BIONICLE Legacy: New Dawn

The Legendary TNT

official_logo_template_1.png

So, after about a year of preparation and learning, I am ready to start my major goal, which is BIONICLE Legacy, a saga meant to have a feel similar to how the BIONICLE story felt, but still feel new and different.

Legacy will be divided up into three trilogies (each trilogy will have its own set storyline and you will be able to understand the story if you're new), and two prequels. Each book in a trilogy will have chapters and comics that come out monthly will be scenes of that chapter. So at the end of each season, that will be the end of a chapter.

I won't be accepting guest stars or PGS because a) I want it to take place in a semi-canon universe with canon/semi-canon characters. b) I work with a script I write at an earlier date that cannot be deviated from.

I do have where I have made tests and posters, but they are too big to be posted directly. I'm trying to make it as professional looking as possible, since errors distract the reader from the story, the most important part.

Summary? You want a summary?

Ok.

New Dawn takes place on the island of Mata Nui around 250 A.G.C. (After the Great Cataclysm). The Matoran are getting a bit tired of Makuta's threats and attacks, when a hurricane ravages the island. But the hurricane didn't leave just damage. A new variable has entered the equation of island power that could rival Makuta's. Will it help, or harm the Matoran? And can Makuta work it into his plans?

That's all you get, you have to read it now!

Prologue to BIONICLE Legacy

Comic #0

Chapter One: The Storm

Comic #1 (NEW!)

Comic #2 (coming soon!)

Comic #3 (coming soon!)

Comic #4 (coming soon!)

I begin production on the comics this month, I couldn't really do it during the school year. Comics should come out around August/September, depending on what I get done this summer. However, I do have comic #0 I could upload around...late July, depending on how much hype there is. And I'll try to upload pre shot's, without characters or text to satisfy anyone who needs a visual update.

I would also like to thank everyone who worked on the MNOLGSCCK, the DSS, and the Rayg Kit, including notable mentions such as Matoran Onknu, Takuma Nuva, Roablin, Ghosthands, Damaracx the Mad Scientist, and anyone else who has contributed anything at all to these kits. If it weren't for them, this project would be much, much harder.

Comments and criticism are always welcome! And keep checking back for more updates! ;)

Edited by The Legendary TNT
  • Upvote 2

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Researched it a bit. I might experiment with it like I did with the glow and other effects. What I might do is make a normal comic and a 3D one so that people who don't like 3D or get headaches will still enjoy it. Plus anaglyph style will sometimes alter colors (red being the worst, imo), and a lot of the scenes I have in my head I don't want getting ruined. I dunno, it was just an idea I had and want to know what people think of it.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Researched it a bit. I might experiment with it like I did with the glow and other effects. What I might do is make a normal comic and a 3D one so that people who don't like 3D or get headaches will still enjoy it. Plus anaglyph style will sometimes alter colors (red being the worst, imo), and a lot of the scenes I have in my head I don't want getting ruined. I dunno, it was just an idea I had and want to know what people think of it.

Good. As much as I like 3D I might have access to some of the materials needed to create it.

Just saw this, and that poster typography is really creative!

I love how you used the Unity, Duty, and Destiny "swooshes" as the B and the E.

Would these comics heavily be based off the MNOLG sprites?

Yes, the BIONICLE logo was a design Christian Faber made that never got used. Me, seeing it thought "Hm, I wanna do something different. I like it!"

Yeah, the graphics are heavily influenced by mnolg both in scenery and sprites, but I'm going to work rayg and dss into it too for action and distance shots. But even the mnolg material won't be quite mnolg. I want to put my own flair on it, not necessarily give a nostalgia rush, you know what I'm saying? I want people to recognize the old, but be blown away by the new at the same time.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

So, just an update on time frame, I'll get back from New York in about 5 days. Then production on the comic will be back in full swing. Like I said before, I'll probably put up an unfinished panel to show progress. However, I did script a bit of chapter 2 during a bus ride, so progress is being made! So, until I put up the panel, stay frosty.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

teaser1.png

So, here's your little WIP of a panel. It depicts the Ga-Matoran. Nixie, clutching her backpack on a boat.

I'm finished with this panel (had some more effects to add as far as the environment goes), but I have a lot more panels to go for the first comic. But, the up side is: I'm back from New York! So, work will begin on the comics at a much faster rate.

Update: Fourth panel done of the first comic. It looks like I have about 15 panels to go with two or three being super easy (just a MNOLG screen shot with maybe a basic effect and quote bubbles).

Update: Fifth panel is done. Took longer than I expected. <_< But, at least I only have 14 left to go now that the sixth is done too.

So, does anyone have any questions, thoughts, or concerns about what I'm doing here? This is a very complicated series and a very complicated process, so if there are any questions, please ask. Oh, and what sort of sneak peek stuff do you want to see next? I have comic #0 set for late July, early August (depending on when band camp is), but do you guys want a character list, character bios, character art? Don't worry, I won't be spoiling anything. :P

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to actually post an update instead of editing the last one again.

