The Bionicle OST

So since this didn't go so well being partnered as a bonus topic in one of my previous threads, I'm going to make into it's own thread.

From the original thread:

"If you could choose a more main-stream band to have created music for Bionicle, who would you choose? Personally, I would of choose Iron Maiden."

But here is my new idea:

If you could choose any band to do the music for Bionicle, who would it be?

No Pop music, No rap, and No Country. I don't care about the Piraka Rap. That doesn't count in this.

I apologize for the limits. if you can find a song or band/artist from these genre's that could fit Bionicle, feel free to share it. But I'm going to be honest with all of you; I don't think pop and country fit Bionicle, but that is my opinion.

My Band of choice: Iron Maiden

when you think of a band or Artist: Assume Lego had the money to hire that band or Artist at the time.

Now allow me to explain why I came up with this thread idea:

I have to admit, I wasn't satisfied with the artists and songs that were used for Bionicle. What was with the grunge obsession? Although, out of all the songs Bionicle had; Caught in a Dream, Hero, Move Along, and Gravity Hurts were my favorites. They weren't grunge. Hero and Caught in a Dream were and I can say confidently; heavy metal songs (But Hero is kind of depressing). Gravity Hurts I'm guessing was alternative Rock (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but either way, it is not a grunge song). Move Along was another one of my favorites even though it was not originally meant for Bionicle. I have to say this though: My mind lumps Hero and Gravity Hurts in with the grunge songs.

Now in regards to my choice (you don't have to explain your choice if you don't want to):

I feel that Heavy Metal is fitting for Bionicle because of how the storyline grew and got darker. Heavy Metal often has songs with serious tones much like how Bionicle got as it went on. Plus Bionicle's are Semi-organic robots.... Not much else to say really.

Just a disclaimer: I don't hate Face me or Creeping in my soul.

Edited by BlackIronAlchemist

Personally I think the best music/soundtracks from Bionicle were those that fused ancient or pre-modern with contemporary or futuristic music styles. It fits the setting well, I think. The Nui Jaga fight tune from MNOG is a good example.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

No Pop music, No rap, and No Country.

Why not? I can't stand rap or country but I don't really see the need to restrict them.

Given the choice, I'd choose The Glitch Mob.

Partly because I feel they have a much more exotic sound than many other groups out there which fits with the more "tribal" side of the story, while the glitchy aspect fits with the biomechanical side of the story.

But mostly because I'm a massive fanboy.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Personally I think the best music/soundtracks from Bionicle were those that fused ancient or pre-modern with contemporary or futuristic music styles. It fits the setting well, I think. The Nui Jaga fight tune from MNOG is a good example.

I think MNOLGII's Ga-Koro material was a perfect example of this.

I feel like people will hate me when I say Skrillex, but I've always been a sucker for dubstep. However they should tell him to incorporate tribal elements into it. I mean, then we would have a tribal-technological feel that much of BIONICLE had. Plus, could you imagine how sick that the powerpack cd music could have been? Everything goes better with a bass drop.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Why not? I can't stand rap or country but I don't really see the need to restrict them.

Yeah, since you're asking people their opinions, it doesn't make much sense to create a "some opinions are more valid than others" atmosphere.

Honestly, I'm not all that musically literate, so I don't know a whole lot of musicians by name. I feel like maybe Mark Mothersbaugh (who wrote The LEGO Movie's score) could have written some cool BIONICLE music. Jay Vincent and Mike Kramer, who write the music for the LEGO Ninjago cartoon, also seem like they could add a lot of personality to the BIONICLE score, particularly if they integrate a good blend of electronic sounds and more traditional rhythms.

But my number one choice has got to be Mike Oldfield. I've loved his music ever since I first heard it (my dad had a lot of it on CD when I was in elementary and middle school). I "rediscovered" Mike Oldfield around 2006 or 2007, when I was first becoming really active in the online BIONICLE community. His albums Tres Lunas, The Songs of Distant Earth, and Light and Shade all have a magnificent sound that could have fit wonderfully in the BIONICLE score.

Adele? (I donno, Skyfall sounds like a 2007-arc song to me.)

I don't know as much about modern music as I would like to, but if Lego ever hired somebody like Hans Zimmer or Thomas Bergersen to compose a score for Bionicle, I would be over the moon.

• Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I'm not all that musically literate either, but I've never been a fan of any kind of rock. If Bionicle had kept it's same feel from the earlier years, Darren Korb (Bastion :D) would have been awesome. He knows how to incorporate electronic and western smoothly to create a great atmosphere, and his song lyrics are interesting and haunting. I'm sure it wouldn't be much of a stretch for him to do some island/Metru-Nui style stuff.

Yeah, I just love the Bastion soundtrack. And I don't know much other music.

Edited by Click

Maybe I'm an utter dork, but I think Muse's style could fit well with BIONICLE. Their "Exogenesis Symphony" tracks from the end of their Uprising album always give me serious BIONICLE vibes. ("Spread our cause to the stars / You must rescue us all"... now tell me that doesn't make you think of Mata Nui...) And the musical style is right up BIONICLE's alley, too.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Maybe I'm an utter dork, but I think Muse's style could fit well with BIONICLE. Their "Exogenesis Symphony" tracks from the end of their Uprising album always give me serious BIONICLE vibes. ("Spread our cause to the stars / You must rescue us all"... now tell me that doesn't make you think of Mata Nui...) And the musical style is right up BIONICLE's alley, too.

I think Muse would be good for BIONICLE too.

I'd just want something from Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Iron Man movies, Pacific Rim), Murray Gold (Torchwood and Doctor Who) or Alan Silvestri (Avengers and Back to the Future) because I listen mostly epic orcherstral music. People say that I don't listen real music at all because I love soundtrack music.

