right. I've seen a lot of GLaDOS MOCs, and they're all excellent, but they tend to take a certain amount of artistic license. I've tried to be as faithful as possible to her in-game appearance (her rebuilt appearance in Portal 2, that is).

I've put a lot of time and effort into this MOC, and I hope it shows. Comments, questions and constructive criticism are all welcome!

(See the Flickr descriptions for extra info and commentaries)

GLaDOS:

Main

Front Right

Front Left

Back Right

Back Left

Bottom

Frame

Head

Body

Cables

Minifigs:

Chell (alternate)

Wheatley

Space Core

Misc:

"Oh. It's YOU."

The 'Family'

The Escape

The Cake

Core Transfer Complete

Edited by Ghosthands
  • Upvote 17

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

*clap*

*clap*

*clap*

Oh, good. My slow clap processor made it into this thing. So we have that.

Federal regulations require me to inform you that this MOC is looking pretty good​.

Aaaanyways, GH, you've outdone yourself this time. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. I'm GLaD to see more imp0rtant creations be posted here. I wish I had as much of an open VALVe of creativity as you do when it comes to MOCing. Life gave you some awesome lemons, that's all I gotta say. I'm sure the other Gabe that we all know about would be proud.

Joking aside, you've done a faithful recreation of 4 of my favorite characters in video games. Your custom decals are very clean and spatially organized in a manner that is both pleasing to the eye and fitting with the theme, if you think about it. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Edited by BULiK
  • Upvote 2

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

*clap*

*clap*

*clap*

Oh, good. My slow clap processor made it into this thing. So we have that.

Federal regulations require me to inform you that this MOC is looking pretty good​.

Aaaanyways, GH, you've outdone yourself this time. I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. I'm GLaD to see more imp0rtant creations be posted here. I wish I had as much of an open VALVe of creativity as you do when it comes to MOCing. Life gave you some awesome lemons, that's all I gotta say. I'm sure the other Gabe that we all know about would be proud.

Joking aside, you've done a faithful recreation of 4 of my favorite characters in video games. Your custom decals are very clean and spatially organized in a manner that is both pleasing to the eye and fitting with the theme, if you think about it. I can't wait to see what you

Thanks very much, Bulik me ol' matey. A big hand for this, man, everyone - he's the guy who sold me the Portal games for cheap, so without him, this MOC would not be here today! XD

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I have already commented on this on Skype, but I felt like opening my opinions up here:
The GLaDOS is awesome. There are some proportionality problems which I previously brought up, but it's so slight that I doubt you could make a difference with LEGO pieces. It is probably the best GLaDOS MOC I have seen thus far.

The core, though, definitely has the best design. While there is perhaps a little too much white and empty space, you captured the overall shape far better than anyone else has, and the stickers are really nice. And the Space Core's presence makes me very happy. :)

but yeah overall this is really great and a brilliant representation of the characters, and as such i tip my hat to you

(would be awesome if you created a Portal Chell and a few other cores, but seeing as you have on the whole drawn this from Portal 2 and gotten in all the main characters and the Space Core, that's kind of justified and it is still awesome and I applaud you)

- Indigo Individual

• Upvote 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I have already commented on this on Skype, but I felt like opening my opinions up here:

The GLaDOS is awesome. There are some proportionality problems which I previously brought up, but it's so slight that I doubt you could make a difference with LEGO pieces. It is probably the best GLaDOS MOC I have seen thus far.

The core, though, definitely has the best design. While there is perhaps a little too much white and empty space, you captured the overall shape far better than anyone else has, and the stickers are really nice. And the Space Core's presence makes me very happy. :)

but yeah overall this is really great and a brilliant representation of the characters, and as such i tip my hat to you

(would be awesome if you created a Portal Chell and a few other cores, but seeing as you have on the whole drawn this from Portal 2 and gotten in all the main characters and the Space Core, that's kind of justified and it is still awesome and I applaud you)

- Indigo Individual

I thank you once again ^^

And fear not - I shall return to the Portal games in my odyssey of video-game-minifig-customisation. I intend to make all the characters you've mentioned, and more. ATLAS and P-Body, for example, are high on the list. As for who else...well, let's just say I've been trying to decide on the best piece to represent a lemon ;)

• Upvote 1

While I have never played Portal, you've done some nice work here! I like how you managed to use pieces to hang GLaDOS onto a System-made ceiling. I also like what you did with Chell there! And the cake was a nice touch.

mindeth the cobwebs

While I have never played Portal, you've done some nice work here! I like how you managed to use pieces to hang GLaDOS onto a System-made ceiling. I also like what you did with Chell there! And the cake was a nice touch.

Yeah, I had to find a way to make her free-standing, so I went for something simplistic that wouldn't distract from the model itself, while still evoking the architecture of the location she inhabits.

