C/C++

Athmos

I think I'll have to do it old-school; to B&N I go!

Pretty much this, because teaching yourself to program with C is very hard even though the language itself is pretty easy. In my experience consider buying a textbook for C++ and looking at a few of the chapters then experimenting a bit. However because C had a huge influence on programming many languages today use the same or similar syntax. For example, my computer teacher told me that if I learned Java I would learn C++. That's just me though. If you don't want textbooks, I'm sure youtube has a ton of C++ tutorials. Hope that helps.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

I think I'll have to do it old-school; to B&N I go!

Pretty much this, because teaching yourself to program with C is very hard even though the language itself is pretty easy. In my experience consider buying a textbook for C++ and looking at a few of the chapters then experimenting a bit. However because C had a huge influence on programming many languages today use the same or similar syntax. For example, my computer teacher told me that if I learned Java I would learn C++. That's just me though. If you don't want textbooks, I'm sure youtube has a ton of C++ tutorials. Hope that helps.

I'll probably end up using a mixture of Youtube and textbooks. I did the same with HTML/CSS.

If you'd like to try an easier language as a step-up, you might want to take a look at Python. Codecademy has an excellent interactive course for it.

I've used Codeacademy before, and Python is one of the languages I'm looking to learn in the distant future.

Edited by Athmos

WIP

A few things to consider: what do you want to use C/C++ for? And have you done much desktop programming already? If the answer to the latter is no, I'd recommend starting with something higher-level, like Java, Python, or C# - it'll help you understand the various concepts involved without dropping you right into the mucky stuff (eg. manual memory management) that C and C++ do.

If you've already had some experience with higher-level languages, then a good textbook for C is The C Programming Language - it's a bit dense, but it's a fantastic guide, and its authors are legendary in the field.

I'm afraid I haven't got as much advice for learning C++, as that's the language I use least; again, if you already know Java or Python (particularly Java), there are resources out there specifically designed for helping people go from one of those languages to C++.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

https://buckysroom.org/videos.php?cat=16 has some tutorial videos you might find useful, but I wouldn't recommend it as your main source.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~