The bad news is I'm still on the first comic (wanted to go on to the second and longest comic by now). The good news is that it's over half way done, with roughly 7 panels left. And, if I dig deep today, might get the first comic done this week.

And now for a behind-the-scenes bonus!

For one panel, I started with a screenshot from a MNOLG file set to 100% and full resolution. Then I added a ton of layers, added some effects, and overall darkened it, and it came out as a gorgeous piece of art.

comparison_of_shots.png

P.S. Yes, that's a Ga-Matoran running up the steps.

Anyway, that's about all for now as far as updates go. Only thing left to tell you is comic zero is set to be released on the 26th of this month (should everything go according to plan. Tery, how do you do it?)! As always, keep checking back for more updates and stay frosty!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Just a couple things to point out:

1. The lightning could use some work. It looks too much like lines with a blurry outline. A couple of effects could fix that up easily.

2. The platform is a bit blurry. In the original, you see how sharp the platform is? That's what you want, but with the edits you included.

3. It's super dark to the point where I barely noticed the Ga-Matoran. Also, the white stands out from the black, which is not entirely the effect you want. I would try to make it a pale grey. Something slightly darker than white (maybe even a little blue-ish) to show the light from the lightning, but keep the darkness apparent.

Other than that, it looks really nice. You changed the mood very expertly, which is the kind of effect you really want to have. :)

-Rez

• Upvote 1

1. The lightning could use some work. It looks too much like lines with a blurry outline. A couple of effects could fix that up easily.

2. The platform is a bit blurry. In the original, you see how sharp the platform is? That's what you want, but with the edits you included.

3. It's super dark to the point where I barely noticed the Ga-Matoran. Also, the white stands out from the black, which is not entirely the effect you want. I would try to make it a pale grey. Something slightly darker than white (maybe even a little blue-ish) to show the light from the lightning, but keep the darkness apparent.

Other than that, it looks really nice. You changed the mood very expertly, which is the kind of effect you really want to have. :)

-Rez

Yeah, I didn't want to blur it, but I had to to get rid of the side pixelation from where I ripped it.

What kind of effects would you suggest for lightning? Because this is certainly not the last lightning this series will see.

And I hadn't thought of the blue for the lighting effect, I might do that. I did want that lighting to stand out, though, so I won't darken it too much. But I think I did darken my character a bit more than I usually do, so I'll probably fix that. But thank you for critiquing, I really appreciate it.

In other news, all the panels for the first comic are done (once I address any issues presented in the portion above. And if you're lucky, I may post a prologue to the entire saga next week. Comic zero will come out on the 26th as planned. Keep checking back for more updates!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 2 weeks later...

-Rez

Yeah, I didn't want to blur it, but I had to to get rid of the side pixelation from where I ripped it.

What kind of effects would you suggest for lightning? Because this is certainly not the last lightning this series will see.

And I hadn't thought of the blue for the lighting effect, I might do that. I did want that lighting to stand out, though, so I won't darken it too much. But I think I did darken my character a bit more than I usually do, so I'll probably fix that. But thank you for critiquing, I really appreciate it.

In other news, all the panels for the first comic are done (once I address any issues presented in the portion above. And if you're lucky, I may post a prologue to the entire saga next week. Comic zero will come out on the 26th as planned. Keep checking back for more updates!

try white lines with blue/purple/yellow blur 

Lightning_hits_tree.jpg

see on this image how the lightning has a white shine and a purple glow around it (though I don't even know if you can put different colored blur around a line)

Edited by Toa Aeron
  • Upvote 1

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

(though I don't even know if you can put different colored blur around a line)

You can. You just make a feathered outline [selection] of the said image and fill in the selection with a color of choice.

-Rez

Ok, cool. I'll definitely play around with that. I definitely want the lightning to have a blue tone to it. It's a bit...symbolic I guess.

And this is going to be a modified sprite comic. It's taking aspects of Mnolgscck, dss, and rayg 2.5 and...changing them up a bit. See, I vectorize the mnolg characters in inkscape and get them the size I want and save them so they don't look pixelated and stay relatively sharp. The smaller sprite I use for distant and background characters and blur them a bit so they appear just distant. Make sense?

Also, since some good stuff has happened in my life lately, I won't be making comics as much as I want but hopefully I will find time in the school year to work on them. But, this is exactly why I wanted at least one done so I have a buffer as far as scheduling and production. Also, comic 2 shouldn't be too effect based, mostly blurs and character editing, since I don't have to draw every. single. drop. And puddle. And ripple. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but the environment took forever! The next one will be sunny, I'll give you that much. XD Anyway, comic 0 is coming out the 26th as planned so come back for that and more updates!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Comic 0 is released.

I made this one quite some time ago before I had certain templates for comic consistency, so the style isn't quite the same, but since it's a flashback comic, I decided I could get away with it. :P That's also why there's only two original images in it as well, I wanted to establish the time and the situation. I'll probably do some more comics that have promo art as some panels, but I don't think I'll do them as much as I did this one.

I have an idea of when I want to post comic 1, but I'm not sure if I want to post it late August or early September. It really depends on how #2 comes along in its production.

Don't forget comments and criticism!