I'd highly recommend that you play the games if you get the chance. They're fantastic.

Yeah, I had to find a way to make her free-standing, so I went for something simplistic that wouldn't distract from the model itself, while still evoking the architecture of the location she inhabits.

I'd highly recommend that you play the games if you get the chance. They're fantastic.

It complements the model nicely!

I'll have to sometime, but I lack the greens necessary to get them! :D

mindeth the cobwebs

I'll have to sometime, but I lack the greens necessary to get them! :D

Ah yes, of course. Same for me, really - I only tend to get things in Humble Bundles these days. Mind you, there's a Steam sale coming up soon...

Ah, I don't have a Steam account. Besides, I'm saving up my greens for something else at the moment.

mindeth the cobwebs

It is incredible how you got this GLADoS so accurate! The head is probably my favorite part, because everything meshes together perfectly!

Thanks very much! That's exactly what I was going for - accuracy to the source material. And yeah, I was very happy with the head :). LDD was less happy...:P

Oh, bravo! I do appreciate how you made this.

I love the Portal games so very much, and seeing them so very nicely crafted into LEGO is wonderful.

Congratulations again, you dangerous, mute, lunatic. :P

So you know what? you win! Just go make more!

Edited by ghidora131
  • Upvote 1

Oh, bravo! I do appreciate how you made this.

I love the Portal games so very much, and seeing them so very nicely crafted into LEGO is wonderful.

Congratulations again, you dangerous, mute, lunatic. :P

So you know what? you win! Just go make more!

Thanks! XD

Yep, the plan is to make more, though I may not be able to do so for a while. My University term is ending in a couple of weeks, and then I'm going home. The good news is that home is where the Lego is. The bad news is that University is where the good-quality printer is! I'll probably build a few things over the summer and design some decals, but I probably won't be able to put up anything new until September/October.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely worth the front page. A fantastic model from a great game. I like your addition of the Aperture logo, as small as it is (even on the real GLaDOS) it's nice to see you didn't neglect it. Your decals make up for details that would be difficult to build at this scale (such as the red highlights). Probably one of the most accurate representations I've seen, despite a few minor details (for example, using yellow rather than orange (does LEGO even have orange tubes?); but the idea behind that is obvious and fits well in this model).

Now all you need are some video screens and a couple extra cores and you'll have the end battle for the first game, too!

I would pay many quids to have this as a set.

Excellent! And it's even got custom decals too - I praise your attention to detail here!

Thanks!

Definitely worth the front page. A fantastic model from a great game. I like your addition of the Aperture logo, as small as it is (even on the real GLaDOS) it's nice to see you didn't neglect it. Your decals make up for details that would be difficult to build at this scale (such as the red highlights). Probably one of the most accurate representations I've seen, despite a few minor details (for example, using yellow rather than orange (does LEGO even have orange tubes?); but the idea behind that is obvious and fits well in this model).

Now all you need are some video screens and a couple extra cores and you'll have the end battle for the first game, too!

Thanks very much for the feedback! Yeah, I'd have needed keetorange tubes to get the colour just right. Don't know if Lego make them in the right length in that colour, but the Bricklink stores I frequent certainly didn't, so I made do with yellow.

Hehe, not a bad idea. I do intend to make the rest of the cores some time, at least. Although, GLaDOS did look rather different in the first game...maybe I should take some artistic license and try to make her look as she would if Valve re-made Portal to fit better with its sequel  ;)

Edited by Ghosthands

• Black Six featured this topic
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 1:40 AM, KarateKevM said:

Hi, I've been a huge fan of this creation for some time now. I was wondering if you ever plan on releasing instruction on how to replicate this.

Thanks! 

To be honest, it's unlikely. I never made any instructions for it at the time, the model itself is currently in several pieces in a box somewhere, and I haven't really got the time to dig it out and figure out how to put together an instruction set. However, as I recall it wasn't a hugely complex build, so I'd have thought you could probably reverse-engineer it from the gallery photos without too much difficulty.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I still have the decal designs saved somewhere, so I'd be happy to share those if you'd like!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, Ghosthands said:

Thanks! 

To be honest, it's unlikely. I never made any instructions for it at the time, the model itself is currently in several pieces in a box somewhere, and I haven't really got the time to dig it out and figure out how to put together an instruction set. However, as I recall it wasn't a hugely complex build, so I'd have thought you could probably reverse-engineer it from the gallery photos without too much difficulty.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I still have the decal designs saved somewhere, so I'd be happy to share those if you'd like!

Hi, I'm sorry that I responded to this so late, I'm just now seeing it. So far, I have tried to recreate GLaDOS using the photos given and as of right now it's been a struggle. However, I Have managed to build the frame and the head. The body is the hardest part to recreate for me as of right now. Also, If it's not too much work, do you mind sharing the decal designs?