witch Bionicle generation is your favorite

in before everyone saying 2001 was the best etc etc

darn geewunners

personally the metru nui saga will always be my favorite, just because that was when i got into bionicle & and it has a lot of nostalgia value for me

my judgment on the first three years is biased by the MNOGs; the actual stories weren't quite as good as those two games

My favourite is the Toa Inika. with the Piraka and the Barraki. And the Phantoka/Mistika saga. where the Toa Nuva were transformed again by Artahka, and they had to face their strongest enemy, the Brotherhood of the Makuta.

Edited by bohrokmaster

Why, yes, the witch generation was indeed my favorite. How could you tell? :P

Misspellings aside, I outlined my thoughts on the best years of BIONICLE in another topic. Most of what I would say here is covered in that post.

However, I must add that I do hold a certain nostalgia for the island of Mata Nui years; the sets and atmosphere were simply stunning. And, of course, they are the years that got me hooked on BIONICLE, so I owe them for that. However, the story was not especially developed at that stage, and was honestly somewhat repetitive, so I must give the crown of "best year" to other years.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

We've just come back from Vakama telling a story that lasted a few weeks in his world and two years in ours. In other words, we just spent two years on backstory. (Not to mention the flashback within a flashback of the Toa Hagah.) The Matoran have returned to Metru Nui, everything seems to be going great, and then—

"Mata Nui is not asleep. He is dying." BAM.

"So, you need to go to this island called Voya Nui to retrieve the legendary Mask of Life, which can save his life." Okey dokey. Shouldn't be too hard, right? On your way, Toa Nuva!

Now we get transported to Voya Nui. It's a hard life the Matoran have there. Garan is doing his best to keep it all together (the Voya Nui Matoran resistance would make great Toa), but food and water is scarce, and that can't be helped.

Enter the Piraka.

Man, these guys are awesome. I could read the description of their powers for hours. You think shielding, control of fire, and a shiny sword are cool? How about heat vision, mental blasts, and a dual lava launcher and grip? They were like gangsters given superpowers.

They take over the whole island, enslave the villagers, and try to drain the volcano to get to the Mask of Life.

And they beat the Toa Nuva. Seriously. They had them all knocked out and were going to throw them into the volcano. (Side note: Onua isn't that well characterized in the storyline, but the battle scene shows his noble nature. He was the last Toa left at full strength in the battle with the Piraka. He considered running away, as anyone would, but "In that moment, he made his decision. He would live or die here, as a Toa Nuva.") If a volcanic eruption hadn't caused the Piraka to flee, we could have had a very different Kingdom or worse.

So, the first half of the year is all about darkness. But then six brave Matoran set out on a rescue mission, and change the course of history. The second half of the year is about light.

The Inika will always be my favourite Toa. I don't care that the Toa Mata/Nuva played a bigger storyline role; Nuparu looks like the most triumphant soldier you can imagine, standing there in the rain on the front of his set. These guys beat the Piraka against all odds. How can you not love Jaller's words "I'll give you some time to consider surrendering. Oops, time's up. Let's do what we came for, friends: let's take 'em down!"

How does this year end? Not with the Great Spirit awakening, but the beginning of a new saga, a journey to the only place where he can be awakened. I followed the Mahri Nui story, but it didn't hold me as well as Voya Nui did.

And they absolutely nailed it with that whole gritty, dirty look, the All-American Rejects, and the silhouette of Voya Nui. No other graphic design in Bionicle attracted me as those hexagons did.

It was this commercial that hooked me on Bionicle forever.

2006 was Bionicle as it should always have been: concrete, down-and-dirty, good versus evil in its purest form with the Piraka versus Inika.

Edited by WhereFMF
  • Upvote 5

I agree with you wholeheartedly, but I still think the Toa Nuva and the Toa Inika are both great heroes (or warriors) who share the same great cause. and I wish Greg wrote the story differently where they could team up, have a big battle with the Piraka, an alliance with Axonn, Tahu and Zaktan fighting again, while one of the Nuva and Inika search for the mask of life IMO.

And after the end of 2006, both Toa found the Mask of Life, after they defeated vezon, matoro held the mask from the frozen vezon, the mask flew away quickly from matoro's hands and sunk into the ocean. The Toa Nuva said their goodbye and went on with their own mission while the Toa Inika travelled to Mahri Nui underwater, later transformed into Toa Mahri as the start of 2007.

Edited by bohrokmaster
  • Upvote 1

I know I've answered this question many times before. But I'm suddenly more uncertain. I'd usually say 2001, even though I wasn't into Bionicle then, but I just love the mystery of it.

But Metru Nui (original) was when I joined, so there's a good amount of nostalgia there.

But then Voya Nui was when I really got into the story, and I loved the darker side with the Piraka and all.

I guess, overall, I'd still say 2001-2. But I loved all of them, so very much.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'm a die hard "genwunner." :P My first copies of the Lego Club Magazine contain vague ads for the then-upcoming Bionicle series, so that should give you an idea of how long ago I joined the Club, ha ha. I absolutely loved the unique feel of the 2001 arc, my very first Bionicle model (Tahu) is from that year, my uncle and I used to geek out over that series, and the first three comics are pretty much responsible for my love of comic-books. So yeah, a lot of happy memories from that year. :)

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

The Mask Of Life saga, when we were introduced to the cultures and characters of the entire Matoran Universe (or close enough to it).

• Upvote 2

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Metru Nui really got me, and I think that one of the biggest strengths it had was the contrast to the Mata Nui stuff, because it had a completely different feeling to it and had its own mysterious vibe and all this intrigue around it seeing as it was basically a prequel. The setting of the city of legends was mesmerizing and I fell in love with it. I loooved the first Bionicle movie, but Legends of Metru Nui just WOW it was amazing. I love love love the Mata Nui stuff and the Mask of Life arc, I basically love everything, but Metru Nui was really memorable and was definitely the turning point for Bionicle going in a new direction. I loved the Visorak nonsense but it didn't stick as well as the 2004 story for me, so yeah. Metru Nui for sure is my favorite, although to be honest my favorite probably moves around a lot depending on my mood and nostalgia level :P

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

The Mask of Life saga. A lot of my favorite characters were introduced in it. (Axonn, Lesovikk, Brutaka, Hydraxon, etc.) Many new villains were brought into the story as well. It was also in this saga that we started getting the web serials, which kept a lot of characters in the story that otherwise would've been pushed to the side for the new ones. And who could forget the endings of the 07 and 08 storylines. Both of them were really good, particularly the latter. Teridax winning in the end was a great way to end that saga.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The Metru Nui saga was, is, and always will be my favorite arc. That was also when I first started collecting BIONICLE. I was 5 years old at the time, so maybe it just imprinted on me, but it's still my favorite.

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

• 2 weeks later...

I'mma go with 2003-2004. Those were probably the golden years of my time in the fandom. I started getting/playing with the sets in 2001, got into the story in 2002, but 2003 was when I joined BZPower and got a whole new insight on Bionicle, and 2004 was just more of that.