• Upvote 1

Brace yourselves, Klaanon is coming...

I'm not a fan of heavy metal, personally. There are a few songs that could fit the franchise, but I'm not completely sold on it being the main genre for it.

I'm a fan of soundtracks more than I am a fan of music with lyrics, so my personal pick is Daniel Korb. He's the resident composer at Supergiant Games, who produced Bastion and Transistor. Bastion was my first introduction to his work, and it's really like nothing I've heard before. It's the perfect blend of electronica/ambience and a kind of acoustic folk country sound (Firefly/Firefilk, I guess?), and he makes them sound great together (examples here, here and here, also Build That Wall because why not?). I've only just started listening to Transistor, which is a more classical sci-fi adventure, but I think his talent for mixing two different styles of music and still retaining the feel for both would absolutely rock the tribal-robot fusion that Bionicle is.

Seriously, I would throw all sorts of money to see him on that kind of project.

As for another pick, Trent Reznor. Trent has rock/industrial/post-industrial roots, but he also does some great electronic/ambiance kind of work when he and Atticus Ross collaborate on movie scores. The Social Network and The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo were both fantastic and I think they fit the mood well.

Also, I always have been and probably always will be a fan of Hans Zimmer. I know some people say that he's stagnated with his "cinematic sound" being the majority of his newer compositions, but I don't care. Time always gets me. Every single time. Pun not intended. He'd do some pretty awesome stuff with Bionicle. I'd love to see some classic themes remixed with his orchestral style.

I would choose folk music like the band Hedningarna. They are one of those bands that mixes old instruments with modern ones

You, Sir, win the internet.

Back in 2001, back before Napster went under, my sister- who's 7 years older than me- was big into pirating weird techno stuff. So, when Bionicle hit, I adopted a bunch of her music for Bionicle- including Vargtimmen, by Hedningarna, and renamed it "The Chronicler's Chronicle". It's kept that name in my music folder ever since. I recently discovered the rest of their music, and I recommend Raven and Tuuli for newcomers.

So, let's see. Among that 2001 Napster mix were several songs by Juno Reactor, namely God is God and Conga Fury. I don't have my music folders with me, so I can't check 'em, but I know there were a few Infected Mushroom songs in there, as well. Even "Desert Search for Techno Allah" by Mr. Bungle made it in there... I can remember my Toa Mata slugging it out with Tarakava along a Le-Wahi footpath to that song. Oh, right in the nostalgia!

That said, if I had to choose any composer, right here, right now, to score a Bionicle OST, I would choose French composer Woodkid- who is currently collaborating with Pharrell and Hans Zimmer, by the way. His debut song was in the Assasin's Creed: Revelations trailer, and the Assassin's Creed 3 trailer is way better with his 'Run Boy Run' song than with the mediocre dubstep they actually used. The Deer his ear for epic, and Volcano proves his knack for techno. And, his lightshow is way, way more epic in person. But it's possible I'm a biased fanboy ;)

Or, if you want a feasible option, you can hire Justin Luchter- who scored MNOG- right here on his website.

- Heir

Edited by Heir of the Chronicler

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Why not?  I can't stand rap or country but I don't really see the need to restrict them.

Yeah, since you're asking people their opinions, it doesn't make much sense to create a "some opinions are more valid than others" atmosphere.

Honestly, I'm not all that musically literate, so I don't know a whole lot of musicians by name. I feel like maybe Mark Mothersbaugh (who wrote The LEGO Movie's score) could have written some cool BIONICLE music. Jay Vincent and Mike Kramer, who write the music for the LEGO Ninjago cartoon, also seem like they could add a lot of personality to the BIONICLE score, particularly if they integrate a good blend of electronic sounds and more traditional rhythms.

But my number one choice has got to be Mike Oldfield. I've loved his music ever since I first heard it (my dad had a lot of it on CD when I was in elementary and middle school). I "rediscovered" Mike Oldfield around 2006 or 2007, when I was first becoming really active in the online BIONICLE community. His albums Tres Lunas, The Songs of Distant Earth, and Light and Shade all have a magnificent sound that could have fit wonderfully in the BIONICLE score.

Dude, I don't like Rap or country and I am not big on Pop.

Why not?  I can't stand rap or country but I don't really see the need to restrict them.

Doesn't matter. If you're going to ask other people's opinions then you have to accept that their opinions might differ from yours, rather than just setting up arbitrary standards for which responses are valid and which are not.
  • Upvote 2

Doesn't matter. If you're going to ask other people's opinions then you have to accept that their opinions might differ from yours, rather than just setting up arbitrary standards for which responses are valid and which are not.

My dislikes aside, I don't believe Rap (excluding the piraka rap), Country, and pop fit Bionicle. If you guys don't agree with my standards, you are more than welcome to make your own thread.

My dislikes aside, I don't believe Rap (excluding the piraka rap), Country, and pop fit Bionicle. If you guys don't agree with my standards, you are more than welcome to make your own thread.

We don't have to make a new thread just to disagree with your opinion. Personally I do think rap possibly could have fit 2008 to some extent if it were done right. Country, on the other hand, fits nothing that isn't rural USA in my opinion. 

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

We don't have to make a new thread just to disagree with your opinion. Personally I do think rap possibly could have fit 2008 to some extent if it were done right. Country, on the other hand, fits nothing that isn't rural USA in my opinion.

I apologize for putting the limitations in. Now I will cave and agree that rap would fit if done right. But I am still standing by my opinion that Pop and country would not fit Bionicle at all.

Hero and Caught in a Dream were and I can say confidently; heavy metal songs

no.

also, not a single song used for Bionicle was ever grunge, so.. what?

Alright, fine they weren't metal. But they definitely sounded metal-ish in my opinion.

Edited by BlackIronAlchemist