• Upvote 1

new_sig_legacy_2.png

This seems interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

This seems interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Thank you! I'm definitely going to make it as interesting as I can and fill it with lots of action and mystery. I'm glad you're interested!

Yay! Another great comic emerges!

Well, thank you for your support! I certainly hope I can live up to your expectations. I plan on it becoming a great epic, so stay tuned.  ;)

However, as a slight change of plans might have to happen for comic 2. I might have to release it a little later than I wanted to due to the fact that I haven't even started the first panel. Comic one is completely finished though, with all the changes noted above addressed as best I can (lightning looks way better now! Thanks Reznas and Toa Aeron!  :) ). I'll release it probably September 6th so I still retain my buffer and I might have time to release the next one on time. It depends on my life workload since life is a bit important to being prosperous and I enjoy being prosperous. But, yes, September 6th is when I will post comic 1. And, of course, I'll post some more extra stuff in between. So keep checking back for more new stuff.  B-)

new_sig_legacy_2.png

So here is a nice character bio. If you've played MNOLG 2, you'll know who this is.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TNT-DJVezon/Comics/NewDawn/kai_bio.png

The shadow didn't come through like I thought it would, so I'll play with it and make it better next time.

The outline on her right leg should be darker to make it look closer (as an image) to the left leg

Edit: Large quoted image linked.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

The outline on her right leg should be darker to make it look closer (as an image) to the left leg

Ya know, I've had that piece from the MNOLGSCCK for so long and always thought it looked weird and until you said that, I had no clue what to do with it. Thank you!  ^_^

Let's hope that wasn't sarcastic...

Ya know, I've had that piece from the MNOLGSCCK for so long and always thought it looked weird and until you said that, I had no clue what to do with it. Thank you! ^_^

Nah, it's not sarcasm. I seriously always looked at it and always thought it was strange since the colors were off. I guess it was a case where you look at something too long you begin to not notice stuff like that. I dunno. I'm just glad someone pinpointed the problem so I can fix it in the future.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Ya know, I've had that piece from the MNOLGSCCK for so long and always thought it looked weird and until you said that, I had no clue what to do with it. Thank you! ^_^
Nah, it's not sarcasm. I seriously always looked at it and always thought it was strange since the colors were off. I guess it was a case where you look at something too long you begin to not notice stuff like that. I dunno. I'm just glad someone pinpointed the problem so I can fix it in the future.

I looked at the image for 2 secs and understood that the outline color on her right leg was off maybe ya gotta pay a little more attention

Edited by Toa Aeron

I looked at the image for 2 secs and understood that the outline color on her right leg was off maybe ya gotta pay a little more attention

Well, the thing is, if you've been looking at something for a long time, you get desensitized to it. You won't notice things like that. He must have drawn that foot, and just couldn't quite tell what was wrong, because he's used to how it looks. His brain thinks it's right, but he knows it's wrong.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Well, the thing is, if you've been looking at something for a long time, you get desensitized to it. You won't notice things like that. He must have drawn that foot, and just couldn't quite tell what was wrong, because he's used to how it looks. His brain thinks it's right, but he knows it's wrong.
Yeah, all that is pretty much what happened. The only thing is I didn't make the original foot, I found it in the original mnolgscck topic years ago, and saw other people use it without batting an eye. I knew something was off, but no one else said anything, so I went with it. It won't be hard to fix the original, though. It won't be fixed for the first comic, but it probably won't be too noticeable in it. I could possibly fix it for comic two, though. I have a lot of Le Matoran to make.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 4 weeks later...

Before I begin, I would like to apologize for the lack of attention and material output that has happened. I am extremely busy with school, band, church, job, girlfriend, and weird parents just as I expected I would be. So, I haven't forgotten about this, just haven't had time.

So, comic 1 will come out sometime either remainder of this week or next week. I haven't started the second comic, but I need to just go ahead and put out #1 because you've all waited long enough. I hate it when hype gets built for something and it never happens and I would hate for this to happen to this project.

With all that being said, comic two will begin production...when I get to it. I really thought I would have more time over the summer to get the first 5ish comics done, but, we know how that turned out. -_- Anyway, I at least know how my first panel is going to be, and for me, that's huge. First impressions are always extremely important to me. It's like an essay, it has to have a good hook to get the reader's attention.

Anywho, hype train 2015 and stuff. BIONICLE is coming back and comic 1 of this series is coming really soon. So keep checking back for more updates! B)

Edit: So, I was going to upload the first comic but Brickshelf is being weird (keeps logging me out). I guess I'll upload it when it stops.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, this is really cool. Definitely holds the Bionicle vibe so far, and its cool to see a story from Matoran perspectives.

Also, I have to ask, do you draw all the images yourself, or do you use MNOG assets?

Thanks! I use MNOLG assets when I can, but I try to make whatever image in my head come on the screen as much as I can, and sometimes, MNOLG just doesn't offer that. So I end up having to make my own objects. The scene where Nixie is looking down at Kai from the telescope is a prime example. The ridge of the platform is completely original.

new_sig_legacy_2.png